PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for next year's camping ticket sales

digitaldragon03
01-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Alright smart asses, throw out your ideas for how to make this easier for Coachella attendees and harder for scalpers.

I think that Coachella should combine the cost of the 3-day festival ticket and the cost of the camping ticket into one. This would increase the cost of doing business for scalpers and likely decrease their margins because the festival ticket commands much less money percentage wise.

Dont think that these scalpers are people that dont attend the festival themselves. Ive already read from multiple people on this board that they bought an extra camping ticket in case a friend wants to show. Well Im willing to bet that a lot of them bought that extra ticket to make a buck. Why wouldnt they? The margins are huge on those camping tickets. If you fold in the cost of the camping ticket with the cost of a festival ticket, unloading that ticket makes the entire process much more of a hassle. Also, the high cost of the combined ticket, Im thinking around $400, would push many would be scalpers out of their comfort zone for the investment.

Of course there would still have to be 3-day tickets on sale as a stand alone for the people who want to stay at hotels or camp offsite. And there will probably still have to be a separate combined ticket for people who prefer tent camping over car camping. If you tell people ahead of time that they will have to know if they are driving and need to buy a combined ticket, or if they are riding and need to buy a stand alone ticket, it forces them to plan out how they are going to get to the festival before the tickets even go on sale. I have a feeling that the people that do plan ahead are the people that have been attending Coachella for years and would benefit from such a system.

MarkO
01-22-2011, 01:10 PM
I think that Coachella should combine the cost of the 3-day festival ticket and the cost of the camping ticket into one.

Yes, let's force all those that DON'T camp onsite to subsidize those that do.

Well done.

Voodoo Hipster
01-22-2011, 01:14 PM
For starts..you should have to have a festival ticket to buy a camping ticket.

1 camping ticket per 1 3 day pass, must be bought together.

that should at least be the bare mininum. Poeple would still bitch

WhyTheLongFace
01-22-2011, 01:15 PM

Well done.

I don't agree with OP but he said......

Of course there would still have to be 3-day tickets on sale as a stand alone for the people who want to stay at hotels or camp offsite.

digitaldragon03
01-22-2011, 01:15 PM

Well done.

Of course there would still have to be 3-day tickets on sale as a stand alone for the people who want to stay at hotels or camp offsite. And there will probably still have to be a separate combined ticket for people who prefer tent camping over car camping.
GTFO.

WhyTheLongFace
01-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Welcome to the new age yall. It's gonna take a bad lineup and scalpers to lose money for it to go down. And guess what? Right when the lineup gets better it goes back to this.

I got my camping but can't get my actual pass for a while (aka I'm not going this year cause no way tickets last til March 1st). It just comes with the territory

vinylmartyr
01-22-2011, 01:20 PM
What if this is the best system? Scalpers did not buy 10k tickets guys the demand is high this year.

wewantmuse
01-22-2011, 01:28 PM
What if this is the best system? Scalpers did not buy 10k tickets guys the demand is high this year.

they obviously didn't buy all of the camping tickets, but it's indisputable that scalpers did take a portion of the camping passes from people who actually look forward to attending.

i think the most sensible solution is to require purchasers to have purchased a 3day festival ticket. some scalpers will still buy into this, but i'm sure it would limit the amount of scalpers.

Garbarator
01-22-2011, 01:44 PM

Well done.

learn to read.

they could always just make them non-transferrable.

Wheres the beef?
01-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Alright smart asses, throw out your ideas for how to make this easier for Coachella attendees and harder for scalpers.

I think that Coachella should combine the cost of the 3-day festival ticket and the cost of the camping ticket into one. This would increase the cost of doing business for scalpers and likely decrease their margins because the festival ticket commands much less money percentage wise.

Dont think that these scalpers are people that dont attend the festival themselves. Ive already read from multiple people on this board that they bought an extra camping ticket in case a friend wants to show. Well Im willing to bet that a lot of them bought that extra ticket to make a buck. Why wouldnt they? The margins are huge on those camping tickets. If you fold in the cost of the camping ticket with the cost of a festival ticket, unloading that ticket makes the entire process much more of a hassle. Also, the high cost of the combined ticket, Im thinking around $400, would push many would be scalpers out of their comfort zone for the investment.

Of course there would still have to be 3-day tickets on sale as a stand alone for the people who want to stay at hotels or camp offsite. And there will probably still have to be a separate combined ticket for people who prefer tent camping over car camping. If you tell people ahead of time that they will have to know if they are driving and need to buy a combined ticket, or if they are riding and need to buy a stand alone ticket, it forces them to plan out how they are going to get to the festival before the tickets even go on sale. I have a feeling that the people that do plan ahead are the people that have been attending Coachella for years and would benefit from such a system.

Here's what you can do:

1. Accept that this is the way it is going to be from now on.
2. Prepare for the onsale. Make sure you have money and are able to access a computer. Buy them on lawaway. Don't delay!
3. When the onsale happens be ready, buy your ticket.
4. If you can't, make sure a friend can get one for you.
5. If you are able to, get one for a friend who might not be able to get it. Because the day might come where you can't get one and they might save your bacon. Or, get it just get one for the sake of selling it for face to some unlucky coachella goer and be that awesome guy to make their weekend happen.

I go to plenty of concerts that sell out in seconds and its hard getting tickets. I've had good luck because I've experienced what it takes to get a ticket to a concert that will sell out in a second and I've learned the ropes. Coachella is heading that way so you might as well get used to it.

gbgbgb
01-22-2011, 02:05 PM
i feel really really bad for everyone who didnt get camping tickets.

BUT

i dont get why people are saying they didnt have computer access or had to work and thats why they didnt get to buy tickets???

i bought mine on layaway like 3 weeks ago, were people waiting on the lineup?

it doesnt add up to me.

elChurro
01-22-2011, 02:06 PM
I volunteered for stagecoach to get coachella tickets last year and the whole place was a fucking campground unlike coachella. I personally think camping should be first come first serve, per person (with ticket) and make everyone camp one after another like parking, this way there are no gaps in between areas and the fields get there maximum use, plus almost everyone gets a chance to camp. This would all have to be done on thursday, so parking won't be flooded by cheapo campers who were to lazy to book a room.

That is all. problem solved.

Cuddlesthesheep
01-22-2011, 02:07 PM
i feel really really bad for everyone who didnt get camping tickets.

BUT

i dont get why people are saying they didnt have computer access or had to work and thats why they didnt get to buy tickets???

i bought mine on layaway like 3 weeks ago, were people waiting on the lineup?

it doesnt add up to me.

dee da dee

ErikFlyingV
01-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Everyone just make sure to do layaway, problem solved.

Save. Up. Now.

Worst case scenario, you hate the lineup and don't go. You sell the ticket to a boardie or friend.

KungFuJoe
01-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Worst case scenario, you hate the lineup and don't go. You sell the ticket to a boardie or friend.

Except haven't they made it very difficult to give your ticket to someone else with this new bracelet system?

WhyTheLongFace
01-22-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm not as well traveled as some of yall but hasnt Glastonbury been like this for years? But with tickets as well as camping? And BEFORE the lineup?

It's life it happens. Plus buying a scalped $400 ticket isnt that bad. That's $80 per person for a weekend. That's Motel 6 Compton prices. *kanyeshrug* I'm just saying complaining isn't going to do much.

ShyGuy75
01-22-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm not as well traveled as some of yall but hasnt Glastonbury been like this for years? But with tickets as well as camping? And BEFORE the lineup?

scalping is next to impossible at glastonbury because they make you register with a photo in order to buy a ticket (camping is your only option). your photo is then printed on your ticket along with your name, address, etc.

shockingly simple and effective, i know.

iammrcandyman
01-22-2011, 02:44 PM
A camping pass should be "linked" to the ticket it's bought with so that it cannot be sold afterwards.

baily
01-22-2011, 03:19 PM
wake up and understand supply and demand

Too many of you KNEW the festival sales were available, but yet you still waited...why?

It's like GV tells you a train is coming get off the tracks...and you stand there saying, 'that train is going slow - I've got plenty of time.'

I don't feel bad for those of you who FAILED. You chose to fail...you could have done LAYAWAY weeks ago...you only had to have a small amount of money OR you could have bought them when they went on sale.

Either way YOU FAILED! Stop the bitching and complaining that someone didn't do it for you. GROW UP!! MAN UP!!

I for one am sick of you complainers here who knew all along what was going on and you failed to act. A bunch of babies who want mommy to do it for them....GV do this...GV do that....GV why don't you....

Na' why don't you buy tickets when you should.

Here's your wake up call. The festival tickets WILL sell out soon. If you FAIL again by not purchasing your tickets in the next 24 hours...don't bitch when the tickets are SOLD OUT.

I know I'm not the only one tired of these people complaining....next time act.

CrimesceneCookie
01-22-2011, 03:28 PM
jesus, after seeing what happened last year, I bought a hotel package within 24 hours of them going on sale. I literally couldn't sleep until I knew I had locked everything down. They're just now selling out, but next year will go even faster.
I never understood why people wait when they don't have to, but my friends are all like that. that's why I'm the designated planner of the bunch.

TheScenestar
01-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Layaway. Plus if you did layaway, you could have gotten camping at the discounted price of $55. Bet that sounds awesome right about now, right? The system isn't broken, just people were to lazy to get their s%^t straight and on lock. Start making plans for 2012 that way you don't miss out on camping and from the looks of it, tickets....

PlayaDelWes
01-22-2011, 03:35 PM
If everyone did layaway presale, wouldn't it still sell out? Try that on for size.

gaypalmsprings
01-22-2011, 03:35 PM
scalping is next to impossible at glastonbury because they make you register with a photo in order to buy a ticket (camping is your only option). your photo is then printed on your ticket along with your name, address, etc.

shockingly simple and effective, i know.

Yeah, but we are not the third world in the USA.

TheScenestar
01-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Layaway. Plus if you did layaway, you could have gotten camping at the discounted price of $55. Bet that sounds awesome right about now, right? The system isn't broken, just people were to lazy to get their s%^t straight and on lock. Start making plans for 2012 that way you don't miss out on camping and from the looks of it, tickets....

baily
01-22-2011, 04:17 PM
it's nice to hear some people who actually THINK rather than ASSUME.

I bought mine the second they were on sale. I saw ticket prices last year go for $800 per ticket after they announced a SELL OUT...panic sat in...and it'll be the same this year...only it'll be a lot sooner.

The festival is one that everyone wants to be at...it's that fun.

Bumblebee
01-22-2011, 04:17 PM

Too many of you KNEW the festival sales were available, but yet you still waited...why?

It's like GV tells you a train is coming get off the tracks...and you stand there saying, 'that train is going slow - I've got plenty of time.'

I don't feel bad for those of you who FAILED. You chose to fail...you could have done LAYAWAY weeks ago...you only had to have a small amount of money OR you could have bought them when they went on sale.

Either way YOU FAILED! Stop the bitching and complaining that someone didn't do it for you. GROW UP!! MAN UP!!

I for one am sick of you complainers here who knew all along what was going on and you failed to act. A bunch of babies who want mommy to do it for them....GV do this...GV do that....GV why don't you....

Here's your wake up call. The festival tickets WILL sell out soon. If you FAIL again by not purchasing your tickets in the next 24 hours...don't bitch when the tickets are SOLD OUT.

In 2009 I walked up to the gate and bought camping. 2010 it sold out a couple weeks from the festival. In 2011 they were gone within 2 hours of onsale.

Nobody anticipated this kind of sell out. Feel free to search recent posts on the forum to show me the warnings.

Scalpers knew they couldn't do much with festival passes this year, so they heavily invested in camping passes. 4-8 times markup is quite a pay day. They have multiple CC cards and addresses.

Oddly, there's some talk on this board about this years festival passes not selling out or only doing so in April - possibly via GV selling single day. Most of this lineup can be seen in every US market in the past/next 12-18 months. Why come from out of state with no assurance of anywhere to stay?

BTW, my room and tix were done before xmas.

untzcrate
01-22-2011, 05:02 PM

Well said, Sir.

RoyaleWithCheese
01-23-2011, 11:59 AM
I think for camping passes and festival passes they should start printing names on the tickets. Only allowing the person in if their name on the ticket matches their id. This would definitely cut scalping down and would require people to do a little planning before buying tickets.

There is no doubt in my mind that a significant portion of camping tickets were purchased either purely for resale or before their minds had been made as to whether they will be attending Coachella or not (and amongst these tickets, a large portion will be resold at a higher value).

That said, I am not the least bit surprised camping ticket sold out. I knew they would. I just didn't expect it to be within a few hours.

suprefan
01-23-2011, 12:23 PM

This is easy, BUY YOUR SHIT WHEN IT GOES ONSALE.

And I will say this in regards to scalpers. You do realize that the 100 or so camping tickets for sale on the secondary market, is not even close to them having ''a total monopoly'' right? I really am shocked as to how anyone who thinks that scalpers bought all the tickets up for this and sold it out. If they truly did, then therw would be 1000 listings on ebay or stub hub, thats not the case. Get over your shit people, less than 1% of the total tickets on the secondary market shouldnt piss you off, its expected at any event.

gaypalmsprings
01-23-2011, 12:25 PM
AND FLUSH YOUR SHIT WHEN YOU'RE DONE.

suprefan
01-23-2011, 01:11 PM
AND FLUSH YOUR SHIT WHEN YOU'RE DONE.

You are the expert on the subject.

BeeII
01-23-2011, 01:56 PM
This is easy, BUY YOUR SHIT WHEN IT GOES ONSALE.

And I will say this in regards to scalpers. You do realize that the 100 or so camping tickets for sale on the secondary market, is not even close to them having ''a total monopoly'' right? I really am shocked as to how anyone who thinks that scalpers bought all the tickets up for this and sold it out. If they truly did, then therw would be 1000 listings on ebay or stub hub, thats not the case. Get over your shit people, less than 1% of the total tickets on the secondary market shouldnt piss you off, its expected at any event.

werd. there were 8K camping tix, a hundred or so online. it's not a major conspiracy, just the economics of festivals.

Voodoo Hipster
01-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Serious.. When you look at the 8000 or so spots sold..you can blame scalpers for a few hundered of them at most. buy you also must blame the concert goers who bought 10-15 spots for thier party. .they also had a HUGE part of camping selling out so quickly.

I feel less sorry for the situation as I hear so many people who got multiple spots.