PDA

View Full Version : The Radio Dept.

TickleMeElmo
01-18-2011, 10:46 PM
I can't be the only one ecstatic about this one.

OnlyNonStranger
01-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I'll watch them.

Courtney
01-18-2011, 11:52 PM
The Radio Dept is the best thing about the lineup.

citizenerased
01-18-2011, 11:52 PM
It will be blissful.

marleybooger
01-18-2011, 11:53 PM
my thread worked from months ago!

THANK YOU PAUL.
thank you soooo fucking much.

mistakenstrangers
01-18-2011, 11:54 PM
I was thinking this may happen but kind of didn't think so since their tour's are so minimal and all over the place.

This is going to be THE coachella set you won't want to miss.

Mr.Trent
01-19-2011, 06:36 AM
I swear this is better than Christmas, too bad their sets are highly unpredictable...

Dalen
01-19-2011, 07:02 AM
The Radio Dept is the best thing about the lineup.

agreed! CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!

Mr.Trent
01-20-2011, 08:24 AM
one of my personal favorites by them:

rFMmAJzJsIc

jamesc2929
01-20-2011, 04:55 PM
They are quickly becoming one I won't miss, and based on this intro i will go see them in Brooklyn.

LunaVC
01-20-2011, 04:56 PM
MIGHT CHECK EM OUT

PUT IT ON MY LIST

DaFunkyPrecedent
01-20-2011, 05:01 PM
They have a cult following over sea's, and for a very good reason - they're an amazing band! and even more amazing LIVE.

Mr.Trent
01-21-2011, 10:23 PM
their vinyl LP's are such rarities, they're at high prices if you do come across one.. ebay has Pet Grief going for 90 bucks and counting

jpitts
01-21-2011, 10:24 PM
I got super excited when i heard their new album and bought tickets to see them locally. Then the lineup came out and it turns out they're playing coachella too! Guess I get to see them twice

GregSpeakEasy
01-23-2011, 05:40 PM
yes!

travelfan
01-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Love these guys, so happy to see them on the lineup. Hoping for a really mellow daytime set with a little beer buzz...that would be a perfect vibe.

Stefachink
01-23-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm super excited to see them as well. Been waiting for them to pop up on the lineup again for 4 years now and it finally happened! Their set will be just magical; such a solid band. The way their music sounds could just make me collapse. I can't really describe the feeling. I think it's his voice. And how the melodies are carried throughout the songs. Ugh. :pulse

76ULJDimqKc

sonnyboy11
01-23-2011, 06:10 PM
I like what I am hearing here. First blush is a little Church, a little Chapterhouse, some Spiritualized, hell even some Ride vibe. This one is a must see for me.

sleepybrew
01-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Nice! Really enjoying these guys. I'd like to lay on that beautiful Coachella grass, stare at the sky and drift away :)

Mr.Trent
01-23-2011, 07:44 PM
It would be so awesome to have them at sunset.. but they will probably be on slightly before that.. oh well

7iiV8N__5Tg

WhyTheLongFace
01-23-2011, 08:03 PM
I've loved every song I've heard so far

hobomilitia
01-23-2011, 09:46 PM
heaven on fire. can't wait for this.

TheMadeleine
01-24-2011, 11:00 PM
I have been crossing my fingers for this since last year! The Radio Dept is THE deciding factor for me attending Coachella this year.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A1aT8fNBts8

*sigh* Is there anything better?

Stefachink
01-25-2011, 02:58 AM
Man, I was stuck on that Where Damage Isn't Already Done track for a really long time. It's still one of my all-time favorites though. Always thought the video was so charming even though it's super low quality.

GeezrRckr
02-16-2011, 10:49 AM
i hate to be the bearer of bad news - especially since their last album was a 2010 favorite of mine - but they are absolutely awful, horrible, CRAP live.

saw them last night and left after 5 songs...it was that bad. i NEVER leave shows early...even if i'm not feeling the set. if you want more details, check the Upcoming Shows thread for more about their live set (i wasn't the only one who felt compelled to exclaim their shittiness).

bottom line...don't waste your time/money seeing these guys live. such a shame.

(now i know why they tour so infrequently)

rage patton
02-16-2011, 12:34 PM
I have heard from a number of people that this band is just terrible live, too. Shame. One less conflict to worry about I guess.

nahuatldream
02-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Love, Love, Love! their music. Hopefully they are good, live, unlike some reports here.

GeezrRckr
02-16-2011, 12:48 PM
you have more hope of meeting Santa Claus.

sometimes this board is full of wind bags, other times it's the best music resource on the web. i assure you that in this case, the latter holds true. you've been warned.

WhyTheLongFace
02-16-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm a still check them out at Coach. But I won free tickets tonight and was debating anyway. Thanks for saving me gas money GeezrRckr

mofomofo
02-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Saw them at El Rey last night. They are a new band for me, only started learning about them with Coachella. They aren't great live, but not terrible either. Definitely think their albums are more enjoyable than they are live.

They have a fest ready set - only played for about 50 minutes or hour at most. A ripoff for a full show, but perfect for Coachella.

They use a drum machine (actually plays full backing tracks off their albums) which was a little disappointing - mostly because I just didn't expect it, but it also saps the set of energy. Keyboard player goes over to computer, hits play, goes back to playing simple chords while twisting knobs on his synth.

And yeah they are 3 uncharismatic swedes (two with sensible mustaches), who most of the time hardly look like they are playing their instruments, plodding through a set.

Good as a nice 2pm sunny "ah I'm back for Day 2 of Coachella, let's start the day off mellow" set? Yes. Will I be looking to see who else is playing during them? Yes.

shotglass75
02-17-2011, 06:36 PM
I agree with ^ Saw them last week in Chicago. Really put on a boring show to be honest with ya. They could use a live drummer. The drum machine sounded flat and the band just stood there. That takes care of one possible conflict.

jpitts
02-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Yup.. saw them last weekend and it was extremely boring. No lights (could have been the venue), drum machine, sounded like they just played the studio version without lyrics and sang to it....

Disappointment indeed, but it's one less conflict I have to worry about

raymakesmerch
02-18-2011, 09:06 PM
@ Ticklemeelmo,

We'll be on the rails with you brother!

Mr.Trent
02-20-2011, 04:12 PM
obviously you guys don't know what shoegazing consists of nor what to expect at a live shoegaze show (even if they're more like dream pop but w/e)

While their live performance is definitely not what some would call interactive to put it in some way, it is perfect for this kind of music. I don't go to see them to be blown away by the live production of the show but to connect with the emotions that are transmitted through the lyrics and the intimacy of it all.

Last night I got to see them in Mexico City and let me tell you one thing friends, it was fucking amazing because the crowd made it so, the place was a small venue just like the one they've been in this tour so that wasn't different, but no one was complaining at their shoegazing-type of performance, tracks like David, Heaven's on Fire and Never Follow Suit really got everyone dancing and it was perfect. The even said that this was the best show they ever had, so it's not them, is us, the fans, which make it a good show if we know how to dance instead of just standing there and expecting the band to blow us away.

So I'll be there railing for this as well, rant over. Radio Dept. FTW

P.S. we even got our cd's signed and took a picture with them at the end:Dhttp://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bernhl/P1090980-1.jpg

sonnyboy11
02-20-2011, 10:03 PM
I agree with ^ Saw them last week in Chicago. Really put on a boring show to be honest with ya. They could use a live drummer. The drum machine sounded flat and the band just stood there. That takes care of one possible conflict.

I dunno- always dug bands that just stared at their shoes with a drum machine going. Maybe it's just me...

TheMadeleine
02-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Hmm interesting. On one hand, thanks to some of these comments I will keep my excitement in check & not expect a particularly outgoing performance. One the other hand, thanks to Mr. Trent + Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing) now I think I will "get it" a lot more and thoroughly enjoy their performance!

***fingers crossed for Pulling Our Weight, Ewan, City Lights, & I Wanted You to Feel the Same***

GeezrRckr
02-22-2011, 01:40 AM
whatever...if you think that's shoegaze then you're really fucking desperate. there is so much better (read:real) shoegaze out there right now. (and, all of them actually have a fucking real drummer)

go right ahead and waste the 40 minutes. you're better off getting Spicy Pie than to sit through that crap. let me reiterate...i am not hating on Radio Dept's studio work; it is solid. but, seeing them hack that shit up live has tainted it. there's a reason why they have barely toured during their 10-yr career.

they blow.

guedita
02-22-2011, 01:43 AM
Hmm interesting. On one hand, thanks to some of these comments I will keep my excitement in check & not expect a particularly outgoing performance. One the other hand, thanks to Mr. Trent + Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing) now I think I will "get it" a lot more and thoroughly enjoy their performance!

***fingers crossed for Pulling Our Weight, Ewan, City Lights, & I Wanted You to Feel the Same***

What, and who, and why?

shermanoaksyo
04-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Love the albums but all of these bad live reviews make me wary.

Stefachink
04-13-2011, 02:42 AM
I don't go to see them to be blown away by the live production of the show but to connect with the emotions that are transmitted through the lyrics and the intimacy of it all.

THIS!!

the goat
04-13-2011, 04:57 AM
I will definitely be doin' the Gobi-Mojave two-step on Saturday between Foals, Radio Dept, Two Door Cinema Club (likely only a couple songs), and Glasser!

mistakenstrangers
02-04-2012, 04:11 PM
I want to do this over again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3LrGiixmBI

Cameron Frye
02-05-2012, 06:00 AM
GREAT BAND, love their dreamy sound. i'm surprised Clinging To A Scene didn't make more waves in the nyc area back in 2010.

they remind me of a border here, even though said person prbly doesn't listen to this band.