PDA

View Full Version : The Creators Project = Intel + Vice

mofomofo
01-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Unholy alliance and another way for Coachella to sell out (by unloading part or all of the art budget to a named sponsor), or breath of fresh air after years of Burning Man-sourced art?

At first I felt the former, then the trailer (http://media.thecreatorsproject.com/) had me thinking the latter.

Does this mean no more Do Lab, Tesla Coils and much less fire? Can we still get Bliss Dance and her bodacious curves?

Richie Hawtin is listed under artists - are these the people behind the Plastikman iPhone app failure? Will the ambition be so huge that glitches will abound?

Is this the future of corporate festival sponsorship - melding much more seamlessly than Heineken dome silent discos and AT&T recharge tents?

AbundantChoice
01-19-2011, 06:15 AM
I'm actually optimistic. As much as i've loved most of the art partners in the past, they were getting a little "same-y". Hopefully some new creative blood will mix things up a little. I also think The Creators Project is less of an actual specific group of artists who work together as a team, and more of a banner that different artists work under (and get sponsored by). So there still might be a lot of variety.

But one way or another, this means we should be getting some interesting projection mapping work. And they say on their site they're going to reveal some of the Coachella art projects in February.

CellarOwl
01-19-2011, 06:26 AM
It won't be perfect the first year, if anything I think it's a bit of both but I'm pretty interested to see what comes.

chairmenmeow47
01-19-2011, 11:30 AM
i think this sounds really interesting. based on the artists listed here (http://www.coachella.com/tcp), i wonder if we'll get some multimedia performances. i'm really excited to see the art this year. glad to see a new approach, i hope it works out. but no ritchie hawtin on that link.

mofomofo
01-19-2011, 11:45 AM
This is the Richie Hawtin link. (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/creators/richie-hawtin)

My point is whether the Creators Project had something to do with his light show and complimentary iPhone app from his Plastikman set last year. The light show was cool, but the app was supposed to allow the audience to interact/influence the lights and maybe even music in subtle ways (in the interview on the above link you he says he really wants to tap into every individual in the audience). It was supposed to be some "next level" sh!t but it pretty much failed.

chairmenmeow47
01-19-2011, 11:47 AM
cool, thanks for the link. wasn't his lighting guy stranded last year as a result of the volcano?

Aphxtwinin
01-19-2011, 11:50 AM
in the trailer for the creators project i saw some clips of 3D building projections, imagine this stuff on the tents and various positions throughout the festival...
QCN34hzlqv8

mattpach
01-19-2011, 11:53 AM
This is the Richie Hawtin link. (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/creators/richie-hawtin)

My point is whether the Creators Project had something to do with his light show and complimentary iPhone app from his Plastikman set last year. The light show was cool, but the app was supposed to allow the audience to interact/influence the lights and maybe even music in subtle ways (in the interview on the above link you he says he really wants to tap into every individual in the audience). It was supposed to be some "next level" sh!t but it pretty much failed.
The iPhone app actually worked for about 3/4 of the set however there wasn't enough people using it to see and hear the effects. At one of his other shows the audience was able to over ride what he was doing on stage and create a wall of sound at certain moments. Plus it was one of the first Plastikman shows.

cool, thanks for the link. wasn't his lighting guy stranded last year as a result of the volcano?
Yes he was.

shotglass75
01-19-2011, 01:08 PM
I could see them doing something fierce with The Chemical Brothers on the main stage after KOL.

The Creators Project Announces a Creative Partnership with Coachella

by The Creators Project Staff January 19, 2011

We couldn’t be more thrilled to announce that this year we’ll be kicking off 2011 at the Coachella Music and Arts Festival. Coachella has been one of our favorite festivals for years, a must-attend musical celebration of epic proportions. So many legendary concert moments have taken place here—that night Daft Punk unveiled their glowing pyramid, that year they let us see The Pixies, Radiohead and Kraftwerk back to back, the sunset performance that helped turn Arcade Fire into a household name, and unforgettable sets from Prince, Morissey, The Cure, Pavement, My Bloody Valentine, Portishead and so many more.

And now we’re going to be a part of it.

As Coachella’s creative partner, we’ll be collaborating with this seminal festival to re-imagine the festival experience for the next generation. We’re teaming up with select headlining acts from this year’s festival lineup (see the recently released list of performers here) to create new works of art, curating a series of major art installations on the festival grounds, and bringing several of our favorite international musical acts to perform on the Coachella stage for the first time, including: Emicida, EE, and New Pants.

By incorporating cutting edge technology and stunning visual art into the Coachella experience, we hope to add a new layer of creative interpretation to musical expression, as well as bring fans even closer to the music. How will we do that, you ask? Well, we can’t reveal everything just yet, but stay tuned for a HUGE announcement on February 16th where we will unveil details on the artworks and collaborations.

In the meantime, visit the Coachella website for more info and mark April 15-17 on your calendars because this is going to be epicly legendary!

mofomofo
01-19-2011, 04:23 PM
The iPhone app actually worked for about 3/4 of the set however there wasn't enough people using it to see and hear the effects. At one of his other shows the audience was able to over ride what he was doing on stage and create a wall of sound at certain moments. Plus it was one of the first Plastikman shows.

Huh well I bailed before the very end for Gorillaz, but basically I could get on before the set and see the track/beat counter thing, then shortly before it started I got kicked off. Couldn't get back on pretty much the rest of the time I was there (I think it kicked in briefly but no interaction stuff worked). Friends and people around me were having the same trouble.

Anyway, if this is the type of stuff they try to do this year and it works, that would be fantastic.

involvelemons
01-19-2011, 04:32 PM
i think this sounds really interesting. based on the artists listed here (http://www.coachella.com/tcp), i wonder if we'll get some multimedia performances. i'm really excited to see the art this year. glad to see a new approach, i hope it works out. but no ritchie hawtin on that link.

I'm all for this. Has anyone watched that VBS.tv show called Open Source about people who create electronic instruments? Looks pretty rad.

involvelemons
01-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Oh, Durr, it's not called Open Source. It's called Motherboard. I'm just makin' shit up, now.

involvelemons
01-19-2011, 05:10 PM
For a third post...

Go check out EE, the Korean performance art/electronic duo that Vice are bringing as part of this whole deal. Shit is insane. I think these three Creators Project bands are going to be some of the coolest shit at the festival this year.

tarrivi
02-10-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm curious to hear what this announcement is.

summerkid
02-14-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm curious to hear what this announcement is.

What announcement?

digitaldragon03
02-14-2011, 09:54 PM
The one in the press release...

Well, we can’t reveal everything just yet, but stay tuned for a HUGE announcement on February 16th where we will unveil details on the artworks and collaborations.

Aphxtwinin
02-16-2011, 09:47 AM
SOOOOOOOOOOOO............wheres this HUGE announcement

NachoCat
02-16-2011, 10:28 AM
SOOOOOOOOOOOO............wheres this HUGE announcement

The Suburbs are playing at the dolab

Distorted_Jungle
02-16-2011, 11:22 AM
It appears that Boys Noize is also one of their artists, we shall see if that turns into anything.

COACHILLA
02-16-2011, 02:14 PM
wheres this big fikcing announcemnt

Trick Loves The Kids
02-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Here's the big announcement:

Woof i'm a dog :D

Aphxtwinin
02-16-2011, 02:37 PM
they just got back to my inquiry and now its the 23rd

bobchella
02-16-2011, 02:40 PM
the announcement?

Coachella Bound
02-16-2011, 02:45 PM
another week.... meh.

i do like how it says 'The Creators Project will be collaborating with select headlining acts'

so its gunna be something worth waiting for....

thewoodenman
02-16-2011, 03:01 PM
meh indeed

Aphxtwinin
02-16-2011, 03:07 PM
the announcement?

yes

oasis4life2002
02-22-2011, 05:43 PM
they just got back to my inquiry and now its the 23rd

So is anything being announced tomorrow?

Aphxtwinin
02-22-2011, 05:45 PM
is it the 23rd? i dunno, we will see tomorrow

aaronbk
02-23-2011, 09:52 AM
where is it?

Coachella Bound
02-23-2011, 12:14 PM
The Studio launches at Coachella

Last month we announced our creative partnership with Coachella, one of our favorite music festivals. We told you more information would be coming, and while we can’t reveal all the juicy details just yet, we can tell you that the first set of works from The Studio will premiere this April at Coachella.

We are partnering with headlining acts like Interpol and Animal Collective (who will be working with Black Dice) to create a new visual experience to match their live sets.

Returning creators and masters of light technology, United Visual Artists (UVA), are redesigning Coachella’s main stage to create a dynamic canvas for musical performance. We’re also partnering with esteemed UK film director Jonathan Glazer and UK band Spiritualized to produce an experimental light and sound installation.

And this is only the beginning. We’ll be releasing more details about the projects we’re bringing to Coachella, exclusive interviews, photos and videos, as well as insights into the creative process behind these monumental works, as the countdown to the festival ticks away.

Select artwork from Coachella, along with additional work from The Studio, will then travel the world as part of The Creators Project international event series.

Find out more about our creative partnership with Coachella here.

guedita
02-23-2011, 12:15 PM
The big announcement was an announcement about other upcoming announcements?

Coachella Bound
02-23-2011, 12:19 PM
yeah, kinda looks that way.... but it does mention they'll be collaborating w/ interpol and animal collective so that's enticing.

chairmenmeow47
02-23-2011, 12:21 PM
FUCK YEAH to interpol. i wonder if that also hints that they will be on the main stage.

Coachella Bound
02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
also if you go and 'like' their fbook page its an opportunity to win tickets....

http://www.facebook.com/thecreatorsproject?sk=app_203867122960816

WhyTheLongFace
02-23-2011, 12:28 PM
oh yay Animal Collective

Aurgasm
02-23-2011, 12:34 PM

Yes he was.

yea... I had a blast with my iPhone app at both U.S. gigs. It definitely worked better at DEMF and I did get a 20 second period where i was able to fuck around with the cage graphics. good times

clumsy342
02-23-2011, 12:35 PM
YES! I hope Animal Collective's show is fucking awesome.
so glad to hear this.

blackchango
02-23-2011, 12:37 PM
The Studio launches at Coachella

Last month we announced our creative partnership with Coachella, one of our favorite music festivals. We told you more information would be coming, and while we can’t reveal all the juicy details just yet, we can tell you that the first set of works from The Studio will premiere this April at Coachella.

We are partnering with headlining acts like Interpol and Animal Collective (who will be working with Black Dice) to create a new visual experience to match their live sets.

Returning creators and masters of light technology, United Visual Artists (UVA), are redesigning Coachella’s main stage to create a dynamic canvas for musical performance. We’re also partnering with esteemed UK film director Jonathan Glazer and UK band Spiritualized to produce an experimental light and sound installation.

And this is only the beginning. We’ll be releasing more details about the projects we’re bringing to Coachella, exclusive interviews, photos and videos, as well as insights into the creative process behind these monumental works, as the countdown to the festival ticks away.

Select artwork from Coachella, along with additional work from The Studio, will then travel the world as part of The Creators Project international event series.

Find out more about our creative partnership with Coachella here.

So I wonder if Spiritualized is gonna be there or if it's gonna be some kind of pre recorded thing.

digitaldragon03
02-23-2011, 01:23 PM
The main stage sounds like its going to be awesome.

Coachella Bound
02-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Interpol discussing Interpol - via Creators Project

http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/creators/interpol#ooid=Fna3cxMjqDWdYAy1zfZ1DahKKuAoyjbe

yeahfontaine
02-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Crazy that Carlos bailed just when Interpol was apparently about to embark on a film/visualization adventure alongside their musical work. He left mainly to concentrate on film, no? I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but all of this sounds like he would be way into it. Shame.

Gribbz
02-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Why did they choose Interpol?

guedita
02-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Because Interpol needs all the help they can get to be even mildly entertaining to watch

BAM!

citizenerased
02-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Boom roasted

unknown
02-26-2011, 09:45 AM
This from the new thread needs to be here if this is the thread to be used. This looks so fucking awesome. I cannot wait to see what Coachella has in store for us this year!

This just needs to be seen. Info regarding the Coachella set ups at around the 11 minute mark.

"This year they're re-designing the main stage."

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm159/spinalbeatz/screen-capture-7.png

Woa.

http://media.thecreatorsproject.com/videos/the_creators_project_ny_press_conference

citizenerased
02-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Animal Collective gonna be crazy.

Krash_Kronic
02-26-2011, 10:00 AM
that looks unreal. its going to be amazing!

digitaldragon03
02-26-2011, 10:07 AM
A cube that opens and closes? Etienne De AWESOME Main Stage?

aaronbk
02-26-2011, 01:55 PM
this all leads me to believe that the chems may just be on the main...

beeerplease
02-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Why only Animal Collective and Interpol. I just may potentially, most-likely, probably NOT attend those sets....

ficklecycle
02-26-2011, 03:07 PM
this all leads me to believe that the chems may just be on the main...

"NO IT MUST BE IN THE SAHARA FOR MAXIMUM PLUR!!!"

:rolleyes

Gribbz
02-26-2011, 03:23 PM
So, you guys neglected the part about the new design for the Sahara?

bobert
02-26-2011, 03:36 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. This whole thing makes me really excited. I'm a sucker for bright, shiny lights.

Kyliediscope
02-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Big things.

unknown
02-26-2011, 04:01 PM

I'm really excited for it but there's no awesome image of what it may be. The installation they showed in that video when talking about it looks a lot like cubatron. I laughed when they said something about being in there at 3am. OMG what does that mean???

ficklecycle
02-26-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm really excited for it but there's no awesome image of what it may be. The installation they showed in that video when talking about it looks a lot like cubatron. I laughed when they said something about being in there at 3am. OMG what does that mean???

It means that guy has never been to Coachella. :nono

furnace
02-26-2011, 04:30 PM
The Sahara is going to be a mind melter.

Gribbz
02-26-2011, 04:56 PM

Dude likes to party.

The Sahara is going to be a mind melter.

This.

Grant
02-26-2011, 04:56 PM
So upset that I won't get to experience this with all of you.

thewoodenman
02-26-2011, 06:23 PM
that cube stage set up is so sweet

PlayaDelWes
02-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Can't wait.
http://www.aluminiumscaffold.net/wp-content/themes/thesis_17/custom/rotator/scaffolding%20header.jpg

Bwilliamson30
02-26-2011, 09:01 PM
^ haha, i was thinking the same thing

M Sparks
02-26-2011, 10:40 PM
So, I was thinking it will be weird having this crazy stage setup at Stagecoach, and then I found this...

http://stagecoachfestival.com/images/venuemap11.jpg

So I guess it will be taken down afterward. I'm assuming the metal show will be set up this way too.

thefrush
02-26-2011, 11:04 PM
'Mane' Stage? Really?

clumsy342
02-27-2011, 09:56 AM
here's another article. (http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2011/02/23/the-creators-project-dramatically-expands-in-2011-launches-major-studio-to-produce-worlds-leading-artists)

pretty much all the same info.
but a couple details worth mentioning:
"The Studio will also work with returning Creators United Visual Artists (UK) to redesign Coachella’s main stage. Using a combination of integrated lighting technologies, UVA's iconic sculpture will unfold, reveal and evolve over the three days, creating a dynamic canvas for live performances."

and just to put those Spiritualized rumors to bed (if they haven't been already):
"The Studio will partner ... Spiritualized to produce an experimental light and sound installation. The piece, titled "Meet Me in the Chorus," is part of The Studio's collection of highly advanced art installations on Coachella’s grounds."

digitaldragon03
02-27-2011, 01:36 PM
These are the guys, UVA, designing the main stage.

http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/en-uk/creators/united-visual-artists

clumsy342
02-27-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm so excited to see all of this. It seems like they are going to blow people's minds.

chopperdave934
03-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Looking back at the past couple Stagecoach maps and it's pretty clear they're just reusing the same template. Granted they could have changed it to update it, but I feel like the Pure Filth expansion sounds less temporary than that if they're putting in grass and everything. We'll see.

mofomofo
03-07-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm excited my lurker-generated thread has survived, almost as excited as I am about this new info about the Creators Project.

I am decidedly on the optimistic/excited side of the fence now, but I do hope they leave room for some BM (or BM-esque) art. People need large-scale metal and fire as much as they need lightshows! For instance, Serpent Mother a few years back was pretty much a nightly campfire providing a nice respite.

suprefan
04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/de/blog/boys-noize-a-must-see-dj-set-at-coachella-2011

http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/creators/boys-noize

Sexecutioner
04-06-2011, 01:10 PM
http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/creators/interpol

Coachella Bound
04-07-2011, 08:09 AM
looks like Arcade Fire will also be collaborating w/ the Creators Project as well... not to mention collabs in the Sahara as well.

The most prominent addition is the skeleton of the main stage. Designed and operated by British design team United Visual Artists (which has constructed sets for U2 and Massive Attack), the stage has accommodated ambitious live-show sets before - just ask whoever found Roger Waters' inflatable pig in their yard in 2008. But UVA's set makes the stage itself into a spectacle.

The stage will be constructed with a cube of controllable lights, with two wings that retract to open the front of the stage. Between sets, it will glow and shift patterns like a monolithic Rubik's Cube, programmed by the designer and Warp Records recording artist Mira Calix. During sets, UVA will deploy its in-house software to control light effects that add depth and effect to a band's stage presence.

"It's important to have a moment when the stage takes on a personality," said Matt Clark, founder and creative director of UVA. "Hopefully it can be iconic but still be modular and allow the bands to show their own personalities as well."

Top-billed acts including Arcade Fire, Interpol and Animal Collective, however, have incorporated their own lighting designs into UVA's modular stage. Interpol's Friday set will be the first to use a band's master-concept in the rig, and Animal Collective enlisted its experimental-noise peers Black Dice to direct a found-footage montage using UVA's modules to play with the idea of a stadium's Jumbotron. Arcade Fire's Saturday night headlining set will climax in a UVA collaboration with director Chris Milk, who oversaw the band's childhood-nostalgia Web video, "The Wilderness Downtown."

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2011/apr/07/bc-mus-coachella-adv10la-_-entertainment/?entertainment&national-entertainment

heyeric
04-07-2011, 08:22 AM
the wilderness downtown is such a trip with google earth. awesome to see arcade fire taking advantage of UVA/Creators Project & Intel being apart of visual displays this year.

mofomofo
04-07-2011, 08:28 AM
So sick. My curiosity and skepticism from my OP is now full blown pavlovian slobber.

digitaldragon03
04-07-2011, 11:58 AM
The man designing the Sahara also designed this club.

YAhff1av9cI

WhyTheLongFace
04-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Am I late on this?

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-ca-0406-coachella-038.jpg-20110410,0,3456976.photo

chickonmytip
04-07-2011, 08:06 PM
http://thecreatorsproject.com/videos/muti-randolph/media/d-edge-concept

here's a video of what that image is

citizenerased
04-07-2011, 08:11 PM
So basically the entire Sahara ceiling is covered in LED visuals.

brokenDREAMS
04-07-2011, 08:14 PM
GV is taking major steps in the right direction w/ this collaboration. I can imagine a coachella app in the future that would allow the concertgoer to have interaction with installations, stage setups and what not, similar to what Plastikman was trying to achieve with his app last year. Really excited to see the final results of what the Creators Project has come up for us this year!

GolfWang
04-08-2011, 11:45 PM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-ca-coachella-stage-20110410,0,5395883.story

In one corner of the field at this year's Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, fans will find an unlikely structure — a kind of ad-hoc cathedral. There's no atonement for a boozy weekend inside, however.

Instead, beams of light will cascade from the ceiling in a hall filled with ambient white noise. Pass through the light columns and you'll be awash in pieces from the orchestral, emotionally ravaged single "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space" by British band Spiritualized.

"We wanted the light to be the sound," said Jason Pierce, Spiritualized's mastermind. "The objective was to get people physically inside the song."

The Spiritualized installation, called "Meet Me in the Chorus" and helmed by director Jonathan Glazer ("Birth," "Sexy Beast") and the firm Graft Architects, is one of many ways that the festival, starting Friday in Indio, will explore a radical new method of integrating live performance and three-dimensional art.

This year, Goldenvoice collaborated with the Creators Project — a joint venture from Intel and the saucy New York-based media conglomerate Vice encouraging cross-genre artistic and technical collaboration — to revamp the technical infrastructure of the main stage, the dance-inclined Sahara tent and various installation pieces to allow for greater artistic input. The intention is, as Pierce said, to make songs exist in physical space. They'll turn the festival's stages into performers in their own right.

"After the world economy collapsed, it really made us feel like the whole weekend has to deliver," said Paul Tollett, the founder of Goldenvoice, which produces Coachella. "By the end of Sunday you need to have gone through a range of emotions. The experience of the art and the ambience has to play a huge part in that."

The most prominent addition is the new skeleton of the main stage. Designed and operated by the British design team United Visual Artists (who have constructed sets for U2 and Massive Attack alongside installation and gallery work), the stage has accommodated ambitious live-show sets before — just ask whoever found Roger Waters' inflatable pig in their yard in 2008. But UVA's set makes the stage itself into a spectacle.

The stage will be constructed with a cube of controllable lights, with two wings that retract to open the front of the stage. Between sets, it will glow and shift patterns like a monolithic Rubik's Cube, programmed by the designer and Warp Records recording artist Mira Calix. During sets, UVA will deploy its in-house software to control half a dozen light effects that add depth and effect to a band's onstage presence.

"It's important to have a moment when the stage takes on a personality," said Matt Clark, founder and creative director of UVA. "Hopefully it can be iconic but still be modular and allow the bands to show their own personalities as well."

Top-billed acts including Arcade Fire, Interpol and Animal Collective, however, have incorporated their own lighting designs into UVA's modular stage. Interpol's Friday set will be the first to use a band's master-concept in the rig, and Animal Collective enlisted its experimental-noise peers Black Dice to direct a found-footage montage using UVA's modules to play with the idea of a stadium's Jumbotron. Arcade Fire's Saturday night headlining set will climax in a UVA collaboration with director Chris Milk, who oversaw the band's ambitious and unexpectedly moving childhood-nostalgia Web video, "The Wilderness Downtown."

"It's easy, though, to lose track of the humanity if you just start showcasing tech," Milk said. "I love the contradiction of cold high-tech that's incredibly emotional when used in the right context. It's essentially human nostalgia produced by the most advanced technology available today. Million-dollar satellites, photo-mapping cars, HTML5, a series of tubes — all to take you back emotionally to the place where you started."

As dance music has crossed over into pop and indie rock, the Sahara tent's light rigging will similarly entice novices and seasoned electronica heads. Brazilian designer Muti Randolph will re-cast hanging light panels — each synced in patterns to the music — from his São Paolo, Brazil, club D-Edge to an entirely new audience.

This kind of cross-genre artistic collaboration (one that turns the dancing-about-architecture adage on its head) is the goal of Creators Project, which has its biggest public palette yet at Coachella. It also represents a broader vision for Vice, which has transformed from a field manual of hipster contrarianism into a media business — flush with new venture capital funds — pursuing gonzo investigative journalism and, now, installation art and design.

"When we get back from shooting documentaries in North Korea and Liberia, this is the fun stuff we turn to," said Shane Smith, co-founder of Vice. "Art makes life better, and it doesn't have to be experienced in a snooty gallery."

And at this year's Coachella, both the sound and space can claim to be groundbreaking art. "Too often, live show technology is just about how big your screen is," Clark said. "We come from using negative space. We want to use it for a deeper understanding of the music."

thewoodenman
04-10-2011, 02:57 PM
sdjkafhsaudicasudbgf that rubiks cube idea sounds amazing

thagorillaz
04-10-2011, 07:41 PM
this is incredible. im literally shaking with excitement.
-tim

SeantheJeweler
04-10-2011, 08:01 PM
This thread just multiplied my excitement by 10 times!!!!!

I might have to re-attach my head before I leave for Indio! XD

chairmenmeow47
04-11-2011, 11:30 AM
i regret not acquiring magical substances for this.

Sexecutioner
04-11-2011, 11:33 AM
i regret not acquiring magical substances for this.

you still have a few days!!

chairmenmeow47
04-11-2011, 11:34 AM
crisis averted

suprefan
04-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Some shots of the stages while The do Lab is setting up... hmmm

7YoJxmunJVE

boyalien0
04-11-2011, 01:33 PM
bump to bury my dupe thread.

rage patton
04-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Mainstage at 0:51 in that video?

Aphxtwinin
04-11-2011, 01:52 PM

looks like it, a series of cubes...matches the rubiks cube description

braundiggity
04-11-2011, 01:53 PM

Looks like two separate shots at :50 and :51. And 1:04 looks like it has the barebones of the mainstage, probably early in construction.

What a tease. God, I'm psyched.

citizenerased
04-11-2011, 01:56 PM
It's gonna be even cooler for people that don't read this board and have no idea what's in store.

PlayaDelWes
04-12-2011, 12:32 PM
http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/blog/deconstructing-jonathan-glazer-and-j-spacemans-coachella-installation-meet-undisclosable#
http://assets.thecreatorsproject.com/blog_article_images/images/000/011/472/IMG_7070_detail.jpg?1302564998

DeanCorso
04-12-2011, 01:04 PM
damn!!! just watching those blue skies and that green grass i cannot wait!!!! this anticipation at work is killing me!!!!!! i want to get to the campsite and roll around the grass and take that first view of the fest friday morning!!!!!!!!!!!

bobchella
04-12-2011, 05:00 PM
I think this is a new Sahara tent installation video...

http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/videos/muti-randolph--2

Kropladop
04-13-2011, 12:49 PM
This shows the CP art layout is for this year. Punch looks pretty cool.

http://thecreatorsproject.com/coachella_2011_map.pdf

digitaldragon03
04-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Great pictures of the new stages are out there.

MissingPerson
04-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Apologies if this (http://www.billboard.com/news/coachella-to-feature-mind-blowing-visuals-1005134512.story?sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4da78a0d6f58b261,0#/news/coachella-to-feature-mind-blowing-visuals-1005134512.story?sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4da78a0d6f58b261,0) has already been posted:

The Creators Project's ethos pairs artists with each other and next-generation technologies. Arcade Fire, for example, worked with director Chris Milk on a video-based project called "Summer Into Dust" that Smith says excitedly will have an "insane reveal moment."

mofomofo
04-16-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm giving them a C+ so far on this...maybe expectations got raise to high. My report:

- Untitled was not open when we got to field at around 2pm. Event staff at door said it was supposed to open at 11am but they were still working on it. Anyone know if it eventually opened?

- Interpol supposed special collab w/ Creators was very meh. Not groundbreaking.

- Sahara overhead lights did not seem to be working for Boize Noize

And I do miss me the Burning Man-inspired fire installations/artwork.

Looking forward to some better stuff from them today, esp Animal Collective.

digitaldragon03
04-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Fuck your grade. It was A+ because of this alone.

ceFKMw94sAY

indietron
04-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Creators project needs to come back every year

PlayaDelWes
04-19-2011, 12:52 PM
If they do come back every year, I would hope that all projects are more inclusive than 'untitled' was. For such a prominent and promoted display, I can't imagine a very large % of people had a chance to visit inside. The limited hours / late start only made it more exclusive.

frizzlefry
04-19-2011, 05:53 PM
I agree, Untitled was amazing but the fact that a very small percentage of the festival actually got to enjoy it is rather dissapointing, maybe if they had it in the campgrounds, open a little later than the fest was? They would have to security watching it though for most of the night. Overall the Creator's Project was a success in my eyes, the Coachella Stage collaborations were unreal, Arcade Fire's set was just beyond words, same with the Sahara installation. Kind of underwhelmed with Animal Collective however, especially after the insane intro, felt like there was just a heavy reliance on the visuals coming from the screens and the cubes hanging above them, not enough use of the entire stage imo, I honestly think Primus' hallucinogenitics tour had an almost equivalent setup.

seitron
04-19-2011, 08:50 PM
...You guys realize that the untitled display was only open during specific hours because it depended on the angle of the sun, right?

mountmccabe
04-19-2011, 08:57 PM
I got in Untitled/Undisclosable during a long band dry spell on Sunday. The line seemed long but only took me about 25 minutes to get through.

It had light ports you looked up at and if you stared long enough it would transform your body, sometimes drastically, depending on how much you were concentrating on the light and music.

Ek-HOj_p9ro

mountmccabe
04-19-2011, 09:02 PM
...You guys realize that the untitled display was only open during specific hours because it depended on the angle of the sun, right?

Not true. I doubt any of it was natural light.

A couple friends of mine went in during Arcade Fire and their pictures look the same as mine.

mountmccabe
04-19-2011, 09:39 PM
OK, my real comments:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5101/5636979068_da05e5de4a_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5269/5636399781_93895cb86c_z.jpg

There were speakers all over the ground playing a loop of a section of the song "Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating in Space" by Spiritualized. It was peaceful and relaxing.

According to a friend what saw it in each different light box you were supposed to have certain layers of the song highlighted... though I suppose due to my lack of aural focus I never heard any difference. Or maybe it is because I have heard the song a million times and mentally fill in/rebalance the song (sometimes using the full Elvis version.)

At any rate I liked it but was also a little let down.

eskamo951
04-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Not true. I doubt any of it was natural light.

A couple friends of mine went in during Arcade Fire and their pictures look the same as mine.

I went in Saturday night and the light was the same as in the pictures. I doubt they used natural sunlight during the day

frizzlefry
04-20-2011, 10:23 AM
It was a mirrored light people, that the walls would randomly close around, it was still...I just can't describe it.

Fourthisto
04-21-2011, 08:35 PM
This was a fun little thing. :cool:

f_R367QnlKM

Although now that I watch it again, the eyes are creeping me out! :eek:

ELECtROjan
04-21-2011, 10:16 PM
The Sahara lights were by Artist request... Sasha didnt use them either

sonofhal
04-27-2011, 10:25 AM
http://www.vbs.tv/en-gb/watch/the-creators-project--2/the-creators-project-at-coachella-2011-trailer

Oh yeah!

sonofhal
04-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Also - my favourite comment on that video.

gigantic hipster festival. 98% of the bands there are bad

beeerplease
04-27-2011, 11:24 AM
The Sahara lights were by Artist request... Sasha didnt use them either

Because Sasha and Boys Noize don't need theatrics :thu

Wheres the beef?
05-05-2011, 04:36 PM
http://liveoc.livemagazines.net/index.cfm?page=stories1&filename=coachella.htm&imagefile=coachellastorymain.jpg

Nothing really new but......

Coachella Bound
05-10-2011, 03:05 PM
more to come....

http://su.pr/1HWBUu

MissingPerson
05-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Just out of interest:

@BrantleyG Awesome day of shooting with Nick Zinner and friends for the Creators Project

Neat.

Miroir Noir
07-13-2011, 08:18 AM
The David Lynch animation from Interpol's performance and backstory here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/interpol/david-lynch-interpol_b_893544.html).

blazin
08-02-2011, 01:14 PM
The Creators Project Returns To New York (http://thecreatorsproject.com/blog/the-creators-project-returns-to-new-york)

by The Creators Project Staff July 18, 2011

http://assets.thecreatorsproject.com/blog_article_images/images/000/016/129/KO_glances_right_slide.jpg?1310999287

Last year, we took over Milk Studios in New York City to give you the launch party of all launch parties (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/events/the-creators-project-new-york-city-2010), showcasing works and performances by M.I.A. (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/blog/mia-it-was-amazing-and-its-a-wrap), Interpol (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/creators/interpol), Spike Jonze (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/creators/spike-jonze), Radical Friend (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/creators/radical-friend), and Nick Zinner (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/creators/nick-zinner). It was one of those memorable events that people are still talking about, and has permanently cemented NYC in our hearts.
This year, New York (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/events/the-creators-project-new-york-2011) is the last stop on our whirlwind global tour that began at Coachella (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/events/the-creators-project-coachella-2011) this April, toured through Lyon (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/events/the-creators-project-nuits-sonores-2011), Paris (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/events/the-creators-project-la-ga%C3%AEt%C3%A9-lyrique-2011), and will be hitting São Paulo (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/events/the-creators-project-s%C3%A3o-paulo-2011), Seoul and Beijing (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/events/the-creators-project-beijing-2011), before heading back to the Big Apple to bring it all full circle.
Following last year’s launch in New York, The Creators Project’s return will feature a Karen O (http://www.yeahyeahyeahs.com/) psycho-opera, an assault on the tragic joys of youth. Directed by Adam Rapp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Rapp), the work will be produced by The Studio (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/studio), a multimillion-dollar global studio launched this year by The Creators Project that produces and distributes works from artists representing a cross-section of creative disciplines. The premiere will take place at the critically acclaimed St. Ann’s Warehouse (http://stannswarehouse.org/).
Stay tuned to our blog (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/blog) and event page (http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/events/the-creators-project-new-york-2011) for updates about the performance.

NachoCat
12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Really hoping we get "Origin" An art piece by the Creators Project. Basically a smaller version of last years main stage. Sexy
AWf2p2qJv_k&NR=1

DFrank
12-02-2011, 10:13 AM
If you had to like only one page on fb, it would be the Creators Project. I love their updates.

Goatchella
12-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Yeeeeep

digitaldragon03
12-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Has there been any indication that The Creators Project will be back this year? They were what put the festival over the top last year.

insbordnat
12-02-2011, 12:17 PM
I really hope so. Or at least another collaborator on the same level.

mofomofo
01-03-2012, 08:21 PM
I doubt Creators Project is going anywhere in regard to Coachella...Vice is certainly a brand growing in both wealth and cultural reach according to this article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2012/01/03/tom-frestons-1-billion-revenge-ex-viacom-chief-helps-vice-become-the-next-mtv/

I just hope Coachella still integrates a little art curated from other sources (i.e. Burning Man). But Creators Project (solely funded by Intel to the tune of "tens of millions," according to the article) has the money to continue making bigger and better installations/band collaborations each year.

Kings and noblemen used to be patrons of the artist, now it is our corporate overlords.

NachoCat
01-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Where is the Creators project?

GuyInTucson
01-13-2012, 09:18 AM
What he said ^^

maxpower10
01-13-2012, 11:57 AM
This is by far biggest my disappointment about the lineup. I really hope Creators Project returns. I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention.

Sparty
01-13-2012, 12:22 PM
We need more strobes in the SAHARA.

clumsy342
01-13-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm thinking we will still see work from Creators Project.
But I'm mostly hoping for them to design the Main Stage again this year. That was spectacular.

tmac
01-13-2012, 01:18 PM
bjork + creators project for FRI! PLEASE!

bobchella
01-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Where is???

glacealamode
01-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Creators Project helped with the visuals for Amon Tobin's ISAM tour, which may or may not be part of his show at Coachella. The poster just says "Amon Tobin", but coachella.com/lineup says "Amon Tobin: ISAM Live". I don't really know if that means anything, though. Personally really hope they're able to bring out the full visuals, and that creators will be able to bring more great stuff to the fest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrt7-kIgIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdOAhn8TV20

crombrenner
01-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Creators Project helped with the visuals for Amon Tobin's ISAM tour, which may or may not be part of his show at Coachella. The poster just says "Amon Tobin", but coachella.com/lineup says "Amon Tobin: ISAM Live". I don't really know if that means anything, though. Personally really hope they're able to bring out the full visuals, and that creators will be able to bring more great stuff to the fest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrt7-kIgIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdOAhn8TV20

It is the ISAM setup. Go to Tobin's website and it says just that.

Aurgasm
01-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Hey coachella I hope you're seeing the things that are available...

http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/blog/arranger-of-the-void-meet-pantha-du-prince

and this is touring in april...

http://vimeo.com/34940230

Edmontonian
01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Very disappointed there is no mention of The Creator's Project this year :-(

nyarlathotoats
01-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Very disappointed there is no mention of The Creator's Project this year :-(
^this. Come on Paul, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, or abandon it, in this case.

heyeric
01-26-2012, 11:19 AM
^this. Come on Paul, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, or abandon it, in this case.

Florence + The Machine worked with The Creators Project for the upcoming Ceremonials tour.

captncrzy
02-02-2012, 11:30 AM
So....maybe they're going to be too busy to do stuff for Coachella?

The Creators Project will be kicking off their 2012 programming with a 2-day event in San Francisco, their first-ever stand-alone event in the US outside of New York City. The Project is a global initiative headed by both Intel and VICE, intended to support creativity, and supports artists in realizing their creative visions through technology. The interactive and visual event showcases the interaction between art and technology to thousands of visitors and features bands, films, workshops and original multimedia works by The Studio (the Creators Project’s content-creation studio), as well as a number of installations.

After hosting Creators Project festivals in Beijing, Sao Paulo, New York, Paris, Lyon and Seoul, the event will take over the Bay Area at the historic Fort Mason on March 17th and 18th. The line-up, RSVP information and schedule will be released in the next few weeks. For more information, click here.

SepaGroove
02-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Hey coachella I hope you're seeing the things that are available...

http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/blog/arranger-of-the-void-meet-pantha-du-prince

and this is touring in april...

http://vimeo.com/34940230

This is really cool. Creator's Project has to come back. I didn't think it was possible for Coachella to be any more awesome until they graced us with their presence last year

mofomofo
04-11-2012, 12:22 PM
So I guess it's sorta been addressed already, but looks like the Creators Project - Coachella partnership was a one and done...