PDA

View Full Version : Amazing line up but...

im so indie
01-22-2007, 04:45 PM
There are some major acts I thought would show up that didn't. Namely:
Modest Mouse
The Shins
Bright Eyes
Sufjan Stevens
Liars
Clap Your Hands
The Thermals
Islands
Thom Yorke (thought it'd be great to hear the Eraser in the Sahara)

ttboy80
01-22-2007, 04:59 PM
yeah seriously... where is the portland love?

xbnmx
01-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Why the hell would you want a repeat of the Editors? They'd just play the same fucking songs again from their one album. And Thom Yorke in the Sahara? Jack said it best when you people want the dance tent to be a punch of tall guys with tucked in plaid shirts scratching their beards, crimeny.

RockStr4Life
01-22-2007, 05:01 PM
The Killers
Brand New
Portishead
TV On The Radio (yes they played 2006...so what)
A Silver Mt. Zion

idrive1life
01-22-2007, 05:02 PM
^ yeah!!!

medornage
01-22-2007, 05:06 PM
the strokes (didn't really expect it by any means, just still disappointed they haven't played in 5 years)
kind of surprised about albert hammond jr.

bmack86
01-22-2007, 05:08 PM
I am surprised that Modest Mouse and the Shins won't be there. More than a little strange, but there's still time for them to be added.

RockStr4Life
01-22-2007, 05:12 PM
yeah I would definetly add The Strokes, The Shins, and Modest Mouse to my list

RockStr4Life
01-22-2007, 05:12 PM
oh yeah...and Smashing Pumpkins

nahzt
01-22-2007, 05:17 PM
oh btw, am disappointed with TVOTR last year but am giving 'em second chance since their latest album sounds so good (yet again)

They only thing disapointing about the TVOTR set last year were all the cross armed hipsters standing there looking as if they would rather be eating a sh*t sandwich then to have to watch the band.

Dr. Odd Marvel
01-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Modest Mouse
The Shins
Bright Eyes
Sufjan Stevens
Liars
Clap Your Hands
The Thermals
Islands

Let us know when you find some real major acts to fill in..

ohxmyitstina
01-22-2007, 05:20 PM
yeah it was rumored smashing pumpkins were going to be there because they're expecting their reunion album release in march. it would have been amazing if they would have reunited on stage at coachella.

im satisfied with the line-up though :)

itsalltoomuch
01-22-2007, 05:22 PM
where is fatboy slim, underworld or daft punk? i am not complaining at all, i think the line up is the best yet! but one of these as a late add would be awesome!

Dr. Odd Marvel
01-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Yeah I'm cool w/ Fri. night

im so indie
01-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Yeah... i guess not "major" as far as top billing or anything...but important to me.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the Black Keys, Gogol Bordello and PB&J though!

im so indie
01-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Actually f that... the acts I listed are making the best and most important music in the world right now. They are definitely "real major acts"

sighlent
01-22-2007, 05:32 PM
i'd hardly say modest mouse is still making important music and isaac is a douchenozzle, he pulls madonna at coachella diva moves at small venues... fuck him.

the smashing pumpkins album will not be out in march and they are not ready to play

the killers could easily take the place of rhcp as crappy huge band that will distract much of the crowd from other bands playing at the same time.

Dr. Odd Marvel
01-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Actually f that... the acts I listed are making the best and most important music in the world right now. They are definitely "real major acts"

ahhh no!

Poopie McPooperson
01-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Bishop Allen
Man Man
Magnetic Fields
Joanna Newsome
Golden Dogs
Islands
Jonathan Richman (For an old school feel)

woogie846
01-22-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm suprised about:

The Hold Steady
Cold War Kids
Beirut
Band of Horses

But once again, they still are going to be adding names to the line up.

xbnmx
01-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Band of Horses said they couldn't make it.

toolisbomb
01-22-2007, 05:39 PM
ahhhh MUSE please, MUSE!!!

RockStr4Life
01-22-2007, 05:40 PM
So it's uncool to like the Killers now? Is it because they are popular? I really hate popular bands. :lool

RockStr4Life
01-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Oh man!!! MUSE!!! How could I have forgotten Muse?? They are popular too though so I don't know if it would go over too well because apparently popular bands aren't welcome at Coachella.

Sexecutioner
01-22-2007, 05:56 PM
amazing lineup but...

it would be better with the police!

and since we are bitching and moaning:

im a little dissapointed by how they are starting to recycle headliners so soon. chillis were great back in the day, but now they are a ballad band, and they just headlined 4 years ago. not that soon i guess, but still. would be nice to have some better, fresher headliners in place of them, like the police! :)

underworld
pearl jam
modest mouse
muse
the killers
portishead

would all be cool too.

The Nichole
01-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Bands i was hoping to play but aren't:
Modest Mouse
Trail of Dead
Shiny Toy Guns

and i hoped smashing pumpkins, but i knew it would be a long shot!

woogie846
01-22-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm suprised Shiny Toy Guns haven't been confirmed yet.

SometimesNJ
01-22-2007, 06:06 PM
i thought bright eyes had been "confirmed" early on

brightscreamer
01-22-2007, 06:11 PM
We need at least 10 of the following for Coachella to be the best of the eclectic music festivals:

400 Blows
The Shins
The Locust
Om
Ex Models
Deftones
Oneida
Wolf Eyes
Liars
Boris
TV on the Radio
Magik Markers
The Mars Volta
Animal Collective
Portishead
Anticon
Slayer
Antony and the Johnsons
The Stooges
Prince
Lightning Bolt
Sunn O)))
Jaga Jazzist
Mastodon
Serena Maneesh
Black Dice
Roxy Music
Scott Walker
Converge
The Knife

There is always too much crappy Brit-Pop and Indie Rock at Coachella...GV should pay attention more to the ATP Festival Line-Ups. A lot of these acts would be relatively cheap to book, too.

dizfactor
01-22-2007, 06:22 PM
chillis were great back in the day, but now they are a ballad band, and they just headlined 4 years ago. not that soon i guess, but still. would be nice to have some better, fresher headliners

I love how you say this, but then right afterwards suggest

underworld

Who were in the Sahara tent the very same night RHCP were headlining, and

muse
the killers

both of whom played the following year. :rotfl

Proadict
01-22-2007, 06:26 PM
yeaah waht happend to the killers, muse, modest mouse, the shins, jet, brand new and the mars volta

and maybe angels and airwaves or +44!

JZ117
01-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Anyone think the following have a shot at getting added??

The Knife
Tiga
Lindstrom
Booka Shade
Simian Mobile Disco
New Young Pony Club
The Presets
Van She
Linus Loves
Diplo
Cut Copy
M.I.A.
Aphex Twin
Morrissey
Justin Timberlake (a la Madonna's last-year set)
Jay-Z (a la Kanye's last-year set)

No point in reiterating the BOC, MBV, Portishead, etc., wishes I guess ...

Bornasghosts
01-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Violent Femmes Man
Tool
Ben Harper
Dresden Dolls

can't imagine a much better line-up though
Rage - Roots - Sonic Youth - i could list so many

MLieberman27
01-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Hold Steady. Hold Steady. Hold Steady.

Modest Mouse and Cold War Kids and Matt & Kim and Langhorne Slim would be nice too.

matsuolost
01-23-2007, 12:49 AM
i really really hoped sufjan the shins and beirut would be there

New_Paradigm
01-23-2007, 12:51 AM
Booka Shade
Hell yeah, I was hoping for Booka Shade for months! Also, Simian Mobile Disco would be insane...Actually I'm kind of surprised neither of the two have been announced to be honest. Maybe they'll get added?

drewoftherushes
01-23-2007, 01:31 AM
what a shitty thread. i guess it has to exist, but we have the best bands in the world sitting in our laps, and you guys are pissed because a few other very good bands aren't included (but might still be included)

sorry, this isn't a personal attack. but i think you'll all still cream your jeans at coachella, in spite of the absence of some awesome bands.

depechemodekraftwerk
01-23-2007, 02:56 AM
AMAZING LINEUP yur high

chunk
01-23-2007, 06:40 AM
So it's uncool to like the Killers now? Is it because they are popular? I really hate popular bands. :lool

im sure everybody you have ever spoken to has told you how bad they were since day one.

CurableOkie
01-23-2007, 06:45 AM
yeah seriously... where is the portland love?

Aren't the Decemberists from Portland?

im so indie
01-23-2007, 06:47 AM
yeah they are, he was referring to the shins, the thermals and a couple others from the area

Sexecutioner
01-23-2007, 08:41 AM
I love how you say this, but then right afterwards suggest

Who were in the Sahara tent the very same night RHCP were headlining, and

both of whom played the following year. :rotfl

i dont consider the bands i listed as headliners. there is 1 headliner each night, and they are on the main stage. headliners shouldnt be recycled that often imho, and the other bands are 2nd tier acts, which usually make appearances more often.

bradley
01-23-2007, 08:48 AM
the thermals won't be there, but they're touring the west coast in april anyways...

ModernManIsUltraQuick
01-23-2007, 08:51 AM
amazing lineup but...

it would be better with the police!

and since we are bitching and moaning:
"would be nice to have some better, fresher headliners in place of them, like the police! :)"

underworld
pearl jam
modest mouse
muse
the killers
portishead

would all be cool too.

What about fresh and new = the Police? I finished taking every breath in 1984!

Britt
01-23-2007, 08:58 AM

The Knife
Tiga
Lindstrom
Booka Shade
Simian Mobile Disco
New Young Pony Club
The Presets
Van She
Linus Loves
Diplo
Cut Copy
M.I.A.
Aphex Twin
Morrissey

No point in reiterating the BOC, MBV, Portishead, etc., wishes I guess ...

I'm seeing Timberlake as an addition, too, and I'd bet money that The Knife will get added.

chunk
01-23-2007, 09:21 AM
the thermals won't be there, but they're touring the west coast in april anyways...

link? i dont see them going past denver.

full on idle
01-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Why the hell ain't Incubus playing?

brienmizell
01-23-2007, 09:36 AM
The Knife
Tiga
Lindstrom
Booka Shade
Simian Mobile Disco
New Young Pony Club
The Presets
Van She
Linus Loves
Diplo
Cut Copy
M.I.A.
Aphex Twin
Morrissey

i would love to whom i made bold added! but none of the others on your list

Sexecutioner
01-23-2007, 11:12 AM
What about fresh and new = the Police? I finished taking every breath in 1984!

Well, fresh and new to me. I've never seen them live, since I was 7 in 1984. And I'm not that young, either. I'm sure there's a lot of other people who are in the same boat. People that always wish they could have seen them live, but were too young.

nahzt
01-23-2007, 11:14 AM
what a shitty thread. i guess it has to exist, but we have the best bands in the world sitting in our laps, and you guys are pissed because a few other very good bands aren't included (but might still be included)

sorry, this isn't a personal attack. but i think you'll all still cream your jeans at coachella, in spite of the absence of some awesome bands.

Yeah, I'm in agreement here. There are some real gems in this line up so far. (junior boys, hot chip, and sparklehorse are a few "smaller tier" bands that I'm juiced about) As in years past there are a ton of bands that I have never heard of. What I enjoy doing is exploring some of the acts that I havn't heard anything about and figuring out if they would be something I'd like to see. I think you guys would get more satisfaction out of the festival if you started to do the same instead of crossing your fingers for your fav band to pop up on the list. (i could definitely see the hold steady jumpin on board though ;) )

dj_deathskiss
01-23-2007, 11:15 AM
I was kind of hoping that long-standing rumor of The Smiths (which i've heard every year since the first Coachella) might come true this time.

:(

brenda
01-23-2007, 11:21 AM
muse!!!
bellanova!!
incubus!!!
should be added
(ill keep dreamin) but im still excited for cocorosie
blonderedhead! ..ect.

pliskenbilson
01-23-2007, 11:33 AM
OK, first Indie is a type of Record Label NOT a type of music. Second, no one can dictate which bands are most important to music. Third, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE! I mean, jesus, the political world is in HELL and we need a strong upfront band like Rage to get these hypnotized kids away from the fucking TVs and Flag Waving. Besides, they're going to kick the crap out of every other act I guarantee. Fourth, the only other acts that really should be there are Two Gallants and Joanna Newsom. Bright Eyes and the Shins and Modest Mouse, all of that noise; it's all been done there and again. Variety people, c'mon. I have seen Willie as well and you should all be excited for that! This is the best line-up, in my opinion, to date. Smashing Pumpkins would be dope, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see Ween or the Flaming Lips. But, Two Gallants and Joanna Newsom deserve to be there after their latest albums.

I agree we need some more DJ's or IDM or something. Daft Punk, Squarepusher, the Flashbulb, I donno something. Also some more hip-hop maybe Aesop Rock, Black Star (that'd be amazing), Immortal Technique, or MF Doom? Lupe Fiasco, I donno....

CiderMouseRules
01-23-2007, 12:24 PM
I need one more awesome nerd band. Muse, Modest Mouse, Smashing Pumpkins, Henry Rollins... just something else to offset the annoyance of having RHCP perform.

I can appreciate a really solid, commercial act with some artistic integrity (Coldplay or Kanye, for example) but RHCP are so damned manufactured and boring.

That said, on the surface, this year's lineup beats last year's and they haven't even had additions yet.

hangthedj112
01-23-2007, 12:29 PM
The Shins are absolutely horrible at festivals. People were literally plugging their ears when I saw them with Modest Mouse at some x-mas radio show.

hangthedj112
01-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Editors will release their 2nd album in April. It should be fvcking awesome! @#$@ Editors haters!

Editors > Interpol > She Wants Revenge

Watch them first and let's have discussions!

I have watched them, and thought their music sucked and their lead singer was a complete douche for trying to look like Ian Curtis onstage.

Sexecutioner
01-23-2007, 12:32 PM
The Shins are absolutely horrible at festivals. People were literally plugging their ears when I saw them with Modest Mouse at some x-mas radio show.

i saw the shins at street scene. i didnt think they were necessarily bad, but just really BOOORING!

musically they are alright, but have no energy. just not my cup of tea i guess...

CiderMouseRules
01-23-2007, 12:33 PM
I walked into Editors' set last year on a whim and was instantly mesmerized.

I saw the Shins open for Belle and Sebastian in LA. They were fine, but they clearly exist to record songs, not play them.

matt504hrs
01-23-2007, 12:33 PM
The Killers
Brand New
Portishead
TV On The Radio (yes they played 2006...so what)
A Silver Mt. Zion

silver mt zion are playing ATP in the UK that same weekend..

C DUB YA
01-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Modest Mouse
The Shins
Bright Eyes
Sufjan Stevens
Liars
Clap Your Hands
The Thermals
Islands

MODEST MOUSE and THE SHINS are BIG omits in my book - they have new records and they both are free to do it.

Hmmmm?

CiderMouseRules
01-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Especially since Johnny Marr is a member now,

typeoserv
01-23-2007, 12:48 PM
We need at least 10 of the following for Coachella to be the best of the eclectic music festivals:

The Locust
Om
Deftones
Oneida
Boris
Slayer
The Stooges
Sunn O)))
Mastodon
Converge

There..
I made the pick of 10 :D

as long as Oneida is supposed to be Unida, otherwise i only gots 9

clincher
01-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Mew is a HUGE omit in my opinion and so is the Islands...completely shocked that they are not there...and what happened to Of Montreal dropping off?

rockclimber
01-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Modest Mouse
The Shins
Bright Eyes
Sufjan Stevens
Liars
Clap Your Hands
The Thermals
Islands

There's still time left for some last minute show ups. I'm hoping for Portishead, Modest Mouse, Phantom Planet, Built to Spill-doubt it but still hoping!