PDA

View Full Version : Beach Boys (with Brian Wilson) 2011

stephen22
12-05-2010, 08:59 AM
They said they would celebrate their 50th anniversary in 2011 and that it may include a reunion show. Coachella would be the perfect spot for such a show.

Neighborhood Creep
12-05-2010, 10:03 AM
They're still alive?

I'd say yes, only if Uncle Jesse from Full House shows up

ivankay
12-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Sunset Beach Boys or Brian solo. Sad to say Brian solo would more than likely be an Outdoor stage event, but hard to argue against a Beach Boys reunion being on the main stage.

rage patton
12-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Beach Boys w/ Brian Wilson headlining a day at Coachella would be absolutely incredible.

If not, Brian Wilson on the Outdoor would be fantastic.

ELECtROjan
12-05-2010, 12:43 PM
want.

ivankay
12-05-2010, 01:04 PM
8NhBeB01U6U

Headlining Beach Boys would be respectful, but have there ever been such good songs for the sunshine as Beach Boys hits? Clip above is I Get Around / Our Prayer / Heroes and Villains.

Carnie100
12-05-2010, 01:04 PM
(Longtime Beach Boys fan here)

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but of the original 5 members:

-Brian Wilson tours on his own solo work with an extraordinary backing band.
-Dennis Wilson died in 1983 following a drowning accident.
-Carl Wilson died of cancer in 1988.
-Mike Love tours as the "Beach Boys" nowadays, but generally he and Brian haven't really gotten along.
-Al Jardine has also done solo work.

So there are still 3 of 5 members alive, but the chances of them coming together to actually all play as the Beach Boys is slim.

If anything, I'd guess that Brian with his solo stuff could happen.

Bumblebee
12-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Firstly, they are playing in Florida on the 17/18 of April which is Sunday/Monday.

They were signed by Capitol in 1962 and some think some 50th anniversary events in 2012. Think one-offs rather than tours.

The Capitol signed group had David Lee Marks on guitar rather than Al Jardine. For me I consider there to be 6 "original" members and 4 are alive. Plus Bruce Johnston has more or less toured, recorded and photographed as a band member since 1965(45 years).

5 Genuine Beach Boys members onstage for an event in 16 months is doable.

AlecEiffel
12-05-2010, 06:52 PM

I know you're trying to be funny, but he actually has been playing shows with Mike Love's current "Beach Boys" lately.

sacleonard
12-05-2010, 08:54 PM
I respect The Beach Boys for their contributions, but I don't want them at the Polo Fields unless GV offers an AARP discount.

tigermilkboy
12-06-2010, 06:01 AM
Feels more forced and past its prime.

Mr.Nipples
12-06-2010, 07:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOZ5dEiZYCo&feature=related

/thread

TheCountofMonteDisco
12-06-2010, 07:58 AM
I respect The Beach Boys for their contributions, but I don't want them at the Polo Fields unless GV offers an AARP discount.

I lol'ed....

Beach Boys would be a huge get for GV.

tigermilkboy
12-06-2010, 08:40 AM

Not really.

stephen22
12-06-2010, 12:15 PM
The living members of the Beach Boys including Brian Wilson would be a huge get IMO.

TheCountofMonteDisco
12-06-2010, 12:19 PM
The living members of the Beach Boys including Brian Wilson would be a huge get IMO.

That. File under 'rare treats.'

tigermilkboy
12-06-2010, 12:23 PM

Just get Brian Wilson, you don't need the rest. I've seen the current "Beach Boys" and they were just okay, adding Brian Wilson won't make that shell of a group any better.
Brian Wilson on his own would be perfect at around sundown-providing his nerve held.

jonesjupiter
12-06-2010, 04:36 PM

Maybe GV could come up with enough cash to convince Jesse to get the Rippers back together if Brian Wilson is busy...

sacleonard
12-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Just get Brian Wilson, you don't need the rest. I've seen the current "Beach Boys" and they were just okay, adding Brian Wilson won't make that shell of a group any better.
Brian Wilson on his own would be perfect at around sundown-providing his nerve held.

I'm ok with this.

RockStr4Life
12-12-2010, 10:01 PM
I think Brian Wilson would be more qualified as a headliner solo than Arcade Fire or Daft Punk.

RockStr4Life
12-12-2010, 10:08 PM
http://www.brianwilson.com/news/press_12-01-10.html

Captain Ahab
12-18-2010, 10:33 AM
I love The Beach Boys, and Brian Wilson in general, but he's depressing live. I saw him live about 8 years ago, he's old and his brain is fried from all of the drugs, and it's really just sad. Not something I would want for Coachella.

Courtney
12-18-2010, 11:13 AM
8NhBeB01U6U

Headlining Beach Boys would be respectful, but have there ever been such good songs for the sunshine as Beach Boys hits? Clip above is I Get Around / Our Prayer / Heroes and Villains.

Wow, Brian Wilson looks absolutely miserable there. Like, unusually miserable.

I think Brian Wilson would be more qualified as a headliner solo than Arcade Fire or Daft Punk.

Obv.

cubrocker
12-18-2010, 11:32 AM
listen to Pet Sounds and compare to the Animal Collective (Feels and previous)

huge similarities

but the wacko-neuroticism of Brian Wilson is all I want on the polo fields. a beach boys set like in the video doesn't appeal to me at all, but I'd dig on Brian Wilson being there. I'm surprised he tours solo stuff though, i thought he had long gone nuts.

thagorillaz
12-27-2010, 03:33 PM
few would miss such an appearance i imagine. i fully support this
-tim

Iamjoeswastdlife
12-28-2010, 12:17 PM
That video of his show was downright awful and I can't imagine him being any better almost 10 years later (Although I openly admit I could be wrong). Meh IMO

canexplain
12-28-2010, 12:41 PM
(Longtime Beach Boys fan here)

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but of the original 5 members:

-Brian Wilson tours on his own solo work with an extraordinary backing band.
-Dennis Wilson died in 1983 following a drowning accident.
-Carl Wilson died of cancer in 1988.
-Mike Love tours as the "Beach Boys" nowadays, but generally he and Brian haven't really gotten along.
-Al Jardine has also done solo work.

So there are still 3 of 5 members alive, but the chances of them coming together to actually all play as the Beach Boys is slim.

If anything, I'd guess that Brian with his solo stuff could happen.

I just saw where today was the day that Dennis drowned all those years ago.

Mr. Fuzz
12-28-2010, 12:54 PM
GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE

canexplain
12-28-2010, 01:03 PM
GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE

Was that for me? Just didn't know you owned this site. I learn something new everyday...

theripped
12-28-2010, 01:10 PM
This sounds like it would make a great evening at The Hollywood Bowl, not Coachella though.

GuyInTucson
12-28-2010, 01:24 PM

Totally disagree here.

Unless Coachella is trying to bring the 50 - 70-something crowd they wouldn't be a "huge get" by any stretch.

People would look at the flyer and go, "OMGZ TEH BEACH BOYS ARE HEADLINING SATURDAY THEYRE SO AWESOME ITS GOING TO BE EPIC" and then when they hit the stage people will realize how weak of a headliner they are.

RODGERRAMJET
12-28-2010, 01:28 PM
It's been quite a while since I've see The Beach Boys live in concert--1987 I think--but I never thought they were a very good live show to be honest. Their records sound so much better; definately a "studio" band. Now, with so many of the original members no longer members, some dead, I question the value of bringing them to Coachella. If it's a '60s act, I'm still gangbusters for bring the original Monkees (including Mike Nesmith) to Coachella 2011.

ivankay
12-28-2010, 01:29 PM
If either was to happen, i don't think headlining would even be in the thought process. Sun needs to be involved.

RODGERRAMJET
12-28-2010, 01:37 PM
If either was to happen, i don't think headlining would even be in the thought process. Sun needs to be involved.

I'd have to agree: I don't think The Monkees should headline Coachella 2011, but I do think they'd fit nicely on the bill and bring-in many patrons, and not just the 50-somethings that grew up with them on the TV show in the '60s, but the younger generation who experienced them for the first time on "Nick At Nite" reruns (in the '90s), etc. Plus, their motion picture, "Head" just got re-released on DVD & Blue Ray by Criterion Collection, plus Rhino Records has just re-released their albums as 2CD (and even 3CD) deluxe editions, so The Monkess are definately getting a big media push right now, something Golden Voice could capitalize on. Oops, I forgot....this is a Beach Boys thread.

Miroir Noir
12-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Everyone does realize that of the four Beach Boys who aren't Brian, two are dead and one is a horrible asshole, right?

thagorillaz
12-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Totally disagree here.

Unless Coachella is trying to bring the 50 - 70-something crowd they wouldn't be a "huge get" by any stretch.

People would look at the flyer and go, "OMGZ TEH BEACH BOYS ARE HEADLINING SATURDAY THEYRE SO AWESOME ITS GOING TO BE EPIC" and then when they hit the stage people will realize how weak of a headliner they are.

why would they be a weak headliner? I dont follow your logic. They are an incredible band, and i think they would put on an incredible show
-tim

ivankay
12-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Everyone does realize that of the four Beach Boys who aren't Brian, two are dead and one is a horrible asshole, right?

i think this is realized. If there was going to be Beach Boy representation, more than likely it's gonna be just Mr. Wilson. It would just be neat if Al and Mike were on stage as well and they were somehow getting along. Good Vibrations with those 3 would be pretty special.

GuyInTucson
12-28-2010, 02:04 PM
why would they be a weak headliner? I dont follow your logic. They are an incredible band, and i think they would put on an incredible show
-tim

Who knows if they would be or not, but there have been less deserving acts in headlining spots over the years (see: Jack Johnson and The Killers)

Either way, i think this is a ridiculously stupid idea. I can't deny their talent or impact on music, but I have always found their music to be overly corny and completely annoying.

Miroir Noir
12-28-2010, 02:17 PM
It's a ridiculously stupid idea just because its not going to happen, irrespective of the merits (or lack thereof) of the music itself. See also: Underground, The Velvet.

Bumblebee
12-28-2010, 03:23 PM

Mike Patton can be an asshole too. Though he's got a little bit more of a sense of houmour.

heart cooks brain
12-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Mike Patton can be an asshole too. Though he's got a little bit more of a sense of houmour.

+ MJK

Bumblebee
12-28-2010, 04:08 PM
+ MJK

Cancel that Smiths reunion GV!!! Their singer can sometimes known as an a-hole!!!

Miroir Noir
12-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Yeah, my "complete asshole" rationale was to be taken as a literal statement that Coachella wouldn't book assholish perfomers, and was completely unmoored from any context at all.

concertgoer
12-28-2010, 04:48 PM

Best post

thagorillaz
12-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Who knows if they would be or not, but there have been less deserving acts in headlining spots over the years (see: Jack Johnson and The Killers)

Either way, i think this is a ridiculously stupid idea. I can't deny their talent or impact on music, but I have always found their music to be overly corny and completely annoying.

wow, im not sure ive ever met someone who doesnt like the beach boys. that makes sense then. to each their own
-tim

nahuatldream
05-17-2011, 09:36 AM
I would love to see Brian Wilson at Coachella, or Red Rocks...man. Anyway, FWIW: http://www.undercover.fm/news/14783-brian-wilson-considers-beach-boys-reunion, I didn't check the reference of the reference (NME sourced Evening Star, lol). Just stokin' the flame...

Nordboy
05-17-2011, 12:10 PM
I could see it happening this year. But I agree with GuyInTucson that it would be good on paper but then it would be pretty disappointing once they started playing. I saw wilson few years back and it was good, but not coachella headline material by any stretch. But then again what do I know. An afternoon main stage slot would work however, and there are some rumors about a reunion happening this year. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-wilson-hints-at-beach-boys-50th-anniversary-reunion-20110516

GuyInTucson
05-17-2011, 03:28 PM
wow, im not sure ive ever met someone who doesnt like the beach boys. that makes sense then. to each their own
-tim

On the flipside, I haven't met too many people that actually like The Beach Boys. But this board is full of diverse music fans so I can see why they are popular here.

Nordboy
05-18-2011, 05:46 AM
-tim The beach boys are one of my favorite bands, but unfortunately it's 2011 and not 1967. Coachella should be about new/upcoming or bands at the top of their game. That's how I feel at least. Don't get me wrong, i would love to see the beach boys with wilson play. But I would rather it not be on polo fields taking a spot away from a potential incredible act like Arcade fire. As mentioned before something like the beach boys sounds good on paper, but then when you see a bunch of sober as a judge 70 year olds take the stage being cheese balls it would surely be disappointing.

dine with a cannibal
05-18-2011, 12:42 PM
If this were to happen Dennis Wilson better come back to life and Uncle Jesse has to come out to sing Forever.

DFrank
05-18-2011, 12:59 PM
As mentioned before something like the beach boys sounds good on paper
and only on paper...
yGRdCHZlCXI

Nordboy
05-21-2011, 08:58 PM
you know, I wish brian would just play alone without his g@y backup band that think they are hot shit.....although, I would still rather have that then foo fighters and coldplay.

Leeartlee
05-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Is this even possible? I haven't checked in on Wilson's mental health lately but isn't he deathly afraid of live performances? He did write "In my room" after all.

Nordboy
05-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Wilson has been touring the past few years. Just not with the surviving members of the beach boys.