PDA

View Full Version : That band you're just not getting this year?

Sigur Ros Stache
01-26-2011, 04:13 AM
It seems that every year there is always that one band that has most of the board all excited to see that I just don't seem to get. No matter how hard I try or how many times I listen to said album I am just left with a feeling of, "meh."

What band is that for you this year?

Mine is Foals...I don't think they're bad I just don't feel anything when I listen to them.

david.sound
01-26-2011, 04:26 AM
Definitely Kanye West.

Sigur Ros Stache
01-26-2011, 04:34 AM
Definitely Kanye West.

Will he be there? I've just kinda blocked him out. ;)

Gigger
01-26-2011, 05:24 AM
Lil' B.

Viision
01-26-2011, 06:21 AM
I am very confused with a couple artists here.

Lil' B... I just dont get it. and I really dont want to.
Skrillex. 'nough said.
She Wants Revenge...Interpol is already playing on Friday and have these guys released anything remotely new/relevant?

Even with those listed, there are 180 bands on the line up so there is plenty to see(or more than enough to stay away from the above).

BTW if you wanna update me with any reasons on why I should understand Lil' B other than "swag" go for it.

gaypalmsprings
01-26-2011, 06:22 AM
Arcade Fire.

fredbull
01-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Arcade Fire.....
I've tried, and my sisters have tried to get me to like them, but i just can't....i don't doubt their talent, but i guess its not for me.

Lil B...... i just don't get it

TomAz
01-26-2011, 06:49 AM
Duran Duran. regurgitated swill.

PlayaDelWes
01-26-2011, 06:52 AM
Frankly, I'm not latching onto a whole lot of acts on this year's lineup. In years past I immediately fell in love with half a dozen new names that I previously wasn't aware of before the lineup. So far this year, I've got a mix of about 200 songs of new acts and I fear I am looking at Yawnchella.

nathanfairchild
01-26-2011, 07:08 AM
Ms. Lauryn Hill

Viision
01-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Frankly, I'm not latching onto a whole lot of acts on this year's lineup. In years past I immediately fell in love with half a dozen new names that I previously wasn't aware of before the lineup. So far this year, I've got a mix of about 200 songs of new acts and I fear I am looking at Yawnchella.

I think there is plenty to like especially being that many of these artists have played Coachella in the past. I don't know what you are into, but there isnt any reason someone can't find 5 bands to be excited about on each day.

myelectrolife
01-26-2011, 07:13 AM
KOL

GolfWang
01-26-2011, 07:34 AM
DFA 1979

thewoodenman
01-26-2011, 07:34 AM
KOL

this

Viision
01-26-2011, 07:40 AM
KOL

I really dont think this is that weird or difficult to understand. Ever since Coachella has gone to the three day setup there has always been a ?wtf? Headliner. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jack Johnson, The Killers etc. KOL sell tickets. bottom line.

Interpol---> Black Keys will easily make up for this in my mind.

nathanfairchild
01-26-2011, 07:43 AM
^ yes, but booking KOL is like getting every other festival's sloppy seconds

HandBanana
01-26-2011, 07:55 AM
I dont have a huge problem with KoL (yes they suck, but suck in that way that 1 of 3 headers suck every year) but am sort of surprised at how unimaginative a booking that is.
In the last two years they headlined Sasquatch, Lolla and Outside Lands. We get them last while they are touring a record that even fans dont seem to like that much.
Pretty uncharacteristic booking from GV.

PlayaDelWes
01-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Specifically, I’m having issues getting into Animal Collective (from a live standpoint). Looking at their live shows on youtube, I don’t understand all the hype. Looks like they just stand around.

Viision
01-26-2011, 08:03 AM
^^^ I can agree with this. But I don't feel that GV had any intention of "screwing" their long time fan base. Daft Punk couldn't do it, chances are Radiohead, Bjork, or the other headliners everyone craves weren't able to as well. I think next year will be a return to form, with the obvious mainstream generic headliner on Saturday.

luckyface
01-26-2011, 08:07 AM
I think people are missing the point of the actual question. No one on this board except for that one dude who created that thread in support of the band is actually is excited about seeing KoL.

The bands that generally are very well received/excited about on the board that I do not get include:

Animal Collective
Robyn
Caifanes
The National

And I know not a large contingent of boardies that are into this band, but there is a very loud vocal minority. Gogol Bordello is just terrible.

fuck frankie
01-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Phanto-fucking-gram.

seen them live twice. hot singer who can't sing. irritating stage show (mainly strobe light overkill) and bland pseudo-stadium rock anthems that sound like U2 demos with a somewhat more feminine singer.

i'm apparently in a tiny minority as everyone and their grandma is super stoked about them being on the poster

liquidsnake28
01-26-2011, 08:12 AM
I don't think anyone that has any taste or know anything about music likes Gogol Bordello so I find it pretty easy to ignore them.

Animal Collective and The National didn't interest me until I saw them live. Now they're two of my favorite current bands.

Timestretch
01-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Kanye. Listened to the album and do not get the hype. It's not bad, but it's not taking it to the next level as some have suggested. I mean, he is still rapping about taking things to the next level which is what people were doing back in 96---so nothing really new there. The best raps on the album were from guests. The production was good, but being able to choose good samples is not really talent. I bet the show will be entertaining.

All about the Sahara this year.

stellarpoet22
01-26-2011, 08:14 AM
For me DFA 1979....

HandBanana
01-26-2011, 08:16 AM
I like Animal Collective but feel they are massively overrated.
It'll be fun to see the facepaint kids that have only heard MPP try to get in to what AnCo actually do live (which I actually like alot, but dont really want to see at an outdoor festival)

liquidsnake28
01-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Yeah, it'll be great when the next album (which is going to be very different, probably a lot darker) comes out and all the douches that just hopped on board because of MPP are all, "wtf is this shit?" Hopefully that'll kill lots of the hype.

JamesMills
01-26-2011, 08:22 AM
PJ Harvey

SUSHIXXXXX
01-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Robyn
Crystal Castles
Sleigh Bells
Animal Collective
Foals
Radio Dept.
!!!

Dont get em.

Captain Ahab
01-26-2011, 09:00 AM
I don't think anyone that has any taste or know anything about music likes Gogol Bordello so I find it pretty easy to ignore them.

Really? Gogol is amazing. Especially live, easily one of the best live shows I have ever seen. Very fun.

humanoid
01-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Really? Gogol is amazing. Especially live, easily one of the best live shows I have ever seen. Very fun.

I very rarely listen to them ...but their live shows are a ton of fun.

LunaVC
01-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Chemical Girls and Rightfield

Mr.Trent
01-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Robyn
Crystal Castles
Sleigh Bells
Animal Collective
Foals
Radio Dept.
!!!

Dont get em.

I don't get you

HandBanana
01-26-2011, 09:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Jdyev.jpg

MistaGlitch
01-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Suede

RageAgainstTheAoki
01-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Bloody Beetroots for me. I guess they don't have much of that new car smell after their dozens of So Cal appearances in recent years they, but some people seem pretty excited about them. I was really excited to see them at Coachella in '09 but found their live set really lacking. It was all so one note. A lot of fun for a 2 or 3 songs and then it just got relentlessly samey. Even discounting the God awful Aoki appearance I left that set feeling really unsatisfied. It was in sharp contrast to the wonderful experience of the Chem Bros DJ set or even lower ranked artists like the stellar Surkin, whose mid afternoon set had so much more variety; so many more peaks and valleys than the Bloody Beetroots.

Jankypirate
01-26-2011, 09:37 AM
I really dont think this is that weird or difficult to understand. Ever since Coachella has gone to the three day setup there has always been a ?wtf? Headliner. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jack Johnson, The Killers etc. KOL sell tickets. bottom line.

Interpol---> Black Keys will easily make up for this in my mind.

Hold on, the Chili Peppers always put on a great show. Just because they mainstream doesnt make them not cool enough for coachella.

And was never really into the killers until they played coachella. I was rollin and feeling great but even now i appreciate their music more.

Jankypirate
01-26-2011, 09:41 AM
And I know not a large contingent of boardies that are into this band, but there is a very loud vocal minority. Gogol Bordello is just terrible.

BLASPHEMY!!!

Holy shit gogol is the funnest band you will ever see live. You obviously werent drunk enough. Were you there in 08? honestly for the pure fun factor they are one the acts I am most looking forward too

Viision
01-26-2011, 09:43 AM
One final note from me and then on to the next thread. I think the fact that there is such a wide variety of artists...mainstream, artsy, rock, folk, pop etc is why Coachella and its old and new fans have such a love hate relationship. Its an eclectic group of genres that everyone may never truly understand based on personal taste. KOL could headline every year and that would never stop me from attending this festival (been since 07). There will always be out of place, wtf bands and there will always be hidden gems and bands loved by the masses.

But seriously, I am still not getting Lil'B. I wanna gauge my ears and eyes out watching his videos and listening to his music.

Viision
01-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Hold on, the Chili Peppers always put on a great show. Just because they mainstream doesnt make them not cool enough for coachella.

And was never really into the killers until they played coachella. I was rollin and feeling great but even now i appreciate their music more.

The same case can be made for KOL. It's just different strokes for different folks. I don't care for either but I can either watch their set or check someone else out. Watching Mastodon instead of the Killers was probably the best decision I ever made.

JamesMills
01-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Suede

Good call.

HedNoiZe801
01-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Duran Duran
The Strokes
Kanye West
Arcade Fire
Suede

Brochella
01-26-2011, 10:42 AM
I've been checking out Suede's discography for the first time and am not sure I feel them as much as other Britpop acts like Pulp or Gang of Four. I'll probably still check em out though since Saturday is so weak.

Also not sure I'm sold on DFA1979. They're pretty hit or miss. Hopefully their live show will convince me otherwise.

Boourns
01-26-2011, 10:45 AM
The National
The Black Keys
The Kills
Suede
Interpol (well, at least since 2007)
dubstep
Leftfield (although the Sahara is rarely my thing, anyway, so nevermind)

I didn't used to get the big deal about DFA 1979 but I've been digging them more lately, oddly enough.

IlliniQ
01-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Specifically, I’m having issues getting into Animal Collective (from a live standpoint). Looking at their live shows on youtube, I don’t understand all the hype. Looks like they just stand around.

99% of humanity, and 80% of dedicated, serious rock/pop fans will have trouble getting into Animal Collective...you are far from alone...they are a very interesting and at times phenomenal band, but much of their experimentation really pushes the boundaries of what even the most adventurous listeners find palatable...to me they are the very antithesis of accessible outside of their work on Merriweather Post Pavillion.

nathanfairchild
01-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Jimmy Eat World

IlliniQ
01-26-2011, 11:05 AM
DFA 1979

Yeah, I think they're pretty damn cheesy...taking the Love And Rockets billing from 2008...the "you really think I give a shit these third tier,will never be remembered in tens year artists are back together" slot.

IlliniQ
01-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Arcade Fire.....
I've tried, and my sisters have tried to get me to like them, but i just can't....i don't doubt their talent, but i guess its not for me.

Lil B...... i just don't get it

I think it's okay to question their talent...I've liked all three of the albums, but Win Butler, to me, is this decade's Salieri...he wants to be genuinely brilliant like peers like James Murphy and Jack White are, but he just isn't up to it.

Now to counter that, a lot of rocks very best music though the decades has come from super dedicated Salieri's fighting through their limitations...Neil Young, John Lennon, The Velvet Underground, The Kinks, CCR, REM, U2, Pearl Jam, and pretty much every punk act of all time come to mind...so it's not really that much of a slam...but I do think he's limited, a traditionalist in Springsteen mode (Just working from twenty more years of history than the Boss), not an innovator, and a humorousless, monstrously overrated lyricist...like Bono goes for very easy general mythologizing, incredibly poor with details outside of a few good overarching poetic images.

But, like Springsteen, despite Butler's dour personality, a fantastic, fantastic live band. Really amazes me how good and cathartic they are given how downcast Butler's personality is.

DJ Sin
01-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Kanye West

WhyTheLongFace
01-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Duran Duran
Jimmy Eat World
Cafianes

Apex17
01-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Arcade Fire - gross
Skrillex - headache/not even a DJ
Mumford & shits - not a 2nd line band sorry.....

BayAreaIsBetter
01-26-2011, 11:53 AM

Wrong. Look up some live videos. The music isn't as groundbreaking as AC but it has an iggy pop-lust for life feel.

TomAz
01-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Britpop acts like ... Gang of Four.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UBQuEqCJJqk/SJoi6rDlHII/AAAAAAAAAr8/wqe88aAkzDk/s400/confused+dog20.jpg

TomAz
01-26-2011, 11:55 AM

I have taste, I know a lot about music, and I think GB are great fun. But, I don't have a stick up my ass.

abbeyroad 04
01-26-2011, 11:56 AM
The Sahara Tent. Yeah, I said it. I've been every year since 2002 and I've seen 2 bands in there: Happy Mondays (regretably) and The Ting Tings (awesome).

Apex17
01-26-2011, 11:58 AM
I have taste, I know a lot about music, and I think GB are great fun. But, I don't have a stick up my ass.

agreed....Gogol B put on a fantastic show.

as shown here:

LYE8Vjih2cs

BayAreaIsBetter
01-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Arcade Fire - gross

I don't think you know a damn thing about this band. I don't think you've listened to a single record.

Apex17
01-26-2011, 12:03 PM
I don't think you know a damn thing about this band. I don't think you've listened to a single record.

Ha.....believe me....they have had their chance with me.....

Broken Social Scene is much better....if we are talking about canadian indie music...

Karilo13
01-26-2011, 12:09 PM
PJ Harvey

^^^

BayAreaIsBetter
01-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Ha.....believe me....they have had their chance with me.....

Broken Social Scene is much better....if we are talking about canadian indie music...

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. BSS has always irritated me; post rock is only good when it doesn't try to be post-rcoky.

Apex17
01-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. BSS has always irritated me; post rock is only good when it doesn't try to be post-rcoky.

what is post rock about most of BSS' early stuff?
its all just expirimental/ambient/indie....

only recently have they moved on to a more "rock" kind of band if you can even call it that....

MissingPerson
01-26-2011, 12:37 PM
But, like Springsteen, despite Butler's dour personality, a fantastic, fantastic live band. Really amazes me how good and cathartic they are given how downcast Butler's personality is.

I'd disagree with writing him off as quite that dour. He's pretty serious about music - which although it's not common anymore, isn't necessarily a bad thing IMHO - but he's a funny guy offstage and he laughed and cracked jokes at any show I'd been to. I mean, he's got a curiously British sense of humour, but he does indeed have one.