PDA

View Full Version : My complexed and makes no sense conflicts points system

Milky
02-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Now this is basically my version of rock, papers, scissors or flipping a coin. In the past if I haven't been able to choose between a clash at a festival I have used this little point system to help me. It hasn't failed me before, but it probably needs some work, especially when it comes to Clashella.

Seen live before – 0
Seen live and were good – 1
Seen live and were amazing – 2
Seen live and it was the best experience of your life - 3

You’ve never seen them live and you never want to – 0
You’ve never seen them live and you would if there wasn’t a clash – 1
You’ve never seen them live and you’d like to, in fact you’d find them hard to miss – 3
You’ve never seen them live and you’d kill yourself if you missed them – 5

You would call them one of your most hated bands – 0
You don’t hate them, but don’t have much interest in them either – 1
You like them, but love is perhaps a bit strong – 3
You do love this band, but they don’t reach the heights of your favourites - 4
You would call them one of your favourites bands – 5

Assign 1 point for each album you can tolerate.
Assign 2 points for each album of theirs you love.
Assign 3 points for each album of theirs you have in high rotation.

Now the points probably need a little work. I tried it out on the possible Kanye/National/DFA79 clash, and it told me to see the National... who I have seen before (I haven't seen the other 2). Here is what it gave me...

The National – 18 points
Seen live and were amazing.
I do love this band…
3 albums I love.
2 in high ratio.

Kanye West – 17 points
Never seen live and I’d kill myself if I missed him.
I do love Kante...
2 albums I love.
1 I can tolerate.
1 in high ratio.

Death from Above 1979 – 14 points
Never seen live and I’d kill myself I missed them.
I do love this band…
1 album I love
1 album in high ratio

I think it needs to have a level playing field in terms of albums, maybe take off the same amount as points as albums. But that would put The National and DFA79 on the same points... not really solving anybodies conflict woos.

Anyway, feel free to bag this out or whatever. It is just something that has worked for me and might work for you. Also feel free to offer up any advice on points etc.

Phantasma Del Mar
02-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Just watch who you feel like watching. Fuck.

Milky
02-03-2011, 12:16 AM
Just watch who you feel like watching. Fuck.I don't wannaaaaaaaaa.

Dude, surely you've been hit with conflicts at a festival?

LickTheLizzard
02-03-2011, 12:16 AM
I don't know how effective this would be.... but +1 for creativity and effort. I like where you are going with this, and if nothing else, it will be interesting to see how the acts I want to see match up with one another

Radiohead
02-03-2011, 01:12 AM
So if Kanye and DFA are in direct conflict, does that mean you're going to kill yourself?

Also, the tie-breaker should be which act is likely to attract the hottest chicks.

Bumblebee
02-03-2011, 06:38 AM
What's funny is that there is festivals in the past where I'm still not sure if I made the correct decisions even with the benefit of hindsight and youtube clips.

Mugwog
02-08-2011, 03:11 PM
So if Kanye and DFA are in direct conflict, does that mean you're going to kill yourself?

Also, the tie-breaker should be which act is likely to attract the hottest chicks.

Both artist mentioned have equal ratio of idiotic women who will make you want to shoot your brains out once they begin to speak.

JUST A WARNING

and Ladies; well just beware of any guy you talk to at Coachella. They don't really want anything but a pink snuggie for their penis to camp in for the night.

ghettosteez
02-08-2011, 07:20 PM
THE WORLD IS GOVERNED BY A HIGHER ORDER AND THESE POINT VALUES ARE THE RESULT OF AN ALGORITHM THAT WILL ULTIMATELY AND OBJECTIVELY REFLECT THE MEASURE OF CONFLICT AT COACHELLA.

seriously why the fuck did you create a point system.

Coach Bombay
02-14-2011, 06:10 PM
I like the effort!

I sometimes take into consideration where and when I think is the next plausible time I'll be able to see said artist if I were to miss them.

calnick0
02-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Assign 1 point for each album you can tolerate.
Assign 2 points for each album of theirs you love.
Assign 3 points for each album of theirs you have in high rotation.

I think it could work better if you did an average for the albums.

psycobetabuckdown
02-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Pretty cool. No way would I use it, but it can be referred to if there is ever a dead-heat conflict, which truly is pretty rare. If you do your research you should know which bands you like better than which other bands.

chopperdave934
02-15-2011, 08:44 PM
I think it could work better if you did an average for the albums.

Ya that was my biggest problem with this system also. PJ having 8 albums I really like still wouldn't trump the one DFA album I really love.