PDA

View Full Version : Coachella 1999, did anyone here go?

Electrotek
01-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Curious to hear about your experiences at the first Coachella ever

vinylmartyr
01-20-2011, 02:14 PM
I was there.

Courtney
01-20-2011, 02:19 PM
I was there at the first Can show in Cologne.

doggie3343
01-20-2011, 02:21 PM
I was in High school when my friend bought a Ford 250 with a camper and decide to drive to Coachella. My over protective mom denied me.

algunz
01-20-2011, 02:26 PM
I was there. It was wonderful. It was so open, yet intimate. I miss the early days.

thedude15
01-20-2011, 02:33 PM
headliners

Tool and Rage Against the Machine

Crap I would pay $200+ just to see those two bands play.

blackchango
01-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Right here ! My friends and I showed up to the fields in an RV on Thursday around midnight not knowing what to expect. The fields were empty and completely pitch dark with not a soul in site. We got drunk and partied and ran around like idiots for a few hours until we were greeted by these two big black security dudes in a golf cart. They were very cool but told us we had to bounce. We drove down the road and found Lake Cahuilla and ended up camping for the evening. Morrissey, Pavement, The Chemical Brothers, Beck and Cibbomato were some of the highlights that year. I have gone every year after that ever since !

invisiblerobots
01-20-2011, 02:53 PM
I had a great time. I had no idea what to expect but took a chance and flew down from Seattle. It was extremely laid back and well organized and kept me coming back for several subsequent visits.

Sexecutioner
01-20-2011, 02:55 PM
i was there the first day, and had my ass kicked by rage and tool back to back. the fields were practicably empty compared to these days.

billtino
01-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Yes. It felt like 120 degrees that weekend, and there were still fools dress like Fonzy from Happy Days with the leather jacket. We were so f'n burnt from Day 1 that we opted to stay indoors in Palm Springs (no onsite camping yet) and wait for the sun to go down on Day 2. I think we saw a movie at the local theater. I remember Tool was amazing. Maynard in his gimp suit + the naked bald couple suspended in the air...Day two got beat up pretty bad jumping from mosh pit to mosh pit during Rage.

CrimesceneCookie
01-20-2011, 03:40 PM
I was there working a vendor booth. Sold a shit ton of glowsticks.
Came back as a spectator in 2003 and have been back every year since.

Mr.Nipples
01-20-2011, 04:58 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/Picture24.png

thedevious
01-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Saturday was arguably the single greatest festival day of all time. The 2nd stage faced directly into the blazing sun, massive sound bleed from the Sahara. Free terrycloth hats and water to soak them with from the artist direct tent. Both days were filled with delicious conflicts from beginning to end.

To this day 99 was easily the best Coachella ever, lineup says it all.

iBurn
01-20-2011, 05:57 PM
I drove from Lake Havasu with my bros. Just cam for day two Oct 10th. Yep, in the fall. paid 60bucks for a ticket from a scalper. Not too maney people. GV lost money that year.The venue seemed so big and not nearly as crowded as is has been since 2004 when radiohead played. I found out that some new band called A perfect Circle played the day before, and Maynard was the signer. WTF, that blew my mind. Def would have come both days. Tool was amazing. Took some E and saw these two naked dancers swinging above the stage by chains. They seemed to move into each other and turn into one person. I still dont understand how I saw that. Rage opened up for them, But Zac had a fucked case of laryngitis. He still came out and kicked our ass.
2001 was even better. Just a one day party. I drove out that morning after having a rager at my house in SAN DIEGO. Had an awesome time just being there and parting with my brother and BF. I dont even remember who played that year. Who cares? You go there to have fun. To party. I look at the line up as secondary. I have gone to festivals where I didnt know a single name on the lineup and had just as much fun as coachella."joshua tree music fest" " Lightning in a bottle" "burning Man"
The music is just the soundtrack to your weekend. The people is is where the real party is at. Could you really have fun if you were the only one on the whole grass, but all those bands were still playing. Cool, but not that cool.
I have been to 10 Coachellas now. Golden Voice has really made the party better every year. They got a DR of crowd dynamics to plan arrivals and departures and toilet placement, food needs, ect. Then they got camping in 2004. Huge upgrade to not have to drive home drunk. Thats what happened back in the day. Everyone had to leave every night. Then in 2010 they finally let us bring in our beer to the party. That was pretty lame to make us buy $7 beers for a three day party. Never again. They use to plan the event to land on a full moon. Not so much any more. Having cell phones work out there was a big help. I dont remember when but its very cool. Charging stations, Free water if you have a cup. 10 for 1 bottle recycling really cleaned up the grass. It used to be complely covered in plastic at midnight. Oh the late shows past curfew is awesome too. They pay like $10,000 a minute past 12AM. So they are just being cool to let us keep dancing for 30 min because they know we want to even though they lose 300k from their bottem line. Based on the improvements I see, I believe they have must have a think tank that deals with each individual problem at a time. They listen to the people. They really want us to have a good time.But, They also want money. Its not Burning Man.
Some things I really hope they work on for this year:
More showers: Open 24 hours;
Less General Addmission; it was way too much last year
more interactive art
Have fun guys. Love and light.

ivankay
01-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Free terrycloth hats and water to soak them with from the artist direct tent.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs052.snc1/2924_75157831714_685531714_1814773_8388483_n.jpg

Still wear mine to Coachella. Whenever i think i lose it, a major piece of my soul gets crushed. When i find it, absolute elation.

Electrotek
01-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Great stuff guys! Keep it going!

And if possible scan and post pics from that time!

EndersRapture
01-20-2011, 10:28 PM
That's awesome. I'm jealous of those who got to go to the first one, so I like hearing your experiences too =)

shotglass75
01-20-2011, 10:35 PM
I am envious

nationocean
01-20-2011, 11:59 PM
I heart this thread, I want to hug it. Only been going for 7 years and still envious of those who got to go the first year. You are all pioneers of awesome :)

billtino
01-21-2011, 12:03 AM
you are right Iburn. I got my days mixed up. All the Morrissey look alikes were there Day1. I actually met the bald couple that was dangling up in the air during Tool's set when they were walking to the Sahara Tent on Day1. Seemed like the distance between the stage and sahara was waaaaay longer sans all of the vendor booths & exhibits we have now. I was honestly not too impressed with the 1st Coachella after being blown away my first festival earlier that Summer at Rome, NY. That's probably why it took so long for me to come back.

brokenDREAMS
01-21-2011, 12:50 AM
Nice! This thread inspired me to dl a live set from that year feat. DJ Qbert, Mix Master Mike, Invisibl Skratch Piklz, and Rahzel! Dj Shadow was outstanding that year.

Still my favorite of all the years i've gone. Don't miss the sea of plastic bottles after the show though (water was free as well).

Justin170
01-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Beck was so amazing!

ivankay
01-21-2011, 12:59 AM
Nice! This thread inspired me to dl a live set from that year feat. DJ Qbert, Mix Master Mike, Invisibl Skratch Piklz, and Rahzel! Dj Shadow was outstanding that year.

This. This is also the first overflowing tent i encountered at a Coachella.

The Midnight Vultures Beck show was so fun. Seeing Art of Noise at the time thrilled me. That was my first "Never thought i'd see these guys...Wow! i'm seeing these guys" set at a Coachella.

i've said this before, my favorite 99 moment was during Moby's live set. He was going on about this incredible place we were at and had the lights turned off so we could soak in the stars.

weareyourfriends
01-21-2011, 01:40 AM
Huell Howser = megasexx

The Dude
02-01-2011, 11:03 AM
I remember wandering into Underworlds set and having my taste in music seriously altered. :)

neverclever
02-01-2011, 11:21 AM
It was my first time seeing a load of bands! Modest Mouse were still a three piece band and Isaac Brock had a broken jaw. Some foreign girl asked me if Underworld played "Born Slippy" over and over because I couldn't understand her accent. SFA was really energetic still. Chemical Brothers won me over that night. I skipped the 2nd night despite Pavement.

nathanfairchild
02-01-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm jealous of all of you, I was 10 when the first Coachella happened but I love just about every band that played that year. Makes me wish I had a time machine.

pewpew87
02-01-2011, 12:02 PM
how much were the tickets back then?

dancefreak
02-01-2011, 12:16 PM
how much were the tickets back then?

my ticket is long gone, but they looked like this....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3422/3876509127_c2b6ed494f.jpg

Suffacated
02-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Nice. And the dust. Getting to and from the parking areas was an experience in itself.

Subaru2Coachella
02-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Can anyone post some pics?? I want to see how sparse the crowd was...

grannock
02-01-2011, 12:53 PM
headliners

Tool and Rage Against the Machine

Crap I would pay $200+ just to see those two bands play.

Two of the best California based bands in the past 20 years, easily.

PapaDill
02-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I was there at the first Can show in Cologne.

I heard that you have a white label of every seminal Detroit techno hit - 1985, '86, '87.

crombrenner
02-01-2011, 01:58 PM
I was there. The first thing that I remember is how blistering the heat was. The layout was similar but not as accomidating. Not as much artwork, shade was at a premium, and water lines were long. That being said, the music was amazing!! Tool and Rage both tore it up, even though Zack had laryngitis. Pavement was a mess, they were all wasted and they sounded like shit. I wasn't into electronic music yet so I missed out on some stuff I wish I would have seen. When I left that year, I had no idea that the fest would become such an important part of my life. Once they shifted it to April I knew I was going to be a "lifer" and I haven't missed one yet. Never will BTW. Oh, the memories!!

artisticcreator
02-01-2011, 02:54 PM
I still wear my Terry Cloth hat from Artist Direct every year. Easy to stuff in my pocket when the sun goes down.

I feel the same way about mine as IvanKay on page 1.

It's a part of my Coachella life!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1245/4602568936_641e02c3a7.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/4602568936/) Tiger Man & AJVaughn.com (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/4602568936/) by AJVaughn.com (http://www.flickr.com/people/alanjvaughn/), on Flickr

ivankay
02-01-2011, 02:56 PM
^Coachella Brother.

momof5
02-01-2011, 05:39 PM
We have gone every year-probably because the first one was fantastic. My oldest daughter got me to go-we have always gone to shows-and so off we went. I would have to say the Chemical Bros. were awesome-I had never seen/heard anything like it! It seemed like they were communicating with aliens!!! And the desert night sky was incredible. so we have not missed a day since and have brought along other kids each year.

algunz
02-01-2011, 05:51 PM
i've said this before, my favorite 99 moment was during Moby's live set. He was going on about this incredible place we were at and had the lights turned off so we could soak in the stars.

Ugh, you just made my panties moist. I sooooo remember this moment. I think it was truly the moment that made me realize that this polo ground would forever be a part of my life. :p

(Granted I almost gave up on GV because I had to wait an extra year, but when Jane's was announced for 01 I fell in love all over again. :pulse)

kikeg80
02-01-2011, 11:48 PM
I was there, or i mean here. i moved to Indio from orange county, now i live right next to the polo grounds.

Boris
02-02-2011, 04:20 AM
Yes I am a proud veteran of all 11 Coachellas. After a dismal trip to Woodstock 99 my friends and I took a chance and did a road trip out to Coachella in October of that year.
Attending my 12 Coachella in April.

GaragePoet
02-02-2011, 09:01 PM
my bro & i were at the first one. i was 19 at the time, he called me up one summer & asked if i wanted to see Rage w/ Tool & DJ Shadow & a bunch of other bands... that was enough to sell me on it, but i still think the line-up stands as the best Coachella's ever put together. we vowed that weekend that we would be back again if they ever had it, and we haven't missed one since...

wow, i was so out of my mind on acid during this set (i dropped during DJ Shadow at sunset, which was great) that i was convinced the tent was digesting everybody inside of it... true story.

brokenDREAMS
02-02-2011, 10:12 PM
the line-up stands as the best Coachella's ever put together.

THIS.

wow, i was so out of my mind on acid during this set (i dropped during DJ Shadow at sunset, which was great) that i was convinced the tent was digesting everybody inside of it... true story.

haha.. i was peaking during shadow's set from mushrooms, which was Fantastic!

cjamesgo8421
02-02-2011, 10:21 PM
love this thread!

lisa pea
02-04-2011, 06:44 PM
The best part of 99 was arriving there and having no idea what to expect. It was by far my favorite year.
Crazy hot though since it was in October. I was watching Bis and happened to turn around just in time to see some guy smiling behind me. Then his eyes rolled back and he fell to the ground. I imagine there was a lot that the first year.

cheeksneak
02-04-2011, 08:35 PM
We didn't have digital cameras like we do now so pictures are harder to post. It was rad though.

mlant
02-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Just wanted to give a big shout of thanks to all you 99ers out there! Thanks to you the festival gained traction which made it possible for all of us to get out to the desert as well.
I've been going ever year since 2002, except 2004 when I was out of the country. This will be my 9th Coachella and the friends I've made and the music I've seen have made me who I am. I owe you all a debt of gratitude, as well as Goldenvoice of course.
Keep posting your stories please, I'm loving living vicariously.

CHEERS!

And if anyone has crowd pics of any of the early years I'm sure we'd all love to see how things have changed.

Electrotek
03-27-2014, 11:49 AM
Have to bump this.

mikey1313666
03-27-2014, 01:45 PM
Have to bump this.

Thank you for the bump

Great read.

Electrotek
03-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Thank you for the bump

Great read.

No problem! Always wanted to go to the first ever Coachella with a lineup that is more catered to my musical tastes back when I was in high school.

Sheldorrr
03-27-2014, 02:31 PM
No problem! Always wanted to go to the first ever Coachella with a lineup that is more catered to my musical tastes back when I was in high school.

I'm ashamed to say that for me this would be going to Warped Tour

BROKENDOLL
03-27-2014, 02:58 PM
I'm ashamed to say that for me this would be going to Warped Tour
Can't be anymore shameful than actually living out there on the polo grounds and not going the first year... :(

heart cooks brain
03-27-2014, 03:22 PM
you are right Iburn. I got my days mixed up. All the Morrissey look alikes were there Day1. I actually met the bald couple that was dangling up in the air during Tool's set when they were walking to the Sahara Tent on Day1. Seemed like the distance between the stage and sahara was waaaaay longer sans all of the vendor booths & exhibits we have now. I was honestly not too impressed with the 1st Coachella after being blown away my first festival earlier that Summer at Rome, NY. That's probably why it took so long for me to come back.

i'm concerned for your sanity.

Sheldorrr
03-27-2014, 03:33 PM
i'm concerned for your sanity.

Was this first festival in Rome, NY the one called Woodstock '99 where all that awful shit went down? I'm going to have to side with hcb on this one.

malcolmjamalawesome
03-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Just wanted to give a big shout of thanks to all you 99ers out there! Thanks to you the festival gained traction which made it possible for all of us to get out to the desert as well.
I've been going ever year since 2002, except 2004 when I was out of the country. This will be my 9th Coachella and the friends I've made and the music I've seen have made me who I am. I owe you all a debt of gratitude, as well as Goldenvoice of course.
Keep posting your stories please, I'm loving living vicariously.

CHEERS!

And if anyone has crowd pics of any of the early years I'm sure we'd all love to see how things have changed.

God, what a pussy.

truthinfinite
03-31-2014, 05:31 AM
Righteous. Agreed.

Boris
04-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Came out on a road trip from Austin in 1999.I have been lucky enough to make it out every year since.Got offered a production job with Goldenvoice last year and worked both weeks.Got to check out and enjoy the artist when my shifts were done,worked out great.Attending this year (not working) both weeks and celebrating 15 Coachella's,.Hope to see more Ol'School Coachellans out there. Safe travels all:)

Coachella 99,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13

homersexual
04-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Mlant, this goes back to 2009...hehe

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?72006-The-Grand-Attempt-at-a-Group-Shot-of-Our-Happy-Little-Family-2014-Edition!!

MancYank
04-07-2014, 08:08 PM
I was theeeeere!...I took the city Sunbus bus from Palm Springs and got off in Indio at Highway 111 because the driver said "the polo fields is just down the street".......well, I kept walking and walking (with NO water) and finally got to the entrance what seemed like HOURS later...Bought 2 waters (wheww!!) and a ticket at the box office (50 bux? ) and remember seeing Bis and Cornelius early on....Spiritualized (woowwww) later on and finishing with Morrissey , The Chemical Brothers and Beck......just remember smoking a HUGE joint during The Chem Bros and losing my f-ing mind!! I think its still on the grounds there somewhere... Only went Saturday and didnt go again til 2003 , but have been every year since. :pulse

exile
04-07-2014, 09:23 PM
I was there both days, it was empty compared to the Coachella we know and love today - line up was great. We had our heads so far up our asses about how far it was we drove in and out both days for the show.

doctorz
04-08-2014, 03:19 PM
i waaas there! it was so hot. people were sleeping under the bathroom trailers just to get shade. believe it or not, perry ferral killed it on the main stage, chemical brothers, beck, underworld all amazing. one of the best sets was seeing kool keith in a small and nearly empty tent. liked how the fields were laid out....different entrance, different are for the main and side stages, tents seemed smaller, no lines for anything, would be great to only have 30,000 people show up!

Oakland
11-12-2014, 07:12 PM
If i was even alive back then i would of gone. Sadly I was born in 2003 so I've been going since 2006. I went for Depeche Mode who I now don't like as much. :rotfl

mikey1313666
11-13-2014, 05:36 PM
Would kill for pictures/video of '99

Oakland
11-14-2014, 09:40 PM
Kill who?:yyablo