PDA

View Full Version : For those w/o camping gear and don't want to buy them, campervan rentals.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-10-2011, 11:05 AM
http://www.escapecampervans.com/

may be worth it for some of you.

Unique hand painted artwork from a top local artist.
Equipped to sleep 3 adults and seat 4.
A Queen size/Full size bed
2 burner Propane Cooker
Sink with running water
Heater (supplied in Winter Months)
120v Power cable to run appliances.
Electric Chiller. 28 QT (25 litre)
All cooking and eating utensils.
3 outdoor picnic chairs (with drink holders)
Foldaway inside table.
All bedding (Duvets/Comforter, Sheets and Pillows)
CD player and iPod (mp3) audio input.
Power steering.
A/C in the drivers cab.
All Campers are a smoke free zone.

Bud Luster
02-10-2011, 11:20 AM
This actually looks pretty awesome. Haven't checked price yet though.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-10-2011, 11:28 AM
This actually looks pretty awesome. Haven't checked price yet though.

it's like $440 or something and you have to take it for a week, so you have it for the whole time of the festival, if you want add some things like they have a solar shower, etc. for additional funds.

This is good for people who were already planning on renting a car/van/etc.

Also a comfortable place to sleep.

Fourthisto
02-10-2011, 11:31 AM
I'd be so tempted to attach a "FREE CANDY INSIDE" magnet once I got to the campgrounds........... and reward brave, curious folk with Bubbletape and Fun Dip. :cool:

This actually looks pretty awesome. Haven't checked price yet though.It's not bad, I looked at 4/13 - 4/20 from LA and got a price like $500. $200 deposit.

Bud Luster
02-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I checked the prices too. Very, very reasonable for an entire week. If you get it out of LA you won't go over the miles either. A great alternative considering there are no RVs allowed this year. The comfortable bed is a huge plus. The camping stove / sink in the back is really nice too.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I checked the prices too. Very, very reasonable for an entire week. If you get it out of LA you won't go over the miles either. A great alternative considering there are no RVs allowed this year. The comfortable bed is a huge plus. The camping stove / sink in the back is really nice too.

Yeah even if you have a group you could fit a tent or 2 in the camp spot, charge whoever uses the bed maybe a bit more than everyone else, then you have a sink, stove, all that jazz and it comes w/ the folding chairs as well.

Vic Viper
02-10-2011, 01:01 PM
this seems like a pretty solid deal. too bad i'm not heading from LA.

Neighborhood Creep
02-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Thank you for posting this. It is the perfect thing my 2 friends and I need for the week. It literally is perfect.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Thank you for posting this. It is the perfect thing my 2 friends and I need for the week. It literally is perfect.

Glad I can help =)

Neighborhood Creep
02-10-2011, 02:20 PM
How does it sleep 3 though? They don't look like they can even fit in a bed let alone 2

Bud Luster
02-10-2011, 02:57 PM
I don't think it can sleep 3. Definitely 2 though.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-10-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't think it can sleep 3. Definitely 2 though.

it could fit me, my gf and another cute/hot girl!

Geno_g
02-10-2011, 03:34 PM
I saw one of these last year in the campgrounds...

jck83
02-10-2011, 03:51 PM
They are definitly sold out! Called at 6:30 today. Would have been awesome!!!

Stickjohn
02-10-2011, 06:54 PM
I want to rent one of these for Coachella and then work my way slowly up the coast to Sasquatch.

gaypalmsprings
02-10-2011, 07:16 PM
it could fit me, my gf and another cute/hot girl!

Your mom is hot. Ask her.

devil9xtc
02-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Not a bad deal. If I get this and then have people who need a camping spot split itll all work out.

devil9xtc
02-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Turns out they are down the street from where I live. Will check it out tomorrow

adam_hazell
02-14-2011, 06:32 PM
hey guys you have to be careful,

I emailed coachella about my campervan (its a 76 dodge b200 if that helps), It has a bed fridge and propane stovetop.
Apparently they wont let it in as its considered an RV, even though its a full size van with a "popped" roof. They said that as a general rule anything that is designed to be slept in will not be allowed in.

I emailed with a photo and so did my friend and we both got the same reply

Neighborhood Creep
02-16-2011, 01:02 PM
I reserved one if someone cancels. I was the only one on that list. Just an hour ago they called and said someone's plans fell through.

If anyone else wanted one, get put on the reserve list in case of cancellations.

koryp
02-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Congrats! What are your thoughts on the post above you. I think its incorrect, but it's the only thing leaving me hesitant.

*edit*
Wait a minute Creep. Did you create an alias to post that, thereby tricking someone into cancelling?

Neighborhood Creep
02-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Congrats! What are your thoughts on the post above you. I think its incorrect, but it's the only thing leaving me hesitant.

*edit*
Wait a minute Creep. Did you create an alias to post that, thereby tricking someone into cancelling?

No, althought that is kind of cleaver. Their website says it it Coachella friendy as far as all the features go. As long as the size fits I don't see why they should give a shit what's in it. My opinion, unfortunately not theirs.

koryp
02-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Cool. I sent them an email asking to be on a waiting list. Hope this works. It is a really good looking set up. Whatever way it goes, update us after Coachella with a review of the van and any hassles given.

Neighborhood Creep
02-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Good luck to ya. I think the fact of tickets selling out so quick screwed peoples rental intentions over.

Will do. I have read nothing but good reviews. I heard they don't rent them to people going to Burning Man though.

adam_hazell
02-18-2011, 05:12 PM
No, not a creep. just telling u what has happened to me.. why would i want somebody to cancel if i already own my own van??

i'd email coachellas info adress and see what they say.. better than showing up and shown the exit.

koryp
02-18-2011, 06:20 PM
No, not a creep. just telling u what has happened to me.. why would i want somebody to cancel if i already own my own van??

i'd email coachellas info adress and see what they say.. better than showing up and shown the exit.

You might want to read the user name of the boardie who posted above you. Look around the board a little more. Maybe even read a thread or two. Turn your sense of humor back on and rethink your response. js

I don't mind you raising suspision though, it may help me out since I'm on the waiting list.

adam_hazell
02-25-2011, 05:39 PM
maybe you should stop assuming that I dont have a sense of humour or hadnt read alot of other threads. I was just trying to help some people out.

Neighborhood Creep
03-12-2011, 12:18 PM
I have emailed Coachella about these vans to see if they are allowed and still haven't heard anything. I'm 3 days away from posting the question and website link on Paul T's FB wall to ask him personally lol.

These vans are normal size but I'm slightly paranoid to spend 580+ gas for the week to rent it if they aren't allowed due to having a sink, stove and bed inside it.

HELP

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-12-2011, 12:19 PM
I have emailed Coachella about these vans to see if they are allowed and still haven't heard anything. I'm 3 days away from posting the question and website link on Paul T's FB wall to ask him personally lol.

These vans are normal size but I'm slightly paranoid to spend 580+ gas for the week to rent it if they aren't allowed due to having a sink, stove and bed inside it.

HELP

Other people have contacted them and supposedly anything you can sleep in isn't allowed. But I'd bring an extra tent and be like but we're not sleeping in here! or something....

Neighborhood Creep
03-12-2011, 12:22 PM
I am getting a tent from someone so I guess ill try that. I hope they're not like "well, there's a bed in there so you're SOL!"

Stickjohn
03-12-2011, 01:22 PM
I'll help.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/351/321/38375160010_medium.jpg

koryp
03-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Keep the bed in the chair configuration and cover the sink with blankets and luggage. I really can't see how they'd approve a westy and not allow a modern american copy, but that's just like my opinion. Maybe we can get Dani to chime in here?

Neighborhood Creep
03-12-2011, 09:09 PM
At least we will have a back up plan

http://www.degeneratepress.com/travel/chattanooga_2003/eclipse_house.jpg

trixiemt75
03-13-2011, 08:22 AM
From the Faq page:

Do I need to sleep in a tent?
No. If you are car camping, you can sleep in your car, on your car, next to your car or other creative sleeping places as long as it's not against the rules and is within your allotted camping spot. You can not sleep in your car in any parking lots including the companion camping parking lots. If you are tent camping you can sleep on the ground in your spot without a tent if you really want to. There is no day parking or camping for RVs.

Since they aren't RVs, it will be just fine. Plus, in my experience, if someone does give you crap about the rules, quote them the facts sheet directly and they will let you pass on through. I'll be in the van covered in tree frogs from the rental place, so stop by and say hi!

tarrivi
03-13-2011, 08:41 AM
These look awesome, I want one!

mountmccabe
03-13-2011, 09:57 AM
From the Faq page:

Do I need to sleep in a tent?
No. If you are car camping, you can sleep in your car, on your car, next to your car or other creative sleeping places as long as it's not against the rules and is within your allotted camping spot. You can not sleep in your car in any parking lots including the companion camping parking lots. If you are tent camping you can sleep on the ground in your spot without a tent if you really want to. There is no day parking or camping for RVs.

Since they aren't RVs, it will be just fine. Plus, in my experience, if someone does give you crap about the rules, quote them the facts sheet directly and they will let you pass on through. I'll be in the van covered in tree frogs from the rental place, so stop by and say hi!

Recreational Vehicle (RV) (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rv)

a van or utility vehicle used for recreational purposes, as camping, and often equipped with living facilities.

Your campervans fit this description.

Also, since "campervan" is not in common usage in the US (which is likely why the FAQ does not mention them specifically) :

Campervan (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Campervan)

A campervan (or camper van), sometimes referred to simply as a camper, or a caravanette, is a self-propelled vehicle that provides both transport and sleeping accommodation. The term mainly describes vans that have been fitted out, often with a coachbuilt body for use as accommodation. In the United States the term "recreational vehicle" (RV) is more common for these vehicles, and in that country they tend to be larger than in Europe and the rest of the world.

I know y'all really want this to be OK and I hope y'all can find a way to make your trip work well for you but trying to park an RV in the onsite campgrounds where they say no RV parking is (a) unlikely to work and (b) going to slow everything down, agitate staff and fuck up the line for other folks trying to check in.

thewoodenman
03-13-2011, 10:03 AM
that's right yall

koryp
03-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Yet they specifically show a VW type 2 and that RV2 contraption in the OK pictures. Surely you can see the confusion that has caused us. Add that to the FACTS of them being allowed in the car camping section in 2010, and the claim of the renting agency of them being coachella approved, we find ourselves drowning in ambiguity.

Neighborhood Creep
03-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Yet they specifically show a VW type 2 and that RV2 contraption in the OK pictures. Surely you can see the confusion that has caused us. Add that to the FACTS of them being allowed in the car camping section in 2010, and the claim of the renting agency of them being coachella approved, we find ourselves drowning in ambiguity.

Good luck bud. I think we will be fine. Not sure what van we have yet. They already told you? Ill have to call tomorrow and see what they're giving us.

Also, the option of them picking us up and dropping us off at LAX for a few extra bucks is pretty awesome.

koryp
03-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Still on the waiting list, but hopeful. I'll check in with them for status next week. The LAX pickup is also a real plus.

Stickjohn
03-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Your van's going to get raped!

http://auto-fail.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/suspicious-van-removal.jpg

Hannahrain
03-14-2011, 12:59 AM
That's not how you do a rape. You may be onto something here, though. Miseducation of burgeoning rapists may be the next big industrial efficiency powerhouse. Here, apply these brass fittings according to the diagram. It's a rape. You like those.

Hannahrain
03-14-2011, 01:04 AM
And nobody suffers when they awake in a rohypnol stupor to find themselves dressed and pristine but standing on a freshly linoleum-ed kitchen floor they don't remember signing the work order for.

Hannahrain
03-14-2011, 01:05 AM
I just solved rape. They're going to name so many things after me.

trixiemt75
03-14-2011, 08:02 AM

Yep, I'm going to go ahead and believe that since both a Westy and a full size van are on the approved page, that these are in fact approved over some wikipedia thing saying they are RV's.