PDA

View Full Version : tent camping already sold out?

connorp
01-21-2011, 10:46 AM
checked on this site,
checked on ticketmaster.com,
called ticket master,
is it true?

Junket
01-21-2011, 10:53 AM
uhh... i have the option to buy

you must be doing something wrong

rose925
01-21-2011, 10:54 AM
:0)

mcskye
01-21-2011, 10:54 AM
tent camping with a car is still available ' Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival - Car Camping Pass' but I don't know what the tent camping without a car is or if those tickets have even been released yet....

thedude15
01-21-2011, 10:55 AM
uhh... i have the option to buy

you must be doing something wrong

Cause I literally checked at 10:05 10:10 10:20

and could not buy them.

No way tickets could have sold out that fast.

vinylmartyr
01-21-2011, 10:57 AM
don't see any

frozen pilgrim
01-21-2011, 10:58 AM
I keep trying and can't get it. it says sold out on layaway. I can't get it on ticketmaster. this can't be possible.

Errant
01-21-2011, 11:07 AM
For whatever reason, I was having issues using the link in the Coachella email, or from the link on the Coachella page. Going directly to TM worked fine. This was for car camping, not tent camping, however.

frozen pilgrim
01-21-2011, 11:09 AM
so then shut the fuck up.

the whole point is fucking TENT camping.

I've been doing that every year since 07. of course I feel like an ass for not getting the tent camping pass on layaway, but this is fucked.

help me out, someone. I need a tent camping space.

connorp
01-21-2011, 11:12 AM

I've been doing that every year since 07. of course I feel like an ass for not getting the tent camping pass on layaway, but this is fucked.

+ 1

captncrzy
01-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Wow, that was fast. Even the front page says they're gone.

Sorry, Luca. Maybe someone will let you camp with them in the car area? Or someone local (like Pete and Bev) can bring an extra car and you guys can all arrive together and you can use one of their cars in your spot?

mmsk123
01-21-2011, 11:14 AM
I looked right at 10 and it was sold out. Either they only had like 100 tent camping spaces or something is wrong with their system.

frozen pilgrim
01-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Wow, that was fast. Even the front page says they're gone.

Sorry, Luca. Maybe someone will let you camp with them in the car area?

there's room for one goddamned tent behind a car. I'm screwed, and so are my friends. fantastic. they were sold out right at 10am. if I had known ALL the tent camping tickets were for layaway (which is apparently what happened) I would have done that.

WhyTheLongFace
01-21-2011, 11:18 AM
This is going to be crazier than expected

shermanoaksyo
01-21-2011, 11:18 AM
there's room for one goddamned tent behind a car. I'm screwed, and so are my friends. fantastic. they were sold out right at 10am. if I had known ALL the tent camping tickets were for layaway (which is apparently what happened) I would have done that.

buy two car camping passes? quickly!

shermanoaksyo
01-21-2011, 11:19 AM
it is B.S. if they have effectively denied tent camping passes to people who wanted to pay up front

ArcticMuse
01-21-2011, 11:21 AM
It's on the Coachella website on the camping page. "TENT CAMPING - NO LONGER AVAILABLE"

Sorry people

frozen pilgrim
01-21-2011, 11:21 AM
buy two car camping passes? quickly!

I CAN NOT BRING A FUCKING CAR

dancefreak
01-21-2011, 11:22 AM
it is B.S. if they have effectively denied tent camping passes to people who wanted to pay up front

Why would you want to pay up front if layaway for camping was cheaper?

frozen pilgrim
01-21-2011, 11:23 AM
why would you want to ask stupid questions that have no bearing on the current situation?

I wanted to buy a tent camping pass when they went on sale, and they NEVER DID.

WhyTheLongFace
01-21-2011, 11:23 AM
I think you can still get a car camping pass and just walk in. Of course its more and only allows 1 person but I don't see a problem

frozen pilgrim
01-21-2011, 11:28 AM
it says every space must have a car, no exceptions.

koryp
01-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Buy a car camping pass before they sell out too. You may have better luck trading it with someone who bought extra tent camping passes. It'd be better than scraping your plans or paying scalper prices.

connorp
01-21-2011, 11:33 AM
why would you want to ask stupid questions that have no bearing on the current situation?

+100

TheRotten42
01-21-2011, 11:55 AM
you can still get the lake Eldorado camping if you feeling like dropping $1000 for one 2 person tent. Or you can bring a cardboard box and rock it homeless status somewhere.

Leeartlee
01-21-2011, 11:56 AM
wow... is this really happening?

Grant
01-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Glad I got mine

Junket
01-21-2011, 12:00 PM
i dont even understand how its possible..

thank god for a car i guess

thedude15
01-21-2011, 12:04 PM
what I would do

a.) buy a car pass (just so you have something)

b.) you could constantly check Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster says there is a limit of 2 per household BUT Ticketmaster does not prevent you from buying more than 2. So some people most likely bought more than 2. What happens to them is the order gets flagged by Ticketmaster. GV (or whoever is running the event) then looks at those flagged orders.

they can
1.) cancel those orders
2.) release those orders (ie let the person exceed the household limit of 2)

There were tent camping passes available through ticketmaster yesterday (KROQpresale). Thus I am guessing at least a few tent camping orders will be canceled.

Sure the odds of you getting one of those tickets is slim BUT it might be worth a shot.

psychic friend
01-21-2011, 12:04 PM

false. they did go on sale. they sold out instantly. that is sometimes what happens when you have way way more demand than supply.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Is this how fast these go normally?

digitaldragon03
01-21-2011, 12:07 PM
false. they did go on sale. they sold out instantly. that is sometimes what happens when you have way way more demand than supply.
Are we going to get our usual "Get them soon" message for car camping/3-day passes this year?...for those last minute people.

BeeII
01-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Is this how fast these go normally?

no.

psychic friend
01-21-2011, 12:08 PM
if i find out ahead of time I try to post. there is no law or rule that I will. I just try to when I can.

BeeII
01-21-2011, 12:08 PM

economics, how does it work?

digitaldragon03
01-21-2011, 12:11 PM
if i find out ahead of time I try to post. there is no law or rule that I will. I just try to when I can.
Thats all we ask. :)

Vic Viper
01-21-2011, 12:11 PM
holy bejeezus. i just had this thought at lunch and wondered if it'd be possible for them to sell out day one.

crazy. why doesn't GV offer more spots if they're so obviously in demand?

psychic friend
01-21-2011, 12:12 PM
if we had more we would offer them. do you think we are hoarding spots?

J~$$$$
01-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Way to go scalpers.....

Yall should have made these non transferable.

Vic Viper
01-21-2011, 12:21 PM
if we had more we would offer them. do you think we are hoarding spots?

not at all. i understand there's a balance between having/offering space for car camping and tent camping and that there is a tipping point where it stops making sense to offer X amount of tent spaces.

i guess what i meant is that its strange there isn't a higher ratio of tent:car spaces when its clear tent is still very much in demand. esp when RV camping was removed. assumedly both camping options have received some kind of boost in available space as a result. just an observation is all.

Way to go scalpers.....

Yall should have made these non transferable.
for the record i bought one tent space. i had the idea to buy several but decided that was not in the interest of the "coachella spirit". its really a fucked thing to do.

cutterbutter
01-21-2011, 12:22 PM
4 on ebay for $199. Funny.

Vic Viper
01-21-2011, 12:29 PM

those are for car camping, which isn't sold out. seller is an imbecile.

captncrzy
01-21-2011, 12:32 PM
I would assume they made those decisions based on ticket sales last year. I doubt they pulled random numbers out of a giant 7-11 mug.

Tosh0
01-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Does anyone have an estimate of how many tent camping spots were up for grabs?

I have a sneaking suspicion that scalpers bought up TONS of passes to make a profit ><

I was just forced to buy a car camping as insurance =(

thedude15
01-21-2011, 12:41 PM
A tent camping pass already sold for $248 on stub hub. Which ends up being a cost of $285 to the buyer.

Score one for the scalpers

baily
01-21-2011, 12:43 PM
I can't believe those of you 'die hards' wait to buy tickets, camping spots etc. You'd think you would be the ones to buy them up the second they are on sale so you don't have to deal with the problems of not having them.
This festival is too huge to think they won't sell out INSTANTLY.
I'll bet the festival tickets are sold out within a week.
Those of you that want to wait....you're going to find yourself on the outside paying $600 per ticket on ebay or higher.
Those that waited till the day of the show ...there WERE NONE LAST YEAR. NONE ON CRAIGSLIST none on the message board....people had driven to Indio from states away thinking they could scalp one....only to find themselves standing out there for nothing. There were A LOT of people begging for tix last year with cash in hand....there wasn't one to be had.
this year will be no different.
wait and you'll be watching the festival online

baily
01-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Does anyone have an estimate of how many tent camping spots were up for grabs?

I have a sneaking suspicion that scalpers bought up TONS of passes to make a profit ><

I was just forced to buy a car camping as insurance =(

You were smart as these will be sold out within the next day.

A tent camping pass already sold for $248 on stub hub. Which ends up being a cost of $285 to the buyer.

Score one for the scalpers

Those that snooze will pay big $$$

malcolmjamalawesome
01-21-2011, 12:46 PM
I can't believe those of you 'die hards' wait to buy tickets, camping spots etc. You'd think you would be the ones to buy them up the second they are on sale so you don't have to deal with the problems of not having them.
Those of you that want to wait....you're going to find yourself on the outside paying $600 per ticket on ebay or higher.
Those that waited till the day of the show ...there WERE NONE LAST YEAR. NONE ON CRAIGSLIST none on the message board....people had driven to Indio from states away thinking they could scalp one....only to find themselves standing out there for nothing. There were A LOT of people begging for tix last year with cash in hand....there wasn't one to be had.

They've never "sold out instantly," but thanks for the highly provocative explanation of how, when people resell sold-out items, they often sell at more than face value, you fucking genius.

Tosh0
01-21-2011, 12:53 PM
This festival is too huge to think they WILL sell out INSTANTLY.

Fixed

baily
01-21-2011, 12:54 PM
you fucking genius.

Thank you!!! Yes I am!

baily
Fixed

The festival draws people from all over the world. This is one event where people buy tickets before any lineup is concerned....yea I know...it's not late breaking news....

but this festival will sell out.

Car camping will be sold out in a day or two

camping general IS sold out - unless you want that 1k option...which seems retarded.

Any smart person would buy a bunch of the car spots as they remain and make some $.

Harrisment
When did tent camping sell out last year? What about car camping?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-21-2011, 01:01 PM
guys, relax. Its like hotel rooms. They go quickly so people can plan better. We should be looking into how well the 3 day pass is selling.

KungFuJoe
When did tent camping sell out last year? What about car camping?

Not for at least a month i think.

JustSteve
Any smart person would buy a bunch of the car spots as they remain and make some $.

smart? or douchey? some of us have a certain love and spirit for this festival, scalping does not come into play.

aphrael
01-21-2011, 01:03 PM

Life interferes. I had a meeting from 10-11.30, then went off to go implement some of the things discussed at the meeting so I wouldn't forget it. By the time I looked up and remembered, around 12.30, tent tickets were sold out.

This isn't unreasonable given previous years sell-out rates. It's something of a surprise that tent tickets sold out too soon, and it really suggests either an underestimation of car-vs-tent demand on Goldenvoice's part, scalpers, or an unusually high interest in this year's festival.

Instantly? Camping tickets haven't sold out that quickly in previous years, and festival tickets are often still available in March.

Now, I wouldn't wait until March (I've bought my tickets already). But given experience with tickets being available that late in the season, it's not unreasonable to believe there are a couple of hours in which to buy a ticket without getting stressed about the time.

KungFuJoe
01-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Honestly, i think it's shitty of the Coachella organizers to not offer early bird specials for those of us die hard fans that follow this shit 24/7. I would've certainly bought tickets already. However, with the lineup, the fact that tent camping is already gone, plus other variables, I think me & my group of about a dozen are now going to skip this year.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Honestly, i think it's shitty of the Coachella organizers to not offer early bird specials for those of us die hard fans that follow this shit 24/7. I would've certainly bought tickets already. However, with the lineup, the fact that tent camping is already gone, plus other variables, I think me & my group of about a dozen are now going to skip this year.

Couldn't you have bought them on layaway for like, the past few weeks?

KungFuJoe
01-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Sure could have, but I'm talking about throwing the hard core fans a little discounted bone here. Lots of other festivals do it. There's no way I'm dropping over $400 now for a ticket + car camping. Not after last years shit show. As great as this festival is I think I'd be wiser spending my monies on other things this year.

PlayaDelWes
01-21-2011, 01:13 PM
What's so wrong with car camping?

aphrael
01-21-2011, 01:17 PM
What's so wrong with car camping?

I haven't experienced car camping, because I couldn't go last year, but:

(a) it provides no option for people who came in via public transit and don't have a car (unless they can share space with someone who has a car);

(b) the cars break up the tent communities, increase distance, etc

(c) noise + exhaust from people running their car engines

Given (b) and (c), I would much prefer not to be camping in a parking lot ... but i'd prefer to be camping in a parking lot to not camping. :)

JustSteve
01-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Sure could have, but I'm talking about throwing the hard core fans a little discounted bone here. Lots of other festivals do it. There's no way I'm dropping over $400 now for a ticket + car camping. Not after last years shit show. As great as this festival is I think I'd be wiser spending my monies on other things this year.

you could have bought camping for a discounted price of $55 many weeks ago, so just...shut...up.

Junket
01-21-2011, 01:21 PM
^ i dont think anybody cares though unfortunately lol

a dozen people out of tens of thousands wont change anything

Junket
01-21-2011, 01:23 PM

while i do agree with this post..

"there wasnt one to be had" is wrong lol

me and my girl showed up on saturday and were in within an hour or so

Sexecutioner
01-21-2011, 01:25 PM
wow, i dont camp, but this would piss me off. you'd think they'd allocate more tent camping spots to start with and be more prepared for the high demand, but i've never planned a festival, so i guess i cant really talk.

KungFuJoe
01-21-2011, 01:33 PM
you could have bought camping for a discounted price of $55 many weeks ago, so just...shut...up.

Well, unfortunately I missed the boat on that / Never got wind of it. $20 is not that big of a deal anyhow. It would simply be nice if Coachella was better with there PR because I'm sick of the pompous attitude you always get when trying to ask a question. Comes with the territory of this festival I suppose.

Aren't you on the inside anyways & get to attend this festival for free with no worries? If that's the case these matters shouldn't interest you & you should be the one to just ... shut ... up.

JustSteve
01-21-2011, 01:34 PM
you didn't get wind? but...

Honestly, i think it's shitty of the Coachella organizers to not offer early bird specials for those of us die hard fans that follow this shit 24/7.

KungFuJoe
01-21-2011, 01:37 PM
yeah well, maybe I was exaggerating a bit so go fuck yourself. I don't follow it that closely. Still a couple of times a week & I should've spotted something. Or perhaps an email would've been nice since I'm signed up on the mailing list. Nope, not a word. Where was this announced anyways?

and like I said I could give a fuck about $20 discount on the camping.

baily
01-21-2011, 01:38 PM
while i do agree with this post..

"there wasnt one to be had" is wrong lol

me and my girl showed up on saturday and were in within an hour or so

I'm surprised as we saw many many people looking. We sat and had a few beers and watched many people come and go unable to find tickets.

I looked on Craigslist to see if I could find last min. tickets for friends (note that I live in Indio area) and none were avail. The local rock station had 2 promotions for 'free ticket give aways' ...there were hundreds upon hundreds that showed up for a chance at 2 tickets.

Ebay the week before was selling at $800 - per ticket

Each day coming and going to the festival we saw many people trying to get tickets ...and they failed.

Glad it worked for you...know you were in the minority from what we saw.

shoegazer76
01-21-2011, 01:39 PM

Prove to GPS your hard core & you will get a bone thrown to you.

shoegazer76
01-21-2011, 01:39 PM
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae199/mindpod/imagesCABZYCE8.jpg

TENT CAMPING SOLD OUT!!!!!!!!!

baily
01-21-2011, 01:41 PM
yeah well, maybe I was exaggerating a bit so go fuck yourself. I don't follow it that closely. Still a couple of times a week & I should've spotted something. Or perhaps an email would've been nice since I'm signed up on the mailing list. Nope, not a word. Where was this announced anyways?

and like I said I could give a fuck about $20 discount on the camping.

Coach - get the car camping and trade someone for the reg. camping. I'd bet you could even find a scalper on ebay to switch you out.

Better to get the car camping now and be able to switch out rather than in 24 hours when that sells out being stuck with nothing.

There are NO HOTELS available in the area. Everything is sold out unless you are willing to spend $250+ per night.

KungFuJoe
01-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Whatever. I don't want to fight on the internets. I'm happy this shit sold out. Makes the decision even more easy for me to not go this year.

shoegazer76
01-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Jesus people buy a fucking car camping pass. I'm sure you can find a ride with somebody else. Make a friend on the board that has a car you can pool in. Not that difficult to figure out.

baily
01-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Whatever. I don't want to fight on the internets. I'm happy this shit sold out. Makes the decision even more easy for me to not go this year.

Quitters never win

Winners never quit

Junket
01-21-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm surprised as we saw many many people looking. We sat and had a few beers and watched many people come and go unable to find tickets.

I looked on Craigslist to see if I could find last min. tickets for friends (note that I live in Indio area) and none were avail. The local rock station had 2 promotions for 'free ticket give aways' ...there were hundreds upon hundreds that showed up for a chance at 2 tickets.

Ebay the week before was selling at $800 - per ticket

Each day coming and going to the festival we saw many people trying to get tickets ...and they failed.

Glad it worked for you...know you were in the minority from what we saw.

i definitely know i was in the minority.. i saw people fiending to get in by the dozens haha

we just decided to drive out there from LA and say fuck it.. we offered to give these 2 dudes a ride from craigslist just to help them out. and they ended up having a friend who was selling his passes.

coachella karma is nice

Vic Viper
01-21-2011, 01:58 PM
I haven't experienced car camping, because I couldn't go last year, but:

(a) it provides no option for people who came in via public transit and don't have a car (unless they can share space with someone who has a car);

(b) the cars break up the tent communities, increase distance, etc

(c) noise + exhaust from people running their car engines

Given (b) and (c), I would much prefer not to be camping in a parking lot ... but i'd prefer to be camping in a parking lot to not camping. :)
i car camped last year and i have to imagine (a) affects a pretty small portion of the coachella population. sucks, but thats sort of what tent camping was for last year. if they waited too long and tent camping was not an option, then they learned that coachella is not something you can do last-minute and not expect to have issues.

however, (c) was definitely not a problem for me at least. most people tended to run their cars at reasonable times of the day, and the exhaust wasn't really an issue. there were certainly much bigger problems (showers mainly) than that.

(b) though is a real downer. its the reason that i'm really pushing my friends to do tent camping this year. the car camping, while fun and a little more convenient being next to the vehicle, just felt "wrong" with the whole vibe of the festival. i've camped every year and having that sensation of being instant neighbors with everyone dissipated with the cars being in the way, and not taking that 8am morning stroll to your vehicle to change/get food/whatever is something i didn't think i'd miss but i did. car camping just felt...wrong.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-21-2011, 02:20 PM
I have never seen someone get as completely lit up in a thread as KungFuJoe has in this one.

KungFuJoe
01-21-2011, 02:24 PM
I have never seen someone get as completely lit up in a thread as KungFuJoe has in this one.

hahaha I find that hard to believe. It was a minor lapse.

frozen pilgrim
01-21-2011, 02:28 PM

fair response and I didn't mean to insinuate that there was intentional fuckery. just that the physical opportunity to get the pass on the regular onsale didn't present itself due to the circumstance you just described.

anyways, thanks to the kindness and help of boardies, I think this is all sorted out for me at least. but holy hell, was that ever scary.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-21-2011, 02:29 PM
hahaha I find that hard to believe. It was a minor lapse.

I dunno, bro. "This is bullshit they should have made tickets available to us diehards that follow 24/7" + you being so non-diehard and/or stupid that you didn't buy tickets/passes during the 3 week presale + getting called on it = pretty big fuckup.

TheScenestar
01-21-2011, 02:39 PM

They did offer a discount for people that did layaway. The prices went up after they announced the lineup. That sounds like a bone being thrown to fans.

frozen pilgrim
01-21-2011, 02:42 PM
they did throw us a bone. I cocked up my budgeting this year and didn't have my shit together until this week. thankfully it looks like I've been sorted, but yeah. I should have got mine on layaway.

KungFuJoe
01-21-2011, 02:49 PM
yeah yeah yeah I failed. 1) For wasting my energy in the first place & getting worked up over nothing. 2) For not taking notice of the layaway deal. I'm just angry because I'll be missing Coach this year because of work commitments & feelings of this lineup not being worth my money. C'est la vie.

aphrael
01-21-2011, 03:23 PM
i have to imagine (a) affects a pretty small portion of the coachella population.

Right, but it pretty much hoses them if they don't want to stay in a (much more expensive) hotel and take a shuttle - all of the other reasonable options aren't within walking distance in Indio mid-spring heat.

I understand it's impractical but - as someone who didn't drive until he was 30 - I do sorta wish there were a way to distinguish the "tent camping is the only way i can go" crowd from the "tent camping is better" crowd and serve the first crowd first.

connorp
01-21-2011, 03:42 PM
they did throw us a bone. I cocked up my budgeting this year and didn't have my shit together until this week. thankfully it looks like I've been sorted, but yeah. I should have got mine on layaway.

so did you get a tent camping pass then?

frozen pilgrim
01-21-2011, 04:35 PM
there's a couple things afloat, it appears as though someone's gonna bail me out, just awaiting confirmation. I have a back up plan though. and a back up back up plan.

suprefan
01-21-2011, 04:42 PM
And people doubted shit wouldnt happen in the first day.

frozen pilgrim
01-21-2011, 04:55 PM
chris, I've been having one of those "I can't believe this is happening to ME" days. it's wacky.

gaypalmsprings
01-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Prove to GPS your hard core & you will get a bone thrown to you.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41B%2BwsF%2Ba9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

tsweezy
01-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Would it be advised that I buy my festival pass very soon then?

gaypalmsprings
01-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Car camping is gone, too.

BROKENDOLL
01-21-2011, 07:06 PM

those are for car camping, which isn't sold out. seller is an imbecile.

The festival draws people from all over the world. This is one event where people buy tickets before any lineup is concerned....yea I know...it's not late breaking news....

but this festival will sell out.

Car camping will be sold out in a day or two

camping general IS sold out - unless you want that 1k option...which seems retarded.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/MY%20CREATIVE%20MIND/god2.jpg

Danny
01-21-2011, 07:10 PM
this is fucking ridiculas, i might have to end up camping offsite, is it much different?

BROKENDOLL
01-21-2011, 07:20 PM

Luca dear, breathe in, now breathe out...You know Pete and I aren't gonna let you roam the campgrounds like some homeless transient... Of course, you'll have to deal with car camping, but I'm willing to give up bringing some of the unnecessary crap I just had to have last year to make more space. I can get by with 1 set of rope lights instead of 3. LOL

And remember...we have your EZ up in our storage if I recall.

Vic Viper
01-21-2011, 07:23 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/MY%20CREATIVE%20MIND/god2.jpg

it wasn't sold out at the time of my original comment.