PDA

View Full Version : More expensive next year

syrinx32123
01-26-2011, 10:10 AM
If the tickets really do sell out this week, that only means one thing, more expensive tickets next year. The law of supply and demand says so atleast.

guedita
01-26-2011, 10:10 AM
You idiot.

CellarOwl
01-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Let's worry about how expensive supply v. demand is going to drive them up by this April first.

rose925
01-26-2011, 10:13 AM
If the tickets really do sell out this week, that only means one thing, more expensive tickets next year. The law of supply and demand says so atleast.

nahhh
what they need to do is tie car camping and 3 day passes some kinda way
so scalpers cant just buy car camping passes and sell em

TomServo
01-26-2011, 10:23 AM
It's already the most expensive festival in the US, ticket-wise.

Hopefully they'll maintain... at the very least, especially given these bargain-basement headliners (Kanye excepted, none of these bands are bank-breakers).

rose925
01-26-2011, 10:26 AM
^^ true

fredbull
01-26-2011, 11:00 AM
it sold out last year and tickets didn't go up this year.... so how do you explain supply and demand there?

Harrisment
01-26-2011, 11:02 AM

You don't have a clue what you're saying do you?

rose925
01-26-2011, 11:02 AM
it sold out last year and tickets didn't go up this year.... so how do you explain supply and demand there?

it sold out much later last year but ya
it did sell out

syrinx32123
01-26-2011, 11:26 AM
You don't have a clue what you're saying do you?

I'm saying that Golden Voice will realize that they can sell out the festival in a week. We live in a capitalistic society, which means everyone is out to make money. If people are willing to buy tickets for $300 in under a week, then that means people will be willing to pay $350 for next year. This is like a homework problem in a basic high school economics class. I guarantee tickets will be more expensive next year. Save this post and check it out next December when ticket prices are announced.

TomServo
01-26-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm saying that Golden Voice will realize that they can sell out the festival in a week. We live in a capitalistic society, which means everyone is out to make money. If people are willing to buy tickets for $300 in under a week, then that means people will be willing to pay $350 for next year. This is like a homework problem in a basic high school economics class. I guarantee tickets will be more expensive next year. Save this post and check it out next December when ticket prices are announced.

No, it doesn't mean that, especially in a down economy. When you go away from the economic sweet spot, you suffer the bell curve effect of losing a tremendous number of sales that were once on the fence.

You could argue that $350 is the sweet spot, I'd argue that the cost is then $400 a ticket (with Ticketmonster fees), and at considerably over $100/day, many people will just say no. It's already the most expensive US festival ticket, if you can go to ACL/Lolla/Roo for half the price, many folks will balk. But we'll see.

shoegazer76
01-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Why are you fools even engaing this dumbfuck's thread?

heyeric
01-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Were still in 2011, lets wait for the festival to end before we EVEN START speculating about 2012.

KickerConspiracy
01-26-2011, 11:45 AM
We live in a capitalistic society, which means everyone is out to make money. If people are willing to buy tickets for $300 in under a week, then that means people will be willing to pay $350 for next year.

This might be true if GV's only revenue stream was ticket sales. Ever wonder why tix to Britney/Miley/Lady Gaga are cheaper than tix to the Eagles even though the former is about a million times more popular?

It is because by keeping ticket prices low, the event attracts younger and less economically savvy customers who are more likely to purchase posters, tshirts, trinkets, food etc. When a band appeals to older folks, they are less likely to buy drek, so to make up for this lost revenue, the tickets are more expensive.

Since Coachella is more-or-less geared primarily toward electronic dance music, its unlikely ticket prices will increase because that would drive away its primary consumers and/or leave them less money to purchase drek on which there is a much higher profit margin.

The Armchair Economist is a good place to start if you are interested in subjects like this one.

Bumblebee
01-26-2011, 11:50 AM
GV will just shave off another million or two from the talent budget.

For instance, not book the Strokes and the festival would probably still out by Feb/March.

indietron
01-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Why doesn't this make sense to anybody? Yeah, a $50 increase would be stupid, but a $10 or $20 increase is not unreasonable. The way Coachella is moving, I wouldn't be surprised if a few years from now it becomes like glasto in that it sells out before the lineup is even announced. And if the festival begins to sell out before it's announced, then why wouldn't they want to increase prices?

Increase in prices = decrease in demand, but if the demand is already through the roof (high enough to sell out the fest in a week) then they wouldn't have a problem still selling it out with slightly higher prices. With a reasonable increase in price, this isn't a far fetched idea. Yes it would take longer to sell out, but it would still sell out if done correctly.

NOTE: I realize that it would suck for the consumers (you) if prices went up, but from a purely business standpoint it's not unreasonable to see an increase in price

Bumblebee
01-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Why doesn't this make sense to anybody? Yeah, a $50 increase would be stupid, but a $10 or $20 increase is not unreasonable. The way Coachella is moving, I wouldn't be surprised if a few years from now it becomes like glasto in that it sells out before the lineup is even announced. And if the festival begins to sell out before it's announced, then why wouldn't they want to increase prices?

Increase in prices = decrease in demand, but if the demand is already through the roof (high enough to sell out the fest in a week) then they wouldn't have a problem still selling it out with slightly higher prices. With a reasonable increase in price, this isn't a far fetched idea. Yes it would take longer to sell out, but it would still sell out if done correctly.

NOTE: I realize that it would suck for the consumers (you) if prices went up, but from a purely business standpoint it's not unreasonable to see an increase in price

Glastonbury do offer refunds, minus small deposit, for tickets after the lineup is announced.

nationocean
01-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Were still in 2011, lets wait for the festival to end before we EVEN START speculating about 2012.

i'm already speculating about 2015, HA!

gooftroop
01-26-2011, 01:07 PM
I could easily see the pass being $299 next year before the fees. Makes more sense now than ever, but let's hope they're happy with where they're at.

GuyInTucson
01-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Ticket prices didn't go up this year but camping passes sure as hell did. Anyone thinking that it "can't" or "won't" aren't thinking logically.

Not saying that prices WILL go up but it's certainly feasible.

PDXdev
01-26-2011, 01:14 PM
It would be illogical for them to not raise the prices. Since the economy has tanked, more tickets have been sold at a faster rate, ESPECIALLY this year. There's no evidence that Coachella has been effected by the economy whatsoever. At least a $20 increase next year.

BeeII
01-26-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm saying that Golden Voice will realize that they can sell out the festival in a week. We live in a capitalistic society, which means everyone is out to make money. If people are willing to buy tickets for $300 in under a week, then that means people will be willing to pay $350 for next year.

not necessarily.

This is like a homework problem in a basic high school economics class. I guarantee tickets will be more expensive next year. Save this post and check it out next December when ticket prices are announced.

bone up on your economics son, because you'd fail. in particular, read up on price elasticity.

heyeric
01-26-2011, 01:30 PM
i'm already speculating about 2015, HA!

Oh, same here...I try my best to take it one year at a time, haha.

syrinx32123
01-26-2011, 02:35 PM

i'm glad someone attending coachella has a college degree or at least took an econ course

syrinx32123
01-26-2011, 02:37 PM
I have 10 apples i need to sell by the end of the month. They sell out in 15 days for $1 because they are really good apples. Next time around I sell them from $1.50 and they sell out in 10 days. More and more people hear about these great apples and next time I sell them they sell out in 5 days for $2 each. Next time they sell out at ..........

i think you get it

ramblinon
01-26-2011, 02:40 PM
The economy's not going to get appreciably worse over the next 15 months, not enough that it's likely going to have an adverse effect on demand. Not to say demand will necessarily rise... there are plenty of factors involved... but the original poster has a point.

They almost certainly will be able to raise prices, if for no other reason that due to fear many people will feel compelled to get their ticket ASAP, regardless of price because of this situation, IMO. The better question is what the equilibrium selling prices on eBay, stubhub, etc will be. If passes are still selling for $500 in early April, then they could probably sell right around there. If they're selling for face, then all else held equal, they probably couldn't increase prices. "The Market" has a way of finding the proper price in perfectly competitive markets, which this would be.

FWIW, I have a degree in finance, and have taken enough Econ classes. Not an expert, but I've learned a couple things.

shamechisel
01-26-2011, 02:42 PM
this entire thread is pure speculation until we see what the secondhand market ends up being like for the next few months, by the way

i think it's way too early to start making predictions for next year