PDA

View Full Version : any crazy traffic stories?

candi
02-07-2011, 10:50 PM
i never thought traffic would be interesting. but last year, shit got interesting.

i live an hour away from coachella and traffic was so bad we ended up sitting in the car for nine hours. it was insane.

but as we were pulling into the venue (on that two lane road, where it dwindled down into one lane) a white van tried to cut us off as we were going .004 mph. we had had enough and we weren't going to let some asshole who wanted to cut corners in so we tried to squeeze him off. then the window rolled down. some guy with curly hair poked his head out of the window and politely asked if they could squeeze in because they had to be on stage in 30 minutes.

of course we let them through. the front passenger of my car was curious, so he poked his head out of the window and asked "what band are you in?"

"little dragon!"

oh. well then. thank you for asking, we will let you in, curly haired man. have a great show.

Bomboclat
02-07-2011, 10:52 PM
I think i'll use that line next time, thanks!

candi
02-07-2011, 10:55 PM
right?

i think i'll be p.j. harvey this year and see what happens.

Fourthisto
02-07-2011, 10:57 PM
i live an hour away from coachella and traffic was so bad we ended up sitting in the car for nine hours. it was insane.Do what?!?! Did you accidentally drive to LA and back? :eek: :confused:

Bomboclat
02-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Would be kinda awkward if you cut off P.J. Harvey, imo.

Bomboclat
02-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Do what?!?! Did you accidentally drive to LA and back? :eek: :confused:

Word, I was just thinking the same thing.
I live in LA and got down to Indio and into the festival within 2.5-3 hours on Friday, and then no more than 45 minutes of waiting on Sat and Sunday coming from Indian Wells. Granted, I busted 100+mph on the freeway Friday morning to get down there, but still....

OP's drivin' medicated if you ask me.

stepup2stepout
02-07-2011, 11:07 PM
I think I might be Kanye West.

"What band are you wi-"
"Imma let you finish...but I gotta be on stage before midnight"

candi
02-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Do what?!?! Did you accidentally drive to LA and back? :eek: :confused:

nah, it's just the 10 freeway from where i'm standing. the traffic started getting bad about 40 miles from the venue, although we left around one pm (terrible, i know.)

wstsidela
02-07-2011, 11:11 PM
nah, it's just the 10 freeway from where i'm standing. the traffic started getting bad about 40 miles from the venue, although we left around one pm (terrible, i know.)

You can't complain about traffic if you leave home at 1pm.

Fourthisto
02-07-2011, 11:19 PM

"What band are you wi-"
"Imma let you finish...but I gotta be on stage before midnight":D

nah, it's just the 10 freeway from where i'm standing. the traffic started getting bad about 40 miles from the venue, although we left around one pm (terrible, i know.)Wow, that's way worse than I've ever run into. Then again, I avoid the highway like a plague. Maybe try going south past 10 on Gene Autry til you hit 111 east? I've done that many a year and it didn't take us more than 90 minutes from that area.

mikecc
02-07-2011, 11:22 PM
me and my buddies were shotgunning beers in the traffic. then after we were all done sappin on a beer in the car (driver sober) i go to get the beer out of the trunk and stupidly dont look behind me when i open the door....well right when i opened it i heard a screech and looked to my left and a motorcycle cop was right there yelling "WTF ARE U DOING???" and I just go "SORRY" and hop back in the car and he rides off. close one and glad i didnt accidentally injure anyone

ramblinon
02-08-2011, 05:25 AM
me and my buddies were shotgunning beers in the traffic. then after we were all done sappin on a beer in the car (driver sober) i go to get the beer out of the trunk and stupidly dont look behind me when i open the door....well right when i opened it i heard a screech and looked to my left and a motorcycle cop was right there yelling "WTF ARE U DOING???" and I just go "SORRY" and hop back in the car and he rides off. close one and glad i didnt accidentally injure anyone

I take it you're looking forward to Kings of Leon?

gaypalmsprings
02-08-2011, 05:55 AM
on that two lane road, where it dwindled down into one lane

http://www.redstaplerchronicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/crazy%20traffic.jpg

Fourthisto
02-08-2011, 06:56 AM
http://www.redstaplerchronicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/crazy%20traffic.jpgUggghhh... that reminds me of the CF that was trying to get to the Radiohead show in '03 at the Blossom in Cuyahoga Falls. Looked exactly like this.

DFrank
02-08-2011, 10:23 AM

"What band are you wi-"
"Imma let you finish...but I gotta be on stage before midnight"

HAHA!

baily
02-08-2011, 10:30 AM
The traffic is a nightmare on Thursday night. You can wait 4-5 hours to get to your camping area.

If you can get out of work early...do so. The later you are the longer the wait.

Have a cooler ready, food ready, gas up as you enter town and be ready to wait.

heyeric
02-08-2011, 10:40 AM
No rape post here baily? I mean, theirs a chance of it happening while your waiting in traffic.

AndLeoObre
02-08-2011, 10:41 AM
No rape post here baily? I mean, theirs a chance of it happening while your waiting in traffic.

Hahahahaha i was thinking the same thing

baily
02-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Here you go

http://imnotgoingtorapeyou.com/raped.jpg

AndLeoObre
02-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Here you go

http://imnotgoingtorapeyou.com/raped.jpg

:D!

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-08-2011, 12:02 PM
So check this out, me being me... I map a route around all the traffic and try to come around from the south side of the fields and hit one of the back lots, my genius was rewarded greatly, because I got in the middle of a funeral train, there is a funeral house not far from the fields on the south side, kept going on 52nd and BAM made in the shade.

M Sparks
02-08-2011, 12:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funeral_train

PlayaDelWes
02-08-2011, 12:08 PM
nice catch

chairmenmeow47
02-08-2011, 12:56 PM
a white van tried to cut us off as we were going .004 mph. we had had enough and we weren't going to let some asshole who wanted to cut corners in so we tried to squeeze him off.

i had a similar experience last year leaving on friday. i was stuck in the same goddamned lot for two hours without moving AT ALL. when we did move, it was like less than a car's length. all because ONE car needed a tow. so when people started trying to cut me in line, i was not having it. normally i'm all about taking turns, but after sitting there for hours, i wasn't about to let someone cut me when we're only moving half a car length at a time.

digitaldragon03
02-08-2011, 01:08 PM
We cut the line every year by driving in the median, pulling up a few cars short of the intersection, then sliding open the van door and giving out as many open beers as there are in the car we are cutting in front of. It has worked the 6 times we have tried it. The reactions are priceless, "WTF, you are NOT going to cut in front of us... Oh, beer! Okay then, go ahead."

Rachelll0ve
02-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Ahh I miss my New York plates. Driving for the first couple of months in California was awesome. People would get pissed at my dick bag maneuvers, see the plates, forget that NY is a STATE and not just a CITY where nobody drives cars, become terrified and let me do my thing.

This came in handy in the Coachella lines when people were at a standstill like fucking cattle. Swooping around the lines--yes, i was one of THOSE, but cutting of 40 cars is exhilarating when you see they were all waiting for... a big gap in the line-- we made it in under 4 hours (I'm used to nine to eleven hour waits at other festivals so I was psyched)... the other car in my group didnt get in for about nine hours.

By the third day we had figured out all the back roads and it only took us a half hour with traffic TO the venue to get in. Thank god we're camping this year, that fuckery/traffic was NOT worth it. Check out a map of the area, keep a copy in the car, and pick a good navigator to sit up front.

BeaverCat
02-08-2011, 01:19 PM
I was stuck in a parking lot for 5 hours trying to leave the festival last year on Friday. Police and security blocked the only exit out of the lot. I didn't get to my hotel room until 6am on Saturday. I think it was Lot 2, but I can't remember. Definitely camping this year.

candi
02-08-2011, 01:23 PM
We cut the line every year by driving in the median, pulling up a few cars short of the intersection, then sliding open the van door and giving out as many open beers as there are in the car we are cutting in front of. It has worked the 6 times we have tried it. The reactions are priceless, "WTF, you are NOT going to cut in front of us... Oh, beer! Okay then, go ahead."

that is the most beautiful display of human awesome i have ever heard.

Harrisment
02-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Ah, memories. You can see the thread I started last year while still sitting in the Friday traffic. http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40766

le cab
02-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Friday was horrible. Stuck in traffic for 4 hours... and on our way out of the fest. the Police officers weren't directing traffic and there was a SEA OF PEOPLE on the road.
Needless to say (if any of you were there) I was the douche honking my way out of the situation...

baily
02-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Anyone driving in and out each night better know...if u stay for the headline act you'll be in the lot for a minimum of 2 hours. Keep a cold cooler with food and drinks as you wont be moving anywhere. Also note it'll be real dusty.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
02-08-2011, 03:16 PM
This came in handy in the Coachella lines when people were at a standstill like fucking cattle. Swooping around the lines--yes, i was one of THOSE, but cutting of 40 cars is exhilarating when you see they were all waiting for... a big gap in the line-- we made it in under 4 hours (I'm used to nine to eleven hour waits at other festivals so I was psyched)... the other car in my group didnt get in for about nine hours.

they reserve a special place in hell for people like you

Ravingmad
02-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Friday was horrible. Stuck in traffic for 4 hours... and on our way out of the fest. the Police officers weren't directing traffic and there was a SEA OF PEOPLE on the road.
Needless to say (if any of you were there) I was the douche honking my way out of the situation...

Yes, that was the disaster night. I think I was sitting in my car, in line to get out of the parking lot, with my engine off and the line not moving an inch for a full two hours.

Radiohead
02-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Anyone driving in and out each night better know...if u stay for the headline act you'll be in the lot for a minimum of 2 hours. Keep a cold cooler with food and drinks as you wont be moving anywhere. Also note it'll be real dusty.

Also, since anyone with a festival pass can go into the camping area, there's nothing to stop you from partying at the Pure Filth stage in camping for an hour or two before you try to leave.

Bomboclat
02-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Not going to lie, I didnt mind sitting in traffic to get out on Saturday night. I turned the car off, and with my friend sat on top talking to the hippies behind us and enjoying the cool air. Gave us some time to sober up before really hitting the road, and we met some cool people.

insbordnat
02-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Ahh I miss my New York plates. Driving for the first couple of months in California was awesome. People would get pissed at my dick bag maneuvers, see the plates, forget that NY is a STATE and not just a CITY where nobody drives cars, become terrified and let me do my thing.

I find it humorous that you think people in LA were "terrified". But if that was your perception so be it. When I lived in LA I carried an aluminum baseball bat for fucktards like you. And I've also seen people pull a tire iron over people cutting in (and this was at a UCLA basketball game of all places). Just be aware that there are people out there that wouldn't stand for your shit.

PapaDill
02-08-2011, 05:49 PM

You may have cut in front of me a couple years back. At first we were all like WTF, then then we saw the beer, and ere happy to let you in.

Ah, what a man will do for free beer.

never-hide
02-08-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't mind the traffic for the car lines, last year we had to wait four hours or so. We all sat ontop of the car roof and drank beer and blasted music and car surfed here and there, sounds lame but i made alot of friends and watched the sunset; it's hard to be pissy when you're at Coachella ( but i must say clever idea digitaldragon )

candi
02-08-2011, 11:04 PM
I don't mind the traffic for the car lines, last year we had to wait four hours or so. We all sat ontop of the car roof and drank beer and blasted music and car surfed here and there, sounds lame but i made alot of friends and watched the sunset; it's hard to be pissy when you're at Coachella ( but i must say clever idea digitaldragon )

this is actually great advice. i guess i will be on top of my car this year (provided i can get a fucking ticket.)

mikecc
02-09-2011, 12:12 AM
I take it you're looking forward to Kings of Leon?

nah. interpol, magnetic man, high contrast, andy c, dj zinc, national, JEW, broken social scene, gogol bordello what i can think of off the top of my head

chairmenmeow47
02-09-2011, 10:07 AM
line cutters, fuck you.

i also like hanging out in the camp grounds for a bit before heading back. nice to see what everyone's coachella was like.

ic7towers
02-09-2011, 10:12 AM
last year, my gf and i left san diego around 3:30-4:00. made decent time getting to indio. exited the freeway at jefferson. from the exit, it took us a little under 4 hours to get parked and walking (we still had about a mile to walk to get into the venue. just barely caught the beginning of deadmau5's set. 4 hours to get through less than 2 miles of road. nice...

Phantasma Del Mar
02-09-2011, 10:42 AM

By the third day we had figured out all the back roads and it only took us a half hour with traffic TO the venue to get in. Thank god we're camping this year, that fuckery/traffic was NOT worth it. Check out a map of the area, keep a copy in the car, and pick a good navigator to sit up front.

You're the same girl who posted your story about some cop cavity searching you without a warning right? Well you deserved it bitch, I hope you enjoy your post-traumatic stress disorder.

ramblinon
02-09-2011, 01:38 PM
You're the same girl who posted your story about some cop cavity searching you without a warning right? Well you deserved it bitch, I hope you enjoy your post-traumatic stress disorder.

She's either trolling, or 110% attention-needy c-u-n-t-bag.

And if you're reading this Rachel, no, that is not a compliment.

ramblinon
02-09-2011, 01:39 PM
line cutters, fuck you.

^^^

candi
02-09-2011, 02:32 PM
line cutters, fuck you.

this.

Bomboclat
02-09-2011, 04:07 PM

You assuming everyone else around you is so ignorant is pretty ignorant in itself.
Its highly possible that those drivers backed off because they realized how shitty of a driver you really are and didnt want to be near you for their own safety.

PapaDill
02-09-2011, 05:06 PM
If you're going to cut, at least have the decency to give out free beer... It's the American thing to do.

algunz
02-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Do you think there will be a traffic clusterfuck beyond the usual drama because of the "not within a mile without a wristband" deal? I'll be riding my bike, so I'll wave as I pass. Just curious.

Rachelll0ve
02-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Ya'll are cute as fuck.

anonimouse
02-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Do you think there will be a traffic clusterfuck beyond the usual drama because of the "not within a mile without a wristband" deal? I'll be riding my bike, so I'll wave as I pass. Just curious.

i was thinking the same. i can see it now, a car with 1-2 dbags without wristbands trying to talk their way out of it for 20 mins while holding up the line, could get messy. driving to the fest has been different for me every year, you can only plan so much. leaving on the other hand...

if you want to avoid traffic leaving the show you have three options.

leave early
camp
wait for traffic to die off, then leave (keep in mind if you choose this option you might be waiting a really really long time)

there's really no other way*. every year since 04 i have made it a point to leave about 10-20 mins before the last major act finishes (main/outdoor/sahara) and ive rarely been stuck in traffic more than 20 mins. yes i have missed a few good endings, daft punk being the only one i regret, but other than that i'd rather miss prince/rage/the cure/etienne de caca/etc's encore than be stuck in my car for 5 hours

*unless youre lucky enough to get a good spot in a good lot

Suffacated
02-09-2011, 07:23 PM
This is how I deal with people who seem to think that they are too good to wait for their turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNnaXq5PglE

Rachelll0ve
02-14-2011, 04:09 PM
This is how I deal with people who seem to think that they are too good to wait for their turn.

IN HEAVEN DER R NO LINEZ.

Tandemind
02-14-2011, 04:30 PM
IN HEAVEN DER R NO LINEZ.

So not true.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GU8YG_Zyo64/SUZ4CIfNi8I/AAAAAAAAAfw/0VVa7iIYSsA/s400/n622216354_2119823_5234.jpg

nosurprises12
02-14-2011, 05:19 PM
The traffic is a nightmare on Thursday night. You can wait 4-5 hours to get to your camping area.

If you can get out of work early...do so. The later you are the longer the wait.

Have a cooler ready, food ready, gas up as you enter town and be ready to wait.

This is very, very true; we left LA at around 9PM, got about a mile or so from the venue by midnight and weren't at our spot until 3AM. Lesson learned; I'm hitting the rode at 11AM on Thursday.

stonedfreedom
03-31-2011, 10:05 AM
Is traffic thursday really that bad? How is the searching thursday night? Are they taking their sweet ass time with each and every car, makeing you unpack literally everything searching for guns and drugs? Are searches on thursday more intense/detailed than friday? My group (of about 25-30 cars) is trying to meet up around 5-6pm in town then caravan in. Is traffic still horrendous at this hour?

iammrcandyman
03-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Is traffic thursday really that bad? How is the searching thursday night? Are they taking their sweet ass time with each and every car, makeing you unpack literally everything searching for guns and drugs? Are searches on thursday more intense/detailed than friday? My group (of about 25-30 cars) is trying to meet up around 5-6pm in town then caravan in. Is traffic still horrendous at this hour?

guns? guns?!?!?!? who said anything about guns

naruto_kenshin
03-31-2011, 11:03 AM

Fuck you anyway. Impatient bastard. What about all the people behind that didn't get one?

comedeysal
03-31-2011, 11:13 AM
First time I went it was 2004, I'd just turned 17, and I was trying to get back to my mom's time share in palm springs (she was freaking out because it was so late). Around 2AM i tried calling her with my buddy's razor cell phone to let her know we were still in the parking lot trying to get out. After I hung up, I (out of habit) put my friends phone into the cup holder closest to me. Unfortunately there was a glass (half full) of water in the cup holder and I had accidentally dunked his phone into it. Showed up to the time share around 4am, got yelled at, did the time share one more year and have been camping ever since!

naruto_kenshin
03-31-2011, 11:27 AM
You line cutters have a thing or two to learn from this speech... specifically here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JzGOiBXeD4#t=08m47s

stonedfreedom
03-31-2011, 01:43 PM
guns? guns?!?!?!? who said anything about guns

i did....

stonedfreedom
03-31-2011, 03:22 PM
I am just curious how bad traffic will be Thursday around 6-7pm?

Kid Charlemagne
03-31-2011, 03:37 PM
I got a handjob waiting to get in last year from a girl I'd only met a few hours before.

stonedfreedom
03-31-2011, 03:41 PM
I got a handjob waiting to get in last year from a girl I'd only met a few hours before.

way to stay on topic of traffic....and how bad it is....lol. But well done.

GuyInTucson
03-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Ya'll are cute as fuck.

Too bad you aren't, skank.

stonedfreedom
03-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Too bad you aren't, skank.

wow....

This is Coachella forum, coachella fest is all about love and making friends. Not putting people down...

PlayaDelWes
03-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Maybe it was just an inadvertent comma, you just never know.

Bomboclat
03-31-2011, 04:34 PM
wow....

This is Coachella forum, coachella fest is all about love and making friends. Not putting people down...

Shut up and change your tampon.

GuyInTucson
03-31-2011, 06:30 PM
wow....

If it's all about love and making friends then maybe I will let you toss my salad when I arrive at the polo Fields.

You don't come on these boards often do you?

GuyInTucson
03-31-2011, 06:35 PM
wow....

When reading this mesage, I imagine you looking like this....

http://images.wikia.com/rocky/images/5/51/Troyb2.jpg