PDA

View Full Version : Kings Of Leon Haters: Do you not have ears?

Pages : [1] 2

GilwackSLO
01-19-2011, 02:13 PM
I was just wondering if all you v-neck sporting fedora-clad hipsters have actually listened to more than 8 kings of leon songs. great melodies, catchy lyrics, snappy tunes, timeless music? seriously though, it's OK to hate something that is popular, but maybe you haven't given them the proper chance?

please try to make it through a snoozefest like Mumford and Sons, then watch 15 mins of a kings set and tell me that every bone in your body is not rocked?

GrossMagic
01-19-2011, 02:14 PM
KOL'D

Boourns
01-19-2011, 02:15 PM
I was just wondering if all you v-neck sporting fedora-clad hipsters have actually listened to more than 8 kings of leon songs. great melodies, catchy lyrics, snappy tunes, timeless music? seriously though, it's OK to hate something that is popular, but maybe you haven't given them the proper chance?

please try to make it through a snoozefest like Mumford and Sons, then watch 15 mins of a kings set and tell me that every bone in your body is not rocked?

:laughyou

PrettyRagdoll
I've seen Kings of Leon Twice. Once at Coachella and Once at All Points West.... You know what's changed since then? They became a different band. Aha Shake Heartbreak is leagues above the crap they do now and I can't abide it

MarkO
I'm hand feeding pigeons right now to shit all over your shitty band.

Sublime
Su-PfHBuuV0

After seeing this video I'm obligated to catch these guys live.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 02:16 PM
I am not a massive KOL fan but there's no denying that Sex on Fire and Use Somebody were huge enough tunes 2 years ago to warrant them being booked as a headliner this year.

Llama of Time
01-19-2011, 02:16 PM
I like their first two albums. I really do. Good, fun southern rock. If they were playing a set of just material from this, I'd happily see them.

But their next 3 albums sucked. When 3 out of 5 of your albums are really bad, then you aren't a very good band. Not to mention those are the last 3 so I'm sure most of the material will be from those. They went from nice old southern rock to this terrible pop sound.

That and from everything I've read, they really let the fame get to their heads and sound like complete and total douchebags.

HandBanana
01-19-2011, 02:17 PM
V necks and fedoras are sensible, classy, hip pieces welcome in virtually any ensemble and good for all occasions.

303dubbin
o8xP4BFvA8I

only song i actually dig and that was cuz of fifa 04

Cuddlesthesheep
saw Kings of Leon in 04? 05? i dont know.. they were awesome then.. however i saw them last year.. nooooooo!

rebel86
YES for this thread.
Love you.

HandBanana
They are a wonderful musical group

NOF1FJ7wGhw

feather
01-19-2011, 02:18 PM
KOL'D

OMG I'm dying over here.

manalive!
how long till the flaming begins? i bet not long

tessalasset
great melodies, catchy lyrics, snappy tunes, timeless music?

This is exactly what they don't have.

I don't think they're a bad band by any means. I'm just tired of them. Oversaturation.

GnarVee
01-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Sex is on fire.....I’m the King of Leon-a-lewis

softbulletin
01-19-2011, 02:20 PM

Last two albums were shit. Absolute shit.

feather
01-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Enjoy having "every bone in your body rocked" but I'll be getting down to the Block Rockin' Beats...

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 02:22 PM
I'd rather dive face-first into a shit-filled port-a-potty toilet than watch five seconds of KOL.

GilwackSLO
oh fuck...chemical bros conflict would be awful...and i was bummed i didnt see Underworld on the poster....check out their live set at KCRW.com yesterday...

rofl i knew i was gonna get quoted a bunch on this..i was kinda laughing at myself while typing it...but its the damn truth.

rebel86

NOF1FJ7wGhw

LMAO!

greenbored
01-19-2011, 02:23 PM
their sound doesn't hurt my ears.
it's the collective cheer from all my "bro" friends who now want to go to coachella all of a sudden because KOL and Kanye are headliners that does.

LunaVC
the way Tucson man feels about KOL is how I feel about Chemical BS and Leftfield, so i guess that's how the Universe works eh Teacher?

DaFunkyPrecedent
they don't rock...that's why people say they don't rock.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nXZGRoQ-GG0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nXZGRoQ-GG0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This is Rock

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_0Q9iAcPjzc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_0Q9iAcPjzc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

kneuller
01-19-2011, 02:24 PM
i thought "only by the night" was catchy as shit for a couple months after it was recently. with that be sad, I am hoping for conflicts.

bobert
I hope they rock you right out of your $250 KOL designer jeans. Personally, I'm saving up for the KOL red bandana. Some might say that $80 is a bit much to pay for what appears to be a fairly normal red bandana. Wrong, its timeless, just like their music. Sexy fire for life.

http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/daily/100107-kings-of-leons-fashion-collection-/gallery.aspx#

303dubbin
Enjoy having "every bone in your body rocked" but I'll be getting down to the Block Rockin' Beats...

this

birdusmaximus
01-19-2011, 02:25 PM
FAIL.

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 02:25 PM
the way Tucson man feels about KOL is how I feel about Chemical BS and Leftfield, so i guess that's how the Universe works eh Teacher?

I guess so. But leave good acts out of this. This is a shitty thread for a shitty band.

jamesc2929
01-19-2011, 02:26 PM
No other way to express it....

THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DANCE MAGIC
01-19-2011, 02:27 PM
What the fuck is this band?

I have never even heard of them and they're headliners?

Get this shit out of here.

shotglass75
01-19-2011, 02:28 PM
I was one of the biggest KOL fans when I heard the first album, "Aha Shake Heartbreak" solidified that sentiment. When "Because of the Times" came out I thought they were brilliant and loved the expansion of their sound. I went to Glastonbury in '08 with them as my #1 act to see. Then something happened to their songwriting on "Only By The Night". All of a sudden the band that wrote some of the best booze swiggin', coke snortin' bluesy southern rock in the past decade or so went on to write a bunch of love ballads and arena anthems that, let's be honest, really sucked. Before "Use Someobody" even hit the radio I thought that the song was utter crap and then low and behold it's Grammy Nominated and considered their best song ever. Fuck that. The fact that I couldn't even barely make it through this last album without wanting to hurt someone pretty much summed up how terrible the band has become.

I'm listening to Aha Shake Heartbreak right now while typing this and enjoying the hell out of it, but fuck man, they just really fucking suck now. Also add the fact that every single interview or article I see about them they sound like the biggest douchebags.

And let's not forget how they panned Coachella and the people that were there after their 2007 set. I can't find the article but I am 100% positive that I read about it.

PrettyRagdoll
01-19-2011, 02:30 PM

This.

joppy-slow

NOF1FJ7wGhw

omg.. that is so sad.. did they autotune their entire album??? He should be able to hit those notes without even thinking of going falsetto.. pathetic..
And to think i liked that song and Manhattan.. I will never think of KOL the same.. ouch.

ErikFlyingV

NOF1FJ7wGhw

I'm just going to assume that this video wasn't edited in any way, shape or form.

Llama of Time
01-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Also if they were farther down the line-up, I wouldn't be so mad, but they are headliners when theres so many better options out there for headlining. And GV probably spent a good chunk of change on getting them to headline that they could have spent on acts that are actually good

Not to say they aren't big enough to headline, they certainly are at this point, but they aren't good enough to headline, theres so many better options.

rebel86
01-19-2011, 02:32 PM
people are full of shit. There's nothing wrong with the content of the music. If that was the case, they would have never given them a chance from Youth and Young Manhood and Aha Shake Heartbreak. The real problem is that whiny hipsters despise sharing their favorite music with lamestreamers and bros. This is the same cliche "Your first few albums were good, but your new shit sucks" argument that they conviently use for almost every underground band that gets popular. And somehow everyone else is wrong and they are right, and they'll continue using that age-old worn out statement for every band that wants to make a living playing music. And they wonder why people judge them and scrutinize them all of the time when they continue to be stereotypical caricatures that will forever and ever only like "the first few albums"

noolan
01-19-2011, 02:33 PM
The bro effect will be interesting stemming from KOL. On one hand I see a lot of dumb drunk bros and beer bongs in camp. On the other, a lot of empty tents at less know, awesome acts.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 02:35 PM
if Chemical Bros are considered good in most villages in Honduras then so be it

shotglass75
01-19-2011, 02:37 PM
people are full of shit. There's nothing wrong with the content of the music. If that was the case, they would have never given them a chance from Youth and Young Manhood and Aha Shake Heartbreak. The real problem is that whiny hipsters despise sharing their favorite music with lamestreamers and bros. This is the same cliche "Your first few albums were good, but your new shit sucks" argument that they conviently use for almost every underground band that gets popular. And somehow everyone else is wrong and they are right, and they'll continue using that age-old worn out statement for every band that wants to make a living playing music. And they wonder why people judge them and scrutinize them all of the time when they continue to be stereotypical caricatures that will forever and ever only like "the first few albums"

But this is the only band that I have ever had this issue with. Listen to the songs. Everything that this band did 5 or so years ago is gone. Where are the hooks? Where's the grime that made me (and many others) fans of this band? It's gone. It's polished and pussified. They have not taken their sound and made it better. it has nothing to do with everyone loving them. I was wondering why everyone wasn't loving them when they were good in 2005.

daxton
01-19-2011, 02:38 PM
What a disgusting pile of trite garbage, KOL.

AbundantChoice
01-19-2011, 02:41 PM
The bro effect will be interesting stemming from KOL. On one hand I see a lot of dumb drunk bros and beer bongs in camp. On the other, a lot of empty tents at less know, awesome acts.

This never ends up really happening. With Jack Johnson, with Tool, with RATM, heck, with Jay-Z, even with McCartney everyone was always up in arms on the board about how the crowd was going to be TOTALLY DIFFERENT and it was going to pull in all these non-coachella folks to sully the precious festival atmosphere and whatnot.

And it never happens. The tenor of the crowd may change a bit (a few more metal fans on the Tool days, a few more hackey sacs for Johnson), but 95% of the crowd is the same sort of people every year.

Llama of Time
01-19-2011, 02:41 PM
You'd have a point of their new albums sounded similar to the old albums, but they dont, the band changed their style

rebel86
01-19-2011, 02:42 PM
But this is the only band that I have ever had this issue with. Listen to the songs. Everything that this band did 5 or so years ago is gone. Where are the hooks? Where's the grime that made me (and many others) fans of this band? It's gone. It's polished and pussified. They have not taken their sound and made it better. it has nothing to do with everyone loving them. I was wondering why everyone wasn't loving them when they were good in 2005.

Those elements are still there, the overall sound just matured. I will never understand this remedial mindset of fans wanting bands music to sound the same from album to album, then you would complain that their music all sounds the same. You can easily go listen to the first 3 albums if it's that much of an issue. No one is holding a gun to your head making you listen to the last two albums-

which really sound like grown up versions of their first 3 albums anyways. The KOL backlash is hipster bullshit at its finest.

I'm surprised you guys aren't bitching about Arcade Fire.

DaFunkyPrecedent
01-19-2011, 02:43 PM

People complain that KOL newer albums are worse than their earlier one's, because they are worse...it's not because "hipsters" want to hate anything popular, "hipsters" hate on things that are stale, boring, and lacking innovation (ie. Kings Of Leon).This isn't the case for Animal Collective, this isn't the case for Arcade Fire or The National ... these bands are still LOVED by their original base because they didn't saturate their sound with mediocrity like KOL did years ago.

rebel86
01-19-2011, 02:44 PM
I do feel that their first 3 albums are more energetic and engaging, but the last two aren't "garbage" either, they are just "safe"
And that doesn't equate to horrible...

Botrocker
01-19-2011, 02:46 PM

Exactly!!!

shotglass75
01-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Those elements are still there, the overall sound just matured. I will never understand this remedial mindset of fans wanting bands music to sound the same from album to album, then you would complain that their music all sounds the same. You can easily go listen to the first 3 albums if it's that much of an issue. No one is holding a gun to your head making you listen to the last two albums-

which really sound like grown up versions of their first 3 albums anyways. The KOL backlash is hipster bullshit at its finest.

I'm surprised you guys aren't bitching about Arcade Fire.

Dude. I enjoyed the growth of the band over the first three albums and wanted them to expand on that sound and I wanted them to keep pushing forward and try new things. Unfortunately, whatever they thought they were doing to expand and grow turned out to be mediocre shit.

HandBanana
01-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Oh man.
rebel86 is a KoL superfan.
Prepare to be prom queen, cuz the board is gonna loooooove you.

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
People aren't bitching as much about Arcade Fire because they are a better band in most people's eyes on here.

shermanoaksyo
01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I remember seeing this horrible band open for Bob Dylan, once upon a time. I was desperate for them to get off the stage. Dylan was great!

DANCE MAGIC
01-19-2011, 02:51 PM
who cares? this thread is worthless. KoL are garbage, and everyone is just going to watch the chems.

rebel86
01-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Dude. I enjoyed the growth of the band over the first three albums and wanted them to expand on that sound and I wanted them to keep pushing forward and try new things. Unfortunately, whatever they thought they were doing to expand and grow turned out to be mediocre shit.

The songs sound a little more "watered down" but as i said previously- safe doesn't equate to horrible. Only By the Night have a few filler songs, but it also have some of the best songs of their career. I will never understand the hate. if i had to choose the weakest album out of their catalogue, it would probably be Come Around Sundown because only about 3 or 4 songs moved me and really stood out.

But even with KOL making their music more "safe" it still isn't "horrible"

You guys are acting as if they turned into Jonas Brothers or something.

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Rebel, you are fighting a lost cause. These people (myself included) are not going to agree with you and that is ok.

You will be able to watch at a packed Main Stage. If Tiesto can draw a huge crowd to the Main, KoL will too. You won't be alone.

DeepFriedSushi
01-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Jonas Brothers > KoL's last 2 albums.

rebel86
01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
As i said in another thread, i'm fine with it. The less douchebags around me, the better time I will have. So please do go see another band.

shotglass75
01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
What does "safe" equate to you then?

As a fan of music you usually want a band to challenge themselves and keep pushing forward to keep the fans attention and interest. If a band plays it safe or makes "watered down" music, what's the fucking point?

I'm not going to go off on you because obviously you are a bit mentally challenged when it comes to good music, but seriously take a good listen to the band that once was and what they have become. You will hopefully understand why most of us really don't like KOL anymore.

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 03:03 PM
As i said in another thread, i'm fine with it. The less douchebags around me, the better time I will have. So please do go see another band.

Which begs the question - If you are trying to avoid douchebags then why are you going to watch KOL?

That's like saying last year, "I want to avoid all of the hipster, fratboy tools, so I am going to watch Major Lazer"

Vic Viper
01-19-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm just going to assume that this video wasn't edited in any way, shape or form.
in this age of digital clarity and truth everything should be taken at face value. everything.

joppy-slow
01-19-2011, 03:06 PM
**** pong

kitt kat
01-19-2011, 03:07 PM
All I have to say about KOL is this:

Nature made a very strong point sending all the birdies to poop in their mouths. Even the birds knew the band was shit.

All you little KOL-loving high schooler tweeny boppy former homecoming queens with your cowgirl hats wouldn't know good music from that gaping hole in your brain anyway.

it's OK to hate something that is popular, but maybe you haven't given them the proper chance?

Not everyone who hates KOL automatically hates shit because it's popular. I love Lady Gaga, I'm stoked for Robyn. I've heard enough shitty KOL songs on KROQ to know I can't wait for their 15 minutes to run out.

RobertGoulet
01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
I was one of the biggest KOL fans when I heard the first album, "Aha Shake Heartbreak" solidified that sentiment. When "Because of the Times" came out I thought they were brilliant and loved the expansion of their sound. I went to Glastonbury in '08 with them as my #1 act to see. Then something happened to their songwriting on "Only By The Night". All of a sudden the band that wrote some of the best booze swiggin', coke snortin' bluesy southern rock in the past decade or so went on to write a bunch of love ballads and arena anthems that, let's be honest, really sucked. Before "Use Someobody" even hit the radio I thought that the song was utter crap and then low and behold it's Grammy Nominated and considered their best song ever. Fuck that. The fact that I couldn't even barely make it through this last album without wanting to hurt someone pretty much summed up how terrible the band has become.

I'm listening to Aha Shake Heartbreak right now while typing this and enjoying the hell out of it, but fuck man, they just really fucking suck now. Also add the fact that every single interview or article I see about them they sound like the biggest douchebags.

And let's not forget how they panned Coachella and the people that were there after their 2007 set. I can't find the article but I am 100% positive that I read about it.

Great summary here. I loved because of the times as well, still listen to that album a lot. And king of the rodeo is a wonderfully happy song. I feel like they started taking themselves too seriously after that

gooftroop
01-19-2011, 03:12 PM
I like some of their music especially off their first record, but they're a bunch of douchebags so fuck em.

nbvcide
01-19-2011, 03:13 PM
are they actually from Leon? are they royalty?

SunBrother
01-19-2011, 03:14 PM

NOF1FJ7wGhw

omg.. that is so sad.. did they autotune their entire album??? He should be able to hit those notes without even thinking of going falsetto.. pathetic..
And to think i liked that song and Manhattan.. I will never think of KOL the same.. ouch.

You do realize this is fake...

And Kings were fucking fantastic until Only By The Night. Because of the Times was great too, despite most people seem to be saying the only solid albums were their first two.

Youth and Young Manhood, Aha, BOTT - all good albums

Everything since - something definitely changed, whether the fame got to them or not, they are not the same band anymore.

guedita
01-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Have we failed to point out to the OP that The Kings of Leons wear v-necked tshirts and fedoras?

kitt kat
01-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Have we failed to point out to the OP that The Kings of Leons wear v-necked tshirts and fedoras?

This.

DeepFriedSushi
01-19-2011, 03:16 PM
I like some of their music especially off their first record, but they're a bunch of douchebags so fuck em.

So you'll be skipping Arcade Fire, then?

DANCE MAGIC
01-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Arcade Fire

who?

citizenerased
01-19-2011, 03:18 PM
idgi

gooftroop
01-19-2011, 03:19 PM

haha nice catch (wayne coyne quote reference). But no I'll probably be seeing Arcade Fire unless something else I'm dying to see is on, I just wish the headliner I was most excited about I hadn't seen 5 times already.

Seriously though KOL are a bunch of douches and while are in some ways "deserving" of a headlining spot I still say fuck them.

thewoodenman
01-19-2011, 03:19 PM
this still flabbergasts me. BLEK!

DeepFriedSushi
01-19-2011, 03:20 PM
idgi

Gooftroop knows what's up.
Love Arcade Fire, ftr.

thewoodenman
01-19-2011, 03:21 PM
i just didn't think it'd happen....i hope to jeebus something great is going on elsewhere during this set

rebel86
01-19-2011, 03:21 PM
What does "safe" equate to you then?

As a fan of music you usually want a band to challenge themselves and keep pushing forward to keep the fans attention and interest. If a band plays it safe or makes "watered down" music, what's the fucking point?

I'm not going to go off on you because obviously you are a bit mentally challenged when it comes to good music, but seriously take a good listen to the band that once was and what they have become. You will hopefully understand why most of us really don't like KOL anymore.

What a fucking cliche you are... fuck off.

gooftroop
01-19-2011, 03:22 PM
i just didn't think it'd happen....i hope to jeebus something great is going on elsewhere during this set

Sahara madness. Should be a better alternative than there was for Jack Johnson, wasn't that into the Fatboy Slim show. DYING to see the Chems LIVE finally.

sk8r408
01-19-2011, 03:23 PM
I've seen Kings of Leon Twice. Once at Coachella and Once at All Points West.... You know what's changed since then? They became a different band. Aha Shake Heartbreak is leagues above the crap they do now and I can't abide it

This.

"Your sex is on fire"? Really?

noolan
01-19-2011, 03:25 PM
This never ends up really happening. With Jack Johnson, with Tool, with RATM, heck, with Jay-Z, even with McCartney everyone was always up in arms on the board about how the crowd was going to be TOTALLY DIFFERENT and it was going to pull in all these non-coachella folks to sully the precious festival atmosphere and whatnot.

And it never happens. The tenor of the crowd may change a bit (a few more metal fans on the Tool days, a few more hackey sacs for Johnson), but 95% of the crowd is the same sort of people every year.

Point taken.

shotglass75
01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
What a fucking cliche you are... fuck off.

What's the cliche? The fact that I am explaining things to you in a rational way? A little jab shouldn't cause such hostility. Go listen to kroq and whine about it elsewhere kid.

gooftroop
01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
KOL ARE A BUNCH OF TOOLS AND THEIR MUSIC IS AT BEST WHATEVER

rebel86
01-19-2011, 03:35 PM
What's the cliche? The fact that I am explaining things to you in a rational way? A little jab shouldn't cause such hostility. Go listen to kroq and whine about it elsewhere kid.

The fact that how someone's differing taste or opinion automatically equal inferiority or a problem from your perspective.
It's so sophomoric and juvenile.

You act like someone liking KOL is detrimental to your health or something when there are much more serious things in the world to be worried about. This is what makes people like you such a big joke, a never-ending subcultural punchline.

arctic monkey of cydonia
01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
wow, you just made my day, now I find what a piece of garbage this band was, I actually was trying to accept them for once and I was quite getting in, but this vogue shit just annihilated KOL for me.

shotglass75
01-19-2011, 03:39 PM
The fact that how someone's differing taste or opinion automatically equal inferiority or a problem from your perspective.

You act like someone liking KOL is detrimental to your health or something when there are much more serious things in the world to be worried about. This is what makes people like you such a big joke, a never-ending subcultural punchline.

Not really kid. You are reading way into things. Maybe go back andre-read things in a calm tone

thewoodenman
01-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Sahara madness. Should be a better alternative than there was for Jack Johnson, wasn't that into the Fatboy Slim show. DYING to see the Chems LIVE finally.

this is what i am hopin for :thu

rjadams90
01-19-2011, 03:46 PM

When your music starts sounding like Nickelback, then yeah, I would consider that very detrimental to your health.

rebel86
01-19-2011, 03:48 PM
When your music starts sounding like Nickelback, then yeah, I would consider that very detrimental to your health.

I consider being an elitist douchebag detrimental to your heath.

rebel86
01-19-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't have time to argue with morons on the idiot. So i'll repeat this and i'm done.

"I don't care for Robyn or Interpol, but I'm not going to create threads bitching about them, because i don't care and it's not that serious. I just won't see them play. If you guys don't like KOL- don't watch them play- as simple as that.

You guys act like people owe you something, they don't even know who the fuck you are or care who the fuck you are. This is why Caleb said he fucking hate hipsters- whiny cliche predictable sheep-like group-think tools complaining all the time. STFU!!!!"

rjadams90
01-19-2011, 03:55 PM
I consider being an elitist douchebag detrimental to your heath.

Bro, I'm real big fan of their first three cd's. In fact, them and the strokes changed my life.

Take a real good listen to molly's Chambers then compare it to Sex of Fire.
They sound nothing alike

They went from being one of the grittiest rock and roll band around to nickelback sounding arena rock.

Hey, no hate towards them, they got all the fame and money now. But they lost an entire fan based that loved them along the way.

gooftroop
01-19-2011, 04:06 PM
They went from being one of the grittiest rock and roll band around to nickelback sounding arena rock.

QFT, except maybe being the "grittiest" band around.

They're a bunch of jerks who don't deserve your money. Hate to see their name at the top of the poster (probably the worst ever) but what are you gonna do? SEE SOMETHING ELSE!

shotglass75
01-19-2011, 04:06 PM
I don't have time to argue with morons on the idiot. So i'll repeat this and i'm done.

"I don't care for Robyn or Interpol, but I'm not going to create threads bitching about them, because i don't care and it's not that serious. I just won't see them play. If you guys don't like KOL- don't watch them play- as simple as that.

You guys act like people owe you something, they don't even know who the fuck you are or care who the fuck you are. This is why Caleb said he fucking hate hipsters- whiny cliche predictable sheep-like group-think tools complaining all the time. STFU!!!!"

I think we just witnessed a message board tantrum

PrettyRagdoll
01-19-2011, 04:11 PM

They better care when the people/former fans that got them where they are now all start saying they don't recognize the band the fell in love with. They can only ride on popularity so long before talent and relevant music starts being important again

hellmet
01-19-2011, 04:13 PM
KOL should play shows in middle America (the self-proclaimed country, not the properly named continent) that's what hicks needs

rjadams90
01-19-2011, 04:23 PM
I think we just witnessed a message board tantrum

Agreed. Homeboy just got pwned, lolz

Neighborhood Creep
01-19-2011, 04:34 PM
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/kings_of_leon-fail.jpg

ramblinon
01-19-2011, 04:34 PM
I hope they rock you right out of your $250 KOL designer jeans. Personally, I'm saving up for the KOL red bandana. Some might say that $80 is a bit much to pay for what appears to be a fairly normal red bandana. Wrong, its timeless, just like their music. Sexy fire for life.

http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/daily/100107-kings-of-leons-fashion-collection-/gallery.aspx#

65 pounds is more than $80... that's over $100!!

So yes, over $100 for a rather ordinary looking red banana. Regardless of my thoughts about their music, that makes me dislike this band. Throw in their recent music, and.....they should die.

rjadams90
01-19-2011, 04:36 PM
I think I might have the answer.

If you got into KOL by way of Y&YMH, Aha Shake, or BOTT, then you obviously see how they changed their sound....and every other reason why we don't like them now.

If you got into them by way of OBTN and CASD, then you probably
A. new to music
B. you like all their music and can't tell how much they've changed
C. call people hipsters, when you, yourself, are the real hipster sir
D. everything above

ramblinon
01-19-2011, 04:37 PM
This.

"Your sex is on fire"? Really?

Potentially one of the stupidest lyrics of all time. And really painful sounding to boot.

iliketurtles
01-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Yawn.
These guys make me wanna go to sleep.

venturas90sgirl
01-19-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't hate them, they just do nothing for me. And they're so fucking overplayed that even if I did like their songs at one point I don't anymore.

mistakenstrangers
01-19-2011, 04:50 PM

ACTUALLY I have, they're a totally different band now after the last two horrible albums. They lost their soul(s).

dorkfish
01-19-2011, 04:51 PM
I've seen them twice in festival settings. People seem to enjoy them. I honestly can not differentiate between what they're doing musically and what Nickleback is doing musically. I'm not surprised that they're massively popular, though.

ramblinon
01-19-2011, 04:56 PM
It severely pains me that there will probably be considerably more sexually active women at KoL as compared to the Chems. This does not, however, make the decision any more difficult. The Chems may bring me to climax on their own as it is.

mistakenstrangers
01-19-2011, 04:58 PM
I honestly can not differentiate between what they're doing musically and what Nickleback is doing musically.

ahahahahahaha. best quote ever.

The thing is, why did they only start to get MASSIVE HUGE TOP40 upon release of their 4th album. What does this say? The first three albums were so great and fresh sounding!

I remember at a party in about 2007 I put Aha Shake Heartbreak on, and my friend promptly turned it off complaining 'what IS this shit' next thing she's jamming the new album in her car two years later.

rjadams90
01-19-2011, 04:58 PM
It severely pains me that there will probably be considerably more sexually active women at KoL as compared to the Chems. This does not, however, make the decision any more difficult. The Chems may bring me to climax on their own as it is.

FACT

gooftroop
01-19-2011, 05:04 PM
But c'mon which girl is cooler, the one who chooses to see KOL or the one who knows what's up and raves to the Chems?

kitt kat
01-19-2011, 05:10 PM

Um. Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

There's no "group mentality" involved in anyone's rationalization that KOL is a terrible band. Some of us are saying "They suck," some aren't. Having an opinion makes someone a hipster? Shit, then I've been a fucking hipster since birth.

I have yet to see you make a point defending why KOL is worthy of a headlining spot -- and, I'd like to point out this is why people are making such a fuss about it. Were KOL on the second line, I think most of us would brush it off with a, "Well, at least I don't have to go see them. Man they blow." and leave it at that.

So please, Ms. "I Know Everything About Hipsters," explain to me why KOL is a band worth our time, why they're important to the pop music lexicon and what they've done to revolutionize or change music. (Because, hate to tell you this...there's no answer. They're entirely derivative and lacking in any originality. But those words are probably too big for you anyway.)

"Your sex is on fire." LOLZ.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-19-2011, 05:12 PM
CAAAAAAAAAALEB SAYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

alleysin
01-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Potentially one of the stupidest lyrics of all time. And really painful sounding to boot.

haha, it sounds like he is crying over an STD or something. See: Sex is on Fire

anonimouse
01-19-2011, 05:21 PM

very well put

StegoDee
01-19-2011, 05:21 PM
I still can't believe KoL played unopposed at Bonnaroo last year - for two hours.

Nickelback sprayed with Febreze.

fatbastard
01-19-2011, 05:24 PM
saw Kings of Leon in 04? 05? i dont know.. they were awesome then.. however i saw them last year.. nooooooo!

They sucked opening for U2, but their set in the afternoon on main stage in 2007 was enjoyable. They were already transforming from dirty looking hippies to artist with a stylist.

shotglass75
01-19-2011, 05:25 PM
CAAAAAAAAAALEB SAYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

dying!!!

ADrunkPoet
01-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Was stuck watching KOL while waiting for Arcade Fire in 2007. Though I had never listened to them before, I found them banal and uninspired.

Same shit, different Coachella.

spiggums
01-19-2011, 05:38 PM
I was just wondering if all you v-neck sporting fedora-clad hipsters have actually listened to more than 8 kings of leon songs.

it's worth pointing out that 8 songs should be MORE than enough to have an educated opinion on a band.

If I've listened to 8 songs by ANY band, and still don't like them, I've given them more time than I really should have in the first place.

spiggums
01-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Having an opinion makes someone a hipster? Shit, then I've been a fucking hipster since birth.

While we're on the topic of what makes one a hipster: If I don't like KOL, and may have a v-neck t-shirt or two in my closet, but have never owned or worn a fedora in my life... am I still a hipster?

StegoDee
01-19-2011, 05:53 PM
While we're on the topic of what makes one a hipster: If I don't like KOL, and may have a v-neck t-shirt or two in my closet, but have never owned or worn a fedora in my life... am I still a hipster?

No. Wear what you want, whether it's for comfort, style, or both. Who cares.

spiggums
01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
No. Wear what you want, whether it's for comfort, style, or both. Who cares.

clearly... I'm just always amused at people reducing the concept of a "hipster" to a few traits which are common across many different walks of life.

TallGuyCM
01-19-2011, 05:57 PM
I like their first two albums. I really do. Good, fun southern rock. If they were playing a set of just material from this, I'd happily see them.

THIS.

Cookieman908
01-19-2011, 06:19 PM
People can bitch and complain all they want but one thing about this band cannot be denied, which is their work ethic. I mean come on...5 albums in 7 years? Not to mention insane amounts of touring the world over that whole time.

Sure they might have pulled the plug on one show because of poo bird but still, I'm convinced this is one of the hardest working bands in rock and for that alone I give them some credit.

ramblinon
01-19-2011, 06:22 PM
People can bitch and complain all they want but one thing about this band cannot be denied, which is their work ethic. I mean come on...5 albums in 7 years? Not to mention insane amounts of touring the world over that whole time.

Sure they might have pulled the plug on one show because of poo bird but still, I'm convinced this is one of the hardest working bands in rock and for that alone I give them some credit.

LOL!!!! As opposed to the Beatles, who released 5 albums in 2 years, or Zeppelin, who did it in 4... man, how low have our standards dropped??

knytt
01-19-2011, 06:23 PM
That in no way means they should headline or that we should respect their music.

farglesnuff
01-19-2011, 06:27 PM

its my ears telling me not to go see them, and hate them. i have never known the hate i feel for a band the way i feel about KoL. 5 albums in 7 years? they only made 6 or 7 songs then rehashed them...

but go see them and have a great time. what do i care?

TallGuyCM
01-19-2011, 06:30 PM
When not liking a band automatically makes someone a lame hipster, it's very indicative of the lack of imagination on the name caller's part.

Cookieman908
01-19-2011, 06:31 PM
LOL!!!! As opposed to the Beatles, who released 5 albums in 2 years, or Zeppelin, who did it in 4... man, how low have our standards dropped??

You can't compare those eras. In the 60's, 70's and 80's artists were able to drop an album every year because they didn't tour nearly as much. Plus, that's where the money was made back then: selling records. Of course, nobody sells that many records anymore do they, bands make most of their money from touring nowadays.

And yes, I stand by my assertion that putting out 5 records in 7 years (whether you think the records are shit or not) while constantly touring and playing every festival on the planet is impressive. Find me acts on the poster who have been able to do the same. Bright Eyes and Kanye West come to mind but not much else. Haters gonna hate but KOL are fucking workhorses.

frazzles
01-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Anybody of any genre can put out 5 shitty albums in 7 years.

shotglass75
01-19-2011, 07:07 PM
I think it would do wonders for Kings of Leon if they did take a good 3-4 year break and then start back again. They probably would realize how terrible they have become and then hopefully put out a great album.

I won't see this band or say a good thing about the past 2 albums but I will say that if they ever put out something worthy, I'd support it.

Daft Fro
01-19-2011, 07:18 PM
KOL'D

NOF1FJ7wGhw

best KoL thread ever

shermanoaksyo
01-20-2011, 02:08 AM
never-ending subcultural punchline.

punchlines are "ending," by definition.

xstopemailingmex
01-20-2011, 03:34 AM
Touring that much isn't indicative of being good. It could (likely) mean they are simply vagrants. Music is a DIY industry now and with the awezome sound quality KoL have, I'd bet they're vagrants.

MistaGlitch
01-20-2011, 04:36 AM
I hope GilwackSLO doesn't make his way to the Sahara...you and your buddies can camp out for KOL.

tigermilkboy
01-20-2011, 05:47 AM

My friend Quint once made and released an album every month for a year and has some 30 plus career albums and 8 bands, I will let him know he can headline!

But it is a little easier when the first two album were written by someone else ie. Ethan Johns and Angelo Petraglia pretty much wrote and dictated the early KOL.
The 5th album is deemed a flop because of poor sales and lack of hits, maybe if they had taken some time with that instead of rush releasing leftovers to capitalize on their higher profile would have been better.
I would always prefer an artist to take their time and produce something good

TomAz
01-20-2011, 06:11 AM
timeless music

this sort of description is a marker which just screams "dumb as fuck".

Sigur Ros Stache
01-20-2011, 06:32 AM
KOL have one good thing going for them. They brought White Lies on tour with them so I got to see them once again on the east coast after seeing them at Chella. I paid my money, enjoyed White Lies and left after they finished.

Dogvolta
01-20-2011, 08:09 AM

Totally. YYM and ASH are absolutely fantastic. Because of the Times is fun, but after that...their change in style is so drastic that I can hardly say I enjoy them at all.

shotglass75
01-20-2011, 08:16 AM
KOL have one good thing going for them. They brought White Lies on tour with them so I got to see them once again on the east coast after seeing them at Chella. I paid my money, enjoyed White Lies and left after they finished.

Well KOL must have rubbed off on White Lies because the new White Lies album is utter garbage

tigermilkboy
01-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Well KOL must have rubbed off on White Lies because the new White Lies album is utter garbage

Very much so. This is a White Lies interview in NME. KOL are their role models LOL!! White Lies strike me as a band that will reinvent themselves to what is popular at the time. I first saw those guys in 'Fear Of Flying' which was a totally different sound.

"White Lies have named Kings Of Leon as their role models in terms of career progression.

Singer Harry McVeigh, speaking in the new issue of NME, on UK newsstands now or available digitally, said that he'd love for the trio to follow in the footsteps of the Followills and for the trio to become one of the biggest bands in the world.

"I've been reading a lot of things about Kings Of Leon's career path," he said. "Whether you like them or not, they were on a perfect rise to the level they were at. With each record they’ve grown in popularity, and I think that's a really comfortable way to become one of the biggest bands in the world."

He added: "We've toured with them, seen how comfortable they looked onstage and what a good show they put on. If we were to get to that level it'd be a really natural and acomplished way of doing it."

TomServo
01-20-2011, 09:14 AM
I was just looking at the Kings of Leon tour numbers, and they're nowhere near as impressive as folks here seem to think.

In 2009 they were #43 in North American tours, putting them behind such hot acts as:

37. Def Leppard - despite cheaper tickets and more shows, KoL was outsold and outearned by a 30-year old Britrock act with a lead singer who can't... sing.

32. Blink-182
31. Dane Cook
27. KISS

... and the list goes on. I saw a comparison to MUSE pop up now and again - while MUSE toured in 2010 (so it's not a direct comparison), they sold twice as many tickets in only 10 more shows, despite having more expensive tickets. They ended up #12 worldwide, sandwiched somewhere between Roger Waters and Justin Bieber.

Kings of Leon is no MUSE, they're not even Def Leppard, in terms of drawing a crowd. Maybe they could draw flies...

This year's big time draws are Kanye and Arcade Fire, really. The Strokes haven't improved their standing by showing up late and leaving early at their sets elsewhere, but their new album might help. Heck, in this area, The Black Keys might outdraw KoL... their Palladium tickets were being scalped for 3x face value.

http://www.pollstarpro.com/SpecialFeatures2009/2009YearEndTop100NorthAmericanTours.pdf

shotglass75
01-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Let's just hope that what happened to KOL doesn't happen to Black Keys. We have already seen the makeover on SNL

http://www.rollogrady.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/TheBlackKeys.jpg

http://hitpredictor.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/110110-black-keys.jpg?w=430&h=286

warholbot
01-20-2011, 09:55 AM
I like the kings of leon, musically - - But since they became "famous" their attitudes have changed and they have slowly become douches - canceling shows because of bird poop, whining about how they didn't want this type of fame, whatever... So yes, they make good music and I dont think thats why "hipsters" complain about them

heart cooks brain
01-20-2011, 10:10 AM
When not liking a band automatically makes someone a lame hipster, it's very indicative of the lack of imagination on the name caller's part.

I've noticed that "lame hipster" or "hipster douche" is the go to insult these days. People who don't like kol refer to people who do as hipster douches, and people who do like kol label those who bad mouth their favorite band as lame hipsters. Its fucking dumb. Not everyone can be a fucking hipster. Fuck off.

TomServo
01-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Just to clarify, is "Because of the Times" good or bad KoL? It's the only KoL CD I own, and I like it well enough.

Black Keys did look a lot different on SNL, and I just saw them a few months ago. Thank god they sounded great! The new album has a lot of strong material.

TallGuyCM
01-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Because of the Times was the beginning of the end, but it still has some good songs on it. "Knocked Up" and "Black Thumbnail" especially.

liquidsnake28
01-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Wait, so the OP was serious? Getting KOL'd is the music festival equivalent of getting Rick Rolled. They're much, much worse than the Killers and worse than Jack Johnson or Coldplay. They're a Christian band for fuck's sake, no better than Creed.

TallGuyCM
01-20-2011, 10:22 AM
no better than Creed.

Now you're just exaggerating.

PotVsKtl
01-20-2011, 10:26 AM
I was just looking at the Kings of Leon tour numbers, and they're nowhere near as impressive as folks here seem to think.

In 2009 they were #43 in North American tours, putting them behind such hot acts as:

37. Def Leppard - despite cheaper tickets and more shows, KoL was outsold and outearned by a 30-year old Britrock act with a lead singer who can't... sing.

32. Blink-182
31. Dane Cook
27. KISS

... and the list goes on. I saw a comparison to MUSE pop up now and again - while MUSE toured in 2010 (so it's not a direct comparison), they sold twice as many tickets in only 10 more shows, despite having more expensive tickets. They ended up #12 worldwide, sandwiched somewhere between Roger Waters and Justin Bieber.

Kings of Leon is no MUSE, they're not even Def Leppard, in terms of drawing a crowd. Maybe they could draw flies...

This year's big time draws are Kanye and Arcade Fire, really. The Strokes haven't improved their standing by showing up late and leaving early at their sets elsewhere, but their new album might help. Heck, in this area, The Black Keys might outdraw KoL... their Palladium tickets were being scalped for 3x face value.

http://www.pollstarpro.com/SpecialFeatures2009/2009YearEndTop100NorthAmericanTours.pdf

So nobody here likes them AND they're not actually popular elsewhere? Solid booking.

TomAz
01-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Wait, so the OP was serious? Getting KOL'd is the music festival equivalent of getting Rick Rolled. They're much, much worse than the Killers and worse than Jack Johnson or Coldplay. They're a Christian band for fuck's sake, no better than Creed.

nobody is worse than Coldplay. nobody.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-20-2011, 10:31 AM

32. Blink-182
31. Dane Cook
27. KISS

I mentioned this in the thread regarding biggest WTF booking. I don't doubt that KOL are headliners but they tour soo fucking much that their drawing power has dwindled to where it was before.
Let's face facts here, KOL were a booking made at the last minute due to not having a 3rd headliner ready.

TallGuyCM
01-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Let's face facts here, KOL were a booking made at the last minute due to not having a 3rd headliner ready.

Actually, that was Kanye.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Actually, that was Kanye.

Explain. Are you telling me KOL are a bigger draw right now then Kanye? And for the life of me, Idk why they have co headliners for Sunday.

PotVsKtl
01-20-2011, 10:35 AM
*4th headliner.

TallGuyCM
01-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Because we knew AF all along, then KOL came into the picture and the 3rd headliner still was unclear. Then all of a sudden like a week before the announcement the Kanye rumor started.

farglesnuff
01-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Let's just hope that what happened to KOL doesn't happen to Black Keys. We have already seen the makeover on SNL

http://hitpredictor.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/110110-black-keys.jpg?w=430&h=286

Black keys always were and always will be awesome.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-20-2011, 10:37 AM
*4th headliner.

were they that unsure in the booking to have a *4th headliner? So odd.

robotronia
01-20-2011, 10:38 AM
i hadn't laughed as hard after seeing the wonderful music group video since "mr. b natural". thanks for that.

so they suck at their well-paid job as well as being d-bags? maybe they should just be laptop djs who yell at the sound crew when their computer crashes......

king buzzos fro has done more for music history than kol ever will.

shotglass75
01-20-2011, 10:38 AM

Actually I think it was made months ago before the new album was released and Goldenvoice and the rest of us got screwed royally.

Miroir Noir
01-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Are KoL actually Christian-oriented? And if so, are we talking full-on Scott Stapp, or just vaguely Christian inspirational in the way that say U2 or Sufjan* are?

* And yes, I know Seven Swans generally -- and a few other Sufjan songs specifically -- is not vague at all in its Christianity.

TomServo
01-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Because of the Times was the beginning of the end, but it still has some good songs on it. "Knocked Up" and "Black Thumbnail" especially.

That's good to hear, I quite like "Knocked Up", although I rarely listen to the entire album.

All that said, I'll watch KoL unless there's a conflict, and it doesn't look like there will be. If they weren't giant douchebags and their frontman got a new haircut, I'd be much more open to Kings of Leon.

It helps that I don't listen to KROQ, so their radio-played stuff isn't completely crushed into my brain... I just had to play it with friends in Rock Band 2.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Are KoL actually Christian-oriented? And if so, are we talking full-on Scott Stapp, or just vaguely Christian inspirational in the way that say U2 or Sufjan are?

No, they're just southern.

TallGuyCM
01-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Are KoL actually Christian-oriented? And if so, are we talking full-on Scott Stapp, or just vaguely Christian inspirational in the way that say U2 or Sufjan are?

The three brothers' dad is a pastor.

Miroir Noir
01-20-2011, 10:44 AM
The three brothers' dad is a pastor.

Well so was Nietzsche's dad, right? ;)

liquidsnake28
01-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Now you're just exaggerating.

Sadly, I'm not. Use Somebody and Sex is on Fire are no better than Higher and With Arms Wide Open.

liquidsnake28
01-20-2011, 11:08 AM
No, they're just southern.

Nope, sorry but once again you're completely wrong. They're full blown Christians. Their dad is an Evangelical preacher. They mention God in several of their songs. They've said in interviews that they pray before and after every show.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3186/2735369228_a9785c3c0d.jpg

malcolmjamalawesome
01-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Daniel Tosh's dad, also a preacher.

PotVsKtl
01-20-2011, 11:11 AM
http://www.highsnobiety.com/uploads/RTEmagicC_revolver_justice_belt.jpg.jpg

concertgoer
01-20-2011, 11:11 AM

I agree with this statement

Miroir Noir
01-20-2011, 11:13 AM
dp4339EbVn8

Gribbz
01-20-2011, 11:13 AM

Shaving your beard won't turn you into Kings of Leon.

TomServo
01-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Shaving your beard won't turn you into Kings of Leon.

Thank God. I've been thinking about going for a new look, but I don't want security to follow me around, and I've never been shat upon by a bird.

I would take the cash and fame, though.

liquidsnake28
01-20-2011, 11:24 AM
and the obligatory Coldplay reference came up...i mean that's cool, there's another household name band you can pull out of a hat (fedora) and make fun of, but you are once again denying your brain and nervous system precious, timeless melodies

Hahahahahaha!! Where's TomAZ?

infestma
01-20-2011, 11:25 AM
I dno why everyone's trippin... The brothas gonna work it out

GilwackSLO
01-20-2011, 11:33 AM
although i will be branded as the tool who is defending the kings, i will let you know this is a lot of fun. i think i am just deprived of debating about music because everybody from the Central Coast, California listens to shitty cali reggae and stuff like that...most of the things i'm saying is to purely get a reaction out of you Coachella veterans and people with unparalleled tastes of music...i hope you're having fun as well..now throw me up to the gallows

grannock
01-20-2011, 11:39 AM
God forbid the majority of you will procreate, but our grandchildren will be listening to Kings Of Leon and Coldplay

This statement is full blown retard. How many kids listen to shitty rock from the 80's let alone 50 years from now listening to even shittier irrelevant rock from this past decade?

PrettyRagdoll
01-20-2011, 11:40 AM
They're a Christian band for fuck's sake, no better than Creed.

No one's worse than Creed and please don't speak that statement again. The VERY last thing I want is for the powers that be to suddenly decide we want Creed to headline

grannock
01-20-2011, 11:42 AM
I dno why everyone's trippin... The brothas gonna work it out

This. If you are clapping and singing the lyrics to some bad Kings of Leon song with your lame girlfriend instead of trying to catch your eyeballs as they drip down your face in the middle of the Sahara, you have let yourself down.

TomAz
01-20-2011, 11:43 AM
you are once again denying your brain and nervous system precious, timeless melodies

You're not a good reader, are you.

Boourns
01-20-2011, 11:46 AM
No one's worse than Creed and please don't speak that statement again. The VERY last thing I want is for the powers that be to suddenly decide we want Creed to headline

Eh, buttrock is buttrock.

Workingmenrises
01-20-2011, 11:46 AM
http://i.imgur.com/UtaAp.png

TomServo
01-20-2011, 11:52 AM
This statement is full blown retard. How many kids listen to shitty rock from the 80's let alone 50 years from now listening to even shittier irrelevant rock from this past decade?

You'd be surprised. My daughter is 16 and she knows "The Safety Dance", which sucked when I was her age, and it still sucks today.

These kids completely embrace 80's culture. Of course, there actually was a culture in the 80's (crap as it was), instead of just a mosh of crap bands trying to find a niche and make a million bucks.

McFearless
01-20-2011, 01:30 PM

This! 1 EP and 5 albums is a lot.

I've followed them for the past 7+ years and I can honestly say they never take off more than a month or two in a year. They're either in the studio or on a stage.

tigermilkboy
01-20-2011, 01:33 PM
This! 1 EP and 5 albums is a lot.

I've followed them for the past 7+ years and I can honestly say they never take off more than a month or two in a year. They're either in the studio or on a stage.

Time they took a good break then....13-14 year vacation seems due!

Mr. Porter
01-20-2011, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't mind hearing material from their first two albums, but other than that I'll be seeing the brothers work it out

McFearless
01-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Nope, sorry but once again you're completely wrong. They're full blown Christians. Their dad is an Evangelical preacher. They mention God in several of their songs. They've said in interviews that they pray before and after every show.

LOL. This is bullshit. Just because they are Christinan doesn't make them a Christian band. They aren't preaching the word unless that word is to do coke and sing about tranis.

tigermilkboy
01-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Kings of Leon are bullshit.

There I fixed it for you!

liquidsnake28
01-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Eh, buttrock is buttrock.

Nascar, christian, bud-light, buttrock. From the hood.

liquidsnake28
01-20-2011, 01:54 PM
LOL. This is bullshit. Just because they are Christinan doesn't make them a Christian band. They aren't preaching the word unless that word is to do coke and sing about tranis.

What's more Christian than tranis?

Cold Desert (KOL)
"I never ever cried
When I was feeling down
I've always been scared
Of the sound
Jesus don't love me
Nobody ever carried my low?
I'm too young to feel this old"

On Call (KOL)
"Lord you know I'll be there waiting
To be there
To be there
I'm on call, to be there"

Holy Roller Novocaine (KOL)
"Lord's gonna get us back
Lord's gonna get us back
Lord's gonna get us back"

shotglass75
01-20-2011, 01:59 PM
^

Although I kinda loath KOL, you are an idiot. They are not a christian rock band. They are a shitty band who are Christian's.

If you went through the lyrics of most bands you'd probably find the word "God", "Jesus", or Lord" throw about.

liquidsnake28
01-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Although I kinda loath KOL, you are an idiot. They are not a christian rock band. They are a shitty band who are Christian's.

The difference between the two isn't nearly as vast as you're insinuating.

If you went through the lyrics of most bands you'd probably find the word "God", "Jesus", or Lord" throw about.

Yeah, usually in blasphemous ways. I never said Tool, NIN, Slayer, etc were Christian bands.

shotglass75
01-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Slayer isn't a Christian band? Had me fooled

McFearless
01-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Time they took a good break then....13-14 year vacation seems due!

I agree with the first part of this statement tbqh. Their sound has become more polished and a good year or so break without going into the studio or touring may do them some good.

Part of their appeal when they began was that they were completely authentic (and some people hate them now for being so polished). Yet, others argue that they were "manufactured" from the start (and hate them because of that as well). This seems very hypocritical.

Producers do shape the sound of artists and have a vast influence on the way an album sounds regardless of who they are. That's a fact that's true in any genre and for any artist. However, I think some of you are giving Angelo P and Jaquire King a bit too much credit. Since the band first began many have questioned their upbringing, how they came together, whether they really wrote their own songs etc. So it doesn't surprise me that many people still take much of the rumors as fact.

Despite being dedicated to this band for a long time, and my initial appeal to them being the way they were brought, I don't really care how they act off stage or what they do in their personal time. I would think that the majority of people on here, being the musical elitist that you all are, would see past here-say and rumors, and the negative stories and judge them soley on music. I do strongly believe that many of you disregard their more recent efforts because of their reputation off the stage. I have had some great interactions with them where they were really nice and I take everything in the press with a grain of salt for that reason. I know that can't be the case with everyone but idk I'm just saying there are plenty of assholes in the industry and if we didn't listen them all then we'd be stuck listening to Taylor Swift.

I hate their 4th album as a whole, but they managed to have a couple of great songs on the record (Crawl, Be Somebody, and Cold Desert in particular). Their most recent effort, though vastly different from their previous efforts, is miles ahead of the 4th album. With their history of constantly working, I am hoping these guys are just experimenting and will ultimately go back a little more into their roots. They won't ever sound like they did on their first record though. They were hairy, poor, resented parts of their upbringing and unknown during their first record. Their music was a direct reflection of that. They won't ever be that again. They also have a long history of choosing the worst song on their records as their singles.

In terms of their live show, I've seen them 18 times since 2003. That's without me even having to go anywhere else besides San Francisco (with the exception of Coachella in 2007) which means these guys have had 100's (1000's even) of shows to perfect their sound. Their stage presence is not to be talkative but they strive to engage fans through their sound. Even if some of you dislike the music, listen to the quality of their live shows. It's damn near perfect. They don't need gimmicks.

I'm devotee of sorts and their most recent effort took a couple listens to really learn to appreciate it. So I encourage some of you who aren't as bias to do the same. Although it is nothing like or as good as their first 2 records, I still think it is a quality album. With that, I leave you with my favorite song off the new record... dquvPqWrGNo

bobert
01-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Very entertaining blog post from Groove Armada's Andy Cato, about his backstage encounter with KOL at the V-Festival. Seems like The Kings aren't winning any new fans amongst their fellow artists.

http://www.groovearmada.com/#blogs--article--Andy-Europe-England-and-the-Kings-Calvacade

Escaped from the bus nightclub around 4. By 8am, we were parked in Staffordshire and I was getting cooked in the bunk. My bed goes across the front of the bus, so with the windscreen facing the sun and too hot to touch, the in-bunk temperature was approaching the mid 40s. I tried to wish it away for a while, but there was never any choice but to get out.

Over in the artist area there was already a queue for the washrooms. Having no shower gel with me, I made the most of the waiting time by decanting some of the toilet hand soap into an empty water bottle. But the waiting went on for a long while due to a faulty water supply. Every few minutes there were the cries of people stuck with shampoo in their eyes while the plumber pulled and pushed pipes round the back.

Then I noticed the empty shower block just the other side of some temporary fencing.

A couple of us found a gap in the barrier. Out of nowhere came a very large man. "Reserved for the Kings of Leon" he said, "and so is this half of the artist toilets". It's hard to believe that someone actually phoned their agent and said "listen I know that Paul Weller, Kasabian, Florence, Stereophonics, Groove Armada + co are all sharing the artist village and facilities, but we require that you put a fence down the middle of the toilets and showers and put a large man there to keep them just for us." But somebody did.

Eventually I got scolded all over for a couple of minutes, though I was pleased with the success of the decanted hand soap.

Spent the day out and about on site, listening. Tinie Tempah had the tent packed beyond capacity and was 100% bounces and smiles behind his diamond crusted microphone. The drummer was unique in that he wore a rucksack and played standing up. Tinie is not to be confused with Temper Trap, who got off to a good start on the second stage, until it took their soundman 20 minutes to realise that the bass drum was twice the volume of anything else.

Back in Tinie's tent later was Shaun Ryder. It was shambolic but poignant. Closing with Step On, he started in top form, his voice bringing back the old Manchester magic. Then he leant on the piano and slowly faded away. Who knows what he was thinking about. Nevertheless, the odd time he picked himself up enough for a "you're twisting my melon kids", or "call the cops", it had more about it than all the polished wailings of the diva he had alongside him.

Tune of the day went to Chew Lips, even though I was the only person there to hear it. The girl can really, really sing, and she's got a stage presence all of her own - like a super cool really awkward teenager. A lot of the set was a bit monotone, mainly because there was nothing live apart from a bit of bass guitar. But then they closed with a song called "Golden Key", and I was holding back the tears.

Over on the main stage, Weller and his band were generating the only big rock n roll sound of the day. But he wasn't too happy about only the Jam songs getting a response or the couple of bottles that came his way during the quieter tunes. There wasn't a lot of tolerance for unfamiliar music anywhere that day, so he wasn't alone.

White Lies were definitely the band of the afternoon. Big sound, big choruses. The only thing lacking was a big crowd.

Backstage again, we were outside the catering tent, about to cross the path back to the dressing rooms when loads of massive blokes in suits and shades came out of nowhere shouting "don't move, don't move, DO NOT move" whilst pushing people back to the sides of the track. Was it Obama?

Tom explained that he was just crossing over to the dressing room to start getting ready.

"No you're not" said a big man.

"Yes I am" said tom.

Out came the enormous hand.

The conversation between tom and the big man got more heated. Then 4 blacked out range rovers came round the corner. One for each King of Leon. As it became clear what all this presidential fuss was about, tom gave the worldwide one fingered sign of dislike as the cars went past. The last one stopped. The drummer got out making "come on then" type gestures. "Come on then" tom gestured back. Instead, the drummer went back behind his bodyguards, and, pointing towards Tom, Paul Weller, and the various other musicians who were pinned by the side of the road, said "I want them removed."

"You will be removed" said the big man.

"No we won't"

The promoter came over, smoothed it over and apologised. Bearing in mind this was all happening backstage in the area shared by all the bands, it's hard to see what the Kings thought they were protecting themselves from. Was Paul Weller going to hound them for autographs? Was Florence going to wrestle them to the ground? Or maybe Stereophonics were going to ask them to write "your sex is on fire" on an album sleeve?

Nevertheless, the Kings had 4 minutes before going onstage to enjoy all those showers and toilets they'd kept to themselves.

We had a great crowd for our gig. Hat off to Staffordshire. It was the gig of the weekend.

We came off stage into the van that would take us back round to the dressing room. As we weaved through thick woodland, a message came over the radio to the driver to pull off the road, repeat, "Pull Off The Road." Guess who.

The Kings were on their way out.

So we waited, reluctantly, whilst getting pretty annoyed with our driver for stopping. A few of us got out, to give the Kings a fond farewell.

Eventually, a couple of buses for crew and entourage came round the corner, followed by the 4 individual range rovers. What a lonely existence.

Back in the artist area, there was a good vibe around the bar. 3 cases of champagne were sent over to GA HQ as a thanks for telling it straight to the Kings.

Andy Cato

Workingmenrises
01-20-2011, 02:35 PM
It's hard to believe that someone actually phoned their agent and said "listen I know that Paul Weller, Kasabian, Florence, Stereophonics, Groove Armada + co are all sharing the artist village and facilities, but we require that you put a fence down the middle of the toilets and showers and put a large man there to keep them just for us." But somebody did.

^ THIS

McFearless
01-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Very entertaining blog post from Groove Armada's Andy Cato, about his backstage encounter with KOL at the V-Festival. Seems like The Kings aren't winning any new fans amongst their fellow artists.

http://www.groovearmada.com/#blogs--article--Andy-Europe-England-and-the-Kings-Calvacade

Are you going to keep posting this article? Its well known they have a reputation for being divas. How does this affect anyone that is a fan though? I don't see the point. They are respected among some artist and some artist hate them. So be it. You aren't (not) sharing a backstage area with them so let it go man.

sbessiso
01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
They are respected among some artist

source?

faxman75
01-20-2011, 02:41 PM
The difference between the two isn't nearly as vast as you're insinuating.

Yeah, usually in blasphemous ways. I never said Tool, NIN, Slayer, etc were Christian bands.

lol So rap artists who talk about Jesus and the Lord are actually Christian Rap?

Come on now. That's just ridiculous.

liquidsnake28
01-20-2011, 02:43 PM
How in the fuck did you get that from what I said? You are hopeless.

Miroir Noir
01-20-2011, 02:50 PM
I think what faxman is saying -- and certainly what I was attempting to tease out in my original question -- is that there is a difference between artists who are Christian (or really any religion/political affliation/etc.), and who even make overtures and references to their faith, and artists who are explicitly Christian (that is, artists that have a stated purpose of using their music to convert people to Christianity). The latter sense is what I would traditionally associate with being a "Christian band." From what I've read KoL doesn't seem like a Christian band in that sense.

rdcortes22
01-20-2011, 02:51 PM

Very wise!!

travelfan
01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Well, to be honest I think as in so many things in life the truth is somewhere in the middle. Let's be real, KOL have drastically changed their sound to a decidedly more commercial slant. For a band that was essentially hailed as the return of Southern rock, nothing in Sex on Fire sounds Southern to me. If you really dug their first sound, you aren't going to like their new stuff. I have no issues with people critiquing that aspect of their band.

That being said, I also do think part of the backlash is because of how famous they are. Not saying anybody here is a "hipster douchebag", just that I do think their fame is a big cause of the retaliation. MGMT was the exact opposite...people loved them before they were famous, then when they got famous they bitched and claimed the "Big 3" songs weren't really MGMT's real sound (although they constituted 30% of their album), and then when MGMT recorded that atrocity of an album Congratulations many people were willing to praise it because it marked their departure from commercialism.

I am more than willing to admit that the music community hates it when their bands get successful and 13 year old girls become fans. Whether we like it or not, most hardcore music fans HATE listening to bands that are also widely accessible to the mainstream public. I wish people would stop pretending that this doesn't happen. This has been a stereotype of music aficionados for decades, and where there's smoke there's fire. I'll even admit, I do it. I have to catch myself all the time from making pretentious comments and "disliking" artists I used to like because the public is catching on.

Kings of Leons latest CD is all kinds of awful, but if they weren't huge and were still on the poster the uproar would be so much less than what it is. Yes, I know that part of the uproar is that they are a headliner, but I honestly don't think people would be nearly as passionate about hating their music. All of you guys are going to be at Chemical Brothers anyways so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

McFearless
01-20-2011, 02:54 PM
source?

Your mom. (http://google.com)

EDIT: No but seriously: Lykee Li, Eddie Vedder, Bono (whatever that is worth), Christie Hyde to name a few.

Workingmenrises
01-20-2011, 02:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ZGMj3.png

tigermilkboy
01-20-2011, 02:57 PM
I agree with the first part of this statement tbqh. Their sound has become more polished and a good year or so break without going into the studio or touring may do them some good.

Part of their appeal when they began was that they were completely authentic (and some people hate them now for being so polished). Yet, others argue that they were "manufactured" from the start (and hate them because of that as well). This seems very hypocritical.

Producers do shape the sound of artists and have a vast influence on the way an album sounds regardless of who they are. That's a fact that's true in any genre and for any artist. However, I think some of you are giving Angelo P and Jaquire King a bit too much credit. Since the band first began many have questioned their upbringing, how they came together, whether they really wrote their own songs etc. So it doesn't surprise me that many people still take much of the rumors as fact.

Despite being dedicated to this band for a long time, and my initial appeal to them being the way they were brought, I don't really care how they act off stage or what they do in their personal time. I would think that the majority of people on here, being the musical elitist that you all are, would see past here-say and rumors, and the negative stories and judge them soley on music. I do strongly believe that many of you disregard their more recent efforts because of their reputation off the stage. I have had some great interactions with them where they were really nice and I take everything in the press with a grain of salt for that reason. I know that can't be the case with everyone but idk I'm just saying there are plenty of assholes in the industry and if we didn't listen them all then we'd be stuck listening to Taylor Swift.

I hate their 4th album as a whole, but they managed to have a couple of great songs on the record (Crawl, Be Somebody, and Cold Desert in particular). Their most recent effort, though vastly different from their previous efforts, is miles ahead of the 4th album. With their history of constantly working, I am hoping these guys are just experimenting and will ultimately go back a little more into their roots. They won't ever sound like they did on their first record though. They were hairy, poor, resented parts of their upbringing and unknown during their first record. Their music was a direct reflection of that. They won't ever be that again. They also have a long history of choosing the worst song on their records as their singles.

In terms of their live show, I've seen them 18 times since 2003. That's without me even having to go anywhere else besides San Francisco (with the exception of Coachella in 2007) which means these guys have had 100's (1000's even) of shows to perfect their sound. Their stage presence is not to be talkative but they strive to engage fans through their sound. Even if some of you dislike the music, listen to the quality of their live shows. It's damn near perfect. They don't need gimmicks.

I'm devotee of sorts and their most recent effort took a couple listens to really learn to appreciate it. So I encourage some of you who aren't as bias to do the same. Although it is nothing like or as good as their first 2 records, I still think it is a quality album. With that, I leave you with my favorite song off the new record...

I do judge them on the music first and they have got progressively blander, meaningless and crapper. Then they are whiny douchebags from personal observation and have become more so.
So what is to like about them again?

DaFunkyPrecedent
01-20-2011, 03:09 PM

will they mind then that I'm running around high as a kite for 4 days acting like a heathen and a sinner?

TomServo
01-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Interesting points about KoL selling out.

I stopped listening to Metallica after their Bob Rock-inspired Black album sell-out "Load" was quite literally the only CD I've ever returned for a refund because I hated it that much. The Cult, one of my all-time favorites, had their own Bob Rock-inspired sell-out that literally ended their mystique and overall musical value. BUT... all that said, I would still go see Metallica as a festival, and I've gone to see The Cult several times since they sold out.

The band is not necessarily a worse band for having sold out, if they're a great live act, or they'll play their good music, there's still value. And hey - Metallica is probably the most apt comparison, since they're gigantic douchebags who sued Napster, kicked out their bassist, and made a stupid self-promoting behind the scenes tearfest. That doesn't mean they can't tear through "Sanitarium" or "One" the same way they did twenty years ago.

Of course... all of this is leveraged by whether or not KoL had enough value to maintain that after their sellout. The Cult put out three great, distinct albums before they sold out - Dreamtime, Love, and Electric. Most of what came after were radio rock jams. For me, the material on those three albums was strong enough that I could forgive the band trying to make some sheckles.

bobert
01-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Are you going to keep posting this article? Its well known they have a reputation for being divas. How does this affect anyone that is a fan though? I don't see the point. They are respected among some artist and some artist hate them. So be it. You aren't (not) sharing a backstage area with them so let it go man.

I've never posted this before and I feel it's relevant information. What if Tom Rowlands shits his pants because Caleb and his army of stylists have commandeered all the bathrooms to tease his hair? I can't abide it.

PJandBompton
01-20-2011, 03:50 PM
the thing that has never made sense to me about them selling out is the fact that the guys in the band actually have REALLY good taste in music...

McFearless
01-20-2011, 03:51 PM
I do judge them on the music first and they have got progressively blander, meaningless and crapper. Then they are whiny douchebags from personal observation and have become more so.
So what is to like about them again?

Their work ethic, their willingness to progress (depsite your personal opinion that it has gotten worse)... Anything beyond that is subjective.

Personally, I think they're really nice when it counts. IE: to fans.

the thing that has never made sense to me about them selling out is the fact that the guys in the band actually have REALLY good taste in music...

I concur. The one that really knows his stuff is the youngest one, Jared, but I feel like he probably has the least power in the band because of their whole family dynamic. Or it could be the exact opposite and their strifing to remain relevant and failing.

I've never posted this before and I feel it's relevant information. What if Tom Rowlands shits his pants because Caleb and his army of stylists have commandeered all the bathrooms to tease his hair? I can't abide it.

It's been posted at least 3 other times that I've seen. Maybe not by you. I'm glad you think someone ele's bowel movements are relevant to your life.

le cab
01-20-2011, 04:43 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfcmocv0as1qfdr1vo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1295659672&Signature=4p%2BiXyTV4d%2Fbc92vW4qJo2mGZEM%3D

problem solved.

BrickTop24
01-20-2011, 05:14 PM
since 08, coachella started a shitty headliner pattern

first it was Jack Johnson, then it was The Killers, then last year it was Jay Z, now the Kings Of Leon and Kanye West tie as shitty headliners this year.

im missing the good old days already

hendrixfan143
01-20-2011, 05:30 PM
since 08, coachella started a shitty headliner pattern

first it was Jack Johnson, then it was The Killers, then last year it was Jay Z, now the Kings Of Leon and Kanye West tie as shitty headliners this year.

im missing the good old days already

last year it was muse not Jayz.

liquidsnake28
01-20-2011, 05:31 PM
... and Gorillaz. 09 had the best headliners overall.

sin213
01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
agreed that muse was the letdown headliner of last year. i dont hate them, but they are far from headliner material of that calliber.

gorillaz were just a bit off their game....they could have been a great headliner and made the mistake of making coachella their first "real" gig together as a new band. the shows i saw later in the tour were amazing and on a different level than the coachella show.

and in response to the title of the thread....if i were to listen to KOL, then no i would not have ears because i would be trying to saw them off with whatever i had available to stop the torture.

BrickTop24
01-20-2011, 05:35 PM
last year it was muse not Jayz.

i only saw the first part of muse's set and i didnt think they were that bad ( i ditched them to see Less Claypool).

but Jay Z had no place in coachella same with Kings Of Leon and Kanye West.

shotglass75
01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
The thing about KOL's fame is that I was championing it the entire way and I really thought that by the 3rd album they should have been bigger here than what they were. They were selling out arenas in the UK and headlining Glastonbury way before they were here. The unfortunate thing is that when they finally hit the mega star status in the States, their music started to take a dive.

I also think that the fact that not a year has gone by where KOL hasn't been at a fest I attended makes a huge difference. And seeing as the show really hasn't changed that much over the years except for some blander songs, it's easy to get sick of them.

bluemamba
01-20-2011, 07:04 PM

NOF1FJ7wGhw

Worth a good laugh.

TomServo
01-20-2011, 08:03 PM
I really don't understand the Muse hate. They're headlining festivals all over the place, and they were the #12 most popular act last year - sandwiched between Roger Waters doing The Wall and Justin Bieber doing whatever the hell she does. Coachella got them when they were one of the top 15 acts in the world, that's not a letdown of a headliner.

On top of that, they're hella good musicians with a huge backlog of very good songs, a strong A/V component to their show, and they sold out shows at Staples and elsewhere in the area. They sold out their first Staples show in a day, and it took Jay-Z months to do that.

If you don't like their last album, that's okay, but it doesn't make them Jack Johnson.

elChurro
01-20-2011, 08:15 PM
SAY NO TO CHRISTIAN ROCK! KOL is infecting other bands (CWK) we need to put a stop to this.

FairfaxandFountain
01-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Last two albums were shit. Absolute shit.

^^^

grannock
01-21-2011, 04:41 AM
Gorillaz was by far the shitty headliner last year. Muse was pretty good, I didn't expect that. I was hopping that Gorillaz was going to slay to close it all out and it was one of the worst shows of the entire weekend.

KOL will be opposed by something good, so who cares if Christan Rock fans want to listen to their bland stale band?

tigermilkboy
01-21-2011, 05:46 AM
agreed that muse was the letdown headliner of last year. i dont hate them, but they are far from headliner material of that calliber.

gorillaz were just a bit off their game....they could have been a great headliner and made the mistake of making coachella their first "real" gig together as a new band. the shows i saw later in the tour were amazing and on a different level than the coachella show.

If you went to the Muse arena shows you would have seen they are headliners. Besides the fact that they have had far more experience at headlining and playing huge stand alone shows than gorillaz.

gorillaz were off their game again! But it seems to be fairly hit and miss with anything Damon does live.

Dogvolta
01-21-2011, 05:49 AM
Gorillaz was by far the shitty headliner last year. Muse was pretty good, I didn't expect that. I was hopping that Gorillaz was going to slay to close it all out and it was one of the worst shows of the entire weekend.

KOL will be opposed by something good, so who cares if Christan Rock fans want to listen to their bland stale band?

Gorillaz was possibly thee worst closing act of any Coachella

MeatsNotNeat
01-21-2011, 07:36 AM
KOL is an awful live band... extremely boring.THe new cd sucks ass. Almost as bad as the killers headling saturday 09.

heart cooks brain
01-21-2011, 08:49 AM
I canlt believe this dumbass thread is still active. People who like KoL aren't going to be convinced by people who don't like KoL that they suck, and vice versa. Circlejerkchella.

I'dDoItAllAgain
01-21-2011, 10:23 AM
You'd be surprised. My daughter is 16 and she knows "The Safety Dance", which sucked when I was her age, and it still sucks today.
That's just because it was on Glee. :p

RageAgainst
01-21-2011, 12:30 PM
I saw them in 07 at coachella and was surprised i found myself saying wow these guys really fucking rock i had no clue,i then saw them again at outside lands in august and that was actually a good set they covered where is my mind,played a bunch from aha heartbreak and only the good songs from because of the times but man man there last two alums were shit i got super tired of sex on fire and use someody and come around sundown is a unch of slow love songs were is the rock!? I think ill see the chemical brothers close it out im hoping its a way diff set than the one i saw at the bowl

TallGuyCM
01-21-2011, 12:36 PM
they covered where is my mind

:nono :nono :nono :nono :nono

RageAgainst
01-21-2011, 12:42 PM

nah it was actually a great fucking cover lots of soul

TallGuyCM
01-21-2011, 12:51 PM
I watched the youtube of it and it was absolute horseshit.

liquidsnake28
01-21-2011, 01:10 PM
If you went to the Muse arena shows you would have seen they are headliners.

But it seems to be fairly hit and miss with anything Damon does live.

No, I saw Muse in an arena. They're really not that good.

I'd be willing to bet that Blur was pretty much always awesome live.

StopMakingSense
01-22-2011, 10:09 AM
it's his voice ... nothing wrong with the music really... its just that voice. i rather listen to the greatest speeches by margaret thatcher on my way to coachella then play the kings of leon

Sleeping Lion
01-22-2011, 10:12 AM
They should close Sahara!!!!!!!

ErikFlyingV
01-22-2011, 10:12 AM
I hate when singers intentionally crack their voice as if to add emotion.

But that's just me. And every one else who has ears and who has ever listened to Kings of Leon. I'm sorry but they fucking suck. No, really. I try to open about my music and not put down other artists, but goddamn. Goddamn. These guys are just pure fucking shit and there is no two ways about it. Fuck them and fuck their stupid halfassed Lynyrd Skynyrd-Jack Johnson act. Fin :winkiss

heart cooks brain
01-22-2011, 10:14 AM
it's his voice ... nothing wrong with the music really... its just that voice. i rather listen to the greatest speeches by margaret thatcher on my way to coachella then play the kings of leon

did you really have to resurrect this retarded debate with a recycled opinion? this thread is stupid and should be given aids.

StopMakingSense
01-22-2011, 10:40 AM
did you really have to resurrect this retarded debate with a recycled opinion? this thread is stupid and should be given aids.

i hate his voice.

boarderwoozel3
01-22-2011, 11:21 AM
It seems like the whole having ears thing combined with trace amounts of common sense has led these so called "haters" to said conclusion.

Not saying, just saying.

Gribbz
01-22-2011, 11:25 AM
"Jay-Z and Kanye have no place at Coachella."

GTFO. Hip-hop has always been present at Coachella. Always will.

sonofhal
01-22-2011, 12:37 PM
I first saw Kings of Leon back in 03 - First on out of four in a tiny venue. Back then they were......

...who am I kidding. They were shite back then too.

liquidsnake28
01-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Exactly. They were always terrible. I hate all this "they used to good" and "they weren't as bad back then with the first couple albums" Just because they weren't the biggest piece of shit in the world yet doesn't mean they weren't absolute 100%, certified shit.

TallGuyCM
01-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Maybe so, but this song's fucking rad:

DcR2QpD2ZZ4

liquidsnake28
01-22-2011, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't call that rad at all. He's singing like a jackass, in a different way than he does now, but still like a jackass.

TallGuyCM
01-22-2011, 03:57 PM
http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=108399 (http://www.gifsoup.com/view/108399/kings-of-leon-the-matt-dance.html)

liquidsnake28
01-22-2011, 04:09 PM
They're inspiring legions of future rock stars around the globe.

May God have mercy on our souls.

KeJrx2fa5EM&feature=related

f-ZMs5uaHZA

nIqx1P4Xdks

byq8JVbNpNY

ZmSgCl3Tcis

I didn't even search for Sex Is On Fire. ..... fuck

TallGuyCM
01-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Dear god. Those all belong in the "Next Time You Try to Look Hot" thread.

heart cooks brain
01-22-2011, 06:45 PM
somebody ban this nimrod

didimydoe3
01-22-2011, 07:58 PM

NOF1FJ7wGhw

This video makes me laugh every time I watch it. I also laugh every time someone cries over Queens of Leon.

The_blakeness
01-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Su-PfHBuuV0

After seeing this video I'm obligated to catch these guys live.

Really wish this was still them... they wont play old stuff, I checked out their lastest set list only 2 songs being from their good (first 2) albums.

Once he cut his hair it was the death of the band and turned in to a product... very sad

zmann
01-23-2011, 12:31 PM

You have to listen to at least 8 songs before you like them?

newnostalgia
01-23-2011, 12:40 PM
okay so can we all agree KOL sucks donkey dick and the only ones that do not have ears or musical taste are those still listening to them?

newnostalgia
01-23-2011, 12:41 PM
i say we boycott KOL and Demand The White Stripes.

knytt
01-23-2011, 12:45 PM
i saw we boycott newnostalgia and Demand you fuck off.

Fixed.