PDA

View Full Version : campervanners?

adam_hazell
02-14-2011, 07:37 PM
I was told by info @ coachella that my campervan (note: NOT rv) will not be allowed into car camping. It has a double bed fridge and propane stove. They told me that as a general rule of thumb it cant be a "vehicle specifically designed to sleep in" even though my van fits easily into a car camping spot w/ tents on the site too.

thewoodenman
02-14-2011, 07:57 PM
this story was cool, bro.

adam_hazell
02-14-2011, 08:02 PM
thanks?

Inthecolumbiagorge
02-14-2011, 08:53 PM
I was told by info @ coachella that my campervan (note: NOT rv) will not be allowed into car camping. It has a double bed fridge and propane stove. They told me that as a general rule of thumb it cant be a "vehicle specifically designed to sleep in" even though my van fits easily into a car camping spot w/ tents on the site too.

http://coachella.com/images/ALLOWED.jpg

Any of these are OK according to faq page.

adam_hazell
02-25-2011, 06:49 PM
yeah i know but they have a cartoon on the OK and the delorian? i think im just going to rock up and see what they say on the day.. surely it cant be that big a deal.. It will fit on the campsite easily.. with a few tents in front too. just hope i dont get turned away.

mountmccabe
02-26-2011, 10:05 PM
You're going to get turned away.

mountmccabe
02-26-2011, 10:06 PM
And if someone wants to bring a Delorean to car camping more power to them. And they had Gorillaz headline last year; they have to allow cartoons.

PapaDill
02-26-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm going to bring this

http://imcdb.org/i319862.jpg

Neighborhood Creep
02-27-2011, 07:24 AM
I need to find ouit if they are acceptable. We rented one. I emailed Coachella last week and they still haven't got back to me.

I need some PF help

mountmccabe
02-27-2011, 11:09 AM
They are not acceptable. It is understandable that you want them to be acceptable and there is always a possibility that the Coachella check-in and camping staff will not notice and/or not care but that seems unlikely to me and I can't imagine trying to plan on that.

This all seems very clear to me.

From the Car/Tent Camping page:

Must be a normal passenger car, truck or van. no rv's, trailers or uhaul trucks.

A campervan is not "normal."

And from the "Examples of NOT OK" link

http://coachella.com/images/NOT_ALLOWED.jpg

Some of the vehicles pictured could be considered campervans.

Also the Camping FAQ explicitly discusses "full size van or WV [sic] Bus" but there is a difference between a VW Bus and VW Campervan.

Neighborhood Creep
02-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Oops. forgot to mention the campervan is just an old Astrovan that got decked out like a vw. its just regular sized but has a sink and propane stove.

Stickjohn
02-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Seems really strange to me that what is inside a van of normal dimensions would be a problem.

Mugwog
02-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Just drive over the guy when he tries to stop you. You're in a van dammit.

adam_hazell
02-28-2011, 01:40 PM
that pic of the ute with the house on the back is gold. I have a backup plan anyways i think i might just give it a go and see how i go.. the risk is definately worth the reward if i get in. and if i dont i have another option nearby.