PDA

View Full Version : Rock On by David Essex

codytwo
03-07-2007, 09:55 PM
A good song, or the best song ever? Discuss.

If you don't recognize the name, you know it by the lines

"Still lookin' for that blue jean, baby queen, prettiest girl I ever seen."
and
"Hey, shout, summertime blues, jump up (up) and down (down) in your blue suede shoes."
and
"Jimmy dean.......(JAMES Dean)"

You may also know it from its strange instrumentation, consisting of little other than bongoes, bass, and a string quartet.

Ill_Eagle
03-07-2007, 10:02 PM
very good song, one of my favorites but i wouldnt call it the best song ever.

Mr.Nipples
03-08-2007, 12:36 AM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/jimmydean.jpg

TomAz
03-08-2007, 05:55 AM
Something tells me not to post this but here goes anyway. Lots of fodder here, I'm sure you animals will be all over it like hyenas on a rotting carcass.

I remember when this was a hit. Surprised no one's covered it like they did "Drfit Away" which was about the same time. Those were great AM radio songs.

Here's a quaint gooey sentimental memory straight out of Cliche'town but it happens to be true. 1973, I was 11 years old, and I would stay up late listening to Casey Kasem's American Top 40 (with the AM radio under the covers - I swear I am not making this up) to hear what the new #1 would be. The show went til 10 pm on Sunday nights which was a school night.

I bet you people didn't even know that AM radio used to play music. Not dusty country music on some faint trucker station, but current pop hits on the most popular stations of the day. Yessirree. AM radio. 1973: not just "Rock On" but also "Tie A Yellow Ribbon". "Let's Get It On". "You're So Vain". "Crocodile Rock". "Killing Me Softly". "Bad Bad Leroy Brown".

caco0283
03-08-2007, 06:22 AM
+10 more points awarded to tom you are 20 now