PDA

View Full Version : Frusciante and Flea - Best Guitar/Bassist in a single Band?

toggle
03-08-2007, 03:34 PM
........so I was trying to think of another band that can top Frusciante and Flea as far as Guitarist and Bassist in the same band. best I can come up with is Adam Jones and Justin Chancellor from TOOL. still...and I like TOOL way more than RHCPs...I think Frusciante has way more range than Jones, while Flea and Chancellor is a sort of tie. (cue rabid TOOL fans)

Les and Lar from Primus?

anyone?

Rochec
03-08-2007, 03:35 PM
RHCPs are an embarassment to this great festival.

Oh and my vote is for Jack White, greatest guitar and bass player in one band.

matsuolost
03-08-2007, 03:47 PM
radiohead

woogie846
03-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones could be the best banjo/bassist if that counts whatsoever.

suprefan
03-08-2007, 03:55 PM
radiohead

Wait though, Jonny and Colin or Ed and Colin? Tough choice but odds are you are reffering to the Greenwoods...

toggle
03-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones could be the best banjo/bassist if that counts whatsoever.

...yeah, that counts. cite us a song or two for consideration.

wmgaretjax
03-08-2007, 04:00 PM
fuck no. Radiohead possibly, Greenwood for sure.

Flecktones are an interesting possibility.

To be honest. I don't give a shit about bass players. Music that has showy (ridiculous masturbatory talent required) bass... sucks.

Fuck the red hot chili peppers. I can't stand that crap.

MrAmeche
03-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Garcia/Lesh

wmgaretjax
03-08-2007, 04:05 PM

To be honest. I don't give a shit about bass players. Music that has showy (ridiculous masturbatory talent required) bass... sucks.

bartelby
03-08-2007, 04:08 PM
greenwoods are the shit

im so indie
03-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Frusciante is horrible. He has stiff fingers. Good writer and all, just not a techinically good guitar player.

There are many bands with more talent i.e. Dream Theater, Van Halen, etc.

But as far as great dynamic together, my votes are for Radiohead, My Morning Jacket, and Tool

matsuolost
03-08-2007, 04:20 PM
colin greenwood and jonny the controller

i_like_cake530
03-08-2007, 04:29 PM

worst post ever

i_like_cake530
03-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Garcia/Lesh

hell yea

i_like_cake530
03-08-2007, 04:39 PM
ok i got it...

1. Entwistle, and Townshend (the who)
2. Flea and Frusciante (RHCP)

if you dont believe me... Watch Entwistle on this solo he fucken rocks
[/URL]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr81olQ1ibk&mode=related&search= (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr81olQ1ibk&mode=related&search=)

Tylerdurden31
03-08-2007, 04:40 PM
I'll say the best 2 guitarist combination ever is Ian MacKaye and Guy Picciotto

woogie846
03-08-2007, 04:42 PM
...yeah, that counts. cite us a song or two for consideration.

All of them.

toggle
03-08-2007, 04:45 PM
I'll say the best 2 guitarist combination ever is Ian MacKaye and Guy Picciotto

good call, though I suspect some protest from Radiohead legion.

I'd also chime in with the MC5 - Fred 'Sonic' Smith and Wayne Kramer - who I think set the standard. If you listen to some of the exchange and layering on "Looking on You", it really just seems so far beyond what anyone else was doing.

bmack86
03-08-2007, 04:52 PM
How about bootsy collins and Eddie Hazel?
Also Jimi Hendrix and Billy Cox

bmack86
03-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Or Michael Karoli and Holger Czukay. There's a bass/guitar duo that could destroy your mind.

Down Rodeo
03-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Entwistle and Townshend definitely.

Or maybe Cliff Burton and Kirk Hammett from Metallica.

Rochec
03-08-2007, 04:59 PM
ok i got it...

1. Entwistle, and Townshend (the who)
2. Flea and Frusciante (RHCP)

if you dont believe me... Watch Entwistle on this solo he fucken rocks
[/URL]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr81olQ1ibk&mode=related&search= (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr81olQ1ibk&mode=related&search=)

And you dared to call my sarcastic post the worst ever.

You sir are more of an embarassment than that crappy band.

MarkO
03-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Frusciante is horrible. He has stiff fingers. Good writer and all, just not a techinically good guitar player.

There are many bands with more talent i.e. Dream Theater, Van Halen, etc.

But as far as great dynamic together, my votes are for Radiohead, My Morning Jacket, and Tool

Save it with the 'technical' argument. Who really gives a toss about the technical aspect of it.

wmgaretjax
03-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Or Michael Karoli and Holger Czukay. There's a bass/guitar duo that could destroy your mind.

yes. that is my vote.

bmack86
03-08-2007, 06:39 PM
yes. that is my vote.

You win the awesome prize. Congrats

woogie846
03-08-2007, 07:13 PM
PB and J

woogie846
03-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Kenan and Kel

C DUB YA
03-08-2007, 07:30 PM
page / jones

toggle
03-08-2007, 07:39 PM
page / jones

...thanks for that....I was just about to post about how John Paul Jones is the most underated bassist in popular music history. I mean...take him out of 'Ramble On' and it's just Robert Plant singing about hobbits.

anyhow, on the overlooked topic, I'd put Larry Lalonde forward as the most underated guitar player in music. I suppose that's bound to happen on the other side of Claypool....but his parts are just brilliant.

C DUB YA
03-08-2007, 07:42 PM
his talents got a little "outshined" by Page and Plant, and Bohnam's antics to say the least.

That was one amazing 4-some.

joebizz
03-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Tom Morrelo and Brad Wilk will kick Fruciante and Flea's ass!

toggle
03-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Tom Morrelo and Brad Wilk will kick Fruciante and Flea's ass!

there's so much wrong with this sentence....I just wouldn't even know where to start....

(and incidentally, there's no way Tim Commerford is in the same boat as Flea.)

joebizz
03-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Just waiting for someone to say that. Message board people are so damn predictable! It's like asking,"who is the best artist? Michaelanglo, Goya, Alex Grey, or Dali?" It is a matter of taste, my friends. Technical, dark, spiritual, or funky? You choose, but none are better than the other. I just wrote that Morrello and Wilk are my favorites, and added the ass kicking part to get a rise out of the purists. Have fun with it.

Tylerdurden31
03-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Just waiting for someone to say that. Message board people are so damn predictable! It's like asking,"who is the best artist? Michaelanglo, Goya, Alex Grey, or Dali?" It is a matter of taste, my friends. Technical, dark, spiritual, or funky? You choose, but none are better than the other. I just wrote that Morrello and Wilk are my favorites, and added the ass kicking part to get a rise out of the purists. Have fun with it.

I believe the point is that Brad Wilk is the drummer, not the bassist...

Lounge Fly
03-08-2007, 08:52 PM

Well I agree with you 100% (yeah and I know you meant Tim Commerfield but add Wilk to the mix and I think you have the best trio ever to make up a band from the instrumental standpoint as far as pure talent and innovation). And if you read any of my post here before, I'm far from a huge RATM fan but there is no arguing the amazing beats they have come up with in the past and hopefully will continue to write.

C DUB YA
03-08-2007, 08:54 PM
no.

science has proven the best trio ever is PAGE / JONES / BONHAM

Lounge Fly
03-08-2007, 09:02 PM
no.

science has proven

That part made me laugh, though your point is hard to argue against. I'll be honest I don't know much about Led Zeppelin and I don't listen to them much but I do know that Tim Commerfield has said he feels Zeppelin was the the best Band ever and best live performance one could see.

C DUB YA
03-08-2007, 09:06 PM
I know enough about them I guess, I'm not a huge Zep fan, but I can appreciate the talent, no doubt.

I agree with Tim.

I'm Rosetta Stoned
03-08-2007, 10:25 PM
TooL is the most talented band that has come out in the last 10 years. Flea is a good bass player Frusciante isnt nearly as good as omar from the Mars Volta or Paige Hamilton from Helmet. Scott Reader is very VERY close to Flea....

rage patton
03-08-2007, 10:35 PM
TooL is the most talented band that has come out in the last 10 years. Flea is a good bass player Frusciante isnt nearly as good as omar from the Mars Volta or Paige Hamilton from Helmet. Scott Reader is very VERY close to Flea....

Did you know John Frusciante played about 50% of the guitar tracks on the Mars Voltas latest release "Amputechture"? Omar wanted an unbiased view of some tracks on the album, so he didnt want himself to play them. He just wanted to hear them. So that makes Frusciante just as good as Omar. And I would say just that, they are both excellent guitarists.
However, on topic. Flea and Frusciante are definately one of the best today. I am not even gonna touch the past. Such as Townshend/Entwistle or Page/Jones. But today, I would say they are one of the best. My vote would be to Les Claypool and Lar. Their talent is undeniable.
Also, I wouldnt say Tom Morrello and Tim Commerford are the best guitar and bass mix. However, I would say Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk are arguably the strongest rhythm section in music today. Tom Morello just does his own thing. But Y Tim K and Brad Wilk are just so funky together.

I'm Rosetta Stoned
03-08-2007, 10:56 PM
That just proves he is a good studio guitar player playing in a studio and playing live is completley different.Adam Jones still surpasses everyone!

Lounge Fly
03-09-2007, 12:06 AM
That just proves he is a good studio guitar player playing in a studio and playing live is completley different.Adam Jones still surpasses everyone!

All these artists are fantastic and I don't know a whole lot about guitar playing other than a few basics. That being said though I have seen tons of live shows, dozens upon dozens of bands (many who are mentioned here on the boards) and I've seen pretty much everybody else live at some point on DVD or TV and there is only one person who consistently makes me drop my jaw and say 'how the hell did he do that' and thats Tom Morello.
Playing lightning fast and crazy slashing doesn't impress me much, its the different things he does that always makes me watch in awe.

BritAbroad
03-09-2007, 03:28 AM
Frusciante is probably the best guitarist in the world today. Actually, re-phrase that, he's probably my FAVOURITE guitarist in the world today...
Because he has got the chops but chooses mainly to reign them in, and his songwriting talent, musicianship and output is both prolific and consitently outstanding.

He basically taught Omar Mars Volta how to play the guitar, so the suggestion that he is better than Frusciante is pretty laughable.

charlie1
03-09-2007, 03:32 AM
Johhny Marr and Andy Rourke (The Smiths, obviously). Rourke is outstanding on This Charming Man, and Johnny.... oh Johnny.

Rochec
03-09-2007, 05:13 AM
This little band Rose Hill Drive who is on tour with The Who right now might be in this discussion someday in the near future.

Go listen to this kid play guitar...he's 19 or 20 now.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=8627592

The Guru is a good place to start, the drummer ain't too shabby either.

skuzzbukit
03-09-2007, 05:50 AM
I used to think that John Frusciante was stiff and couldn't really play, but I saw RHCPs live in January and the dude can actually shred.

Raw, technical, "masturbatory" talent - Billy Sheehan and Steve Vai

My favorite - Cliff Burton and James Hetfield (greatest rhythm player ever in my opinion)

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-09-2007, 05:50 AM
Red is better than blue

No it isn't! Green is better.

That's this thread in eleven words...

Tylerdurden31
03-09-2007, 05:58 AM
Red is better than blue

Actually...Purple is better than all of those

brycerosen
03-09-2007, 06:52 AM

You obviously know nothing about how to play a guitar if you think jack white is the greatest guitarist. RHCP is instrumentally one of the greatest bands of all time whether you like them or not.

rkawar
03-09-2007, 07:09 AM
i definitely agree with the people on the board who've said Johnny and Colin Greenwood... especially cuz johnny is my hero...

however, i think another addition would be the guys from muse. the guitarist/lead singer/pianist, is legend, and the bassist is phenomenal.

other candidates include bloc party, interpol (because paul banks is really good on guitar), and wolfmother... but not so much wolfmother.

PaulStrayer
03-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Just to name a few that blow Flea and Frusciante out of the water:

Eric Clapton & Jack Bruce
David Gilmour & Roger Waters
Kirk Hammett & Cliff Burton
Tony Iommi & Geezer Butler
Alex Lifeson & Geddy Lee

AEversW
03-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Vicor Wooten with anyone is great...i'd have to go with the Greenwoods though.

skuzzbukit
03-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Just to name a few that blow Flea and Frusciante out of the water:

Eric Clapton & Jack Bruce
David Gilmour & Roger Waters
Kirk Hammett & Cliff Burton
Tony Iommi & Geezer Butler
Alex Lifeson & Geddy Lee

Nice list...

The_blakeness
03-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Stop being RHCP haters! GO see them Sat you’ll change your mind! There amazing when Anthony stops singing and the band goes in to a crazy jam sesh you see how damn talented they really are!

Rochec
03-09-2007, 10:03 AM
You obviously know nothing about how to play a guitar if you think jack white is the greatest guitarist. RHCP is instrumentally one of the greatest bands of all time whether you like them or not.

I seem to have missed where I said he was the greatest guitarist. Nor did I see the Chili Peppers were poor instrumentalists.

toggle
03-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Red is better than blue

...yeah, I hear you on that point. I suppose it's eleven words to sum up this message board in general. still, you sit in a bar over beers with your buddies and get into these type of discussions...I suppose the language surrounding it is flawed, but it's about music and musicians rather than who should be on which stage and which fans suck more than others.

so...I guess I could have started another Insane Clown Posse thread..but at least this is interesting....

any favorites?

ttboy80
03-09-2007, 11:00 AM
OF TODAY... yeah probably.

Too bad the dude who sings and writes the lyrics has been shit lately!

Tylerdurden31
03-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Stop being RHCP haters! GO see them Sat you’ll change your mind! There amazing when Anthony stops singing and the band goes in to a crazy jam sesh you see how damn talented they really are!

you talk like anyone who has a bad opinion about them has never seen them before

prison sex
03-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Who the hell is Alex Jones?

As for arguing over this topic, it is so pointless. Who is a better musician is so subjective like trying to figure out who the best band out there is. I personally like Adam and Justin but I know plenty of people who don't. It's all a matter of personal opinion.

toggle
03-09-2007, 12:03 PM
...hmmm....good question....I think he's a big 9/11 conspiracy theorist guy I heard on KPFA once.

I'm Rosetta Stoned
03-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Jack White is a very very good guitar player.

brycerosen
03-09-2007, 03:29 PM
hes good and somewhat sloppy, but he is not great like frusciante or flea are

Mr.Nipples
03-09-2007, 03:44 PM
larry lelonde and les claypool(primus)
greg ginn and kira roessler(black flag((mid 80's)))
d boon and mike watt(the minutemen)
brain may and john deacon(queen)

this is just off the top of my head and will no doubt be edited...

ediger
03-09-2007, 03:57 PM

wow, congratulations for making yourself appear to be a closed minded idiot.

And yes, I agree that Flea and John are ONE of the best bass/guitar duos out there. I'm really getting sick of all the morons around here who seemingly have an immediate distaste for any band that has gotten popular. These are the same people who read about the latest buzz band in some magazine, go buy the CD and think they're so ahead of the crowd. Some bands get popular and big simply because they are good and actually have talent.

You may not like the Chili Peppers, that's fine, but fuck anyone who actually tried to convince people that nobody should listen to them or that they are untalented. Pretentious motherfuckers sitting around at home listening to Arcade Fire, smelling their own farts.

rage patton
03-09-2007, 04:07 PM
You may not like the Chili Peppers, that's fine, but fuck anyone who actually tried to convince people that nobody should listen to them or that they are untalented. Pretentious motherfuckers sitting around at home listening to Arcade Fire, smelling their own farts.

I agree with you until the Arcade Fire part.
Now you make yourself sound like a hipocrite.
Why does everyone need to bring the Arcade Fire into every argument lately?
If you dont like the Arcade Fire, dont see them!
If you dont like the Chili Peppers, dont see them! Im sure atleast 50,000 other people will gladly take your spot.

Rochec
03-09-2007, 04:42 PM

They've pretty much convinced anyone with any real credible music taste to not listen to them on their own. All of their music sounds exactly the same now and tends to repeat a lot of the same things. They've lost all originality and I think most people are really bored with the same old crap.

Their old stuff was fresh and intriguing, there new stuff is far from that.

And I concur that Jack White is a terrific guitar player, I think he's a better song writer than player, but watching him in concert is much more entertaining than most. It's half skill and half passion I think. You don't see too many artists like him on stage.

I'm Rosetta Stoned
03-09-2007, 06:33 PM
All I know is Justice is going to be better then Daft Punk...

rage patton
03-09-2007, 07:50 PM
All I know is Justice is going to be better then Daft Punk...

*raises eyebrows*
I didnt see Daft Punk last year... but I have seen clips and heard the stories.
If your expecting a show better than Daft Punks... your setting yourself up for failure. Although from what I have seen of Justice, thier stage show looks pretty sweet. But can it match Daft Punk?

smokealotapotamus
03-10-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm gonna go with Robert Randolph and Danyel Morgan from Robert Randolph and the Family Band. I havnt seen (or heard) anybody that rips the bass up like Morgan does. He's absolutely phenominal, and Randolph is a legend in the making. Just my :2c as far as the best Bassist/Guitarist duo in one group.
http://i15.tinypic.com/2jal1kx.jpg
Here's a pic from their Seattle show on Wednesday. It isnt Indy at all... so I'm sure a lot of regular board members wouldnt really "get into it" but any music lover should check these guys out live. They're touring right now. Go check 'em out if you can.

i_like_cake530
03-10-2007, 12:42 PM
And you dared to call my sarcastic post the worst ever.

You sir are more of an embarassment than that crappy band.

are u fucken kidding me you are ignorant... even if you don't like a certain band, real music fans know that it is still right to have respect and realize what this band means to a lot of people, the who is fucken amazing, same with RCHP, Jack white could make more money polishing their fucken shoes...

Rochec
03-10-2007, 05:31 PM
are u fucken kidding me you are ignorant... even if you don't like a certain band, real music fans know that it is still right to have respect and realize what this band means to a lot of people, the who is fucken amazing, same with RCHP, Jack white could make more money polishing their fucken shoes...

The Who is an amazing band, yet certainly not the most talented and by no means not the best in this topic. The RHCP, well I've already explained in here why most 'real' music fans have lost a lot of respect for them.

You call me ignorant and than make a stupid comment about a very successful musician shining shoes? Ok!

ayates
03-10-2007, 10:28 PM

Adam Jones is a mediocre guitar player. He just knows how to write cool riffs.

licketysplit101
03-10-2007, 10:52 PM
...thanks for that....I was just about to post about how John Paul Jones is the most underated bassist in popular music history. I mean...take him out of 'Ramble On' and it's just Robert Plant singing about hobbits.

anyhow, on the overlooked topic, I'd put Larry Lalonde forward as the most underated guitar player in music. I suppose that's bound to happen on the other side of Claypool....but his parts are just brilliant.

Yeah, the whole time i was reading this thread i was like "zeppelin? hello? Pardon me, do you have any grey poupon?" zeppelin is the greatest combination of talents ever. their records blow me away. Considering that Bonham is the best drummer ever, period, and Jimmie Page is the second best guitarist ever, and Robert Plant is one of the most influential rock frontmen of all time, that makes Jones on the bottom of the pack. But he totally kicks ass! The bass is pumpin on those tracks! He didn't change anything but he was definitely one of my favorite bassists. I do agree that primus does have a nice combo of talent, and they probably smoke zeps as far as speed and range and straight blow you away facemelting bass solos and crazy cool guitar fills, but they don't meld the way jim and two johns does.

ediger
03-11-2007, 01:42 PM
I agree with you until the Arcade Fire part.
Now you make yourself sound like a hipocrite.
Why does everyone need to bring the Arcade Fire into every argument lately?
If you dont like the Arcade Fire, dont see them!
If you dont like the Chili Peppers, dont see them! Im sure atleast 50,000 other people will gladly take your spot.

the Arcade Fire part really didn't have anything to do with my like or dislike of them. It just seems like 9 times out of 10, I'll see someone make some sort of "my shit don't stink" type of comment, they'll either have an Arcade Fire avatar or mention Arcade Fire in their post, so they've just almost become subconsciously attached to ignorant music fans in my mind. Not their fault, it's almost like when you see a stupid little punk rock kid who think that all music needs to be three power chords with shitty singing. Now I love my punk rock, but those types of punk fans make fans of punk music everywhere look stupid and in turn tend to make the band they constant flaunt look stupid.

As for me, I don't like Arcade Fire, so I'll just find another stage while they play. Why waste your time criticizing people for their musical tastes when you can just listen to the shit you want to and ignore them. But I mean, there's a line, I'll harass a Michael Bolton fan any day...

ediger
03-11-2007, 01:51 PM
They've pretty much convinced anyone with any real credible music taste to not listen to them on their own. All of their music sounds exactly the same now and tends to repeat a lot of the same things. They've lost all originality and I think most people are really bored with the same old crap.

Their old stuff was fresh and intriguing, there new stuff is far from that.

And I concur that Jack White is a terrific guitar player, I think he's a better song writer than player, but watching him in concert is much more entertaining than most. It's half skill and half passion I think. You don't see too many artists like him on stage.

uhhh, yeah....

Now I'll admit they Stadium Arcadium should not have been a double CD, there's enough tracks that should have been cut to eliminate a disc and have a solid 16 song album. Now explain to me how they are repeating the same old over and over. Listen to Blood Sugar Sex Magic, then Californication, then Stadium Arcadium. Yes, they all sound like the Chili Peppers, but thats about where it stops. The band definitely has a distinct style that carries through on all of their albums, but guess what? That's what having a unique sound is about. Stadium Arcadium tends to use a lot of the same effects in songs and similar tones, but that only adds to the continuity and flow of the album. Stadium Arcadium is in no way as good as BSSM or anything prior, but I have yet to figure out what people were expecting from them? A fucking country album?

Down Rodeo
03-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Considering that Bonham is the best drummer ever, period, and Jimmie Page is the second best guitarist ever, and Robert Plant is one of the most influential rock frontmen of all time, that makes Jones on the bottom of the pack. But he totally kicks ass! The bass is pumpin on those tracks! He didn't change anything but he was definitely one of my favorite bassists.

Great points about John Paul Jones; he definitely doesn't get the respect he deserves. If Jimmy Page is only the second best guitarist ever, though, who would be the best?

toggle
03-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Great points about John Paul Jones; he definitely doesn't get the respect he deserves. If Jimmy Page is only the second best guitarist ever, though, who would be the best?

...I would say that there is a general consensus on Hendrix....

Down Rodeo
03-11-2007, 05:09 PM
...I would say that there is a general consensus on Hendrix....

I could see that coming. Well played.

hangthedj112
03-11-2007, 05:22 PM
The Who is an amazing band, yet certainly not the most talented and by no means not the best in this topic. The RHCP, well I've already explained in here why most 'real' music fans have lost a lot of respect for them.

You call me ignorant and than make a stupid comment about a very successful musician shining shoes? Ok!

I can't stand RHCP either, but I don't get how disliking them makes you a "real" music fan. You've really set the elitist prick bar high on this board.

SometimesNJ
03-11-2007, 06:02 PM
i might have to go with the blecktones..but i dunno, this is tough

Trick Loves The Kids
03-11-2007, 07:05 PM
RHCP sucks and i don't care how good you are on your instrument if you make frat boy rock

BritAbroad
03-12-2007, 02:33 AM
I can't stand RHCP either, but I don't get how disliking them makes you a "real" music fan. You've really set the elitist prick bar high on this board.

hear hear

I hate all that bollocks about 'you can't be a real music fan if you like this band or that band.'

A 'real' music fan is someone who is prepared to listen to anything and realise that, although it may not be to their taste, it may be inspiring some kid somewhere, or someone the other side of the world may be really getting into it and is getting some joy from music.

Music is like food. People like different things. One day they might fancy some Indian food, then the next day Italian.
Nobody says you're not a 'real food fan' if you don't like Italian food.

There has always been that elitist bullshit regarding music - and while I think debating music is fantastic, anyone who is dismissive or rubbishes types of music because it's not cool or the band has got successful makes me kind of switch off listening to them. In my mind they're the ones who really don't understand what music's about and are more than likely forming their opinions from the pages of magazines.

meyouseek
03-12-2007, 09:47 AM
RHCP are a totally different band than they were 15 years ago. They ceased to make anything remotely cool, funky or relevant right after the release of Blood Sugar Sex Magic. Like, 2 seconds after.

I feel it was largely due to the success of Under The Bridge. A good tune, for sure... but it became the template for everything they've done from then on. It all sounds boring and formulaic.

To comment on the thread subject. Frusciante used to be given a chance and kicked ass, whether he rocks anymore is up for debate. Flea was a funky-ass bass player. Never the best. Now he's just an aging rock star asshole.

Alejo
03-13-2007, 02:23 PM
The real question here is.. do you preffer a good songwriter melodymaker etc.. or a virtuoso?...

ediger
03-13-2007, 03:18 PM
The real question here is.. do you preffer a good songwriter melodymaker etc.. or a virtuoso?...

melodymaker/songwriter no question about it. A super fast and technical solo can be impressive but music is about feeling. Nothing will ever beat a solo that takes the song to a totally different place and back again. Stairway to Heaven for instance. It's probably the most over referenced guitar solo ever, but it embodies everything a guitar solo should.

Rochec
03-13-2007, 07:05 PM

He actually made the comment about being a real music fan, I was just replying to it.

As for whoever was talking about earlier RHCP stuff sounding different, yes that's what I've said. Their new stuff is all the same crap.

La Ferrassie
03-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Here are some favies:
Flea/John Frusciante
John Entwhistle/Pete Townshend
John Paul Jones(underrated)/Jimmy Page
Eric Avery/Dave Navarro