PDA

View Full Version : Rags To Radio - With Gratitude (My band's 2nd EP)

rage patton
12-08-2010, 02:34 PM
So, as most of you here know, I am in a band. We are called Rags To Radio. Last year we released our first EP and I put it up here for everyone to listen to. The feedback I got was awesome. So, thank you to everyone who gave both compliments and constructive criticism. Both of those helped during the writing and recording process of this EP.

So, give it a listen and tell me what you think! Click on the cover and it will take you to the download!

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/WithGratitudeCover.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/?i38l7zk5353dmab)

Tracklisting:

1. Cat Bones
2. Cup Of Tea
3. Gallows Humor
4. Farewell Fairweather
5. Cheats

If you want to criticize the EP, or certain parts, or a certain song, please do. I do ask though, please offer constructive criticism. Please don't just say "It sucks." Good constructive criticism helps more than you know and we appreciate it.

Also, if you have anything good to say, we would love to hear that too of course!

I don't know if any of you are feeling overly generous, but, if you are, please head on over to our bandcamp page: http://ragstoradio.bandcamp.com/

Here, you can purchase our EP for $3. That is, only if you feel like it though. No need to. I am appreciate that you were interested enough to click on this thread and, hopefully, give my EP a listen.

Oh, and here are the three biggest criticisms we recieved about our last EP and what we did to fix 'em.

1. Our drummer: We took your advice. We fired him and got a new one. Our new drummer is killer and since we have joined the band, we have become 10 times the band we were.

2. Recording Quality: Our first EP was recorded in our friends shack and mastered by his dad whose last experience master was on analog in the 70s. This one was recorded at two professional music studios and mastered by a pro as well.

3. All the tracks started with a guitar intro: We fixed that as well. 2 of the tracks don't start with a guitar intro.

Anyways, thanks guys! Can't wait to hear your feedback.

rage patton
12-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Oh, and if any of you are interested, we also have t-shirts for sale.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/BlackShirt.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/WhiteCatShirt.jpg

A couple boardies here have bought shirts before, so I figure I might as well offer them. If you want one, just PM me. They are $15 (+ shipping). If anyone wants a physical copy of the EP too, those are $5. If want a t-shirt and/or EP, let me know!

Thanks again for listening!

TomAz
12-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Does your band sounds like Steely Dan?

rage patton
12-08-2010, 02:44 PM
We sound like pretty much the oposite of Steely Dan. There are plenty of little imperfections on the album and, I think, they help give it character. Plus, it is very not smooth.

TallGuyCM
12-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Does your band sounds like Steely Dan?

They in no way sounds like them.

rage patton
12-08-2010, 05:36 PM
I think that will be our new slogan. Rags To Radio: Sounds absolutely nothing like Steely Dan.

rage patton
12-08-2010, 08:01 PM
It is a Wednesday night and I know you are all bored. C'mon. Give it a listen. Its 5 songs and 15 minutes long. I also see that 8 people have downloaded the EP so far. What are your guys' first impressions?

TallGuyCM
12-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Just put it on...will report back in a bit...

Edit: Oh and you should edit the first post and mention that clicking on the album cover leads to the download site. Took me a little while to figure that out.

rage patton
12-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Awesome! Can't wait to hear what ya think, Chris.

psycobetabuckdown
12-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Listening right now, and so far it's way better than the fucking Dead Weather.

Nah seriously though I like it so far.

But seriously I don't like the Dead Weather.

rage patton
12-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Haha, well I am glad you like it! ...why bring up the Dead Weather though? I am slightly confused.

psycobetabuckdown
12-08-2010, 08:22 PM
You know, garage rock and all that jazz. I think they're the flag bearers, aren't they?

Don't mean to stutta, stutta.
^like that part

clumsy342
12-08-2010, 08:23 PM
while I wouldn't compare it to Dead Weather, I would compare it to Band of Skulls, who I think sound like the DW should've sounded more like.

rage patton
12-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Hahaha. Our singer/guitarist idolizes Jack White. I thought Gallows Humor reminded me of a more Raconteurs-y song. But Dead Weather works too. I will take that as a compliment.

while I wouldn't compare it to Dead Weather, I would compare it to Band of Skulls, who I think sound like the DW should've sounded more like.

I'll take that as a compliment too.

psycobetabuckdown
12-08-2010, 08:31 PM

I have to say it's about time for me to give BoS a chance. I always assumed they were a low-rent Band of Horses, for no good reason.

As for Jack White idolizing, I'm not surprised because I hear it a little, although that's not to say he doesn't have his own voice. When I made the DW comment I hadn't heard tracks 3-5 yet.

Anyway I have now and I like it, no criticism here. I'm not ready to buy your t-shirt but maybe someday...

rage patton
12-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Cool dude! Thanks for giving us the time man. I am glad you enjoyed it. And I didn't mean to put the t-shirts up there to pressure anybody haha. I figured I would just put em up to let people here know they are available.

TallGuyCM
12-08-2010, 08:56 PM
I really liked the EP, Josh. Great bass chops on Cup of Tea, especially. :)

I definitely don't see much Dead Weather comparison, the music reminded me more of the Specials-influenced late 90s bands that were all the rage (no pun intended) when I was in high school.

rage patton
12-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Specials influenced? I won't deny, ska and reggae definately have an influence on my bass playing, but our guitarist and drummer don't even listen to ska. What bands are you thinking of?

But I am glad you like the EP! Thanks for taking the time. Cup of Tea was my favorite song to record and it is also my favorite song to play live.

TallGuyCM
12-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Specials influenced? I won't deny, ska and reggae definately have an influence on my bass playing, but our guitarist and drummer don't even listen to ska. What bands are you thinking of?

No specific bands, maybe it's because I was listening extra close to the bass playing.

psycobetabuckdown
12-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Singer = Jack White/Daryl Palumbo offspring, yeah?

Alchemy
12-08-2010, 09:39 PM
I dig the EP, Josh! "Gallows Humor" was my favorite one. I think it would be cool if there was some distortion on the guitar in it. Maybe... I definitely get the Jack White vibe going on with the singer pretty heavily. It isn't a bad thing for me, though. "Farewell Fairweather" is another cool one. Sometimes I am reminded of Jet, that song they had, "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" I think it's "Cup of Tea" that makes me think of that song... Um, you guys sound better than that, though.

JClemy
12-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Sounds great! I really like it.

rage patton
12-09-2010, 10:18 AM
No specific bands, maybe it's because I was listening extra close to the bass playing.

Maybe haha. Either way, I am glad you like my bass playing.

Fun fact: I never played bass in my life until I joined this band. I have been playing for just over 2 years now.

Singer = Jack White/Daryl Palumbo offspring, yeah?

Had to google who Daryl Palumbo is. Glassjaw eh? I havent listened to them much, so I guess I will have to check em out to see what you mean.

I dig the EP, Josh! "Gallows Humor" was my favorite one. I think it would be cool if there was some distortion on the guitar in it. Maybe... I definitely get the Jack White vibe going on with the singer pretty heavily. It isn't a bad thing for me, though. "Farewell Fairweather" is another cool one. Sometimes I am reminded of Jet, that song they had, "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" I think it's "Cup of Tea" that makes me think of that song... Um, you guys sound better than that, though.

Another new slogan. Rags To Radio: Better than Jet.

But seriously, I am glad you guys are digging the tunes.

rage patton
12-09-2010, 01:14 PM
This is just a bump for anyone who hasn't downloaded/listened to the EP yet. Thanks again guys!

liquidsnake28
12-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Ok Josh, I'm listening and you know I'll be completely objective.

So far, yeah, this dude wants to be Jack White, which isn't a bad thing necessarily

liquidsnake28
12-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Ok, I listened to all of them and just like I said, too much Jack White influence. It really is overbearing. However, good job man. This is not bad at all, solid bass playing. Props.

Also though, like I have said in the past - terrible band name. You really should change it.

york707
12-09-2010, 02:37 PM
I really like the EP. Good energy, good tunes. Cup of Tea is my favorite and is definitely making it onto my workout playlist.

Comparing their singer to Jack White indicates that the person doing the comparison hasn't listened to music very widely - the vocal delivery is very common in garage/trashy/60s/fuzz rock.

Also: did you guys record with a click track? If not, you should maybe consider it just for recordings. (Edit: I realize doing so is the antithesis of the style of music you play. It's just the rhythm player in me that's thinking that)

tessalasset
12-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Bought a copy. This better be good, Josh!

paulb
12-09-2010, 08:17 PM
downloading now man! Cant wait to hear it!

psycobetabuckdown
12-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Had to google who Daryl Palumbo is. Glassjaw eh? I havent listened to them much, so I guess I will have to check em out to see what you mean.

Oh well either check out Head Automatica or Glassjaw's big singles, because on most of their album tracks he's just screaming. That's not the comparison I meant to make.

rage patton
12-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Ok, I listened to all of them and just like I said, too much Jack White influence. It really is overbearing. However, good job man. This is not bad at all, solid bass playing. Props.

Also though, like I have said in the past - terrible band name. You really should change it.

Thanks for listening and thanks for the feedback, Tim.

As for the band name, you have expressed your opinion before, but we all like it and we think the name suits our sound. Plus, we already have t-shirts and EPs and stuff made, and we are making a name for ourselves in the Vancouver scene right now. To change our name would be silly at this piont.

And see my comment below re: Jack White.

I really like the EP. Good energy, good tunes. Cup of Tea is my favorite and is definitely making it onto my workout playlist.

Comparing their singer to Jack White indicates that the person doing the comparison hasn't listened to music very widely - the vocal delivery is very common in garage/trashy/60s/fuzz rock.

Also: did you guys record with a click track? If not, you should maybe consider it just for recordings. (Edit: I realize doing so is the antithesis of the style of music you play. It's just the rhythm player in me that's thinking that)

Thanks for listening. Jeff is it, right? I remember you saying you liked Cup of Tea when I posted a live video of it a month or two ago. Glad you liked the EP.

Also, you are right. Our singer loves his garage rock. In my opinion, to say his singing is reminiscent of Jack White is fair. But he doesn't sound exactly like him.

As for the click track, songs 1, 3 and 4 were recorded with a click track. It was painstakingly brutal process, and it stressed us out greatly. When we went to a different studio, to record tracks 2 and 5, we tried them with a clicktrack... but we said fuck it. It was making us too angry haha. So yeah.

Bought a copy. This better be good, Josh!

Thanks a bunch, Tessa! Let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy it!

rage patton
12-10-2010, 05:37 PM
So I am gonna go ahead a bump this thread.

Pixiessp
12-10-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm still wanting a physical copy of your EP, Josh. How do I get one?

bballarl
12-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Downloaded. Will listen.

rage patton
12-10-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm still wanting a physical copy of your EP, Josh. How do I get one?

I already PMed you Joann, but for anyone else wondering, if you want a physical copy (and/or a t-shirt) just send me a PM and I will mail em out as soon as I can.

Downloaded. Will listen.

Awesome Andrew. Looking forward to what you have to say.

rage patton
12-11-2010, 05:13 PM
So about a quarter of the people who have downloaded this EP have given feedback about it. And I thank every one of you for downloading it! But I would like to hear more!

GeezrRckr
12-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Edit: Oh and you should edit the first post and mention that clicking on the album cover leads to the download site.
ha, remind you of another site we enjoy?

gonna give it a listen tomorrow. congrats on it dropping, Josh.

sbessiso
12-11-2010, 05:44 PM
my computer sucks, are any of these songs streaming somewhere? maybe....*gulp* myspace?

GeezrRckr
12-11-2010, 05:48 PM
go to the bandcamp site, Salah. you can stream the jams there.

rage patton
12-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Edit: Oh and you should edit the first post and mention that clicking on the album cover leads to the download site. Took me a little while to figure that out.

Just noticed this. I didn't even think of that. I have edited the first post.

gonna give it a listen tomorrow. congrats on it dropping, Josh.

Thanks dude! Can't wait to hear what ya think!

my computer sucks, are any of these songs streaming somewhere? maybe....*gulp* myspace?

go to the bandcamp site, Salah. you can stream the jams there.

What he said. Salah, go here: http://ragstoradio.bandcamp.com/

And you can listen to all the tracks for free. Let me know what you think! I already have a feeling which songs you will like best.

sbessiso
12-11-2010, 06:13 PM
you're my cup of taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

(on my 2nd round. going to listen a couple more times)

rage patton
12-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Cool. Sounds like you are enjoying it then haha. Let me know what you think when you're all done listening!

tessalasset
12-12-2010, 02:14 AM
I haven't listened yet cause I've been stuck on Kanye West, but I put the EP on my ipod just now so I'll try to play it in the car when I can pay better attention.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Really nice ep Josh! The playing is tight and the recording sare really nice. Fantastic drum sound on "Cheats" especially, and I really like how the horns sound throughout. Your bass lines are really solid. "Gallows Humor" is probably my favorite song.

Listening back to back with the first ep and i'll definitely say that the new one is quite an improvement on every level, including mixing decisions (there are some weird panning decisions on the earlier record IMO), actual skill level on all ends (the singer especially has improved), and just basic recording quality (the horns sounds exponentially better on the new record! they were flat and even back-mixed I could hear them pinning a lot of the first one).

I must admit though that this isn't exactly the type of music I would find myself listening to on any sort of regular basis, but you guys do it really well.

TomAz
12-13-2010, 11:03 AM
This sucks eggs. Derivative drivel from a bunch of overprivileged canadians trying out the garage band sound. It's musical let's-play-dressup from the whitest band alive.

OK, I'm just kidding. I just downloaded it now. Haven't listened to it yet. ha ha.

rage patton
12-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Shit. I still need to pay you for this. My apologies, man, I'll paypal a bit later tonight.

No worries dude. Let me know when your t-shirt arrives! And thanks again!

I haven't listened yet cause I've been stuck on Kanye West, but I put the EP on my ipod just now so I'll try to play it in the car when I can pay better attention.

Cool, Tessa. Can't wait to hear what you think! And thanks again for buying the EP from us at bandcamp.

Really nice ep Josh! The playing is tight and the recording sare really nice. Fantastic drum sound on "Cheats" especially, and I really like how the horns sound throughout. Your bass lines are really solid. "Gallows Humor" is probably my favorite song.

Listening back to back with the first ep and i'll definitely say that the new one is quite an improvement on every level, including mixing decisions (there are some weird panning decisions on the earlier record IMO), actual skill level on all ends (the singer especially has improved), and just basic recording quality (the horns sounds exponentially better on the new record! they were flat and even back-mixed I could hear them pinning a lot of the first one).

I must admit though that this isn't exactly the type of music I would find myself listening to on any sort of regular basis, but you guys do it really well.

Thanks for listening Andrew. I am really glad you have noticed improvements from the first EP, you are the first one to adress this and I appreciate that. Yeah, I think the biggest fail of the first EP was the mixing/panning. It was really weird and I never really payed attention to it until you guys pointed it out. We were a part of the mixing process on this EP and we were really picky about it.

So I am glad you noticed that. I am also glad you think we have gotten better as a band. I feel like we have become an exponentially better band since last year and we wanted to show that with this EP.

And your last comment is fair enough. We know this music isn't for everyone, but I appreciate that you took the time to listen and you recognize that we have some sort of talent haha.

This sucks eggs. Derivative drivel from a bunch of overprivileged canadians trying out the garage band sound. It's musical let's-play-dressup from the whitest band alive.

OK, I'm just kidding. I just downloaded it now. Haven't listened to it yet. ha ha.

Hahaha. Awesome review. "Overprivileged Canadian." I think my board title should be changed to that.

rage patton
12-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Yup.

TomAz
12-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Someone should make a Coachella poster with the headliners being The Tet Holiday, The Dive Poets, and Rags to Radio.

. . .

rage patton
12-16-2010, 03:23 PM
. . .

My last poster in the create a festival contest had both Rags To Radio and The Tet Holiday on it. York's band is definately headliner status now though.

rage patton
12-19-2010, 04:34 PM
So... Tom, Tessa and others. What are you guys' thoughts?

Also, anyone who hasn't listened, please do. This new EP is far better than Kanye West's new album and it is only 15 minutes long.

PassiveTheory
12-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Come tour the states already.

rage patton
12-19-2010, 04:52 PM
We are doing a Canadian tour in March. Get us some visa's and we will come to the States in the summer.

paulb
12-19-2010, 04:56 PM
This literally sounds 10000000x better than the 1st ep, production wise....loving the track Gallows Humor, I never really got the Jack White references to Laytons vocals, especially considering I know the guy in person...but ya...this is def reminding me of Jack White's style on Carolina Drama.

I think you guys are def going in the right direction, are you guys writing any more songs currently?

rage patton
12-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Yeah, we wrote a brand new song about a month or two ago, and we have played it live 3 times. A bunch of people have told us it is our best yet. It also makes the crowd go crazy, which is awesome. I think in the new year we are gonna be working on a bunch more. We have definately changed directions since our first EP, and I am sure it is for the better.

And glad you like it Paul! We are really proud of it and it has been getting a good reception so far. Next step: album.

greghead
12-19-2010, 11:29 PM
The package came last Thursday, thanks a bunch man. Fucking love the kitty shirt, will be worn at Coachella.

As for the EP, I really like it. As everyone has mentioned, it is a very nice improvement from your first release. The singer's voice is . . . strange to me. I can't really explain it, his voice just doesn't seem to jive very well with the rest of the sound. But I think you all did a pretty great job on this one. Will be listening again.

TomAz
12-21-2010, 08:19 AM

I finally listened to your EP last night, Josh. very nicely done. I was impressed by the sound quality, and your band is good. I will listen again, not because I have to but because I want to.

But the first thing I thought on the first song was "damn this singer is sure trying to sound like Jack White". But then again, I haven't listened to music very widely.

rage patton
12-22-2010, 03:00 PM
The package came last Thursday, thanks a bunch man. Fucking love the kitty shirt, will be worn at Coachella.

As for the EP, I really like it. As everyone has mentioned, it is a very nice improvement from your first release. The singer's voice is . . . strange to me. I can't really explain it, his voice just doesn't seem to jive very well with the rest of the sound. But I think you all did a pretty great job on this one. Will be listening again.

Awesome Greg! Thanks for buying the t-shirt and EP from us. Glad the shirt fits too. As for the singers voice, live we have never got a comment that his voice doesnt suit the music. But on both of our EPs, we have gotten comments from people saying his voice and the music is mismatched. It is kind of weird that way. From people who have seen us live and listened to our EP, they have said Layton (our singer) definately sounds different recorded rather than live. Personally, I like his voice and I think it fits the music both live and recorded. But then again, I am in the band haha.

I finally listened to your EP last night, Josh. very nicely done. I was impressed by the sound quality, and your band is good. I will listen again, not because I have to but because I want to.

But the first thing I thought on the first song was "damn this singer is sure trying to sound like Jack White". But then again, I haven't listened to music very widely.

Thanks for listening, Tom. Glad you like it! And it makes me happy to hear you will actually go back and listen to it on your own time because you want to, not because someone is asking. I mean this with all sincerity. If our music didn't do this, we wouldn't be able to expand our fanbase. So thank you.

And yeah, the Jack White-ness was discussed earlier. I won't deny it. He loves Jack White and he is a huge influence on out guitarist/singer.

fikus222
12-22-2010, 03:14 PM
If Erika and I still lived in Seattle, we'd totally drive up to see your upcoming show with Oh No! Yoko.

rage patton
12-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Rags To Radio wish you all a Merry Christmas!

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/RagsToRadioChristmas.jpg

If Erika and I still lived in Seattle, we'd totally drive up to see your upcoming show with Oh No! Yoko.

Awww man! That would have been awesome. That show is going to be pretty awesome. Maybe we will have to try and organize a tour down to Cali with them sometime then.

bballarl
12-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Finally had a chance to listen a couple of days ago. Much, much better than the old stuff. The new drummer makes a world of difference, and you guys are writing better songs. Way to push things forward. Props.

rage patton
12-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Finally had a chance to listen a couple of days ago. Much, much better than the old stuff. The new drummer makes a world of difference, and you guys are writing better songs. Way to push things forward. Props.

Thank you for listening Andrew. Glad you dig it! I am also glad your brought up the song writing, because I actually feel like not only are these recordings better, but the songs are better too. We are going to look into getting work Visa's for the States next year. If it happens, would you guys be interested in joining us for part of the tour?

Also, some German website reviewed our EP. We don't know the people who reviewed it and we don't know how they heard of us. Either way, we think it is awesome.

You can view the website with the German text here (http://www.wasser-prawda.de/new2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5811%3Arags-to-radio-with-gratitude-ep&catid=22%3Arock&Itemid=528)

And here is the google translated version into English:

Blues, swing and jazz with a touch of garage rock Rags To Radio play from the Canadian Abbotsford. With their first EP "With Gratitude" it could succeed to become known through out the Vancouver region.

Swing is a delicate music, where everything depends on finesse and accuracy. Most of punk and rockabilly bands, rejoin the American swing revival of the past have failed to achieve Coming Bands. Which does not mean that their boards would have been bad. For grooving and dancing against a charming rock music with a retro-feeling one can really have no objection. But real Swing seldom arises.

Rags to Radio play more in that corner. And they do very well when the five songs of their second EP takes as an example: garage rock with temporary jazz trumpet, I would rather say, as a jazz or blues or even Swing. Brings back memories of some numbers from the White Stripes - if they had played with as a "real" line-up. Or even at times of retro-rock swinger like Royal Crown Revue (Cup Of Tea - anyway, the highlight of the disc) and The New Morty Show. That's consistently fun and curiosity to a complete album.

After Rags to Radio in 2010 occurred at the Olympic Winter Games in different sports facilities from Vancouvcer, they should be with "With Gratitude", the step from the "province " succeed out.

bballarl
12-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Let us know details and we will be there.

rage patton
12-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Like I said, this is just something we have discussed and not actually started looking into. It is something we want to do though. If it happens, I will contact you for sure. Have you guys toured yet? I remember you had a tour set up a while ago, but something fell through? We are in the middle of planning our first tour right now. Its a 10 day mini-tour across 3 provinces. Should be fun.

bballarl
12-27-2010, 10:32 PM
No, we haven't done anything like that yet. We are trying to make any dent at all in the Bay Area before embarking elsewhere. Although we will just bite the bullet and go for it at a certain point. But yeah, should be fun for you guys. Hopefully both your three-province tour and the West Coast tour pan out.

rage patton
12-27-2010, 10:41 PM
We are just starting to really crack the Vancouver scene. It is exciting. We just got an invite to play at The Biltmore, one of my fav Vancouver venues. I have recently seen Surfer Blood and Monotonix there. Hopefully we would be playing with a recognized touring band, but we dont know yet. Anyways, the reason we are touring is our friends in GSTS invited us along with them. They have toured across Canada 3 times and know the ropes to touring. We figured it was too good of an opportunity to pass up. We arent expecting to make money. Hell, we figure we will be lucky if we break even. We are going for the experience and to, hopefully, gain more fans.

bballarl
12-27-2010, 10:45 PM
That's smart. Let me know how it goes.

sbessiso
12-27-2010, 10:45 PM
wow that german review is so random and fucking AWESOME. You guys should try to get a framed copy haha

rage patton
03-25-2011, 10:39 AM
So tonight is the last night of tour. After tonight, we will have played 6 shows in 6 cities (3 different Provinces) in a period of 7 days. It has been so much damn fun it is hard to put into words. If I could make a living doing this... it would really be a dream come true.

fikus222
03-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Congrats, I'm glad everything has been going so well on tour.

rage patton
04-02-2012, 06:19 PM
So Im going to give this thread a shameless bump, because on May 1st my band is going into the studio to record our first full length album. Its been almost 2 years since we recorded our last EP and since then our style has shifted and we have become a lot tighter and more comfortable with our new drummer. I am excited to record these new songs as I feel the band has become better at songwriting over the past year.

We are also excited because we have a small independent record label backing our album. Neptoon Records is a record store that has been active in Vancouver for 30 years and has housed gig for bands from The Sonics to Andrew W.k. Neptoon Records also has an occasionaly active record label, and we are the newest band on that label. Anyways, to help with costs, they asked us to chip in $1,000, so we decided to try "kickstarter" out because we have heard good things. Well, long story short, within a week we met out goal of $1,000 and we are thrilled. I don't want to get into the legal contracts and stuff... but basically, the more of the album we fund, the better. And if we make enough to fund the whole thing, we are going to use that money to put toward a Van for touring.

So, I ask you kind folks here, please pledge my band and you will recieve cool swag in return. Here is the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1175600768/rags-to-radio

If this is tl;dr... Here is short form. My band is recording an album and needs help. See link above.

Pixiessp
04-02-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm in. Good luck!

rage patton
04-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Thank you Joanne!!! You are amazing. Seriously. Too kind.

Also... I just got off the phone and we are in the midst of booking a show in LA. We will be playing at Whiskey A Go Go sometime in December. Hell. Yes.

Sleepingrock
04-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Sweet! I'm in, I get paid on the fifth, now to consider the options.

shakermaker113
04-03-2012, 06:38 AM
does the $1000 "private show" mean what I think it means?

sonofhal
04-03-2012, 06:56 AM
If I book the private show will you fly over to play it?

rage patton
04-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Sweet! I'm in, I get paid on the fifth, now to consider the options.

Awesome! Thanks Reid.

does the $1000 "private show" mean what I think it means?

It can mean whatever you want it to mean.

If I book the private show will you fly over to play it?

While we would love to, that would be quite impractical, as it would cost us much more than $1,000 to get over there. What we could do insyead is play a show via webcam. I think that would be awkward for both parties involved though, so if his does happen, we will work extra hard to make sure it is as awkward as possible.

hawkingvsreeve
04-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Josh if you can get a hold of the files I would be interested in mixing/remixing a track. Just for fun.

TomAz
04-03-2012, 01:02 PM
I am now also in. Good luck Josh.

rage patton
04-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Josh if you can get a hold of the files I would be interested in mixing/remixing a track. Just for fun.

Ooooooo. I like the sound of this. I will talk to the guy recording our album and see what we can do. A remix sounds fun.

I am now also in. Good luck Josh.

Thanks Tom!

bballarl
04-03-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm in. Looking forward to hearing the current Rags to Radio.

rage patton
04-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Hey everyone. One last push... we have SEVEN hours left on our kickstarter. If anyone has anything they are able to pledge, it will be much appreciated. Once the kickstarter has completed, we are going to contact everyone who helped us out, and there are a few people here who are going to be getting personalized thank you videos.

Again, thank you to everyone here who has contributed thus far. If any others of you feel like helping us out in these last few hours, that would be awesome. Thanks everyone!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1175600768/rags-to-radio

P.S. Have you met the band?

87FWPjKchcM

TomAz
04-24-2012, 02:24 PM
VH1 BEHIND THE SCENES WITH RAGS TO RADIO

Sleepingrock
04-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks for reminding me! Maybe I can finally catch you guys come September.