PDA

View Full Version : Who are the best LIVE acts of 2011?

RageAgainstTheAoki
01-19-2011, 07:11 AM
While there are many fine recording artists on the lineup this year, I'd like to know who you believe are actually the great concert artists. Who puts on a good show?

Unfortunately, not everyone who makes a decent album can translate their work into a live setting in an engaging or even tolerable manner. I'm looking at you, Crystal Castles.

So please do the following...

Name the artist
If you'd care to, let us know why you believe he/she/they are a great live act (a brief live review, a description of what makes them such a great live artist, etc)
Add an embedded YT video of one of the artist's stellar live performances.
Where applicable, give credit to Suprefan if he recorded the performance.

Looking forward to reading your responses!

nbvcide
01-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Jack Beats...

of my Top 10 non-Coachella shows of last year, Jack Beats were 4 of them.

here they are, having the midnight countdown inside the LA Sports Arena at TAO 2010/2011:
IlvVD3WWi4Q
Dq4ImucATHM

RageAgainstTheAoki
01-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Number 3 is not optional.

locality
01-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Ratatat

But you have to be close enough to watch the guitarist, Mike Stroud.

bSPnUnaGtSs

nWqOBmd_ZAM

nbvcide
01-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Number 3 is not optional.

fixed.

mlant
01-19-2011, 07:34 AM
The Black Keys - Your Touch

Not exactly an unknown artist, but I believe them to be one of the finest live bands I've seen in a while. What I mean by that is that they sound better live than on record, which is usually the opposite of the case. They have energy for days and when I saw them last year they easily played a 2.5 hr set, never once letting up. Well worth your time.

Hcc07MyG1aU

RageAgainstTheAoki
01-19-2011, 07:39 AM
Okay! There we go, guys. Good job getting those vids in there. Keep 'em coming!

The Black Keys - Your Touch
Not exactly an unknown artist

Thanks for the submission, mlant. My intent in creating this thread was not for us to discover the lesser known artists on the bill, but just to find out who you're all most excited about seeing live. I would encourage you to post responses from artists on the bottom row all the way up to and including the headliners.

PlayaDelWes
01-20-2011, 03:16 PM
This thread needs bumped.

Neighborhood Creep
01-20-2011, 03:39 PM
mf10f8aTR6s

synth-drop
01-20-2011, 03:42 PM
i think Sasha is one of the best live DJ's of all time. he plays electronica - it's not abrasive, it's not loud, just mellow progressive chill awesomeness. his sets sound like this:

K1_E3jHqu8s

here's the full 3-hour set: http://soundcloud.com/sashaofficial/sasha-never-say-never-ushuaia-ibiza-2-9-10

sk8r408
01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
The Kills

First saw them at Coachella 2005 and they blew me away. Crazy energy. Awesome live rock show. I can't wait to see them for the 4th time!

R0tL-3i1lZ4

unit300021
01-20-2011, 04:24 PM
mf10f8aTR6s

So is Deathcrew77 just the addition of a drummer then?

mittens4kittens
01-20-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm really excited for Mount Kimbie.

I think they are a great live act because their music is really good and they perform it well live- it's fascinating to me to see and hear stuff like this being produced live. More interesting than most guitar-wielders for sure.

oNANQVYibq0

fredbull
01-20-2011, 04:39 PM
So is Deathcrew77 just the addition of a drummer then?

yes and now they perform their stuff live....

personally i feel like they lost a lot of energy...

i saw them at coachella in 09 and in san diego that summer, and they were nuts, but i feel like they lost a lot of momentum in their live set. I'm also not a huge fan of romborama though...

edbangme
01-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Marina and the Diamonds

=NQYo6rXVIGY

edbangme
01-20-2011, 04:47 PM
fuck how do u embed youtube vids : /

fredbull
01-20-2011, 04:50 PM
As far as live shows i have seen Flogging Molly a number of times over the past decade, and they always put on an amazing show!

Never gets boring, and they are full of energy!

Gr46RJs0ixE

fredbull
01-20-2011, 04:51 PM
fuck how do u embed youtube vids : /

after you click the you tube button you put just the part after the = sign in there.

so you put the Gr46RJs0ixE

Not the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr46RJs0ixE
in between the
[YT]

If that made any sense

Cuddlesthesheep
01-20-2011, 04:54 PM
the chemical brothers can not be missed!
also, interpol a few years back put on a great live show.. however, their new album is meh.. so we will see.

WhyTheLongFace
01-20-2011, 04:59 PM
haha Flogging Molly looks fun. I may have to check them out

evasquez7
01-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Chemical Brothers

Just watch the video

GpzQXGLY4Y4

Mr. Porter
01-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Laidback Luke tore it up at EDC. He transitioned from his usual cheesy house stuff to filthy dubstep

JB0_au1RP2M

evasquez7
01-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Laidback Luke tore it up at EDC. He transitioned from his usual cheesy house stuff to filthy dubstep

Ya for like what, one song. I like dubstep, but I remember how everybody was in awe because he brought dubstep to the main stage. And his set at EDC wasn't even that great. You probably took too many drugs.

ng123
01-20-2011, 05:13 PM
The Strokes!!

L3ZMabdnEwc

y7hMKvnauzY

Cwtr46nAgSU

AND MORE RECENTLY....

26rmg8X7B9M

LTwxC-RgQBk&feature=related

fredbull
01-20-2011, 05:20 PM
The audio in this is not very good but i believe its pretty self explanatory.....

HhJRUKkZAL4&feature=fvw

evasquez7
01-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Two more:

Duck Sauce
yo4ky_XKpZs

Magnetic Man
m2vWQFHP3D0

Again, just watch the vids.

BrickTop24
01-20-2011, 05:22 PM
id have to say Eryka Badu. i saw her at Smokeout and she was amazing. im looking forward to seeing her perform on saturday.

Cuddlesthesheep
01-20-2011, 05:23 PM
I0tC_1Xmd5Y

fredbull
01-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Two more:

Duck Sauce

Magnetic Man

Yes and yes!!!!
Duck Sauce will be the party in the Sahara! and Magnetic man i have heard is amazing! but i haven't personaly seen them

evasquez7
01-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Yes and yes!!!!
Duck Sauce will be the party in the Sahara! and Magnetic man i have heard is amazing! but i haven't personaly seen them

Indeed it will be. Hopefully I can find a hot chick to dance with and snort coke off her tits for Duck Sauce!

synth-drop
01-20-2011, 05:32 PM
oNANQVYibq0

that got so good once the percussion kicked in.

nothernexposure
01-20-2011, 06:06 PM
i think Sasha is one of the best live DJ's of all time. he plays electronica - it's not abrasive, it's not loud, just mellow progressive chill awesomeness. his sets sound like this:

K1_E3jHqu8s

here's the full 3-hour set: http://soundcloud.com/sashaofficial/sasha-never-say-never-ushuaia-ibiza-2-9-10

thanks for the link, but do we know he's playing a live show? i guess he always uses ableton to spin, which sometimes gets billed as live but really is nothing more than a dj set.

evasquez7
01-20-2011, 06:11 PM
thanks for the link, but do we know he's playing a live show? i guess he always uses ableton to spin, which sometimes gets billed as live but really is nothing more than a dj set.

Dude. An ableton live set is way different then a dj set.

DopeMatic3002
01-20-2011, 06:11 PM
http://blog.lp33.tv/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/kanye-west-glow-in-the-dark-tour2.jpg

Yeezy will teach us well.

nothernexposure
01-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Dude. An ableton live set is way different then a dj set.

hardly. i mean they CAN be, but listen to any of sasha's recent live shows and tell me if there's some notable mixing that couldn't be done on a pair of turntables.

anyways, i'm personally looking forward to trentemoller. i'm assuming he's playing live cause he's billed for ultra that way. also, they posted that video on the front page of his live show, so i doubt theyd just give him a dj set.

there's not a whole lot on youtube but...
ElgYaLZDb5A
and in case you missed this 1iDhEWozfII

evasquez7
01-20-2011, 06:22 PM
hardly. i mean they CAN be, but listen to any of sasha's recent live shows and tell me if there's some notable mixing that couldn't be done on a pair of turntables.

anyways, i'm personally looking forward to trentemoller. i'm assuming he's playing live cause he's billed for ultra that way. also, they posted that video on the front page of his live show, so i doubt theyd just give him a dj set.

Ok. I know Sasha uses live, but thats way different. Im talking Deadmau5 set vs traditional DJ set. HUGE difference.

nothernexposure
01-20-2011, 06:29 PM
psh. deadmau5.

evasquez7
01-20-2011, 07:25 PM
psh. deadmau5.

Yes, I know everybody hates him. But as a performer, you cant deny he has talent. If you disagree you're just lying to yourself.

TallGuyCM
01-20-2011, 07:31 PM
LOL @ all the electro monkeys posting about the Sahara acts and no one having mentioned the fucking ARCADE FIRE yet. There's a reason they're known as one of the most electric live acts out there right now.

If you've seen them before, you know what I'm talking about. If not, don't miss their set on Saturday night.

QGKTvWESonU&feature=player_embedded

MissingPerson
01-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Uh. Unless you're prone to epilepsy.

nothernexposure
01-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Yes, I know everybody hates him. But as a performer, you cant deny he has talent. If you disagree you're just lying to yourself.

i think it's the opposite. his productions are stellar. anyone who denies their merit is lying. his live shows on the other hand wouldn't be shit if it he didnt have all the lights and other gimmicks.

fredbull
01-20-2011, 08:27 PM
i think it's the opposite. his productions are stellar. anyone who denies their merit is lying. his live shows on the other hand wouldn't be shit if it he didnt have all the lights and other gimmicks.

I agree completely i am a fan of his production, but i've tried to see him twice and left early both times because i got bored....

edbangme
01-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Marina and the Diamonds

NQYo6rXVIGY

LickTheLizzard
01-20-2011, 09:14 PM
I know they have already been mentioned, but Beetroots DC77 was surprisingly good when I saw them a few months back. I went in to the night completely skeptical and almost expecting a train wreck, but I have to hand it to them...they really brought a lot of energy. If you havent seen them, i would recommend checking out their set (barring any conflicts).

Here are some videos I took at the show:

Mj-uFeyIErY

CBW9-VCurL4

LickTheLizzard
01-20-2011, 09:37 PM
I like this thread, so I'm gonna keep posting.

Don't miss The Tallest Man on Earth. I love his albums, but this man is meant to be heard live. Here is some footage I got from his show in Tucson:

i4l-i9c0gdo

fredbull
01-21-2011, 01:11 AM
^^^^
yes!! He is my number 1 for the weekend!

JelloPuddingChat
01-21-2011, 01:46 AM
I'm really hoping for Titus Andronicus > Flogging Molly. What a sweaty awesome time that would be.

frazzles
01-21-2011, 02:13 AM

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1418/15488910150358244830297.jpg

JamesMills
01-21-2011, 02:31 AM
They don't get half the credit they deserve on this board, but that will change after you all see them at Coachella; The Drums are incredible live.

Jonathan Pierce is just godly live, he has this incredible Jim Morrison-like stage presence that drips with confidence and glory; his dramatic late entrance alone is better than most band's whole sets, straight up. His voice is fearless and he's constantly switching octaves off the top of his head. Beyond Pierce, the rest of the band imbue so much energy, oftentimes doing crazy dances in the background. It's verrrry rare that you see a live band enjoy themselves this much; and it's not just a Matt and Kim silly enjoyment (which is awesome in its own right, no doubt about it), it's a serious commitment to their work and their collective faith in their sound.

Here's "Down By the Water" from the last show I saw them at; just wait until the second verse, fucking incredible (and check out his whimsical octave variations during the chorus):

p1dpWrPXF9E

EDIT:::

LOL @ all the electro monkeys posting about the Sahara acts and no one having mentioned the fucking ARCADE FIRE yet. There's a reason they're known as one of the most electric live acts out there right now.

If you've seen them before, you know what I'm talking about. If not, don't miss their set on Saturday night.

I still haven't seen them live, so they're my second most anticipated act this year just because I love their first albums so very, very dearly...

... but Butler's voice sounds so awful in every live video I see. Is it really not distracting when you're there somehow just because of the energy?

I mean it just sounds awful usually, like he's not even singing. Just talking and barely even keeping in the lower octave key doing that

AndLeoObre
01-21-2011, 03:24 AM

Amen!!!

evasquez7
01-21-2011, 06:55 AM
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1418/15488910150358244830297.jpg

Thats obviously before his set. I really dont care about Deadmau5, im just saying he knows how to work live. Check out this video I shot of him in Vegas. He def knows how to mix on the fly. Haters will be haters I guess.

q3P5aAcUVCw

MissingPerson
01-22-2011, 11:55 AM
I still haven't seen them live, so they're my second most anticipated act this year just because I love their first albums so very, very dearly...

... but Butler's voice sounds so awful in every live video I see. Is it really not distracting when you're there somehow just because of the energy?

I mean it just sounds awful usually, like he's not even singing. Just talking and barely even keeping in the lower octave key doing that

A lot of their original songs are deliberately out of his natural vocal range for effect; eventually all that screaming took it's toll and damaged his voice on top of that. He's never going to run away to join Grizzly Bear or anything, but that's not the kind of band Arcade Fire ever wanted to be anyway, you don't really go to one of their shows to sit back and watch through opera binoculars from your private balcony.

It's not something that ever really registers with me, but I'm not one to really get hung up on vocals at all, and I generally find "good" singers pretty boring because all the expression's been ironed right out. For me, Butler's voice does like 70% of the work when it comes to selling me the sentiment behind each song. If he had a "better" voice, I don't think they'd work nearly as well, particularly as a live act, which is the important bit.

Anyway, yeah, I guess it works for most other people too, you never really hear anybody coming away from an Arcade Fire show going "Man, that would have been a blast if it wasn't for those damn vocals."

heart cooks brain
01-22-2011, 11:59 AM
I've heard people complain about Regine's vocals in a live setting, but haven't had the pleasure of being there myself, as they've never played Detroit.

Mucho Maas
01-22-2011, 12:03 PM
I've heard people complain about Regine's vocals in a live setting, but haven't had the pleasure of being there myself, as they've never played Detroit.

the word is ummmm, squeaky.

snuker
01-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Hopefully I can find a hot chick to dance with and snort coke off her tits for Duck Sauce!

hopefully i don't punch out a hipster at duck sauce

BayAreaIsBetter
01-22-2011, 12:19 PM

No one goto arcade fire. They totally suck live. Stay in the sahara. =}

MissingPerson
01-22-2011, 12:25 PM

Fair enough, and don't get me wrong, it's a valid criticism - it's just not something that gets in the way of the show, it's not really a crucial component of the exercise. I'd bet that the folks you heard that from still enjoyed the crap out of themselves.

To me, getting hung up on somebody's vocal consistency - rather than how they use their voice, and what they use it for - is just a really wrongheadedly scientific way of looking at what is, after all, an art. Like, I get that it's important, but getting bogged down in the point feels a little like complaining about a great author's handwriting.

rage patton
01-22-2011, 01:31 PM

THIS. The fucking transition from Power Out into Rebellion is one of the greatest moments in live music to ever exist. Every time I hear it, my mouth drops to the floor. It is just so fucking fantastic and flawless. Brilliant. BRILLIANT, I say!

heart cooks brain
01-22-2011, 01:36 PM
THIS. The fucking transition from Power Out into Rebellion is one of the greatest moments in live music to ever exist. Every time I hear it, my mouth drops to the floor. It is just so fucking fantastic and flawless. Brilliant. BRILLIANT, I say!

x1000

This is my favorite part of the Lolla bootleg and the MSG webcast. I can't wait to be there.

RageAgainstTheAoki
01-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I don't want this to turn into an Arcade Fire thread, but since they are a headliner, I guess a fair amount of discussion is just fine. I did not get to see them on their most recent tour because I had to give my tickets away to someone who was not Suprefan (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42708).

I've seen these guys since they were touring tiny clubs and I have to say that the iffy vocals and sometimes a bit too rough-around-the-edges sound did interfere with my enjoyment of the shows. However, they seem so on point in all of their recently televised concerts. I don't think the band has ever sounded so well put together. They have a more focussed, more muscular feel. And everyone's vocals are the strongest I've heard from them -- even Regine. They managed to improve as musicians and vocalists without losing that manic energy which made their shows so involving even when the vocals were less than stellar. Needless to say, I think their set will easily have the largest crowd of the weekend.

So... who else you got, people?

DANCE MAGIC
01-22-2011, 06:45 PM
not Suprefan (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42708).

quality.

LickTheLizzard
01-22-2011, 11:33 PM
I went and saw Best Coast tonight and I really enjoyed their set. Although I will probably not see them at Coachella if their are any conflicts (part of the reason I went tonight), they were a lot of fun. Bethany is really funny on stage and interacted with the crowd and her band members very well. There was a lot of enjoyable banter between songs and they sounded great. The highlight of the show was Bethany's voice and showmanship. So if you don't have anything going on Sunday afternoon, I would recommend stopping by and checking it out.

Here are some videos I took:

Md--d82Uomk

orksBOYKJKQ

and on a side note, Wavves was a blast. I expected to hate them, but they put on a hell of a show. All in All, it was a good night.

bobberson27
01-23-2011, 12:36 AM
THE AQUABATS

Seriously one of the most amazing bands I have ever seen live. They are better live than on CD, wear legit costumes and fight supervillans on stage. what more could you ask for?

9zOccdL1m8w

ZRwejq6tkAU

ujpvAUUN3eY

abbeyroad 04
01-23-2011, 07:20 AM
Mumford and Sons. Not a big production but mad energy. The crowd feeds off them really well.

jsnake0123
01-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Haha the video of the Strokes - Someday (Front Row) I shot this year at Outside Lands
The Strokes really are a cant miss for Sunday

untzcrate
01-23-2011, 11:44 AM
mf10f8aTR6s

Am I the only one that's noticed that those keyboards are there for show?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Bloody Beetroots, but if all you're doing is adding live drums to your tracks, then be it. But don't parade around keyboards pretending to do a live version of your tracks.

I think it's silly that they put their hands on the keyboards and synths and act like they're actually playing something.

Sir Bob Cornelius Rifo just lost some cred for me.

summerkid
01-23-2011, 11:56 AM
The National is a great live band that hasn't been mentioned yet. While I feel that sometimes the guitar isn't loud enough on their recording material, live they envelope Berninger with sound.

bxWQMyoYJBU&ob=av2em

summerkid
01-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Sorry I intended to include this is in my last post, but Elbow is another great live band its just unfortunate that they are buried in the lineup and won't be able to showcase it.

VpZG1udYxHc

fredbull
01-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Am I the only one that's noticed that those keyboards are there for show?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Bloody Beetroots, but if all you're doing is adding live drums to your tracks, then be it. But don't parade around keyboards pretending to do a live version of your tracks.

I think it's silly that they put their hands on the keyboards and synths and act like they're actually playing something.

Sir Bob Cornelius Rifo just lost some cred for me.

i don't know, its hard to see it from way up there, i wish we had a close up, but indeed it seems that you hear chord changes in the song yet the fingers aren't moving...... hmmmmm further investigation is waranted..... do we have another justice debacle on our hands??

http://www.residentadvisor.net/images/news/2008/justice-whp-not-plugged-in.jpg

sacleonard
01-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Sorry I intended to include this is in my last post, but Elbow is another great live band its just unfortunate that they are buried in the lineup and won't be able to showcase it.

VpZG1udYxHc

Great clip. Can't wait to see them.

kuuguy
01-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Great clip. Can't wait to see them.

Great song, I'll admit. It lured me into buying tickets to one of their shows. But in my opinion, only good song I heard from them and left the show pre-maturely, biggest disappointment of a band/show I've experienced. Trying not to hate but just fore-warning in case you haven't done further research into their catalog, just offering up my experience in hopes of helping someone else avoid making the same mistake I did, as I'm sure there will be plenty of better acts to catch at the same time, again in my opinion. I really don't understand how they are as big as they are in Europe??? to each their own.

MissingPerson
01-23-2011, 04:34 PM
One Day Like This is great live, 'specially if the crowd knows the words.

ILxlVqf2fYU

Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver has a sort of weird Bond theme thing that I very much like, too.

They have a higher profile here 'cause they're a British band, so they got a bit of momentum behind them thanks to Jools Holland's show and the Mercury Music Awards and what have you. They've been plugging away for a few years like, so they built up a solid reputation slowly kind of like The National, rather than just breaking through with Grounds For Divorce, as I think they kinda did over in the US.