PDA

View Full Version : Rodney

mob roulette
03-06-2007, 08:51 AM
this came today. don't know if you LA types have had an assful or what, but i always considered him fairly important to what came to be known as "alternative" music. anyways:

RADIO PERSONALITY RODNEY BINGENHEIMER TO BE HONORED WITH
STAR ON THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME

Rodney Bingenheimer
Honorary Mayor of Hollywood Johnny Grant
Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, President/CEO Leron Gubler

2,330th Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame

7021 Hollywood Boulevard

Friday, March 9, at 11:30 a.m.

Rodney "on-the-'Roq" Bingenheimer, is one of the best known disc jockeys in the world, and has been called "The Prince of Pop." His show on Los Angeles' KROQ-FM has been a hit with youth of all ages since it's inception in late 1976, becoming famous for, among other things, the newest and the best rock music for all of L.A.'s "in-crowd" and forward thinking listeners.

Rodney appeared on the Monkees' TV series as a regular guest,
and was Davy Jones' stand-in when he was a kid. As a teenager, Rodney grew up with hundreds of rock stars, including: The Monkees, Sonny & Cher, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Byrds, Elvis Presley, and David Bowie (while landing Bowie a record contract with RCA .) Rodney Does a Bowie salute every year on that star's birthday as well as doing a Phil Spector salute on that producer's birthday.

In the early 1970s he owned a nightclub called Rodney Bingenheimer's English Disco, located on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles, near his various Curson Street apartments of the past 30 years. It was a favorite hangout of many rock stars and introduced much of Los Angeles to glam rock.

Due to his far reaching connections within the burgeoning Hollywood music scene, Bingenheimer was given a show on the then relatively unknown Pasadena FM and AM radio station KROQ, called Rodney on the Roq, which began in 1976 and continues to the present day, albeit with some changes in time slots.

In the 70's Rodney made his name as a national columnist for "Go" and "Phonograph Record" magazines; and he also operated and co-owned his club, "Rodney Bingenheimer's English Disco", an L.A. club where Bowie, Iggy Pop, T.Rex, Suzi Quatro, Led Zeppelin, and the Sweet were all regulars. In fact, the list of Rodney's friends in music, TV and movies is a "Who's Who" of rock. Rodney even recorded a single with Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth and Eric England of Hole called "I Hate the 90's" produced by Cameron Jamie.

He was the first to play records by - and interviews with such artists on his KROQ show as: Blondie, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, Van Halen, The Go-Go's, Nina Hagen, The Cramps, Nena, The Clash, The Cure, The Smiths, The B-52's, Billy Idol, Adam Ant, Echobelly, Ride, X, Siouxie and the Banshees, Bad Religion, Duran Duran, The Jam, The Bangles, The Runaways, Redd Kross, Bananarama, Joan Jett, Tom Petty, Dramarama, Teenage Fan Club, Suede, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Echo and the Bunnymen, No Doubt, Blur, Elastica, Belly, L7, Sonic Youth, Nirvana, Rialto, Placebo, Oasis, The Verve, Kent, Ash, Gene, Travis, Coldplay, Doves, JJ72, The Strokes, Starsailor, The Hives, The Vines, Black Rebel, Motorcycle Club, and The Electric Soft Parade plus over 300 celebrity interviews!

Rodney's movie credits include Up in Smoke, Rock 'n' Roll High School, Repo Man, Get Crazy, Back to the Beach (with Pee-Wee Herman), The Runnin' Kind, Rockula, Inevitable Grace, and Frank Zappa's newly-released Uncle Meat and Mondo Hollywood "TSOL Live From O.C." (on home video), as well as videos by The Ramones ("Something to Believe In"), Lifestyles of the Ramones and the Monkees ("Heart and Sole"). Rodney also hosted KDOC-TV's "Request Video" program in L.A. and Orange County, and UHF's "Notes From The Underground. Rodney also played a character in Nickelodeon's "Sponge Bob Square Pants."

Then there were the books; Rodney has been mentioned in: I'm With the Band by Pamela Des Barres; the Bowie biographies: Stardust, Alias David Bowie, and The Bowie Chronology; as well as Ultra Violet's Famous for Fifteen Minutes; Elvis: The Legend and the Music; The Monkees' Tale; Wonderland Avenue; Led Zeppelin: Hammer of the Gods, ; Ramones: An American Band; Route 666: On The Road to Nirvana; Networking In The Music Industry; George Harrision's Dark Horse; Life as Such, by Lord Such; Hollywood Rock; and Making Tracks: The Rise and Fall of Blondie, "Little GTO".) Other Books included: Waiting for the Sun; The Look, by Paul Gorman; The L.A. Musical History Tour and The Punk Rock Diary.

Today, as always, Rodney represents the young. He plays music you can't hear anywhere else in America on the radio - local L.A. artists, punk, imports, and psychedelic 60's music; and he supports it with his continuous involvement in the L.A. and world-music scenes. In short, the key to Rodney Bingenheimer's success is his Janus-like ability to recognize the past - while always looking toward the future in music.

mozabilly54
03-06-2007, 08:54 AM
that's very old news. it was announced that he'd get a star last fall.

mob roulette
03-06-2007, 08:59 AM
oh. well they just sent me the invite to the ceremony today. maybe i'll go. who knows?

jackstraw94086
03-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Blast from the past.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/jackstraw94086/rue.jpg

J~$$$
03-06-2007, 09:00 AM
hahahahaha how many times was that photoshoped?

Rodney Bingenheimer!!!!!

ToddThaGod
03-06-2007, 09:03 AM
good one

mozabilly54
03-06-2007, 09:26 AM
I love him, great guy. He invited me to attend a while back but I can't make it. Not living in LA hurts me sometimes. Here's an article I wrote about him. Enjoy!

http://www.smashmagazine.com/webissue19/rodney.gif

psychic friend
03-09-2007, 09:05 AM
A bunch of us from my office are going down to watch Rodney get his star today. well deserved!

vinylmartyr
03-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Dude discovered David Bowie.

fatbastard
03-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Anyone going to The Fonda tonight? It would be nice to see Rodney and the Donnas.

psychic friend
03-09-2007, 01:22 PM
The star thing was way fun. so old school. Great turn out. I'm so happy for rodney. I'm going to go back and take a pic of the star later. :)

Yablonowitz
03-09-2007, 01:23 PM
God damn you Rue for leaving us! You prick!

fatbastard
03-09-2007, 01:29 PM
The star thing was way fun. so old school. Great turn out. I'm so happy for rodney. I'm going to go back and take a pic of the star later. :)

Was Richard Blade there?

sonofhal
03-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Anyone going to The Fonda tonight? It would be nice to see Rodney and the Donnas.

You'd have to be mental to miss Redd Kross too! (or a few thousand miles away)

psychic friend
03-09-2007, 01:49 PM
yes richard blade was there.

fatbastard
03-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Son of a bitch.

kroqken
04-05-2007, 10:54 PM
I was there also, if you look up his star ceremony on youtube.com, you will see me in the front row.

kroqken
05-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Of course, Rodney does not even own a computer. He personally hates computers.

mozabilly54
05-23-2007, 07:09 AM

Yes, this is very true. If you have to contact him, write him a letter...that is the best way. If you send him an e-mail it could take a month to get to him. Coworkers print them out and give them to him to read. Or you can just call him at home if you have his number like me! (We're friends. He's awesome.)

kroqken
05-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Rodney is at Canter's almost every night at his own table. I am afraid to bother him.

kroqken
05-24-2007, 07:42 PM
ALso, he is a vegetarian, he never eats meat. He has never smoked a cigarette, done any illegal drugs and does not drink alcohol, even back in the 1960s and 1970s.

fatbastard
05-25-2007, 06:17 PM
He's there almost every time I go. I always pass by and say hi on my way upstairs to the bathroom.

fatbastard
05-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Yes, this is very true. If you have to contact him, write him a letter...that is the best way. If you send him an e-mail it could take a month to get to him. Coworkers print them out and give them to him to read. Or you can just call him at home if you have his number like me! (We're friends. He's awesome.)

Son of a bitch!

kroqken
05-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Rodney would be a good edition to this message board.

fatbastard
05-25-2007, 07:27 PM
He would. He would fit right in.

TomAz
05-25-2007, 08:18 PM

Rodney would be a good edition to this message board.

please resolve this conflict.

corbo
05-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Rodney is at Canter's almost every night at his own table. I am afraid to bother him.

i've seen him like 3 times at canters...he always looks distraught

kroqken
05-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Rodney is probably nicer to girls than those asshole guys out there that treat women like shit.

kroqken
11-18-2009, 07:49 PM
I called Rodney Bingenheimer during his show a couple of weeks ago. I asked him about Coachella. He said you will never see me there. I asked him why and he said he does not like heat and large crowds. http://www.myspace.com/rodneyontheroq is an amazing page, so much history to the man. He still plays very cutting edge music. He is mentioned several times in a new David Bowie biography I just came across at a bookstore.

kroqken
11-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Maybe someone can give Rodney a ride to Coachella, then he would go.

HunterGather
11-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Give Rodney a chaaaance!

BROKENDOLL
11-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Maybe someone can give Rodney a ride to Coachella, then he would go.
Oh, Ken, you're kidding?...Rodney doesn't have a license either?