PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Coach Vets Critique My Must Sees & Could Care Lesses

TheSweetScience
01-24-2011, 07:19 PM
1st timer to Coachella, so lets here from the Vets of this Socal Festival of my musical choices for Friday.

My Picks for Friday

My Must Sees: The Black Keys, Warpaint, Sleigh Bells, Tame Impala, Cold War Kids, Omar Rodriguez Lopez, Moving Units and Interpol.

My Really Hope To See: Glasser, The Drums, Gayngs, The Morning Benders, The Rural Alberta Advantage and The Pains of Being Pure at Heart.

My If I Can Find The Time: Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Gypsy and The Cat, Marina and The Diamonds, The Klaxons and Claire Maguire.

My If I See Fine, If Not......Oh Well: Kings of Leon and Lauryn Hill.

My Have No Interest.......But It Wouldn't Kill Me: Robyn, Monarchy, OFWGKTA, Hurts, Flogging Molly, Emicida, Crystal Castles, Cold Cave, Cee Lo Green, Caifanes, The Brandt Brauer Frick Ensemble, Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears, A-Trak and 12th Planet.

My I'm Not Going So Don't Ask!: Titus Andronicus, The Aquabats, Sander Kleinenberg, Ozomalti, Magnetic Man, Skrillex, Sasha, Mount Kimbie, Nosaj Thing, The Chemical Brothers, Kyle Hall, Kele, Jakes, Excision, Erick Morrillo, Cut Copy, Breakage, Brandon Flowers, Boys Noize, Beardyman, Afrojack and !!!

Feel Free to offer constructive criticism or flame away......tell me why you think I should reconsider on a band. Point me towards what you believe to be their definitive work so far. Be as expansive or brief as you want.

Oh and first person to tell me Fuck off, STFU, or Suck my cock gets a choice of free Car Camp or Camp pass with companion parking gift prize.......Yeah I got mine....muhaahahahaha....do you have yours beoyitches.....j/k....I sympathize really I do.....though I have mine....hehehehehe.

LickTheLizzard
01-24-2011, 07:22 PM
more Sahara.

I got a camping spot.

so.

STFU and GTFO

beeerplease
01-24-2011, 07:25 PM
The first thing that sticks out for me is that you refuse to see the Chemical Brothers. You might get a lot of shit for that.

But in other news: shove your pass up your ass

est1985
01-24-2011, 07:28 PM
You don't need to be a Coachella vet to figure out what you want and don't want to see. I say research the linuep, take a look at artists live vids on youtube, and do what you want.

travelfan
01-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Sounds like you already have a solid idea of what you want to see, why would you change that?

TheSweetScience
01-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Oh and I have nothing against the electronic stuff.....it just isn't my thing. I will probably have to go to at least one of the following: The Chemical Brothers, Sphongle, or Empire of the Sun.........because of my sister. Unless I can find a way out of it.....Hmmmm?

beeerplease
01-24-2011, 07:39 PM
if its anything between the three, try the Chems. Just a littttle bit.

TickleMeElmo
01-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Needs more DFA1979.

Besides that, you already have a list so see what you want to see fuckface.

TallGuyCM
01-24-2011, 07:44 PM
I will probably have to go to at least one of the following: The Chemical Brothers, Sphongle, or Empire of the Sun.........because of my sister.

What a terrible sister. :rolleyes

betao
01-24-2011, 07:44 PM
What's your beef with The Chems?

Coachella Bound
01-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Chems and Cut Copy are a must....

id check out Caifanes if theres nothing too conflicting, even for a second just to say you saw them.

BayAreaIsBetter
01-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Yeah stick to that. Have fun

betao
01-24-2011, 07:46 PM
I will probably have to go to at least one of the following: The Chemical Brothers, Sphongle, or Empire of the Sun.........because of my sister. Unless I can find a way out of it.....Hmmmm?

Provided she's attractive, send her my contact info and I'll watch the electronic stuff with her. It's like a win-win-win for everyone.

:thu :dumbo

bmack86
01-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Why no Titus Andronicus? They're incredible live and they put out one of the best albums of the decade last year.

DANCE MAGIC
01-24-2011, 07:49 PM
You are making some very poor choices, friend.

As has been mentioned, watch the Chemical Brothers. No shit, it really might change your life.

I'm a big Sleigh Bells fan. I saw them last year, and I'd like to see them this year, but honestly...they should not be a priority. If it's Sleigh Bells against Cut Copy, Boyz Noize or Gayngs...skip Sleigh Bells. Trust me.

In closing, it seems like you might just kinda not be into electronic music. If that's the case, that's cool. I get it. But man... please watch The Chemical Brothers. I was serious before.

shotglass75
01-24-2011, 07:52 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_s9fw1h_unow/ScSZj30SWEI/AAAAAAAACAM/W-lkLRQ4Wag/s400/REALITY_SLAP_L.jpg

SEE THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS!!! They are probably the most influential artist on the damn lineup. They are pretty much the pioneers of what electronic music is today and continue to evolve as artists. Even if EDM isn't your thing, as a music fan you should experience something new that you normally wouldn't see any other time. Their live show is nothing short of spectacular with some of the most cutting edge visuals out there. Don't be stupid Stupid. If there is any act that you want to experience at Coachella, this would be the one.

theresalwaysone
01-24-2011, 07:56 PM
1st timer to Coachella, so lets here from the Vets of this Socal Festival of my musical choices for Friday.

My Picks for Friday

http://i51.tinypic.com/28tcldx.jpg

TheSweetScience
01-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Provided she's attractive, send her my contact info and I'll watch the electronic stuff with her. It's like a win-win-win for everyone.

You Sir got a DEAL!!!!!!!! I will even provide the "cutting the edge-getting to know you liquor".

TheSweetScience
01-24-2011, 08:02 PM
SEE THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS!!! They are probably the most influential artist on the damn lineup. They are pretty much the pioneers of what electronic music is today and continue to evolve as artists.

If someone told you, "Hey you got to at least try a "SHIT" Sandwich from Greasy Larry's. They started the whole Shit Sandwich Eaten thang!"

.......would you eat the shit sandwich? Just curious. No but really I am just not into any of that, but I will probably see one of the 3 I mentioned because my sister and I said we would each choose one band the other has to see from the 3 day weekend.

We are going to let each other know closer to the event. But I know her taste and she knows mine.

LickTheLizzard
01-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Greasy Larry makes a pretty damn good Shit Sandwich. Be open minded man.

DANCE MAGIC
01-24-2011, 08:09 PM
If someone told you, "Hey you got to at least try a "SHIT" Sandwich from Greasy Larry's. They started the whole Shit Sandwich Eaten thang!"

.......would you eat the shit sandwich?

If that is how you feel about the Chemical Brothers, you seriously should probably just not go to Coachella. Or anywhere. Just kill yourself in the face.

Karilo13
01-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Bro, you got to check out Neon Trees.

TickleMeElmo
01-24-2011, 08:10 PM
If that is how you feel about the Chemical Brothers, you seriously should probably just not go to Coachella. Or anywhere. Just kill yourself in the face.

Pretty much.

shotglass75
01-24-2011, 08:14 PM

.......would you eat the shit sandwich? Just curious. No but really I am just not into any of that, but I will probably see one of the 3 I mentioned because my sister and I said we would each choose one band the other has to see from the 3 day weekend.

We are going to let each other know closer to the event. But I know her taste and she knows mine.

Think what you want kid, but Coachella is about trying new things and being open to seeing new artists. I didn't think I liked EDM until I experienced it live at Coachella in 2003. Everything changed after that.

TheSweetScience
01-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Think what you want kid, but Coachella is about trying new things and being open to seeing new artists. I didn't think I liked EDM until I experienced it live at Coachella in 2003. Everything changed after that.

Oh don't worry I will have to see at least one EDM act/band. My sister is into it, and I have another sister that listens to that and nothing else (she's going to). But my niece and I will have fun with our stuff.

idrive1life
01-24-2011, 08:43 PM
lol Great.

He is not into "electronic stuff". Don't force him.

meager +/- 66 people who were so into Orbital >>> 6,666 gazillion TheSweetScience crowd at ChemBros Live

If you'll find the time, please bring your A game :dumbo @ "The Klaxons". :D

betao
01-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Arman's back!

miss you man. hope all is well.

summerkid
01-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Stay the fuck away from sleigh bells if you know what's good for you. They play to previously recorded tracks and the guy plays a couple of chords on the guitar while the chick screams. Awful Awful show.

beeerplease
01-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Stay the fuck away from sleigh bells if you know what's good for you. They play to previous recorded tracks and the guy plays a couple of chords on the guitar while the chick screams. Awful Awful show.

Yup. Walked out of the Gobi after like 5-10 minutes of that.

gooftroop
01-24-2011, 08:58 PM
No !!! ?! For shame. They put on an incredibly fun show, a million times better than sleigh bells. Or KOL for that matter. Take your sister to see !!! (and the Chems) even if it is just for a little. Coachella is about experiencing new stuff, try all the different areas and I bet you'll find new things to love.

From your taste it seems to me you would like Lighting Bolt a lot, check them out. Other than that really just have fun!

summerkid
01-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Yup. Walked out of the Gobi after like 5-10 minutes of that.

Same here.

orangejulius
01-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Why no Titus Andronicus? They're incredible live and they put out one of the best albums of the decade last year.

Gotta agree... Why no Titus? I saw them after only being somewhat acquainted with their music, and became an instant fan. I like that they bring intelligence back to punk... I mean, just check the lyrics alone on Monitor. And A More Perfect Union is one of my favorite tracks of the past 5 years.

I understand not liking punk, (if that's the reason) but give them a chance to prove themselves...

BayAreaIsBetter
01-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Brandon flowers, lulz

orangejulius
01-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Stay the fuck away from sleigh bells if you know what's good for you. They play to previously recorded tracks and the guy plays a couple of chords on the guitar while the chick screams. Awful Awful show.

As much as I really wanted to like their set, I was disappointed by it mostly being one giant backtrack. I mean, Derek's guitar was screwed up for the first song, and if he really wanted to, he could have faked playing with how loud the track was. I didn't mind Alexis; she wasn't amazing, but she held her own.

Overall though, that set pretty well ruined the respect I had for them, and because of that, I can't enjoy the album without remembering that disappointment.

rskapcat
01-24-2011, 09:45 PM
GAYNGS will be crazy good, so good choice putting them in your top tier.

I actually enjoyed Sleigh Bells last year...aside from that one scream. Ouch. But the girl has a lot of energy. I danced a lot.

Not going to force you into any EDM, but I humbly suggest you give Cut Copy at least a 5 minute chance (if they don't conflict with one of your must-sees). If you hate it, move along. But they really put on a great show.

darkmoon66
01-24-2011, 09:52 PM
I had the same feelings about EDM until I saw Rusko at last years Coachella and Pretty Lights at Outside Lands. It really is a much different experience seeing it live than listening to it sitting at your computer. As others have said, you should open your mind and see The Chemical Brothers.

elbrycen
01-24-2011, 09:54 PM
your list fucking sucks and is going to be full of schedule conflicts.

LayZboy
01-24-2011, 10:12 PM
see the Chemicals! that is all

The Coach
01-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Titus, Klaxons, def Chemical Bros, No Sleigh Bells, and atleast have your mind blown in the Sahara once.

instinct
01-24-2011, 11:22 PM
SEE THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS. It's the one thing that REALLY stuck out for me too. It's obvious you are not a fan of EDM, but just give the Chemical Brothers a chance.

Pixiessp
01-24-2011, 11:49 PM
The fact that you list Warpaint as a must see makes you ok by me.
Plus, we are neighbors. :)

humanoid
01-24-2011, 11:56 PM
no PJ Harvey is the biggest mistake of all

DANCE MAGIC
01-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Dude please listen to ALL OF THESE PEOPLE telling you to watch the chemical brothers please please please

humanoid
01-24-2011, 11:57 PM
or don't

thefrush
01-25-2011, 12:49 AM
Pics of sister?

heart cooks brain
01-25-2011, 04:16 AM
Pics of sister?

:thu

sacleonard
01-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Good Decisions: seeing the following --- Warpaint, Glasser, Gayngs
Bad Decisions: missing the following --- Chem Bros., Cut Copy, !!!

Bottom line: Coachella is different for everyone, so these are your choices. But since you asked for input from the veterans on this board, consider being more open minded on a number of these acts.

C DUB YA
01-25-2011, 03:19 PM
The first thing that sticks out for me is that you refuse to see the Chemical Brothers. You might get a lot of shit for that.

But in other news: shove your pass up your ass

THIS

Saw them at the first Coachella in 99, few times since then, they never disappoint.

C DUB YA
01-25-2011, 03:20 PM
You don't need to be a Coachella vet to figure out what you want and don't want to see.

it helps.

whynotsmile99
01-25-2011, 03:27 PM
if you haven't seen them live yet, Flogging Molly is one of the best live bands around. So much fun.

vintij
01-25-2011, 03:39 PM
I don't see why everyone is balls deep for the Sahara. Yea it has some great acts but not every act is great. Plus it's sweaty and packed as hell. Don't just go to the Sahara to go. Go for a good performer.

thefrush
01-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Good: Warpaint, Glasser, Gayngs
Bad: Chem Bros., Cut Copy, !!!

http://lolwut.com/layout/lolwut.jpg

sacleonard
01-25-2011, 09:05 PM
I meant: those were his "good" choices that he was seeing and "bad" choices that he was skipping. I'll edit my post, since it was confusing.

nathanfairchild
01-25-2011, 09:09 PM
The Strokes