PDA

View Full Version : Is this the first lineup...

psycobetabuckdown
01-19-2011, 09:57 AM
with headliners that hadn't released an album in the 1990's?

Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, The Strokes, Kanye. KoL and The Strokes barely existed in the 90s, the other two did not exist as artists.

Does this bring Coachella into the next generation, am I finally too fucking old, and do you think Soundgarden will ever headline?

sleepybrew
01-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Really? I hope being in our mid twenties isn't too old, even for Coachella. :)

psycobetabuckdown
01-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Maybe the fact that I like all these headliners (ok kol is the elephant in the room) is proof that indeed, I am not too old. Not that that was really a question, but it was interesting how four years ago everyone was complaining that all the headliners were 90s acts (and had headlined before). Now it seems the 90s have been left behind. A single tear for fans of the Smashing Pumpkins.

sleepybrew
01-19-2011, 10:14 AM
^hahaah

It also seems that, with the high placement of other bands quickly ascending the popularity ladder (see black keys and animal collective) that GV is setting up future promotions to headlining acts

HandBanana
01-19-2011, 10:17 AM
I have enjoyed the legendary headliners, but at some point you have to get on with making new ones.
And for the first time in a long time, the last few years have felt like we have a bunch of Big Star Personality acts again.
Im all for it.

Tho KoL eat farts.

thefrush
01-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Is it also the first time all of the headliners have played Coachella previously?

braundiggity
01-19-2011, 02:00 PM
I remember reading articles a few years back wherein promoters were questioning if it was still possible for new acts to grow to headliner status (given the general degradation of the music industry). To have these four, all legitimate headliners (all will have sold out MSG at some point, which I think is a good barometer), is something to be celebrated regarding the state of the industry. I would have loved to see the Stones, but I'm psyched nonetheless.

microcuts
01-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Is it also the first time all of the headliners have played Coachella previously?

Bjork, Chili Peppers, and Rage headlined in 07, and all three had not just only played the fest before, but had previously headlined.

This would be the first year that all three headliners had "graduated" to headliner status though.

Miroir Noir
01-19-2011, 02:08 PM
It's the first lineup with a night featuring a headliner and a top billed subheadliner who have released all of their recorded work entirely on independent labels.

nbvcide
01-19-2011, 02:14 PM

'07

nbvcide
01-19-2011, 02:17 PM
it's the third time we've had co-headliners on a single night

braundiggity
01-19-2011, 02:30 PM
it's the third time we've had co-headliners on a single night

The first Coachella....when else? Aside from the brief moment where Portishead and Kraftwerk were co-headlining.

WhyTheLongFace
01-19-2011, 02:33 PM
I was gonna say last year but forgot Jay-Z came out in 96

psycobetabuckdown
01-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Yeah last year and this year are similar in feel - very indie friendly, taking it away from the dino appeal and headliners, while smaller, are generally really good. I think we'll see less and less of superstars like Chili Peppers and Foo Fighters headlining. Or maybe our definition of superstar will change.

TickleMeElmo
01-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Considering we've just recently entered a new decade, I'm totally fine with this.