PDA

View Full Version : Coachella Vs Glastonbury

idlestar
02-04-2011, 05:02 AM
Has anyone here done both?...

We're heading over from the UK this year having exhausted UK/European festivals...

Although Glastonbury has become awfully commercial over the past 7 or 8 years, it's still widely regarded as the ultimate festival experience close to home...

I'd be interested to hear from people who have done both. What are the significant differences (minus the heat) and how does coachella rate as an overall festival experience in comparison?

Boourns
02-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Commercial...ahahahaha. wait until you see tents for all sorts of random corporations like state farm insurance, a vendor of overpriced speakers, and the latest failed attempt at a phone from microsoft. They do have air conditioning and sometimes free swag, though. And water isn't free and you can only drink one brand of $7 beer inside fenced-in beer gardens. The crowd at coachella is far less drunk, but more high. Younger, too. Though last year the strangers I talked to at glasto were universally friendly and didn't assume I was there solely to deal "rolls".

Coachella has more art than the major american fests, but it isn't on the same scale as glasto. Due to the smaller size of the area, that is to be expected. For after hours activities, there will be a tent for dubstep and last year there was an onsite skating rink and swings, both of which were quite fun.

Coachella was not very hot last year and was surprisingly overcast for much of the weekend. It was beautiful. Also, the fest is far easier on the feet. Not as much distance to travel, no hills and rocks. You only have to worry about dust, instead of mud and rain.

For lineups, they tend to be close in quality. Coachella had the better one last year but this year I imagine it will be the other way around, considering the current rumors and also that Glastonbury will have pulp and no kings of leon. The smaller name acts cater more to americans, so more pitchfork and less nme. One unfortunate thing about glasto is that certain styles rarely appear since the rise of atp. Their tendency to repeat acts excessively seems to have spread. Most of the bands that play nearly every festival in a given year will be at both.

Coachella merch is better, more variety, but also more expensive. Last two years had sales on merch from previous years and I scored some great swag cheaply.

shakermaker113
02-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Coachella's much smaller so it's much easier to hop around from one stage to another.

at Glastonbury people often camp out at one stage all day long. doesn't happen so much at Coachella.

along those lines, at Coachella you cannot take camping chairs or cases of beer into the festival with you like you can at Glastonbury. you can take them into the campsite, but not the festival area.

which brings me to another point - camping area is separated from the festival site. also all camping is in one area, and there is much less of it than at Glastonbury. most festival go-ers stay in hotels or houses in the area.

Coachella people tend to know and be very excited for who is on the lineup, vs Glastonbury there's a lot of people there just because they go every year regardless of who is playing. at least, Coachella used to be that way. I feel that is changing. (note: not an excuse to go off on a tangent in this thread).

at Coachella you can feasibly and will likely see everything. (I mean, outside of the bands - you obviously can't see every act that plays). at Glastonbury you walk away after to hear story after story about things you never discovered.

the food is better and more plentiful at Glastonbury.

Glastonbury is far more crowded and messier (trash wise) than Coachella.

Coachella is generally more restrictive. you will not find any open fires on festival grounds at Coachella.

you will also not find whippit salesmen at Coachella. oh, I miss the stone cricle.

people in the audience won't light flares up during acts at Coachella.

the singalongs at Glastonbury are far FAR better.

the list goes on.

ShyGuy75
02-04-2011, 08:13 AM
valley girl vs. mad max beyond thunderdome

Phantasma Del Mar
02-04-2011, 08:28 AM
people in the audience won't light flares up during acts at Coachella.

the singalongs at Glastonbury are far FAR better.

These two things make me very envious of the crowds in random Glastonbury videos. Also there's no army of flagpoles at Coachella.

sonofhal
02-04-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm sorry Frank, but the Coachella lineup pisses all over Glasto every year. I had quite a few times at Glastonbury last year where there was nothing on I wanted to see - across 50 stages.

That hardly ever happens to me at Coachella with only 5.

Boourns
02-04-2011, 08:39 AM
2009's lineup was better than Coachella's. The 2008 and 2010 Coachella's won. As for years before that, I'll have to investigate further.

sonofhal
02-04-2011, 08:58 AM
One big band you really want to see does not make a whole lineup better.

shakermaker113
02-04-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm sorry Frank, but the Coachella lineup pisses all over Glasto every year. I had quite a few times at Glastonbury last year where there was nothing on I wanted to see - across 50 stages.

That hardly ever happens to me at Coachella with only 5.

I've found this to generally be true when festivals have more stages. even at a festival with 7 stages I noticed this. the quality acts get spread out in the headline/sub-headline spots across all the stages, creating more conflicts and requiring a lot of filler earlier in the day.

with fewer stages, some of the smaller name quality acts will be opening up the larger stages instead of headlining the smaller stages. and the filler material just gets cut.

Boourns
02-04-2011, 09:03 AM
I've had considerable downtime every year at both.

Boourns
02-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Oh yeah, the set times clashes during the headliners at Glasto are fucking brutal; far moreso than at Coachella. Even if you hate the headliner, there's bound to be one or several other acts you'd like to see at the time. Plus all the non-musical things to do.

At Coachella, you're more likely to see more of the big names, if you care about that sort of thing.

ShyGuy75
02-04-2011, 09:29 AM
One big band you really want to see does not make a whole lineup better.

no, but 700 acts over 50+ stages does

its really not even close if you take emotion out of the equation

menikmati
02-04-2011, 09:31 AM

so you're arguing quantity over quality...

sonofhal
02-04-2011, 09:39 AM
A massive pile of shit is still a pile of shit.

Boourns
02-04-2011, 09:49 AM

Last year's Coachella still had a more interesting undercard than Glasto's, though.

GeminiDC
02-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Last year's Coachella still had a more interesting undercard than Glasto's, though.

Fever Ray?

GuyInTucson
02-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Considering I have plenty of family in the UK, I would love to do Glasto one year. That being said, a few of my relatives looked at this year's Coachella lineup (you know, the lineup some people - i.e., those who failed at getting passes and are now jaded or people who simply hate the lineup because of KOL or Kanye - are saying "sucks") and they told me "I wish Glastonbury pulled this type of lineup".

Not saying one is better than the other and Glastonbury is known to be in its own league really. But from people I know that have been to both in recent years, they seem to think Coachella is a much better option. Let's see how long they hold that opinion.

Leeartlee
02-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Wow, I'm really surprised to see so many opinions that Coachella pulls a better lineup than Glasto. Maybe it's because I never think I have a chance to get over there so I usually just glance at the lineup quickly, but I always thought Glasto beat most festivals hands down. Interesting...

*goes and checks on previous years*

ShyGuy75
02-04-2011, 11:13 AM
quanity, quality, and diversity. its not their fault that you don't know 80% of their lineup.

again, its really not even close once you take emotion out of the equation.

idlestar
02-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Some great points here...

In terms of the lineup, i think it depends what your after... For me, being in the UK, I have always been envious of the coachella lineup. I think the headliners are on a par, but as it filters down, coachella seems stronger. But, people go to Glasto because it's Glasto - tickets are sold out way in advance of the lineup even being announced! You even have to pre-register for tix in f*cking December these days! Seems crazy to me but hey...

What does always frustrate with glasto is the set clashes. Just to walk from the 'other' stage to the pyramid stage (they're directly behind each other) can take up to half an hour in traffic, and that's not even considering the john peel stage which seems miles away!

Looking forward to some realistic stage hopping at coachella...

LyricsForTheMind
02-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Isn't Glastonbury cancelled this year?

whoops nevermind. friend told me that and was obviously mistaken....sorry

sonofhal
02-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Yes. They just haven't told anybody.

bottomfeeder
02-04-2011, 03:51 PM
I've never been to Glasto but one common thing I hear when comparing the two (and Coachella to other fests) is that it never rains at Coachella, whereas with Glasto it's always a possibility. Any truth to this?

I personally would not enjoy dealing with the mud and rain and all that mess. Even though it can get oppresively hot at Coachella, it's a dry heat and I'd take it over rain and mud any day.

Boourns
02-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Yes, last year was the only year without rain.

Phantasma Del Mar
02-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Isn't Glastonbury cancelled this year?

whoops nevermind. friend told me that and was obviously mistaken....sorry

They're taking 2012 off.

abbeyroad 04
02-04-2011, 09:53 PM
No sea of waving FUCKING flags at Coachella. Thank Christ.

ukgal
02-05-2011, 04:45 AM
This year will be my first Coachella and my 10th Glastonbury. I am soo excited for both...

btw: Coldplay have just announced they are healining Glasto on the Saturday night...:)
U2 on the Friday
Coldplay Saturday
Stones? Sunday maybe

Cant wait!!

untzcrate
02-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Stones? Sunday maybe

I wish I could see the Stones.

=(

sonofhal
02-05-2011, 01:01 PM
quanity, quality, and diversity. its not their fault that you don't know 80% of their lineup.

again, its really not even close once you take emotion out of the equation.

It's their fault if I don't like 80% of the lineup.

ShyGuy75
02-05-2011, 03:34 PM
it took you that long to come up with that?

sonofhal
02-05-2011, 03:44 PM
It did. I've been thinking of nothing else for the last 26 hours.

You may also be shocked to discover that my dislike of most recent Glastonbury lineups is not really about you. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

I'll go into it this year with a "What would ShyGuy75 watch?" mindset and see if it improves my enjoyment.

ShyGuy75
02-05-2011, 04:02 PM
now that we are on the same page, it doesn't seem that much fun anymore

its just a bit odd to me when something like this in front of you every year:

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up-poster/

that one has any downtime at all.

being able to see acts such as the egg, os mutantes or quintessence doesn't happen much here, whereas things like that seem to be the norm at glastonbury. and the bees, man. the fcking bees! i'm starting to think you locals take it for granted. to each their own i guess.