PDA

View Full Version : Who's excited to have Gogol Bordello back?

Jankypirate
02-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Was anyone in the pits in 2008? One of the funnest moments of the weekend, up there with peaking on e for portishead. We all spontaneously linked arms and danced around in a circle and then I somehow ended up swing dancing with some girl in the middle lol.

Been missing them for the last 2 years! Welcome back!

You guys that dont like gogol, relax and get drunk before they come on.
No theyre not groundbreaking amazing musicians but they are fun as hell. And thats what its all about isnt it?

gimmenow
02-03-2011, 08:37 AM
eh.

higgybaby23
02-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Although this thread is doomed, I too share your enthusiasm.

Stickjohn
02-03-2011, 08:45 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTP_GplcaPBOR_giKXGL057rlno7NX52 RwiWpInUbdvkTQgJ0qq

elChurro
02-03-2011, 09:50 AM
The new perry/beck. ugh.

higgybaby23
02-03-2011, 09:58 AM
This will be my sixth consecutive year at Coachella and Beck has not been there once during this time. So....

GuyInTucson
02-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Wasn't Beck's last appearance in 2002 when he came out as a surprise guest during Z-Trip's set?

rage patton
02-03-2011, 10:04 AM
I love Gogol Bordello. Their set closing the mojave in 2007 is still the best show I have seen in my entire life. Since then... I have seen them 11 times. I still really want to see Gogol Bordello really badly at Coachella... but if they conflict with some of the other must see acts for me (Bright Eyes, Animal Collective, Arcade Fire) I think I would have to skip them...

digitaldragon03
02-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Yes. Especially on the weak Saturday.

heyeric
02-03-2011, 10:31 AM
eugene and his bottle of wine in 2005 :thu

algunz
02-03-2011, 10:33 AM
hand up

They have been so much fun in the past. They are one of those bands that is consistently soooo dynamic on stage. ANd they got props and groupies that are full participators. :thu

TomServo
02-03-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm a little bored of Gogol Bordello, since they seem to show up at nearly every festival I go to... but they still bring a lot of enthusiasm and some raucous fun to the afternoon. In the midst of a bunch of 22 year old indie bands and mid-range DJs, that has a lot of value.

I'll watch 'em. Again. I would have preferred Balkan Beat Box, though.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
02-03-2011, 10:36 AM
I always enjoy some Gogol Bordello.

paulb
02-03-2011, 02:23 PM
I love Gogol Bordello! Cant wait for this set!! Hopefully they are in a tent and it doesnt conflict with Arcade Fire...this will be my 10th time seeing them i think...

Rachelll0ve
02-03-2011, 02:34 PM
I wandered into Gogol Bordello's set at Lollapalooza 2008 and this year I am so so so excited to bring all my new friends from LA to their set!!! **Hoping for NO CONFLICTS**

higgybaby23
02-03-2011, 02:41 PM
I love Gogol Bordello! Cant wait for this set!! Hopefully they are in a tent and it doesnt conflict with Arcade Fire...this will be my 10th time seeing them i think...

It will be my tenth time too!

*high five*

mikebspeedracer
02-03-2011, 02:47 PM
me me me me me me!!!!

brycerosen
02-03-2011, 02:51 PM
! ! ! ! ! ! !

bottomfeeder
02-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Wasn't Beck's last appearance in 2002 when he came out as a surprise guest during Z-Trip's set?

2004 was his last appearance. They put him in the Gobi mid-afternoon when it was hot as shit and it quickly overflowed. He walked past me after the show and his face was beet red. Before that you could have called him a "regular," but as far as I know he has not been back since.

Saturday is already saturated for me, so it's doubtful I will see Gogol (again).

Necie
02-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Oh I'll be fuckin wearing Purple!!

Gogol is one of the absolute highlights of this line up for me since I LURVE THEM SO MUCH!

I've only seen them three times but FUCKIN-A they rocked every single time.

So yeah, we'll be there!!

Weatherman
02-03-2011, 04:36 PM
2004 was his last appearance. They put him in the Gobi mid-afternoon when it was hot as shit and it quickly overflowed. He walked past me after the show and his face was beet red. Before that you could have called him a "regular," but as far as I know he has not been back since.

Saturday is already saturated for me, so it's doubtful I will see Gogol (again).

goddamn the crowd overflowing that tent was huge at the time. it took me a while just to walk around it

mikecc
02-03-2011, 10:51 PM
ya i was in the pits '08 for gogol....was awesome!!! will definitely see them again this year

Memorial_07
02-04-2011, 05:50 AM
A friend of mine who works for a radio station in Santa Cruz once interviewed Eugene about their appearance at Coachella in '08 and he said that they would never play it again because of the cost for the festival and how mainstream it is. Looks like he's recanting that now.

But I'm fucking stoked for them. I saw them in '07 during Bjork and that was the best choice I've made. That tent was going apeshit and the pits in '08 were awesome too!
I can't wait to see what stage they play this year and at what time

Trailmix
02-04-2011, 06:01 AM
I for one am not at all interested. Hoping for someone I want to see to be playing at the same time so it is less crowded.

sandra85
02-04-2011, 09:46 PM
I look forward to it. Their set is just as fun to watch as it is to watch the fans having a great time :)

rage patton
02-04-2011, 10:50 PM
What do people think... outdoor theatre or mojave?

Not want. What do you guys think is most realistic and why do you think it is the most realistic situation for them. I want to know your thoughts.

Aales
02-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Hell yeah/Ive only seen um twice before once at coachella and once at the LA weekly festival/I was wasted both times looking forward to seeing GB sober!

Jankypirate
02-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Well last time they were there they had an early set on the main stage. I think that suits them well. They definitely need to be outdoors though. I dont know why, maybe just because every time Ive seen them was on an outdoor stage.

Mucho Maas
02-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Not want. What do you guys think is most realistic and why do you think it is the most realistic situation for them. I want to know your thoughts.

outdoor. more space. i think it will be crowded.
the "makes sense" scenario in my mind: gogol > broken social > the kills
...with broken social being in the sunset slot.

bluemamba
02-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Was anyone in the pits in 2008? One of the funnest moments of the weekend. We all spontaneously linked arms and danced around in a circle and then I somehow ended up swing dancing with some girl in the middle lol.

Lol Some of the best moments of that weekend. I too was in the pit and linked in arms with everybody dancing. So much fun. Cant wait to see them and Flogging Molly. I hope they place them in the Main Stage again or the Outdoor. The tents can get pretty damn hot during the day.

bluemamba
02-05-2011, 09:52 AM

I don't see why they couldnt do the Main Stage again. It worked out great in 2008. It was a great daytime act to get the crowd going.

jamesc2929
02-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Do they live in Indio? They seem to be there every year.

vdubshani
02-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Super stoked!!! Saw 'em in 08 and then at the el cortez rock the block here in vegas so this'll be my 3rd show and I'm not tired of them yet...I don't car how played out it is, I will be wearing purple!! They have soooooo much energy and good vibes that it can't help but be contagious...

nando44
02-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I am stoked as well. Can't be wrong with some gogol in any festival. Even if you dont like it, its one the best talents on the bill. Check them out. You will enjoy yourself.

MagneticField
02-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Never heard any of their albums but you guys have convinced me to check out their set.

nando44
02-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Check out their albums. They are fun live.

rage patton
02-06-2011, 11:46 PM
I don't see why they couldnt do the Main Stage again. It worked out great in 2008. It was a great daytime act to get the crowd going.

Wrong. Mainstage was ok. The mojave set in 2007 was the best show of my entire life.

grenade
02-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Yes. Especially on the weak Saturday.

Agree, will most likely check them out

M Sparks
02-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Wrong. Mainstage was ok. The mojave set in 2007 was the best show of my entire life.

Yup. I've seen them 4 times, and Mainstage 2008 was probably my least favorite. Mojave 2007 was mindblowing. (But, of course, it was the first.)

bluemamba
02-07-2011, 12:18 AM

Perhaps but the Gogol at the Mojave this year sounds like it would be too crowded.

TomAz
02-07-2011, 07:31 AM
I like GB a lot, and will see them this year barring extreme conflicts. (Saturday is ridiculously crowded for me).

I found Trans-Continental Hustle to be a bit of a disappointment after the previous two albums, though. It's like Eugene tried to make "serious" topical songs rather than the crazy goofy shit from before. Which I guess is an understandable thing to attempt, but I am not sure it worked real well.

sometimes though Eugene reminds me a little bit of Yakov Smirnoff. this is not good.

higgybaby23
02-07-2011, 07:55 AM
It's like Eugene tried to make "serious" topical songs rather than the crazy goofy shit from before.

I think this is something that Eugene and the band are going to have to deal with for some time. It is somewhat incongruent to portray one's self as both the crazy Ukranian non-stop party guy and the serious political activist, although the two don't have to be exclusive. So far I feel he has done a decent job of balancing both sides of the band.

TomAz
02-07-2011, 08:03 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_p26mojJcDmY/R1FqDvrlsFI/AAAAAAAAAf4/sq0ej4-tSPI/s1600-R/phil_collins_-_but_seriously_-_front__%5Bcovertarget_com%5D.jpg

nathanfairchild
02-07-2011, 08:07 AM
I saw them at last years lollapalooza, having no prior knowledge of them, and I had an absolute blast during their set. I'll definitely be checking out their set this year.

rage patton
02-07-2011, 10:21 AM
I like GB a lot, and will see them this year barring extreme conflicts. (Saturday is ridiculously crowded for me).

I found Trans-Continental Hustle to be a bit of a disappointment after the previous two albums, though. It's like Eugene tried to make "serious" topical songs rather than the crazy goofy shit from before. Which I guess is an understandable thing to attempt, but I am not sure it worked real well.

I pretty much agree with this Tom. I think I big reason for this is that Eugene Hutz moved to Brazil. Let me explain. On Gypsy Punks, Eugene was singing about his life where he went from living in the Ukraine, to traelling with the Roma gypsies to living in New York City. He was confused by American Culture and, to make a long story short, creating Gogol Bordello was his way to cope. Gypsy Punks is about how struggle with American culture and how he learned to conquer it and it was his proclomation of a "cultural revolution." The messages he sings about on this album are definately very serious and close to his heart, but Eugene manages to keep it goofy and lighthearted at the same time.

On Super Taranta, Eugene seemed to be completed jaded by american culture and wanted to have nothing to do with it. If Gypsy Punks was a party, Super Taranta was a lament. The songs were definately still serious and goofy at the same time... but I don't think they were balanced very well. Some of the songs come off a bit too heavy handed for my liking.

After the Super Taranta touring, Eugene Hutz moved to Brazil. He loved Brazillian culture and he grew a strong affection towards Samba music. This is all quite clear on Trans-Continental Hustle. On this album, Eugene just sounds confused. He is a Ukranian, who travelled with the Rom gypsies, who moved to New York, who hated american culture, who, as a result, moved to Brazil and loved the culture. No wonder the dude is confused.

Plus Rick Rubin produced it. I put part of the blame on him.

higgybaby23
02-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Wow. I thought this thread would be devoured in post after post of flames. But, it seems like we might have started an actual intelligent conversation.

Eugene is definitely a critic of American culture, but he is also a product of it. He has mentioned his love of Amercan popular culture and American music culture in numerous interviews. Western punk and no-wave were crucial to his musical foundation. I think like much of the world outside the US, he celebrates the art and innovations of America but resents our government.

I hadn't realized Eugene officially moved to Brazil. When did this happen?

rage patton
02-07-2011, 01:36 PM
I 100% agree with you in that while Eugene Hutz is at odds with American culture in general, he is fascinated with American pop culture and doesn't deny he is a product of it. That is what made his struggle on Gypsy Punks sound so vital and real, yet at the same time goofy and light hearted.

Eugene moved to Brazil during a break on the Super Taranta tour. he had visited before and loved it. He wrote almost all of Trans-Continental Hustle while living in Sau Paulo.

Also, just as an aside, I wrote a paper last semester about Eugene Hutz as a diasporic subject and I did really well on the paper. If anyone is interested in reading it. I can send it to them.

humanoid
02-07-2011, 01:44 PM

Mainstage was definitely still fun, but '07 was absolutely amazing

autopsy turvey
02-16-2011, 11:19 AM
I say two tears in a bucket, Motherfuck it!

I've only seen them in small clubs and each time I danced like a maniac until I puked. 2010 was my first Coachella, so I can't wait to see them on the polo fields with all you crazy bastards.

Necie
04-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Oh lord!! I just had the heart attack of a life time! On GB's facebook page, they said they're canceling the next (and last) 4 american tour dates..luckily for us they meant the ones that come after coachella...WHEW!!!! So excited to see them!!

bluemamba
04-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Could that be the reason the set times are taking so long?? omgz!!

chrismowgli
04-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Wish they got night time

motionnn77
04-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Never seen them, I will be there. Exited.

gaypalmsprings
04-13-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm proposing to Rage onstage.