PDA

View Full Version : ANIMAL FUCKING COLLECTIVE!!!

Pages : [1] 2

rebel86
01-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Christ! This is amazing.

What do you guys think they'll add to their set? New songs? Will they play anything from MPP? What if they just play all of ODDSAC in its entirety live?

What are your expectations?

Lithium
01-19-2011, 12:03 AM
they will do everything, so excited i can't even

citizenerased
01-19-2011, 12:09 AM
It's gonna be the biggest hipster crowd at the Outdoor Theater ever assembled. Should be fun.

omg wtf bbq
01-19-2011, 12:11 AM
New songs and some old ones now that DEAKIN is back in the band

JamesMills
01-19-2011, 12:15 AM
It's gonna be the biggest hipster crowd at the Outdoor Theater ever assembled. Should be fun.

Animal Collective are a good band, straight up. That's like saying "It's gonna be the biggest hipster crowd at the Outdoor Theater ever assembled" for Radiohead or something. Yeah, everyone likes them because they're good, deal with it.

Albeit Radiohead is much, much better.

TallGuyCM
01-19-2011, 12:17 AM
They'll play new songs, they're writing as we speak. And I wouldn't bet on too much MPP material since Deakin is back with the band and he wasn't on that record. LOTS of crazy Strawberry Jam shit though, I'd imagine...

rebel86
01-19-2011, 12:25 AM
They'll play new songs, they're writing as we speak. And I wouldn't bet on too much MPP material since Deakin is back with the band and he wasn't on that record. LOTS of crazy Strawberry Jam shit though, I'd imagine...

I'd love to hear stuff off of Sung Tongs and Feels

blueblazered
01-19-2011, 12:26 AM
I know he played FYF, but I was hoping for a Panda Bear solo act instead. He's coming out with a new album and all.

rebel86
01-19-2011, 12:27 AM
I know he played FYF, but I was hoping for a Panda Bear solo act instead. He's coming out with a new album and all.

Yeah, that's what I expected too. You never know, he might get added later as a solo act. That would be sweet.

rebel86
01-19-2011, 12:28 AM

That's all of Coachella every year, for that matter

TallGuyCM
01-19-2011, 12:29 AM
I'd love to hear stuff off of Sung Tongs and Feels

Fuck yes. ESPECIALLY Feels.

PJandBompton
01-19-2011, 12:35 AM
i am SO FUCKING EXCITE for AC...missed them at all the shows last tour, so i'm ready as hell for this. one of my must sees of the weekend.

JamesMills
Fuck yes. ESPECIALLY Feels.

YESYESYESYESYES

omg wtf bbq
Crossing my fingers for "SAFER"

TallGuyCM
01-19-2011, 12:36 AM
I've only seen them twice, both times on the MPP tour. So the fact that their set will most likely not be MPP-heavy has me SUPER excited.

clumsy342
01-19-2011, 12:39 AM
with Animal Collective's billing, they would typically be playing the main.

just sayin.

(i can't even imagine how fucking amazing that would be for me though)

rebel86
01-19-2011, 12:39 AM
I've never seen them before live. So this is BIG for me.

JamesMills
01-19-2011, 12:40 AM

Same here.

TallGuyCM
01-19-2011, 12:40 AM
Oh man, if you've never seen them live I have one word for you - FIREWORKS.

CrimesceneCookie
01-19-2011, 12:41 AM

I would have been with this, but Panda's solo sets are wayyyyy too self indulgent.
Hoping for tunes I never heard before, but that's pretty much a given.

JelloPuddingChat
01-19-2011, 12:42 AM
Doesn't happen all the time. The Decemberists were subs in 07 and they didn't even close out the outdoor theater. AC > Bright Eyes > AF would be sweet. Saturday is stacked for me.

PJandBompton
01-19-2011, 12:42 AM

this.

seanyb
01-19-2011, 12:46 AM
oh sweet Deakin's back in the band

psyched for this muchly

unit300021
01-19-2011, 12:56 AM
So this is one band I just don't get what all the fuss is about. Could someone make some sort of recommendation of where to start so I could maybe get into this band.

JamesMills
01-19-2011, 01:01 AM
So this is one band I just don't get what all the fuss is about. Could someone make some sort of recommendation of where to start so I could maybe get into this band.

Just listen to Feels. The albums before it are pretty good, the albums after it are kind of meh for me, but Feels is one of my very favorite albums of the 00's.

ficklecycle
01-19-2011, 01:02 AM
Coachella 2006 will always be my fave set of theirs.

andersunnO)))
01-19-2011, 01:06 AM
I can't wait for animal collective! Hoping they play the main right before Arcade Fire

FEELS
01-19-2011, 01:06 AM
i am so excited for this..
if it's anything like their '06 set, then it will be nothing less than amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luVbN6VnLJU

rebel86
01-19-2011, 07:25 AM
I can't wait for animal collective! Hoping they play the main right before Arcade Fire

YES! That would be sweet.

Mak Attack
01-21-2011, 08:00 AM
I noticed AC was a top 10 act for a lot of folks. While I did enjoy their albums when I saw them live I was extremely let down. Maybe I caught them on an off night. Perhaps I will give them another chance...

orangejulius
01-21-2011, 08:24 AM
The band has a miraculous ability to cheer me up. If you're not sure how to get into them, start with an album that fits your taste most. Feels is a pretty safe start, with most of their earlier releases either being either psych folk or experimental...

You'll start to see a transition to modern AC, often near exclusive use of samples starting with Strawberry Jam, eventually turning into the super-sampling MPP. Of all their work, I've loved their last three releases most. (Fall Be Kind being the new EP, and SJ and MPP... haven't listened to Water Curses)

But then again, I've only been following the band for around 3 years, so there are much more experienced fans that could make better recommendations than me.

The return of Josh Dibb has me very excited as well!

GeezrRckr
01-21-2011, 08:36 AM
and, there it is:
Animal Collective:

04-11 Arcata, CA - Kate Buchanan Room
04-12 Redway, CA - Mateel Community Center
04-13 San Francisco, CA - Great American Music Hall
04-14 Big Sur, CA - Henry Miller Memorial Library
04-16 Indio, CA - Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival

TheDeadBird
01-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Saw AC in Vegas like a year and a half ago....AMAZING. Their whole performance was just like one long song mixed together. They even threw in a Panda Bear song. So excited for this especially since Deakin is back.

menikmati
01-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Given they are the second name that day, they will be on the main stage.

DaftMGMT
01-21-2011, 09:21 AM
this band is great they are known to do house shows in brooklyn sometimes. mind blowing live!

HandBanana
01-21-2011, 09:27 AM
http://i.imgur.com/zVsZj.jpg

Garbarator
01-21-2011, 11:08 AM
i dont know how more people arent losing their shit over these guys being there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3ConWnoe5g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLL_RuWjgP8

seriously.

boyalien0
01-21-2011, 11:18 AM
I demand For Reverend Green. AC, you fucking owe me some For Reverend Green.

clumsy342
01-21-2011, 11:23 AM
please, PLEASE do this version at Coachella.

rzVOpJGW9bg

THIS would make for a Main Stage performance.

DANCE MAGIC
01-21-2011, 11:28 AM
FUCK YES ANIMAL COLLECTIVE.

i missed them for bjork once, and i missed them for portishead once.

never again.

SunDevil
01-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Let's just hope the majority of their set is material they've already released. I remembered enjoying their last Coachella set, but was slightly disappointed as I didn't recognize half the songs...they played Summertime Clothes, Brothersport, and My Girls, all great songs, none of which though were released on record until 8 months later.

In my opinion, Coachella's not the time for bands to go heavy on new, unreleased material. Save it for your own concerts where you can play for 2 hours if you please.

crombrenner
01-21-2011, 02:21 PM
please, PLEASE do this version at Coachella.

rzVOpJGW9bg

THIS would make for a Main Stage performance.

All I can say about this is Wow!! AC into Arcade Fire is going to be ridiculous.

clumsy342
01-21-2011, 02:33 PM
^^^ sundevil - that's exactly what I'm thinking

I demand For Reverend Green. AC, you fucking owe me some For Reverend Green.

indeed.

Vc2Av1dY1p4

but in this case, i wouldn't mind a reworked version like the ones they did with WCWAR, Slippi, Doggy, Winter's Love, and Chocolate Girl.

speaking of which..

66vuX-9gm98
that would be great if they decided to break out Essplode again. But give it its own treatment instead of in the middle of Fireworks. (hate to say it, but i think it's time to retire Fireworks)

which also reminds me.. When they did Chocolate Girl live, they didn't include the ending you hear of the studio version. I absolutely love the last half of that song.

Miroir Noir
01-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Let's just hope the majority of their set is material they've already released. I remembered enjoying their last Coachella set, but was slightly disappointed as I didn't recognize half the songs...they played Summertime Girls, Brothersport, and My Girls, all great songs, none of which though were released on record until 8 months later.

In my opinion, Coachella's not the time for bands to go heavy on new, unreleased material. Save it for your own concerts where you can play for 2 hours if you please.

This makes zero sense. These songs would now be classified as among their most popular songs today. You feel that they were a bit disappointing when they were played in 2008 because they were new, but now that everyone knows about them, they are exactly the songs that should be played in 2011?

bobert
01-21-2011, 02:41 PM

never again.

I always hear people say they missed Animal Collective to see Portishead, and it makes me sad, since I caught at least 20 minutes of AC and got to mainstage just as Portishead was coming on. Got to hear around 3 songs give or take - one of them was Comfy In Nautica.

clumsy342
01-21-2011, 02:56 PM
i'm one of the few who stayed for Animal Collective's entire set.

i had no clue that Portishead had already started. but i still caught the majority of their set. I don't regret staying at AC.

TallGuyCM
01-21-2011, 02:59 PM
This makes zero sense. These songs would now be classified as among their most popular songs today. You feel that they were a bit disappointing when they were played in 2008 because they were new, but now that everyone knows about them, they are exactly the songs that should be played in 2011?

What he said makes perfect sense. He's saying that he really hopes their set isn't mainly comprised of songs from their upcoming album (although it prob will be). He'd rather hear songs he's familiar with at a place like Coachella.

Was that so hard?

SunDevil
01-21-2011, 03:19 PM

It's not so much that they were "new," its that they were unreleased. When I saw them play the MPP material at Coachella '08 that was the absolute first time I had heard those songs (and that was probably the case for the vast majority of the audience at the time). I thought "okay, this stuff seems pretty good," but since it was new to my ears, my mind spent half the time trying to process what is going on with each of the instruments, melodies, harmonies, etc...that I couldn't fully sit-back and just enjoy or appreciate the song like I normally would. This concept applies in general across the board for bands in a live setting, but ESPECIALLY for a band that writes music as complex as AC does.

You're telling me that in a live setting, you get the same level of enjoyment hearing a song thats 100% new to your ears as you do a song you've heard 20+ times on record?

GeezrRckr
01-21-2011, 03:28 PM
your expectations for this band are setting you up for disappointment. they don't operate like other bands....not at all. this is their appeal to many; a source of frustration to others.

just eat some boomers, turn off your processor and enjoy.

SunDevil
01-21-2011, 03:36 PM
I love the band, enjoy watching them live, and will definitely check them out this year. I don't even mind hearing a new song or two. I'd just prefer if it wasn't 1/2 of an already-shortened set. Even if I "turn off the processor," its still not as enjoyable hearing familiar stuff.

I'll probably get some shit for saying this, but I feel like showing up and playing a bunch of stuff your fans have never heard before is a little pretentious.

mistakenstrangers
01-21-2011, 03:37 PM
I mean, I don't think they live upto their hype live, I saw them in Dec 09 and it was a mediocre set, definitely had high expectations. I'm not sure if it was the venue or they were at the end of their tour and just exhausted.

Hopefully Coachella will bring a fresh perspective, after their break.

And if they play this song...

OXfwc0RDHBQ

TallGuyCM
01-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I'll probably get some shit for saying this, but I feel like showing up and playing a bunch of stuff your fans have never heard before is a little pretentious.

With them though it's their way of working out the songs. I understand why they do it, but at the same time I get why it turns people off.

mistakenstrangers
01-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Also what the fuck is the deal with Panda Bears solo stuff, it's so majorly hyped, yet it's not THAT amazing, maybe it's just me...

TallGuyCM
01-21-2011, 03:43 PM
It's not just you. Almost every song I've heard from it is decent, but ultimately forgettable.

BlackSwan
01-21-2011, 03:46 PM

never again.

You made the right decisions.

HandBanana
01-21-2011, 03:54 PM
I would like to see AnCo, but i just dont think what they do translates well to outdoors at a big fest.

Put em in the Mojave (which you cant due to their popularity) and Id be all about it.

SunDevil
01-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Ehh, I both agree and disagree with you. I'm sure they are great guys. I agree, I'd rather hear any AC than none at all. I appreciate that they are playing in spite of family obligations. I also know you aren't trying to be a dick...no worries.

But if they really are making music only for themselves and want to experiment with and/or work-out new stuff in a live setting, they could make admission to their shows free.

To make a loose analogy, if I willingly choose to take on a job in my chosen profession, I don't expect the client to be patient with me if I show up and say "Excuse me for a bit while I work through a new way of crunching these numbers..."

send me ctrpllrs
01-21-2011, 04:02 PM
i'm one of the few who stayed for Animal Collective's entire set.

i had no clue that Portishead had already started. but i still caught the majority of their set. I don't regret staying at AC.

I stayed as well, though I knew Portishead was starting and ran over in time for the end of "Silence." That was my first time seeing Animal Collective, they have since become my 2nd favorite band and I've seen them 6 times now. Knew they often played new stuff live, so I had been listening to sets with all the songs they played. I remember being one of the only people singing along haha. I love that about them though and am hoping for a set of mostly new songs, with a few reworked songs pre-MPP. I think the only song from MPP I haven't seen is "Bluish" because they didn't play it and maybe "Taste". And most of those are many times now, also please no "Fireworks" as amazing as it is live.

GeezrRckr
01-21-2011, 04:13 PM
But if they really are making music only for themselves and want to experiment with and/or work-out new stuff in a live setting, they could make admission to their shows free.
that's why they always do warm up shows in small venues for pretty cheap (and always all ages). it's essentially what you're suggesting and geared to satisfy their most ardent fans. and, who knows...maybe their Coachella set will be exactly what you (and countless others) are asking for. just keep in mind, though, that they are currently writing new music and it's been a while since Josh has played with them. so, between writing the new stuff, working them out for the live setting and then getting EVERYTHING ready for the biggest show of their careers, is going to be daunting and working in old stuff that now includes Josh may be a tough thing to ask for/expect. just saying.

To make a loose analogy, if I willingly choose to take on a job in my chosen profession, I don't expect the client to be patient with me if I show up and say "Excuse me for a bit while I work through a new way of crunching these numbers..."
nah, i'm not gonna buy this one. art/music is different than H&R Block.

Bons222000
01-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Bigger than Thom Yorke last year?

mittens4kittens
01-21-2011, 05:05 PM
"My Girls" ftw. Been singin it all day

xanman86
01-21-2011, 05:17 PM
It amazes me that back during Sung Tong days I was trying to convince my friends how awesome they were but no one was really digging it. Now they are SECOND BILLED! That is so awesome!

I haven't seen them since 06 so I am really excited for this.

I remember that when they played "We Tigers" I lost my shit and ended up on the opposite side of the crowd that my group was in by the end of the song. Turned out to be perfect though because it gave me a much better view of Panda Bear for "The Purple Bottle". So epic.

Fig Neutron
01-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Might watch these guys if nothing else I like is going on. I love them on record, but I came over for the second half of their set in '08 after half of M.I.A. and thought live they were boring as shit.

xanman86
01-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Might watch these guys if nothing else I like is going on. I love them on record, but I came over for the second half of their set in '08 after half of M.I.A. and thought live they were boring as shit.

Smoke a lot more weed this time

rebel86
01-21-2011, 06:36 PM
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1782406/in-the-flowers-dancing-o.gif

http://www.gifsoup.com/view3/1782536/in-the-flowers-face-o.gif

rebel86
01-21-2011, 06:40 PM
I love the band, enjoy watching them live, and will definitely check them out this year. I don't even mind hearing a new song or two. I'd just prefer if it wasn't 1/2 of an already-shortened set. Even if I "turn off the processor," its still not as enjoyable hearing familiar stuff.

That's the whole point of touring and promoting. If you want to hear a bunch of song you've already heard before, stay home and listen to their records.

juloxx
01-21-2011, 08:01 PM
lol white people

BayAreaIsBetter
01-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Ohhh my fucking god. It's not going to be FEVER FUCKING RAY but it's probably the next best thing we could have gotten. What a surprise. thank god, I mean goldenvoice

Garbarator
01-21-2011, 08:54 PM
godenvoice

Mr.Trent
01-21-2011, 09:02 PM
I recognize that I'm one of those noobs that just jumped into the Merriweather Post Pavilion bandwagon but what other albums should I get? I already have Strawberry Jam and Fall be Kind thought it's much more rough.

I've been reading that everything else they've done is much rawer and I understand that, I just hope that I can get into the rest of their catalog, any suggestions?

clumsy342
01-21-2011, 09:44 PM
get Water Curses. and People.

and Sung Tongs.

DANCE MAGIC
01-21-2011, 09:47 PM
I recognize that I'm one of those noobs that just jumped into the Merriweather Post Pavilion bandwagon but what other albums should I get? I already have Strawberry Jam and Fall be Kind thought it's much more rough.

I've been reading that everything else they've done is much rawer and I understand that, I just hope that I can get into the rest of their catalog, any suggestions?

every track on Sung Tongs is amazing.

stewboss
01-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Look, an Animal Fucking Collective sounds mildly repulsive and generally illegal ... I'm hoping that just Animal Collective shows up. More comfortable for everyone, really.

So I have to admit that I haven't ever been able to wrap my head around AC - but a few days ago I was listening to KEXP in the car here in Seattle and I heard this great song ... turned out it was "Why Would I Want? Sky" I was a bit floored when the playlist indicated it was AC ... can someone push me down a path (album, ep, etc.) that best reflects the qualities of that song?

Mucho Maas
01-21-2011, 10:30 PM
can someone push me down a path (album, ep, etc.) that best reflects the qualities of that song?

when that song was released, i remember thinking "this sounds like nothing they've done before" and, to some extent, that's true.

i would check out the album Feels, and look out for the track "Banshee Beat."

citizenerased
01-21-2011, 10:42 PM
They're gonna play What Would i Want? Sky at Coachella right? Incredible song.

Mucho Maas
01-21-2011, 10:52 PM
i wouldn't expect more than a couple older tracks, and possibly an AC rendition of a track or two from either Down There or Tomboy

CrimesceneCookie
01-21-2011, 11:23 PM
"Why Would I Want? Sky" I was a bit floored when the playlist indicated it was AC ... can someone push me down a path (album, ep, etc.) that best reflects the qualities of that song?

I would suggest the track "Safer".

DANCE MAGIC
01-21-2011, 11:24 PM
i wouldn't expect more than a couple older tracks, and possibly an AC rendition of a track or two from either Down There or Tomboy

I am really hoping that you are way off base here.

DANCE MAGIC
01-21-2011, 11:26 PM
turned out it was "Why Would I Want? Sky" I was a bit floored when the playlist indicated it was AC ... can someone push me down a path (album, ep, etc.) that best reflects the qualities of that song?

Honestly, I'd rather not. If you're stuck on that sort of sound, just get the EP that includes it, which is called Fall Be Kind. Also, the album Merriweather Post Pavillion is in the ballpark.

That having been said, I would much more strongly encourage you to check out some of their earlier work, and specifically the album Sung Tongs.

Llama of Time
01-21-2011, 11:28 PM
I read this thread earlier today, and decided it was a good time to finally listen to Feels. And that album was really good (not amazing, but good)

And afterward I listened to Strawberry Jam, Merriweather Post Pavillion, and the Fall Be Kind EP again. All really good stuff. Need to listen to the rest

I think MPP is still my favorite though. It was the first one I listened to and first one that got me into them.

SunDevil
01-22-2011, 12:00 AM
They're gonna play What Would i Want? Sky at Coachella right? Incredible song.

Don't count on it. I think its maybe their best song....but as previously discussed, they don't necessarily play their best songs.

nationocean
01-22-2011, 09:08 AM
ylrmS6ayKv8

THIS.

uyJjihseiio

THIS.

V5xqjqm-aGw

AND ESPECIALLY THIS.

TallGuyCM
01-22-2011, 12:52 PM
ylrmS6ayKv8

Whoa I didn't know there was a video for Leaf House. Tight!

DeepFriedSushi
01-22-2011, 01:18 PM
One of my most anticipated of the weekend.
This is going to be all kinds of great. Hope they fare well on the big stage.

andersunnO)))
01-22-2011, 02:19 PM
A9E_nwjY_x0

woops

BayAreaIsBetter
01-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Animal collective will play the ot. Bright eyes will open for mumford for af.

There will be no be, ac, af conflict.

Please

vinyljunkie
01-22-2011, 04:01 PM
am i the only one who hopes they play their old shit? i wanna hear songs off FEELS and sung tongs... last time i saw them in concert, it was mostly MPP, but knowing AC, the set will probably be a bunch of new stuff no one's heard. regardless, i'm fucking stoked!!!

GeezrRckr
01-22-2011, 04:31 PM
when they played Leaf House at the Fox show last year (my request), i barely fucking recognized it. i love that they do that.

(that vid is awesome, btw...thx)

TallGuyCM
01-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Yeah they've played it both times I've seen them and I couldn't tell what it was until the vocals kicked in.

DANCE MAGIC
01-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Animal collective will play the ot. Bright eyes will open for mumford for af.

I want this to be true, but I fear you are mistaken.

awolfatthedoor
01-22-2011, 10:17 PM
animal collective licks balls

marleybooger
01-22-2011, 11:48 PM
they played an insanely long version of brothersport at lolla in 09'
like 16 min. version. sooo rad

beyond stoked to see them. still cant believe fucking mumford and sons is that high up on the lineup..sooo weak coachella

Jumping Start.
01-23-2011, 04:28 PM

never again.

Definetly good acts to miss them for, just don't let it happen again. ...so worth it! :pulse

mikecc
01-23-2011, 09:59 PM

Dude, you know its super hipster to talk shit about how hipster its gonna be right???? U r oozing of hipster BRA

WhyTheLongFace
02-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Maybe a silly question but can I expect to hear anything off "Feels"? I've never seen them before and this is my favorite album from them.

dorkfish
02-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Well, until they start touring again, we'll have no clue what they'll pull for a setlist, but if the past tours and the last tour with Deakin was an indicator, you might hear "Banshee Beat".

FEELS
02-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Well, until they start touring again, we'll have no clue what they'll pull for a setlist, but if the past tours and the last tour with Deakin was an indicator, you might hear "Banshee Beat".

ah, i would fuckin' go crazy, definately my favorite song by them
and this video really makes me wish i saw 'em in '06

luVbN6VnLJU

dyltr0n3030
04-08-2011, 02:24 PM
All i need to hear is Graze, In the Flowers, Summertime Clothes, We Tigers, Peacebone, and Fireworks. I will fucking cry. I was listening to "In the flowers" today and I get the goosebumps every time into the beautiful synthy part. jesus.

FUCK YES ANIMAL COLLECTIVE OH MY FUCKING GOD

You will see me rockin' the t-shirt.

citizenerased
04-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Should be their biggest show ever right? New main stage + the crazy visuals they have planned... It's gonna be a spectacle.

rag and bone
04-08-2011, 02:30 PM
they played an insanely long version of brothersport at lolla in 09'

information like this is EXACTLY why i'm hesitant on committing to their set.

gooftroop
04-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Fireworks is so fucking good live, really hope it's part of their set. Some of their songs I don't feel the live versions as much (ie My Girls) but Fireworks really comes alive.

Are we seriously getting Animal Collective working with the creators project (some awesome work from what I've seen so far, kudos) on the Mainstage?! HOLY SHIT!!

Thank you for resurrecting this thread. This has potential to be the best AC show I've ever seen, seen em 5 times so far and definitely gonna make it 6. Thank you COACHELLA!!

RodFed1993
04-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Bight Eyes, Mumford and Sons, Arcade Fire, and Animal Collective?!? As much as I hate the idea of it, I might just find myself campin' at the main stage for the majority of Saturday.

send me ctrpllrs
04-08-2011, 02:39 PM
I hope they don't play any songs from MMP or FBK. Give me new songs and a few older ones reworked.

Definitely excited for whatever visual aspect there is to it.

gooftroop
04-08-2011, 02:56 PM
information like this is EXACTLY why i'm hesitant on committing to their set.

It's not for everyone, but Brothersport is a fucking awesome song IMO

Generally they just keep churning through them, the songs flow into one another, but usually they'll go through an extended jam with one of their longer tracks at some point. They know what they are doing :D

rag and bone
04-08-2011, 03:03 PM
It's not for everyone, but Brothersport is a fucking awesome song IMO

I agree! I just don't feel like i need to hear 16 min of it.

Sublime
04-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Never paid them any mind, I am now a huge fan.

ScottWalker
04-08-2011, 03:36 PM
I spoke with a concert industry insider a while back, and they told me that Animal Collective will be playing ENTIRELY new material on their current outings.

I'm going in with an open mind to whatever they decide to do...

Donaldj
04-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Not saying it won't happen but headlining a major festival and playing 100% all new material is an idiotic move that will surely piss off legions of fans.

guedita
04-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Their fans who know that it is standard fare for AC to try out new stuff on their tours will be unsurprised. The MPP bros and hipsterinas that are just there to hear My Girls will be pissed.

WALRUS
04-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Christ! This is amazing.

What do you guys think they'll add to their set? New songs? Will they play anything from MPP? What if they just play all of ODDSAC in its entirety live?

What are your expectations?

GREAT, GREAT EXPECTATIONS

Donaldj
04-08-2011, 04:09 PM
I think it's fine for them to do that on one of their own scheduled shows but festivals are different. Maybe that's just me, I don't know.

psycobetabuckdown
04-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Their fans who know that it is standard fare for AC to try out new stuff on their tours will be unsurprised. The MPP bros and hipsterinas that are just there to hear My Girls will be pissed.

So they won't be playing My Girls?

thestripe
04-08-2011, 05:41 PM
They usually play new songs. And they played the shitty out of MPP songs last time around. So the answer is probably no.

psycobetabuckdown
04-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Wow I'm seeing them three times next week so I hope they at least switch up the setlist a little.

andyforpeace
04-08-2011, 09:47 PM
SWEET SUMMER NIGHT AND IM STRIPPED TO MY SHEETS. FOREHEAD IS LEAKING AND MY AC SQUEAKS

Foppie
04-08-2011, 11:36 PM
There is no way they are playing the main stage. Sorry.

citizenerased
04-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Sorry it's happening. Creator's Project + confirmation says so.

Foppie
04-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Wow just found that!

"Top-billed acts including Arcade Fire, Interpol and Animal Collective, however, have incorporated their own lighting designs into UVA's modular stage. Interpol's Friday set will be the first to use a band's master-concept in the rig, and Animal Collective enlisted its experimental-noise peers Black Dice to direct a found-footage montage using UVA's modules to play with the idea of a stadium's Jumbotron."

Can't wait!

hollyb20
04-09-2011, 01:51 AM
FEELS!

dyltr0n3030
04-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Wow I'm seeing them three times next week so I hope they at least switch up the setlist a little.

WOW please fuck off. They are my all-time favorite band. I would not mind sitting through the same set 3 nights in a row at all.

Phantasma Del Mar
04-09-2011, 03:22 PM
That's because you like wieners.

andersunnO)))
04-09-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm going to lose my fucking mind saturday night

Timestretch
04-09-2011, 03:43 PM
AC on the Main Stage (UVA):

"Top-billed acts including Arcade Fire, Interpol and Animal Collective, however, have incorporated their own lighting designs into UVA's modular stage. Interpol's Friday set will be the first to use a band's master-concept in the rig, and Animal Collective enlisted its experimental-noise peers Black Dice to direct a found-footage montage using UVA's modules to play with the idea of a stadium's Jumbotron. Arcade Fire's Saturday night headlining set will climax in a UVA collaboration with director Chris Milk, who oversaw the band's ambitious and unexpectedly moving childhood-nostalgia Web video, "The Wilderness Downtown." LA Times

The implications are no AF and AC conflict, but potential conflict between AC and Empire and Mumford and AF (which doesn't bother me). Just speculation, but plausible.

brochelluh
04-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Can't. Fucking. Wait.

psycobetabuckdown
04-10-2011, 01:01 AM
WOW please fuck off. They are my all-time favorite band. I would not mind sitting through the same set 3 nights in a row at all.

What is this I don't even...

boarderwoozel3
04-10-2011, 01:09 AM
I'm very interested to see what AC do to fill/command that kind of space. It just doesn't seem to be their "thing." That said, the odds of me being anywhere near this set are slim at best. So be a pal and take lots of great HD vids, thanks in advance.

psycobetabuckdown
04-10-2011, 01:15 AM
I've never seen AC but I could imagine something like #1 working on a huge stage with a huge crowd. So is this a first for them, playing a late spot in front of 50,000 people? Have they had this billing in Europe?

ponyup
04-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Crossing my fingers for "SAFER"

me too, man.

Penultimate
04-10-2011, 09:38 AM
They usually play new songs. And they played the shitty out of MPP songs last time around. So the answer is probably no.

I don't care if every song they play is new shit that I haven't heard. I love MPP and I want to hear it, but it'll be awesome either way.

boarderwoozel3
04-10-2011, 09:42 AM
I've never seen AC but I could imagine something like #1 working on a huge stage with a huge crowd. So is this a first for them, playing a late spot in front of 50,000 people? Have they had this billing in Europe?

Pretty sure they're not a very big deal in Europe. Or not that I've seen.

Gribbz
04-10-2011, 10:47 AM
I've only seen them in a smallish venue. It was alright.

I think they'll be fine on the Main Stage simply because Black Dice/Creators project are doing their visuals.

dyltr0n3030
04-10-2011, 04:35 PM
I WANT GRASS

cfritz75
04-10-2011, 05:59 PM

This!!!!

citizenerased
04-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Well you guys will be happy cause they are.

Penultimate
04-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Well you guys will be happy cause they are.

this makes my heart soar.

dyltr0n3030
04-10-2011, 11:37 PM
according to their facebook page their playing at 8:00PM.

ScottWalker
04-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Last night in Petaluma, CA, they played 4 old AC songs and 8 new ones. (Plus a Deakin solo track)

1.[untitled] Play Video
(Deakin solo track)
2.Did You See the Words Play Video
3.New Song 1 Play Video
4.New Song 2 Play Video
5.New Song 3 Play Video
6.Brothersport Play Video
7.New Song 4 Play Video
8.New Song 5 Play Video
9.New Song 6 Play Video
10.We Tigers Play Video
Encore:
11.Summertime Clothes Play Video
12.New Song 7 Play Video
13.New Song 8 Play Video

Mucho Maas
04-11-2011, 08:46 AM
songs from the petaluma show sound pretty interesting....
here's a new panda track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwiwzVmxzc4

citizenerased
04-11-2011, 08:51 AM
MS72REP1-Wo

pachucasunrise
04-11-2011, 09:02 AM
according to their facebook page their playing at 8:00PM.

That's listed for every show they have coming up. It'll probably be somewhere around 9-9:30, though.

bmack86
04-11-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm very interested to see what AC do to fill/command that kind of space. It just doesn't seem to be their "thing." That said, the odds of me being anywhere near this set are slim at best. So be a pal and take lots of great HD vids, thanks in advance.

It's nowhere near the same scale, but when they headlined Pitchfork in 2008, they had a really great light show and they just played beyond that. It worked because they sounded so great and played so well. I think that'll be the big thing: how will these new songs go over. I'm so excited to hear them.

dyltr0n3030
04-11-2011, 09:31 AM
I was listening to banshee beat this morning, I thought about hearing it live and it made me want to fucking cry/ scream out of Joy and excitement.

gooftroop
04-11-2011, 12:16 PM
It's nowhere near the same scale, but when they headlined Pitchfork in 2008, they had a really great light show and they just played beyond that. It worked because they sounded so great and played so well. I think that'll be the big thing: how will these new songs go over. I'm so excited to hear them.

I was at that Pitchfork show, it was awesome probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite show I have seen of theirs. The rendition of Fireworks they played was incredible I remember.

Also I would love to hear Do You See The Words, huge fan of that song.

Natelevmofuggaz
04-11-2011, 12:31 PM
MS72REP1-Wo

Eeesh.. he's sounding pretty flat, needs some singing lessons. Other than that it's a good performance. This will be my third time seeing these guys at Coachella! It's amazing how they've moved up the lines throughout the years.

rAnimatorX2
04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Ok who else had to take a double take upon reading this thread name?

Timestretch
04-11-2011, 12:44 PM
I just came on here to re-post the title b/c I'm so excited for this set: ANIMAL FUCKING COLLECTIVE!

dorkfish
04-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Last night in Petaluma, CA, they played 4 old AC songs and 8 new ones. (Plus a Deakin solo track)

1.[untitled] Play Video
(Deakin solo track)
2.Did You See the Words Play Video
3.New Song 1 Play Video
4.New Song 2 Play Video
5.New Song 3 Play Video
6.Brothersport Play Video
7.New Song 4 Play Video
8.New Song 5 Play Video
9.New Song 6 Play Video
10.We Tigers Play Video
Encore:
11.Summertime Clothes Play Video
12.New Song 7 Play Video
13.New Song 8 Play Video

Summertime Clothes wasn't part of the encore.

DeepFriedSushi
04-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Animal Collective is seriously the worst fucking band at this festival, and that's saying something since the band right after them is Mumford and Sons.

shaggyduck
04-11-2011, 07:23 PM
ANIMAL FUCKING COLLECTIVE!

nationocean
04-11-2011, 07:47 PM
give me hope for hearing We Tigers!!

alisonnn
04-11-2011, 09:55 PM
I just finished my mask for anco on the fields.. covered in glue and red glitter watch outt

dyltr0n3030
04-11-2011, 10:59 PM
I lied. If they play "loch raven", I will honestly just lay down, wipe the tears of bliss from my eyes, and take Another drop of acid.

DeepFriedSushi
04-12-2011, 06:50 AM
I just finished my mask for anco on the fields.. covered in glue and red glitter watch outt

Shame is a powerful thing.

alisonnn
04-12-2011, 12:20 PM
and fandom is even more so..

brochelluh
04-12-2011, 12:34 PM
I lied. If they play "loch raven", I will honestly just lay down, wipe the tears of bliss from my eyes, and take Another drop of acid.

Save some of that acidic substance...

dyltr0n3030
04-12-2011, 12:37 PM
I may be wrong but didn't AC have another show last night? If so would anyone be kind enough to post the setlist?

PotVsKtl
04-12-2011, 01:26 PM
I may be wrong but didn't AC have another show last night? If so would anyone be kind enough to post the setlist?

New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song

mvanwinkle
04-12-2011, 02:29 PM
I went to the show last night. They played at my college campus so I bought a ticket. I am not the biggest fan but they played down the street so I could not pass it up. I knew at least 6 of the songs and played for about 1.5 hrs. I was glad I went to the show, they were great. but I would not worry about them only playing new songs especially as a subheadliner. ps there was no more then 1000 people at that show last night. But I guess that's what happen when you live in the lost coast.

GoodGirlGalaxy
04-12-2011, 02:33 PM

New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song

That's way I like it. The Petaluma show was just perfect because I devoured the previous AC albums and I was glad there was new music to adjust my ears to.

dorkfish
04-12-2011, 02:36 PM
By the way, if the crowd at the Petaluma show is to be any indication, you're pretty much dead on. I saw a large group of kids go from "They fucking suck" 6 songs into the set to moshing during Brother Sport.

guedita
04-12-2011, 02:37 PM
By the way, if the crowd at the Petaluma show is to be any indication, you're pretty much dead on. I saw a large group of kids go from "They fucking suck" 6 songs into the set to moshing during Brother Sport.

Feathered headband riot on the Polo Fields.

GeezrRckr
04-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Yeah, the little pussy mosh pit that the hippytards were trying to get going during Brother Sport was just an embarrasment. Those little punks should go to a Primus show and get some education.

But, yes...the crowd at Petaluma was not a good omen.

dyltr0n3030
04-12-2011, 02:39 PM
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song
New Song

I went to the show last night. They played at my college campus so I bought a ticket. I am not the biggest fan but they played down the street so I could not pass it up. I knew at least 6 of the songs and played for about 1.5 hrs. I was glad I went to the show, they were great. but I would not worry about them only playing new songs especially as a subheadliner. ps there was no more then 1000 people at that show last night. But I guess that's what happen when you live in the lost coast.

I'm REALLY excited to hear the new music they have for us. There was this one song from the Petaluma show that sounded amazing, and they re-did some oldies. But I never really considered that their sub-headlining a festival.. So I do hope they play some classics. I'm hoping for like a 50/50 split between new and old music.

For MPP: In The Flowers
For SJ: Fireworks / Winter Wonderland
For Feels: Banshee Beat
For ST: We Tigers

Then let the rest be new music - I will be a happy camper.

dorkfish
04-12-2011, 02:40 PM
And TO BE FAIR, the majority of the Petaluma crowd was decently polite. I'm just expecting Coachella to turn the douchefans up to 11.

GoodGirlGalaxy

And I saw a tall Drake-ish man go from "Fuck yeah" to "I gotta get the fuck outta here!" We were all glad he "rolled" on out.

Miroir Noir
Feathered headband riot on the Polo Fields.

This scenario already went down last year with MGMT and "Kids."

GeezrRckr
04-12-2011, 02:41 PM
I still don't think he was rolling. I think he was just a large mutant that screamed of the need justifiation for sterilization.

guedita
04-12-2011, 02:41 PM
This scenario already went down last year with MGMT and "Kids."

Sequels are always better...in that they are worse.

dorkfish
04-12-2011, 02:42 PM
And I saw a tall Drake-ish man go from "Fuck yeah" to "I gotta get the fuck outta here!" We were all glad he "rolled" on out.
I saw that guy rear-headbutt Jared (or nearly) several times during some bizarre hopping headbanging fistpump dance.

One kid was doing interpretive dancing and notified us that he was a panda bear. His hands were panda paws for most of the show.

edit: I suspect that he probably accosted Drew and Sebastian as well based on his dancing at their proximity to Jared.

dorkfish
04-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Sequels are always better...in that they are worse.
MGMT 2: We <3 AnCo

TheWhat
04-12-2011, 02:45 PM
whats the chance of them playing For Reverend Green?

dorkfish
04-12-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm hoping 100%, but know it's probably 0%.

GoodGirlGalaxy
04-12-2011, 02:46 PM
I saw that guy rear-headbutt Jared (or nearly) several times during some bizarre hopping headbanging fistpump dance.

Yeah Jared had head pains. So did Drew and I when Drake-ish guy clapped at a faster pace than the song for 5 or so minutes ever 10 minutes like it was a nervous tick.

dorkfish
04-12-2011, 02:47 PM
X6WUJhrSHjc

GeezrRckr
04-12-2011, 02:48 PM
And was the only one doing it? Admit it...if he wasn't 6'9" and crazy as all get-out, one of us would have told him to stfu. I know I would have, but it was a case of size matters.

dorkfish
04-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Yeah Jared had head pains. So did Drew and I when Drake-ish guy clapped at a faster pace than the song for 5 or so minutes ever 10 minutes like it was a nervous tick.
Yeah, also Drake tried to start the "let's all clap to the beat above our heads" thing a few times. After the first time failed, he morphed it into the off beat speed clapping.

GoodGirlGalaxy
04-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah, also Drake tried to start the "let's all clap to the beat above our heads" thing a few times. After the first time failed, he morphed it into the off beat speed clapping.

And during song intermissions, he spread his arms out, Jesus-length, closed his eyes and let the weirdo samples consume him.

But as far as crowds go, they were alright with me. I believe there were a total of 7 people not in high school in the crowd, but the kids were kind.

GeezrRckr
04-12-2011, 03:00 PM
I maintain my comment about the pussy mosh pit. Either do it right or gtfo.

Miroir Noir
04-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Based on these crowd descriptions, I am finally able to put aside my intial cognitive dissonance when it came to all of the Coachella announcement-time internet comments along the lines of "fuck yeah, Mumford and Sons and AnCo!"

dyltr0n3030
04-12-2011, 03:07 PM
And during song intermissions, he spread his arms out, Jesus-length, closed his eyes and let the weirdo samples consume him.

But as far as crowds go, they were alright with me. I believe there were a total of 7 people not in high school in the crowd, but the kids were kind.

Who are we talking about now?

dorkfish
04-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Drake

dyltr0n3030
04-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Drake

Oh! Drake! Yes, I have quite a bit of stories to tell about Drake..

dyltr0n3030
04-13-2011, 04:43 PM
this needs to stay bumped. words cannot describe how excited i am for this set.. you can actually see them.

nathanfairchild
04-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Is it suppossed to sound like shitty tribal music?

Harrisment
04-17-2011, 12:30 AM
That was one of the smaller mainstage crowds I've seen for someone that played that late.

miraj
04-17-2011, 01:30 AM
Meh.

wstsidela
04-17-2011, 01:41 AM
I missed the show but everyone who saw it said it sucked. My 13 niece said it was the worst performance of the weekend. Kids don't lie.

Jman4321
04-17-2011, 01:45 AM
I actually really liked this and enjoyed the new material. The sound was pretty muddy from where I was standing, which was in all a really good spot, so that was somewhat of an issue. However the songs themselves coupled with the portal-to-Tron stage set up won me over.

IlliniQ
04-17-2011, 02:20 AM
Crowd wasn't small to start, AC had them fleeing in droves within first five minutes of their set, biggest mass exodus since MBVs Holocaust in '09.

Back half of their set had some excellent moments, but opening 20 minutes was dreadful. Be interested to see how pitchfork handles their love child being deigned by many as the biggest flop of the fest . Which I think is exactly what will happen.

Miroir Noir
04-17-2011, 02:24 AM
They were live tweeting it:

AnCo doing their thing - a half hour in and "Did You See The Words" is the "hit song" they've played. #coachella

pitchforkmedia Damn, this crowd was READY for "Brother Sport." #coachella #animalcollective

On a personal level, the sonic holocaust was one of the greatest moments of my life. This, not so much.

motionnn77
04-17-2011, 10:00 AM
^ ^ ^

Sonic Holocaust was unforgettable

However, I caught later 15 of AC....just wasn't feeling it at all.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-17-2011, 10:11 AM
I liked the part with weird noises

TheImportance
04-17-2011, 11:05 AM
My friend said they were good just really fucking loud. What did they play?

toilet
04-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Between Animal Collective, Felice Brothers, Empire of the Sun and the Oasis dome I felt there was no safe haven from aural assault.

The AC exodus resulted in the largest crowd I've ever seen at the Outdoor Stage.

wmgaretjax
04-17-2011, 11:44 AM
these dudes have major guts. they knew going in that the response wasn't going to be all smiles and hugs for a set that was largely experimental and was represented less than 20% by tracks that the crowd wanted to hear...

cansei de ser sexme
04-17-2011, 11:49 AM
What was the setlist at coachella?

Jman4321
04-17-2011, 12:00 PM
these dudes have major guts. they knew going in that the response wasn't going to be all smiles and hugs for a set that was largely experimental and was represented less than 20% by tracks that the crowd wanted to hear...

That's basically exactly what I told my friend before they came on. In many ways it was this aspect of the unknown that I found enticing. My friend doesn't really know much of their material and voiced his concern about not knowing many songs, to which I half-jokingly responded that neither would I. I thought the idea of this unveiling would be really cool, andxwhile it was for me I guess a lot didn't feel the same. Too bad.

Miroir Noir
04-17-2011, 01:16 PM

I can't fault Animal Collective. I think they hit the mainstream by accident in 07 - 09, and god bless them for taking their own strange paths in spite of whatever popularity they found during those years. From what I understand, their standard operating procedure has always been to work out their new material live before recording, right? That set was not my cup of tea at all -- at times "interminable" was the term that came to mind -- but they were remaining authentic to their own sense of what they are about where many, many other bands would have caved to the pressure of the situation and played what was "expected" from them.

wmgaretjax
04-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah. MPP was the only time they "toured" an album after releasing it (edit: just to be clear, they also toured it before releasing it). It's pretty standard at an AC show to walk away a bit perplexed. No denying that, whether you like them or not, they are refreshingly authentic. It has been really fantastic to watch them hash out some of my favorite albums on tour, all the time the crowd pretty evenly split (not so much post-MPP) between folks frustrated and enamored by the newness of what they play.

stinkbutt
04-17-2011, 01:49 PM

I can't fault Animal Collective. I think they hit the mainstream by accident in 07 - 09, and god bless them for taking their own strange paths in spite of whatever popularity they found during those years. From what I understand, their standard operating procedure has always been to work out their new material live before recording, right? That set was not my cup of tea at all -- at times "interminable" was the term that came to mind -- but they were remaining authentic to their own sense of what they are about where many, many other bands would have caved to the pressure of the situation and played what was "expected" from them.

Yeah. MPP was the only time they "toured" an album after releasing it (edit: just to be clear, they also toured it before releasing it). It's pretty standard at an AC show to walk away a bit perplexed. No denying that, whether you like them or not, they are refreshingly authentic. It has been really fantastic to watch them hash out some of my favorite albums on tour, all the time the crowd pretty evenly split (not so much post-MPP) between folks frustrated and enamored by the newness of what they play.

http://daveybee.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/wayfarers.jpg

darkmoon66
04-17-2011, 02:19 PM
I was really disappointed by their set to be honest. I am not really into their older stuff, mainly just Strawberry Jam and MMP. I was expecting them to play a few of their popular songs since it was a 70 minute set at Coachella, but I only recognized 2 songs the entire time. I think if I had known what I was getting into I could have enjoyed it more.

nikali
04-18-2011, 08:56 AM
loved the set so much. for the fans, new awesome tracks with tonnes of jamming. so good. little bitch kids infront of me standing there confused waiting for my girls while i was grooving away. justice

guedita
04-18-2011, 09:54 AM
I was really disappointed by their set to be honest. I am not really into their older stuff, mainly just Strawberry Jam and MMP. I was expecting them to play a few of their popular songs since it was a 70 minute set at Coachella, but I only recognized 2 songs the entire time. I think if I had known what I was getting into I could have enjoyed it more.

They were great. Their new tracks are great and from what Sebastian told me they had really tightened/perfected them by the time they got to Coachella. We Tigers into Summertime Clothes was a nice surprise.

GolfWang
04-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Probably my favorite set of the weekend behind Arcade Fire. Sound and visuals were amazing. Never been a huge fan and I normally like the catchier, more popular songs, but I knew that we'd likely only get a few. Some of the new songs sounded pretty spectacular. Most people seemed to hate it though...

andersunnO)))
04-18-2011, 01:30 PM
TIGERS TIGERS TIGERS TIGERS

one of my favorite sets of the weekend for sure

bmack86
04-18-2011, 01:31 PM
This set was so wonderful. I loved the direction they've gone with the new material and I cant wait to hear where they take it in the studio. I had seen them three times prior to the release of MPP and then three after, and it was getting a bit exhausting hearing the same songs, even if they were great. I loved Did You See the Words. Also, the visuals were really wild.

ruskinator
04-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Any and all who where disappointed needed only to look at the setlists of the West Coast tour they've been on in the weeks leading up to their Coachella performance to know what they were in for.

JamesMills
04-18-2011, 01:37 PM
I thought this set was miserable, and Animal Collective has been one of my favorite bands for almost a decade.

I am actually so upset about this apathetic performance that I don't know how much I care to embrace them anymore... that's just my opinion, I don't mean to offend anyone.

Still-ill
04-18-2011, 01:41 PM
I couldn't help but smile that this was happening on the main stage as a sub-headliner. I loved the performance.

moomoo
04-18-2011, 01:43 PM
I thought this set was miserable, and Animal Collective has been one of my favorite bands for almost a decade.

I am actually so upset about this apathetic performance that I don't know how much I care to embrace them anymore... that's just my opinion, I don't mean to offend anyone.

I agree. Even the songs I really like by them were absolutely butchered for me. I don't see the appeal of panda bear wailing like a dying animal over psychedelic casino noises. Different strokes, I personally will never get it.

Still-ill
04-18-2011, 01:44 PM

I don't understand how you could be a fan for a decade and hate that performance, I understand if you've only started enjoying them after Strawberry Jam or MPP, but this this was hearkening back to more of what they were doing a "decade" ago.

Jman4321
04-18-2011, 01:47 PM
I like Animal Collective.

indietron
04-18-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm not a huge animal collective fan, and I thought the set was pretty mediocre for the most part. However, what was the song before brother sport? Cause those two in a row were incredible. Everything else was just meh for me

JelloPuddingChat
04-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Anyone who was disappointed obviously did not know what they were in for. We were lucky we heard 4 old songs. I FUCKING LOVED THEIR SET. You can totally dislike their music and that's completely fair. They did what they do best at an extremely high level. The new stuff sounds so much darker than anything else I've heard of theirs.

We Tigers on the main stage is one of the biggest wins ever.

tygamilk
04-18-2011, 01:49 PM
This was the perfect set to drop acid to. I'm sorry you guys disliked it so much.

DRcube
04-18-2011, 01:51 PM
fuck what everyone is saying, their set was fucking awesome.

JamesMills
04-18-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't understand how you could be a fan for a decade and hate that performance, I understand if you've only started enjoying them after Strawberry Jam or MPP, but this this was hearkening back to more of what they were doing a "decade" ago.

They only played a few of their older songs, so that irked me. I was really hoping for more Feels in particular. I know what you mean in that this was a lot more "Here Comes the Indian" sounding in terms of obscurity, but I don't care to see that type of music live... I listen to that when I feel like zoning out. I go to concerts to feel something more than nothing.

But like someone else said, maybe that was just my fault for not knowing what I was getting into.

Phantasma Del Mar
04-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Props to them for going out there in between two of the most popular bands all weekend and doing...that.

I was in the front tier of people and half the crowd was sitting down though. I literally fell asleep about 10 minutes into their set. Terrible stage selection for these guys.

JelloPuddingChat
04-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Yeah I still don't think they should of been on the main. Outdoor where Empire was slotted would of made sense. The amazing light show before them didn't help anyone's expectations either.

Penguin
04-18-2011, 02:16 PM
I tripped acid to this set. It was the best set geared towards psychedelics I have ever seen. Their audio-visual show was stunning. Of their own admission after their first few songs, the lead singer claimed they can get "a little weird". That was the point. Anyone who was "disappointed" with the set was probably sober, and by extension boring people. This was one of the top sets of the weekend.

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 02:24 PM
I really really liked this set more than I ever thought I would.

jeffp1717
04-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Anyone who was "disappointed" with the set was probably sober, and by extension boring people.

Wow. Amazing.

moomoo
04-18-2011, 02:27 PM
I tripped acid to this set. It was the best set geared towards psychedelics I have ever seen. Their audio-visual show was stunning. Of their own admission after their first few songs, the lead singer claimed they can get "a little weird". That was the point. Anyone who was "disappointed" with the set was probably sober, and by extension boring people. This was one of the top sets of the weekend.

Three big cubes with random color patterns swirling around on them..... stunning?

I think Ratatat had them beat in terms of visuals/production. That was insane.

tygamilk
04-18-2011, 02:31 PM

Perfectly said. Everyone in the fucking crowd was just fucking sitting down looking like they were fucking bored as fuck. My friend and I kept on going around the entire crowd looking for people actually appreciating the show, finally finding this party of 10 dressed up in semi-tribal clothing and going totally bezerk to the set so we obviously joined in.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE WEEKEND

Phantasma Del Mar
04-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Anyone who was "disappointed" with the set was probably sober, and by extension boring people.

Drugs should only enhance a show, not make it tolerable.

Brochella
04-18-2011, 02:56 PM
I couldn't connect with this show at all. Such a self-indulgent exhibition of disconnected sonic "concepts". Opening the set with a such a supremely bad-ass light show just made the rest of the set even more unenjoyable. My least favorite set of the weekend, no doubt.

Penguin
04-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Three big cubes with random color patterns swirling around on them..... stunning?

I think Ratatat had them beat in terms of visuals/production. That was insane.

It wasn't just the cubes...the two screen projectors had some of the craziest visuals of the weekend, no doubt. Flowing colors, changing faces...the visuals were dripping in psychedelic goodness. Very friendly for people tripping.

Penguin
04-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Drugs should only enhance a show, not make it tolerable.

It did enhance the set greatly. The sounds that they were using and the patterns they were using were meant to trigger and playfully make use of the tricks the mind plays on itself when tripping. It was wonderful.

Risingson
04-18-2011, 03:09 PM
ANIMAL FUCKING COLLECTIVE SUCKED FUCKING ASS!!!

Penguin
04-18-2011, 03:13 PM
I'd be willing to bet that everyone who says that Animal Collective was not good has never had a psychedelic experience.

Brochella
04-18-2011, 03:15 PM
I'd be willing to bet that everyone who says that Animal Collective was not good has never had a psychedelic experience.

Please

Risingson
04-18-2011, 03:22 PM

Are you fucking serious? I took everything I had before their show and none of it helped. It was just bad.. Luckily I made my way over to Robyn and was able to pretend it was actually Royksopp and she was just there as a guest singing The Girl and the Robot.

woogie846
04-18-2011, 03:37 PM

Stop.

stinkbutt
04-18-2011, 03:43 PM
hahaha drugs made it tolerable

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CQhdRGBBvKk/TV7n8tmYPrI/AAAAAAAAAQc/_QXNCQjtFa4/s1600/fixie_6.jpg

CrimesceneCookie
04-18-2011, 03:54 PM
So much hate here as usual...

Animal Collective was my favorite set on Saturday, and that's even after seeing Elbow, B.A.D., Wire, Here We Go Magic and Shpongle. I didn't see anyone around me that wasn't getting it, but I can kind of understand those who didn't.

It was the biggest & grandest acid show I have ever seen, and I have seen some crazy shit in my 41 years.

More in depth review later on from me if anyone cares.

MagneticField
04-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Anyone who was "disappointed" with the set was probably sober, and by extension boring people. This was one of the top sets of the weekend.
^THIS

stinkbutt
04-18-2011, 04:45 PM
DIE

MagneticField
04-18-2011, 04:48 PM
It's true though. I'm really happy that Animal Collective took a risk and created an unbelievable visual/aural experience for the trippers instead of a more easily accepted setlist of their popular songs. The experience exceeded all my expectations. Best set of the weekend.

Aphxtwinin
04-18-2011, 04:50 PM
"Im trying to grasp a reality but they are not giving me one, AAAAHHHH." my friend during animal collective tripping hard as fuck, he was freaking out

MagneticField
04-18-2011, 04:55 PM
I went straight for the aisle spots on the left/right of the middle-crowd speakers. Had to have something to lean on for my trip.

PassiveTheory
04-18-2011, 04:56 PM
As someone who pretty much dislikes 90% of Animal Collective's music and decided to give them a shot this time around, I thought it was alright. You could tell how deflated the crowd became after it became apparent that they weren't going to do a "greatest hits" set. Though it didn't really matter if you were on drugs or if you came into it with realistic expectations (i.e. READ THE SETLISTS THEY'RE PLAYING ON THIS TOUR YOU FUCKING JACKMOLES). Either way, they deserved to play the main stage and if you happened to enjoy the set, awesome. I was just glad to hear Summertime Clothes live.

send me ctrpllrs
04-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah... I'm going to have to go with that was the best Animal Collective show I've ever seen. They were so on point at Coachella. Great to see that set 3 times to be able to compare. Geologist really brought it all together. Definitely seems though that the people on acid enjoyed it the most. Which I did for the first time that night. But I'm pretty sure I would have felt the same way had I just been smoking weed. My favorite set of the weekend, followed very closely by Arcade Fire. Probably the best few hours of my life.

citizenerased
04-18-2011, 06:26 PM
I was on acid for Animal Collective '11. Once in a lifetime experience, who else is going to give them such a prime slot on that kind of a stage?

faxman75
04-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Me and a friend walked around the back of this set in yip yip suites.

http://9.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/c/7/collegehumor.bcfeb33c59e7bbb417a00cc7885ec388.jpg

That was about the only purpose the set served for me.

boyalien0
04-18-2011, 06:33 PM
I had my time with psychedelics back in high school, but can we please stop equating that set with tripping balls?

I was completely sober (okay, a beer or two before Mumford, what the fuck ever) and that was my 4th time seeing Animal Collective and it was EASILY the best I've seen. Did You See The Words, We Tigers, Brothersport, Summertime Clothes? Fuck me, that was one of the BEST SETS OF THE WEEKEND.

Somewhat Damaged
04-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Here's my one word review: ugh. I actually kind of like Merriweather Post Pavilion and I was with a couple of friends who are fans, and they were underwhelmed, too, so it's not just some Arcade Fire fan hating on something he doesn't understand. I understand plenty but if something's unlistenable bullshit, it's unlistenable bullshit. And if you happen to like unlistenable bullshit, more power to you. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and wish that I had as well.

boyalien0
04-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Here's my one word review: ugh. I actually kind of like Merriweather Post Pavilion and I was with a couple of friends who are fans, and they were underwhelmed, too, so it's not just some Arcade Fire fan hating on something he doesn't understand. I understand plenty but if something's unlistenable bullshit, it's unlistenable bullshit. And if you happen to like unlistenable bullshit, more power to you. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and wish that I had as well.

Oh, you "kind of like" their 8TH album? I totally trust your opinion.

send me ctrpllrs
04-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Like I said, I would have been just as amazed by their set had I not been tripping. I just saw those songs a few days prior and they sounded great, but they stepped it up even more for their Coachella set. Even ignoring how great the visuals were. Those 3 shows were my 7th, 8th and 9th time seeing them and it was by far the best one. One friend of mine did not like them before, it was his favorite set of the weekend.

Me and a friend walked around the back of this set in yip yip suites.

Definitely saw you guys in those. I was dancing quite a bit, as were my 2 friends with me, probably the only ones in the area, but you guys came our way at one point. You may have stopped for a tiny bit, but I'm not sure. We were to the right and behind the sound booth.

Jman4321
04-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Are you fucking serious? I took everything I had before their show and none of it helped. It was just bad.. Luckily I made my way over to Robyn and was able to pretend it was actually Royksopp and she was just there as a guest singing The Girl and the Robot.

Whatever combination you took must have been amazing, because it apparently sent you back in time to Friday night.

CrimesceneCookie
04-18-2011, 07:49 PM
People responded with the same hate for their set in '06. Like these are the EXACT SAME REVIEWS.
You know , the same people who somehow "loved" that same set years later when Strawberry Jam was actually released.