PDA

View Full Version : Sleigh Bells 2011

choice cat
01-19-2011, 02:14 AM
Two years in a row? Don't understand this "band". Don't understand this decision. Don't understand placement on line-up. Why?

rebel86
01-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Stop hatin. Sleigh Bells rawk.

rage patton
01-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Second worst band on the line up. After Neon Trees.

iliketurtles
01-19-2011, 02:18 AM
Their album was pretty good, never seen them live though but I guess that their last year set was a disaster.

JamesMills
01-19-2011, 02:21 AM
Haven't you heard?

Xzocvh60xBU&playnext=1&list=PLFE2CC86E028B8E67&index=1

choice cat
01-19-2011, 02:22 AM
Stop hatin. Sleigh Bells rawk.

can't really find the "hatin" in my post.

mistakenstrangers
01-19-2011, 02:34 AM
they were good in 2010, but I think it was before they really hit the big time and had sorted their stage show out. none the less, she will rawk that stage

rage patton
01-19-2011, 02:37 AM
They will, in fact, not "rawk." Instead, they will stab you all in the ears with knives and you, the gullible audience, will believe Sleigh Bells are actually playing music.

choice cat
01-19-2011, 02:40 AM
I'm beginning to believe one of them MUST be the rich spoiled child of some record label/ music business big wig.

daxton
01-19-2011, 02:40 AM
Why indeed.

choice cat
01-19-2011, 02:43 AM
They are now also the default video on coachella.com .........................

nbvcide
01-19-2011, 07:03 AM
I'm beginning to believe one of them MUST be the rich spoiled child of some record label/ music business big wig.

somebody at Goldenvoice is their manager or something.. but they did blow up more last year than any other Coachella act

orangejulius
01-19-2011, 07:20 AM
I saw them last year at Pitchfork... technical problems made it slightly embarrassing. Their set can only possibly be around 35 minutes due to lack of songs, (they ran out at Pitch) and their album was okay until you heard it too many times, so how are they billed so high?

In all honesty, I've never been in a crowd that was so retarded-crazy as the Pitchfork Sleigh Bells set. I felt like I was getting waterboarded while being repeatedly kicked in the balls. This is coming from a guy whose seen Slayer, KMFDM, NIN, Ministry and a hundred death/thrash/metalcore bands and found them tame in comparison.

Oh well, at least it should draw the crowd away from some of the other acts I want to see. If you haven't seen them at least once, it's worth it just to check out, even if you don't like Treats.

I'd personally rather see a reunited Head Wound City or an ironic set from The Locust.

fikus222
01-19-2011, 07:48 AM
Saw them open for Yeasayer and then saw them yet again when they opened for Hot Chip and:

http://delusionaltruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/hated-it.jpg

orangejulius
01-19-2011, 07:52 AM
I don't blame you; the backtrack was cheesy and production left a lot to be desired. I mean, the only real instrument being played is a single guitar...

They could probably just put on their CD minus vocals and no one would know the difference. :)

Miroir Noir
01-19-2011, 08:11 AM
If there's two things that put asses into seats, its gimmicky and loud.

zachyd
01-19-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm stoked to check them out. I love the album

Harrisment
01-19-2011, 09:04 AM
They were absolutely the worst set I checked out last year. One of the most painful experiences of my life. It was fucking terrible and rivaled only by the Crystal Castles train wreck of 2009.

PrettyRagdoll
01-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Their album was pretty good, never seen them live though but I guess that their last year set was a disaster.

Nope, their set last year was pretty awesome

DANCE MAGIC
01-19-2011, 02:10 PM

actually, it's one bitch that used to teach jr. high and a dude that used to be in a shitty band called Poison the Well.

Miroir Noir
01-19-2011, 02:19 PM
The most annoying part of their add -- and the only part that has absolutely nothing to do with my inherent dislike of this band for its own sake -- is that it will probably fuel all of the offseason "bring back x, y, or z act who just fucking played the previous festival" threads.

Necie
01-19-2011, 02:36 PM
I loved their set last year, love their album and am totally looking forward to seeing them perform again this year...the only thing I am extremely confused about is how they are billed higher then Gogol Bordello?! Is it because they are on separate days or something like that?

bluemamba
01-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Checked their set last year. It wasn't bad. For the time slot that they got and no conflicts, why not watch them. That might not be the case this year with them getting a set time close to sundown rather than sunrise.

braundiggity
01-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Who exactly -- on Friday -- should be billed higher than them? They're a major buzz band, their shows clearly sell well, and their debut was the 9th most acclaimed album of last year (according to the Village Voice Pazz & Jop poll (http://www.villagevoice.com/pazznjop/albums/2010/)).

I love about half of the album, though it can be too loud and abrasive for me to make it all the way through. But when I passed by their tent last year, I got sucked in big time. I couldn't see anything, but they sounded pretty damn good from where I was, at least for the couple songs I stayed for.

DANCE MAGIC
01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Who exactly -- on Friday -- should be billed higher than them?

Boyz Noize, A-Trak, Titus Andronicus, !!!, Ozomatli, Omar Rodriguez Lopez, Flogging Molly, The Aquabats, and maybe Klaxons....

don't get me wrong, I like Sleigh Bells, I saw their set last year, and I'll see them again this year. I was just shocked that they were billed that high. Yeah, I know, their songs are in a grip of car commercials... but still. Just sayin.

kneuller
01-19-2011, 03:04 PM
saw their set last year and three other times most recently in october. aside from having more songs to play, their live show isnt any better. I was very surprised they are playing back-to-back and are billed so high. I wish it were the XX or Beach House playing in their place.

braundiggity
01-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Boyz Noize, A-Trak, Titus Andronicus, !!!, Ozomatli, Omar Rodriguez Lopez, Flogging Molly, The Aquabats, and maybe Klaxons....

don't get me wrong, I like Sleigh Bells, I saw their set last year, and I'll see them again this year. I was just shocked that they were billed that high. Yeah, I know, their songs are in a grip of car commercials... but still. Just sayin.

I guess we'll have a better idea when Sleigh Bells announce an actual tour for this year, but I'd guess they're playing as-big or bigger venues than those acts (some of whom aren't even headlining clubs yet). What I know right now is, their album last year was more acclaimed, and they overflowed the Gobi in the early afternoon last year in one of their first shows. They're objectively bigger than most if not all of those acts.

DANCE MAGIC
01-19-2011, 03:13 PM
I guess we'll have a better idea when Sleigh Bells announce an actual tour for this year, but I'd guess they're playing as-big or bigger venues than those acts (some of whom aren't even headlining clubs yet). What I know right now is, their album last year was more acclaimed, and they overflowed the Gobi in the early afternoon last year in one of their first shows. They're objectively bigger than most if not all of those acts.

You realize that Sleigh Bells only have one album, right? I mean, you're obviously wrong about this whole thing, I just don't care enough about it to try and debate you. Plus, I like Sleigh Bells, so we're really on the same side here. Can we just agree that no one fucking cares and move on?

Llama of Time
01-19-2011, 03:18 PM
They'd be better with a full band, but I enjoyed them when they opened for LCD Soundsystem....

braundiggity
01-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Can we just agree that no one should fucking care and move on?

I fixed that for you. Though I'm not wrong, at all.

DANCE MAGIC
01-19-2011, 03:58 PM
whatever.

they better play this song this year. that's all i'm sayin.

9q77Zu75JtY

Miroir Noir
01-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Because the universe of fucking Sleigh Bells songs is so wide that they might forget about it?

DANCE MAGIC
01-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Because the universe of fucking Sleigh Bells songs is so wide that they might forget about it?

well, they didn't fucking play it last year. ass.

Thief of Fire
01-19-2011, 05:03 PM
I enjoyed their set last year, although my experience of it was pretty weird. I was sitting down against the side of the tent for awhile until I noticed the couple next to me... they were probably in their 60s and the husband was sucking on the wife's toes and staring right at me with an evil smile

Junket
01-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Broken bells > Sleigh bells

DANCE MAGIC
01-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Broken bells > Sleigh bells

david bowie > korn

thanks for just saying some totally non-sequitur comment that has nothing to do with anything though. it was super helpful.

Junket
01-19-2011, 05:28 PM
yes, cause we all know this thread was meant to be helpful.

fuck off you fucking douche

DANCE MAGIC
01-19-2011, 05:30 PM
i just don't understand why you would say something like that. broken bells aren't playing coachella. if you want to just type random bullshit that's totally useless, that's cool i guess

fjwrio 4;4agn; ani;ga;439p'a ';l.;4wAG4aw;g4awn gi;4awa39939393999130 jgfaj;grea ;ooggoo ghoooooooooo agogogogogoggogo FUCK YUOU

Junket
01-19-2011, 05:34 PM
why you would care about a fucking frivolous one liner so much lol

nobody cares about your opinion, just as no one did mine..

its an internet forum..

and you're a douche.

DANCE MAGIC
01-19-2011, 05:36 PM
no but seriously thanks for ruining this whole thread about Sleigh Bells. they are awesome. you are not.

grannock
01-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Maybe its a typo and it should say Cee Lo Green + Broken Bells?

choice cat
01-19-2011, 11:04 PM
no but seriously thanks for ruining this whole thread about Sleigh Bells. they are awesome. you are not.

this thread was not designed to proclaim your love for sleigh bells.

choice cat
01-19-2011, 11:05 PM
saw their set last year and three other times most recently in october. aside from having more songs to play, their live show isnt any better. I was very surprised they are playing back-to-back and are billed so high. I wish it were the XX or Beach House playing in their place.

And if someone had to repeat from last year, yes XX or Beach House would have been 10x more welcome.

OK Calculator
01-20-2011, 12:40 AM
http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41602&highlight=hurt+ears

its funny cause I was saying they sucked since I saw them last year and everyone was like noooo nooo duuude watryoutalkinabout?

DANCE MAGIC
01-20-2011, 12:45 AM
this thread was not designed to proclaim your love for sleigh bells.

well it fucking should have been.

no, you're right. it's a better idea to make threads about shit we hate, because that's productive and will lead to a happy fucking lifestyle.

whaaat a dick

saviourface
01-20-2011, 12:55 AM
I enjoy sleigh bells... must say I don't understand like 75% of the line up... but who cares coachella is the best weekend of the year! I live in California! How can I miss it? I dont care whos playing.

DANCE MAGIC
04-19-2011, 01:13 PM
So, Sleigh Bells were fucking great this year. I liked their set in 2010, but this one was fucking waaaaayyy better.

socalguy100
04-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Sleigh Bells was one of the best sets of the festival. Missed them in 2010 waiting in that clusterfuck of traffic to get in but was right up front this time.

Necie
04-19-2011, 01:28 PM
FUCK YUSSS!!! Sleigh Bells fuckin KILLED it..

They are very high on the list of fave sets for 2011!

PDXdev
04-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Missed them last year but totally got down to their show this time around. Good shit.

I'm very curious to see what ends up happening with them. Are they working on another album? If they are, I hope its not just a replica of the first. I hope they come up with something fresh.

jblwt
04-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Sleigh Bells rocked it and so did Neon Trees.. Lot of hating on the board for both but I haven't heard many people who were there say that these were terrible shows.. first time poster- second time Coachellan! Flame on!

mmsk123
04-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Missed them last year but totally got down to their show this time around. Good shit.

I'm very curious to see what ends up happening with them. Are they working on another album? If they are, I hope its not just a replica of the first. I hope they come up with something fresh.

Tent for Sleigh Bells was packed as hell. They rocked it.

My friend got their album signed in the record store and she asked about a second album and Alexis said that they're "working on it."

gkrablin
04-19-2011, 03:04 PM
This show was amazing. If you missed this show, you should probably kill yourself.

One of my top shows of the 3 days, and I had never heard Sleigh Bells before last week.

Mabdul Doobakus
04-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Great set. One of my Top 5. I do hope the next album shows some kind of musical progression, though. I don't think you can make an entire career off this stuff. It's not immediately obvious to me in what direction they could go next with this sound, which is the only reason I'm expressing any concern. But I know I'll be checking it out for sure.

clumsy342
04-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I enjoyed the shit out of Sleigh Bells. Sure, they aren't the best band out there. But they are just plain fun. LOUD. FUN. One of my favorite sets for sure.

magmazing
04-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Anyone know why their shirts at the merch tent said "Slay Bells" rather than "Sleigh Bells"???

zircona1
04-22-2011, 10:50 AM
They were really good, I was impressed. It was LOUD - I could see the speakers vibrating at times.

irthesteve
04-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Anyone know why their shirts at the merch tent said "Slay Bells" rather than "Sleigh Bells"???

It's just a play on words they use, a double entendre of sorts. She was wearing a "Bells" jersey that said Slay on the back of it as well. It's just a fun thing...

Slay
Fucking
Bells

choice cat
04-22-2011, 05:21 PM
This show was amazing. If you missed this show, you should probably kill yourself.

One of my top shows of the 3 days, and I had never heard Sleigh Bells before last week.

I missed the show, I won't be killing myself.

Timestretch
04-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Awesome show. Right up front. Sidepoint: don't get in the front of a rocking show if you do not want to get pushed around a little bit. It's Slay Fucking Bells, they came out to Iron Man. Die hard fans want to go crazy. Go see Arcade Fire if you want to stand around and watch. I'm only talking about one pussy at the show. Everyone else was on the same page.

DFrank
04-22-2011, 05:40 PM
My group wanted to see them so I got dragged along. And I'm glad I was. Great energy and a lot of fun. I was thinking if they should get a live band accompanying them but those beats aren't meant for live drumming.

choice cat
04-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Go to the big 4 this weekend front and center, see if your so tough there timestretch.

LickTheLizzard
04-22-2011, 05:46 PM
i don't understand. i like sleigh bells, but i walked past when they were playing... and it was the most god awful racket i have ever heard in my life. how did anyone enjoy this set? am i fucking crazy?

irthesteve
04-22-2011, 05:59 PM
i don't understand. i like sleigh bells, but i walked past when they were playing... and it was the most god awful racket i have ever heard in my life. how did anyone enjoy this set? am i fucking crazy?

It was nearly identical to their album besides the singer being a bit off in the beginning of the set. Any fan of the album would have loved the live show

LickTheLizzard
04-22-2011, 07:02 PM
it did not sound like the album, but i am not here to argue. carry on.

Mabdul Doobakus
04-22-2011, 08:51 PM
It was a really fun set, especially if you were, you know, actually in the tent. I mean, nothing sounds good outside the tent...

I saw a bunch of people put this in their Top 5 (me included). Trying to judge a show from just passing by is craziness.

LickTheLizzard
04-22-2011, 08:59 PM
i went into the tent. i left because it was bad. i didn't give them much of a chance though, i only heard about 1/2 a song. like i said i do like sleigh bells' album and i don't blame anyone for enjoying their set, i just wasn't feeling it.

fetuspiniata
04-22-2011, 09:09 PM
i went into the tent. i left because it was bad. i didn't give them much of a chance though, i only heard about 1/2 a song. like i said i do like sleigh bells' album and i don't blame anyone for enjoying their set, i just wasn't feeling it.

This is the EXACT way I felt about Phantograms set... but I only caught about 1 and 1/2 songs.

magmazing
04-22-2011, 09:09 PM
bbI4ETyVWFA

kvnty
04-22-2011, 09:15 PM
It was a really fun set, especially if you were, you know, actually in the tent. I mean, nothing sounds good outside the tent...

I saw a bunch of people put this in their Top 5 (me included). Trying to judge a show from just passing by is craziness.

^ this

DANCE MAGIC
04-29-2011, 08:41 PM
C8dWjzVrNnw

beeerplease
04-29-2011, 09:22 PM

You are not crazy. I couldn't stand more than 5 minutes when they were in the Gobi on Friday morning last year.

kvnty
04-29-2011, 10:12 PM

Top two for me. Heavy duty fun. And they got a great stage presence now.

manda panda
04-29-2011, 10:42 PM
I was sitting at cold war kids' set before interpol and overheard these two guys saying they wanted to see sleigh bells next. Without thinking i yelled up at them that that was a bad idea , going on to tell them i unfortunatley saw them at holiday hootenanny and it was the most horrid thing i've ever heard. I hope they took my advice , but they seemed pretty determined

clumsy342
04-29-2011, 11:07 PM
that's obnoxious

gooftroop
04-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Sleigh Bells were dope, way better than last year. Kind of a love it or hate it thing, it was loud and hot as hell in that tent but I thought the energy was excellent. Sleigh Bells -> Cut Copy was fucking aces.

whatyouknow
04-30-2011, 07:56 PM
i had read the negative opinions on here about sleigh bells, but figured i'd catch them and have a good spot for cut copy. i'm a fan of the album, and i suppose i can see why people were put off by it (too scream-y?), but alexis brought a lot of energy to the tent. it was a really good set, but my expectations may have been low.

waterandcoffee
04-30-2011, 08:54 PM
after their set last year i almost skipped them. so glad i caught the whole thing they brought fire.

magmazing
06-26-2011, 05:09 PM
VAI-c4Ogr5Y

yOtv9X10u4M

KidRobot
12-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Their sound is so different now. But it works brilliantly. I'd be down with a 3-peat.

http://pitchfork.com/news/44912-new-sleigh-bells-born-to-lose/

Pea
12-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Wrong. That new song is the shittiest fucking shit that's ever been shit.

JappyChan
12-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Two years in a row? Don't understand this "band". Don't understand this decision. Don't understand placement on line-up. Why?

THEY ARE ONE OF MY FAVORITE BANDS OF ALL TIME!

Sadly, Coachella doesn't do bands/artist back to back.

Its not a bad thing, I like it like that to be honest so they have more room for new music, that is a main reason why I'm there, after every year of Coachella I alway find about 4 or 5 bands/artist I've never heard before and they come a part of my musical life.

casey
12-20-2011, 11:12 AM
THEY ARE ONE OF MY FAVORITE BANDS OF ALL TIME!

Sadly, Coachella doesn't do bands/artist back to back.

Its not a bad thing, I like it like that to be honest so they have more room for new music, that is a main reason why I'm there, after every year of Coachella I alway find about 4 or 5 bands/artist I've never heard before and they come a part of my musical life.

Coachella 2010 and Coachella 2011 both featured Sleigh Bells.

Gribbz
12-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Sadly, Coachella doesn't do bands/artist back to back..

Yes they do. All the time.

There's no way Sleigh Bells are three-peating though.

JappyChan
12-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Coachella 2010 and Coachella 2011 both featured Sleigh Bells.

o wow that was my mistake, i can't believe i didn't see there set in 2010.

thank you for the info.

kvnty
12-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Keeping my fingers, toes and a couple other appendages crossed for a three-peat in 2012.