PDA

View Full Version : Do I risk using a 12x12 canopy?

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Spots are 10x30 as we all know... do I risk having a 12x12? do I bring a few extra beers to give to neighbors? or what are your thoughts?

loubque
02-24-2011, 08:12 AM
im sure they wouldnt mind. maybe offer them some retreat from the sun also...

Fourthisto
02-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Extra beer will go a long way... And who wouldn't mind the extra shade on their side?

Unless, that is, they have some bigass tent/canopy action for themselves to set up and need every square foot.

Inthecolumbiagorge
02-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Spots are 10x30 as we all know... do I risk having a 12x12? do I bring a few extra beers to give to neighbors? or what are your thoughts?

Most people are cool and lots of people hook the shade canopies all down the middle of the camping row so you probably won't have any issue unless as was already mentioned your neighbor has an elaborate canopy already up.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Bribing with beer usually works, and if they did have a massive set up I would have to rearrange my set up to accommodate theirs. I also plan on using misters on the canopy so there is a possibility of them getting some of the mist as well.

mountmccabe
02-24-2011, 08:32 AM
You wouldn't get any room on my side if I were your neighbor; I am putting up a 10' x 10' shade canopy.

As long as you are not surrounded on both sides by such people you should be fine. Especially if you are happy to share your shade and beer. To up your chances of camping next to a neighbor that is in it might make sense to talk to other cars around you in line whilst checking in. You may find someone that would be thrilled to have a little bit of extra shade/beer/mist.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-24-2011, 08:35 AM
You wouldn't get any room on my side if I were your neighbor; I am putting up a 10' x 10' shade canopy.

As long as you are not surrounded on both sides by such people you should be fine. Especially if you are happy to share your shade and beer. To up your chances of camping next to a neighbor that is in it might make sense to talk to other cars around you in line whilst checking in. You may find someone that would be thrilled to have a little bit of extra shade/beer/mist.

I'm just worried I'd be next to some stern people who are like nah, man we don't want that post on our campsite. and then i'm stuck w/o a canopy all weekend.

This is a really tough call, I'm looking at buying a 10x10 canopy at Sport Chalet for $60 but I found this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Family-Camping-Starter-Bundle/15599769#Financing+Offers

Ozark Trail 13' x 10' Dome Camping Tent
2 Ozark Trail Deluxe Blue Chairs
Quik Shade Lawn & Garden 12' x 12' Instant Canopy

for a $100 and that canopy alone is about $100 ...

mountmccabe
02-24-2011, 08:55 AM
That does look like a good deal.

I really think the idea of finding someone down to camp next to before you're setting up is a good idea, though. In line might work but hell, there are plenty of people on this board what are camping and not all of them are planning on having any shade/bringing enough beer.

aphrael
02-24-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm just worried I'd be next to some stern people who are like nah, man we don't want that post on our campsite. and then i'm stuck w/o a canopy all weekend.

That seems incredibly unlikely to me. Generally speaking, campers are chill about such things ... and, particularly for your west-side neighbors, *you* having a canopy shades *them* during the early morning hours, which is a bonus. :)

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-24-2011, 09:03 AM
That does look like a good deal.

I really think the idea of finding someone down to camp next to before you're setting up is a good idea, though. In line might work but hell, there are plenty of people on this board what are camping and not all of them are planning on having any shade/bringing enough beer.

Yeah I think that's my best option, I may be caravaning in with a few friends, but this years coachella is so up in the air, no one has specific details, I figure though I got 50 days to solve this and putting up a 12x12 canopy shouldn't be the hardest thing in the world.

loubque
02-24-2011, 09:08 AM
I also plan on using misters on the canopy so there is a possibility of them getting some of the mist as well.

do you really need misters? Last year since I was out of the sun my camp was never hot.

Robin
02-24-2011, 09:16 AM
That seems incredibly unlikely to me. Generally speaking, campers are chill about such things ... and, particularly for your west-side neighbors, *you* having a canopy shades *them* during the early morning hours, which is a bonus. :)

We camped next to these girls last year, and they didn't even let us put our tent stakes in their site. grr.

But Dustin, if it's down to the wire, you're more than welcomed to caravan in with my crew and overlap your canopy in our site.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-24-2011, 09:18 AM
do you really need misters? Last year since I was out of the sun my camp was never hot.

Last year was amazingly cool the only day that was hot last year was Sunday, and it still wasn't that bad.

With the Indio heat, I'm preparing for the absolute worst.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-24-2011, 09:24 AM
We camped next to these girls last year, and they didn't even let us put our tent stakes in their site. grr.

But Dustin, if it's down to the wire, you're more than welcomed to caravan in with my crew and overlap your canopy in our site.

Thank you! I will keep you guys posted if it's coming to be time of the festival and I still haven't figured it out.

Robin
02-24-2011, 09:44 AM
np.
FYI - If you do roll with us, we plan on being at the camp grounds by about 1pm on Thursday. And no need to bring extra beers. We'll bring plenty. lol. We also have our own 10x20 screenhouse, so you can be totally greedy with your canopy.

Sublime
02-24-2011, 11:23 AM
I would just get there super early on Thursday and that way you have a little more selection as to who your neighbors are. If one says no, than you can flip 'em the bird and move on to the next one
WM1RChZk1EU

mountmccabe
02-24-2011, 01:39 PM
I would just get there super early on Thursday and that way you have a little more selection as to who your neighbors are. If one says no, than you can flip 'em the bird and move on to the next one

Ummm, this is not how things (are supposed to) work.

You are assigned a spot and that's the one you get. You don't move your car out of that spot until it is time to go. Coachella camping staff are trying to get thousands of cars into their spots; they'ren't gonna wanna deal with people picking and choosing.

Though, to be fair, last year one of the people I was camping with and I switched spots after the traffic was gone from the area, but we were adjacent to start with.

Mugwog
02-24-2011, 06:01 PM
Have a buddy with another pass? Camp together. Otherwise most neighbors are pretty cool, I've gone 7 years and had no run-ins with douche bags about being over the line. You never know who may be your neighbor though.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3157/2898850325_4fae0215c3.jpg

pinkladyam
02-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Have a buddy with another pass? Camp together. Otherwise most neighbors are pretty cool, I've gone 7 years and had no run-ins with douche bags about being over the line. You never know who may be your neighbor though.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3157/2898850325_4fae0215c3.jpg

^^LMAO at that pic! damn.

Stickjohn
02-24-2011, 09:49 PM

Agree. It sucks but you just have to be patient. Most of the douche bags that go over the line are just too stupid to do the math or the idiotic bros that have no concern for anyone else.

TheClares
02-24-2011, 11:40 PM
I agree you should find someone in the check in line or arrange to go in with a friend. In order to maximize my site, I will be parking close to the line on one side, with friends on the other. I also have a 10x10 EZ-Up, so physics alone will preclude you from setting up yours next to someone elses.

ZZERO
02-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Last year was bullshit, they didnt mark off the spots. We were in 12a pulled to spot about 45 mind after doors, and there weret lines between sites. You just got waved in and that was it.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Last year was bullshit, they didnt mark off the spots. We were in 12a pulled to spot about 45 mind after doors, and there weret lines between sites. You just got waved in and that was it.

Brittany said she talked to you yesterday and we might be caravaning in together!

mountmccabe
02-25-2011, 10:06 AM

We were in Lot 8 and the spots were definitely marked and they were definitely 10' wide. I had a 10' x 20' tent up over two spots and one of my camping neighbors had a 10' x 10' canopy over their tent and we fit.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-25-2011, 10:14 AM
We were in Lot 8 and the spots were definitely marked and they were definitely 10' wide. I had a 10' x 20' tent up over two spots and one of my camping neighbors had a 10' x 10' canopy over their tent and we fit.

I know the spot my group had last year was in Lot 8 and it was marked and defined.

If mine wouldn't be this year, no offense to my neighbors but I'm marking my shit off cause I need the space.

M Sparks
02-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Get a 10' to be safe. People are cool, but if you have a whole row of 10 x 10s on either side of you, it just won't be possible.

I just realized...I was thinking they were 15 x 30 for some reason. My new tent is a tad big, but it will still fit in my spot technically.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Get a 10' to be safe. People are cool, but if you have a whole row of 10 x 10s on either side of you, it just won't be possible.

I just realized...I was thinking they were 15 x 30 for some reason. My new tent is a tad big, but it will still fit in my spot technically.

It's a 12x12 base but a 9x9 top I think... But I already ordered it, and I'm just going to have to make all this stuff work I know a few other people camping so i'll have to caravan with them... I hate relying on other people but this may be the only way to make sure I get what I need done.

M Sparks
02-25-2011, 03:43 PM
You can get a straight leg 10 x 10 that will cover more area and fit for sure. But you already ordered it...

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-25-2011, 04:57 PM
You can get a straight leg 10 x 10 that will cover more area and fit for sure. But you already ordered it...

this was half the cost, so I'm ok with it, no complaints.

elbrycen
03-01-2011, 08:36 PM
when you park, just try to swing a little wide.