PDA

View Full Version : GIRL TALK!!!!! FULL SET VIDEO in SF! fuckin insane

matik1000
03-08-2007, 10:22 AM
this was from san francisco in november at the be the riottt! festival.

wow.

just go to www.betheriottt.com and register really quick (kinda sucks but its not that painful).

then you can watch all these full sets which are pretty cool. click girl talk in the stage box.

girl talk KILLED IT though. hes a nut onstage.

Foppie
03-08-2007, 10:32 AM
No need to give them your real email address BTW

dorkfish
03-08-2007, 10:38 AM
once, i get the video captured and youtube it, no need to leave this thread

SometimesNJ
03-08-2007, 10:41 AM
once, i get the video captured and youtube it, no need to leave this thread

cool, thanks

matik1000
03-08-2007, 10:42 AM
whats the video length or filesize limitations for youtube?

cool thing about being on this page though is you select the song you wanna watch.

would be cool for someone to capture eits to.

DeltaSigChi4
03-08-2007, 10:48 AM
EITS is on there/////>>???

*leaves to register

E

Bahamut727
03-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Im getting a prompt for a referral users email..... and it won't let me go without one (or if i enter a fake one)

Foucault
03-08-2007, 12:19 PM
I think Girl Talk fell off the stage at least twice. Think I'll cross him off my 'must see' Coachella list.

bmack86
03-08-2007, 12:48 PM
I'll definitely be at Girl Talk

matik1000
03-08-2007, 09:24 PM
duh

deadguy
03-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey so um yeah has anyone registered successfully here? What referral email did you use? :|

deadguy
03-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Ah nevermind, I just clicked the 'Register' link again and left the word RIOTTT instead of email address and then it went through.

becomingcloser
03-08-2007, 09:45 PM
forget my girlfriend... who's dancing with me at girl talk?

DeltaSigChi4
03-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Girl Talk was booed in Vegas.

E

DanMonk
03-08-2007, 10:31 PM
definetly gonna be there... hopefully i didn't just ruin the good surprise.

Foppie
03-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Where did you hear this Vegas review?

Evaneezer
03-08-2007, 11:45 PM
i saw him at the Be The Riottt festival and he only played for like 10 minutes, then they kicked him off because previous bands played longer than they should have.

DeltaSigChi4
03-08-2007, 11:51 PM
I attended the show. Fusion, day 2.

He was booed. I was there. I didn't boo, just was wondering why everyone was booing. Then I realized it. It was because he sucked major balls.

E

Boourns
03-09-2007, 12:08 AM
I'll have to check it out. But this site really should put up the Asobi Seksu and Metric videos.

hangthedj112
03-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Girl Talk was booed in Vegas.

E

Really, I never heard that. Especially not from you on this board.

crazzz2007
03-09-2007, 02:00 AM
i can't believe i'm agreeing with delta, but girltalk kinda sucks

bmack86
03-09-2007, 02:08 AM
Girl Talk should be awesome live. It looks like a blast.

matik1000
03-09-2007, 08:06 AM
i dont get how you can say girl talk sucks. whats makes him suck?

his album is pretty much the perfect dance cd and some of the mixes were mind boggling. and live - welll, he detonates the party

DeltaSigChi4
03-09-2007, 08:07 AM
I just report what I observed.

E

matik1000
03-11-2007, 07:45 PM
pshhhhhh

yolowo
03-13-2007, 07:13 PM
again, this is silly even trying to reason with DeltaSigChi4. the dude already admitted in a different thread that he DIDN'T EVEN SEE THE GIRL TALK PERFORMANCE in vegas. he saw girl tlak simply cueing up songs and leaving the DJ booth in between bands. he didnt even play any of his own remixes there. he was asking to just play music between bands, not do a full blown performance.

he did perform early and turned the whole place out

about the Vegas show in quesetion, from LAS Magazine...

http://www.lostatsea.net/feature.pht...845dc4884bb635

"Girl Talk got the shit fired up."

"... he nonetheless succeeded in rocking the slowly filling theater harder than many of the big-name acts to come."

i saw a bunch of other reviews that said basically the same thing, nothing about boo'ing.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-13-2007, 08:13 PM
you fucking nerds, he played for 10 minutes before getting kicked off stage by the event organizers. if you really want to dance so fucking badly then maybe you should go see one of the 8 or so a-list dance acts playing on saturday rather than telling your overweight girlfriend that you'll "be right back" because you absolutely must make it onstage during girl talk's set because he's the hottest thing right now and *all* the blogs are just in love with him and you get on stage and you're dancing but you don't really know how to dance because you listen to modest mouse and neutral milk hotel mostly but there's just something about girl talk's effortless pairing of hip-hop (more like crap normally but when he plays it I like it. no other times though) and cheesy jams that just makes you want to shake your butt. oh my gosh, is he playing journey and the clipse at the same time? i don't really know who the clipse are but i think they are rappers or whatever. oh shit he's taking off his shirt! this is the best concert of my life! i can die happy now! fuck you mstrkfrt, fuck you !!!, fuck you justice, fuck you the rapture, fuck you lcd soundsystem, fuck you mike relm, and fuck you tiesto... this is the best dance show of the day, weekend, fuck, probably even life. i'm going to kill myself because a nerdy white guy playing two songs simultaneously off a dell laptop going through the headphone port is just BlOwIng Mah FuCkInG MiNd WiDe OpEn

Trick Loves The Kids
03-13-2007, 08:22 PM
okay.

before now i had only heard night ripper, which is a piece of shit. i heard that his live shows were "insane" and "the most fun you'll ever have" and all sorts of hyperbole'd things like that, but i'd never seen one. i almost saw him at the riottt just to see what he was about and decided to get a good spot for clipse instead. i just watched his set on riottt.com

jesus fucking christ. why do you people like this shit? i really had no idea but i can say with little exaggeration that video was literally one of the stupidest fucking things i've ever seen. as a DJ he's absolutely horrible, his phrasing fucking sucks and he subscribes to the "just put anything together!" school of thought.

and as a performer he's a fucking joke. yeah i really want to miss out on actual bands or djs because a nerdy dude in a sweatsuit pretending to have a seizure and stagediving to a shitty mashup is revolutionzing music. fuck girl talk.

xbnmx
03-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Don't forget Evil Nine.

bballarl
03-13-2007, 08:50 PM
I think he is fun.

kreutz2112
03-13-2007, 09:27 PM
I hate that shit that flashes on the screen in between each "song"

Edit: I cant wait.

jayce
03-14-2007, 04:59 AM
I don't know why some of you guys get your panties in a knot over this guy. It's just music. If he makes people dance and have fun, why the fuck do you care? I don't get it.

jayce
03-14-2007, 05:00 AM
Because in the end, that's what music is about. Dancing and having fun. People who are elitist and pretentious about music really baffle me. Seriously, wtf?

DeltaSigChi4
03-14-2007, 05:06 AM
he did perform early and turned the whole place out

about the Vegas show in quesetion, from LAS Magazine...

http://www.lostatsea.net/feature.pht...845dc4884bb635

"Girl Talk got the shit fired up."

"... he nonetheless succeeded in rocking the slowly filling theater harder than many of the big-name acts to come."

i saw a bunch of other reviews that said basically the same thing, nothing about boo'ing.

What the fuck is "turning the place out"??? When I got there before Spank Rock, the place was fucking void of lifeform. I guess the "place" must've been the rest of the musically-dense individuals who swear up and down that Girltalk is the greatest thing to happen to music since the gramophone. Give me a fucking break. He rocked the theater harder than Lupe Fiasco or Kanye? Yeah fucking right. Who wrote that shit? Girltalk's mom? Go fuck yourself.

E

DeltaSigChi4
03-14-2007, 05:07 AM
you fucking nerds, he played for 10 minutes before getting kicked off stage by the event organizers. if you really want to dance so fucking badly then maybe you should go see one of the 8 or so a-list dance acts playing on saturday rather than telling your overweight girlfriend that you'll "be right back" because you absolutely must make it onstage during girl talk's set because he's the hottest thing right now and *all* the blogs are just in love with him and you get on stage and you're dancing but you don't really know how to dance because you listen to modest mouse and neutral milk hotel mostly but there's just something about girl talk's effortless pairing of hip-hop (more like crap normally but when he plays it I like it. no other times though) and cheesy jams that just makes you want to shake your butt. oh my gosh, is he playing journey and the clipse at the same time? i don't really know who the clipse are but i think they are rappers or whatever. oh shit he's taking off his shirt! this is the best concert of my life! i can die happy now! fuck you mstrkfrt, fuck you !!!, fuck you justice, fuck you the rapture, fuck you lcd soundsystem, fuck you mike relm, and fuck you tiesto... this is the best dance show of the day, weekend, fuck, probably even life. i'm going to kill myself because a nerdy white guy playing two songs simultaneously off a dell laptop going through the headphone port is just BlOwIng Mah FuCkInG MiNd WiDe OpEn

+1

E

jayce
03-14-2007, 05:11 AM
I want to have Trick_Loves_The_Kids children. I just quoted him in a thread about girltalk that I started on a diffferent message board. I'll link to it if it takes off.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-14-2007, 06:19 PM
I want to have Trick_Loves_The_Kids children. I just quoted him in a thread about girltalk that I started on a diffferent message board. I'll link to it if it takes off.

link it.

deadguy
03-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Dudes, it's dance music. Yes they're mashups, yes it's been done to death. But these are spastic, 2 to 3 second long, indie-meets-pop mashups. THAT hadn't been done before. Yes his show is all a bunch of nerdy kids that are trying to be ironic while enjoying themselves at the same time. For me that's the beauty of it.

Music is all about ironic detachment now - hell people on this board are all about ironic detachment. Any hint of honesty is met with irony.

This guy lets people take their guard down and just plain enjoy themselves. Isn't that what dance music is all about? For that, he sounds pretty relevant to me.

This doesn't mean I won't go see Spank Rock and Faithless though :)

jackstraw94086
03-14-2007, 06:46 PM
holy christ, it's been a while before I've seen indie kids try to dance.

I want to punch the kid who was screaming about sandwiches.

matsuolost
03-14-2007, 06:49 PM
trick loves the kids get over yourself. girl talk is good fun

Trick Loves The Kids
03-14-2007, 08:38 PM
You know what, you're right. I have seen the light. It's just ironic, light-hearted fun. What are these rappers saying? Who cares? Oh shit! Did he just deftly mix in the OC theme song? God I'm dancing like I haven't since I was old enough to attend Bar Mitzvahs!!!! Wait, I'm gonna move over next to him and get a picture for my blog.

fuck girl talk

jackstraw94086
03-14-2007, 08:52 PM
atta boy!

ajane
03-14-2007, 10:33 PM
who cares if its too indie, if it has too much hip-hop, if hes white, if people at his shows arent good at dancing? maybe youre right and they havent danced since thirteen. but doesnt that make girl talk a good thing? if he can get indie kids to dance, good for him. they need the exercise anyway.

jayce and deadguy and others are right.

yolowo
03-15-2007, 07:34 AM
girltalk doesnt sample anything ironically, he just samples what he likes

it's really funny to me when people are like "girl talk makes mash ups for indie people" or "girl talk mashes rap and indie." have you heard night ripper??? 95% of the songs are top 40 songs from the radio, not indie. he samples LCD soundsystem and neutral milk hotel for a few seconds and a couple other things but damn, the entire albums is just pop music. from all over the musical spectrum. to try to pin girltalk to a specific genre/crowd is ridiculous.

the girl talk haters here seem to a boast true hip hop tastes. well, you should look back a little bit because sampling different forms of music to make new music is what fueled early hiphop and rap. sampling has always been a huge part of rap. sampling ALL TYPES OF MUSIC.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-15-2007, 09:34 AM
i don't really give a shit about what he samples. if i didn't know about his music or his performance i'd probably say "that's interesting" if you told me that all he does is sample all kinds of genres for 5 seconds at a time (which is wrong, he plays shit way longer than the "manic pace" everyone told me about).

in reality though he's not GOOD at it. he can't phrase shit, he usually just throws a vocal sample and a music sample together (CRAZY!), he plays out of his headphone port (unless something has changed in the last two weeks), and that's all not mentioning his crazy onstage antics. like if he was actually good at what he did i wouldn't have a problem but him being shitty at something so easy (seriously I could teach anybody on this board to do what he does with a copy of ableton live in about 3 hours) plus him pretending to have seizures on stage plus (and this isn't his fault, i know) all of his fans who don't really give a shit about rap music in general except when it's playing simultaneously with a journey song.

all of that = fuck girl talk. see ghostface or mstrkrft bitches.

jackstraw94086
03-15-2007, 10:18 AM
i don't really give a shit about what he samples. if i didn't know about his music or his performance i'd probably say "that's interesting" if you told me that all he does is sample all kinds of genres for 5 seconds at a time (which is wrong, he plays shit way longer than the "manic pace" everyone told me about).

in reality though he's not GOOD at it. he can't phrase shit, he usually just throws a vocal sample and a music sample together (CRAZY!), he plays out of his headphone port (unless something has changed in the last two weeks), and that's all not mentioning his crazy onstage antics. like if he was actually good at what he did i wouldn't have a problem but him being shitty at something so easy (seriously I could teach anybody on this board to do what he does with a copy of ableton live in about 3 hours) plus him pretending to have seizures on stage plus (and this isn't his fault, i know) all of his fans who don't really give a shit about rap music in general except when it's playing simultaneously with a journey song.

all of that = fuck girl talk. see ghostface or mstrkrft bitches.

I agree with you for the most part, but it's a little more involved than you suggest. It's not just "thrown" together as if he just dragged two raw clips over, hit play and done. You might be able to teach someone to cut and past an audio clip in ableton in 3 hours, but that doesn't mean they could reproduce his album in 3 hours. Some of that crap he mashes is probably a bit difficult to quantize. Ableton is horrible at guessing at acapellas, you usually have to fix them by hand. it's not impossible, and anyone could probably do it with time and practice, but still requires a some of time. Also, there's fair amount of EQ work that has to be done to make the samples sit right in the mix. And it's a small point, but there's no way I'll believe that he's running his output through his headphone jack, he can't be that amateur, I'd have to assume he's got some sort of proper interface.

That said though, i still basically agree with you that he's a sham. People are so jazzed about this because it's a novelty, but they don't understand that there's not that much to it. 5 years from now people will be embarrassed about how they thought so much of this live performance. There are countless bedroom producers out there who can and have done this kind of stuff. He has done his own production in the past, but he's just gotten more popular with this mashup stuff. ride it while you can I guess. can't fault him for peddling this crap when people are begging for it.

yolowo
03-15-2007, 10:36 AM
everything's been done before. it's not about the innovation as much as it is just in fun music..

i pay attention to a lot of bedroom producers, and i think theres a mad amount of great remixes/mashes/etc out there. i still think night ripper holds its own in the history of plunderphonics

jackstraw94086
03-15-2007, 10:38 AM
That doesn't change the fact that it's irritating to see someone who puts out gimmick based "music" that's not as good as many others out there who receive no recognition because they never got a chance to pander to kids who don't know the difference.

Good for him, but it's still irritating.

yolowo
03-15-2007, 11:05 AM
every band has a style. everyband's gimmick is that they play _____ kind of music, act like _____ when they perform live, etc.

i dont think girl talk would consider his music very gimmicky, since he's been dedicated to doing strictly remix/cutup music for the past 7 years.

so much pop music and electronic music are based on sampling. it's been around forever. john oswald was pulling this stuff in the 70's. rap/hiphop has been doing it since the 80's. it's not very new/quirky anymore. breakcore musicians have been spazzing out behind laptops during live performances for years now AND sampling the hell out of pop music. girl talk is applying a new style to older techniques, just like every band on the coachella line-up. how does he stand out from his contemporaries? well, how do any of the bands on the coachella lineup stand out? they're good at what they do

jackstraw94086
03-15-2007, 11:40 AM
i dont think girl talk would consider his music very gimmicky, since he's been dedicated to doing strictly remix/cutup music for the past 7 years.

please keep a dictionary handy if you want to participate.

hangthedj112
03-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Novelty = entertainment = music

jackstraw94086
03-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Not everything novel is entertaining.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-15-2007, 01:28 PM
can't fault him for peddling this crap when people are begging for it.

yeah I hate to admit but I wish I'd thought of this. dude's getting rich.

and check this shit out:

http://www.girl-talk.net/photos/emptybottle/33.jpg

http://www.girl-talk.net/photos/emptybottle/31.jpg

That's Nov '06. He has a mouse, a power cable, and a 3.5mm audio cable plugged in.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-15-2007, 01:29 PM
and re: "good at what you do" doesn't mean shit. yeah i'm sure flea is a good bassist but i sure as fuck don't care about the music he makes.

DeltaSigChi4
03-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Girltalk fanboys should be executed without trial.

E

DeltaSigChi4
03-15-2007, 02:05 PM
I just watched those videos on that site. Good Lord.

E

jackstraw94086
03-15-2007, 02:06 PM
damn. what the hell has he been spending his money on? amphetamines I guess.

DeltaSigChi4
03-15-2007, 02:09 PM
He can at least splurge a lil on an iBook.

E

Trick Loves The Kids
03-15-2007, 02:17 PM
damn. what the hell has he been spending his money on? amphetamines I guess.

saving it for when nobody will fly him across the country to do shows

aka a year from now

James
03-15-2007, 02:30 PM
lol @ all the bitching and complaining on this page

jayce
03-15-2007, 02:31 PM
I think that Trick_Loves_The_Kids should dance with me at Girl Talk. Oh, and my thread didn't take off. No one in Vancouver really knows who Girl Talk is. I wouldn't have known about him if it wasn't for this message board.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-15-2007, 02:47 PM
I'll probably watch at least a little of his set unless there's anything I really want to see. I do think it'll be shitty even for a Girl Talk show though because it's gonna be in the middle of the day (he's on the bottom row of the flyer) and I don't think coachella lets people up on stage, and dark nightclubs with people all over the stage are what people love about his show, so we'll see.

jackstraw94086
03-15-2007, 02:54 PM
He can at least splurge a lil on an iBook.

E

ibook's are shit for running ableton.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-15-2007, 04:02 PM
ibook's are shit for running ableton.

he doesn't run ableton, he runs some weird program that nobody has ever really been able to name. i don't think it's very high tech though.

jayce
03-15-2007, 04:49 PM
I WONDER HOW TRICK FEELS ABOUT TIESTO

gmoneyak
03-16-2007, 01:32 AM
Uuuuuhhhhh....Damn, Now my brain hurts after reading this thread..

You guys kill me, I love it..

I'll check out Girl Talk for about 2 songs, pick up some chick 'rolling' her ass off, and make my OWN mash-ups..

Cheers!!

matsuolost
03-16-2007, 08:18 AM
yeah trick how do you feel about tiesto?

Ardentbiscuit
03-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Anything has got to be better than what happened at the LA show.

A bunch of people got on stage to dance and security didn't like that so they started pushing people off stage really forcefully. I'm glad I didn't get on stage. And people who wouldn't leave the stage they put in a choke hold and dragged them to the door and threw them out on the street. It was an awful scene.

And somehow only the hot girls didn't get kicked off the stage. Gee, I wonder how that happened?? :)