PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! ===> I don't get Arcade Fire

icnaxx
02-03-2011, 03:45 PM
hey there,

So I'm listening to Coachella 11 bands on You Tube, and Arcade Fire in particular.

I know people on this board love the band.

I just don't know why.

I'm trying to dig them. I'm trying to like them. I'm trying to get what they are about.

But I dont.

"Wake Up", "My Body Is A Cage", "Ready to Start", none of them turned me on.

Please help me understand. thx.

mikebspeedracer
02-03-2011, 03:49 PM
you gotta listen to more of their stuff and check out their live videos, i didn't really get them at first either, then i saw them open for the RHCP in 07' at coachella and i have been a fan ever since.

try turning the lights down low and smoke a fat bowl and see what you think after that.

zachyd
Neighborhood #1? Keep the Car Running? Windowsil?

nocigarettes
im with you, i just dont get it

discobotica
02-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Paging Salah, the biggest Arcade Fire fan in the world

:D

Neighborhood Creep
02-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Don't force your self. At least conflicts will be easier at 1100pm

HandBanana
02-03-2011, 03:53 PM
prolly time to kill yerself brah

Pat24
02-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Lets go back in time...

6V41qkhU-98

mikebspeedracer
02-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Lets go back in time...

6V41qkhU-98

YES!! Amazing video

Stickjohn
02-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Probably already dying of latent musical taste deficiency syndrome.

AndLeoObre
02-03-2011, 04:02 PM
If you dont get the Arcade Fire you dont get life. Try No Cars Go and Keep the Car Running. I started with those two and now listen to at least one of their songs everyday

mlant
02-03-2011, 04:31 PM
As your attorney I'd advise you to get Funeral, their first album.
Listen to it front to back at least 3 times.
In my experience good music can sometimes be challenging. Give the album 3 listens before you judge.

Then move on to Neon Bible. Do the same. Give it some time. 3 listens.
Go back to Funeral. Listen to it again.

Then pick up their self titled EP which came out before Funeral.
Give it a whirl to see how they've progressed.
Listen to Funeral & Neon Bible again.

Now pick up Suburbs.
Give it 3 listens front to back.

You've still got 70 days, so do this over the course of a few weeks.

This is kind of what I did with Radiohead back in the day when Kid A was released. I thought "this shit is crazy. is this music?" I was a kid so what did I know. I knew there must be something I'm not getting, how could so many people be wrong, how could Radiohead be shit? So I went back and got The Bends and OK Computer and took my time with those, and after that Kid A made sense and to this day I adore everything Radiohead has ever done, yeah, even Pablo Honey has its moments.

Ever since, if a record is challenging or sounds crazy or I think "I don't get it" that makes me excited. I always give them 3 listens, usually by that third time something happens and I get it, if not I move on knowing I gave it a real shot, just not my thing.

Arcade Fire are not a singles band, although they have some damn good ones. They make great albums that reveal songs in a different light when put together as a whole.

I hope that helps.

Start off right, the first song off their first album. Have a listen:
DxA2kR3r5bM

tral!
02-03-2011, 04:37 PM
i dont understand how arcade fire could ever be considered "challenging"...

edit: maybe you just dont like them.

wewantmuse
02-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Musical taste is subjective. Go to the shows you think you'll enjoy. You should never be at a stage simply because of a band's hype. If you don't like what you hear, that's fine, just never admit to it on this board or you'll get wrecked.

icnaxx
@ zachyd, i'll listen to those, thx.

@mikebspeedracer, yeah, I hear you. Its just I didn't go, "Wow, I dig them." Guess it takes a bit of time. They definitely aren't poppy, or structure their songs to be mass consumed.

@nocigarettes, amen!

@Neighborhood Creep, thx. I heard The Rolling Stones still might headline that day. Also, Daft if rumored, for the 1 x 10e100 time, lol.

@Pat24, I dig that video. the energy is great.

@AndLeoObre, true. I try those. maybe one day :)

@mlant, thx for the thoughtful answer. I really appreciate it. Yes, sometimes it takes a while to fall in love with a band. Its like when a band is so unique compared to lot of the mainstreet crap it takes a bit of time to rewire our brain to get what they are about.

DropletsOfYes&No
They are like fine wine. Its an acquired taste. At first you may wonder what all the fuss is and in the end you are singing the praises of the choir.

Necie
02-03-2011, 04:42 PM
For me, Arcade Fire was one of those bands that grew on me as opposed to being an instant hit. Years ago, I listened to Wake Up since everyone who was into Arcade Fire was jizzing all over themselves about that song, but it did nothing for me. So I decided to give them another chance a couple years ago, but this time I played the entire album. From that point I was addicted. *shrugs* Iím sure for some people it was an instant love (or hate), but for me, I connected with them only after I was able to take in their entire concept. Also, itís probably an obvious statement to make but, for everyone, there are some bands or types of music that you need to be in a certain mood/place to appreciate. When I first listened to Arcade Fire, I was in a faster paced, more electropop/darkwave kinda place musically..But when I re-listened to them, I had kind of mellowed out a lil bit and was more open to where they were taking me. 
So I guess I would say hereís a list of tracks that really resonate for me..maybe they will for you. But Iíll also say there are some bands that are hugely important to other people (with a ravenous fan base) that I want nothing to do with and maybe for you Arcade Fire is one of those bands!

Neighborhood #2
Neighborhood #3
Spraw II
Black Wave/Bad Vibrations
We Used To Wait
Wasted Hours
In the Backseat
Suburban War
Black Mirror
Neon Bible

Eeep my list is getting too long.

loubque
02-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Isnt trying too hard to like a band just trying too hard. Not everyone likes everyband. With music there is nothing special to get. Either you like it or not

Natelevmofuggaz
02-03-2011, 04:44 PM
As your attorney I'd advise you to get Funeral, their first album.
Listen to it front to back at least 3 times.
In my experience good music can sometimes be challenging. Give the album 3 listens before you judge.

Then move on to Neon Bible. Do the same. Give it some time. 3 listens.
Go back to Funeral. Listen to it again.

Then pick up their self titled EP which came out before Funeral.
Give it a whirl to see how they've progressed.
Listen to Funeral & Neon Bible again.

Now pick up Suburbs.
Give it 3 listens front to back.

You've still got 70 days, so do this over the course of a few weeks.

This is kind of what I did with Radiohead back in the day when Kid A was released. I thought "this shit is crazy. is this music?" I was a kid so what did I know. I knew there must be something I'm not getting, how could so many people be wrong, how could Radiohead be shit? So I went back and got The Bends and OK Computer and took my time with those, and after that Kid A made sense and to this day I adore everything Radiohead has ever done, yeah, even Pablo Honey has its moments.

Ever since, if a record is challenging or sounds crazy or I think "I don't get it" that makes me excited. I always give them 3 listens, usually by that third time something happens and I get it, if not I move on knowing I gave it a real shot, just not my thing.

Arcade Fire are not a singles band, although they have some damn good ones. They make great albums that reveal songs in a different light when put together as a whole.

I hope that helps.

Start off right, the first song off their first album. Have a listen:
DxA2kR3r5bM

I find it hilarious that you think Arcade Fire and Radiohead are "challenging" to listen to. You should listen to some Stars of the Lid or Merzbow and get back to me.

Arcade Fire are by no means a terrible band, but they do lack originality IMO. "Like holy shit bro, you're indie and you grew up in a suburban neighborhood and you're like totally fucking politically active because there like problems in the world and stuff - did I say HOLY FUCKING SHIT?!!!" *fab fab fab*

No. They write pseudo-political art rock songs that can be catchy as fuck and apparently sing them pretty terribly live. You're not alone in disliking them icnaxx.

AndLeoObre
02-03-2011, 04:49 PM
I find it hilarious that you think Arcade Fire and Radiohead are "challenging" to listen to. You should listen to some Stars of the Lid or Merzbow and get back to me.

Arcade Fire are by no means a terrible band, but they do lack originality IMO. "Like holy shit bro, you're indie and you grew up in a suburban neighborhood and you're like totally fucking politically active because there like problems in the world and stuff - did I say HOLY FUCKING SHIT?!!!" *fab fab fab*

No. They write pseudo-political art rock songs that can be catchy as fuck and apparently sing them pretty terribly live. You're not alone in disliking them icnaxx.

What's pseudo about their political songs? And Win's gotten better.

DropletsOfYes&No
02-03-2011, 04:49 PM

Now you know very well that is for the advanced class of music listeners. Maybe one day he or she can graduate to that. LOL

TheWhat
02-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Bro, Funeral is one of the best albums of the last decade, get on that.

DropletsOfYes&No
02-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Win and his brother are from Texas so at least they have some political knowledge to why things are messed up.

AndLeoObre
02-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Win and his brother are from Texas so at least they have some political knowledge to why things are messed up.

I didnt know being from Texas gave someone political insight

DropletsOfYes&No
02-03-2011, 05:04 PM
I didnt know being from Texas gave someone political insight

Kennedy, Bush I and Bush II? Now you know and "Knowing is half the Battle!" and them being from the Houston area one of the most messed up parts of Texas at that.

nathanfairchild
02-03-2011, 05:08 PM
here is there performance from Reading 2010. It'll let you see how awesome they are live. This guy has the whole performance on here. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArcadeFireTube2#p/c/31A5E43F9DCF873A/0/zpZOQZz61q4

custard
02-03-2011, 05:12 PM
here is there performance from Reading 2010. It'll let you see how awesome they are live. This guy has the whole performance on here. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArcadeFireTube2#p/c/31A5E43F9DCF873A/0/zpZOQZz61q4

That was a great, great performance. I agree with everybody on here, Arcade Fire seems to grow with you the more you listen to them. I didn't get Funeral at first, but now listen to all their albums at least once a week. Definitely the highlight of my Coachella this year

AndLeoObre
02-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Kennedy, Bush I and Bush II? Now you know and "Knowing is half the Battle!" and them being from the Houston area one of the most messed up parts of Texas at that.

The correct answer is "It doesnt"

braundiggity
02-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Keep The Car Running strikes me as the best possible introduction -- so accessible, so fun. Not saying it's my favorite (that'd probably be Rebellion (Lies)), but if you don't like Keep The Car Running, there's probably not much hope.

runaway_dreamer
02-03-2011, 05:20 PM
If you dont get the Arcade Fire you dont get life.

THIS.

runaway_dreamer
02-03-2011, 05:24 PM
They write pseudo-political art rock songs that can be catchy as fuck and apparently sing them pretty terribly live. You're not alone in disliking them icnaxx.

Wrong. I saw them at the Shrine last year and it was the best fucking show of my life. The energy was amazing, I get chills thinking about it sometimes. :rolleyes

MissingPerson
02-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Try listening to live recordings rather than their releases. Those songs really do come to life onstage, and even video is only a distant second. Still, there's some great stuff out there, I think the Madison Square Garden webcast or the MTV Galicia show are probably good starting points, both are on Youtube more or less in their entirety.

Tunnels is probably their best song; Wake Up is their most famous, and Power Out/Rebellion their live highlight, particularly for the awesome and totally bitchin' and radical transition from one song to another that starts at around 5:00 in the example I've presented.

JYF7cabzDQQ

5OmMPaLmxKg

9zzDnAyD00E

Isnt trying too hard to like a band just trying too hard. Not everyone likes everyband. With music there is nothing special to get. Either you like it or not

Not necessarily. I don't think it's that simple at all, in fact. Sometimes you can recognise a band has something going for it without really being able to find a way in. It can take a bit of patience for it to click, which is why the word "rewarding" pops up in music reviews a lot.

I'm not saying that's the case here - the OP might just really not like Arcade Fire - but I can dig the concept. If a bunch of other people were enjoying something a bunch, wouldn't you want to enjoy it just as much?

mikebspeedracer
02-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Wrong. I saw them at the Shrine last year and it was the best fucking show of my life. The energy was amazing, I get chills thinking about it sometimes. :rolleyes

i still get that exact same feeling after 4 years. i cant wait for saturday night!

DropletsOfYes&No
02-03-2011, 05:29 PM
The correct answer is "It doesnt"

There is no correct answer to an opinion or sarcasm.

fixed

runaway_dreamer
02-03-2011, 05:30 PM
i still get that exact same feeling after 4 years. i cant wait for saturday night!

72 more days my friend. :pulse

mikebspeedracer
02-03-2011, 05:31 PM
someone please post the "We Used to Wait" interactive music video. i cant seem to figure out how to post it.

MissingPerson
02-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Uh. It's interactive, so you can't embed it, you've gotta go to the website.

Clickety click:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2163/arcadefirewildnessdownt.png (http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/)

runaway_dreamer
someone please post the "We Used to Wait" interactive music video. i cant seem to figure out how to post it.

You could just go to the website yes? www.thewildernessdowntown.com

bearcloud
i hope they play mostly older stuff. anything (or everything) from funeral and neon bible. the suburbs made me steer clear of them for a while... regardless it will be fantastic to see such a great band perform live

nathanfairchild

I felt that way about Radiohead for a long time. I thought why should I need to listen to a whole album to "get" it, because at that time I was sort of in a pick up and play phase where I would disregard music if it wasn't instantly listenable to me. Then one day I decided to play OK Computer front to back and it was mesmerizing.

mikebspeedracer
02-03-2011, 05:37 PM
thanks guys

VigoTheCarpathian
02-03-2011, 05:39 PM
What kind of music do you listen to?

Name some artists.

AndLeoObre
02-03-2011, 05:43 PM
There is no correct answer to an opinion or sarcasm.

fixed

You didnt even fix it -____-

AndLeoObre
02-03-2011, 05:48 PM
JYF7cabzDQQ

5OmMPaLmxKg

9zzDnAyD00E

These are amazing. I've commented on a lot of Arcade Fire's yt videos but I just realized about half of them focus on Sarah's dancing :P

PrettyRagdoll
02-03-2011, 06:00 PM
hey there,

So I'm listening to Coachella 11 bands on You Tube, and Arcade Fire in particular.

I just don't know why.

I'm trying to dig them. I'm trying to like them. I'm trying to get what they are about.

But I dont.

I want to help you... But I can't get beyond you not at LEAST understanding "Wake Up" But like someone else said... Did you try: Keep Your Car Running?

Hearing them sound check that song from the campgrounds early in the morning was my favorite 07 moment

Trick Loves The Kids
02-03-2011, 06:32 PM
I don't like very much rock music at all but they are really really great live.

El.C.Dub
02-03-2011, 09:51 PM
what is there to get? it's music. you either like it or you don't. you are not wrong fror disliking them or right for enjoying them.

it's like saying, "hey guys, I just don't like the color red. Ya know, I've tried really hard, and i keep lookin at red but I don't like it."

-well have you tried blue? because that's my favorite...

saying that one artist/band/genre/etc. is objectively "good" or shitty or better than another is fucking ludicrous. it is no different than me claiming blue is the best color, and red sucks, and because you like red and I like blue I have better taste.

and just because a lot of people are into them (especially around here) doesn't necessarily mean that you should be ashamed you dont. Ironically, disliking Arcade Fire is actually more indie than liking them nowadays. However, I fucking love this band and once you see them live I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy them too.

elChurro
02-03-2011, 10:01 PM
I know people on this board love the band. I just don't know why.

Lucky for you there is another stage and 3 tents to choose from. They're sound isn't really that hard to digest, especially since all they're stuff sound similar/familiar... dunno, its their sound I guess. They're still a great band but a bit overrated imo.

Natelevmofuggaz
02-03-2011, 10:19 PM

I wouldn't know, I was just referring to the "Rebellion" video where his singing...well it wasn't too good. It was passionate! And you know what he was probably tired from just having played a whole show.. so I'll let it slide. I'll judge once I watch a whole live set.

And by pseudo-political I meant that they try to maintain a political image and message through their music, and that image/message isn't very clear.. I also feel as though they do it because political strife is "in" and because people will relate to their image/music because of it. I don't know, I usually dislike when politics and music mix.. it just gets to fucking green day for me.

darkjustice
02-03-2011, 10:25 PM
chumpy thread

Natelevmofuggaz
02-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Now you know very well that is for the advanced class of music listeners. Maybe one day he or she can graduate to that. LOL

Yeah I sound like an elitist musical asshole, but really... We all grew up in a post-Beatles world. What about Arcade Fire is so drastically fucking challenging? There's a verse... then chorus... then guess what? Another verse! Holy shit! Then wait wait wait.... ANOTHER chorus? Holy shit I don't think I can take this! All my mother played for me when I was young was silence and I've never listened to the fucking radio before!

And yes this is all very arbitrary because if you don't like something then well, you don't like it! Go listen to someone else and stop worrying about the fact that your opinion isn't the one shared by tons of people.

/end thread.

TomServo
02-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Listen to the complete albums, one after another.

Again and again.

If you don't like it, you must realize that art is subjective. I love Pink Floyd, so my favorite Arcade Fire album is The Suburbs, which has some real Floydian moments. Also, I saw them live before I knew for sure whether I loved 'em, and they sold me.

Good luck!

Don Juan
02-03-2011, 10:40 PM
hey there,

I just don't know why.

But I dont.

I'm so glad I missed out on tickets so somebody like this could get to go.

mikebspeedracer
02-03-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm so glad I missed out on tickets so somebody like this could get to go.

ya but they really want to see Jimmy Eat World

The Coach
02-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Neon Bible is what did it for me as soon as my sister put Intervention on really loud. Their newest album fell a little flat to me, but I am only on my 3rd or 4th listen. I think Ratatat and Elbow are the only Saturday acts that I would miss Arcade Fire for, and I don't see a conflict with Elbow.

mikebspeedracer
02-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Neon Bible is what did it for me as soon as my sister put Intervention on really loud. Their newest album fell a little flat to me, but I am only on my 3rd or 4th listen. I think Ratatat and Elbow are the only Saturday acts that I would miss Arcade Fire for, and I don't see a conflict with Elbow.

RATATAT is on sunday

The Coach
02-04-2011, 12:22 AM
RATATAT is on sunday

damn this beer.

A closer look has Empire of the Sun, The Kills, and One Day as a Lion as hopeful of no conflict.

TallGuyCM
02-04-2011, 12:28 AM
I love Pink Floyd, so my favorite Arcade Fire album is The Suburbs, which has some real Floydian moments.

:confused:

Leeartlee
02-04-2011, 12:49 AM
They are worth seeing live even if the albums don't quite "get" you. However, while I also was very impressed with their performance in 2007, I only like maybe three of their tracks. Keep the Car Running is by far my favorite... if for no other reason that it reminds me of Talking Heads at their prime.

They are a very polarizing band. Just the way it is.

Pixiessp
02-04-2011, 12:56 AM
See them live.

Nothing more to say here.

TallGuyCM
02-04-2011, 01:04 AM
Keep the Car Running is by far my favorite... if for no other reason that it reminds me of Bruce Springsteen at his prime.

Fixed. ;)

Leeartlee
02-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Really? I'm honestly curious, is there a song of his you would compare it too?

lediable76
02-04-2011, 02:15 AM
They will play funeral, neon bible, and the suburbs in their entirety. They will encore with some awesome bsides like broken window, cold wind, and brazil.

Shit!! Wishful thinking!!

Replicant
02-04-2011, 04:17 AM
I wasn't into AC until approx 8 months ago when I grabbed their albums of a colleague at work. I had heard plenty of their tracks before in passing but they never really grabbed me but I didn't have any new fresh tunes at the tine that I was hyping over, so what the he'll. When playing the cd's at first I was like, yeah it's ok, but for some reason it must have been sub concsiously getting under my skin because I kept playing them more and more. A couple of weeks later I realized I was totally hooked. It was a bit of a slow burn, but damn I love them now. For me they were def a band that I had to give some time to breath to appreciate their subtleties.

I hope the Coachella experience lives up to the stellar references everyone makes to their live shows.

captncrzy
02-04-2011, 05:16 AM
If you don't like it, you don't like it. Don't be a fucking bandwagoner.

Dede' Arneaux
02-04-2011, 06:17 AM
See them live.

Nothing more to say here.

What he said. I cant think of a better place than Coachella to pop your AC cork

Davids81
02-04-2011, 07:52 AM
I wasn't into AC until

What he said. I cant think of a better place than Coachella to pop your AC cork

What's with this AC shit? Fill me in.

TomServo
02-04-2011, 07:55 AM
:confused:

Said the guy who doesn't listen to Pink Floyd (apparently)? To be fair, it's more akin to Roger Waters' solo work, but I don't really separate the two.

Sprawl (Flatland) could have come directly off of a Waters solo album... but they never, ever play that song live. Deep Blue and Suburban War are both modernized versions of the kind of songs Waters went for in his solo career, and Win's winsome (heh) delivery recalls Waters at some moments. Throw in the entire political spectrum of the album and the continued "Suburbs" and you have today's version of what Waters used to do.

Obviously, Arcade Fire has a lot of dancy and poppy songs that don't have any correlation to Floyd, but as an entry to the album, you find what you relate to and work from there.

mojavemolester
02-04-2011, 08:08 AM
It's just subjective mate. Look at the positive, you will have great access to 4 other acts during Arcade Fire...probably acts like Empire of the Sun, Erykah Badu, or Paul Van Dyk or Angello (possible closers for outdoor theatre, mojave, sahara)

Jankypirate
02-04-2011, 09:24 AM

Haha this sums up very nicely how they are pseudo political. Just like your reasoning here.

I dont get em either. Or the idea that there are higher classes of music listener LOL. Nonsense, different tastes are not better that each other... except perhaps those born of "trying too hard" or wanting to be one of the cool ones who "get it"...

MissingPerson
02-04-2011, 10:06 AM
And by pseudo-political I meant that they try to maintain a political image and message through their music, and that image/message isn't very clear.. I also feel as though they do it because political strife is "in" and because people will relate to their image/music because of it. I don't know, I usually dislike when politics and music mix.. it just gets to fucking green day for me.

I think you've got him wrong. Butler doesn't set out to be overtly political, he just is quite politically engaged. He was one of the first people I heard mention the name Barack Obama, for instance, back in 2005 or so. He knows his stuff too, he's been able to speak at length about some pretty obscure European stuff on occasion. He bumped into some friends of mine in Spain a few years ago and was able to chat with them quite comfortably about some minor Irish political intrigue that barely even occupied the news in Ireland.

Butler was heavily involved in student politics all through school, and then went on to Exeter. As is often noted in scorn, he comes from a fairly comfortably wealthy background, and he's a smart guy who keeps himself pretty well informed. I suspect there's a very good chance that if the whole "music" thing didn't work out for him, he would have ended up in politics somewhere anyway. It's the only thing that seems to engage him nearly as much as music, and it makes sense for him to let it into his day job a lot.

Chassagne's heritage is often mentioned, but worth throwing in again. Big chunks of her family went missing before her parents got out of Haiti. Her dad fled to the US, and got his American citizenship before being drafted to Vietnam. He only moved North after he got back. Some of her uncles - so the story goes - went to Cuba and tried to overthrow Castro only to be ratted out by a priest.

The recurring political imagery and themes aren't just tacked on to chase the lefty hipster dollar - it's built right into the foundations. You think their political message is "unclear", but I think you've got it wrong - they just don't have a single political message as such. Political themes, sure, but they're not up there trying to find shit to rhyme with "Prop 8" or anything. Music is a product of the people that make it, and they just are political people. It's not something you could extricate, nor should you; you might as well ask them not to play in their own accents.

I don't think it's reasonable to demand that art and politics stay pure of the other. In fact, all art is political, as Win might argue. If they fail to balance the two well, that's one thing, but there are plenty of people out there singing about umbrellas and disco sticks already. There's room for somebody to be a bit serious too, and I don't think there's any embarrassment in at least having the guts to try it.

hendrixfan143
02-04-2011, 10:08 AM
If you don't like it, you don't like it. Don't be a fucking bandwagoner.

yeah bandwagoners suck

Stickjohn
02-04-2011, 10:11 AM
MissingPerson does not suck

TallGuyCM
02-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Said the guy who doesn't listen to Pink Floyd (apparently)? To be fair, it's more akin to Roger Waters' solo work, but I don't really separate the two.

Sprawl (Flatland) could have come directly off of a Waters solo album... but they never, ever play that song live. Deep Blue and Suburban War are both modernized versions of the kind of songs Waters went for in his solo career, and Win's winsome (heh) delivery recalls Waters at some moments. Throw in the entire political spectrum of the album and the continued "Suburbs" and you have today's version of what Waters used to do.

Obviously, Arcade Fire has a lot of dancy and poppy songs that don't have any correlation to Floyd, but as an entry to the album, you find what you relate to and work from there.

Ah, ok. I kinda see what you're saying. I'm actually a huge Pink Floyd fan, but I've never listened to Roger's solo material so maybe that's where I'm not catching your drift.

TallGuyCM
02-04-2011, 10:56 AM

Not really one song. More the vocal style and overall earnestness in the way Win sings on that song.

Gribbz
02-04-2011, 10:57 AM
There's nothing to "get." You either like them or you don't.

MissingPerson
02-04-2011, 10:58 AM
MissingPerson does not suck

People prefer my earlier stuff, that's all.

Gribbz
02-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Fucking sellout.

TomServo
02-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Ah, ok. I kinda see what you're saying. I'm actually a huge Pink Floyd fan, but I've never listened to Roger's solo material so maybe that's where I'm not catching your drift.

Right on. Well, listen to "Amused to Death" sometime, and you should get the same exact vibe on some of those songs that you'd get from the Win solo Sprawl song (Flatland, or whatever it is). Honestly, Win just sounds like young Roger Waters on that song, to my ears.

As always, music is subjective, but I love The Suburbs for the wide variety of styles. My wife and kid love the last Sprawl song - the really poppy, 80s sounding take.

But then again, I grew up in the 70s in the suburbs, so maybe I want to understand it deeper than someone else might.

icnaxx
02-04-2011, 12:03 PM
@braundiggity, i'll check those out. thx

@MissingPerson, Yeah, they do seem to be better live than on record. i guess with a band that big, their collective energy synergies better live.

@nathanfairchild, agreed.

@VigoTheCarpathian, Love Foo Fighters, Muse, White Stripes, ZZ Top, Linkin Park, RHCP, Rage, AC/DC, 311, Santana. Hendrix

@PrettyRagdoll, I think those are good songs. However, people LOVE Arcade Fire. I like them. Think they are good. Just not LOVE them. It's hard for me to see why they are so huge, why they are headlining.

@El.C.Dub. Agreed. Its just that when Saturday comes, I want to rock out to AF. I want to enjoy the music, and that means knowing their catalog before hand, liking it, and appreciating it.

@elChurro. Agreed. there are three stages. I just want to discover why people love the band, and maybe I might get there too.

@TomServo, thx

@Don Juan. Ur welcome, lol. But seriously, the point of playing festivals for bands is new exposure and gaining new fans ( and making a boad load of cash :) )

@Leeartlee. got it.

@Pixiessp, I plan on it.

@captncrzy, I'm not trying to get on their bandwagon. Rather, just trying to appreciate new bands. Seeing what is new and hot.

@Dale Gribble, sometimes it takes a couple of spins to appreciate an album or track.

Rachelll0ve
02-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I never gave Arcade Fire a chance, until I saw they were listed as the Saturday headliner. I went face first into their full discography and I have to say I could NOT be more excited to see them! Plus, Bowie digs em, and if Bowie agrees thats good enough for me. Definitely one of my favorite "finds" of Coachella (yes, sad that I needed to discover a HEADLINER... then again, I was screaming for Shpongle and Yacht and a bunch of my friends were all "uhh what?" )

loopy
02-04-2011, 12:38 PM
it's not bandwagoning if you're just trying to broaden your horizons. I agree with your "attorney" -- just ease into it and if you don't like it, then at least you gave them a chance and didn't dismiss them after 10 seconds of an opening track.

MissingPerson
02-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Yeah, the extreme alternative to bandwagoning - "I am too cool to enjoy something if other people like it too" - is surely far worse.

captncrzy
02-04-2011, 01:39 PM
It's bandwagoning if you're desperately trying to like something because everyone else likes it, even if you don't get it.

They've only got three albums for Christssakes. It's not like there's a KISS-size catalog to peruse.

TomAz
02-04-2011, 01:48 PM

almost all of Neon Bible is very influenced by Springsteen, some of it to a greater extent than others. "Keep the Car Running" is definitely one of the more E Streetish songs in my hearing. AF doesn't have the gee-whiz Mazola cornoil level that Springsteen does though, so you gotta look past that to see the similarity. Try "Working on the Highway" if you want to compare.

moomoo
02-04-2011, 02:20 PM
It's okay if you don't get it, you're not alone my friend.

Natelevmofuggaz
02-04-2011, 03:21 PM
I think you've got him wrong. Butler doesn't set out to be overtly political, he just is quite politically engaged. He was one of the first people I heard mention the name Barack Obama, for instance, back in 2005 or so. He knows his stuff too, he's been able to speak at length about some pretty obscure European stuff on occasion. He bumped into some friends of mine in Spain a few years ago and was able to chat with them quite comfortably about some minor Irish political intrigue that barely even occupied the news in Ireland.

Butler was heavily involved in student politics all through school, and then went on to Exeter. As is often noted in scorn, he comes from a fairly comfortably wealthy background, and he's a smart guy who keeps himself pretty well informed. I suspect there's a very good chance that if the whole "music" thing didn't work out for him, he would have ended up in politics somewhere anyway. It's the only thing that seems to engage him nearly as much as music, and it makes sense for him to let it into his day job a lot.

Chassagne's heritage is often mentioned, but worth throwing in again. Big chunks of her family went missing before her parents got out of Haiti. Her dad fled to the US, and got his American citizenship before being drafted to Vietnam. He only moved North after he got back. Some of her uncles - so the story goes - went to Cuba and tried to overthrow Castro only to be ratted out by a priest.

The recurring political imagery and themes aren't just tacked on to chase the lefty hipster dollar - it's built right into the foundations. You think their political message is "unclear", but I think you've got it wrong - they just don't have a single political message as such. Political themes, sure, but they're not up there trying to find shit to rhyme with "Prop 8" or anything. Music is a product of the people that make it, and they just are political people. It's not something you could extricate, nor should you; you might as well ask them not to play in their own accents.

I don't think it's reasonable to demand that art and politics stay pure of the other. In fact, all art is political, as Win might argue. If they fail to balance the two well, that's one thing, but there are plenty of people out there singing about umbrellas and disco sticks already. There's room for somebody to be a bit serious too, and I don't think there's any embarrassment in at least having the guts to try it.

You make a very valid case. I mean, trust me, I don't mind getting political.. I just don't like when it skews the music in anyway, and I felt like they rely a lot on their political image to seem like impassioned rock stars (the same way Coldplay did with Viva la Bullshit or green day or U2 etc etc... But then again I listen to Radiohead and very many people make the same argument against them. I guess I just think Radiohead does a much better job at seeming genuine with their political angst.) At the same time I don't really listen to or know enough about Arcade Fire to make too valid of an argument, this is just the impression I get from listening to them/watching them/hearing people talk about them. Their songs are well-written and are by no means bad, I just feel like they aren't really pushing the boundaries of what music can be/how we can interact with it, nor is their music very original - and for these reasons I think they are very overrated.

Natelevmofuggaz
02-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Yeah, the extreme alternative to bandwagoning - "I am too cool to enjoy something if other people like it too" - is surely far worse.

This is very true. I feel like a lot of people in our generation or at least in the "hipster" crowd fall victim to this mindset.

Although... I totally liked Animal Collective in like 2006 and now they're like totally not cool because they're like way up on the Coachella line-up and Coachella is really popular so that's not really cool either. Neither is witch-house or chill-wave or surf-dick or whatever stupid fucking genre that is emerging. It's all hella burnt.. I'm going to go find something obscure and different so that I'll be the most original and my life will have meaning again like it did when I was young and too naive to get involved with all of these stupid fucking trends in social behavior <--- No. Get this shit off of this planet please.

MissingPerson
02-04-2011, 05:24 PM
At the same time I don't really listen to or know enough about Arcade Fire to make too valid of an argument, this is just the impression I get from listening to them/watching them/hearing people talk about them. Their songs are well-written and are by no means bad, I just feel like they aren't really pushing the boundaries of what music can be/how we can interact with it, nor is their music very original - and for these reasons I think they are very overrated.

Can't argue with that.

Arcade Fire's politics ring a bit more true for me, even in part just they're a bit more complex. I don't think anybody would describe Win Butler as a relentless optimist by any stretch of the imagination, but he's certainly not an easy cynic either.

That's all separate to whether they're overrated though. That's subjective, and indeed always shifting, stuff.

Bons222000
02-04-2011, 05:34 PM

I love Arcade Fire, but you cannot compare them to Floyd, not even in sound. They are a little closer to Roger's solo stuff but still not that close. Floyd was way more experimental than AF. Also, Floyd has what 12 albums? They drastically changed their sound from album-to-album, so which Floyd are you talking about exactly?

I think it's best for all of us if we do not compare AF to Pink Floyd because they just cannot possibly measure up. AF are cool in their own way and are great live, but come on it's Pink Fucking Floyd.

On an unrelated note to that, most good art should be reflexive of the times, and it's hard to do that without having political undertones. I do not like it when bands are like "I do not want to be an American idiot" and are completely inpoetic about it, but having political themes in your music is not a bad thing. It's better than "ohhhhh your sex is on fire".

Harrisment
02-04-2011, 05:42 PM

Arlington is a shit hole, go fuck yourself.

nathanfairchild
02-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Arlington is a shit hole, go fuck yourself.

uhhh, I'd like to throw Waco in the running for worst city in Texas.

MissingPerson
02-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Specifically, they come from The Woodlands planned community, which they described as "Kind of like growing up in a sci fi film. Everything is run by The Woodlands' Corporation".

That's all I've got to offer re: Texas. Carry on.

rskapcat
02-04-2011, 05:55 PM
The Woodlands is a lovely area. Used to go to a waterpark near there when I was growing up.

nathanfairchild
02-04-2011, 06:04 PM
The Woodlands gets lots of great concerts too, I'd go to more there if it weren't so far from me.

citizenerased
02-04-2011, 06:17 PM
why'd you put a penis in the thread title?

PrettyRagdoll
02-04-2011, 06:24 PM
@PrettyRagdoll, I think those are good songs. However, people LOVE Arcade Fire. I like them. Think they are good. Just not LOVE them. It's hard for me to see why they are so huge, why they are headlining.

Alright never mind then :thu I don't care if you live and die by Arcade Fire, liking them is enough. lol

thefrush
02-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Arcade Fire has really grown on me since the poster came out. I'm excited for the power their set will bring on Saturday night.

Harrisment
02-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Specifically, they come from The Woodlands planned community, which they described as "Kind of like growing up in a sci fi film. Everything is run by The Woodlands' Corporation".

That's all I've got to offer re: Texas. Carry on.

Yeah The Woodlands is just like any other big suburb. I've never found anything especially creepy about it. A lot of soccer moms and chain restaurants. As other mentioned, the Woodlands Pavilion is there which is the best outdoor venue we have in the Houston area.

cman1098
02-05-2011, 02:28 PM
I didn't get Arcade Fire either, or the hype surrounding them. I've taken a deeper look at their newest album. Sprawl (Flatland) connects with me on so many levels. And Modern Man aswell. I just get this feeling that the Suburbs is all about how life has changed, and people have become so introverted and don't even realize. Life is all about the connections we share with people, but instead life is just passing us by. Thats just my two cents. Right now I'd say I still fall under the category of "not getting" Arcade Fire but by the time the fest roles around I have a sneaking suspicion that I will be a huge fan.

Brentw0
02-05-2011, 03:53 PM
y-5XK-2Ufd4

This!