PDA

View Full Version : Why do people hate them?

orangejulius
02-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Okay, there are a load of bands out there that seem to garner a lot, or at least more than average levels of hatred/loathing.

Some, I full understand. Kings of Leon is hated because they have become boring and samey, and beloved by douchebags. It also doesn't help that they are well reported to be douchebags themselves.

Another is Skrillex. I've seen multiple videos of this guy doing nothing more than pushing play and thrusting his hands in the air. Unacceptable. I don't pay people to lie unless they are politicians.

Some acts are hated because of their weak live shows. MIA has frequently fallen into this category, even though she had a couple decent albums.

Some acts, well, I just don't get the hatred. Is it because they are successful? Phoenix for instance. Great live band, great albums. They got a lot of attention from Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, and people started hating on them sometime last year. And they didn't change anything in particular about themselves, they just put out a better album than usual.

In this same category, but to a greater/lesser extent is Vampire Weekend. They are a good live band. Not great, just good. Both their albums are pretty good. A lot of people turn their noses up and laugh if I mention Vampire Weekend. To be honest, I didn't really like the afropop/worldbeat thing they pushed in the original so much, but warmed up to it, and really enjoyed seeing them in 2009. (opening for Phoenix and Spoon in San Diego) I liked them even more in 2010 after Contra was released, and thought they were better, more confident, and just put on an interesting show in general.

So, I want to know the reasons why people hate acceptable, above average, and often great bands. Is this general snobbery from the pretentious "they're on a label, so they are the enemy" crowd, (we get a lot of this around Chicago) ignorance from never seeing them live, or do you actually just not like their music and care to share why? I appreciate any answers.

bobchella
02-07-2011, 01:19 PM
You're making Chicagoans look stupid. STFU.

Love,
Your Neighbor

ramblinon
02-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Well, sometimes when you're of average intelligence, you've done nothing of note in your life, and you're not particularly cool and interesting in your own right... you need something that makes you feel superior. No one wants to feel like another brick in the wall, so to speak.

nathanfairchild
02-07-2011, 01:36 PM
i accidentally saw a few of Phoenix's shows due to the fact that they were just about everywhere the past couple of years, and I found them to be incredibly dull and boring live. Their music is whatever to me, not my favorite, just boring.

mojavemolester
02-07-2011, 02:03 PM
I like the way this thread started. While it's basically an invitation to be flamed on, I would like to see a decent answer. The best answer so far was "there (their) music is whatever to me, not my favorite, just boring". An eloquent review, no doubt, but I think that a more in depth answer could be given.

ramblinon
02-07-2011, 02:10 PM
I like the way this thread started. While it's basically an invitation to be flamed on, I would like to see a decent answer. The best answer so far was "there (their) music is whatever to me, not my favorite, just boring". An eloquent review, no doubt, but I think that a more in depth answer could be given.

But the thread isn't about just Vampire Weekend, it's about the whole lot of bands with decent music and major label deals.

I reiterate my original point. Everyone wants to feel special, just like momma told them they are.

heart cooks brain
02-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Tsl0QKpt2qE

GuyInTucson
02-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Whoever hates on Phoenix obviously missed them on the Outdoor Theater last year. Incredible set.

BeeII
02-07-2011, 02:52 PM
meh, i dont like hating on bands im not fond of anymore. seems childish. like what you like and live and let be.

TomAz
02-07-2011, 02:59 PM
There is such a thing as bad taste.

heart cooks brain
02-07-2011, 03:03 PM
There is such a thing as bad taste.

prime example

TomAz
02-07-2011, 03:05 PM
http://island-adv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/banghead.gif

menikmati
02-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Radiohead sucks.

sleepybrew
02-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I actually really like Phoenix, but I still think United is their best album.

mojavemolester
02-07-2011, 04:19 PM
But the thread isn't about just Vampire Weekend, it's about the whole lot of bands with decent music and major label deals.

I reiterate my original point. Everyone wants to feel special, just like momma told them they are.

Oh dude, I actually liked your answer a lot...that's why i didn't site it as lame or not in depth. I think you had your finger right on it.

mojavemolester
02-07-2011, 04:19 PM
prime example

Nice.

The Coach
02-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Whoever hates on Phoenix obviously missed them on the Outdoor Theater last year. Incredible set.

This^

I don't listen to Phoenix much but they put on a good show last year. Huge crowd that almost went back to the tents and good sound. MGMT and Vampire Weekend were underwhelming for that stage, and Atoms was a religous experience.

Mucho Maas
02-08-2011, 12:00 AM
and Atoms was a religous experience.

were you the person next to me screaming in my face, during the entire set, "oh my fucking god, can you believe this?!?!? we are watching god!...are you seeing this?!?!?...that is a fucking god right there!"

that was fun.

nathanfairchild
02-08-2011, 12:18 AM
were you the person next to me screaming in my face, during the entire set, "oh my fucking god, can you believe this?!?!? we are watching god!...are you seeing this?!?!?...that is a fucking god right there!"

that was fun.

hahaha

The Coach
02-08-2011, 12:22 AM

that was fun.

haha no, not me.

thombjork
02-08-2011, 09:41 AM
when a band gets super hyped up, very few people remain neutral. people either jump on the bandwagon or resist it with passion.

everyone i know either hates or loves vamp weekend. same with KOL.

The Coach
02-09-2011, 07:54 AM
I am curious as to why people hate Coldplay so much.

ramblinon
02-09-2011, 08:48 AM
I am curious as to why people hate Coldplay so much.

I hate Coldplay because Speed of Sound stole the hook from Clocks (a great song, IMO). If memory serves, they were both the first single off of consecutive albums. And yet, for the hook in their "big song", the best they could do is change the key and slightly change the cadence.

Not only are they stunningly unoriginal for doing that, but they're insulting their audience in thinking that hardly anyone would notice. Ergo, they can die by rape.

It's def. not because of popularity, because I was a fan of Rush of Blood to the Head even when it had gone global in a big way.

Radiohead
02-10-2011, 12:14 AM
I hate Coldplay because Speed of Sound stole the hook from Clocks (a great song, IMO). If memory serves, they were both the first single off of consecutive albums. And yet, for the hook in their "big song", the best they could do is change the key and slightly change the cadence.

Not only are they stunningly unoriginal for doing that, but they're insulting their audience in thinking that hardly anyone would notice. Ergo, they can die by rape.

It's def. not because of popularity, because I was a fan of Rush of Blood to the Head even when it had gone global in a big way.

So you hate them because two of their songs have really similar hooks? Wow, it's really easy for a band to get on your bad side.