PDA

View Full Version : The Wind

mikush14
03-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Well...it explains it all. We are car camping, and scheming to get some sort of canopy tent (10 ft by 10 ft) at this rate. I am no Coachella newb, but have never camped, so maybe I am since I have never experienced where the real fun is at!

Anyways, how windy does it get at night? Would one of those standard canopy tents (ez up or something similar) hold up...we are planning on getting one with walls, and then getting highly reflective tarps to keep us nice and cool in the canopy as well maybe keep it a little more dark so we can get SOME sleep.

They do not have the greatest internal structure (most are made out of plastic), but we would of course be staking it into the ground. Should I be concerned about my canopy getting blown over, or worse yet, broken by the wind?

Thanks

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Well...it explains it all. We are car camping, and scheming to get some sort of canopy tent (10 ft by 10 ft) at this rate. I am no Coachella newb, but have never camped, so maybe I am since I have never experienced where the real fun is at!

Anyways, how windy does it get at night? Would one of those standard canopy tents (ez up or something similar) hold up...we are planning on getting one with walls, and then getting highly reflective tarps to keep us nice and cool in the canopy as well maybe keep it a little more dark so we can get SOME sleep.

They do not have the greatest internal structure (most are made out of plastic), but we would of course be staking it into the ground. Should I be concerned about my canopy getting blown over, or worse yet, broken by the wind?
Thanks

It does get windy and we saw some of the canopies break last year. We just staked ours down good with tent stakes and ours was fine. I do think the metal frame canopies are better though and rated higher for the wind.

shoegazer76
03-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Anyways, how windy does it get at night? Thanks

Windy enough to blow Coldplay off stage.

DarkOnFire
03-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Windy enough to blow Coldplay off stage.

If that happened, they'd apologise to the wind for being in its way.

shoegazer76
03-02-2011, 04:38 PM
It seriously did happen in 05. Chris Martin got blown right off his piano stool & rolled like a tumbleweed acrross the stage. My tent didn't survive either.

guedita
03-02-2011, 04:54 PM

Thanks

The wind was fucking nuts last year. I spent like $100 on a metal EZ up canopy and when we came back after The Gorillaz it was bent, totally destroyed, and collapsed on top of our tent. It took us forever to even get it off of our tent and then it was just a stupid heap of metal....terrible.

There's no way of telling now, of course, if the wind will be like it was last year--but my advice is not to spend too much money on getting something and hoping for the best.

Stickjohn
03-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Someone local feel free to weigh in but I don't think it's windy at night - it's more during the day. So plan for wind when you leave to go into the festival. Would suck to have a rental car damaged because someone didn't stake down their stuff.

shoegazer76
03-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Someone local feel free to weigh in but I don't think it's windy at night - it's more during the day. So plan for wind when you leave to go into the festival. Would suck to have a rental car damaged because someone didn't stake down their stuff.

No StickJohn night is when its most brutal. I live out in the desert and it gets fierce at night.

bemerritt
03-02-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm sure your neighbors will love the reflective tarps.

stepup2stepout
03-02-2011, 10:22 PM
R_qkhGCQF9w

billtino
03-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Don't get too carried away and spend over $100 on a canopy. That wind will tear your shit up. Mine lasted 3 Coachellas (wind finally won last year), think I paid $39.99 for it.

Stickjohn
03-02-2011, 11:25 PM
well someone's gotta post this againqo6Go_HZhQQ

tikiavenger
03-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Also regarding sleeping: I wouldn't count on bringing a canopy to create shade so you can "sleep in". You WILL get up by 7am every day. Even if you do manage to create shade, it will still be too hot to sleep.

shoegazer76
03-03-2011, 12:31 AM
well someone's gotta post this againqo6Go_HZhQQ

Back in the midwest this is considered a tornado but out here in the desert its a mere dust devil.

shoegazer76
03-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Also regarding sleeping: I wouldn't count on bringing a canopy to create shade so you can "sleep in". You WILL get up by 7am every day. Even if you do manage to create shade, it will still be too hot to sleep.

Sorry my friend but you are wrong. The sun starts to heat up yr tent about 11am. A shade will buy you an hr or 2 (especially with gray/silver reflective tarp. If you utilize a screened door (or2) on yr tent maybe an extra hr. Add a battery operated fan & maybe another hr.

BROKENDOLL
03-03-2011, 02:21 AM

Thanks

No need to freak out over that video. Those dust devils happen, but rarely do they get like that particular one that day. (It was a weird occurrence, no doubt.) Anyway...
I know that usually about 2-3 weeks before the fest we seem to get a good breeze at the end of the day just as the sun is setting. And, when I did my practice tent setup in the backyard, we almost had the "kite thing" going on over Monroe street. It subsided in time for the festival to begin, but I believe on Saturday night of last year, many of us came back after the show to find a windblown look to our sites. Our EZup survived, but I did see some totally thrashed. Just make sure you have plenty of tent stakes. If anything, if the wind should show up, undo 2 legs and secure them into a slanted shade source until it stops blowing.

Stickjohn
03-03-2011, 04:18 PM
A few years ago I camped near some women that put their EZ Up only half way up (all four legs extended halfway.) They had chairs that sat fairly low to the ground and had more shade. Definitely seemed like they knew what they were doing.