PDA

View Full Version : My bitchy rant thread 2011

instinct
01-20-2011, 02:18 PM
So I've been on these boards for a while now (EZ-Boards) and have been going to Coachella since 2004.. I never really post on here anymore because Coachella has seemed to turn into something different, which I am not to crazy about. These boards are way to hard to keep up with even off-season, so I have decided to stay away from them.

Regarding the line-up, it seems as if Coachella started off as a festival VERY big into Underground Hip-Hop, Electronic Music, Turntablism, Trip-Hop and more "urban" style music. It's always has huge Rock headliners.. but the festival seemed to be less indie rock oriented than it is now.. Maybe I'm not progressive or something, or maybe I am just getting old, but I would kill 1999's line-up. It just seems to be filled with hipster bands that are decent but they kind of sound the same and generic. Electronic music has gone to shit with more "pop" style EDM.. Erick Morillo, David Guetta, DeadMau5.. etc.

I am alone? Does anyone else feel like this?

http://coachella.com/util/gallery_image.php?id=211

Feel free to flame away..

WhyTheLongFace
01-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Is this gonna be a yearly thing with you?

instinct
01-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Yup! Just one thread a year!

FreshLaundry
01-20-2011, 02:23 PM
you're way too hard to keep up with IMO

GuyInTucson
01-20-2011, 02:24 PM
So I've been on these boards for a while now (EZ-Boards) and have been going to Coachella since 2004.. I never really post on here anymore because Coachella has seemed to turn into something different, which I am not to crazy about. These boards are way to hard to keep up with even off-season, so I have decided to stay away from them.

Regarding the line-up, it seems as if Coachella started off as a festival VERY big into Underground Hip-Hop, Electronic Music, Turntablism, Trip-Hop and more "urban" style music. It's always has huge Rock headliners.. but the festival seemed to be less indie rock oriented than it is now.. Maybe I'm not progressive or something, or maybe I am just getting old, but I would kill 1999's line-up. It just seems to be filled with hipster bands that are decent but they kind of sound the same and generic. Electronic music has gone to shit with more "pop" style EDM.. Erick Morillo, David Guetta, DeadMau5.. etc.

I am alone? Does anyone else feel like this?

http://coachella.com/util/gallery_image.php?id=211

Feel free to flame away..

All of this is STILL there. It does lack in underground hip hop now, but "underground" hip hop, indie rap, backpack rap or whatever else you want to call it has been dying since the early 2000's and now it's just plain bad.

That's why you see artists like B.O.B, Wiz Khalifa, and Jay Electronica getting booked at festivals all over while "emcees" like Sage Francis and Brother Ali aren't playing these fests very much. Nerd rap destroyed the underground.

rose925
01-20-2011, 02:26 PM
jurassic 5
dope

moomoo
01-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Is this gonna be a yearly thing with you?

Haha.

I agree with you perhaps on the hip-hop and trip-hop, but I definitely disagree with you about EDM becoming more 'pop'. Look at that 1999 poster, Moby, Chemical Bros, and arguably even Underworld were all extremely popular at the time. In no way am I comparing their style/music to Tiesto, Guetta, or Deadmau5, but those were huge 'pop' EDM acts at the time just like Tiesto, Guetta and Mau5 are unfortunately popular today.

You especially can't make that argument for this year. Sasha, Sven Vath, Trentemoller, Leftfield, Shpongle, Green Velvet etc are all extreme and unique influences on electronic music. But would you consider them 'pop' EDM? Not many people even know who they are at all.

Seems like you are digging really, really hard for something to bitch about.

iammrcandyman
01-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Hate to break it to you man, but you're getting older. 1999 was 12 years ago, music has changed. Compare music in 1999 to music from 1987 and you might see what I'm trying to say.

EDM has exploded into popularity these last few years, while rap and the like seem to be fading.

Rock music has changed from bands like Soundgarden and RATM, to more indie style bands.

The world changes, and we are left with a choice. We can end up like most of our parents, listening to oldies stations that will eventually play the bands we are familiar with, and look band on "the good ol' days" or we can move on and listen to what a new generation of musicians has to offer.

CrimesceneCookie
01-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Coachella has always been a cross of hipsters and ravers. I don't know what festival you've been going to if you haven't seen that.
I don't get all the hipster hate. I guess people need to invent things to get upset about.

"oh man I went to that show and there were all these hipsters there!"

"really, what were they doing?"

"standing there watching the band! oh they were wearing hats too."

"bastards!"

rose925
01-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Hate to break it to you man, but you're getting older. 1999 was 12 years ago, music has changed. Compare music in 1999 to music from 1987 and you might see what I'm trying to say.

NICELY PUT

Workingmenrises
01-20-2011, 02:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/HQjaK.png

unknown
01-20-2011, 02:33 PM
I think there is a tremendous amount of electronic music on this year's lineup. I have several friends who went to the first 2-4 Coachellas and stopped due to the decreasing amount of electronic music that they enjoyed being featured and they are definitely planning on returning this year thanks to the lineup. Being a huge fan of dnb and this forward bass movement I am loving the lineup.

instinct
01-20-2011, 02:39 PM

EDM has exploded into popularity these last few years, while rap and the like seem to be fading.

Rock music has changed from bands like Soundgarden and RATM, to more indie style bands.

The world changes, and we are left with a choice. We can end up like most of our parents, listening to oldies stations that will eventually play the bands we are familiar with, and look band on "the good ol' days" or we can move on and listen to what a new generation of musicians has to offer.

Fuck! You are probably right, I was only 12 in 1999 though.. Even as I get older I am getting more into rap music from the 80's that I was too young for before, and wishing "I could have been there"...

Haha.

I agree with you perhaps on the hip-hop and trip-hop, but I definitely disagree with you about EDM becoming more 'pop'. Look at that 1999 poster, Moby, Chemical Bros, and arguably even Underworld were all extremely popular at the time. In no way am I comparing their style/music to Tiesto, Guetta, or Deadmau5, but those were huge 'pop' EDM acts at the time just like Tiesto, Guetta and Mau5 are unfortunately popular today.

You especially can't make that argument for this year. Sasha, Sven Vath, Trentemoller, Leftfield, Shpongle, Green Velvet etc are all extreme and unique influences on electronic music. But would you consider them 'pop' EDM? Not many people even know who they are at all.

Seems like you are digging really, really hard for something to bitch about.

True, Underworld, Chemical Brothers and Moby are still huge names though.. and can still headline festivals.. Their music just seemed less superficial than Guetta or DeadMau5. I actually like Tiesto's older trance stuff, but I'm not digging him with Three 6 Mafia.

Been a long time Sasha fan, but am kind of skeptical that he might play some wack progressive or something. I will probably see all those that you mentioned, but that's pretty spread out for 3 days.. but I probably have to do some research. I know there are probably some gems I will find; like I did with Modeselektor, Buraka Som Sistema from previous years.

NachoCat
01-20-2011, 02:40 PM
:nonoEveryone is so Jaded.

LunaVC
01-20-2011, 02:42 PM
that poster looks the bomb

I don't mind this years lineup I just hate the fact that there are so many acts that have come back.

I have nothing against Chemical Brothers in reality or Gogol Bordello. I enjoyed Bordello at Coachella 08. I just think of acts that are to come back many of them on the lineup are quite odd.

Like, what did you miss from seeing Chemicals or Gogol the first time that you need to see them again. Or if you saw them on tv what are you missing? Them sampling Noel Gallagher through their Apple Mac?

I mean I think Oasis are past it as a band but they would be awesome to have at Coachella, one of the best memories of 08 was singing Purple Rain with some hot American chicks as I was getting leaving to get lost in the desert for 4 hours.

Good times

doggie3343
01-20-2011, 02:42 PM
I think when GV was planing a music festival in little known Indio they must had to have more established bands in order for people to come out to the middle of the desert. Over the years Coachella has built a devoted fan base of people who come out for the experiance. Now GV has such a bank roll they can experiment with the line up to see what works and what doesn't and not worry about there being mony in the bank for next years festival.

And . .

Originally Posted by iammrcandyman

Workingmenrises
01-20-2011, 02:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/GVcX4.png

SHUT THE FUCK UP

Natelevmofuggaz
01-20-2011, 02:58 PM

This is an excellent point. I don't know, I think today's Flying Lotus, Daedelus, Mount Kimbie, Joy Orbison, Nosaj Thing, Ras G, and Take are essentially yesterday's Autechre, Amon Tobin, DJ Shadow, u-ziq, Luke Vibert, Bola, and Mira Calix (although where the fuck is DJ Shadow this year? Jesus.)

In ten years people will look at this lineup once some new form of underground electronic/dance music has emerged and say "damn where did all the strange underground acts go, all we have now is all this ___ music."

I think in someways the quality of the lineup has diminished in the sense that there is a lot more fucking POP music and less unique acts, but overall there is still a good amount of quality acts playing over the three days. That being said I am a firm believer that Coachella should be weirder in terms of music. (Make like a primavera and throw someone like fucking Ben Frost in the mix plz.)

Natelevmofuggaz
01-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Oh and we should all remember that Coachella LOST money in 1999 and weren't able to bring the festival band in 2000. There are huge acts like Kanye so that festival can live on and be the diverse beast that it is.

Ajaxe
01-20-2011, 03:06 PM
I don't get all the hipster hate. I guess people need to invent things to get upset about.

"bastards!"

:) This board loves to hate!

instinct
01-20-2011, 10:07 PM
I was hoping to get a little more flamed in this thread, but I am glad some people know where I am coming from.

mlant
01-20-2011, 11:39 PM
Well said.
Upwards and onwards.
This will be my 9th Coachella, and as Oasis says "you've gotta roll with it."

Coachella has always been a cross of hipsters and ravers. I don't know what festival you've been going to if you haven't seen that.

"bastards!"