PDA

View Full Version : Titus Andronicus

LickTheLizzard
01-21-2011, 02:42 PM
I didn't plan on starting any threads this year, but I was able to find one for these guys. This is a must see for me this year. I saw them at a little venue in Phoenix this summer and had a blast.

Here is a video from that show (sorry for the bad lighting):

7FD7gpQWK20

LickTheLizzard
01-21-2011, 04:23 PM
What's that you say?

Oh you don't want to talk about Titus Andronicus right now?

OK cool....well come back when you're in the mood.

est1985
01-21-2011, 04:30 PM
I stumbled upon these guys last year...I think they released a new album, no?...and thought they were pretty awesome but for some reason didn't revisit their stuff until this week when I saw them on the lineup. Will definitely be checking them out if there are no major conflicts!

ivankay
01-21-2011, 07:30 PM
What's that you say?

Oh you don't want to talk about Titus Andronicus right now?

OK cool....well come back when you're in the mood.

http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42718&highlight=titus

Bons222000
01-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Not a huge fan of the band but they are not terrible. Good play though.

JamesMills
01-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Titus and Arcade FIre are my favorite bands playing this year, and I haven't seen either live yet, so obviously I'm ecstatic to see both of them. Still, my reservations with both consist of the fact that both Butler's and Stickler's voices sound shitty live. I guess the energy of the music itself may make it ok, but I can't even watch their performances on video because their voices sound so completely different than from the album. Interpol falls into this fucking category as well, it pisses me off.

BayAreaIsBetter
01-21-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm ready to talk about this. It's very refreshing to hear some in your face indie-punk in the middle of the nu-gaze era. I mean, I'm going to be looking at my shoes all weekend but this will be a very promising break

LickTheLizzard
01-21-2011, 08:15 PM
http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42718&highlight=titus

Yes, that is a TA thread, but I thought we should have one in the Line-Up section, right?

so instead of going to:

Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival Message Board > Non-Coachella Discussion > Music Lounge
TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

We can discuss the fact that they are actually on the poster.

ivankay
01-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Yes, that is a TA thread, but I thought we should have one in the Line-Up section, right?

so instead of going to:

Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival Message Board > Non-Coachella Discussion > Music Lounge
TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

We can discuss the fact that they are actually on the poster.

Make whatever thread you like, where you like. i thought you wanted to discuss Titus and weren't getting any immediate takers. Figured i'd point you to where the discussion has been going on for a bit. Talking about them playing Coachella and being on the poster is ok there too.

LickTheLizzard
01-21-2011, 08:27 PM
No argument here. I didn't know about that thread before, I'll check it out. Thanks.

JamesMills
01-21-2011, 08:28 PM
And fwiw Titus is in no way punk rock imo. Just because they don't sound as pussy as most indy doesn't mean it's punk, I'm sick of hearing them called "indy punk"

BayAreaIsBetter
01-21-2011, 08:31 PM
I hear a lot of clash in it. The attitude reminds me of the clash, the singing reminds me of early bright eyes, the guitars remind me of early pavement

LickTheLizzard
01-21-2011, 08:32 PM
I hear a lot of clash in it. The attitude reminds me of the clash, the singing remind me of early bright eyes, the guitars remind me of early pavement

I agree with this.

Mr.Trent
01-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Still, my reservations with both consist of the fact that both Butler's and Stickler's voices sound shitty live.

Jesus! and I thought the album had annoying vocals... will give it another listen though.

heart cooks brain
01-22-2011, 05:47 PM
TA is going to murder a midday Mojave set.

HandBanana
02-03-2011, 02:29 PM
The only thing that sucks is I wont be as drunk as I would think that I would like to be for a Titus Andronicus set.

Still, I predict much wailing and gnashing.

Aales
02-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Soo stoked I heard them for the first time ever at another festival last year/fucking killed

TallGuyCM
02-03-2011, 10:27 PM
The only thing that sucks is I wont be as drunk as I would think that I would like to be for a Titus Andronicus set.

Why not? Start early!

heyeric
02-03-2011, 10:27 PM
They most certainly deserve a better sound system than FYF gave them.

MagneticField
02-03-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm so happy that Stickles sounds like shit live.

Milky
02-03-2011, 11:33 PM
I am super excited for these dudes. I've been pumping the Monitor big time the last 2 weeks and I am going to acquire their first album in a few days.

JelloPuddingChat
02-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Why not? Start early!

This right here. I'm am going to make sure I'm fucking hammered when titus and flogging molly play. Be smart GV and put these two acts back to back.

HandBanana
02-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Why not? Start early!

Yeah but then I stumble out of the tent and its 3 in the afternoon and 105 degrees and I pass out and miss 5 other bands.

TomAz
02-06-2011, 06:59 PM
I hear a lot of clash in it. The attitude reminds me of the clash, the singing reminds me of early bright eyes, the guitars remind me of early pavement

You are old enough that you have not excuse for not noting the obvious heavy Pogues influence, which they manage to pull off without sounding the least bit like flogging moolly.

MagneticField
02-06-2011, 07:03 PM
They are my most anticipated band of the festival this year. I hope I end up drunk for their set (best way to experience The Monitor).

grichsgang
02-06-2011, 07:33 PM
I hear the Replacements when I hear them.

HandBanana
02-06-2011, 08:02 PM
It has the hard or The Mats, but not as much of the candy.
Which is a good thing I think.
Makes TS more their own thing and less like a latter day Mats.

nosurprises12
02-06-2011, 09:01 PM
They most certainly deserve a better sound system than FYF gave them.

Totally agree with this

MagneticField
02-06-2011, 10:24 PM
I hope nearly all the songs on the set are off The Monitor, don't care for their first album really.

Dede' Arneaux
02-07-2011, 04:33 AM
Still, my reservations with both consist of the fact that both Butler's and Stickler's voices sound shitty live. I guess the energy of the music itself may make it ok, but I can't even watch their performances on video because their voices sound so completely different than from the album.

Based on that video, Stickler's shouting makes Win Butler sound like Karen F*cking Carpenter.

TomAz
02-07-2011, 06:16 AM
I hear the Replacements when I hear them.

There are some similarities, yes -- two american punk rock bands that avoid the hardcore trap and instead try to do bigger things from that base.

But the Replacements' greatness stemmed from their ability to seemingly turn nothing into something in a flash. one second their stumbling around, a shambolic mess, and the next moment it's all converged and it's fucking brilliant rock and roll. Very compact songs.

TA is more calculated. They build and build and add and go for the huge dramatic crescendo. Also brilliant rock n roll but more expansive and deliberate (or so it seems).

faxman75
02-07-2011, 06:24 AM
And fwiw Titus is in no way punk rock imo. Just because they don't sound as pussy as most indy doesn't mean it's punk, I'm sick of hearing them called "indy punk"

You have to be completely deaf to not hear punk or it's influence on The Monitor.

Who is spelling indy that way outside of NASCAR? If you're going to have the moronic genre debate at least spell it right.

TomAz
02-07-2011, 06:42 AM
I love moronic genre debates.