PDA

View Full Version : Why are people so concerned with the headliners

PurpleDanks
01-18-2011, 09:30 PM
The headliners are important as the draw mainstream crowds away from other acts headlining at the outside theater and tents...
Every year people bitch about the headliners but generally there's always at least one show that people want to see.
Get over yourselves and over the headliners or just quit bitching.
This year will be EPIC as always!

Leeartlee
01-18-2011, 09:42 PM
yeah... but this year it's the headliners plus the second line. I'm still going because the rest of the lineup is great.

MarkO
01-18-2011, 09:44 PM
I take an interest in the headliners as I live in Oregon and traveling 1100 miles to see a bunch of 2nd, 3rd and 4th line acts isn't worth it if the headliners aren't up to scratch.

TomServo
01-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Because they're the reason this is the most expensive festival ticket in the country.

Almost $300 for Kings of Leon, The Strokes, and Kanye West? With no second line? If you can pay $100 less per ticket and go to ACL, Lolla, or Roo, they need to provide something of value. There's no Paul McCartney or Prince here, not even close.

TomServo
01-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Besides... who's the "big deal" act here? Last year we thought it was Gorillaz, since they hadn't announced a tour, and their shows were so uncommon. Kanye is (and will continue to be) over-exposed, KoL are blah, The Strokes continually show up late and leave early since their "comeback", and Arcade Fire has played all over California in recent months.

I'm very disappointed in the headliners. Besides, anyone who gets excited over the UC needs to take a chill pill - they'll miss 2/3 of those acts due to conflicts and overcrowded tents. Let's be realistic here, this is not a top-notch festival lineup.

zamuelwashington
01-18-2011, 10:00 PM
I don't give a fnck about the headliners. Check out Two Door Cinema, Yelle, and Tame Impala cause thats what I'm going for

spiggums
01-18-2011, 10:02 PM
I take an interest in the headliners as I live in Oregon and traveling 1100 miles to see a bunch of 2nd, 3rd and 4th line acts isn't worth it if the headliners aren't up to scratch.

I don't understand this logic...

But then I traveled from DC last year... and the hands down highlight that made the whole thing worthwhile was a fourth liner.

The only headliner I had any interest in was the Gorillaz.

Mammoth85
01-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Seriously. Get the fuck over it. There are so many brilliant acts to be seen. Besides, Arcade Fire are a headliner. Get blown haters.

Rarebreed
01-18-2011, 10:07 PM
MEOW! Some GOOd Some bad. WE need more Good. I'm sure they will add more once we get closer to the date!

Where is my Daft Punk :(
Hopefully they will surprise us with that. haha

I'm going no matter what, because that what I do.

nationocean
01-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Lets just say Coachella is deciding to stay competitors with Lolla instead of trying to be a world class festival like Glasto, which sadly looks like it will never be...

LunaVC
01-18-2011, 10:13 PM
anything on those posters that is large than font size 12 is turd

it's all about the new acts

like I want to see Gogol Bordello again

crap 3 years ago

crap today

MarkO
01-18-2011, 10:14 PM
I don't understand ...

Don't worry about it.

MarkO
01-18-2011, 10:15 PM
. Besides, Arcade Fire are a headliner....

.... who just toured.

nationocean
01-18-2011, 10:37 PM
http://stereogum.com/img/coachella_2008.jpg

from just 2008.. which had Love & Rockets, Roger Waters, Portishead, Kraftwerk, Prince and The Verve..

2011 has all american headliners, none had a proper album before 2000 and the only reunion I can see is DFA1979

If I knew this was the way it was going, I would have never complained about Jack Johnson..

I can't believe I just said that..

spiggums
01-18-2011, 10:40 PM
2011 has all american headliners, none had a proper album before 2000 and the only reunion I can see is DFA1979

B.A.D.?

nationocean
01-18-2011, 10:40 PM
* North American.. Canada isn't even a real country anyway :p

nationocean
01-18-2011, 10:43 PM
http://www.ebombfilms.com/coachella_recordings/pictures/2003/200301.jpg

first year I went..

blueblazered
01-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Come to think of it, this lineup looks like a combination of 2010 Outside Lands/FYF, 2008 Coachella, and amixofeverythingcaliforniahasseenlastyear.

zzzzz

TheDeadBird
01-18-2011, 10:46 PM
DFA 1979 is all i need

thenoiboi
01-18-2011, 11:43 PM
I don't give a fnck about the headliners. Check out Two Door Cinema, Yelle, and Tame Impala cause thats what I'm going for

TDCC will for sure be great, among lots of others. still, i kind of understand why people are a little upset, considering the amount of time headliners get versus even second-liners.

though i'll be happy going with the lineup as-is, i hope for a last second add or two a la 08...

unit300021
01-19-2011, 12:01 AM
People care because the headliners determine what type of crowd is going to be there. Plus the headliners affect the overall look of the festival.

choice cat
01-19-2011, 12:21 AM
I think this year will still be very worth my while. HOWEVER, I could definitely see alot of people not seeing the worth in travelling cross country, or across the world. And not being up to par with glasto/roo.

darksideofkaos.
01-19-2011, 12:30 AM
The headliners are definately different from waht everyone has been expecting. Definately lacking a wow factor. For me living near L.A. Coachella is only a 4-5 hour drive and the headliners don't really matter considering the undercard is pretty fucking good this year (Shpongle live set... Yeah).

The headliners are very mainstream and are going to bring a different type of person to the festival and even though I want to say it wont sell out, I know I'll be proven wrong when it does.

Bumblebee
01-19-2011, 03:47 AM
The headliners are definately different from waht everyone has been expecting. Definately lacking a wow factor.

The "names missing from the lineup" has a list of several dozen artist that would give Coachella that "wow" factor. Reasonable selections and not pipedreams.

Memorial_07
01-19-2011, 04:07 AM
Like someone mentioned, headliners have a pretty big determining on what kind of crowd will be there and how much will show up.
When having Prince and Roger Waters on the same weekend, one could imagine a HUGE following of such a huge variety of people but when having the most mainstream headliners possible (Muse, KoL, Kanye etc.) you can kinda expect what sort of crowd will come.
Muse, for example, was plagued by dickheaded frat boys and little hipster girls (at least where I was) and it does kill the mood of a show. With the headliners for this year, I can expect it'll be a similar crowd like last years.

Too many people frying on some shit like there's no tomorrow, a bunch of hipsters and guidos and basically any type of prick you wouldn't want to see at a festival.

That's just how I saw it last year and how I foresee it this year.

nbvcide
01-19-2011, 06:45 AM
every year i watch one headliner, and skip the other two.. this year is no exception.

i'm okay with this lineup, i'm just not bragging and showing off the poster to anyone this year..