PDA

View Full Version : line up sucks guys

LunaVC
01-18-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm not up on my erykah badu or chemical bros and I'm sure they both released an album last year maybe

but they're ancient and past it

chemical isn't even real dance music

bloody beetroots AGAIN?

Boys Noize AGAIN?

but no Fake Blood? ok

Dj Hype? Zinc? errrmm and no Netsky? erm ok

Lauryn Hill? are you serious?

Jimmy Eat World? seriously, why not just get some lame sauce punk band like bouncing souls and have them

Elbow? seriously? why not Shed Seven? nobody listen to them anymore either

2o of those acts have played Coachella twice in the last 4 years anyway

maybe I need to listen to the mix that someone did for last years lineup

but I'm really not stoked on seeing gogol bordello again
do they live at Indio or something, I swear they are there every year

wstsidela
01-18-2011, 10:18 PM
I'll cut a glory hole in one of the port-a-potties then you can be the branch manager of your very own sperm bank. We'll place you near the Sahara tent. Now you happy?

LunaVC
01-18-2011, 10:23 PM
I'll cut a glory hole in one of the port-a-potties then you can be the branch manager of your very own sperm bank. We'll place you near the Sahara tent. Now you happy?

Todd Edwards

the bloke has an entire dance music genre based on him

doesn't get booked to Dj the fucking dancey tent thing

but Chemical Brothers get blown the dust off of em and rehashed for another year

maybe they'll do a duet with Norman Cook, that song about praising someone

lame

sauce

schmechel-deckle
01-18-2011, 10:28 PM
you are high... or not high enough. it will be an amazing 3 days like every year. quit wanking and find some bands you like that ARE on the poster

oyeloca
01-18-2011, 10:30 PM
bloody and boys noize are now live
they were dj set before

Mammoth85
01-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Not as much as you suck.

milos57
01-18-2011, 10:36 PM
I've already bought my ticket, plan on attending the festival and know that in all likelihood I'll have a blast, but in all my years of going to Coachella, this is the worst lineup I've seen.

Sure, there are names I'm excited for. The Chemical Brothers, Arcade Fire, Cut Copy, Leftfield, Death From Above 1979, The Tallest Man on Earth and Duran Duran, to name a few. The fact that the undercard is incomparably indie this year isn't that intimidating either. I'm sure I'll get more excited once I begin listening to the bands.

But the headliners and subheadliners? WHAT THE FUCK.

Imagining Animal Collective, The Black Keys and The National in the same spots held by My Bloody Valentine, Atoms for Peace and The Jesus and Mary Chain in previous years is a big, empty laugh. You can always count on Coachella to throw a great undercard together, but I remember when we could also count on them to blow our collective minds with a few names that came out of nowhere: Prince, Daft Punk, even Fever Ray, even Paul fucking McCartney. This quality was what elevated Coachella above other US festivals and why I spent the time and money getting to Indio each year.

This festival lineup is missing just one name to make our jaws drop. Even Neil Young would have redeemed it. I'm praying that 2011 will see another surprise headliner or subheadliner added at the last minute as in 2008 but I also fear that AEG just doesn't give a shit anymore.

Finally, I know I'm the millionth person to say this, but I have to: FUCK KINGS OF LEON.

Leeartlee
01-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Well put milos

LunaVC
01-18-2011, 10:38 PM
thing about KOL - they were HUGE like a year or two ago

so i respect that

but it doesn't matter how much Coachella try to ram Gogol Bordello down my throat I will not like them

stop booking them!

shoegazer76
01-18-2011, 10:42 PM
How them Lolla leftovers taste ya'll. Have fun.
Hopin they sell single days but I'm not gonna bank on it.

UpwardsOfUnknown
01-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Kings of Leon should be mopping up after PJ Harvey.

InF3cT10uZ
01-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Death from above 1979.......no complaints here

bluemamba
01-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Sit back and watch it sell out this year. I do agree with you on what you said about the Chemical Bros.

LunaVC
01-18-2011, 10:48 PM
PJ Harvey can go eat a pizza

shoegazer76
01-18-2011, 10:51 PM
you guys cool with payin $275 + expenses to deal with crowds and 45 minute sets from your favorite acts? Really hoping PJ stops in Vegas before or afterword.

suprefan
01-18-2011, 10:52 PM
We dont care about your bad music taste. Get out.

nationocean
01-18-2011, 10:52 PM
I've already bought my ticket, plan on attending the festival and know that in all likelihood I'll have a blast, but in all my years of going to Coachella, this is the worst lineup I've seen.

Sure, there are names I'm excited for. The Chemical Brothers, Arcade Fire, Cut Copy, Leftfield, Death From Above 1979, The Tallest Man on Earth and Duran Duran, to name a few. The fact that the undercard is incomparably indie this year isn't that intimidating either. I'm sure I'll get more excited once I begin listening to the bands.

Imagining Animal Collective, The Black Keys and The National in the same spots held by My Bloody Valentine, Atoms for Peace and The Jesus and Mary Chain in previous years is a big, empty laugh. You can always count on Coachella to throw a great undercard together, but I remember when we could also count on them to blow our collective minds with a few names that came out of nowhere: Prince, Daft Punk, even Fever Ray, even Paul fucking McCartney. This quality was what elevated Coachella above other US festivals and why I spent the time and money getting to Indio each year.

This festival lineup is missing just one name to make our jaws drop. Even Neil Young would have redeemed it. I'm praying that 2011 will see another surprise headliner or subheadliner added at the last minute as in 2008 but I also fear that AEG just doesn't give a shit anymore.

Finally, I know I'm the millionth person to say this, but I have to: FUCK KINGS OF LEON.

Must. Repost. This. EVERYWHERE

suprefan
01-18-2011, 10:53 PM
EPIC POST OF THE YEAR TO DETHRONE THICKETS!

didimydoe3
01-18-2011, 11:08 PM
I can't wait. It's not like any of the people hating have anything better to do than go but whine to their co-workers at Urban Outfitters. Suits me!

thenoiboi
01-18-2011, 11:13 PM
PJ Harvey can go eat a pizza

and then, when she's done, put on a great set.

Vasoline Groove
01-18-2011, 11:20 PM
you guys cool with payin $275 + expenses to deal with crowds and 45 minute sets from your favorite acts? Really hoping PJ stops in Vegas before or afterword.

And then makes her way up to San Fran for a show up here. I'm sure that she will do some sort of a tour. Fingers crossed for a Duck Sauce and Black Keys shows in SF.

Yeah, the line-up doesn't have any wow factor, and most of the bands that I want to see I have already seen them in the past 24 months so no reason to shell out big cash for this.

greenspicoli
01-18-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm not up on my erykah badu or chemical bros and I'm sure they both released an album last year maybe

bloody beetroots AGAIN?

Boys Noize AGAIN?

but no Fake Blood? ok

Jimmy Eat World? seriously, why not just get some lame sauce punk band like bouncing souls and have them

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/4685/98750k.jpg

newnostalgia
01-18-2011, 11:38 PM
i think if GV put just one good rock band on there... that would be nice.. Neil Young, White Stripes.. hell even Dr Dre would be fkin awesome.. just something that makes you go oooooooooooooooh. not oh ok, that could be fun...i thought coachella was into blowing minds, I'm really hoping for a big late add.. which probly wont happen. but please coachella Redeem yourself... and hire some real showmanship....there are literally 6 bands i'd like to see the whole fkin weekend

the goat
01-19-2011, 02:13 AM
M_wGLZmwZ8o

Hysterical and useless, indeed.

You know where you aren't when.

CellarOwl
01-19-2011, 02:24 AM
If Daft Punk was included on the poster and nothing else was different, not one other band was added or dropped from how it looks now, people would be losing their minds saying how unbelievable this year looks.

DFrank
01-19-2011, 02:27 AM
If you count more than 15 artists that you want to see (which is how many i see on Friday alone), then the money is worth it.

the goat
01-19-2011, 02:32 AM
If Daft Punk was included on the poster and nothing else was different, not one other band was added or dropped from how it looks now, people would be losing their minds saying how unbelievable this year looks.

Not me. I fucking love this poster as it is.

Daft Punk (on Friday, perhaps) would make me love it even more. But then I think of all the sweaty ass Tron-suit-wearin tweekers I'd have to wade through just to get my wristband, and maybe its not such a bad thing after all.

Wicked Spork
01-19-2011, 02:36 AM

my. thoughts. exactly.

and come on....did everyone forget about dre?

regardless, there are plenty of bands i want to see and im going no matter what and ill have way too much fun. Just wish there was that one jaw-dropping band, like you stated so perfectly.

WhyTheLongFace
01-19-2011, 02:44 AM
Without one ounce of research I want to see 42 acts. $300/42= $7.12

$7.12 to see Kanye West. Sounds like a good lineup to me

Mucho Maas
01-19-2011, 02:50 AM
milos...come on.

you're bashing the subs by comparing them to great picks from a variety of years? okay, great point proven! subs from every year combined > subs from 2011.

insightful. for days.

Cpt. Funkaho
01-19-2011, 02:57 AM

^This. I think my count is pretty similar, which means there are some really tough choices I'm going to have to make, because I've *never* been able to catch more than about 8-10 sets in a day.

In any case, amazing lineup.

the goat
01-19-2011, 03:05 AM
milos...come on.

you're bashing the subs by comparing them to great picks from a variety of years? okay, great point proven! subs from every year combined > subs from 2011.

insightful. for days.

milos is apparently missing one other important point: The Black Keys and The National are FUCKING GREAT BANDS.

Overlee
01-19-2011, 03:15 AM
Crystal Castles is misspelled on the poster :rotfl

stellarpoet22
01-19-2011, 03:25 AM
i bitched allot about the line up coming out, i cant bitch about the line up itself , theres only so much bitching a man can do.....so- fuck you shut up...

betao
01-19-2011, 07:25 AM

That sounds about $50 overpriced. You're getting ripped off man.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 07:35 AM
I've calmed down since last night.

I've just going to spend time checking out the small acts.

I discovered Temper Trap and Passion Pit thru the coachella mix someone did last year.

There is hope.

it just has to grow inside me

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 07:39 AM

Pretty much what he said ^^

JamesMills
01-19-2011, 07:40 AM
you are high... or not high enough. it will be an amazing 3 days like every year. quit wanking and find some bands you like that ARE on the poster

Obviously it's still going to be a blast, but GV has put out amazing lineups before. Why can't we express our dismay on their fucking forum? It's the kind of critique they want to hear.

Whatever, it doesn't matter though, Coachella is officially a fucking pop/electro fest now and probably won't go back given it's going to be more popular to the casual music listener than ever.

Just sad though because, quite frankly, this line up does suck, guys.

depechemodekraftwerk
01-19-2011, 07:47 AM
300 dollars for 42 acts??? How many of the 42 do you want to see??
AGAIN no pressure to make a lineup when u got fools paying for 3 days and not some 99 dollar one day tickets.

then to give the country fest and make it 3 times cheaper...... and probably have a better lineup n 2 days than 3 days coachella.

thom cobain
01-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Plenty for me to see. Well worth it.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 07:52 AM
maybe 2011 is a bad year for music I dunno

maybe last years, this year big thing are too big for coachella

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 07:52 AM
300 dollars for 42 acts??? How many of the 42 do you want to see??
AGAIN no pressure to make a lineup when u got fools paying for 3 days and not some 99 dollar one day tickets.

then to give the country fest and make it 3 times cheaper...... and probably have a better lineup n 2 days than 3 days coachella.

I love how you call people fools for wanting to spend $300 on music THEY like. Seriously, get the fuck out of here with this bullshit.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Tucson is a small village in Mexico right?

darkjustice
01-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Chumpy thread

KickerConspiracy
01-19-2011, 07:56 AM
I'm all about the Shed Seven - they should bring back all the 90's brit pop bands - Elastica, Echobelly, Sleeper, Lush, Gene ...

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Tucson is a small village in Mexico right?

Apparently you're either not very witty or completely lost in the department of Geography. All you are doing is bitching and moaning while most people I know actually dig this lineup. Does it bother you that much that there are plenty of other people don't agree with you that you need to keep bitching and moaning?

You are annoying.

JamesMills
01-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Put it this way, Fever Ray, PIL, and Devo were better than ANY subheadliner this year, and they weren't even fucking subheadliners last year. Think about that for a second. Now consider that last year also saw Atoms for Peace, Pavement, and LCD as subheadliners, while this year we get acts like fucking Mumford and Sons.

Some lame shit right there.

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Put it this way, Fever Ray, PIL, and Devo were better than ANY subheadliner this year, and they weren't even fucking subheadliners last year. Think about that for a second. Now consider that last year also saw Atoms for Peace, Pavement, and LCD as subheadliners, while this year we get acts like fucking Mumford and Sons.

Then don't go.

It will help with the crowd if all you people who are bitching don't go.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Apparently you're either not very witty or completely lost in the department of Geography. All you are doing is bitching and moaning while most people I know actually dig this lineup. Does it bother you that much that there are plenty of other people don't agree with you that you need to keep bitching and moaning?

You are annoying.

my first post I said I am like a sponge I want to soak up the small acts

recommend me some

I'll private message you what I liked from last year and you can recommend me something

cheers boss

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 08:04 AM

see i disagree with you here

Mumford are a popular new band right

so have them on

i can get with that

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 08:07 AM
I am not a Mumford fan but complaining about them subbing is dumb. They are very popular right now. That's not surprising in the least. I don't see how LCD was any more deserving of subbing than Mumford and I like LCD way more than Mumford.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 08:13 AM
I agree with blokey from Tucson

CellarOwl
01-19-2011, 08:13 AM
I distinctly remember people posting that last year's lineup was some level of bullshit and that there was no way LCD could sub. They thought there'd be a late add over them.

HandBanana
01-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Honestly, I hardly ever go left of the Outdoor Stage anyway.
In like 7 years of going every year Ive been to the Main Stage like 8 times

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 08:22 AM
I distinctly remember people posting that last year's lineup was some level of bullshit and that there was no way LCD could sub. They thought there'd be a late add over them.

Exactly

I'dDoItAllAgain
01-19-2011, 09:30 AM

A wise man (or lady), you are.

Gribbz
01-19-2011, 09:46 AM

Boom. There you have it.

And the Chemical Brothers aren't "real" dance music?

What the fuck is "real" dance music?

Shitty thread is shitty.

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 09:49 AM
What the fuck is "real" dance music?

David Guetta and Black Eyed Peas

couchboys
01-19-2011, 09:57 AM
line up sucks, but whatever...you can find me at the do lab, zigga zooow

JamesMills
01-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Then don't go.

It will help with the crowd if all you people who are bitching don't go.
=

lol are you kidding? This shit will sell out quicker than ever with all these pop bands.

And again, I already bought my tix the day preorders went up, and I will most definitely have a blast. The point is that GV is capable of doing a LOT better, and if we don't voice our concerns, this hipster shit is going to keep perpetuating until it becomes bought by MTV.

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 10:59 AM
=

And again, I already bought my tix the day preorders went up, and I will most definitely have a blast. The point is that GV is capable of doing a LOT better, and if we don't voice our concerns, this hipster shit is going to keep perpetuating until it becomes bought by MTV.

I could swear I heard the same thing about last year's lineup and back when I was only casually lurking during previous lineup releases.

JamesMills
01-19-2011, 11:01 AM
That's a tired excuse, and even if it was true, it just further proves the point that the lineup is getting potentially more poppy/electro/main stream.

HunterGather
01-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Wow, this is a pretty sick lineup! And I'm not even going!

Theijuiel
01-19-2011, 11:10 AM
line up sucks, but whatever...you can find me at the do lab, zigga zooow

No Do Lab, sucker!! Mwhahahahahahahha

GuyInTucson
That's a tired excuse, and even if it was true, it just further proves the point that the lineup is getting potentially more poppy/electro/main stream.

Proves what point? That you don't like the lineup?

There are a handful of people each year that don't like the lineup. You can't please everyone.

And newsflash, there has ALWAYS been a pop element at Coachella. I just think that the "pop" music scale has been much broader in the past three years than in year's past thanks to the internet and the failure of the music industry as a whole. It's amazing - people with actual talent are moving back to the forefront of music regardless of what label they are affiliated with.

Sorry, you can call it pop/mainstream all you want, there are still PLENTY of acts on the lineup I have never heard of and would love to get to know.

J~$$$$
No Do Lab, sucker!! Mwhahahahahahahha

The do lab say they will be there.......twitter.

Congrats to our friends from @goldenvoice RT @coachella: See you in Indio! April 15th-17th http://twitpic.com/3rd0ni

hendrixfan143
01-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Every band sounds like they loved the 80's.

hellmet
01-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Coachella is always fun, even with a bad line-up, this year it's most disappointing. A name or two (DFA 1979) but really the rest can be either casino shows or small pub venue acts.

hellmet
01-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Maybe Los del Rio and Paris Hilton are not in a distant future, isn't ironic? don't you think?

GeminiDC
01-19-2011, 11:36 AM
I hate the headliners this year with the exception of AF which is meh. That being said there are a lot of other bands I am looking forward to seeing so I'm at least happy about that. The headliners are a complete letdown for me enough that I will probably go back to my tent to drink during those periods unless they are against someone good.

Electrotek
01-19-2011, 11:39 AM
lol at the dipshit saying Chemicals aren't "real dance music"

Son, they helped define modern electronic dance music you fucktard.

Mike.H
01-19-2011, 11:43 AM
man i feel bad for you guys, im pretty stoked on this lineup. black keys, interpol, cold war kids, the strokes, dfa 1979!!!!!, broken social scene, two door cinema club, foals, klaxons, ratatat...i could go on. i will agree though, kol should not be a headliner and mumford and sons should be one of the lower bands.

badmthfckr
01-19-2011, 11:45 AM
There are gonna be tons of bands that you'd never seek out if they weren't on this bill, which is a good thing. But maybe, just maybe have a lineup that reflects the 300 dollar pill we all have to swallow. ACL, Lolla, Bonnaroo, these festivals have better lineups for far less cost. I just think it's typical SoCal gouging. With that said, I am still going and will have a sh*t ton of fun, but I can see where people are coming from.

JustSteve
01-19-2011, 11:47 AM

reserved seating is something like $300 to $800, rv spots the same. and good luck seeing anything from ga there since blankets and chairs take up most of that space. can't compare the two, dumbass.

JustSteve
01-19-2011, 11:48 AM
The point is that GV is capable of doing a LOT better

you are really ignorant as to what it takes to book a festival...

rebel86
01-19-2011, 11:58 AM
The less losers attend, the less douchbags I'll have to deal with there, and the easier it is to get tickets. So thank you haters for staying home this year.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 12:01 PM
lol at the dipshit saying Chemicals aren't "real dance music"

Son, they helped define modern electronic dance music you fucktard.

I think that was the UK rave scene not Chemical Brothers

Maybe in the States where Moby was popular but not in my world.

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 12:03 PM
I think that was the UK rave scene not Chemical Brothers

Maybe in the States where Moby was popular but not in my world.

The UK rave scene defined modern dance music? Yeah ok

gooftroop
01-19-2011, 12:09 PM
It's a weak lineup by Coachella's standards no doubt but undercard is really solid this year. Sunday is just stacked with a ton of artists I want to see, Saturday could use a few.

Last year's lineup was definitely better though, I'm disappointed there's not a headliner I haven't seen already. Regardless there's still more than enough to make for a great weekend.

Jman4321
01-19-2011, 12:10 PM
you are really ignorant as to what it takes to book a festival...

Isn't it just a genie and an infinite money printing machine? Dude, Goldenvoice has got like three of each, right?

Anyway, this is my 5th year running and I'm happy with the lineup. It doesn't look life-changing but does look very entertaining. I would have liked Pulp, but I'll take Suede.

chucky canuck
01-19-2011, 12:15 PM
maybe the sub-standard lineup is a way of addressing the overcrowding of last year's event.

jk....this thing would still sell out, even if Jack Johnson and Kings of Leon shared the headline spots every day

rasooli
01-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Very disappointed in the lineup. There were about 15 acts I was really hoping to see and NONE of them were on the lineup. With that said, there are only about 7 acts I'm really excited to see (Chem Bros, Nosaj Thing, Arcade Fire, The Twelves, Shprongle, Elbow, and Trentmoller). Headliners and Subheadliners are terrible, and there are no quality rap/hip acts. No Tribe, Beastie Boys, Wu Tang....NOTHING. WHAT THE FUCK. This lineup is NOTHING compared to 2010, when there was like 35 acts I was really excited to see. The lineup has way too much indie and not enough quality electronic acts. By far the worst lineup I've seen since the inception of Coachella.

HandBanana
01-19-2011, 12:19 PM
That was rasooli everyone.
Voted Worst Noob of the Year just 36 hours ago.
(applause)

Cookieman908
01-19-2011, 12:20 PM
there are no quality rap/hip acts. No Tribe, Beastie Boys, Wu Tang....NOTHING.

I guess you're not a Kanye or Nas fan. To each his own.

shoegazer76
01-19-2011, 12:22 PM
I said my piece on the Your Biggest Billing WTF thread. I feel much better now.

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 12:23 PM
That was rasooli everyone.
Voted Worst Noob of the Year just 36 hours ago.
(applause)

http://www.stephenrahn.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/applause.gif

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 12:25 PM
I guess you're not a Kanye or Nas fan. To each his own.

his request list was terrible so if he thinks the lineup is weak then I think we are in for a good three days of Coachella this year.

SP The Ghost
01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
I personally find this year is much more to my taste. The Sahara will be great. That, and most of the bands I really love from Coachella are the ones I discover on the bottom of each day, not the headliners or subheadliners who I usually ignore anyway.

ErikFlyingV
01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
This lineup, although initial frustrating, will make for a good time.

The problem, for me atleast, is none of the acts are acts I would normally pay to see. Whereas in previous years, there were atleast 10 that screamed "must-see"

That aside, this year I will be able to walk stage to stage, almost blindly, and discover new bands.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 12:37 PM
The UK rave scene defined modern dance music? Yeah ok

well I could be wrong

or maybe you're right

maybe it was Chemical Brothers

ya know

they did that joint with Noel Gallagher

bam! 15 years later and we get Dubstep, Electro and Uk Funky

I can see where you're coming from with that theory

totally makes sense

Chemical Brothers inspired Wiley to invent Grime

wasn't hardcore or the rave scene at all

Still-ill
01-19-2011, 12:37 PM
well I could be wrong

or maybe you're right

ya know

totally makes sense

http://www.rockymusic.org/img/celebrityphotos/MeatLoaf-Paradise-EllenFoley1978L.jpg

Jman4321
01-19-2011, 12:39 PM
I love that picture.

shoegazer76
01-19-2011, 12:41 PM
well I could be wrong

or maybe you're right

ya know

totally makes sense

You've never been to Detroit or Chicago have you?
Theres a couple of little genres called Techno & House & maybe a little before that our good friends Kraftwerk pioneered modern electronica in Europe.
Theres a crash course for you.
Theres also this new thing out called wikipedia. Try it you might like it.

Bons222000
01-19-2011, 12:43 PM
I don't think this year's headliners are worse than last years, I just think the subs are worse. Day 3 is Kanye, the Strokes, Duran Duran, that's a legit headliner/subs day...outside of that there really isn't one. Bands like the Black Keys and Animal Collective I figured would be on the third line, not second from the top acts.

Kanye is as good as Jay Z, Arcade Fire is as good as Muse, and as far as I'm concerned, Kings of Leon is as good as Gorillaz. That's not because I love Kings, it's becasue I thought Gorillaz sucked last year.

Overall it's a solid lineup. Not the most memorable, but solid. It's very now. The last two important albums released were Kanye's and Arcade Fire's. Outside the subs I'm pleased overall.

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 12:43 PM
well I could be wrong

or maybe you're right

ya know

totally makes sense

Go listen to a Daft Punk track called "Teachers" and that song will literally list to you the people who have defined EDM. They aren't the artists of today; they are the artists of the early rave/club scene, which started here in the states, not the UK.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 12:56 PM
oh come on

yeah you had house and techno which wasn't that received in the States

that's why people like Todd Edwards, Marshall Jefferson, MAW, Kevin Saunderson, Larry Levan etc etc are worshipped over in Europe. I'll agree with you all day long that it started there, but hardcore started in the UK and gave birth to other genres.
Thought that was common knowledge.

And Chemical Brothers had nothing to do with it. When Chemical Brothers first came around the biggest scene around was the UK rave scene, early hardcore and jungle.

In fact if you said Prodigy defined modern dance music that would make more sense. What the hell were Chemical Brothers doing in 1992? Nothing. You may as well say Happy Clappers and Ce Ce Penniston defined dubstep and electro FFS.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 01:00 PM
actually it doesnt mention any of the people that I mentioned only todd edwards

they need to add the following

MK is in the house - started garage
Kevin Saunderson (Inner City) is in the house - started techno
DJ Pierre is in the house - acid
Larry Levan is in the house - New York garage
Marshall Jefferson is in the house

well done Daft Punk

CellarOwl
01-19-2011, 01:01 PM
You may as well say Happy Clappers and Ce Ce Penniston defined dubstep and electro FFS.

yIP_NnNDVtE

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 01:02 PM
i actually like ce ce pennistion btw

have the album

"keep on walking"? that shit is munny yo

HandBanana
01-19-2011, 01:03 PM
"Keep on Walkin" is a swing-house CLASSIC.
The Magician or Twelves could work that track in a way that would make the 22-year olds shart themselves.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 01:07 PM
GOTTA LOTTA TIME FOOR HANDBANANA YO

BLOKE IS SAFE

AND HE KNOWS HIS HOUSE

SAFE BRUV

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 01:07 PM
actually it doesnt mention any of the people that I mentioned only todd edwards

they need to add the following

MK is in the house - started garage
Kevin Saunderson (Inner City) is in the house - started techno
DJ Pierre is in the house - acid
Larry Levan is in the house - New York garage
Marshall Jefferson is in the house

well done Daft Punk

So you can only have one artist per genre? Awesome criteria.

Denying the Chems place in the history of EDM is just a joke.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 01:10 PM
So you can only have one artist per genre? Awesome criteria.

Denying the Chems place in the history of EDM is just a joke.

mate

I grew without listening to any chemical brothers

believe it or not but there is or was a massive underground scene

I don't remember Chemical Brothers getting their shit spinned on any pirate radio back in the day

that's all I'm saying - they never influenced any of the music I was listening to

4 Hero, FSOL who I don't like either, I will say they did, Mr Kirks Nightmare? that got cained all the time

Praise You? I didn't hear that tune from Fatboy last time I was at Slammin Vinyl to be honest, or a cool house lounge in London

that what i'm saying

and I'm just saying there's a few names DP left off

Larry Levan started garage FFS that's why it's called Garage, after the club he owned Paradise Garage

like ya know, just saying babe

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 01:11 PM
So you're saying because they don't influence the artists you listen to that they don't have a heavy influence in the history of EDM overall? Horse-shit.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
who did Chemical Brothers influence in todays dance music?

he probably influenced Armin van Burrin to sell the frick out and try and cash in as much as he can

maybe Fat Boy Slim and Moby got influenced in making TV advertisement music

hellmet
01-19-2011, 01:53 PM
In the end everything gets old, even Coachella. I would had been happy to pay for a PULP reunion.

Leeartlee
01-19-2011, 01:56 PM
In the end everything gets old, even Coachella. I would had been happy to pay for a PULP reunion.

Why is old bad? Glasto has been going on for 30+ years. That's as old as it gets. Doesn't make it bad.

Agism... fucking lame

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 02:15 PM
who did Chemical Brothers influence in todays dance music?

he probably influenced Armin van Burrin to sell the frick out and try and cash in as much as he can

maybe Fat Boy Slim and Moby got influenced in making TV advertisement music

Who cares about "selling out"? That is such a BS term nowadays anyway. Have you ever had a job where you are told what to do and get paid money doing it even though you didn't want to? If so, you must be a sell-out.

If you want the festival most devoid of sellouts then go to fucking Burning Man and shut up already.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Who cares about "selling out"? That is such a BS term nowadays anyway. Have you ever had a job where you are told what to do and get paid money doing it even though you didn't want to? If so, you must be a sell-out.

If you want the festival most devoid of sellouts then go to fucking Burning Man and shut up already.

fuck I dunno babe

Todd Edwards and Kniteforce records both release their music for free on their websites

there's an example of not selling out

and there music gets played in clubs and raves

Chem Bros don't

is it really hard to understand?

mmblack
01-19-2011, 02:36 PM
please watch the chem bros. on the polo fields friday night and then look me in the eyes and say you didn't enjoy it.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 02:46 PM
fuck yeah

I hate and despide Pendulum

but i still moshed to them in 08

feel a bit stupid moshing to drum and bass music tho

i just closed my ears and pretended they were minor threat

PotVsKtl
01-19-2011, 02:55 PM
fuck yeah

I hate and despide Pendulum

but i still moshed to them in 08

feel a bit stupid moshing to drum and bass music tho

i just closed my ears and pretended they were minor threat

Could you possibly shut the fuck up?

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 02:59 PM
fuck I dunno babe

Todd Edwards and Kniteforce records both release their music for free on their websites

there's an example of not selling out

and there music gets played in clubs and raves

Chem Bros don't

is it really hard to understand?

LOL, you have no idea what you are talking about.

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
LOL, you have no idea what you are talking about.

ROLF

GuyInTucson
01-19-2011, 03:04 PM
ROLF

No one plays The Chemical brothers huh?

Someone queue up the opening to 2ManyDJ's last year

JamesMills
01-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Every band sounds like they loved the 80's.

This is the most concise summary. It's perfectly true, unfortunately.

djandrews25
01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
The new chem bros was remixed and dropped by various djs and producers this summer.

grichsgang
01-19-2011, 03:28 PM
The headliners are underwhelming (at least to me) but dig deep and there are some serious gems in the smaller fonts, including Here We Go Magic, Warpaint, Scissor Sisters, Noew Pornographers, Cage the Elephant, Best Coast

LunaVC
01-19-2011, 03:30 PM
The new chem bros was remixed and dropped by various djs and producers this summer.

what's up buddy

what's the skinny?

are you stoked for paul van dyke and sasha?

PotVsKtl
01-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Ban.

djandrews25
01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
what's up buddy

what's the skinny?

are you stoked for paul van dyke and sasha?

I hate pvd, but sasha is going to destroy. I think you should research the lineup a bit before being so disappointed, but i agree that the headliners are more than lacking.

evasquez7
01-19-2011, 03:38 PM
bloody and boys noize are now live
they were dj set before

Can you explain to me how, exactly, Boys Noize set is going to be "live"?

venturas90sgirl
01-19-2011, 03:44 PM
I think it's a very strong lineup. Not the best headliners save for AF but the rest of the pack more than makes up for it.

And since its likely tha Chem Bros will be against Kings of Leon, no conflict there.

hellmet
01-19-2011, 04:03 PM
deja vu: less than stellar line up!

IlliniQ
01-19-2011, 04:20 PM
There are gonna be tons of bands that you'd never seek out if they weren't on this bill, which is a good thing. But maybe, just maybe have a lineup that reflects the 300 dollar pill we all have to swallow. ACL, Lolla, Bonnaroo, these festivals have better lineups for far less cost. I just think it's typical SoCal gouging. With that said, I am still going and will have a sh*t ton of fun, but I can see where people are coming from.

Lolla in particular, seems to be really kicking Coachella's ass the last couple years...not just headliners, but undercard.

How GV dropped on Janelle Monae this year is staggering.

How in three years since For Emma dropped they haven't been able to get Bon Iver over is truly staggering.

I like the 80s acts, but sometimes I think PT fetishizes that decade too much...he's got maybe 5 years left to get any of the still viable late 60s/70s names here before age makes it impossible...Neil Young, Stones, Kinks, Dylan, Springsteen, Mott The Hoople, Buffalo Springfield, Byrds, Lou Reed or Velvet Underground, Bowie, Stevie Wonder...these are all acts I would kill to see take that mainstage once at the polo field...and time is running out fast...so from that perspective, though I like a lot of the bands on the lineup...2011 is just a wasted opportunity in my eyes...not saying they didn't try to hook up some of these acts...just very sad to me that they didn't land a couple this year...cause outside of Sly, all the 60s acts I've seen at Coachella have killed...but maybe GV just thinks these acts are all Bonnaroo fodder...since so many of them have already played there.

WALRUS
01-19-2011, 04:40 PM

bloody beetroots AGAIN?

Boys Noize AGAIN?

but no Fake Blood? ok

FUCK YOU, THE LINE UP IS GREAT, DO YOUR OWN COACHELLA,

deeznutz
01-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Lolla in particular, seems to be really kicking Coachella's ass the last couple years...not just headliners, but undercard.

How GV dropped on Janelle Monae this year is staggering.

How in three years since For Emma dropped they haven't been able to get Bon Iver over is truly staggering.

I like the 80s acts, but sometimes I think PT fetishizes that decade too much...he's got maybe 5 years left to get any of the still viable late 60s/70s names here before age makes it impossible...Neil Young, Stones, Kinks, Dylan, Springsteen, Mott The Hoople, Buffalo Springfield, Byrds, Lou Reed or Velvet Underground, Bowie, Stevie Wonder...these are all acts I would kill to see take that mainstage once at the polo field...and time is running out fast...so from that perspective, though I like a lot of the bands on the lineup...2011 is just a wasted opportunity in my eyes...not saying they didn't try to hook up some of these acts...just very sad to me that they didn't land a couple this year...cause outside of Sly, all the 60s acts I've seen at Coachella have killed...but maybe GV just thinks these acts are all Bonnaroo fodder...since so many of them have already played there.

You realize Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) is in Gayngs right?

grannock
01-19-2011, 06:00 PM

All this year needs is a headliner that isn't boring as shit. I'm not flying 3000 miles to see Arcade Fire and The Strokes, sorry, they have only gotten worse since they were billed as sub-headliners years ago.

Baily99
01-19-2011, 06:15 PM
All this year needs is a headliner that isn't boring as shit. I'm not flying 3000 miles to see Arcade Fire and The Strokes, sorry, they have only gotten worse since they were billed as sub-headliners years ago.

I live in Indio, 3 miles from the festival...and the feeling around here is the same.

GV failed to hit any 'wow' factor and they are unlikely to hit a sell out with the current lineup.

Most of the people that aren't music die hards....as many here are...said....'I'm not going if that's the lineup.'

We are going...we even buy extra tickets to give to friends. We offered them to a couple who went last year...they said, 'Na' we'll pass.'

I think many have the same feeling that they aren't going to spend the money just for the sake of a festival.

I'm truly shocked that after selling out last year in a down economy that they didn't go after something much bigger. We know the $ is there...why they didn't pay the $ to try to get a true headline band....

Pearl Jam

Who

White Stripes (would have been big enough to blow the festival to WOW)

I won't understand. I think when they start seeing the lack of ticket sales....they'll pull something from the hat of 'WoW!'

Either way....AF ...KOL and Taylor Swifts bitch as the main act is boring IMO.

ratscratch
01-19-2011, 06:42 PM
The headliners are underwhelming (at least to me) but dig deep and there are some serious gems in the smaller fonts, including Here We Go Magic, Warpaint, Scissor Sisters, Noew Pornographers, Cage the Elephant, Best Coast

that

ragingdave
01-19-2011, 06:45 PM
http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/files/2009/07/thefonz-300x232.jpg

Electrotek
01-20-2011, 01:14 PM
In fact if you said Prodigy defined modern dance music that would make more sense. What the hell were Chemical Brothers doing in 1992? Nothing. You may as well say Happy Clappers and Ce Ce Penniston defined dubstep and electro FFS.

1992?

Ever heard of Song to the Siren?

pAniGiYVqOo

HandBanana
01-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Since there is no comma in the headline, am I to believe that the lineup is a cock-crazed slut?

Mucho Maas
01-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Since there is no comma in the headline, am I to believe that the lineup is a cock-crazed slut?

classic.

Bons222000
01-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Ugh, as usual there is a contingent of people who are complaining about the lineup. Happens every year. Last year everyone was complaining that the "headliners were bad" and now this year it's "the headliners are bad, last year's were better". And I love how everyone complains that there is too muhc "geezer rock" and "mainstream acts" then when we get a lineup that has no geezer rock and few mainstream acts outside KoL and Kanye everyone complains there aren't enough "big" bands to see and no "legends".

If you honestly believe the Who is better than any of these headliners right now you haven't seen the Who play in 10 years.

And if you want to face facts, the last two big important albums released in the US were by Kanye West and Arcade Fire, so the two most "now" acts that could be there are.

GuyInTucson
01-20-2011, 01:36 PM
I live in Indio, 3 miles from the festival...and the feeling around here is the same.

GV failed to hit any 'wow' factor and they are unlikely to hit a sell out with the current lineup.

Most of the people that aren't music die hards....as many here are...said....'I'm not going if that's the lineup.'

We are going...we even buy extra tickets to give to friends. We offered them to a couple who went last year...they said, 'Na' we'll pass.'

I think many have the same feeling that they aren't going to spend the money just for the sake of a festival.

I'm truly shocked that after selling out last year in a down economy that they didn't go after something much bigger. We know the $ is there...why they didn't pay the $ to try to get a true headline band....

Pearl Jam

Who

I won't understand. I think when they start seeing the lack of ticket sales....they'll pull something from the hat of 'WoW!'

Anyone who lives in Indio, loves music and passes on a free Coachella ticket, is 100 % undeniably stupid.

LunaVC
01-20-2011, 01:58 PM
says the man from a small village in Chile

Rarebreed
01-20-2011, 04:09 PM
thing about KOL - they were HUGE like a year or two ago

so i respect that

but it doesn't matter how much Coachella try to ram Gogol Bordello down my throat I will not like them

stop booking them!

Well some one had to take TiŽsto's place. haha

Yeah, I remember KOL opening up for RHCP, They are an opening band...

Ardentbiscuit
01-20-2011, 04:13 PM
I can't take these threads too seriously because every year no matter who's playing people complain about the line up. It's not like you're under contract to attend. If you think it sucks or your festival you attend every year is better then I suggest going to that.

thedevious
01-20-2011, 04:28 PM
I realize it's a matter of opinion but, I also believe this lineup to be shit. I didn't attend in 09 for the same reason and this year is worse than 09 so...

I understand AF or KOL being there in headliner spots(even though Suburbia is fucking garbage and KOL have always sucked)but, it should have been one or the other. The state of the Sahara is really sad as well, most of the good acts are at the pure filth stage.

2010 was so fucking perfect, this makes me more sad than angry. Guess I finally get to take that trip to Europe, just gotta choose a festival.

le cab
01-20-2011, 04:37 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfcmocv0as1qfdr1vo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1295659672&Signature=4p%2BiXyTV4d%2Fbc92vW4qJo2mGZEM%3D

fixed.

thedevious
01-20-2011, 04:44 PM
^ Getting there :P

evasquez7
01-20-2011, 04:49 PM

I think its because you live in Indio.

weezy f baby
01-20-2011, 04:54 PM
http://files.sharenator.com/haters_RE_Haters_Gonna_Hate-s526x350-62877-580.jpg

WhyTheLongFace
01-20-2011, 04:56 PM

/thread

People are just picky.

BrickTop24
01-20-2011, 05:09 PM
i actually like a lot of the acts playing this year but the headliners are pretty shitty. Well the Arcade Fire will be fun to watch but kings of leon and kanye west are weak headliners in my opinion

TheScenestar
01-20-2011, 05:15 PM
"Shitty headliners" = less conflicts. Just don't go to the main stage. EASY.

BrickTop24
01-20-2011, 05:20 PM
well ill see the main stage if there's anyone i want to see that's on the line up but coachella is not what it used to be. with shitty headliners comes more corporate sponsorship, less art work, higher ticket prices, and kroq's bullshit stamp of approval. i still want to see alot of the acts playing but its not what it used to be.

McFearless
01-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Anyone else notice that YACHT was added?

Leeartlee
01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
I usually visit the main stage for maybe three acts in a weekend. This Coachella it appears to be no different.

zajaa
01-20-2011, 05:42 PM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/6/66385/1429754-1253930_this_thread_again_super_super.jpg

Harrisment
01-20-2011, 06:00 PM
I understand AF or KOL being there in headliner spots(even though Suburbia is fucking garbage and KOL have always sucked)

Yeah that Suburbia album is just awful.

WhyTheLongFace
01-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Anyone else notice that YACHT was added?

They've been there. Just changed days and capitalize all the letters of the name.

newnostalgia
01-20-2011, 06:47 PM
I think The lineup is ok, i mean it's not the worst festival in the world now... it's just that headliners are abolutely terrible and there is hardly any rock 'n roll... it seems like it's been taken over by boybands with guitars and what need is there for Duran Duran to be at coachella? if u weren't around in the 80's u basically don't care.. no offense to these guys, i just think they'd fit better on their own tour doing their own shows. That money could have been paid to Neil Young and i wouldn't have bitched one bit. I think there is just no Wow factor, it's all so bland. give us Dr. dre or The white stripes and all will be forgiven.

Bons222000
01-20-2011, 07:37 PM
The more I look at the lineup the more I like it. The Sahara lineup is sweet, and a lot of the smaller bands are bands I'd never see on their own show so it's nice I'll get to see them that weekend (like one day as a lion).

Arcade Fire and Kanye released the last two critically-adored albums. AF is going to destroy. The strokes, Animal Collective, the black keys....I'm stoked.

MissingPerson
01-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Yeah that Suburbia album is just awful.

I like that Funeral song they played in '07 though.

halyem
01-20-2011, 08:15 PM
before the lineup i was let down that i wasnt gonna be able to make it this year (wedding)

after the lineup, i am relieved.

the sahara DOES in fact have it going on though. so i am making up for it by going to ultra.

I'dDoItAllAgain
01-20-2011, 08:19 PM
ROLF
Rolling On... the Laughing Floor?

rocanlover
01-20-2011, 08:47 PM

Wow I actually read the whole thing!
You make quite some sence there~

halyem
01-20-2011, 08:50 PM
its a shitty lineup, but when i look back on how many bands i saw each day, theres still enough at this fest that you could see awesome acts half of each day and skip the shitty ones.

whats really gonna make or break this already weak lineup is how the schedule the bands.

FEELS
01-20-2011, 08:51 PM

Pearl Jam

Who

yeah i live near indio too, and it's because people out here have a close-minded and shitty take on music
i mean i hate kings of leon so i'm not going to see them
but there's still a lot of other great bands
i'm just getting tired of people around here saying they only want tiesto to be back and that scrillex is the only good act this year

Justin170
01-20-2011, 08:52 PM
I agree Milos. I will be there of course and have a blast, but definitely the worst headliners ever.

boyalien0
01-20-2011, 09:01 PM
line up is spectacular guys

rocanlover
01-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Feels> Palm Desert is NOT 3miles from Indio....Just Sayin.

Either way everyone is going to be to high,drunk,naked,heat exhausted,texting, to notice if a band sucks!
Rock on~~

FEELS
01-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Feels> Palm Desert is NOT 3miles from Indio....Just Sayin.

Either way everyone is going to be to high,drunk,naked,heat exhausted,texting, to notice if a band sucks!
Rock on~~

never said it was, it's like 5-10

rocanlover
01-20-2011, 09:46 PM
never said it was, it's like 5-10

but your location says PD,you lie.Not that I care though.

farglesnuff
01-20-2011, 10:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=pWdd6_ZxX8c