PDA

View Full Version : Can GV use this method to pick the lineup in 2008

brassneck
03-07-2007, 06:18 AM
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I just came across the absolutely coolest way for a festival to pick its lineup. The UK festival is ATP vs the Fans, and the fans get to vote on who they want to play! It's absolutely brilliant.
Check out who is on the bill for this year and who is leading the voting in real time here: ATP vs. the Fans (http://www.atpfestival.com/events/vs-the-fans/line_up.php)

What does everyone think about Golden Voice going to the people for next year's show?

faxman75
03-07-2007, 06:20 AM
ARTISTS VOTED BY YOU (THE FANS)
MODEST MOUSE
MOGWAI
EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY
APPLES IN STEREO
BATTLES
YO LA TENGO
LES SAVY FAV
WILCO

faxman75
03-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Ok, so there's a band or two that is decent but I would have to go with Golden Voices choice over what the fans chose for this festival. I've seen Wilco a bunch. Modest Mouse live can really be awful. Mogwai was at Coach last year and Explosions are there this year.

The rest I could care less about.

sonofhal
03-07-2007, 06:51 AM
Ok, so there's a band or two that is decent

I think all 8 would be more than welcome at Coachella.

It's a novel concept, but you will probably get the same line-up every year using this method.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Fan info would help alot...

Courtney
03-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Part of what makes Coachella so cool are all the great bands that most of the fans have never even heard of.

gaypalmsprings
03-07-2007, 07:48 AM
We should be able to tell GV what price the tickets should be, and how many to release, and to give us 2 months warning before a sell-out. We should have a 10-point Coachella customers bill of rights.

For additional thoughts, go to the Periods for Everyone thread (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4478)

Rochec
03-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Ya we should totally pick the bands so GV loses money cause we get all these like huge bands man. And then we could totally just see all the bands we wanted to see for that year in 2 days and then we could totally get like this big shade tent over the whole polo field so the sun isn't too hot and stuff. Then they could like give us free tickets and meth when we get there, oh and the line to get in shouldn't be as long. I totally hate that line. Finally the chicks can't wear shirts, well the ones with nice jugs, they can't wear shirts.

Cool.

Tylerdurden31
03-07-2007, 08:29 AM
With ATP vs. the Fans, ATP chooses half the lineup, fans choose the other half. There's only a certain list of acts that can be chosen from based on prior engagements and a band's desire to do ATP. So it's not every band imaginable, it's a pool of like 50 bands to choose from.

sonofhal
03-07-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm pretty sure you can choose anyone (you get 10 choices once you have bought your ticket), they just provide a list of people who cannot do it due to prior engagements so you don't waste your vote.

gaypalmsprings
03-07-2007, 08:48 AM
if a ticket is purchased & then resold 3 times, is that 40 votes?

ghettojournalist
03-07-2007, 09:00 AM
lollapalooza is doing this with their mailing list.
they ask for artists, local restaurants and dishes.
it couldn't hurt.
top 2 vote-getters would be boards of canada and portishead.
followed by radiohead and the avalanches.

psychic friend
03-07-2007, 09:14 AM
doesnt mean either band would play though.

we try to get many many many bands. trust me, we try for what people want.

betao
03-07-2007, 09:43 AM
I voted no... There are too many fans with diverse opinions, if fans could pick the lineup then there would be more argueing than actual picking. At least thats what I think.

However, there would be some groups that we all agree one..
for instance..

Daft Punk
Radiohead

..and yea maybe a few more that I cant think of at the top of my head.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Can we use this method to set the price of water?

I vote 40c!

fober
03-07-2007, 09:51 AM
I only trust middle-aged men in suits to pick festival lineups.

rage patton
03-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Daniel Johnston is still playing shows!?!?
Get him to play Coachella this year!

Boourns
03-07-2007, 10:09 AM
What we need to do is boycott divas like Sufjan Stevens who refuse to play, but will play inferior festivals like Sasquatch. And boycott bands like Smashing Pumpkins when they have their big reunions at German nu-metal shitfests instead of Coachella.

Foppie
03-07-2007, 10:13 AM
If by let the fans choose you mean Me and only Me, then I vote yes. I would def get a 3 day pass for my show!

brassneck
03-07-2007, 10:13 AM

I totally believe GV tries to pick the bands that indie-music loving people want to see and the fact that this year's festival is a sellout is the ultimate compliment to a concert promoter. I just think the idea of letting the ticket buyers give direct input to the lineup is really cool.

For instance, if GV is trying to decide who to add to this year's festival, why not ask the ticket buyers to choose from a list of potentials?

But as someone posted above, not everyone knows the latest, coolest bands and would have trouble picking from lesser known acts.

If early returns are any indicator, it appears the forum members prefer GV do the picking. Seems in line with most American consumer trends.

Boourns
03-07-2007, 10:19 AM
ASOBI SEKSU!

Rochec
03-07-2007, 01:16 PM

I asked for The White Stripes and you didn't get them. Let's see you explain that one!

AEversW
03-07-2007, 01:40 PM
ASOBI SEKSU!

Asobi Seksu should be headliner the Mojave tent on friday this year!

kreutz2112
03-07-2007, 01:56 PM
sofa king retarded

Tylerdurden31
03-07-2007, 02:02 PM
sofa king retarded

you mean sofa king we todd ed

http://teamgameonline.com/forums/images/avatars/gallery/Cartoons/ATHF_-_billyWitchDoctor.com.gif

ghettojournalist
03-07-2007, 02:03 PM
I asked for The White Stripes and you didn't get them. Let's see you explain that one!

cause you are not mos def.

woogie846
03-07-2007, 03:30 PM

Oh, haha. Coachella movie pun.

woogie846
03-07-2007, 03:31 PM
I would not want anyone but GV choosing the line up. If this board chose, ICP would be headlining.

rage patton
03-07-2007, 04:17 PM
I would not want anyone but GV choosing the line up. If this board chose, ICP would be headlining.

Oh god your right.
Well actually, they would headline Day 1.
Daft Punk and Dave Wang (wtf?) would headline Day 2 and 3 respectively.
But lets not start this again...

Rochec
03-07-2007, 05:02 PM

At least I can speak english. Can barely understand the guy in that movie.

Hotel Yorba is ok with me though, but I'd prefer Death Letter.

Meg's bosom.

ApathyAndExhaustion
03-07-2007, 05:58 PM
The overall line-up for ATP Vs The Fans is phenomenal - I'd definitely going if I wasn't spending all my money flying to Coachella. Isis, Built To Spill, Shellac, Do Make Say Think, Sparklehorse, The Books, Grizzly Bear and Patti Smith are on the ATP part of the line-up. If you add Mogwai, EitS, Modest Mouse, Apples In Stereo and Wilco to that you've got a whole lot of wonderful bands playing.

Alchemy
03-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Goldenvoice forces me to listen to new bands. I'd rather not vote.

ApathyAndExhaustion
03-08-2007, 05:01 AM
Goldenvoice forces me to listen to new bands. I'd rather not vote.

Less than half the line-up is fan voted, so I think it offers a nice balance between offering the fans what they want and still allowing for the ATP organisers to sign up less popular bands that they think will be well-received.

Kiefer
03-08-2007, 06:23 AM
if they just had us vote every year, you would only have to attend coachella once, it would be the same every year. and that would look something like this: radiohead, my bloody valentine, portishead, aphex twin, ted leo, arcade fire, boards of canada, prince, daft punk, mars volta, etc. etc.

Ardentbiscuit
03-08-2007, 07:41 AM
I think it's better to let GV pick it. As in a lot of festivals out there (you know who you are) they have the same list of bands every year because the fans expect it. To me the excitement comes from discovering a new band. There are so many bands I owe to Coachella that I found out about because of them.

Who knew I would be seeing the Killers at 2 Pm with not that many people in attendance and next thing you know they are selling out the Staples center.

Also, lots of times fans vote for bands that are either not available (touring somewhere else, in the studio), have no interest in playing together, or are just unavailable for other reasons. It would cause a lot of extra let down and drama having a band win and then they can't, won't, or don't want to play Coachella.

rage patton
03-08-2007, 10:20 AM
I like the idea of voting after the initial line up has been anouced. Then GV gives us a list possible additions. It would also end the threads of people wanting bands like Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, The Police, The Smiths etc. to be added this year, when there are already headliners.
That would mean this year most likely Morrissey and/or Modest Mouse, Prince and Daft Punk would all be added! Id like to see that.
Im still pulling for Tom Waits, The Mars Volta and Primus!
*sigh*

woogie846
03-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Oh god your right.
Well actually, they would headline Day 1.
Daft Punk and Dave Wang (wtf?) would headline Day 2 and 3 respectively.
But lets not start this again...

Yea maybe we shouldn't coax malcomjamalawesome out of his Wang threads.

Alchemy
03-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Less than half the line-up is fan voted, so I think it offers a nice balance between offering the fans what they want and still allowing for the ATP organisers to sign up less popular bands that they think will be well-received.

And then half the line-up would be Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, Good Charlotte, Green Day, and similar. I think most of California and America have bad taste in music compared to people over around ATP. The rest of us would vote for bands that would only turn us down, or play once: Radiohead, Portishead, Boards of Canada, and Daft Punk.

Boourns
03-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Being able to vote for some of the lower-billed acts would be good. Like, this is the third year in a row we have been deprived of Asobi Seksu. They can't possibly be too expensive.

paulb
03-11-2007, 02:02 PM
the beastie boys did a similar thing back in 99 off their main website. you could vote who we wanted to see them go on tour with....Rage Against The Machine won...and thats how Rhyme and Reason "happened"

MarkO
03-11-2007, 04:11 PM
If the fans picked Coachella, there would be no Crowded House or JAMC on the bill this year. GV do a fine job picking the artists.

hangthedj112
03-11-2007, 06:20 PM
I think it'd be neat to have a few smaller bands nominated that way. i.e. Xiu Xiu and Asobi Seksu.

Boourns
03-15-2007, 05:40 PM
and Menomena