PDA

View Full Version : Do performers come out after their sets and greet with fans?

eviality
03-07-2007, 04:00 PM
As a first time attendee this year, I was just wondering if you all have ever had a performer come out after their set and greet the fans and sign autographs? If so, who would you say is likely on this year's lineup to do this? In addition, have you ever seen a performer at another performer's set? Is this likely?

Thanks,
eviality

meyouseek
03-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Some artists have scheduled signings at the Virgin Megastore tent.

If artists are in the crowd they might not want to be bothered. That asshole Flea gave my girfriend shit when she wanted to take a picture in the VIP last year.

ToddThaGod
03-07-2007, 06:47 PM
flea's grimey as hell. did you have to wash it several times to get the smell out?

AEversW
03-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Buck 65 did in 2005...we talked baseball because he was drafted by the Yankees out of JuCo

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b246/AEversW/Coachella%202005/buck.jpg

Alchemy
03-07-2007, 07:45 PM
I think I saw Sherri DuPree (Eisley) out and about in 2005. In fact, I think I was standing right by her during Secret Machines.

That, or her doppleganger.

C DUB YA
03-07-2007, 09:29 PM
I've found that MOST artists would rather enjoy the fest as you do, and not be posing for pictures every 5 secs, because if one does it, they there is a feeding frenzy that occurs.

Here's my first hand account of good and bad artists "greeting" fans at Coachella through the years, both in vip and out on the grounds (the virgin tent does not count).

THE GOOD:

Tommy Lee - yes that Tommy lee, many remember him riding his Segway around, but he stopped many times and posed for tons of pictures and was super nice to both ladies and gents. (VIP and grounds)

Stuart from B & S, was nice to everyone, he peaked his head out of the fence about 20 mintues before they went on in 2002, signed afew records and chatted with a gourp of kids for about 10 minutes, then rushed up on stage and started the show. (VIP and grounds)

Tim from Charlatans, he and girlfriend/wife were very pleasant to fans in VIP area, he did bolt once Oasis went on. (VIP)

Cornershop, the entire band was out early walking the ground they were all smiles. (VIP and grounds)

The Libertines - Carl mainly kept to himself, but Gary and Pete talked and joked with a ton of fans, got lemonade, signed fans stuff, had fans sign his shirt, asked who everyone was seeing, etc... very surprising (VIP and grounds)

Mani from Primal Scream - treated Coachella like one big party, he loves everyone.(VIP and grounds)

Kosheen - also nice to everyone (VIP and grounds)

Nick from Queens - surprisingly approachable in 2002, didn't mind signing and posing with fans (VIP and grounds)

Noel from Oasis - after he watched Cornershop, signed for fans at the fence and posed for fans in VIP, just a few as his security wisked him away after 2 pics (VIP and grounds)

THE BAD:

Bjork - capped the number of photographers in the photo pit, refused interviews, and was only really seen on stage, then wisked away

Morrissey - see above, but add helicopter, that was of course in 1999.

Rage Against the Machine - also in 1999 I saw someone ask Zack D for a picture and he said no, walking away he added, " there are far more interesting things you should be doing". I found it rude and weird? (VIP only)

Brian Jonestown Massacre - they watched a ton of bands in 1999, but told fans to "fuck off", if they tried to talk to them, (seen watching Pavement and Super Furry Animals, grounds)

Bobby from Primal Scream - ignored request for pictures and or autographs, Primal Scream then later ditched their signing tent appointment. (VIP)

Flea - rude to anyone he didn't know (VIP)

Liam from Oasis - he refused a few fans that braved asking while he watched Prodigy

Beta Band - ignored people that came up to them by saying they had to go, repeated times (grounds)

Blur - ran from trailer to stage then back to trailer, didn't stop when a fan approached Damon, he just gave her the "hand" (VIP)

Now I'm sure others have had or seen different things - this in no means is commentary on these artists' personally, I was just answering the post with a few first hand experiences.

fac429
03-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Last time Arcade Fire played I saw the red headed guitarist dude relaxing in one of the chill-out tents, and he seemed friendly as I said hello. Then my brother went to say hello as well (after I told him who he was) and he said he was trying to get some sleep. Can't really blame the guy for wanting to get some rest, but as arguably the most recognizable band member of one of that year's bigger bands, I'm not really sure one of the public tents was the best place to accomplish this.

Boourns
03-08-2007, 02:16 AM
Haha, I saw him in the VIP area and a half hour later ended up behind him at M83. Didn't say anything, though, because I probably creeped him, and the rest of the Arcade Fire, out enough when they played the Troubadour. They pulled up next to me in their van because they thought I worked there. Why else would somebody be doing that? Unless they were some groupie/stalker. And there I was talking to Win Butler and I didn't realize it was them for a few seconds. Wow, that was good times.

André
03-08-2007, 03:06 AM
Zack de la rocha is normaly very polite

C DUB YA
03-08-2007, 04:12 AM
Haha, now how did I know someone would come to Zack's aid on here, like I said people I wasn't commenting on them personally. I'm sure he's a great dude.

Continuing chilling Ragers.

C DUB YA
03-08-2007, 04:14 AM
Haha, now how did I know someone would come to Zack's aid on here, like I said people I wasn't commenting on them personally.
this in no means is commentary on these artists' personally, I was just answering the post with a few first hand experiences.

I'm sure he's a great dude.

Continuing chilling Ragers.

vinylmartyr
03-08-2007, 05:31 AM
I talked to Damon Albarn in 03 and he was super nice.

gaypalmsprings
03-08-2007, 05:42 AM
In case you were thinking of getting autographs, security does not allow paper nor Sharpey pens.

windscreen
03-08-2007, 06:44 AM
2 years ago after seeing Razorlights set and then headed over to the VIP area (I knew people I am nobody) and Johnny was in front of us to get a drink, my friend and I just said that we thought the set was great and we really enjoyed it...he smiled and said thanks and then left with the girl he was with....very nice guy.
Last year I was standing talking to Babydaddy from Scissor Sisters before their set and he would always break conversation to say hello and take a pic with a fan.

fasttrack
03-08-2007, 06:58 AM
at coachella in 2004 i saw geoff, tom and steve from the band thursday walking around. they've always been nice any other times i've seen them before or after shows so i had a nice little chat with them about the bands playing that day.

becomingcloser
03-08-2007, 07:41 AM
In case you were thinking of getting autographs, security does not allow paper nor Sharpey pens.

PAPER CUTZ > AIDZ NEEDLES

plz no one cut me with papers while i dancing so fast plz.

fober
03-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Immortal Technique joined the crowd after his performance.

A meet and greet of sorts.

I didn't stick around though, don't really care about the artists themselves. Just sing the damn songs and get off stage plzkthx.

algunz
03-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Most of the people I've encountered have been really cool - Beck, Jack Black, and a few others whom my husband recognized as members of bands but I'd have never known the difference. But, we just said hi and treated them like any other wandering person. Do you really gotta get the autograph or can you just enjoy the moment?

sddoctor
03-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Virgin has an autograph tent where about six bands come to sign each day at a specific time...I've never been but I walked by last year when Ladytron was there, and I think I saw the Donnas one time also. Sage Francis was walking around, shaking hands and watching Subtle a few years back. I remember seeing Tommy Lee being friendly with the crowd.

C DUB YA
03-08-2007, 10:03 AM
correct.

I did not include all the tent signers.

Boourns
03-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Ladytron signed last year? No way.

The only signing I cared enough to attend was the Dresden Dolls in 2005 and they were all sorts of wonderful.

Hoping for Jarvis and Blonde Redhead and CSS this year.

scottierock
03-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Maynard from Tool was walking around during Paul Oakenfold's set last year in the Sahara tent. It was strange, no one noticed him. He walked right in front of us and we didn't know what to say.

Havocquarm
03-08-2007, 01:36 PM
The only signing I cared enough to attend was the Dresden Dolls in 2005 and they were all sorts of wonderful.

Yea, the Dresden Dolls were really awesome when I met them during their tour with NIN at the Austin date. Trent was doing his last song, so I headed over to a tent where they were about to start signing. I got there a few minutes before anyone else and chatted with them about the show and the tour. Both of them were really cool.

AEversW
03-08-2007, 02:36 PM
slug was walking around during Brother Ali's set last year too. He also signed at the Virgin tent and he was very nice. He talked to me and my friend for a few minutes while he signed other people stuff. He actaully recognized us from a few other shows cuz he would come talk to the crowd that would hang around after the show. Very nice guy...just dont ask him about the Lucy Ford EP's haha

infect ME
03-08-2007, 03:16 PM
In 2005, during the second day I was stoned eating a pizza at an empty table. Sage Francis sat down at the same table and we proceeded to have a conversation. He's a chill guy. Very polite. Haha he complained about the price of the food.

SubBass49
03-09-2007, 04:46 AM
Sage is cool as hell. We saw MURS last year buying a churro with his lady-friend. People were going up to him and taking pictures, and he was very cool with all of them.

psychic friend
03-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Bobby from Primal Scream - ignored request for pictures and or autographs, Primal Scream then later ditched their signing tent appointment. (VIP)

when they went off stage, i had a hand full of thier cd covers and followed/begged bobby to please please please just sign one for me. He reluctantly signed my Screamadelica cd.

psychic friend
03-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Blur - ran from trailer to stage then back to trailer, didn't stop when a fan approached Damon, he just gave her the "hand" (VIP)

I ran into Damon and walked over to him and just touched him. Later I ran into him again and he touched me back. LOL (that was weird)

DeltaSigChi4
03-09-2007, 08:16 AM
You are weird, Psychic Girl.

E

momof5
03-09-2007, 11:44 AM
I was given a band pin by Pete Dougherty of the Libertines after my daughter said that I loved the Libertines(he was just roaming about late at night on the field). w We saw the entire group of kids from Eisley at the Outdoor theatre before we knew they were a band .My kids remarked about what a cool family they were and next day they were on stage. And the guys from Kinky were catching other acts too. So some people just want to enjoy the festival too.

C DUB YA
03-09-2007, 11:56 AM
when they went off stage, i had a hand full of thier cd covers and followed/begged bobby to please please please just sign one for me. He reluctantly signed my Screamadelica cd.

Hey at least he signed one for you, good stuff.

Boourns
03-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Emily Haines gave me a blowjob in thanks of my continued support.

Boourns
03-10-2007, 12:13 PM
I was given a band pin by Pete Dougherty of the Libertines after my daughter said that I loved the Libertines(he was just roaming about late at night on the field). w We saw the entire group of kids from Eisley at the Outdoor theatre before we knew they were a band .My kids remarked about what a cool family they were and next day they were on stage. And the guys from Kinky were catching other acts too. So some people just want to enjoy the festival too.

I met two of the girls and one of the guys from Eisley at the Troubadour. Good kids. And that one girl is finally legal now. Heh heh, alllllriiiiiight

FiglioPerduto
03-10-2007, 08:48 PM
PAPER CUTZ > AIDZ NEEDLES

plz no one cut me with papers while i dancing so fast plz.

ahahaha!!

this made my day. or night. whatever it made it.

bballarl
03-10-2007, 10:02 PM
I took a picture with Murs when he came out after his set last year. I was waiting to get up in front for Amadou & Mariam after watching him. He was really nice.

Flea walked by me with a trumpet while wearing one of those stereotypical rice-picker hats in 04. It was before the Evens. He ended up on stage, playing trumpet.

Nick Zinner walked past in 05, and I debated bothering him but decided against it.

C DUB YA
03-11-2007, 05:00 PM
good call on not bothering the ever moody Zinner.

RecycleYourPets
03-11-2007, 06:17 PM
im pretty sure jim o'rourke was a person or two away from me while interpol was playing a couple years back. dont think anyone else recognized him.

Also the dude who played bass for m83 was in front of me for bloc party

yeah mine arent so exciting

Jakewc151
03-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Ladytron are actually quite nice. I got to meet them in a club in SF back in November.. Took a couple shots with them for about a half hour and practically sat on Mira's lap.. It was fun indeed.. hope shit like that happens at coachella.

becomingcloser
03-15-2007, 01:45 PM
ahahaha!!

this made my day. or night. whatever it made it.

glad to be of service.

MannyMacabre
03-27-2007, 07:45 AM
i know death cab for cutie said they would be walking around checkin out the bands...but i didn't get to see them.
altho i did see yohan (the drummer for the moving units) up and walking around in his striped sleve-less shirt. 04

JustSteve
03-27-2007, 09:27 AM
the best was in '04 when justin timberlake and cameron diaz were walking around and her bitchy friends would get in the way of anyone trying to take a photograph...not with the couple, but of them. my sis got a pic of the back of their heads backstage, though :rolleyes

i hang out in the artist trailor area from time to time during the day just because it's so relaxed and mellow, but i just watch...not the kinda place you want to bother the artists since it is their sanctuary away from the madness. now if i had been able to make it the year oasis played i would have been a fanboy for sure, though, back there.

MannyMacabre
03-27-2007, 10:04 AM
the best was in '04 when justin timberlake and cameron diaz were walking around and her bitchy friends would get in the way of anyone trying to take a photograph...not with the couple, but of them. my sis got a pic of the back of their heads backstage, though :rolleyes

i hang out in the artist trailor area from time to time during the day just because it's so relaxed and mellow, but i just watch...not the kinda place you want to bother the artists since it is their sanctuary away from the madness. now if i had been able to make it the year oasis played i would have been a fanboy for sure, though, back there.

i call your bluff sir.
what would jt. be doing at coachella...i wonder if he was there for radiohead. hah.
i want to see this picture of the back of their heads haha.

JustSteve
03-27-2007, 01:51 PM
okay, maybe it was in 2005. do a search on google and i'm sure you'll find some mention.

Meadowsmeister
03-28-2007, 07:41 AM
I got a picture with immortal technique AND Danny DeVito, IN THE SAME MOTHERFUCKING PICTURE BITCHES.

They were both rad.

SubBass49
03-28-2007, 05:37 PM
and where is this holy grail of concert pictures?

joebizz
04-01-2007, 10:23 AM
By chance I met Sage Francis. I walked out of the beer garden, and there he was. Went up to him, shook his hand and thanked him for his music. Nice enough guy.

McFearless
04-01-2007, 08:37 PM
When do they announce who is doing signing at the virgin tent?

C DUB YA
04-01-2007, 09:13 PM
not till the first day of the festival - usually

Boourns
04-02-2007, 01:51 AM
Actually, that info leaked a couple days early the last couple years.

Rage will be signing Sunday at 5pm.

superfiction
04-02-2007, 06:02 AM
Maynard from Tool was walking around during Paul Oakenfold's set last year in the Sahara tent. It was strange, no one noticed him. He walked right in front of us and we didn't know what to say.

dude i think i saw him during hybrids set. i wanted to ask but i didnt have the balls. at all. haha

MiamiNate
04-02-2007, 10:20 AM
i call your bluff sir.
what would jt. be doing at coachella...i wonder if he was there for radiohead. hah.
i want to see this picture of the back of their heads haha.

he and she were there in 05, I saw picktures in rolling stone.
the next year was my first year cause if it's good enough for justin, it's good enough for me.

McFearless
04-02-2007, 02:53 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the info! Thats the one I was hoping for!:poo

Boourns
04-02-2007, 09:16 PM
I know someone who met Cameron Diaz at Coachella in 2003. Guess she goes every year.

misculare
04-04-2007, 12:23 PM
I don't take a lot of pics, but I've been able to meet or say hello to a lot of the artists in the crowd or after a set. A few of my faves:

*Richie Hawtin - after his set - I was the very last person in line and I can't believe he stayed to see me out of the tent. Very cool!

*Ladytron - I accidentally tripped over Mira's foot and was surprised to see who it was when I caught myself - she was nice, though.

*Jack White - posing for photos - very gracious.

*ANYONE from Def Jux [RJD2, Aiesop Rock] - they hooked my friends up with tons of swag.

*Cee-Lo - after Gnarls Barkley show - I love him!

*Beck - haven't talked to him, but have turned around twice to see him dancing during the sets [Z-trip]. Giovanni Ribisi, too!

*Jack Black - dancing in the parking lot - didn't talk, just danced

SubBass49
04-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Nice on the Def Jux one...they seem like good people...

landa321
04-04-2007, 09:06 PM
if I was an artist at Coachella, I'd hope that people weren't bugging me every 5 minutes for a pic.
don't bug them while they are waching/listening to a band.

unless they're watching/listening to Lily Allen or Nicel Creek or something.

C DUB YA
04-04-2007, 09:17 PM

there is ALWAYS changes day of though, the leaked info was a wee bit off.

GTI_GRL
04-10-2007, 06:44 PM
I meet Lady Sovereign last year during either Commons or Kanye Wests set. She was really nice, signed the Urb mag she was on (free at Urb tent), and took a photo (didn't turn out well). I had a really had time trying to understand her when she was talking to me.... lol

awwsnappp
04-13-2007, 09:37 PM
no luck with performers, but i took a picture with none other than SOPHIA FREAKIN' COPPOLLA while we were waiting for Phoenix last year. later heard the singer was going to be her baby-daddy.

oh, Francis Ford was there too. my friend and I were frozen with delight.

my girlfriend saw the guy that won the first Project Runway. she loves that show