PDA

View Full Version : Coachella crowd control

BeaverCat
01-18-2011, 10:24 PM
I went to Buy Tickets earlier and it said that you will NOT be allowed within a square mile of festival/campgrounds/parking lots if you are not wearing or don't have your wristband on you. I checked again and that info was taken down.

untzcrate
01-18-2011, 10:35 PM
It's up again.

Best news I've heard.

indietron
01-18-2011, 10:54 PM
AWESOME news

Bumblebee
01-19-2011, 12:00 AM
An admission that WAAAAY to many people snuck in last year and overcrowded inside the festival grounds.

If caught without a wristband, do they drive you back into INDIO and throw you on the curb?

le cab
01-19-2011, 12:04 AM
BEST NEWS EVER!!!

omfg fuck yeah.

cause I know for a fkn fact that people who came to see Kanye West, Wiz Khalifa and more urban artists will not throw down 300+ to JUST come and see them.

i.e. Jay-Z last year.

edit: where is this again??? I don't see it.

jimmycrackcorn
01-19-2011, 12:23 AM
Maybe a lil less of the "got any extra tickets?" "need any tickets?" Or "wanna buy a shirt?" This year huh...

Bumblebee
01-19-2011, 01:43 AM
It also means attendees have upwards of 3 weeks to make fake wristbands for friends/sale.

I'd imagine that it's the plastic "chip" wristbands again.

choice cat
01-19-2011, 01:50 AM
I just foresee lots of problems with the part about having to sign for your wrist band at home, if I'm reading right. Kinda hard for people that have work/school which is the majority of us.

discobotica
01-19-2011, 01:54 AM
BEST NEWS EVER!!!

omfg fuck yeah.

cause I know for a fkn fact that people who came to see Kanye West, Wiz Khalifa and more blacker artists will not throw down 300+ to JUST come and see them.

i.e. Jay-Z last year.

fixed

Mugwog
01-19-2011, 02:17 AM
line up is good enough for crowd control

OH!

frazzles
01-19-2011, 03:09 AM
Good news, yes. Better news is that in addition to this measure YOU DON'T SELL 75K TICKETS AGAIN THIS YEAR

sleepybrew
01-19-2011, 05:55 AM
Thank you, GV. Now please actually enforce this

jimmycrackcorn
01-19-2011, 06:10 AM
I just foresee lots of problems with the part about having to sign for your wrist band at home, if I'm reading right. Kinda hard for people that have work/school which is the majority of us.

Piece o crap my mailing address is a p.o. box! WTF is up with no po boxes?! A lot of times when paying with a credit card they will not ship to a address other than your billing adress (which of course is my po box)... sooooooo =/

aphrael
01-19-2011, 07:19 AM

All of the major shipping services - FedEx, UPS, DHL, USPS - allow you to redirect packages and/or designate someone else to sign for you and/or go to their local distro facility to pick things up. Unless Goldenvoice is using private couriers (unlikely, as it would be fantastically expensive), one of these options will be available.

It would be nice if they told you which service they were using so you could make alternative plans, and I can see a major issue if you happen to be out of town when the tickets arrive, as these services usually only try for 3 days running and then give up and ship the package back ... but, generally speaking, the problem of having people sign for packages is a common enough one that there are a standard set of solutions. :)

aphrael
01-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Piece o crap my mailing address is a p.o. box! WTF is up with no po boxes?! A lot of times when paying with a credit card they will not ship to a address other than your billing adress (which of course is my po box)... sooooooo =/

Probably means they're shipping via UPS or FedEx, neither of whom ship to PO Boxes.

If they're using UPS - once the first attempt to deliver the package fails and they give you an infonotice, you can go onto the UPS website and, for $4, redirect the package to somewhere else and/or say you want to pick it up at their distribution center. You may even be able to do that before you get the infonotice, if you have a tracking number.

(I live in an apartment where it's effectively impossible to get UPS deliveries, so this comes up regularly for me --- I remember to send packages to work, but my husband doesn't necessarily, and distant relatives never do).

aphrael
01-19-2011, 07:23 AM
I went to Buy Tickets earlier and it said that you will NOT be allowed within a square mile of festival/campgrounds/parking lots if you are not wearing or don't have your wristband on you. I checked again and that info was taken down.

I don't understand how that works unless they also don't have will call onsite. Which makes me wonder if they have an off-site will call office; I mean, surely there must be some provision for international visitors, tickets lost in the mail, etc.

jimmycrackcorn
01-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Probably means they're shipping via UPS or FedEx, neither of whom ship to PO Boxes.

If they're using UPS - once the first attempt to deliver the package fails and they give you an infonotice, you can go onto the UPS website and, for $4, redirect the package to somewhere else and/or say you want to pick it up at their distribution center. You may even be able to do that before you get the infonotice, if you have a tracking number.

(I live in an apartment where it's effectively impossible to get UPS deliveries, so this comes up regularly for me --- I remember to send packages to work, but my husband doesn't necessarily, and distant relatives never do).

yeah no matter what i'm going for it... just sux though

indietron
01-19-2011, 08:16 AM
I don't understand how that works unless they also don't have will call onsite. Which makes me wonder if they have an off-site will call office; I mean, surely there must be some provision for international visitors, tickets lost in the mail, etc.

Good point. Last year they had vip / artist will call at a hotel just outside the fest and it was pretty busy. I couldn't imagine where they would do it for general will call

ShyGuy75
01-19-2011, 11:13 AM
so their solution to the problem is something that is logistically unenforceable and doesn't address the true problem which is too many tix? great

matsuolost
01-19-2011, 11:34 AM

exactly my concern

BeaverCat
01-19-2011, 11:39 AM
so their solution to the problem is something that is logistically unenforceable and doesn't address the true problem which is too many tix? great

At the moment we have no way of knowing if they're even selling less tickets this year.

Stickjohn
01-19-2011, 12:07 PM
BEST NEWS EVER!!!

omfg fuck yeah.

cause I know for a fkn fact that people who came to see Kanye West, Wiz Khalifa and more urban artists will not throw down 300+ to JUST come and see them.

i.e. Jay-Z last year.

just say it

HandBanana
01-19-2011, 12:33 PM
THE SHERIFF IS A NI—

wstsidela
01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
lol

KickerConspiracy
01-19-2011, 12:38 PM

Also, by PO Box they don't mean private mailbox like at Mailboxes, etc - they mean only boxes at the actual post office. Also, I'm pretty sure you'll get a notice from UPS of attempted delivery, even if you have a PO Box.

Bumblebee
01-19-2011, 02:29 PM

5-10,000 people snuck in last year.

BeaverCat
04-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Gate Jumpers gon' get cut yo!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/21/94433591_6775cc6525_o.jpg

Cheddar's Cousin
04-04-2011, 02:47 PM
It's Beautiful, Man!

DeanCorso
04-04-2011, 05:59 PM
beam me up scotty. just please not a clusterfuck of people inside. getting out was a total pain in the ass.

gooftroop
04-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Barbed wire never looked so sexy.

Iamwelting
04-08-2011, 05:22 AM
Pretty sure it's been established that the barbed wire pic is not from Coachella.

TomAz
04-08-2011, 06:24 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2021/1982035178_a63a4d1399.jpg

BeaverCat
04-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Pretty sure it's been established that the barbed wire pic is not from Coachella.

...Yeah....my bad y'all....

ThatGuyFromCanada
04-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Awesome thread. Along with the barbed wire, security is allowed to use and/or throw pitchforks at gate jumpers.

BeaverCat
04-08-2011, 07:15 AM
There is no barbed wire fence.

ThatGuyFromCanada
04-08-2011, 07:18 AM
There is no barbed wire fence.

It was merely a joke. But in all seriousness, security better not fuck this up. This will be my first Coachella.

mikespimpin
04-08-2011, 09:44 AM
5-10,000 people snuck in last year.

source?

Bumblebee
04-08-2011, 02:53 PM
source?

Paul T was asked point blank last year and gave some vague "I'm not good with numbers" answer.

Plus, they went to considerable effort with these new wristbands, Interprete that any way you like. Though I think they can be removable with a tiny modification.

hydr1
04-08-2011, 02:59 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coachella_Valley_Music_and_Arts_Festival

2010 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival The 2010 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival was held April 16–18, once again at the Empire Polo Field in Indio, California. 2010 was the first year single-day tickets weren't sold. Over the course of three days, the festival attracted an estimated average aggregate of 225,000 attendees since only 60,000+ three day passes were sold, this was the highest attendance since 2008.

Mammoth85
04-08-2011, 10:00 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coachella_Valley_Music_and_Arts_Festival

2010 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival The 2010 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival was held April 1618, once again at the Empire Polo Field in Indio, California. 2010 was the first year single-day tickets weren't sold. Over the course of three days, the festival attracted an estimated average aggregate of 225,000 attendees since only 60,000+ three day passes were sold, this was the highest attendance since 2008.

I don't quite understand the math of this. Does that mean an estimated 165,000 people snuck in? Or does the 225,000 figure include employees and acts? This statement has always befuddled me.

Radiohead
04-08-2011, 10:15 PM
I don't quite understand the math of this. Does that mean an estimated 165,000 people snuck in? Or does the 225,000 figure include employees and acts? This statement has always befuddled me.

What they mean is 75,000 x 3 days = 225,000. I've always thought it was stupid how they state attendance this way, since it's the same people attending each day.

billtino
04-08-2011, 10:40 PM
75k - 60k = 15k made up of coachella staff (security, trash crew, stage crew, more security, cops, narcs, ect), media, volunteers, bands & their crew, acts, art peeps, multiple vendors (food, drinks, clothing, music, technology showcasing) & their crew and of course - the random fence jumpers.

hydr1
04-08-2011, 10:41 PM
But they claim to have sold 60,000 each day...so that's 15000 extra that didn't pay..that's a quarter of the legit sales.

Waiting in lines 25% longer.....25% less room...25% cool that my broke homies were there.
25% less water available. 25% longer in parking lots, entrance and exit. 25% more little raver gremlins on 25% more beans lol

I know over sixty people that paid someone to drive them in on a golf cart for money. I know people that get patted down and walk right through the gates past the ticket scanner...its very easy to do. Was. If your confident you can make anhthing happen. Just get heavily drugged and walk around like charlie sheen. Calm and collected as your tiger blood pumps. What a rush. Feels better to not be a broke ass and pay thought.

fredbull
04-09-2011, 07:49 AM
But they claim to have sold 60,000 each day...so that's 15000 extra that didn't pay..that's a quarter of the legit sales.

wrong

75k - 60k = 15k made up of coachella staff (security, trash crew, stage crew, more security, cops, narcs, ect), media, volunteers, bands & their crew, acts, art peeps, multiple vendors (food, drinks, clothing, music, technology showcasing) & their crew and of course

That seems like a more logical interpretation of the numbers...

i don't think golden voice would ever release an estimate of how many people fence jumped because that would just make them look bad.

hydr1
04-09-2011, 10:36 AM
We are always jumling for the thrill of it.
always pushing up the fence searching for the thrill of it.

frizzlefry
04-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Cute post, lousy sig

thagorillaz
04-14-2011, 11:15 PM
BEST NEWS EVER!!!

omfg fuck yeah.

i.e. Jay-Z last year.

lol. people who come to see urban artists are most likely to steal their way in hrmmm. why would that be? are you saying that peoples music preference dictates their actions, or that there is some other unifying factor that makes fans of urban music more likely to steal. Now what could you possibly be alluding to....
-tim

Cheddar's Cousin
04-15-2011, 05:40 AM
What?

Even white kids who listen to Jay Z and Kanye are more prone to steal...

Ardentbiscuit
04-15-2011, 12:34 PM
That photo reminds me of this post...

http://forum.electricpicnic.ie/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9751

So it seems word is spreading on what a joke Coachella is. Unlucky guys, the joke is up. GV ya better actually try to put on a FESTIVAL next year and not a concentration camp built to make as much $$$$ over 5 days in a POLO FIELD near PALM SPRINGS!

Stupid hipsters.

And fuckin right, I won't be back.

http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31742

Gate Jumpers gon' get cut yo!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/21/94433591_6775cc6525_o.jpg