PDA

View Full Version : Erick Morillo

Cuddlesthesheep
01-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Dudes been around forever, although i know basically nothing about him...

Is this what I should expect??? Seems very... David Guetta..

XyWED2RD3XY

Distorted_Jungle
01-20-2011, 09:01 AM
I used to really like Erick Morillo before I saw him live and he let me down. Track selection wise it's nowhere near as bad as guetta, but I thought he sucked when I saw him at Ultra a few years ago. I will probably catch him this year if nothing else is on hoping he can kill he did back in the day, but if something better is on it will be easy to miss.

sonicc
01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
I used to really like Erick Morillo before I saw him live and he let me down. Track selection wise it's nowhere near as bad as guetta, but I thought he sucked when I saw him at Ultra a few years ago. I will probably catch him this year if nothing else is on hoping he can kill he did back in the day, but if something better is on it will be easy to miss.

LOL! You did not compare Erick Morillo to David Guetta did you? David Guetta is the biggest piece of shit DJ I've ever witnessed live, that being said, he brings a cool vibe just because of who he is.

If you like good soulful house music, TRUE house music, you'll like Erick Morillo. He mentored the Swedish House Mafia and other big DJs. He will kill at Coachella and HIGHLY recommend him to anyone who enjoys good house music.

discobotica
01-20-2011, 12:22 PM
I like to move it move it

GuyInTucson
01-20-2011, 12:22 PM
LOL! You did not compare Erick Morillo to David Guetta did you? David Guetta is the biggest piece of shit DJ I've ever witnessed live, that being said, he brings a cool vibe just because of who he is.

If you like good soulful house music, TRUE house music, you'll like Erick Morillo. He mentored the Swedish House Mafia and other big DJs. He will kill at Coachella and HIGHLY recommend him to anyone who enjoys good house music.

If you would have read the first post you would realize Distorded wasn't the one drawing the comparison.

And calling Erick Morillo a "good soulful house music" and saying he is "TRUE house music" isn't all that accurate. "I like to move it" isn't soulful house music.

You want soulful, TRUE house music, listen to Derrick Carter.

sonicc
01-20-2011, 12:25 PM
If you would have read the first post you would realize Distorded wasn't the one drawing the comparison.

And calling Erick Morillo a "good soulful house music" and saying he is "TRUE house music" isn't all that accurate. "I like to move it" isn't soulful house music.

You want soulful, TRUE house music, listen to Derrick Carter.

You obviously have not seen Erick Morillo live and have NO idea what you're talking about.

And "I Like To Move It" was back in 1993, a LOT has changed since then buddy.

GuyInTucson
01-20-2011, 12:31 PM
I saw Erick Morillo in LA about eight years ago and he was the same boring, cheeseball DJ he has always was. You going to convince me something has changed?

The only issue I really take up with your post is calling him "True house music" and calling it "soulful". It's neither of the two. He plays a lot of cheesy and/or boring progressive house and while that is still house, calling it "true" and "soulful" is not correct.

sonicc
01-20-2011, 12:33 PM
I saw Erick Morillo in LA about eight years ago and he was the same boring, cheeseball DJ he has always was. You going to convince me something has changed?

The only issue I really take up with your post is calling him "True house music" and calling it "soulful". It's neither of the two. He plays a lot of cheesy and/or boring progressive house and while that is still house, calling it "true" and "soulful" is not correct.

8 years ago...

I rest my case.

DaFunkyPrecedent
01-20-2011, 12:34 PM
I will attend this show in hopes to see naked girls rolling their face off.

GuyInTucson
01-20-2011, 12:35 PM
8 years ago...

I rest my case.

Any set I have listened to via internet since then hasn't been drastically different than that. If you rest your case with that argument then you lose.

sonicc
01-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Any set I have listened to via internet since then hasn't been drastically different than that. If you rest your case with that argument then you lose.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Mx-b5ohzM50/TMj6d7ztOWI/AAAAAAAACsE/M6E6DEd4psA/s1600/CongratsCats.jpg

Workingmenrises
01-20-2011, 12:49 PM
http://imgur.com/8QgVs.png

kayeM
01-20-2011, 12:54 PM

this.

Erick Morillo is a legend of house music.. one of the best party dj's i have ever seen... comparing him to guetta is utter blasphemy

Distorted_Jungle
01-20-2011, 03:18 PM

XyWED2RD3XY

This is why I compared Erick Morillo to David Guetta, because he did in the OP. I am a big fan of the first couple Subliminal Winter Sessions cd's he was releasing and was super stoked to see him at Ultra a few years ago. When I get there and he gets on stage it was very underwhelming, not even close to what I was hoping for. This is his chance to change my mind.

GuyInTucson
01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Christ saying Erick Morillo is a legend of house music is like saying Technotronic evolved EDM in the 90's.

LunaVC
01-20-2011, 03:55 PM
HE AIN'T AS SOULFUL AS DENNIS FERRER OR DJ SPEN BUT I LIKE THE BLOKE AND THAT KIND OF MUSIC IS DEF NEEDED AT COACHELLA IMO

wazdog
01-20-2011, 05:30 PM
i can guarantee one thing, if he closes the sahara tent he will def get fined for going overtime. i think last time he played here he kept going for about another 4 or so hours after his set was supposed to finish.

he is nothing like that muppet guetta who now plays pop. haven't heard a set of his in a while so hoping he hasn't gone down that path. hoping he pulls out some old subliminal stuff!

Bleezie
01-20-2011, 05:43 PM
I haven't seen him yet but from what I've heard from various mixes is he covers the full spectrum of house music (tech, funk, deep, tribal, you name it), it just tends to be on the cheesy, vocal side. I'm still down to check him out as long as there are no conflicts for me.

There were talks of it being Erick Morillo along with Harry "Choo Choo" Romero and Jose Nunez. What do you think are the chances they will be added to the bill?

moomoo
01-20-2011, 05:47 PM
"Ft. Shawnee Taylor" on the youtube title was a good enough argument to keep me from seeing him this year. I hate cheesy vocal EDM and she is the queen of it.

kayeM
02-03-2011, 01:48 PM

XyWED2RD3XY

Christ the blond in that video is hot

pdjy32
04-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Thoughts on his set? Wasn't a fan of the female vocals he had and left early ...

ELECtROjan
04-20-2011, 11:16 PM
the 30min or so that I saw had the chick vocalist and was terrible

sonicc
04-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Such potential wasted for his set. Shoulda booted Shawnee Taylor, he's one of my favorite DJs but I had to leave early due to her.

gmoneyak
04-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Grating, was my lasting impression. Could only take a song and a half from outside the back of the tent.

pdjy32
04-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Grating, was my lasting impression. Could only take a song and a half from outside the back of the tent.

+1 ... when she starting singing away, the other fans around me had this WTF look on their faces ... I think everyone in the Sahara tent did?

gmoneyak
04-20-2011, 11:49 PM
From the beginning.

It was a minor letdown for me, I used to like some of Erick Morillo's early stuff back in the late 90's. I was basically just killing time before Cut/Copy.

djjoshchambers
04-21-2011, 09:54 AM
I couldnt agree more with everyone. Except some awesomeness and got nothing but a bowl full of vocal shit. WTF was he doing? Worst set of coachella hands down. That chick completely ruined it for him.

GuyInTucson
04-21-2011, 10:01 AM
After Lauryn Hill (who was awesome), I went to grab a bite to eat and catch the end of Afrojack (which was ok at best from what I caught) and then we sat in the beer garden for a bit before heading over to The Black Keys. In this period, we saw a chunk of Erick Morillo's set and I gotta say his set made everyone that defended him look silly.

"House legends" don't play shitty sets like that.

betao
04-21-2011, 10:06 AM
There were way too many pauses in rhythm with that girl singing. Like lets drop a beat, but then stop it immediately to let her do a vocal solo that extends way too long. I was really looking forward to him but I left after 15 minutes. Meh.

Orbaddict
04-22-2011, 06:46 AM
If I wanted to hear RHCP I'd go see them instead. When he dropped that track, my friends and I looked around at each other and said "Done" & promptly left.

Gavin