PDA

View Full Version : Dear Golden Voice, re the Chemical Brothers

StarGuitar
02-02-2011, 11:39 PM
First, thanks for consistently putting on an event that makes my year. I adore it. Here's an obvious point I wanted to mention for you. If it turns out that the Chems are playing the Sahara at the same time as the Kings of Leon are playing the main stage, then it's guaranteed to be mayhem in the tent, given the number of people who will opt for the Chems over KoL. I definitely don't want suggest how to do your job, particularly since you never fail to disappoint, but I just wanted to state the obvious. It will be crazy (and perhaps dangerous) if the Chems are in the Sahara and the main stage doesn't draw enough people.

LickTheLizzard
02-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Next time write a letter.

sleepybrew
02-02-2011, 11:46 PM
First, thanks for consistently putting on an event that makes my year. I adore it. Here's an obvious point I wanted to mention for you. If it turns out that the Chems are playing the Sahara at the same time as the Kings of Leon are playing the main stage, then it's guaranteed to be mayhem in the tent, given the number of people who will opt for the Chems over KoL. I definitely don't want suggest how to do your job, particularly since you never fail to disappoint, but I just wanted to state the obvious. It will be crazy (and perhaps dangerous) if the Chems are in the Sahara and the main stage doesn't draw enough people.

Dangerous??

Clearly, you have been to at least one previous Coachella. When have you ever felt in danger in the Sahara? Or anywhere in Coachella? As much as KoL suck, they will have a very large crowd. Will the the Sahara crowd be more dangerous for the Chems than Madonna???? Or Daft Punk???

It'll be fine. And a blast. Don't fret. Just PLUR.

TallGuyCM
02-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I don't know man, I almost got poked in the eye with a glowstick during Orbital last year. Pretty dangerous bro.

StarGuitar
02-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Dangerous??

Clearly, you have been to at least one previous Coachella. When have you ever felt in danger in the Sahara? Or anywhere in Coachella? As much as KoL suck, they will have a very large crowd. Will the the Sahara crowd be more dangerous for the Chems than Madonna???? Or Daft Punk???

It'll be fine. And a blast. Don't fret. Just PLUR.

You're right -- I've never felt danger in the Sahara or anywhere else at Coachella (Well, there was that "wake up" scene in the campground in 2008 but that was more funny that freaky.) It's that well run and the vibe is always excellent. But you know the story this year. Nobody is going to KoL (well, that's certainly an overstatement but you get the point). And if the Chems go head to head with that, there will be A LOT of people in the Sahara. And yes, most of us will be happy but people get strange when they are packed in. Don't schedule the Chems against KoL.

StarGuitar
02-02-2011, 11:55 PM
I don't know man, I almost got poked in the eye with a glowstick during Orbital last year. Pretty dangerous bro.

Yeah, and I almost got popped with a vicks inhaler during Benassi. : )

TallGuyCM
02-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Dear GV,

Please do the exact opposite of what StarGuitar requests between now and April.

Sincerely,

TallGuyCM

mattpach
02-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Dear GV,

Sincerely,

TallGuyCM

Dear GV,
This.

Thanks,
Matty

StarGuitar
02-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Dear GV,

Sincerely,

TallGuyCM

Why?

sleepybrew
02-02-2011, 11:57 PM

I know! What was with all that? It was like an eruption of glowsticks during Orbital. Like a Glorbital or something :)

I want to go back. I'm now looking up videos from that.

LickTheLizzard
02-03-2011, 12:02 AM
You have to remember that the boards represent a very small percentage of the total Coachella attendance. There will be people at KoL, a lot of people.

StarGuitar
02-03-2011, 12:07 AM
You have to remember that the boards represent a very small percentage of the total Coachella attendance. There will be people at KoL, a lot of people.

I suppose you're right. I just keep thinking about that nonsense from last year's EDC. And that stupidity at MIA's set in 2008, but that was probably more about the artist than the overcrowding.

PapaDill
02-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Dangerous??
Will the the Sahara crowd be more dangerous for the Chems than Madonna???? Or Daft Punk???

we decided to go and check Madonna out because it was early in the evening... never been surrounded by such assholes. none of the Madonna fans had any concert etiquette... stubborn assholes looked at us like we were being jerks when we inadvertently rubbed up against them when it got crowded.
needless to say we left after Madonna had some guy adjust the levels on her own amp to produce feedback while she pretended to play guitar...so not punk rock

Sparty
02-03-2011, 12:50 AM

QFT

Most all of my friends at uni going to coachella are excited as hell about KOL.

snuker
02-03-2011, 12:53 AM
QFT

Most all of my friends at uni going to coachella are excited as hell about KOL.

do yourself a favor and get some new friends

discobotica
02-03-2011, 12:57 AM
I just keep thinking about that nonsense from last year's EDC.

please don't compare Coachella to EDC...........90,000 ravers are not 50,000 eclectic music fans, a huge football stadium is not a huge polo field, Insomniac is not Goldenvoice

just stop. let this information sink into your system. *DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BREATH* and say this with me:

Everything is going to be okay.

:winkiss

Edit: I should be a Lamaze Instructor

darkmoon66
02-03-2011, 01:14 AM
Please schedule The Chemical Brothers at the same time as Kings of Leon, I'd like to avoid a Chemical Brothers vs Black Keys conflict.

StarGuitar
02-03-2011, 01:22 AM
do yourself a favor and get some new friends

There's no reason to be an a** about the music other people are into. Whatever moves you, moves you.

StarGuitar
02-03-2011, 01:47 AM
please don't compare Coachella to EDC...........90,000 ravers are not 50,000 eclectic music fans, a huge football stadium is not a huge polo field, Insomniac is not Goldenvoice

just stop. let this information sink into your system. *DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BREATH* and say this with me:

Everything is going to be okay.

:winkiss

Edit: I should be a Lamaze Instructor

Yeah, there are differences between the two for sure, but recall the scene from last year. The massive crowds made the scene un-Coachella like like at certain times. I'm just hoping that that doesn't get repeated this year, particularly in the Sahara.

But, yeah, I probably should relax. You know what would really take the edge off? If the Chems were to headline on Friday. But that's asking for too much.

gooftroop
02-03-2011, 02:18 AM
Nothing will ever compare to Madonna in 2006. I think we'll survive either way and I'd be down for a KOL conflict. Great thing about the Sahara is you don't need to be near the front at all to enjoy the show compared to the other stages and tents.

Dede' Arneaux
02-03-2011, 03:01 AM

Exactly! just like in 2009 when The Killers headlined the main stage, it'll be packed.

beeerplease
02-03-2011, 03:04 AM
I'm all for a direct confliction.

malcolmjamalawesome
02-03-2011, 05:52 AM
You are an asshole if you think there will be more people in the tent for Chem Bros than at the mainstage for KoL

TheWatcher
02-03-2011, 06:31 AM
You are an asshole if you think there will be more people in the tent for Chem Bros than at the mainstage for KoL

It also might be faith in one's fellow concert goer, however misplaced it might be.

GaragePoet
02-03-2011, 07:06 AM
When have you ever felt in danger in the Sahara? Or anywhere in Coachella?

Björk, main stage, 2002. seriously...

that, and Rage in '99 w/ banners aflame & police helicopters overhead, but i blame the LSD for making that situation scarier than it really was...

GaragePoet
02-03-2011, 07:07 AM

i'm such an asshole