PDA

View Full Version : Coachella - Changing Times?

TheScaryOne
01-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Remember two or three years ago when everyone was complaining that Coachella was trying to appeal to an older crowd with Paul McCartney and Leonard Cohen? Hell, I guess Portishead, My Bloody Valentine, The Cure and Faith No More would all be geezer music this year. It's odd now that this supposed target demographic is now barely existent, with 70 percent of the bands falling into one of three categories: preteen-leaning radio rock (Mumford and Sons, Neon Trees, Brandon Flowers, Kings of Leon), "my first indie band" staples (Arcade Fire, Animal Collective, Bright Eyes), and bro electro (Bloody Beetroots, Boys Noize, Paul van Dyk).

I think that this line-up has a lot of great stuff (Kanye, Strokes, Chem Bros., Shpongle, Duran Duran, Joy Obirson, Wire, OFF, PJ Harvey, etc.) and I know that shitty bands lessen the conflicts, but I can't help but feel that there is a slight lack of heart in this line-up. Reading the poster gives me a weird feeling, not of real disappointment because there really is a ton to get excited about, but more like I'm witnessing the beginning a possible decline rather than just an off year. There have always been weak headliners and shitty bands, but a more than adequate undercard has always been there to support it. I'm worried that the 2011 poster is lacking this foundation.

Yes, I am still going to Coachella like I do every year and will most likely have 'the best time ever' and will 'totally eat my words', but these are just my feelings at the current moment.

xstopemailingmex
01-20-2011, 05:03 AM
I agree wholeheartedly! This will be Coachella number ten for me and I feel that way every year. I feel like the generally-lame headliners bring enough people to help afford the luxury of many of the other acts I'm actually interested in seeing. Nearly every other festival is the same way.

magmazing
01-20-2011, 05:48 AM
This is the first year since Coachella 2007 that all 3 of my friends that I went on a roadtrip to the festival that year with are actually committed or very interested in going. I even have other friends that have never gone interested... and they're all in their 30s...

In '08 and '09 I flew down by myself. Last year had some interest but only one commitment. This year is looking up in my eyes so far.

Sigur Ros Stache
01-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Well for me, this was a destination event. Bands that you wouldn't see anywhere else (especially Atlanta) you would see here. There was a reason to come to the desert! Is it a good line up, sure it is, not gonna give it shit. Can I see most of these acts somewhere closer to home and not spend over 1k doing it? Yep, I sure can.

Maybe its me more in tune with the "scene" maybe its just me getting old.

Do I plan on having a great time? HELL YES!

I am going in with a different perspective than clusterfuckchella last year. I am more about the party and not so much about the music...which in itself is sad.

luckyface
01-20-2011, 08:28 AM
This is the first year since Coachella 2007 that all 3 of my friends that I went on a roadtrip to the festival that year with are actually committed or very interested in going. I even have other friends that have never gone interested... and they're all in their 30s...

In '08 and '09 I flew down by myself. Last year had some interest but only one commitment. This year is looking up in my eyes so far.

Quite the opposite for me this year. We had a group of 16 last year. At least half are out, with more on the fence. I think the lineup plus last year's experience is taking the excitement away from the regulars.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Quite the opposite for me this year. We had a group of 16 last year. At least half are out, with more on the fence. I think the lineup plus last year's experience is taking the excitement away from the regulars.

this.

KickerConspiracy
01-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Maybe due to my age and the age of my friends (mid-30's) I'm seeing a lot more of my friends willing to go/confirming. I've been going since 2007, and last year was the worst from a hassle standpoint (esp the bracelet/admission situation and having to navigate through a minefield of prostitots watching Phoenix to get to Pavement were two vivid memories), but having speakers/screens at the Outdoor was a dramatic improvement over previous years.

I remember trying to watch Band of Horses in 2008 and there was almost no way to get close enough without getting interference from the f***ing DoLab.

Dogvolta
01-20-2011, 09:00 AM

Precisely.
Last year's experience was a big turn off for myself and a few friends. I eerily came to that place in my life where I had considered not returning for 2011 (I've been going since '05).
And when I saw the lineup the other night...hardly convincing. In fact, nearly opposite because the line-up seems to only promote last year's less than stellar vibe even further.
My ass is starting to hurt from sitting on the fence so much, I need to make a decision soon.
I am SURE that if I end up going I'd have fun...hell, just that priceless excitement/anticipation of the drive out there is a fantastic thing, haha.

luckyface
01-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Precisely.
Last year's experience was a big turn off for myself and a few friends. I eerily came to that place in my life where I had considered not returning for 2011 (I've been going since '05).
And when I saw the lineup the other night...hardly convincing. In fact, nearly opposite because the line-up seems to only promote last year's less than stellar vibe even further.
My ass is starting to hurt from sitting on the fence so much, I need to make a decision soon.
I am SURE that if I end up going I'd have fun...hell, just that priceless excitement/anticipation of the drive out there is a fantastic thing, haha.

I was on the fence until a couple of months ago. I am giving the festival one more chance. If it ends up being a mess like last year, I am done. There are a lot of other festival options available, so I will pursue something else if GV doesn't do enough to address last year's concerns (so far, I am a little skeptical).

HandBanana
01-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Im old as fuck and this lineup has me thrilled.
Ive never (save for the occasional 04 or 08) been all that geeked about the superficial headers in the Sahara or the Main.

All you guys are looking at are the anchors and you are missing all the real gems in there like Foals and Beardyman and Brandt Brauer Frick and like 2 dozen more.

One thing I did yesterday when everyone started complaining about the lineup and lamenting the loss of "the old days" was I went back and looked at the older posters.

Now, I've been attending since 04. Every single year in fact.
But look at this, this is 2005's lineup...

http://i.imgur.com/vtIlN.jpg

Now youre gonna tell me that this year's lineup is weaker than that?
I went in 05. I had a great time, but come on.
I think you guys are getting far too jaded and way too hooked on "the Big Get"
I mean sure, 05 had bragging rights for New Order, but ya know what? They fucking sucked.

I have a friend in Chicago that keeps trying to get me to come to Lolla.
He's never been to the polo fields and Ive been to Lolla twice.
Once in 05 and then in 09.
And one thing that I try to express to him is that Lolla (or most other American fests) can have 3x the lineup Coachella does and they still cant top it.

Its not just lineups. Lollapalooza thinks that and thats why they really are "A musical WalMart by the lake"

Unlike a lot of fests that may as well just pull from Google trending info for their bookings, there is a whole lot of real and careful curation going on here.
It's a shame that you guys dont see it, because once you get below that second line its a fucking wonderland of Next.

That's what Im here for. I could see whats hot right now in SF every weekend.
I want to see whats going to be hot 9 months from now.

Im just sayin. Yall can do what ya want.

grannock
01-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Remember two or three years ago when everyone was complaining that Coachella was trying to appeal to an older crowd with Paul McCartney and Leonard Cohen? Hell, I guess Portishead, My Bloody Valentine, The Cure and Faith No More would all be geezer music this year. It's odd now that this supposed target demographic is now barely existent, with 70 percent of the bands falling into one of three categories: preteen-leaning radio rock (Mumford and Sons, Neon Trees, Brandon Flowers, Kings of Leon), "my first indie band" staples (Arcade Fire, Animal Collective, Bright Eyes), and bro electro (Bloody Beetroots, Boys Noize, Paul van Dyk).

I think that this line-up has a lot of great stuff (Kanye, Strokes, Chem Bros., Shpongle, Duran Duran, Joy Obirson, Wire, OFF, PJ Harvey, etc.) and I know that shitty bands lessen the conflicts, but I can't help but feel that there is a slight lack of heart in this line-up. Reading the poster gives me a weird feeling, not of real disappointment because there really is a ton to get excited about, but more like I'm witnessing the beginning a possible decline rather than just an off year. There have always been weak headliners and shitty bands, but a more than adequate undercard has always been there to support it. I'm worried that the 2011 poster is lacking this foundation.

Yes, I am still going to Coachella like I do every year and will most likely have 'the best time ever' and will 'totally eat my words', but these are just my feelings at the current moment.

Agree. This could be an off year because everyone counted on Radiohead and DP to play this summer, but it also could be the new style for all 3 of the major US festivals. Coachella always seemed like the one to hold down and bring in the rare, unique and crazy acts you would never expect at Lolla or Roo, but this years lineup looks exactly like a trend towards the newbies and novices, and less for the heads and veterans.

grannock
01-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Im old as fuck and this lineup has me thrilled.
Ive never (save for the occasional 04 or 08) been all that geeked about the superficial headers in the Sahara or the Main.

All you guys are looking at are the anchors and you are missing all the real gems in there like Foals and Beardyman and Brandt Brauer Frick and like 2 dozen more.

One thing I did yesterday when everyone started complaining about the lineup and lamenting the loss of "the old days" was I went back and looked at the older posters.

Now, I've been attending since 04. Every single year in fact.
But look at this, this is 2005's lineup...

http://i.imgur.com/vtIlN.jpg

Now youre gonna tell me that this year's lineup is weaker than that?
I went in 05. I had a great time, but come on.
I think you guys are getting far too jaded and way too hooked on "the Big Get"
I mean sure, 05 had bragging rights for New Order, but ya know what? They fucking sucked.

And one thing that I try to express to him is that Lolla (or most other American fests) can have 3x the lineup Coachella does and they still cant top it.

Its not just lineups. Lollapalooza thinks that and thats why they really are "A musical WalMart by the lake"

Unlike a lot of fests that may as well just pull from Google trending info for their bookings, there is a whole lot of real and careful curation going on here.
It's a shame that you guys dont see it, because once you get below that second line its a fucking wonderland of Next.

This is not really a strong argument, all of the fests had weaker lineups 6 years ago because they didn't have the money or the clout to really entice huge names. In 2006, Coachella and Roo changed the game by putting together lineups that were completely amazing and it all kinda exploded from that point. The best place to see the sickest bands was at a huge festival, not the local stadium. 06-10 were some really great years for the 3 major festivals, sure some had worse lineups than others in any given year, but no matter what, every year, one of them had a "holy fucking shit" type of billing.

Also, undercards are easy to bill. These up and comming bands would do anything for their chance to play at Coachella. If a major festival seriously ever had an undercard that sucked balls, they would need a new person doing the booking. What gets me to take a week off work and go halfway across the country is that 6 hour block of music that the drugs were made to experience. Coachella may have a few of these blocks this year, but they could also be a major fuckup like Gorillaz vs Nobody and Plastikman vs Thom Yorke like last year. Worst part is, they don't release the schedule until you are on your flight to California, so its a pretty big risk when you see mostly names you could give two shits about.

Is this an off year? Perhaps. A lot of big names that people thought were due for a summer tour apparently are not ready. Do the majors realize they can make just as much money with a lot less hassle by booking popular names and "selling out" in every sense of the word. Seems like the trend is going in this direction which is a real shame.

Also, just commenting on the location from someone who has been to both Lolla and Chella, downtown Chicago in August is fucking amazing, great weather, incredible scenery, and a nice atmosphere. Top it off with a nice bed to sleep in and a great restaurant to eat at between the music and the afterparty, you have a perfect setting for a festival... not some wallmart for music. Hopefully they book a better ticket than last year and I'll be happy to go back.

HandBanana
01-20-2011, 09:38 AM
And constant one-upsmanship and perpetual growth in the "Holy Shit" direction is probably not sustainable.

Id rather go to a quality, dense, well-rounded festival than something needing a huge tentpole to stand. You cant sustain that.

Its time to make new superstars and stop relying so much on the old ones.

Dogvolta
01-20-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm not so worried about the lineup as I am worried about the weekend as a whole. I can go see any band during their tour, I can go to any music festival, but nothing is ever quite like the Coachella experience, that's why I always went, not matter who the fuck was in the lineup.
Because of last years mess, I have pretty low expectations for this year

HandBanana
01-20-2011, 09:43 AM
That I am with you on.

If 11 is like 10 was then I wont be back for 12.

brfilora
01-20-2011, 09:43 AM

THIS

grannock
01-20-2011, 09:49 AM
And constant one-upsmanship and perpetual growth in the "Holy Shit" direction is probably not sustainable.

Id rather go to a quality, dense, well-rounded festival than something needing a huge tentpole to stand. You cant sustain that.

I totally agree with this, but instead of putting new bands in late night positions and promoting live electronic music which I believe will be the new trend. We have the fucking Strokes and Kanye headlining and Trentmoller so far down on the poster you know its going to be at 4PM.

Booking names that aren't huge isn't the problem... I kinda cringe when I think about what is going to be on at 9-12 every night.

If you go to Coachella for the festie experience, of course your still gonna have that experience and have a great time. It is also true that every festival has this vibe, even small ones like Camp Bisco (sometimes the vibe is actually way better at the smaller ones). I'll be at a minimum of 3 festivals this summer, so I kinda book where I go depending on the bill.

elChurro
01-20-2011, 09:51 AM
If you hear music as a age/culture/or whatever kind of barrier.... Maybe your missing the point of music?

betao
01-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Different strokes for different folks.

I didn't go in 2005, but based on my musical tastes today, the 2005 lineup would excite me more than the 2011 lineup.

faxman75
01-20-2011, 09:52 AM
This is not really a strong argument, all of the fests had weaker lineups 6 years ago because they didn't have the money or the clout to really entice huge names.

Your argument is weaker. Who cares what the budget is? No one. We all want to see bands and at this point there are tons of bands that overlap. Sure, Lolla and Bonnaroo will get more headliners but neither of those places have the polo fields and as someone who has been to Lolla and lived in Chicago, Grant Park just isn't the same as going to this desert oasis. Coachella has magic and like others, I think last year that magic was tarnished but even so, it's still a far better atmosphere than any other fest that I have been to in the states.

In 2006, Coachella and Roo changed the game by putting together lineups that were completely amazing and it all kinda exploded from that point. The best place to see the sickest bands was at a huge festival, not the local stadium. 06-10 were some really great years for the 3 major festivals, sure some had worse lineups than others in any given year, but no matter what, every year, one of them had a "holy fucking shit" type of billing.

Sasquatch last year proved you didn't need that one giant holy fucking shit type band. It was a huge success and sold out faster than it ever did in previous years with My Morning Jacket, Ween and Massive Attack. Maybe you don't count Sasquatch in your Big 3 but a lesson should have been learned. A strong undercard is far more important than that one big get.

Dogvolta
01-20-2011, 09:53 AM
If you hear music as a age/culture/or whatever kind of barrier.... Maybe your missing the point of music?

Bingo

canexplain
01-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Different strokes for different folks.

I didn't go in 2005, but based on my musical tastes today, the 2005 lineup would excite me more than the 2011 lineup.

I loved 2005 so stop dogging it gang :)

grannock
01-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Sasquatch last year proved you didn't need that one giant holy fucking shit type band. It was a huge success and sold out faster than it ever did in previous years with My Morning Jacket, Ween and Massive Attack. Maybe you don't count Sasquatch in your Big 3 but a lesson should have been learned. A strong undercard is far more important than that one big get.

Every festival has a strong undercard, if you only want an undercard there is no reason to go anywhere but your local festival.

GeminiDC
01-20-2011, 10:01 AM
That I am with you on.

I enjoyed last year. Got up front for all the people I really wanted to see (Muse, Fever Ray, etc.), had a blast back at my camp site with people from all over the country I didn't know, got a shower every morning without waiting longer than 30 minutes. I mean, I put very little effort in last year like getting up early to shower then going back to sleep, timing my bands right (despite being drunk the entire weekend) and being prepared (my 1st coachella ever and I would change very little about my preparations) and consequently had a good time. Perhaps I suffer from onyl having a small sample size to work with but what was wrong about last year? I never waited longer than 5 or 10 minutes to get in the gates though that may be because I always took the car camping rear gate. Leaving after Muse took about 30 minutes but it was pretty and good vibes were all around.

HandBanana
01-20-2011, 10:06 AM
One thing that I would also like to mention that Im very happy about in the last two years lineups, and I say this as a huge fan of more classic rock stuff, I am glad that Coachella is getting away from the "One Big Classic Rock Headliner" format.

This isnt Bonnaroo. Theres nothing wrong with Bonnaroo at all, but they have their own angle. Let them have The Who or Zeppelin or whoever.

That's not why a lot of us started coming to the fest.

I loved McCartney and Waters as much as anyone, but it was starting to skew the perceived mission statement a bit. All of a sudden you had these classic rock dudes showing up on the board wondering why Grand Funk Railroad (who I also like) wasnt asked to play. We were losing the plot a bit and THAT was getting us into Generic Festival territory.

I think we are finally in the last few years, after a very long drought, getting our 21st Century footing on and finally making NEW stars. And I think it feels pretty awesome to have that happening again.

I love the past guys too but you have to make new ones at some point.

Kings of Leon still eat Poo-cicles tho.

Dogvolta
01-20-2011, 10:10 AM
I enjoyed last year. Got up front for all the people I really wanted to see (Muse, Fever Ray, etc.), had a blast back at my camp site with people from all over the country I didn't know, got a shower every morning without waiting longer than 30 minutes. I mean, I put very little effort in last year like getting up early to shower then going back to sleep, timing my bands right (despite being drunk the entire weekend) and being prepared (my 1st coachella ever and I would change very little about my preparations) and consequently had a good time. Perhaps I suffer from onyl having a small sample size to work with but what was wrong about last year? I never waited longer than 5 or 10 minutes to get in the gates though that may be because I always took the car camping rear gate. Leaving after Muse took about 30 minutes but it was pretty and good vibes were all around.

Well there you have it, how could you NOT have a good time? Hell, of aaalll the years I've been, it was hands down the very least enjoyable, yet I still had a good time.
Hence, my fence sitting.

LunaVC
01-20-2011, 10:13 AM
hand banana makes a lot of sense actually

top brother

Sigur Ros Stache
01-20-2011, 10:15 AM
That I am with you on.

OK this in a nutshell is exactly it! and this is my 6th

for the record HandBanana 2005 was what got me there the first time for NIN alone...i had never heard of it before then and was BLOWN AWAY!

HandBanana
01-20-2011, 10:18 AM
I dont mean to have a go at 2005.
That was a superfun year.
But looking at it now it seems really weak compared to the juggernaut that is this years poster.

betao
01-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Well it was a 2 day festival back then, and they managed to grab:

- a very rare Prodigy performance (only US show of the AONO tour)
- New Order reunion
- Bauhaus reunion
- was Gang of Four a reunion?
- NIN's first tour in at least 5 shows

for its time, it was awesome.

hendrixfan143
01-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Well for me, this was a destination event. Bands that you wouldn't see anywhere else (especially Atlanta) you would see here. There was a reason to come to the desert! Is it a good line up, sure it is, not gonna give it shit. Can I see most of these acts somewhere closer to home and not spend over 1k doing it? Yep, I sure can.

Maybe its me more in tune with the "scene" maybe its just me getting old.

Do I plan on having a great time? HELL YES!

I am going in with a different perspective than clusterfuckchella last year. I am more about the party and not so much about the music...which in itself is sad.

This mentality is what made coachella suck this year. Frat bros. lookin to rage instead of going for music. Music festivals are essentially about the music.

KickerConspiracy
01-20-2011, 10:25 AM
That I am with you on.

Word. Especially since 10 sucked not because of the music but because of the administration of the festival. Let's hope GV has their shit together this year. I think the 'mailing the wristbands a month before and excluding non-wristband holders from the property' policy is a step in the right direction, but just like any business, its not about the idea, its about the execution.

Boourns
01-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Every festival has a strong undercard, if you only want an undercard there is no reason to go anywhere but your local festival.

Don't get me wrong, the undercard and mid-tier have a good amount of quality stuff, but nothing that wows me. There are a lot of fresher acts that are touring this year that could have made it amazing for me, though.

Too bad most of these new superstars aren't very good, though. Remember last year how Faith No More and Pavement had tiny crowds but all the tweens and bros that overran the fields flocked the hell all over MGMT, Hot Chip, Phoenix, and The Fiver? If that trend continues, how does it affect future appearances of "holy shit" acts?

Also, anyone that wasn't down with seeing McCartney and Cohen is a tasteless fucktard.

Sexecutioner
01-20-2011, 10:50 AM
One thing that I would also like to mention that Im very happy about in the last two years lineups, and I say this as a huge fan of more classic rock stuff, I am glad that Coachella is getting away from the "One Big Classic Rock Headliner" format.

This isnt Bonnaroo. Theres nothing wrong with Bonnaroo at all, but they have their own angle. Let them have The Who or Zeppelin or whoever.

That's not why a lot of us started coming to the fest.

I loved McCartney and Waters as much as anyone, but it was starting to skew the perceived mission statement a bit. All of a sudden you had these classic rock dudes showing up on the board wondering why Grand Funk Railroad (who I also like) wasnt asked to play. We were losing the plot a bit and THAT was getting us into Generic Festival territory.

I think we are finally in the last few years, after a very long drought, getting our 21st Century footing on and finally making NEW stars. And I think it feels pretty awesome to have that happening again.

I love the past guys too but you have to make new ones at some point.

Kings of Leon still eat Poo-cicles tho.

I disagree with this.

I also am a big fan of classic rock, as well as a lot of newer genres. And while I do love going to coachella to hear the next big thing, I think it's also important to pay tribute to the legends who influenced a lot of the younger bands.

In my eyes, coachella is all about diversity, and just good music, no matter what type. That's whats so great about it, you can see all kinds of different music throughout the weekend and get exposed to a lot of cool stuff you might not have been otherwise. As soon as you say Coachella should only focus on one type of music and let Roo do another, you kind of miss the point of these festivals.

I also think its important to expose a lot of these young hipster snobs to some of the music that helped shape the bands they might like. It's amazing to me how narrow minded some of these kids are, like if it doesnt sounds like a fuckin robot, they dont give a shit. It's good for them to at least have the option of checking out some music with a bit more soul, even if they might not leave the sahara all day, at least they might listen to it once while browsing the boards.

And who gives a shit if some old dude comes on the boards? Thats the whole point, all you hipsters need a little diversity in your life cuz you all walk around thinking your shit dont stink.

HandBanana
01-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Pay tribute?
Are we Aztecs now?
And lol, I think McCartney and Waters are doing just fine. No one is in any danger of getting forgotten.

And yes like I said, I loved both of them and Cohen was one of my top 10 Coachella moments ever.

No one at all is advocating for less diversity. At all. Quite the opposite actually.

Theres nothing at all with "old dudes" coming onto the boards. Shit, Im one of them. More or less.

But theres a difference between an oldster coming on here getting geeked to see, say, Trentemoller and one coming on to request Skynrd man!

BTW, if you look at the lineups of the great festivals of the 1970s, youll notice you dont see a lot of Bill Haley and the Comets and Everly Brothers on there. Why not? Stands to reason they would be, given your line of reasoning.
They didnt need to because they were making the new superstars.
The ones yall want to see headline Coachella so badly every year.

miraj
01-20-2011, 10:59 AM
The one thing that is absolutely clear to me is that Trentemoller, regardless of where he's billed, better not play at 4pm.

Sexecutioner
01-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Pay tribute?
Are we Aztecs now?
And lol, I think McCartney and Waters are doing just fine. No one is in any danger of getting forgotten.

And yes like I said, I loved both of them and Cohen was one of my top 10 Coachella moments ever.

No one at all is advocating for less diversity. At all. Quite the opposite actually.

Theres nothing at all with "old dudes" coming onto the boards. Shit, Im one of them. More or less.

But theres a difference between an oldster coming on here getting geeked to see, say, Trentemoller and one coming on to request Skynrd man!

BTW, if you look at the lineups of the great festivals of the 1970s, youll notice you dont see a lot of Bill Haley and the Comets and Everly Brothers on there. Why not? Stands to reason they would be, given your line of reasoning.
They didnt need to because they were making the new superstars.
The ones yall want to see headline Coachella so badly every year.

I dont think theyre going to be forgotten, maybe pay tribute wasnt the right phrase, I just think it's important to have a diverse range of music, including classic rock.

If you enjoyed McCartney and Waters, then I dont see any reason to not bring back some other similar type of act. Did the older crowd bum you out? I'll take them any day over the annoying fuckin tweens that overran the festival last year.

And I am not saying every year there needs to be a classic rock quota or anything like that, it's just about what the best touring bands are for any given summer. That's what Coachella is supposed to be, a snapshot of what was awesome in live music for any given year. Basically if there is a great band touring, or planning to reunite, I say book em, I dont care how old they are. Bring on Zepelin, Floyd, the Stones, or any other old geezers, as long as they can still bring it onstage.

HandBanana
01-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Youre getting me wrong here.

IF an awesome classic rocker like Neil Young (on of my faves) is on the lineup , then Hell Yeah!

IF NOT then I dont feel a major ingredient is missing. This aint 'Roo.

bdb23
01-20-2011, 11:18 AM
I don't agree with the original poster, but I will say, you guys have a much more mature discussion than some of the posts I've been going through in the rumors forum... I may stay over here for awhile.

Sexecutioner
01-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Youre getting me wrong here.

IF an awesome classic rocker like Neil Young (on of my faves) is on the lineup , then Hell Yeah!

IF NOT then I dont feel a major ingredient is missing. This aint 'Roo.

then i must have understood you. thought you said you are glad they are moving away from their classic rock headliners. whatever, done arguing. at least we can both agree that neil young would be fucking awesome.

HandBanana
01-20-2011, 11:20 AM
I don't agree with the original poster, but I will say, you guys have a much more mature discussion than some of the posts I've been going through in the rumors forum... I may stay over here for awhile.

STFO FOGGOT!

Sexecutioner
01-20-2011, 11:21 AM

fuck you homo!

jk ;)

bdb23
STFO FOGGOT!

Thank you.

Sexecutioner
STFO FOGGOT!

LOL JYNX

HandBanana
then i must have understood you. thought you said you are glad they are moving away from their classic rock headliners. whatever, done arguing. at least we can both agree that neil young would be fucking awesome.

Im just glad they arent beholden to it as a strict format, but if they could get say a Kinks reunion or something, I would be all for it.

york707
01-20-2011, 11:37 AM
This is not really a strong argument, all of the fests had weaker lineups 6 years ago because they didn't have the money or the clout to really entice huge names. In 2006, Coachella and Roo changed the game by putting together lineups that were completely amazing and it all kinda exploded from that point.

This is ridiculous. '04 featured a Pixies reunion and what was until and other than Daft Punk's set one of the most legendary Coachella performances in the form of Radiohead. It also had the Flaming Lips before their schtick grew old. And Air. And, oh wait, yeah KRAFTWERK.

Errant
01-20-2011, 11:46 AM
I dont mean to have a go at 2005.
That was a superfun year.
But looking at it now it seems really weak compared to the juggernaut that is this years poster.

It was super fun. I'll admit being a bit non-plussed when the poster came out, but it worked out fabulously. Peter Murphy doing Bela while hanging by his feet? Awesome! :)

BayAreaIsBetter
01-20-2011, 11:54 AM
This is the dumbest thread Ive ever read. Aniaml Collective my first indie band??

Have you even done any research into any of the bands that are playing this year?

Who the hell were you hopping for. Everyone is playing

Stay home please you dont belong at coachella

guedita
01-20-2011, 11:57 AM
You dumb hoppers.

BayAreaIsBetter
01-20-2011, 12:21 PM
fuck you too babe

BeaverCat
01-20-2011, 12:32 PM
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/052/812/original/Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif?1275684729

boyalien0
01-20-2011, 12:44 PM
This was actually a really good thread for a bit there.

Dogvolta
01-20-2011, 01:10 PM
still is. ignore bayarea.
for the past year I've known that I was going to have a hard time deciding to go back for 2011, regardless of the lineup.
OF COURSE there is going to be bands we all wish weren't/were playing, OF COURSE some years lineup is going to be far greater/far worse than other years. It is the event itself and where the overall event vibe has gone over the past decade (and came to an ugly puss-filled white head last year) that we're discussing.
For the most part, this thread had remained void of "this headliner sucks!" meaningless debate.

That's why multiple people have commented on the legit-ness of this thread.

sleepybrew
01-20-2011, 01:16 PM

This! This!

This is my mindset right now.

Miroir Noir
01-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Well it was a 2 day festival back then, and they managed to grab:

- a very rare Prodigy performance (only US show of the AONO tour)
- New Order reunion
- Bauhaus reunion
- was Gang of Four a reunion?
- NIN's first tour in at least 5 shows

for its time, it was awesome.

On the other hand, it did have Coldplay, Keane, and Snow Patrol all on the same day! Is anyone who attended that year able to verify that these three bands do, in fact, feature different personnel?

BayAreaIsBetter
01-20-2011, 01:26 PM
This is the most indie\electronic centric line up in years. No metal\hardrock bands, not that much twee, not much 80's reunion pop; lots of noise, shoegaze......WTF people. I really dont understand why everyone is so disgruntle.

Dogvolta
01-20-2011, 01:29 PM
This is the most indie\electronic centric line up in years. No metal\hardrock bands, not that much twee, not much 80's reunion pop; lots of noise, shoegaze......WTF people. I really dont understand why everyone is so disgruntle.

See my post above. Have you not read this entire freaking thread??

Bons222000
01-20-2011, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=Sigur Ros Stache;1980689] Can I see most of these acts somewhere closer to home and not spend over 1k doing it? Yep, I sure can.
[QUOTE]

Yes but can you see them all in one weekend? That's what Coachell has going for it. Also, if you do not like the band you are seeing you can go somewhere else.

Dede' Arneaux
01-20-2011, 01:42 PM
hand banana makes a lot of sense actually

top brother

He does.

We are traveling 8000 miles for the 3rd year on the trot because Coachella is by far the best festival experience we've had. Compared to those in the UK, it's in a different class. In musical terms, the most important criteria, Coachella offers so much more than other fests by avoiding bands with nothing to prove. No doubt I'll have another impossible 'must see' list of 15 bands per day - cant wait.

Add the weather, the well behaved crowd, good parking, great food and believe it or not the economy of space (compared to the urban sprawl of Glasto or claustrophobia of Reading or T In The Park) - we are spoiled at Coachella and I'm delighted to be a part of it.

BayAreaIsBetter
01-20-2011, 01:46 PM
See my post above. Have you not read this entire freaking thread??

sparsely, sorry, im juggling this with work.

Jman4321
01-20-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm remaining optimistic about the crowd and vibe for this year. My first Coachella was 2007, so I have no ability to reflect on these halcyon days of 2004 and the like as far as the vibe goes. That being said, I really didn't experience an increasing tween and bro contingent in any year except for 2010, be it from choosing to see bands that wouldn't draw this crowd or simply being blind, I suppose. I mean, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Rage Against the Machine are about as "bro-sy" as it gets, however that wasn't overwhelmingly apparent crowd-wise at the time.

Someone brought up in another thread that 2010 was a "perfect shitstorm" of bands who were rapidly gaining popularity and reaching a fever-pitch around the time of Coachella, such as Mgmt, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, and the like. While Kanye West certainly is aimed at this demographic for the most part, I can't really see that much else that would have the type of "one-hit-wonder-esque" pull like seeing "Kids" or "Lisztomania" would. Many of the bands, while admittedly popular, seem aimed at the hardcore music fan, rather than the fan of "being seen while liking music". Say what you want about Animal Collective being "my first indie band" or whatever, however I'd hazard a guess that they remain really off-putting to a lot of people, and I still believe that their position as a sub-headliner is brave, to say the least. I'm happy about it, but will a lot of people who came last year to see David Guetta and Deadmau5 be? Probably not. And unless I'm more illiterate with shit-house radio electro than I thought, I can't really see many draws for that besides the Bloody Beetroots and whatever else.

In all, the line-up's pretty vibrant with the undercard, to echo what's been said here multiple times, and I feel that there is a lot of exciting territory to cover with seeing newer bands and the like. That's what drew me to come back in 2008 before the entire Prince drop happened, and that's what's drawing me again. Yeah 2010 got a little annoying when I had to fight to get a spot for Grizzly Bear, of all bands. However when I got to literally walk into the front section of the main stage to see Yo La Tengo, Spoon, and Pavement in a row, I forgot all of my prior annoyances. A lot has to do with perspective and who you want to see. There were problems last year, but they were minor in the large scope for me. With that, and the fact that I perceive (perhaps incorrectly) this line-up to be less inclined to the bandwagoning Coachella attendee, I predict this being more fun for me than last year by a long shot.

I like seeing a lot of new, upcoming bands and obscure acts like the rest of you, and I'll admit that I like Kanye West and the Strokes as well. I suppose that I'm the demographic for this year. I promise that I won't get in your way and be annoying.

EDIT: Except that I really fucking hate Mumford and Sons.

matsuolost
01-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Except that I really fucking hate Mumford and Sons.

yes

Dogvolta
01-20-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm remaining optimistic about the crowd and vibe for this year. My first Coachella was 2007, so I have no ability to reflect on these halcyon days of 2004 and the like as far as the vibe goes. That being said, I really didn't experience an increasing tween and bro contingent in any year except for 2010, be it from choosing to see bands that wouldn't draw this crowd or simply being blind, I suppose. I mean, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Rage Against the Machine are about as "bro-sy" as it gets, however that wasn't overwhelmingly apparent crowd-wise at the time.

Someone brought up in another thread that 2010 was a "perfect shitstorm" of bands who were rapidly gaining popularity and reaching a fever-pitch around the time of Coachella, such as Mgmt, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, and the like. Kanye West certainly is aimed at this demographic for the most part, I can't really see that much else that would have the type of "one-hit-wonder-esque" pull like seeing "Kids" or "Lisztomania" would. Many of the bands, while admittedly popular, seem aimed at the hardcore music fan, rather than the fan of being seen liking music. Say what you want about Animal Collective being "my first indie band" or whatever, however I'd hazard a guess that they remain really off-putting to a lot of people, and I still believe that their position as a sub-headliner is brave, to say the least. I'm happy about it, but will a lot of people who came last year to see David Guetta and Deadmau5? Probably not. And unless I'm more illiterate with shit-house radio electro than I thought, I can't really see many draws for that besides the Bloody Beetroots and whatever else.

In all, the line-up's pretty vibrant with the undercard, to echo what's been said here multiple times, and I feel that there is a lot of exciting territory to cover with seeing newer bands and the like. That's what drew me to come back in 2008 before the entire Prince drop happened, and that's what's drawing me again. Yeah 2010 got a little annoying when I had to fight to get a spot for Grizzly Bear, of all bands. However when I got to literally walk to the front section of the main stage to see Yo La Tengo, Spoon, and Pavement in a row, I forgot all of my prior annoyances. A lot has to do with perspective and who you want to see. There were problems last year, but they were minor in the large scope for me. With that, and the fact that I perceive (perhaps incorrectly) this line-up to be less inclined to the bandwagoning Coachella attendee, I predict this being more fun for me than last year by a long shot.

I like seeing a lot of new, upcoming bands and obscure acts like the rest of you, and I'll admit that I like Kanye West and the Strokes as well. I suppose that I'm the demographic for this year. I promise that I won't get in your way and be annoying.

Bravo man, bravo

TheScaryOne
01-20-2011, 02:42 PM
While last year did cater way more to the rave crowd , I almost feel like those people are going to come no matter what now in numerous numbers. As long as there's some acts they recognize I think they are willing to drop money for a weekend of heavy bass and ecstasy. I mean look at all the crazies that practically stayed at the do lab the entire weekend. They don't need much and their avenues are running a little thin in California after EDC kind of imploded.

Also I like Animal Collective just as much as the next small liberal arts college white guy, but let me just say this: If they don't play a Merriweather Post Pavilion set, I can already hear half the crowd booing and shouting. What I'm saying is they are a great band but I don't think it's an incredibly 'brave' pic. I think they are billed on the second line because their new album is catchy and people like dancing, not because Feels and Sung Tongs are great albums.

I guess a lot of this does have to do a lot with the experience last year now that people are saying it. I told myself I had a really good time last year, but I think this line-up is reminding me actually what a clusterfuck it was and this poster is not quelling my fears that 2011 will be different. Maybe more of the changing tastes of festival attendees in general?

Dogvolta
01-20-2011, 02:47 PM
...but I think this line-up is reminding me actually what a clusterfuck it was and this poster is not quelling my fears that 2011 will be different...

My. Exact. Thoughts.

Exactly.

JelloPuddingChat
01-20-2011, 03:03 PM
I still think the coachella curating was a good point to bring up. Paul gets help from a lot of buddies about artists who are making good orginal music. Some are more obvious than others, that's true.

I wanted to bring up another point that was in another thread. Bands aren't sitting around praying for their special coachella phone to ring. Money isn't everything to everyone. I still believe that GV tries to get the best they can. Artists can still say no, ok?

Miroir Noir
01-20-2011, 03:38 PM
I think they are billed on the second line because their new album is catchy and people like dancing, not because Feels and Sung Tongs are great albums.

The catchiness and accessibility of much of MPP certainly explains both the album's attraction to the rave kids you describe as well as the band's flirtation with the mainstream, but the major reason that Animal Collective is being billed second act at Coachella in 2011 is that Pitchfork and its followers crowned the album as the best of 2009 in . . . December of 2008, spent all of spring and summer of 2009 flogging it in an endless hype cycle, and then spent the last three months of 2009 calling it one of the best albums of the decade. And who, precisely, is the fanbase most impacted by all of that? White liberal arts majors who are going to rhapsodize after the fact about the event's transcendence irrespective of whether the band plays "My Girls" and "Brother Sport" or does 70 minutes of hookless, droning loops.

As much as Carles' writing is about comedy and performance art that approaches near Colbert-levels of irony, I think his MPP piece back during January 2009 hit the nail on the head, and even does so without the artiface of irony in many places: http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/2009/01/animal-collective-band-created-byforon-internet.html

And yes, I understand how this line of criticism also applies to Arcade Fire.

chiapet
01-20-2011, 03:57 PM
grannock, you're nuts or just don't look around at festivals very much. There are plenty of festivals that have an underwhelming or only average undercard. It cannot be taken for granted that all festivals will book excellent acts all through the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc lines of each day's lineup.

It seems like some of y'all put such an emphasis on headlining acts, and that's something I just don't get. Certainly a band I love having a headlining spot at Coachella would be sweet, but it's not what makes me buy the ticket. If I just wanted to see a couple of really big name bands, I would likely get a better or longer set from them by going to see them as they tour. I look at Coachella like a smorgasbord where I can check out at least a couple dozen acts that I *could* see locally but would have to spend exponentially more to see one by one -- not to mention that Coachella gives you the opportunity to move along to the next stage if whatever you'd planned on seeing just isn't working from you. It's an incredible opportunity to see up and comers and bands you've been interested in who are not huge yet.

I count on having never heard at least 1/4 of the bans on the lineup when it comes out. That's part of the fun of it. Finding your favorite new thing.

chiapet
01-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Also am I losing it, and re-reading the same thread, or does everyone keep saying "ignore BayAreaIsBetter." Not that I'm suggesting the instruction should be disregarded.

BayAreaIsBetter
01-20-2011, 04:13 PM
no no, you should probably follow suite. I'm returning next week with a new avatar: Vigo The Carpathian, oh fuck I shouldn't have said it.

Bons222000
01-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Someone brought up in another thread that 2010 was a "perfect shitstorm" of bands who were rapidly gaining popularity and reaching a fever-pitch around the time of Coachella, such as Mgmt, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, and the like. Kanye West certainly is aimed at this demographic for the most part, I can't really see that much else that would have the type of "one-hit-wonder-esque" pull like seeing "Kids" or "Lisztomania" would. Many of the bands, while admittedly popular, seem aimed at the hardcore music fan, rather than the fan of being seen liking music. Say what you want about Animal Collective being "my first indie band" or whatever, however I'd hazard a guess that they remain really off-putting to a lot of people, and I still believe that their position as a sub-headliner is brave, to say the least. I'm happy about it, but will a lot of people who came last year to see David Guetta and Deadmau5? Probably not. And unless I'm more illiterate with shit-house radio electro than I thought, I can't really see many draws for that besides the Bloody Beetroots and whatever else.

In all, the line-up's pretty vibrant with the undercard, to echo what's been said here multiple times, and I feel that there is a lot of exciting territory to cover with seeing newer bands and the like. That's what drew me to come back in 2008 before the entire Prince drop happened, and that's what's drawing me again. Yeah 2010 got a little annoying when I had to fight to get a spot for Grizzly Bear, of all bands. However when I got to literally walk to the front section of the main stage to see Yo La Tengo, Spoon, and Pavement in a row, I forgot all of my prior annoyances. A lot has to do with perspective and who you want to see. There were problems last year, but they were minor in the large scope for me. With that, and the fact that I perceive (perhaps incorrectly) this line-up to be less inclined to the bandwagoning Coachella attendee, I predict this being more fun for me than last year by a long shot.

Perhaps, but nowhere do you mention Kings of Leon which is THE teenie-bob rock act of now. All the MTV-college-teens are going to come out for that one, and for a lot of them it's going to be their first introduction to e and the electronic scene, which they will no doubt pack in day 2 (good thing its the day the only headliner I want to see is playing).

And as I recall, MGMT didn't even play "kids" last year.

Edit: and clearly Litzomainia is not Phoenix's one-hit. It would be 1901 no?

Necie
01-20-2011, 04:23 PM

THIS!

I've not been to Lolla, so I can't agree/disagree on that argument, but because of going by a system similar to what you brought up above, I viewed last years Coachella as an opportunity to really immerse myself in new music that either was new overall or just new to me. Because of that "risk", I was introduced to so many acts/bands/groups that I am completely infatuated with due to the fact that there were so many holes in the lineup upon first glance.

I know I'm nowheres near the first to say this, but I really think how awesome Coachella is depends on your mindset and what each piece of the experience is worth..Just coming for the bands and don't give a fuck about the festival concept, or sentimentality, or the random vendors/booths, etc...then yeah, I guess this year might suck (given that you don't actually like alot of the acts listed). I'll also fully admit that had I looked at the lineup and I genuinely only found 4 acts that I was excited about, I would think twice about coming, cause for me, the "who's actually playing" part is not the most important, but its up there. *shrugs*

For now I'm ecstatic about the lineup, both because I FUCKING LOVE quite a few of the acts from each day, but also because there's still quite abit of room to do some research on these other acts that I've never heard of..

chiapet
01-20-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm sorry to agree that the Kings of Leon fans will be really, really awful. But on the upside, they will all been corralled at the main stage, hopefully leaving tents blissfully uncrowded for better things.

chiapet
01-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Lolla's undercard is not very good IMO, and that was the one I think grannock was claiming was as solid as Coachella. No way. Lolla manages a few genius undercard bookings every year, but it's very clear that they simply aim to satisfy mass popularity, whereas I feel like Coachella (as HB had put it) tries to introduce people to the next big thing. Lolla just gives you the big thing.

I'm not saying Lolla is bad, it's just an entirely different type of programming.

KickerConspiracy
01-20-2011, 05:02 PM
With all respect to the "Perfect Storm" theory which I believe could be a big reason for the overcrowding last year, an alternative and probably more viable reason was it was the first year of the 3 day pass with no single day tickets. Previously, people who wanted to see some band with typically obnoxious fans (RHCP, Rage, Deadmau5, MGMT) would by a single day ticket, the festival would be swelled that day but not so much the other days.

Some of these people instead of going for the headliner or for a day, are now going for the full three days, destroying the enjoyment of the festival with their abrasive presence.

Jman4321
01-20-2011, 05:53 PM
And as I recall, MGMT didn't even play "kids" last year.

Which is hilarious.

murmur741
01-22-2011, 02:25 PM
So it's been several days since the line-up announcement, and this is all I have to say: I love Coachella; I have gone every April for the last 6 years. I talk about it and plan all year with my friends. It's become important to us. We anticipate the line-up announcement as if it were Christmas day. But when this year’s line-up was announced last Tuesday, I was disappointed. I'm surprised at how underwhelming it is, personally. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I am just not into it this year. I've studied the line-up extensively in the past few days, desperately searching for something to convince myself otherwise, but it's simply not happening. Several of the acts that I do like I've been lucky enough to have seen already. Literally the only set I'd be absolutely ecstatic to see is the DFA 1979 reunion, who apparently will be scheduling more shows later on this year. Other than that, I don’t think I can justify forking out the money this time around. In the past it was never an issue; the line-ups have always been rock solid and impressive. Undoubtedly some of the best live shows I’ve seen have been on those beautiful polo fields. But for me, this year seems to be lacking the excitement it usual carries, at least lacking enough to keep this from being my 7th consecutive year. I’m not just talking about the headliners either, but rather the line-up as a whole. It unfortunetely doesn't seem worth it to me. There just simply isn’t enough offered for me to get excited about this time around. Several of my friends are also skipping this years event. Maybe the organizers are trying to make the festival more low-key. Maybe they’re trying to market to a new generation of concert-goers. Maybe this really is the best they could do with the time and funds available. Changing times? I suppose only time can determine something like that. Whatever it may be, I unfortunetely will have to sit 2011 out. It’s truly sad on so many levels, but I’m not bitter or resentful about it, as many are. On the bright side, this may be an opportunity for me to check out a different music festival this year and try something new; perhaps Bonnaroo or Sasquatch, depending on their line-ups. C’est la vie. I’ll miss you, Coachella. Maybe I’ll see you in 2012.

chiapet
01-22-2011, 02:33 PM
I think you guys are being a bit dramatic, and if this is about, say, Kings of Leon headlining, good luck finding another large festival. Kings of Leon have already headlined both Sasquatch and Bonnaroo. :)

If you think Coachella's lineup is underwhelming and the lineup has kept you from going, I can't imagine you will like Sasquatch. Sasquatch always has in my mind which is a "good" lineup, but not great like Coachella's are. Sasquatch is partially about the quality of the lineup and partially the amazing setting.

More goes into a great festival than the names on the first line of the poster. It seems like you've lost sight of that.

hendrixfan143
01-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Everyone is talking about how great the undercard is. But all of the undercard bands sound like 80's bs, what if you don't like that music. That means you hate the whole undercard. There should be bands that sound like 80's bs, 90's bs, all taht dance rock bs. This year there are only bands that were bastard children of the 80's.

Notorious O.O.G.
01-22-2011, 03:29 PM
With all respect to the "Perfect Storm" theory which I believe could be a big reason for the overcrowding last year, an alternative and probably more viable reason was it was the first year of the 3 day pass with no single day tickets. Previously, people who wanted to see some band with typically obnoxious fans (RHCP, Rage, Deadmau5, MGMT) would by a single day ticket, the festival would be swelled that day but not so much the other days.

Some of these people instead of going for the headliner or for a day, are now going for the full three days, destroying the enjoyment of the festival with their abrasive presence.

ha, now that's just a little inflammatory. are those your top four or just the first that came to mind?

BayAreaIsBetter
01-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Everyone is talking about how great the undercard is. But all of the undercard bands sound like 80's bs, what if you don't like that music. That means you hate the whole undercard. There should be bands that sound like 80's bs, 90's bs, all taht dance rock bs. This year there are only bands that were bastard children of the 80's.

You're telling me that you're not pumped for health and glasser?

RODGERRAMJET
01-22-2011, 04:13 PM
I've been to Coachella every year since inception. I love Coachella, however, I had some serious reservations about even buying tickets this year after last year's parking fiasco on Friday afternoon/night. Then, there's this stupid ticket selling policy this year, which has me worried if I'll even GET my tickets (since I only have a PO Box in my rural community, no mail delivery, and FedEx/UPS do not deliver to PO Boxes). That being said, I'm pretty excited about this year's line-up, and not because of the headliners. I could care less about the headliners this year, actually. (That's a first for me.) But I see TONS of, let's call them, "entry level" bands I wanna see. Tons. Like 90 of them are on my "must see" list. So, I'm happy. I concerned about the traffic/parking clusterfuck, and even if my tickets will show up, but I'm happy about the line-up:
FRI 04/15
The Jakes
Rural Alberta Advantage
Hurts
Skrillex
The Aquabats
Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears
Moving Units
Glasser
Morning Benders
Drums
Cold Cave
Titus Andronicus
Klaxons
Here We Go Magic
Monarchy
Omar Rodriguez Lopez
Marina & the Diamonds
Pains of Being Pure at Heart
!!!
Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti
Tame Impala
Warpaint
Flogging Molly
Boyz Noize
Sleigh Bells
Cold War Kids
Cut Copy
Crystal Castle
Brandon Flowers
Chemical Brothers
Interpol

SAT 04/17
Mary Anne Hobbs
Phosphorescent
Joy Formidable
Thao & the Get Down Stay Down
Wire
Yacht
Radio Dept.
Cults
Foals
Jenny & Johnny
Two Door Cinema Club
Elbow
Cage The Elephant
Gogol Bordello
New Pornographers
Scissor Sisters
One Day as a Lion
Broken Social Scene
London Suede
The Kills
Big Audio Dynamite
Empire of the Sun

SUN 04/17
Gord Downie
Menomena
OFF!
Phantogram
Delorean
Foster The People
MEN
Jack Beats
HEALTH
Fistful of Mercy
Green Velvet
Jack’s Mannequin
She Wants Revenge
Lightning Bolt
Best Coast
Presets
Neon Trees
Bloody Beetroots & the 77
Jimmy Eat World
Ratatat
Death From Above 1979
PJ Harvey
The National
Duran Duran

tessalasset
01-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Damn, I was gonna do the exact same thing as Roger and now it's just gonna look repetitive.

80s bs? I'm not a big fan of that sound, and I LOVE the undercard. Saturday's making my head explode. Here's a list of bands I'm excited to see with absolutely minimal research so far.

Friday: 23

Black Keys
Interpol
Chemical Bros
Lauryn Hill
Cee Lo
Cut Copy
Warpaint
Nosaj Thing
A-Track
!!!
Gayngs
Klaxons
Titus Andronicus
Cold Cave
The Drums
Glasser
Moving Units
Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears
Brandt Brauer Frick
Scala & Kolacny Bros
Breakage
Clare Maguire
Beardyman

Saturday: 26

Arcade Fire
Animal Collective
Mumford and Sons
Suede
Broken Social Scene
Erykah Badu
New Pornographers
Gogol Bordello
Swell Season
Shpongle
Elbow
Daedelus
Delta Spirit
Two Door Cinema Club
Jenny and Johnny
Foals
Tallest Man on Earth
Cults
The Radio Dept
Yelle
Phosphorescent
Here We Go Magic
Freelance Whales
Mariachi El Bronx
Felice Brothers
Trampled By Turtles

Sunday: 23

Kanye
Strokes
The National
PJ Harvey
DFA 1979
Nas & Damian Marley
Ratatat
Jimmy Eat World
Bloody Beetroots
Chromeo
Duck Sauce
Presets
Leftfield
Best Coast
Fistful of Mercy
MEN
City & Colour
Foster the People
Angus and Julia Stone
Delorean
Trentemoller
Phantogram
Gord Downie

And those are just the beginning of artists I'm happy to see. Whittle that down to the average 10-14 possible bands to see in a day, and I'm in for a fantastic three-day weekend. I've been going every day since 2004 and this is one of the best lineups I've ever seen. Minus KOL.

tessalasset
01-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Oh yeah and that just reminded...

As far as a changing Coachella goes, I've had this convo with multiple people over the past few days. Based on the sell outs of camping and VIP so far, and remembering how much faster it sold out last year (as opposed to previous years), Coachella is rapidly becoming the Glastonbury of the US, simply in the sense that it will eventually sell out every year no matter who is on the lineup. I wouldn't be surprised if Goldenvoice sold out ALL the tickets before the lineup was released. Coachella used to be a niche fest (I'm talking before I even went in 2004) but it's changed into a rite of passage for young people. In 2004, I didn't know ANYONE going to the festival. I went on my own, met a couple people on the newly-minted message board who I said hi to out on the fields, but pretty much none of my personal friends knew of it or went to it. Fast-forward to 2011, and it feels like half of my facebook news feed includes the word Coachella. EVERYONE I know in Southern California at least knows what it is, and a large percentage of friends plan on going every year. And my friends' younger brothers and sisters can't stop talking about it, too. I can't bash the "tweens" going for their first time because I was 19 the first time I went, and I hardly knew any of the acts playing, but it was such a life-changing experience for me that I've returned every year, and each time I've developed a deeper and broader love for the music Goldenvoice pulls in.

MarkO
01-22-2011, 05:47 PM
It seems like some of y'all put such an emphasis on headlining acts, and that's something I just don't get. Certainly a band I love having a headlining spot at Coachella would be sweet, but it's not what makes me buy the ticket. If I just wanted to see a couple of really big name bands, I would likely get a better or longer set from them by going to see them as they tour.

Portishead ? Kraftwerk ? How often do they tour ? What did a RW ticket run ? How likely is it to get that wonderful Cure set at their own show ?

I've been on the grounds at 12.30 in the afternoon under a blazing sun watching a band but I like to see attractive headliners and that goes for any fest, not just Coachella. It's not cost effective for me to just go see 30 (at best) lower billed bands and no good headliners when you come from out of state.

$1200 / 30 = $40

Wheres the beef?
01-22-2011, 05:49 PM

As far as a changing Coachella goes, I've had this convo with multiple people over the past few days. Based on the sell outs of camping and VIP so far, and remembering how much faster it sold out last year (as opposed to previous years), Coachella is rapidly becoming the Glastonbury of the US, simply in the sense that it will eventually sell out every year no matter who is on the lineup. I wouldn't be surprised if Goldenvoice sold out ALL the tickets before the lineup was released. Coachella used to be a niche fest (I'm talking before I even went in 2004) but it's changed into a rite of passage for young people. In 2004, I didn't know ANYONE going to the festival. I went on my own, met a couple people on the newly-minted message board who I said hi to out on the fields, but pretty much none of my personal friends knew of it or went to it. Fast-forward to 2011, and it feels like half of my facebook news feed includes the word Coachella. EVERYONE I know in Southern California at least knows what it is, and a large percentage of friends plan on going every year. And my friends' younger brothers and sisters can't stop talking about it, too. I can't bash the "tweens" going for their first time because I was 19 the first time I went, and I hardly knew any of the acts playing, but it was such a life-changing experience for me that I've returned every year, and each time I've developed a deeper and broader love for the music Goldenvoice pulls in.

:pulse

darkjustice
01-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Coachella is going to be fun

KickerConspiracy
01-22-2011, 06:10 PM
ha, now that's just a little inflammatory. are those your top four or just the first that came to mind?

RHCP is my least favorite band. Rage, Deadmau5 and MGMT were from previous Coachella experience.

sacleonard
01-22-2011, 10:36 PM
I've really enjoyed reading this thread, and I respect the different opinions. It's definitely evolved since I started attending in 2004. Aside from the obvious things (more tickets sold, changing to the three day format, etc.), the festival has moved towards a stronger undercard and newer headliners, and despite being in the older demographic, I am very happy to see this trend.

Last year was a mess, but I am hopeful that those things will be addressed for 2011, or as other stated, there may not be a 2012. The lineup was amazing, as were the performances, so if they can fix the crowd and parking issues, then I'm certainly willing to give them another chance.

I'm fine with the headliners, and while I have no intentions of seeing KOL, I understand why they were selected. I'll happily be at one of the other stages when they play, just like I was when JJ played in 2008. Coachella is much more about the undercard, the destination, and the unique moments, so the headliners are a very small part of the Coachella experience for me.

tessalasset
01-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Exactly. Well-spoken.

shoegazer76
01-22-2011, 11:28 PM
New Order was great its you that suck Hand!

brief_things
01-22-2011, 11:45 PM

My experience is very similar. A few friends and I went for the first time in '04 when we were 18 mainly just to see Radiohead and the Cure, because it was such a big deal to us to even see those bands, let alone on the same bill. I had such a good time that first time, that I've been back every year since. I moved to New Orleans this year, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it this year, given the added effort and cost, and when the line up came out, at first, I was ok with not going. But a friend of mine was really excited to go, and asked me if I was interested because he knows I go every year, and the more I considered it, the more jazzed I got. A lot of my favorites are on this line up, but I've seen them all before. But I'd love the opportunity to see them all again. And then there's the added appeal of discovering new stuff. There are always surprises. Most of my all time favorite performances, if not all of them, have been at Coachella. This line up isn't bad, by any means. My favorite? Not necessarily, but I'm going to have an awesome time anyway, because I always do. And I have already put 50% down on my ticket.

TheScenestar
01-23-2011, 12:09 AM
I hate how NOBODY is mentioning one of the BIGGEST reunions in 15 years at Coachella, Caifanes. I know a ton of people so amped for this that are paying the $330 for Coachella just to go Friday than pay that much for a flight to Mexico plus the admission to the only other date they have scheduled. At least at Coachella, people get WAY more that just Caifanes for their dollar's worth. This is a band that has sold out soccer stadiums that hold 100,000 people. Alot of people also are buying their tickets early because they got left out in the cold in 2010. Coachella is a right of passage now and also alot of people that aren't "boardies" don't have the luxury of seeing a lot of bands on the bill at a headlining show because of $ or their dates sell out in an instant. 183 bands for $320 plus lodging (Camping $55 - $80, gas & food)? Count me in if I can only do one musical event a year. Get over yourselves about Kings of Leon or whatever "mainstreamer" band you don't like being there so you're opting out. More room for plenty of people that don't have that elistist or hipster attitude and just want an amazing weekend of music. You won't be missed and if you're going, you're welcome with open arms to enjoy it with everyone else going. See you in Indio!

tessalasset
01-23-2011, 12:45 AM
I have to admit, I had never even seen the word "Caifanes" in my entire life up until Tuesday. But I love stories like that. Random "wtf?" bands that end up being these gigantic entities. Like...how in the world had I never even heard their name before? It blows my mind.

Phantasma Del Mar
01-23-2011, 02:33 AM
Get over yourselves about Kings of Leon or whatever "mainstreamer" band you don't like being there so you're opting out. More room for plenty of people that don't have that elistist or hipster attitude and just want an amazing weekend of music. You won't be missed and if you're going, you're welcome with open arms to enjoy it with everyone else going. See you in Indio!

Well said.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-23-2011, 09:10 AM
I hate how NOBODY is mentioning one of the BIGGEST reunions in 15 years at Coachella, Caifanes. I know a ton of people so amped for this that are paying the $330 for Coachella just to go Friday than pay that much for a flight to Mexico plus the admission to the only other date they have scheduled. At least at Coachella, people get WAY more that just Caifanes for their dollar's worth. This is a band that has sold out soccer stadiums that hold 100,000 people. Alot of people also are buying their tickets early because they got left out in the cold in 2010. Coachella is a right of passage now and also alot of people that aren't "boardies" don't have the luxury of seeing a lot of bands on the bill at a headlining show because of $ or their dates sell out in an instant. 183 bands for $320 plus lodging (Camping $55 - $80, gas & food)? Count me in if I can only do one musical event a year. Get over yourselves about Kings of Leon or whatever "mainstreamer" band you don't like being there so you're opting out. More room for plenty of people that don't have that elistist or hipster attitude and just want an amazing weekend of music. You won't be missed and if you're going, you're welcome with open arms to enjoy it with everyone else going. See you in Indio!

Based off on this and what I am reading about them, Is it same to assume that they might actually close out Friday instead of KOL? I mean their crowd size if going to be much larger no?

jahchella
01-23-2011, 09:28 AM
I have been to ACL, Lolla, and Chella. Everytime I read the comments, "OH Im not going, I'm going to have a bad time, the bands suck, I hate this lineup!!!". And when I'm there, I have never seen anyone NOT having a bad time, oh just the girl that had some bad shrooooms at Chella and wanted to take a shit in the middle of the polo field. Suck it up, its music, awesome people of all ages, and cool weather, we will all have a awesome time trust me.

Davids81
01-23-2011, 10:07 AM
And when I'm there, I have never seen anyone NOT having a bad time

Watch those double negatives. ;)

Excellent posts here from a lot of perspectives. My wife and I go every year since we've been together, and it's a part of our lives that I can't imagine being without. When songs come on during commercials during the Super Bowl, and it's Grizzly Bear, or Edward Sharpe we give each other a smile NO ONE ELSE ever notices stuff like that. Coachella is so much more than having huge headliners, but when they pull off that "OMGWTF!!!" headliner, it's just the cherry on top.

I'm sure we've ran into each other before at the fields, and I hope to see you all there again this year. I'll be the one with the :D on my face, loving every second.

Kid Charlemagne
01-23-2011, 10:12 AM
This will be my second time, I went for the first time last year and I had a great time, I even swore to myself that I would never miss another Coachella based on the experience last year. It's weird to see how many people were down on last year, though I had a great time. I'll admit parking on Friday was horrible. We left Banning at 3:30 P.M and didn't get in till around 8 while Them Crooked Vultures were wrapping up. But I had loads of fun. I'm 21 and would've loved to have seen Vamp Weekend, MGMT, Phoenix, but I explored and saw other bands to enjoy. I saw Fever Ray, Faith No More, Yo La Tengo, Spoon, and Pavement...all up close and it was amazing.

I'm probably the demographic the festival is going for, but I hate Kings of Leon, I think Arcade Fire are the most overrated band in the world, I've seen The Strokes multiple times and am on the fence with Kanye, but I just look forward to having a great time in Southern California when I should be in class and talking to people when I wait for someone else to start up. It's fun for me, I don't mind dropping the $1500 and just like any other festival, I'll find a new band there I'll enjoy. I'm sure once we get out of the traffic jams, and pass the bro's interested in some girl with her tits painted, and get out on the field to listen to the music, we'll remember why we came.

RODGERRAMJET
01-23-2011, 11:03 AM
I have to admit, I had never even seen the word "Caifanes" in my entire life up until Tuesday. But I love stories like that. Random "wtf?" bands that end up being these gigantic entities. Like...how in the world had I never even heard their name before? It blows my mind.

Ditto here. I've never heard of these Califanes guys. Yet, they're pretty far up on the bill. What have I been missing all these years? Are they like the Mexican Beatles or something?

sacleonard
01-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Ditto here. I've never heard of these Califanes guys. Yet, they're pretty far up on the bill. What have I been missing all these years? Are they like the Mexican Beatles or something?

Close. I've heard people refer to them as the Mexican version of The Cure.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Close. I've heard people refer to them as the Mexican version of The Cure.

I just check out a few videos and that is exactly who they are. LULZ at the cheesy 80's videos. But the music is nice.

tessalasset
01-23-2011, 01:50 PM
This will be my second time, I went for the first time last year and I had a great time, I even swore to myself that I would never miss another Coachella based on the experience last year. It's weird to see how many people were down on last year, though I had a great time.

People who just started to go to Coachella in 2010 do not understand why people were bummed on it because they don't have previous years to compare it to. 2009 and back were nowhere NEAR as crowded. 2010 was noticeably different. That's why people hate on it.

I'll admit parking on Friday was horrible. We left Banning at 3:30 P.M and didn't get in till around 8 while Them Crooked Vultures were wrapping up. But I had loads of fun.

See this...I would have gone postal. To miss that many awesome bands during the day? Oh man I don't know what I would have done. That's the entire point of Coachella for me.

Kid Charlemagne
01-23-2011, 01:56 PM
To be honest, I was only bummed about missing She and Him and The Specials, I'd already seen TCV and Grizzly Bear, but I was glad I got to see LCD Soundsystem, some of Echo and the Bunnymen and Fever Ray. I'm hoping I do get to experience those pre-2010 years this year with less traffic. Ither than Friday afternoon's parking from hell, the rest of the weekend went great. It took us about an hour to leave on Sunday night, and we left in the middle of Gorillaz's set, but it wasn't as bad as getting in on Friday.

Gribbz
01-23-2011, 01:58 PM
People who just started to go to Coachella in 2010 do not understand why people were bummed on it because they don't have previous years to compare it to. 2009 and back were nowhere NEAR as crowded. 2010 was noticeably different. That's why people hate on it.

See this...I would have gone postal. To miss that many awesome bands during the day? Oh man I don't know what I would have done. That's the entire point of Coachella for me.

This. I still had an absolute blast though.

Neighborhood Creep
01-23-2011, 02:00 PM
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0911/changing-times-bong-weed-cell-phone-demotivational-poster-1259435713.jpg

Penultimate
01-23-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm so glad that 2010 was my first Coachella. Based on comments from the regulars, it can't get any worse than "Clusterfuckchella". I thought 2010 Coachella was heaven on earth, so I know that 2011 is going to make my head explode.

I'm not excited about the headliners, but there are so many more acts to be stoked about. I've been using hype machine and youtube to check out bands I'd never heard of and I found new ones to fall in love with.

I think Coachella is only shitty if you let it be shitty. There are too many great performances and awesome people to have a bad time. I camped last year, I'm camping this year. I talked to so many cool strangers inside the festival and on the campgrounds. It's the best part of the year for me.

doubleUteeF
01-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Wanee, Wakarusa, Summer Camp, All Good > Coachella. From what I've seen in the past couple years the East Coast runs the table when it comes to festies. Just sayin.

ballroomdancer22
01-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Wanee, Wakarusa, Summer Camp, All Good > Coachella. From what I've seen in the past couple years the East Coast runs the table when it comes to festies. Just sayin.

stay on the east coast and your dime a dozen festivals.

the best is the west and Coachella is the oasis that you can't wait to go back to once you've experienced it.

doubleUteeF
01-23-2011, 06:36 PM
stay on the east coast and your dime a dozen festivals.

the best is the west and Coachella is the oasis that you can't wait to go back to once you've experienced it.

Wakarusa and Summer Camp are Midwest, I just threw those in there. But considering Wanee has announced Robert Plant, Allman Brothers, Widespread Panic, Steve Miller, North Mississippi Allstars, Stephen Marley, Hot Tuna, Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi, Warren Haynes Band, Lotus, Galactic...Wakarusa has My Morning Jacket, and above all, Umphrey's McGee...I will do just that. Beats the fuck out of Kings of Leon, Kanye West, and Wiz Khalifa. I'm sure Coachella is a great time, I'm just sayin,

ballroomdancer22
01-23-2011, 06:38 PM
Wakarusa and Summer Camp are Midwest, I just threw those in there. But considering Wanee has announced Robert Plant, Allman Brothers, Widespread Panic, Steve Miller, North Mississippi Allstars, Stephen Marley, Hot Tuna, Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi, Warren Haynes Band, Lotus, Galactic...Wakarusa has My Morning Jacket, and above all, Umphrey's McGee...I will do just that. Beats the fuck out of Kings of Leon, Kanye West, and Wiz Khalifa. I'm sure Coachella is a great time, I'm just sayin,

don't bother coming to Coachella unless you've absolutely convinced yourself of having a complete blast. It appears you're on the fence about it.

stay away, just sayin

gaypalmsprings
01-23-2011, 06:39 PM
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0911/changing-times-bong-weed-cell-phone-demotivational-poster-1259435713.jpg

LULz

doubleUteeF
01-23-2011, 06:40 PM
don't bother coming to Coachella unless you've absolutely convinced yourself of having a complete blast. It appears you're on the fence about it.

stay away, just sayin

LOL. I would definitely be down for the party. Few good bands thrown in there, and a festival has to be mostly about the music. Just sayin.

MarkO
01-23-2011, 08:21 PM
I have to admit, I had never even seen the word "Caifanes" in my entire life up until Tuesday. .

Me too.

calnick0
01-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Just sayin.

do you have a fucking tic or something?

doubleUteeF
01-23-2011, 09:27 PM
actually i read something in this thread that ended with it so i figured i'd hop on the wagon. then in the response it was said. so i just wanted to keep the party alive.

HandBanana
01-23-2011, 09:35 PM

I am dumbfounded as to how you are able to post on the Internet from 1973.

calnick0
01-23-2011, 09:41 PM
actually i read something in this thread that ended with it so i figured i'd hop on the wagon. then in the response it was said. so i just wanted to keep the party alive.

ok, good for you. :thu

doubleUteeF
01-23-2011, 09:44 PM
1973? That was nice. Crazy how those bands still sell out venues 30-40 years down the road, and 90% of music produced today is a fad. People are gonna look back on most of this shit like it was the disco ago.

How about Nickelback and Shinedown for last minute additions to Coachella? You'd like that wouldn't you.

My Morning Jacket and Umphrey's McGee make the whole Coachella line up's panties moist

doubleUteeF
01-23-2011, 09:47 PM
ok, good for you. :thu

I know right

MissingPerson
01-23-2011, 09:47 PM
What the hell are you.

doubleUteeF
01-23-2011, 10:03 PM
What the hell are you.

Something that looked at the Coachella line up and lol'd when I realized people actually pay almost 300 bucks to go

HandBanana
01-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Actually I'm a huge My Morning Jacket fan.
However, they have Songs.
The lion's share of the jambase scene puts me to sleep.
Fatuous aimlessness in the guise of expansive virtuosity.
A wank, in short.

Neighborhood Creep
01-23-2011, 11:08 PM
WTF is my new favorite troll!

hugs and kisses!

sacleonard
01-24-2011, 01:20 AM
I am dumbfounded as to how you are able to post on the Internet from 1973.

A week ago, we were able to post from 1969 and 2106. With the Coachella Message Boards, anything is possible.

anadeji
01-24-2011, 01:37 AM
'They walk. They look at the trunk of a redwood tree covered with historical dates. She pronounces an English name he doesn't understand. As in a dream, he shows her a point beyond the tree, hears himself say, "This is where I come from ..." - and falls back, exhausted.'

Bumblebee
01-24-2011, 03:50 AM
I hate how NOBODY is mentioning one of the BIGGEST reunions in 15 years at Coachella, Caifanes.

This is a band that has sold out soccer stadiums that hold 100,000 people.

Obviously the language barrier will prevent some from being into it. Don't forget they are billed 5th on friday, even below Interpol!!! I've seen the name before, but my friend and I were debating on how exactly one pronounces the band name - sorta rhymes with "profane" in our best guess.

Will there be more Latin Americans near the front of the stage than when Morrissey played?

Danny
01-24-2011, 04:20 AM
you read threads like this on every festival forum, in general the whole music scene changes, not just this one festival

Dogvolta
01-24-2011, 06:56 AM

This X1000.

Also, last year we were staying at a hotel just a couple miles away from the polo fields, we left the hotel room on Friday, thinking it would take an hour or so to get in, maybe a bit longer. As I've said, I've been going year after year, so I know what to expect mid day friday.
IT TOOK US FIVE HOURS. FIVE GOD DAMNED HOURS.
If that's where the clusterfuck ended, then okay, chalk it off as really unfortunate. Sadly, the whole weekend was pretty whacked out

Stickjohn
01-24-2011, 07:22 AM
The lion's share of the jambase scene puts me to sleep. Fatuous aimlessness in the guise of expansive virtuosity. A wank, in short.

profound.

doubleUteeF
01-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Actually I'm a huge My Morning Jacket fan.
However, they have Songs.
The lion's share of the jambase scene puts me to sleep.
Fatuous aimlessness in the guise of expansive virtuosity.
A wank, in short.
I understand that musical taste is all a matter of opinion, but the "jambase scene" offers some of the most intense music and creative musicians on the planet. Go check out an Umphrey's show, guaranteed it doesn't "put you to sleep". Somebody that has the ability to fuse improvisational rock, funk, soul, and blues all at the same time is quite intense when seen live. I believe the jam scene is somewhat misunderstood I guess. I can dig bands like Radiohead, The Black Keys, Arcade Fire, and bands that aren't classified as jam bands, but I can only take so many 4 minute live tracks.

faxman75
01-24-2011, 08:16 AM

THIS. It happens to me all the time. I was into mainstream alternative when a lot of these slightly unknown to the rest of the world bands were blowing people away. Like My Bloody Valentine....I didn't even know shoegaze was a genre let alone how amzing MBV were until they appeared on the lineup. Definitely heard the name before but I wasn't familiar with any songs.

This year it's Caifanes and Death From Above 1979. WHO?! Luckily the internet answers these questions fast.

TomAz
01-24-2011, 12:26 PM
the "jambase scene" offers some of the most intense music and creative musicians on the planet.

You are on the wrong message board. Go away before you get hurt.

doubleUteeF
01-24-2011, 02:19 PM

I just lol'd all over myself

betao
01-24-2011, 03:03 PM
I understand that musical taste is all a matter of opinion, but the "jambase scene" offers some of the most intense music and creative musicians on the planet. Go check out an Umphrey's show, guaranteed it doesn't "put you to sleep". Somebody that has the ability to fuse improvisational rock, funk, soul, and blues all at the same time is quite intense when seen live. I believe the jam scene is somewhat misunderstood I guess. I can dig bands like Radiohead, The Black Keys, Arcade Fire, and bands that aren't classified as jam bands, but I can only take so many 4 minute live tracks.

I was literally saying the exact same thing in my head. My friend, you belong on the boards and fanbases of Roo, All Good, etc etc. Coachella isn't for you.

And I work at a music venue that regularly books jam band acts - we even have Umphrey's coming up. As one who has seen many examples of it, I still think it's not a very compelling style of music at all.

warholbot
01-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Im just hoping ticket sales are down so they add someone great to the
line up, like they did with Prince.

betao
01-24-2011, 03:12 PM

sales are up this year. buy soon.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-24-2011, 03:19 PM

that is possibly the worst board name ever.

doubleUteeF
01-24-2011, 03:24 PM
I was literally saying the exact same thing in my head. My friend, you belong on the boards and fanbases of Roo, All Good, etc etc. Coachella isn't for you.

And I work at a music venue that regularly books jam band acts - we even have Umphrey's coming up. As one who has seen many examples of it, I still think it's not a very compelling style of music at all.

I know I'm on the wrong message board, I just figured I'd come in and play the devil's advocate for a little while. Everything I say doesn't, and won't, mean a fuck in the end so it really doesn't even matter.

All Good, yeah. Roo isn't really for me. Way too mainstream. They offer a lot of good, but a lot of shit that's played on the radio. Somewhat how Coachella is. While I'm sure it's a party of epic proportions, the diversity in this fest just isn't there. I just want Cali to put on a fest that can bring them all in, from music like Arcade Fire to the music of a band like Umph or the soul of Maceo Parker. Just doesn't seem to happen.

Have you ever seen Umphrey's? If not, you should. I have a lot of people that aren't exactly into the "jam scene" that dig them. I was hoping at some point they'd be at a Coachella just so they could show a different group of fans what they're made of. By far the best of the bunch in the "jam scene" if not the music industry in general. Songwriting, innovation, yadda yadda. You should just check them out if you haven't yet.

Realistically, I just hate radio music and this new youth electronica dubstep movement that's going on.

betao
01-24-2011, 03:28 PM
I will be seeing/working the Umphreys show when they play. We'll see how it is.

doubleUteeF
01-24-2011, 03:29 PM

Cool. They will rock the house. All bullshit aside, send me a PM on here and let me know what you think.

betao
01-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Will do.

Aleka
01-24-2011, 04:15 PM

THEY ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! I saw them in Seattle a few months back they blew my mind.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-24-2011, 04:17 PM
THEY ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! I saw them in Seattle a few months back they blew my mind.

were you on drugs at the time?

venturas90sgirl
01-24-2011, 04:24 PM
THIS. It happens to me all the time. I was into mainstream alternative when a lot of these slightly unknown to the rest of the world bands were blowing people away. Like My Bloody Valentine....I didn't even know shoegaze was a genre let alone how amzing MBV were until they appeared on the lineup. Definitely heard the name before but I wasn't familiar with any songs.

This year it's Caifanes and Death From Above 1979. WHO?! Luckily the internet answers these questions fast.

Word, while my Coachella experience every year is seeing the bands that immediately spark my interest on the poster, it's also discovering the little names that you've never heard of (although I did cry out a huge FUCK YEAH at DFA79). And this year especially has a LOT of little names I'm looking to checking out.

doubleUteeF
01-24-2011, 04:28 PM

They jam, but they are so impressive they cater really to a fan of just music in general. Drugs make their shows fun as fuck, but their creativity mixed with their epic light show make it amazing even if you're not on drugs. Doesn't really matter honestly. If they were at Coachella they would impress a mass crowd. Easily.

Bumblebee
01-24-2011, 04:40 PM
sales are up this year. buy soon.

What's the reliable source that says sales of festival passes are higher than usual?

We only know about hotels/camping/VIP sales.

Leeartlee
01-24-2011, 04:45 PM
What's the reliable source that says sales of festival passes are higher than usual?

You're right. I bet their sales are really struggling right now. They won't even be able to keep this site up for much longer. Get your post in while you still can!

betao
01-24-2011, 04:59 PM

Dani (psychic friend) has made mention of it in a recent post of hers.

Leeartlee
01-24-2011, 07:24 PM
As if she needed too.

Bumblebee
01-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Dani (psychic friend) has made mention of it in a recent post of hers.

Are you referring to this exchange from the "car camping sold out" thread?:

concertgoer: "wow at this rate I think festival passes will be sold out in a month"

PF: "based on today, that would not surprise me at all. in fact i wonder if they will last that long."

Personally, I can't tell if PF made that comment with inside info or not.

betao
01-24-2011, 08:18 PM
You know she works for GV, right?

Bumblebee
01-24-2011, 08:31 PM
You know she works for GV, right?

I know. Is she privy to up to date sale figures of festival passes?

Leeartlee
01-24-2011, 08:34 PM
yes

betao
01-24-2011, 08:37 PM
yeah, she is.

TheNamesWeUsedToKnow
01-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Realistically, I just hate radio music and this new youth electronica dubstep movement that's going on.

Umphreys = Bassnectar = New Youth Electronica Dubstep

doubleUteeF
01-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Umphreys = Bassnectar = New Youth Electronica Dubstep
If you really compare 6 guys playing instruments (Umph..2 guitars, bass, percussion, drums, and keys) to bassnectar and dubstep, you know nothing about music. To consider an actual band that writes fantastic songs, plays amazingly perfect covers (best floyd, police, beatles, and genesis covers...period), and can mash together nine inch nails "closer" with "come together" all in one track, and compare them to wannabe "DJ's" is hilarious. Take some time to pay attention.

Note...they can drop into some jams that sound like electronic music, but there's not a computer on stage. That Joel Cummins on keys. These guys are easily some of the most skilled musicians on the planet. Bassnectars will come and go, and it seems to me that anybody with a computer makes dubstep.

_John
01-24-2011, 09:01 PM
It's really impossible to say that Umphrey's and Bassnectar are similar...

doubleUteeF
01-24-2011, 09:05 PM
It's really impossible to say that Umphrey's and Bassnectar are similar...
I know right? Some people that call themselves "music fans" trip me out.