PDA

View Full Version : Thank Goldenvoice for Jarvis Cocker!

Boourns
01-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Seriously, this is the greatest news I've heard in years. I never thought I'd ever see him live in any incarnation, and now I will! Now that's a super special once-in-a-lifetime opportunity of the Daft Punk variety!

I don't remember seeing a thread for him, and just had to start one.

idrive1life
01-22-2007, 05:56 PM
I agree. Thanks GV!

microcuts
01-22-2007, 05:57 PM
yes Jarvis is one of the biggest surprises on the lineup. I don't even think he has a record deal here so that's really impressive they were able to get him.

KungFuJoe
01-22-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm very excited about this one too, but somewhow it wasn't that big of a suprise to me. I expected it and was not disappointed (not something I can say about other artists I expected)

However, this is awesome!! Maybe we'll get Pulp in the near future at this rate. Now that would be super swell.

cashew
01-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Jarvis Cocker could only be topped by Pulp. Or Blur. I want Blur back!!!!!!

idrive1life
01-22-2007, 09:24 PM
BLUR!!!

KungFuJoe
01-22-2007, 09:30 PM
This is a Jarvis Cocker thread. Pulp can be mentioned, but lets leave Blur out of it.

cashew
01-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Like threads never go off-topic.

Jarvis Cocker --> Pulp --> BRITPOP --> BLUR!!!

At least there's a connection. Which is a lot more than most threads can say.

Boourns
01-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Anyone who misses Jarvis Cocker at Coachella is a life failure. There, I said it.

Gotta love how he's listed before artists like Sonic Youth, Rufus Wainwright, DJ Shadow, Nickel Creek, etc.

drowningmatt
01-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Anyone who misses Jarvis Cocker at Coachella is a life failure. There, I said it.

You read my mind! Best news in years.

likeaclown
01-22-2007, 10:44 PM
I joined just so I could post to this thread, but I'm ccoming back, because this year's lineup has me so excited I just had to change my underwear. (Well, almost.)

I had heard a rumor that Pulp would re-form for this year's Coachella, but Jarvis solo is more than acceptable. Especially since, didn't Richard Hawley and Candida Doyle play at some London gig with him not long ago? (checks Internet) Oh yeah, Steve Mackey was there too. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Boourns
01-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't be that surprised if be busted out "Common People" and "This Is Hardcore", it being a festival and special occasion and all.

innomoodtowebboard
01-22-2007, 11:55 PM
This is a great thread.

I never expected to see him in my lifetime either because life is rarely so good, let alone so euphoric for this California kid.

And I agree that the only thing that could top JC is Pulp.

On April 27th, there will be tears...

shakermaker113
01-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Now that's a super special once-in-a-lifetime opportunity of the Daft Punk variety!

hm. not sure I agree here. I am indeed looking forward to seeing jarvis, but I think it would take a pulp reunion to be compared to the daft punk opportunity.

nothingman00
01-23-2007, 01:35 AM
Jarvis Cocker is on my "Will Not Miss under any circumstance" list (unless, he unfortunately conflicts with Rufus or Jusus & Mary Chain, in which case, I'd have a dilemma). That twould suck balls.

bmack86
01-23-2007, 01:49 AM
I'll be there unless he's up against Bjork or the JAMC

jaykayem
01-23-2007, 03:43 AM
Jarvis should be everyone's top priority - besides half of Pulp will be playing anyway. JAMC clash would suck but the man's a legend! I'm English & can't wait to see how he goes down with you guys in the US!

cygnenoir
01-24-2007, 10:06 PM
I agree - this is very exciting!

And the new record is so great - for those of you who have not heard it, I read today that it will be released in the states in April.

Honestly, I barely care who else is playing Coachella anymore- it's all a bonus after JC!

whynotsmile99
01-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Never listened to Pulp or Jarvis, but with all this talk i'm interested. wheres a good place to start?

Courtney
01-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Anyone who misses Jarvis Cocker at Coachella is a life failure.

Amen.

summerkid
01-24-2007, 10:57 PM
I really want to see Jarvis Cocker, he was on my wishlist, but sadly if he's not on the mainstage before JMAC i am probably going to miss him because I need to be front row center for JMAC and since I practically like every band on Friday I'll be hanging around the mainstage all day. So I have my fingers crossed he plays before JMAC I think its a 50-50 shot. I think it's either him or Sonic Youth and I'll take Sonic Youth as a consolation prize.

cygnenoir
01-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Hang on, by JMAC, do you mean JAMC?

Otherwise, I'm not sure I'm tracking this!

summerkid
01-24-2007, 11:14 PM
haha yeah maybe I'm dyslexic. :laughyou

damianmartinez
01-25-2007, 12:17 AM
ive waited years and years to see this man, it isnt pulp but it doesnt matter, i ve listening to his music for more than 10 years now, and been hoping to see him play around cali and specially coachella forever,one of the few great acts i was never or havent been able to check live so this has got to be the best news in this lineup..:)

cygnenoir
01-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Never listened to Pulp or Jarvis, but with all this talk i'm interested. wheres a good place to start?

Ahhh, just realised that no one has answered this very important question! :pulse

Well, for Pulp, there is a greatest hits album called, Hits. The album that was their most successful was 1995's Different Class. My personal favorite is This is Hardcore (1998) which I think is one of the most brilliant records ever.

But as indicated in another Jarvis thread, he hasn't been playing any Pulp stuff in his recent solo gigs - so get yourself his one and only solo record called Jarvis. It should be out in the states soon but I'm sure you can find it somewhere now. And make sure you brush up on the chorus to "Running the World" so you can sing along! :rotfl

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Still..no Pulp...

pinguinotonto
01-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Anybody think he's gonna Stick around till Sunday and Sing with AIR? cuz he is on their new CD.

shakermaker113
01-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Anybody think he's gonna Stick around till Sunday and Sing with AIR? cuz he is on their new CD.

nope. not likely. look at his tour dates:

April
23 New York, NY - Webster Hall
27 Indio, CA - Empire Polo Field (Coachella)
28 San Francisco, CA - Fillmore
30 Seattle, WA - Showbox

May
01 Vancouver, BC - Commodore

(source: filter-mag (http://www.filter-mag.com/index.php?id=13731&c=1))

I guess technically there is a gap there on the 29th... if he was really enthusiastic he could head back from san francisco to indio sunday morning, then up to seattle monday morning... but I sincerely doubt that will happen.

unfortunate though. it would have been cool.

vinylmartyr
01-31-2007, 05:31 PM
Anyone who misses Jarvis Cocker at Coachella is a life failure.

duuuurururuurrururr

celisnet
02-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Is Jarvis playing some pulp songs?

malomakaio-
02-01-2007, 12:20 AM
the new album is really good

innomoodtowebboard
02-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Different Class is my favorite Pulp album, but His 'n Hers has recently been creeping up behind.

This is Hardcore is very dark -- unflinching, I'd say -- and may not be for everyone. Brilliant, nonetheless.

Separations is just about as dark, if not darker, and is also a great album.

There are so many places to start, I'd say start at the beginning and work your way through.

But don't forget the solo album. I totally believe that there will be a festival-wide sing-a-long "Cunts Are Still Running the World" to close JC's set.

Courtney
02-01-2007, 01:17 AM
http://www.snapandclap.org/jarvis.jpg

:pulse :pulse :pulse :pulse :pulse :pulse :pulse :pulse :pulse :pulse :pulse :pulse :pulse :pulse :pulse:pulse :pulse :pulse :pulse :pulse :pulse

kroqken
05-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Did Cocker play any Pulp songs at Coachella? I heard he did not at other stops on his tour.

merznerve
05-10-2007, 10:17 AM
wanted to see him but i had a fucking blast at peeping tom and i'm happy i saw that instead.

summerkid
05-10-2007, 10:20 AM
that was a great set. Thank you GV indeed.

orbit
05-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Did Cocker play any Pulp songs at Coachella? I heard he did not at other stops on his tour.

No, but it was the highlight of the weekend. For me.

THANK YOU GV!

Boourns
05-10-2007, 12:17 PM
wanted to see him but i had a fucking blast at peeping tom and i'm happy i saw that instead.

Kill yourself now. Not only is Peeping Tom fucking terrible, but Mike Patton tours his crappy side projects at least 10 times a year, while Jarvis hasn't played California in 11 years, and this was most likely the last/only chance you ever had.

kroqken
05-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Oh shit, I should have seen him but I remember having a conflict at that time.

Trick Loves The Kids
05-10-2007, 08:31 PM
get off the stage old man

miscorrections
05-10-2007, 08:36 PM
his banter was hilarious. i was exceedingly happy i caught most of his set.

Somewhat Damaged
05-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Yeah, Jarvis Cocker was a highlight amongst the highlight-laden Friday. I bought his album at the end of the evening. His stage presence was bested by none all weekend.

KungFuJoe
05-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Yeah, Jarvis Cocker was a highlight amongst the highlight-laden Friday. I bought his album at the end of the evening. His stage presence was bested by none all weekend.

Agreed. He was a true showman up there. I enjoyed his banter very much & am glad I got to see him perform Tonite before running over to Faithless.

Thank you GV!! Please force him to get PULP together next year!!

C0linS
05-11-2007, 12:09 AM
I was really desperate to hear some pulp but in the end I didnt care that he didnt play any, the solo stuff and his chat was good enough by a long way.
The whole set just had a good atmosphere and vibe to it. Defo a highlight of mine.

Benny
05-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Jarvis was definitely worth suffering through the untalented Peaches for. Best performance of the weekend along with Bjork. Friday really was a magnificent night!

rage patton
05-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Kill yourself now. Not only is Peeping Tom fucking terrible, but Mike Patton tours his crappy side projects at least 10 times a year, while Jarvis hasn't played California in 11 years, and this was most likely the last/only chance you ever had.

Dude, just because you are obsessed with Jarvis Cocker, doesnt meant other people aren't allowed to check out other bands at that time.
Personaly, I went to Peeping Tom because I am a HUGE Mike Patton fan. However, I will say, the Peeping Tom CD is not Mike Pattons best work at all, but its not 'fucking terrible' as you claim it to be. I went to that show, purely, for Mike Patton. My girlfriend came too, because she knows how much I love Mike Patton. She herself actually didnt really like Peeping Tom and isnt that big of a fan of Mike Pattons other work. She was blown away by the show, as was I actually. The live show was 7395632596 times better than the album. I find I actually enjoy the album a lot more now after the show.
This is the first oportunity I have ever had to see Mike Patton. He doesnt usualy bring his shows to Vancouver. (Ironicaly enough, Peeping Tom played a show in Vancouver the day after I left for Coachella) So Peeping Tom was to me, as big as Jarvis Cocker is to you. I checked out Jarvis Cocker, mainly because of your posts praising him. His music wasn't bad, it just wasnt anything special for me. So there was no way I was gonna miss Mike Patton for Jarvis Cocker.
I am glad you had this oportunity to see this guy you love so much. I am glad he was at Coachella as well, so other people were overjoyed as well. However, dont get so hostile because someone skipped the act you were most excited to see.