PDA

View Full Version : Coachella vs Sasquatch

moham1989
02-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I live in Vancouver and choose to drive to Indio for Coachella rather than go to Sasquatch in May. But I would like to hear what ppl have to say that have been to both, how does the gorge compare?

DANCE MAGIC
02-06-2011, 11:48 AM
It doesn't compare. Sasquatch was awesome. I had a lot of fun. It's just not really in the same league as Coachella.

guedita
02-06-2011, 11:50 AM
If you are used to the friendly, polite nature of Canadians and Washingtonians, get ready for something all together different. The crowd at Coachella is what I found to be the most different. The Coachella crowd will be packed with entitled LA types that think they are the center of the world.

jpitts
02-06-2011, 11:51 AM
I live in Seattle and went to both last year, and have tickets to both this year.

It really depends on what you're looking for in a festival.

This will be Sasquatch's 10 year anniversary festival so it's 4 days long instead of the usual 3. Tickets are also only $285 for all four days including camping, not to mention what you'd save on the trip down to California.

The big differences between Coachella and Sasquatch are: the sheer size of Coachella. Sasquatch pulls something like 35,000 people and Coachella did 75,000 last year (I think?). The second big thing is that Coachella will have bigger headliners (although this year they kind of suck). Coachella also has a much bigger electronic/techno scene. Sasquatch doesn't have much of anything that compares with the Sahara tent. That being said, Sasquatch usually pulls in some solid undercards. While their headliners might not be the best out there, they usually have some of the best smaller bands. Also, the Gorge is absolutely stunning when the weather is nice. People say it looks like a mini grand canyon, and that's completely accurate. The main stage is literally right on the edge of a cliff.

If money is an issue, do Sasquatch. If it isn't, do both :)

I love Sasquatch because it is smaller, not as hot, and is always a great time. However, last year was my first Coachella and it blew my mind.

Last thing, the women are so much hotter at Coachella. No comparison. Not even close.

DANCE MAGIC
02-06-2011, 11:52 AM
I think the biggest difference was the sound. The Main Stage at the Gorge is awesome, sure, but the side stages and the tent just don't compare at all to what's at Coachella. The Sahara just smashes apart anything at Sasquatch. I remember having a conversation with Matt when the Fiver was playing, and I could totally hear him talking and everything. That would never happen at Coachella.

Harrisment
02-06-2011, 05:04 PM
I've always wanted to go to Sasquatch but I'm a little bitch that doesn't like to camp.

djbionik
02-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Ah, Sasquatch is so awesome. It's definitely more 'adult'. Not as much pushing, most of the bands have more experience under their belt, or at least very noteworthy if they're new. The camping is totally cool. You can take up as much or as little space as you want, and you can adventure around the area before/after the show, because the traffic isn't nearly as heinous as the Polo Club. The guys in the camping spot next to ours (which was many yards away from ours, not squished) they had brought their boat and planned on being on it during some of the show. They had a great time, and even offered us a trip around the gorge in their boat. So cool!
It's a gorgeous drive, chill people, really relaxed. I did hate the bathrooms, and you leave sort of like.. wait, that's it? I say that because Coachella is so intense on your senses. There's so much of everything; bands, food choices, grass, heat, people, after-parties, traffic, drugged up kids.. Whereas Sasquatch is quaint. You walk back and can hear the bullfrogs in the pond, there are more RV's that people actually own.. haha. It's just so different. I say do both if you can!

Drewski27
02-06-2011, 09:23 PM
PS the lineup for sasquatch just dropped. Coachellas lineup surpasses it for sure.

chopperdave934
02-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Coach "wins" for sure, but there's enough Sasquatch has that we don't that I'm seriously contemplating trying to do both:
Modest Mouse, Wilco, Lips, Iron & Wine, Beach House, MSTRKRFT, Flying Lotus, MAJOR LAZER!!, Archers of Loaf, Guided by Voices, Reggie Watts, etc.

And I would happily see !!!, DFA, and Ratatat twice.

It's pretty stacked in its own way. Curious how it's going to be spread out over the days.

jpitts
02-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah, after seeing the Sasquatch lineup I won't be going for all 4 days. Kind of a lackluster lineup IMO

magmazing
02-07-2011, 09:20 PM
This...
Nb5GpV_LUuU

vs.

This...
9xZFvkdytXk

Also
Coachella: 30 - 40 degree celcius under hot sun on a polo field in the middle of a vacation city in the California desert
Sasquatch: cold - 30+ degree celcius with who knows what kind of weather conditions (hot sun, crazy wind, rain, hail) on one of the most scenic natural amphitheatres in the middle of nowhere Washington State.

Driving to Indio takes close to 24 hours from Vancouver if you drive non-stop, only taking gas and food breaks.
Driving to The Gorge takes about 5 or 6 hours I think?

Coachella: You have the option of camping or getting a hotel room or getting a group of you to rent a condo or house. Car camping at Coachella is quite restricted with a set amount of space. Thorough car search and no booze allowed. etc.
Sasquatch: Camping is pretty much the only option to stay close to the venue. Car camping at Sasquatch is more relaxed. You can bring whatever booze you want and no car search.

Coachella: fenced in beer gardens serving beer in plastic cups
Sasquatch: take your 448ml (16 oz.) can of Coors Light, Heineken or I guess Kokanee this year (it used to be Molson Canadian) anywhere around the Gorge venue.

Mugwog
02-08-2011, 02:25 PM
If you are used to the friendly, polite nature of Canadians and Washingtonians, get ready for something all together different. The crowd at Coachella is what I found to be the most different. The Coachella crowd will be packed with entitled LA types that think they are the center of the world.
says the smug san franciscan

untzcrate
02-08-2011, 07:34 PM
dZ1AuFcipm0

Hahahaha!

OMG.

Thank goodness for related videos.

Sasquatch looks like a party!

(sarcasm)

tessalasset
02-09-2011, 12:43 PM
I've been to 7 Coachellas and 1 Sasquatch (2009). THE biggest difference for me was how much easier Coachella is. Sasquatch is on a rolling hill whereas Coachella is just a large flat piece of land. Easier to get from stage to stage at Coachella (altho post-2010, I wouldn't necessarily make that assertion). I also thought it was hotter than expected at Sasquatch, which was intensified by the fact that there aren't many places to hide from the sun there. If you're watching the main stage, you're pretty much just out in the middle of a hill with nothing to cover you. While yes, that's the same at Coachella, at least Coach has three of their stages in covered tents. That makes a difference, for sure. I also felt much more claustrophobic at Sasquatch. It's smaller, and everything kind of felt on top of each other, especially the stage in the middle where all the food courts were surrounding it. I like that with Coachella you can basically walk anywhere across the field to get to another stage, where with Sasquatch you have to stay on one or two walkways to get there.

Camping is a whole other thing I don't even have the energy to get into right now, but Sasquatch general camping was atrocious compared to Coachella. I'd never camp at the main campground again if I went there. All about Wild Horse from here on out.

untzcrate
02-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Verdict?

Sasquatch blows!

Inthecolumbiagorge
02-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Coachella reigns supreme in my book, but that is not to say that Sasquatch is without merit. Indio polo fields ain't no Gorge Amphitheater that is for sure! For anyone that has not been there, not much else in the US compares to the natural beauty of the venue in the Columbia River Gorge aside from Red Rocks in Colorado perhaps. It is an amazing place to say the least. The lineup at Sasquatch may not be as good, but it is good, and for my money Foo Fighters have it on any band at Coachella this year but I am very partial to Mr. Grohl:-) Still, if I could only choose one, Coachella it would be but we are going to try to hit both this year if we can swing it. We live right on the Columbia river about 120 miles down river from Sasquatch so it is in our back yard almost compared to the 17 hour drive for us to Coachella. Seems silly not to go when it is so close and really...is there such a thing as too many music festivals:-)

untzcrate
02-10-2011, 12:39 PM
..is there such a thing as too many music festivals:-)

QFT!

PDXdev
02-10-2011, 02:17 PM
The gorge is the most beautiful venue I've ever been to. The backdrop behind the main stage is something you cannot even imagine without being there. That being said, however, I found Coachella to be a lot more fun. I like the fact that there are more people, stages, and variety in music. Living in Portland, OR also makes me much more excited about spending three days in the southern California sun, rather than the Pacific Northwest gray. Not that I don't love it here, but that sun is something else.

Despite most people speaking to the contrary, I actually found that at least near the front of the main stage at Sasquatch there's much more pushing and moshing than Coachella. I was surprised at how mellow the Coachella crowds were but, to be fair, I'm only basing that off of last year. Am I the only one to have experienced this?

falc0n2600
02-10-2011, 10:03 PM
The gorge is the most beautiful venue I've ever been to. The backdrop behind the main stage is something you cannot even imagine without being there. That being said, however, I found Coachella to be a lot more fun. I like the fact that there are more people, stages, and variety in music. Living in Portland, OR also makes me much more excited about spending three days in the southern California sun, rather than the Pacific Northwest gray. Not that I don't love it here, but that sun is something else.

Despite most people speaking to the contrary, I actually found that at least near the front of the main stage at Sasquatch there's much more pushing and moshing than Coachella. I was surprised at how mellow the Coachella crowds were but, to be fair, I'm only basing that off of last year. Am I the only one to have experienced this?

In 2009 we definitely got moshed badly during Gogol Bordello. We were waiting for Fleet Foxes, and while we liked Gogol, the fans were all asses. And it didn't help that the guy closest to us was about 300 pounds, and pissed.

Sasquatch is definitely beautiful, and it always has a really strong lineup. But Coachella is just bigger in every way, and it just has a little bit more polish to it. And nothing has exhausted me like Coachella!

bribrii
02-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Coachella Rules!

frizzlefry
02-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Even though I fucking adored Coachella last year and will be going without a doubt this year, looking at Sasquatch's lineup, even though half of it is Coachella '10 and '11 I still cringed with envy when I looked through that lineup. I guess I'm alone here looking at some of these post but the headliners are top notch, even though they aren't absurdly popular like Kol or Kayne, well besides Foo Fighters, (which I still haven't seen yet), they are still acts I'd like to see more than some of Coachella's shit headliners, plus good undercard. This is also a filthy Riverside County resident speaking here, so I've seen my share of dry ass tweeker deserts and flat valleys, I would like some elevation for once, plus I've never been that far north.

Media Blitz
02-11-2011, 06:24 AM

I've never lived anywhere as self-important as the Bay Area. Ever.

Mucho Maas
02-12-2011, 05:45 PM

truth.

JClemy
02-12-2011, 05:55 PM
I would love to do both but Coachella is like Mecca. I have to go every year.

guedita
02-12-2011, 06:02 PM

truth.

Have either of you ever been to Sasquatch? People in California are terribly self important, both in LA and San Francisco. The crowd I experienced at Sasquatch was like nothing I'd ever seen before. People saying excuse me, thank you, hello, giving you total room to dance. Waiting in lines for the bathroom instead of trying to cut in front of people.

I never once claimed that San Franciscoans are any less dickish than LA types, but there are large numbers of people from LA at Coachella. And there are large numbers of Canadians and Washingtonians at Sasquatch.

concertgoer
02-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Never been to Sasquatch though I have a couple of friends who love the Gorge
Having said that you cant' compare these festivials.
Music wise Coachella is always far superior
Coachella is a tier one fest and Sasquatch is in tier two

frizzlefry
02-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Never been to Sasquatch though I have a couple of friends who love the Gorge
Having said that you cant' compare these festivials.
Music wise Coachella is always far superior
Coachella is a tier one fest and Sasquatch is in tier two

Basically meaning that headliners at Sasquatch are equivalent to the always better second tier acts from Coachella, and no sold out frenzy to boot...hopefully

Fidoosh
02-15-2011, 10:52 AM
This...

Coachella: You have the option of camping or getting a hotel room or getting a group of you to rent a condo or house. Car camping at Coachella is quite restricted with a set amount of space. Thorough car search and no booze allowed. etc.
Sasquatch: Camping is pretty much the only option to stay close to the venue. Car camping at Sasquatch is more relaxed. You can bring whatever booze you want and no car search.
venue.

now I've only been to coachella but the car search isn't as extreme as u make it seem. They seemed to be really only looking for glass bottles because people walk around bare foot everywhere. I got everything I wanted in, party favors, booze, whatever. Wasn't that thorough.

SP The Ghost
02-15-2011, 11:11 AM
The topography of Sasquatch means I will never go. Fuck walking up and down that hill all day, Coachella is rough enough.

frizzlefry
02-15-2011, 11:43 AM
The topography of Sasquatch means I will never go. Fuck walking up and down that hill all day, Coachella is rough enough.

So if you're not a fattie like the ghost than this statement really doesn't pertain to you.

Edmontonian
02-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Sasquatch is fantastic, I come from Edmonton Alberta Can. and the best part about Sasquatch is nearly everyone I know who is into music goes down as it is much closer, also just a more laidback vibe and a mad party. The addition of the dance tent/more electronic acts in recent years has really improved the fest as a whole, and the Gorge is a really GORGEOUS venue, pun intended.

But as far as the music goes, Coachella is on a whole other level. It's not in the same ballpark, it ain't even the same game. And frankly I consider the Polo Fields with the green grass and palm trees to be almost as beautiful as the gorge.

But I mean, I'm really into electronic music (as well as rock, indie, hip hop, most everything) and really, the thing about Coachella that really makes it stand out is the MOTHERFUCKIN SAHARA TENT. comparing the INSANE light shows and visual displays and the overall vibe as well as the acts in the Sahara to Sasquatch's "Banana Shack" is like comparing Ibiza to a hole in the wall. Or like throwing an X-Wing at a Star Destroyer. If star wars references help you understand things more clearly. It is some next-level shit.

I also have a thing for live electronic bands. For instance, crystal castles, the presets, cut copy, trentemoller, yelle, I guess leftfield though I'm not really into it, etc. And for that sort of thing Coachella can't be beat.

bender
02-15-2011, 01:46 PM
shut up Edmontonian. You weren't even gonna go to Coachella this year until you saw the shitty Sasquatch line up. You thought it would compare.

SP The Ghost
02-15-2011, 02:24 PM
So if you're not a fattie like the ghost than this statement really doesn't pertain to you.

More or less.

Fresh prince of Coachella
02-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Fuck Sasquatch, Canadian girls are cute tho.....hmmm:confused:?

bender
02-16-2011, 06:17 AM
oh well, they're both sold out now.

Cheyenna
03-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Nothing compares to the Gorge, I've been more times than I can count off the top of my head, and I have never been to Coachella, BUT my experience with the many concerts that I have been to there is this; music festivals are hard to do there. The Gorge is stunning and one of my favorite places in the world, but I have found that my best experiences have been the single artist/evening shows. You show up, grab your spot on the hill, and rock out for the night (or more, DMB does a 3 day show there every Labor Day Weekend). Camping is casual and fun, but as other people have said, it does feel cramped when there are more stages and it's hard for me to tear myself away from the main stage, if only for that gorgeous view.

Jakeizbawm
02-04-2013, 10:06 PM
This year, Sasquatch kills coachella's lineup. holy fuck its upsetting

JustSteve
02-04-2013, 11:18 PM
No.

isnate
02-04-2013, 11:33 PM

lol u high bro?

gary312
02-05-2013, 09:10 AM

HAHA, upsetting how bad Sasquatch is yes!

orangejulius
02-05-2013, 09:16 AM
I don't see anything Sasquatch got that makes it better than Coachella. I actually thing it's a letdown this year.

heart cooks brain
02-05-2013, 09:22 AM

who's our little lion man
http://www.bestpricetoys.com/images/imported/32500.jpg

Reeber
02-05-2013, 02:55 PM
You cant compare Coachella to Sasquatch it's like comparing the NHL with the KHL.. two totally different leagues of course Coachella is better. For what it is though the Sasquatch line-up this year is good enough for me to go.. Only a 12 hour drive why not.

mmsk123
02-05-2013, 05:16 PM
I don't think you should compare throwing an X-Wing at a Star Destroyer to Sasquatch/Coachella because an X-Wing blew up the Death Star and that DESTROYS PLANETS.

mncarpooler
02-05-2013, 05:37 PM
You cant compare Coachella to Sasquatch it's like comparing the NHL with the KHL.. two totally different leagues of course Coachella is better. For what it is though the Sasquatch line-up this year is good enough for me to go.. Only a 12 hour drive why not.

Well when they're charging $340 for their fest this year, you have to compare.
That lineup is worth about $200, around the price of Lolla or Roo.

No way it's worth almost Coachella money.

TomAz
02-05-2013, 08:11 PM

I have a CKA jersey.

But fuck Sasquatch

Reeber
02-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Well when they're charging $340 for their fest this year, you have to compare.
That lineup is worth about $200, around the price of Lolla or Roo.

No way it's worth almost Coachella money.

Well for me my total trip to Coachella is going to be around 1500-2000 dollars (not including my stay in LA after) and Sasquatch is going to cost me like 600 dollars. So I guess for ME its worth it.

PDXdev
02-06-2013, 11:26 PM
With camping included and you live within a days drive it's worth it. I'm going no question because I live in Portland. I'm way more excited for the acts I'm going to see at Coachella, though. The Sasquatch ticket price bothers me much more due to the insane amount of advertising within the festival grounds. Live Nation...sigh...

casey
02-07-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm glad someone mentioned how bad the sound is at the side stages. In addition, in comparison to Coachella:

-the food at Sasquatch is terrible
-there is sound bleed at all side stages
-the grounds are ugly except at the main stage
-there is a beverage enforcement team that can come and sniff your drinks to make sure you don't have alcohol in them
-no art

on the plus side for sasquatch:

-more space to camp
-less rules at camp
-beautiful scenery at the main stage
-as guedita said, the people are really fucking nice there
-smaller bands from the coachella lineup get better spots at sasquatch, if there is crossover

It all really depends on what you're looking for in a festival. Sasquatch is a pretty "bare bones" fest. After having attended both, I would pick Coachella over Sasquatch every time, but there were definitely some magic moments at the Gorge. I would possibly consider returning for a regular show if I was ever up in WA again.

PDXdev
02-07-2013, 11:31 AM
-there is a beverage enforcement team that can come and sniff your drinks to make sure you don't have alcohol in them

That's the trade off for being able to buy drinks and consume them anywhere within the festival grounds, rather than just in a beer garden. Which is another pro for Sasquatch.

I agree with everything else you said though.

casey
02-07-2013, 01:24 PM
That's the trade off for being able to buy drinks and consume them anywhere within the festival grounds, rather than just in a beer garden. Which is another pro for Sasquatch.

I agree with everything else you said though.

They give out wristbands. I would understand checking people who do not have wristbands, but if I'm over 21 and have a wristband, who cares what I am drinking?

Also, another con for Sasquatch: you have to get a new drinking wristband every day.

concertgoer
02-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Beverage enforcement teams seriously?
WTF

PDXdev
02-07-2013, 11:39 PM
They give out wristbands. I would understand checking people who do not have wristbands, but if I'm over 21 and have a wristband, who cares what I am drinking?

Also, another con for Sasquatch: you have to get a new drinking wristband every day.

Valid point. That is annoying. I've never had a run in with this enforcement team before.