PDA

View Full Version : The Rural Alberta Advantage

BobCaygeon
01-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Looking forward to these guys. Saw them a couple months ago and the show was solid. New material coming in about a month.

The backstory is that the guitarist became homesick for Alberta after moving to Toronto and wrote a bunch of songs about it. He met the drummer while hosting an open mic night that they eventually ended up playing at all the time.

Their debut album Hometowns does not have a dud on it. What I've heard of the new material sounds just as strong.

Here are some videos to give a flavour in case you're interested.

Edmonton
OB3ceGXtj_M

Drain the Blood
_CaRUiEjofc

Frank Ab, which is about a cool story of a mountain face that collapsed and buried a town
zn1yUls25gI

Stamp, from the upcoming new album
gngPEMP3RWQ

I'll be elbowing to the front row with my Alberta flag.

alicide
01-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Canadians are awesome.

OnlyNonStranger
01-19-2011, 09:54 PM
I'll be looking for that Alberta flag but I doubt you'll have to elbow your way up.

Notorious O.O.G.
01-20-2011, 06:52 PM
we invariably left the prairies...
what a great way to open the weekend

guedita
01-20-2011, 10:02 PM
I just started listening to Hometowns and I really love it. I definitely hope I get to catch them on Friday. Finding bands like this are really why I love Coachella so much.

Still-ill
01-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Yeah that album was kind of ignored, it's really solid.

Milky
01-20-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm keen!

pachucasunrise
01-20-2011, 10:34 PM
I've been listening to them and Mount Kimbie a lot since the poster dropped. Really stoked on this.

BobCaygeon
01-21-2011, 04:06 AM
Forgot to mention that they did a Daytrotter session a while ago. Includes two songs off the upcoming album.

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/rural-alberta-advantage-concert/20030949-3738030.html

hobomilitia
01-21-2011, 07:59 AM
great band. pleasantly surprised to see them on the lineup!

LunaVC
01-21-2011, 08:02 AM
I'll be there with my Oilers jersey on!

BobCaygeon
01-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Maybe your interests go to the stories behind the lyrics. The RAA song Frank Ab is about a massive rock slide that buried a town.

Frank was a coal mining town at the base of Turtle Mountain in southern Alberta. In the early morning of April 29, 1903, the east face of the mountain fell off burying the town.

I've hiked up Turtle Mountain, and the view of the slide from up there is a sight to see.

Here's an aerial view of the face that slid:
http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/environment/naturalhazards/landslides/fig_1_land_frank_slide_1.jpg

Here's a view of the slide from on the mountain. Frank is under that rock somewhere. The grey line going left to right is the highway.
http://dowclimbing.com/images/Turtle3.jpg

More info on the slide is on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Slide

seanyb
01-21-2011, 07:25 PM
one of the best albums of 2009

grichsgang
04-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Great set to open the Outdoor today. Great sound, with passion.

nothingman00
04-16-2011, 08:04 AM
My favorite set of the day yesterday. Cold Cave was a disappointment (love both albums but that was underwhelming). The Cee Lo Green debacle was funny to watch because I was busy drinking in the tent and didn't care to see him but somebody needs to make sure that type of shit doesn't happen. Interesting Day 1, to say the least.

But RAA were killer.

BobCaygeon
04-19-2011, 07:07 PM
We got a setlist from Amy and then went to get their autographs. Super nice people. Great set too.

SPYXERO
04-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Just to avoid confusion: op, did you make it to the front with your flag? I didn't see it. But he pointed mine out! Oh and beautiful jessi from Yukon if you read this pm me! Had a nladt dancing to !!! with you.

BobCaygeon
04-21-2011, 04:57 AM
Just to avoid confusion: op, did you make it to the front with your flag? I didn't see it. But he pointed mine out!

We made it to the front, but the flag was still at home on the desk. Oops. It was much smaller than yours, however, so maybe it is just as well?

You should have swung by the autograph tent to get it signed. That would have been cool.

Phantasma Del Mar
04-24-2011, 01:12 AM
We got a setlist from Amy and then went to get their autographs. Super nice people. Great set too.

You guys were at the rail right? Me and my crew were literally right behind you. You may recall the man with the giant Mohawk (our most recognizable friend).

This was one of my favorite sets all weekend. Amazing way to start off the festival, and I felt so happy for the band to receive such a great response. I was planning on going to the signing but they had cut off the line by the time I got over there :/

BobCaygeon
04-24-2011, 07:05 AM
You guys were at the rail right? Me and my crew were literally right behind you. You may recall the man with the giant Mohawk (our most recognizable friend).

This was one of my favorite sets all weekend. Amazing way to start off the festival, and I felt so happy for the band to receive such a great response. I was planning on going to the signing but they had cut off the line by the time I got over there :/

Yep, that was us at the rail. And I do remember the mohawk. Did he fill the shirt?

hobo returns
04-24-2011, 03:43 PM
first band i saw this year. it was great. the drummer is such a beast.

Phantasma Del Mar
04-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Yep, that was us at the rail. And I do remember the mohawk. Did he fill the shirt?

He did! Many of them were numbers from women. Did not expect that.

aphrael
04-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Just to avoid confusion: op, did you make it to the front with your flag? I didn't see it. But he pointed mine out! Oh and beautiful jessi from Yukon if you read this pm me! Had a nladt dancing to !!! with you.

I was a little bit behind you, and to the right, for that. It was neat to see how happy it made you (and you'd been trying to get his attention for a while. :))

grichsgang
04-27-2011, 02:11 PM

You were right next to my son and in front of me. It was a great crowd and set the tone (at least for me) for a great weekend.

They truly appreciated the reception they were getting.

aphrael
04-27-2011, 04:13 PM
You were right next to my son and in front of me. It was a great crowd and set the tone (at least for me) for a great weekend.

They truly appreciated the reception they were getting.

Glad to know the weekend was a blast for you. (You and I chatted for a bit, if you are who I think you are based on that description, while we were waiting for the set to start. Mostly about earplugs. :))

grichsgang
04-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Glad to know the weekend was a blast for you. (You and I chatted for a bit, if you are who I think you are based on that description, while we were waiting for the set to start. Mostly about earplugs. :))

By the middle of Saturday, you had me committed to getting those earplugs for next year and beyond. Good hanging with you.

SPYXERO
04-29-2011, 07:15 PM
It made me so stoked to get pointed out!Was my goal for the weekend. I would have got the flag signed but I spaced and forgot they were doing a signing after :( Next time I get to see them I will for sure.