PDA

View Full Version : The Mars Volta 2011

WhyTheLongFace
12-10-2010, 02:26 PM
In May 2010, The Mars Volta entered pre-production for the forthcoming album.[28] According to various interviews with Rodriguez-Lopez, he has decided to put the supposed follow up album to Octahedron on hold. The reason for this is that he thought the album he recorded to be the band's sixth album sounds "boring" to him now. He claims to have started working on a completely new album as the follow up. No mention has been made of what the album will sound like, or any titles for songs or the album itself. In a recent interview to Rolling Stone Rodriguez-Lopez stated that he is trying to learn to loosen his grip in the studio. Usually, when he's done with the music, he gives it to singer Cedric Bixler-Zavala with a story and a concept and then oversees the writing of the lyrics. For the band's sixth album he's just passed the tracks along and is trying to be patient while Bixler-Zavala writes, without pressure, for the first time. ”This is very hard for me,” Rodriguez-Lopez tells Rolling Stone, ”and there's not a day where I look at the phone and don't want to call him, asking, 'You got something? Come on!' This is my first challenge, to let him do it at his own pace. He's always painted by what I told him, and I didn't say anything. I want his stories.”[29]

In addition, other future projects have been mentioned by band members. Rodriguez-Lopez is working on a film documenting the entire history of the band including studio and backstage footage taken over the years. Another project mentioned is a new live album similar to Scabdates featuring songs from Frances the Mute and Amputechture.[14]

In October 2010, The Mars Volta played two shows in Brazil and Chile respectively.[30][31] Long-time keyboardist, Ikey Owens, was absent during these dates due to touring commitments with his own project, Free Moral Agents.

On December 9, 2010, Omar Rodríguez-López made a statement via the ORLProductions Twitter page, which read "In LA finishing up the new The Mars Volta album".

:thu
I missed their show at Ventura Theater and i think that was my last chance to see them so yeah BRING THEM ON!
Outdoor at 7 or Mojave at 10

rage patton
12-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Fuck. That.

Don't get me wrong. Frances The Mute and Deloused... are two of my favorite albums of all times. But everything since then has been garbage. Furthermore, they are not that great live anymore.

NachoCat
12-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Oh hellllllz nah

le cab
12-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Fuck. That.

Don't get me wrong. Frances The Mute and Deloused... are two of my favorite albums of all times. But everything since then has been garbage. Furthermore, they are not that great live anymore.

exactly.

hobomilitia
12-10-2010, 10:35 PM
utterly shit band fronted by two utterly shit individuals.

tigermilkboy
12-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Fuck. That.

This is quite correct.

rasooli
12-11-2010, 12:47 AM
The mars volta fucking suck. I don't want to hear that shit. Longface, your taste in music is terrible.

sbconnection
12-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Fuck. That.

I couldn't agree more! There definitely is some genius to this band, but they just lost their steam... I saw them at Bonnaroo '09 and it was shyt... :(

Regardless, I'll probably be giving the new album a shot, its never too late to make a comeback.

GnarVee
12-11-2010, 07:55 AM
YES PLEASE.....that clip in the Coachella DVD deserves a web redemption

thefrush
12-11-2010, 09:30 AM
With Frusciante?

Phantasma Del Mar
12-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Would rather have an At The Drive-In reunion.

sbessiso
12-11-2010, 09:50 AM
This band blows.

heart cooks brain
12-11-2010, 10:13 AM
This band blows.

bingo

TheRotten42
12-11-2010, 10:21 AM
They use to be an amazing band. At one point I hard seen them more than any other band coming through LA/Ventura. But unfortunately with Omar kicking people out of the band left and right I've found the former members new projects and other side projects (one day as a lion, Vato Negro, Free Moral, El Regimen) more interesting.

psycobetabuckdown
12-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Amputechture wasn't that bad of an album. But Bedlam was so annoying I never bothered to check out Octahedron.

TheRotten42
12-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Amputechture wasn't that bad of an album. But Bedlam was so annoying I never bothered to check out Octahedron.

Octahedron is by far their worst most main stream sounding album, you didn't miss anything.

MuseRadio
12-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah Octahedron sucked but I really liked Amputechture. Bring on the Volta. Can't wait to see them live again!

liquidsnake28
12-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Deloused was great sure, but Frances was just as bad as all the rest of them. One album wonders.

Mammoth85
12-11-2010, 01:03 PM
:thu
I missed their show at Ventura Theater and i think that was my last chance to see them so yeah BRING THEM ON!
Outdoor at 7 or Mojave at 10

The Ventura show was horrific. The sound was absolutely ghastly. I still have hearing damage from it. The Palladium show following was absolutely fantastic though. They brought back Son Et Lumiere/Intertiatic E.S.P. as the opener. JUst a stellar show.

I know I'm near alone in my opinion on these guys, but I've enjoyed all their records. Of course De-Loused and Frances are the hallmarks, but I adore Amputechture, Bedlam, and particularly Octahedron for it's departure from their traditional frantic sound.

I wouldn't mind them coming, but I doubt they will, they said they don't really enjoy playing festivals anyway (probably because they're so self-centered and pretentious in their sentiments). But hey, I still love these guys.

obzen
12-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Tremulant EP
De-Loused In The Comatorium
Frances The Mute

In that order.

I'd check this out; At The Drive-In would be better.

rage patton
12-11-2010, 03:19 PM
I couldn't agree more! There definitely is some genius to this band, but they just lost their steam... I saw them at Bonnaroo '09 and it was shyt... :(

Regardless, I'll probably be giving the new album a shot, its never too late to make a comeback.

What is worse is that their Bonnaroo set was about 10000000000 times better than their set at Sasquatch the year earlier.

frazzles
12-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Fuck. That.

Cosigned.

yeahfontaine
12-11-2010, 07:58 PM
I decided I don't mind all you Volta-haters anymore. Hate away.

I fucking love them and I can't wait for the new lineup with Deantoni Parks back on the kit. And if they show up on the poster I will cry tears of joy while my husband holds me and shouts for joy himself. That's all I need, really. I must be becoming more emotionally mature in my 30s or something.

liquidsnake28
12-11-2010, 08:04 PM
So there's Steely Dan, Mars Volta ... what other bands do you love?

yeahfontaine
12-11-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm pretty sure we already covered this, LS.

liquidsnake28
12-11-2010, 08:08 PM
My bad. I don't remember. I'm assuming you also like ... hmm I don't know what to assume. Link to the post/thread, please?

liquidsnake28
12-11-2010, 08:10 PM
The Eagles?

yeahfontaine
12-11-2010, 08:11 PM
I didn't mean we literally covered the bands I like. I meant that you already voiced your disapproval of my music tastes.

And nah, man, I'm havin' a really bad day and I hate the fuckin' Eagles and no, I won't get out of your cab.

liquidsnake28
12-11-2010, 08:13 PM
So if you haven't told me any other bands you like then we haven't covered this at all. Alas, we'll save it for a day when you're in a good mood.

yeahfontaine
12-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Again, I'm not actually in a bad mood. This time it was a Big Lebowski reference.

Okay, if you're really and truly interested, I'll compile a free-association list off the top of my head for a few minutes... hang on.

yeahfontaine
12-11-2010, 08:29 PM
The White Stripes, Franz Ferdinand, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse, Weezer, Beck, Interpol, Arctic Monkeys, The Go Team, The Scissor Sisters, The Trucks, Cold War Kids, The Rapture, Justice, Ghostland Observatory, Gossip, The Black Keys, Daft Punk, Depeche Mode, The Violent Femmes, The Beastie Boys, Nine Inch Nails, The Cure, Peter Gabriel, Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Doors, James Brown, The Stones, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Johnny Cash, David Bowie, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, Dean Martin, Tom Jones, Neil Diamond, The Velvet Underground, !!!, Blonde Redhead, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Dead Weather, King Khan and the Shrines, Friendly Fires, the Kills, TV on the Radio, Liars, etc.

So as you can see there is definitely a certain amount of lounge lizard/smooth 60s music circa The Party on there (hence my affection for Steely Dan, I suppose) mixed with a healthy dose of experimental art rock and a bit of post-punk and prog --hence I guess my affinity for The Mars Volta, although my deep adoration for them comes 98% from the electricity I feel from their live performances--Pete and I have flown all over the country to see them and every show has been worth it--even Ventura with all its flaws was awesome because we got to hear almost ALL the songs off Octahedron and they never did that many of them at any other show after that. Fantastic.

sbessiso
12-11-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm pretty sure we already covered this, LS.

why are you feeding the troll?

and TMV should open for Kanye.

yeahfontaine
12-11-2010, 08:35 PM
why are you feeding the troll?

and TMV should open for Kanye.

I don't come here often enough to keep track of who's worth talking to, so I get yelled at a lot for providing sustenance to those I shouldn't. =)

Ha TMV into Kanye would be nuts.

liquidsnake28
12-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Salah is asking why somebody else is responding to me when he has at least hundreds, if not thousands, of posts that are direct responses to mine ... yeah no contradictions or hypocrisy here.

sbessiso
12-11-2010, 08:52 PM
thousands? easy now. and you werent always quite like this Tim. Why are you being so outrageously obnoxious and goddamn annoying lately?

frazzles
12-11-2010, 10:53 PM
TMV into Kanye would eliminate any interest I have in the mainstage for a good 2-3 hours.

Bendulum
12-11-2010, 11:02 PM
What is worse is that their Bonnaroo set was about 10000000000 times better than their set at Sasquatch the year earlier.

That jam they opened with was quite intense (Thomas Pridgen was fierce)... but what was amusing was that we witnessed Cedric jump off the tall amplifier cabinet, attempt to take hold of a video camera and throw a drum cymbal into the crowd.

yeahfontaine
12-12-2010, 03:55 PM
That jam they opened with was quite intense (Thomas Pridgen was fierce)... but what was amusing was that we witnessed Cedric jump off the tall amplifier cabinet, attempt to take hold of a video camera and throw a drum cymbal into the crowd.

^Yeah, and it was ridiculously awesome.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=221&pictureid=1239

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=221&pictureid=1237

And here's an interview with him before he went onstage that day...shows that he wasn't "pissed off at the world" or "tripping balls" as lots of people claimed after they witnessed his performance that day. He just has a badass stage persona. I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWWkU3cnxJc

psycobetabuckdown
12-12-2010, 07:28 PM
However hit or miss they are live and however shit their recent output is, I would probably be in the crowd for TMV. It's just something that is sure to put you in a good mood, and I like being in a good mood at Coachella. They've gotta close a stage though and play over an hour.

irthesteve
04-20-2011, 11:49 PM
So did any of you see them this year?

yeahfontaine
05-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Fuck yes. It was one of my top sets all weekend. And I loved hearing all the lamentations for the rest of the weekend, too. "Oh, what??!!! Cedric was there???"

Cedric was at his shamanistic storyteller best and the band sounded amazing, even without Ikey. Marcel's doing a great job.

So far the released Volta dates are:

Fri, 07/01/2011 Hove Festival
Tromřya, Arendal
Norway

Sun, 07/03/2011 The Circus
Helsinki
Finland

Wed, 07/06/2011 A2 Concert Hall
Moscow
Russia

Fri, 07/08/2011 Bilbao BBK Live
Bilbao
Spain

Sat, 07/09/2011 UK Sonisphere
Knebworth
United Kingdom

Wed, 07/13/2011 Festival Pier (at Penn's Landing)
Philadelphia, PA
w/ Soundgarden

Mon, 07/18/2011 Red Rocks Amphitheatre
Morrison, CO
w/ Soundgarden

Fri, 07/22/2011 The Forum
Inglewood, CA
w/ Soundgarden

Fri, 07/29/2011 Splendour in the Grass
Woodfordia
Australia

Sat/Sun, 08/13-14/2011 Summer Sonic