PDA

View Full Version : any photographers ?

zippytc
02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
hey has anyone used a g12 ? im thinking about buying one, so what does everyone think about them ? worth the money ? good quality ?

Stickjohn
02-23-2011, 07:17 PM
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonG12/

zippytc
02-23-2011, 07:32 PM
yea ive read alot of reviews, i was just wondering about personnel experiences with it. i dont have enough for a dslr and it is supposed to be one of the best "point and shoots"

ivankay
02-23-2011, 07:55 PM
i love mine. i've had or used the G7, G9 and G10. The 12 is a nice progression. The complaint i have now is having to convert RAW shots in order to do editing in iphoto. Not that big a deal though. Some people don't appreciate the bulkiness, so go play with it in a store before you commit. i don't put in in my pocket. i just have a camera bag i wear when i take it out. i look like a geek, but if you know me, that's unfortunately how i look.

zippytc
02-23-2011, 10:08 PM
i love mine. i've had or used the G7, G9 and G10. The 12 is a nice progression. The complaint i have now is having to convert RAW shots in order to do editing in iphoto. Not that big a deal though. Some people don't appreciate the bulkiness, so go play with it in a store before you commit. i don't put in in my pocket. i just have a camera bag i wear when i take it out. i look like a geek, but if you know me, that's unfortunately how i look.

yea i kind of think its funny its a " point and shoot " but its to big and bulky to put in a pocket but im used to that, my dad has a d300 that i like to use but he really doesnt let me take it anywhere so im just looking for something good that is somewhat cheap and still has nice quality in the pictures, and it haveing RAW is part of the reason i want it, that is usually not available in point and shoots.

so im guessing that since youve had a g 7 9 and 10 you have used it in basically every setting ? so it should work at concerts, you know the whole low light and all that, i know it will basically be up to me to get the setting right for the right shot but are the g series capable if in the right hands ?

ivankay
02-23-2011, 10:46 PM
i've been pretty happy with low light shooting situations. i'll try to get up a couple of Little Dragon pictures up. That's the darkest show i took shots of. i'll rely on the manual shutter mode more than any in dark show situations. i rarely use the automatic settings other than curiosity. i think a person who likes to take pictures to the point where they push their cameras to get it nice will enjoy the speed you can adjust to new settings once you get to know the device. i feel very comfortable handling it.

i don't have too many shots posted yet from the 12. Here's one from the Wall:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5081/5243258654_d48971351e_z.jpg

zippytc
02-26-2011, 03:22 AM
thats a good picture, at first i didnt know exactly what i was looking at until i noticed the crowd. and i think i will end up getting one, it seems like it would be a great learning camera before i shell out for a nice slr