PDA

View Full Version : Attention headliners and fans! P.S.A.

faxman75
12-04-2010, 04:31 PM
You best step up your game because last year Jay-Z set the bar. The crowd rocked that shit from start to finish and while it's the artists job to put on a stellar fucking show it's the audiences job to appreciate that shit like no other.

Whatever you do don't make Win Butler beg. Just rock the fuck out you hipsters because Arcade Fire isn't coming to play your average rock show. Also, put your fucking camera phones away and live in the damn moment! Move, sing and rock the fuck out!

See you on the polo fields....

Bud Luster
12-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Jay Z set the bar? please.

faxman75
12-04-2010, 04:42 PM
No other headliner has had the crowd move and dance as much from start to finish. STATED

ivankay
12-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Prince? He had the fields bumping pretty good.

heart cooks brain
12-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Also, put your fucking camera phones away and live in the damn moment! Move, sing and rock the fuck out!

this is the motherfucking truth

Bubba hotep
12-04-2010, 04:56 PM
No other headliner has had the crowd move and dance as much from start to finish. STATED

I think mothafucking Prince might have something to say about that.

faxman75
12-04-2010, 05:12 PM

Yes indeed. He was in my original post but then I decided to be downright crude. :) Prince and Jay-Z it is!

I will say the brakes sorta came on at the one and only low point of Princes set which was during Angel.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-04-2010, 05:13 PM

How many headliners have you seen again?

faxman75
12-04-2010, 05:15 PM
How many headliners have you seen again?

42 YOU ASSHOLE!

Doesn't matter. I've seen enough to know....not even the great Tiesto had as many people dancing.

juloxx
12-04-2010, 05:18 PM

....RATM.....

Neighborhood Creep
12-04-2010, 05:19 PM
....RATM.....

no lie

gaypalmsprings
12-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Madonna

ivankay
12-04-2010, 05:29 PM
....RATM.....

Yes. This was the craziest crowd i ever saw for any headliner. Feared for my saftey at points.

Madonna

Not a headliner.

heart cooks brain
12-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Yes. This was the craziest crowd i ever saw for any headliner. Feared for my saftey at points.

No shit. I saw them at Lolla in '08. 9 seconds in, the entire crowd was boiling. In-fucking-sane.

faxman75
12-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Alright then. New order.

Rage Against the Machine
Jay-Z
Prince

?

Any other nominations?

Gribbz
12-04-2010, 05:41 PM
FOUNTAINS OF WAYNE.

obzen
12-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Oh I get it, faxman got hacked.

gaypalmsprings
12-04-2010, 05:47 PM
he's drunk

HandBanana
12-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Art Brut set the bar in 2006 and it has yet to be bested.
That you pussies cannot see this is a result of
A. How high it was set
B. You farty vaginas were off doing Barstow bathtub meth during Tool's 37 "softsoftsoftLOUDLOUDLOUD" songs

Some bands are useless without a big stage, some without a big light show.
Art Brut proved that you dont even need an audience

obzen
12-04-2010, 06:06 PM
TULE DIDN'T EVEN PLAY COOCHELLA IN 2005 STFU HANDBANANRAMA!!!!!!!1!

HandBanana
12-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Someone should register the username Handbanambla

sbessiso
12-04-2010, 09:34 PM
can someone please get faxman away from a goddamn computer

ToddThaGod
12-04-2010, 10:07 PM
faxman is great. he doesn't dickride duran duran either. :yyablo

sbessiso
12-04-2010, 10:18 PM
he doesn't dickride duran duran either

you say that like its a good thing?

nathanfairchild
12-04-2010, 11:09 PM
No shit. I saw them at Lolla in '08. 9 seconds in, the entire crowd was boiling. In-fucking-sane.

I was there too. Most out of control show I've ever seen.

heart cooks brain
12-05-2010, 06:41 AM

It was fucking nuts. My uncle and I were heading out of the crowd to get a more comfortable spot, and this girl was trying to get out too...she was hurt or freaking out or something. So we let her go by and start to head out again. 30 seconds later, somehow the same girl is behind us again. Happened three times. Then once we got to the outskirts, along the western edge of the field, these 2 guys spent 40 minutes of the set just brawling. Couldn't have been more perfect. Other than, you know, all those people getting crushed.

oftheheartofthesoul
12-05-2010, 07:45 AM

For awhile, but a lot of people got tired and left. I remember walking like a drone back to the campsite by the second encore, with all the other drones.

obzen
12-05-2010, 08:10 AM
After Prince's set, I remember returning to the adjacent campground to the the collective cheering of the masses, whom I incited on that glorious night; crushingblows.

obzen
12-05-2010, 08:13 AM
My feet were also fucked off from standing +5 hrs., watching Kraftwerk/Portishead/Prince.

Deathblows.

guedita
12-05-2010, 08:50 AM
What the shit is this, faxy? What the shit is this shit?!?!?!

Coachella Bound
12-05-2010, 09:19 AM
uhhh......... Jack Johnson ring a fuckin bell.....??? Babies were made on the polo fields that night, thank you very much.

haaaaa, jigga man back up headliner mc.

faxman75
12-05-2010, 09:26 AM
you say that like its a good thing?

Trust me Salah, you can do better than those old talentless queens.

sbessiso
12-05-2010, 10:49 AM
I've seen Duran Duran thankyouverymuch and it was one of the funnest nights ever. A blistering set consisting of nothing but hits while Simon *swoon* LeBon wore a blazer with the union jack on it made entirely out of bejewels. I remember like it was yesterday, I had to lay down and try to process what just happened after the show.

Closing the outdoor plz.

/cool story brah

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-05-2010, 11:00 AM
can someone please get faxman away from a goddamn computer

What the shit is this, faxy? What the shit is this shit?!?!?!

I concur with the 2 posts above. This is now the 2nd worst thread ever on the boardz.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-05-2010, 11:01 AM
I've seen Duran Duran thankyouverymuch and it was one of the funnest nights ever. A blistering set consisting of nothing but hits while Simon *swoon* LeBon wore a blazer with the union jack on it made entirely out of bejewels. I remember like it was yesterday, I had to lay down and try to process what just happened after the show.

Closing the outdoor plz.

/cool story brah

I've seen Salah nekkid.

/cool story brah

grannock
12-05-2010, 11:30 AM

I made it to the rail.

A security guy yelled and me and these other dudes that were just pushing our way to the front when everyone was supposed to be taking 3 steps back. He was like "You, stop pushing!"

Honestly though, this concert was not even in comparison to the late 90's shows.

nathanfairchild
12-05-2010, 01:56 PM
I made it to the rail.

A security guy yelled and me and these other dudes that were just pushing our way to the front when everyone was supposed to be taking 3 steps back. He was like "You, stop pushing!"

Honestly though, this concert was not even in comparison to the late 90's shows.

Me and my friends camped out for eight hours for the show and it was so worth it. The crowd was going nuts an hour before the show even started. About half way through the show was one of the few times I actually considered getting pulled out of a crowd.

cutterbutter
12-05-2010, 02:34 PM
For starters, I think anyone that camps the main stage for the headliner all day is doing Coachella (or any festival) wrong. Just go to their own show.

The thing that bothers me the most about this though is when the entire rail is waiting for the headliner and they can't give any respect or attention to the 6-7 bands before them, while the big fans are all right behind them freaking out. At least offer to switch places with them for the set or get into it. Totally kills the mood.

rage patton
12-05-2010, 02:40 PM
I concur with the 2 posts above. This is now the 2nd worst thread ever on the boardz.

Add me to this list.

I think Faxy is broken. The final straw was people suggesting G'n'R have no place at Coachella while Duran Duran does.

faxman75
12-05-2010, 02:45 PM
lol nope, GnR really don't have a place at Coachella. I made that clear. Duran Duran are just pathetic. Like, really bad.

cutterbutter
12-05-2010, 02:47 PM
:yyablo

faxman75
12-05-2010, 02:48 PM

oh noes i'm worst everz!?

faxman75
12-05-2010, 02:49 PM
:yyablo

Like, really, like pathetic.....like.

stinkbutt
12-05-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm not a fan of Duran Duran by any means, but they are not that bad (worse bands have played Coachella) and would be billed pretty high up

ivankay
12-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Duran Duran are just pathetic. Like, really bad.

i will disagree with this. Seen them twice. The first time was so good it prompted the second and that was pretty great.

cutterbutter
12-05-2010, 02:52 PM
When did you see them? I looked up some recent videos and they seem very hit or miss.

captncrzy
12-05-2010, 02:57 PM
You best step up your game because last year Jay-Z set the bar. The crowd rocked that shit from start to finish and while it's the artists job to put on a stellar fucking show it's the audiences job to appreciate that shit like no other.

Whatever you do don't make Win Butler beg. Just rock the fuck out you hipsters because Arcade Fire isn't coming to play your average rock show. Also, put your fucking camera phones away and live in the damn moment! Move, sing and rock the fuck out!

See you on the polo fields....

Ok, I'm just going to have to point out that this is a) an obvious bait and b) clearly a hack. No way Mark wrote this. Too many of the words are spelled correctly.

ivankay
12-05-2010, 03:00 PM
When did you see them? I looked up some recent videos and they seem very hit or miss.

It was a bit ago...round 2002 and 2003. They were tight and the show just ooozed of one great song after another.

captncrzy
12-05-2010, 03:07 PM
I've seen DD twice and they're pretty fun. Simon's voice can be wonky at times, but that was always the case (remember the Save a Prayer voice crack during Live Aid?)

sbessiso
12-05-2010, 03:33 PM
I've seen Salah nekkid.

/cool story brah

Living in that fantasy world, eh?

nathanfairchild
12-05-2010, 04:35 PM
For starters, I think anyone that camps the main stage for the headliner all day is doing Coachella (or any festival) wrong. Just go to their own show.

The thing that bothers me the most about this though is when the entire rail is waiting for the headliner and they can't give any respect or attention to the 6-7 bands before them, while the big fans are all right behind them freaking out. At least offer to switch places with them for the set or get into it. Totally kills the mood.

I agree with you for the most part and this is the only time I've ever done an all day wait for a band. But lolla is a lot different than Coachella and there weren't that many bands that day that I was really interested in checking out besides rage.

cutterbutter
12-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Yah obviously its situational, and Rage would definitely be one of the rarer acts worth the wait for. But on the other side of the argument, I don't know if I would want to be on the rail for Rage. I'd rather see all the chaos going on behind me, along with the show. To each their own.

nathanfairchild
12-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Oh i see. Yeah, I might have phrased that wrong. We were in the front section not the rail.

nbvcide
12-05-2010, 06:09 PM

Rage, 07.

nbvcide
12-05-2010, 06:13 PM
I made it to the rail.

yeah...that hasnt happened at every show ever.

nbvcide
12-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Me and my friends camped out for eight hours for the show and it was so worth it. The crowd was going nuts an hour before the show even started.
yeah...i think thats called LCD Soundsystem. why the fuck didnt u just go to the staples center to see him the week before?

cutterbutter
12-05-2010, 06:23 PM
yeah...i think thats called LCD Soundsystem. why the fuck didnt u just go to the staples center to see him the week before?

He was talking about Rage at Lolla.

nathanfairchild
12-05-2010, 06:27 PM
I was and I'm from Oklahoma currently living in Texas so seeing Rage is something that was kinda a once in a lifetime thing for me.

BayAreaIsBetter
12-05-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm pretty sure Sir Paul rocked Coachella harder than Jay-Z. I saw Jay for one song, the crowed was whatever...not very impressive.

sacleonard
12-05-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm pretty sure Sir Paul rocked Coachella harder than Jay-Z. I saw Jay for one song, the crowed was whatever...not very impressive.

I'm not sure if it was because it was the anniversary of Linda's death, but Macca was actually pretty subdued for the first hour. Things didn't really pick up until the second half. The same may be said for The Cure in 2009, who usually take an hour to find their rhythm.

sacleonard
12-05-2010, 09:04 PM

Agreed. I've never done it, as it contradicts the idea of a festival for me. As for Prince, a couple of people from our group were able to easily move within 20-30 rows within a half hour of his start time, while the rest of us hung back and enjoyed the set.

Milky
12-05-2010, 10:03 PM
I can't even think of one band worth waiting on the rail all day for...

nathanfairchild
12-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Agreed. I've never done it, as it contradicts the idea of a festival for me. As for Prince, a couple of people from our group were able to easily move within 20-30 rows within a half hour of his start time, while the rest of us hung back and enjoyed the set.

I agree with all of this about waiting all day for one band but this was an exception I had to make. If you were there you'd understand. It was packed all the way back to the sound booth at noon that day so unless you wanted to watch from a distance, that's all you could do.

BayAreaIsBetter
12-05-2010, 11:26 PM
I think they should do a better job of scheduling aesthetically similar bands together on the same stage; yo la tengo, spoon and pavement was a step in the right direction. If Belle and Sebastian opens for Bright Eyes opens for AF on the coachella stage you can bet i'll be there the whole time.

sacleonard
12-05-2010, 11:55 PM
I agree with all of this about waiting all day for one band but this was an exception I had to make. If you were there you'd understand. It was packed all the way back to the sound booth at noon that day so unless you wanted to watch from a distance, that's all you could do.

I was there, and I get the RATM reunion. That was a big show, and it was definitely packed early on. I remember catching Crowded House from the side earlier that evening.

faxman75
12-06-2010, 06:03 AM
It's worth noting that rail isn't even optimal at most every big festival main stages as you tend to hear the sound just out of the monitors and less out of the giant speaker stacks that hang over head. I've ended up with rail a couple of times for shows and eventually moved back because to me hearing is more important than seeing.

faxman75
12-06-2010, 06:12 AM

You're high. The first 45 minutes of Paul had the polo fields ready to question the entire booking. The last hour kicked major fucking ass but the crowd was dead for many songs during Macca's set.

Look, it's different music. You don't have to be personally offended that the crowd moved less during your favorit headliner. Some headliners aren't exactly hard rocking or don't motivate 60+ thousand to move throughout. Valid cases have been made for three artists at this point for crazy crowd energy from start to finish. Yes, I realize that you can be excited and not move or dance. Yes, I realize that some artists have even been better musicially or put on a better show without people dancing or moving as much too but the 3 mainstage headliners who were able to keep people going from start to finish were.

Rage Against the Machine
Jay-Z
Prince

ShyGuy75
12-06-2010, 06:25 AM
http://failsalon.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/faceplant065qm.jpg

sbessiso
12-06-2010, 07:51 AM
You're high. The first 45 minutes of Paul had the polo fields ready to question the entire booking.

Source?

heart cooks brain
12-06-2010, 09:28 AM

I got a decent spot on the right side infront of the video screen about halfway through Lupe's set. it wasn't difficult. I also bailed after the second song to watch the madness .

faxman75
12-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Source?

Me and the wrist I wanted to slit by the time he finished the beautiful and depressing song "my love" which he dedicated to Linda.

thom cobain
12-06-2010, 10:21 AM
I agree the the first part of Paul's performance was wack. Certainly did not have the crowd going from start to finish.

Prince I believe holds the crown for best dance party headliner on the field. Not Jay-Z, and not Rage. I would say that the Beastie Boys had the crowd dancing more than both of them.

People were excited for Rage, but in the same way that they were excited for Tool. They pushed each other.

faxman75
12-06-2010, 10:42 AM
I would agee with all that. Prince vs Jay-Z would be interesting to see from an ariel perspective. Like I said I know the crowd was sort of not dancing and mesmerized during songs like "Angel" and the cover of "Creep". I wonder if there were a few Jay-Z songs where the same thing was going on.

I was roughly in the same spot for both sets and Prince was much more packed in, in front of the sound board and the Jay-Z crowd had a bit of room to move too.

I would also argue that the excited Rage crowd was not only more of the push and grr type of crowd, once you got behind the soundboard you saw scores of people who used to be closer but are too fat and out of shape to maintain rocking that hard for the full show. Either way the excitement and anticipation leading up to Prince and Rage were higher than i've ever seen for anyone else.

Except maybe Radiohead or Yorke. There is some crazy spiritual thing going on there that I simply don't get or participate in.

WhyTheLongFace
12-06-2010, 10:49 AM
I would agee with all that. Prince vs Jay-Z would be interesting to see from an ariel perspective. Like I said I know the crowd was sort of not dancing and mesmerized during songs like "Angel" and the cover of "Creep". I wonder if there were a few Jay-Z songs where the same thing was going on.

"Dreams" over Aerosmith "Dream On"

Jay-Z, hip-hop's biggest star (InB4 Eminem argument) talking to B.I.G in front of thousands of people at the Polo Fields was really surreal to me. It was like he said "B.I.G we made it. Hip Hop did it. Brooklyn did it."

But it's also one of my favorite songs so that's why I was deep in it

FoxeyLady
12-06-2010, 10:53 AM
I've never experienced a sing along to a first song of any headlining set like I did during "Run This Town" by Jay-Z at Coachella.

Rage was definitely the most ape shit crowd I've ever seen at Coachella start to finish.

sbessiso
12-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Me and the wrist I wanted to slit by the time he finished the beautiful and depressing song "my love" which he dedicated to Linda.

you are so full of it!!!

GuyInTucson
12-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Anyone questioning how legit Jay-Z's performance was probably doesn't like his music and probably didn't watch him. If you fall under either of those categories then leave your opinion out of it.

Jay-Z killed it.

Mr. Porter
12-06-2010, 11:09 AM
"Dreams" over Aerosmith "Dream On"

Jay-Z, hip-hop's biggest star (InB4 Eminem argument) talking to B.I.G in front of thousands of people at the Polo Fields was really surreal to me. It was like he said "B.I.G we made it. Hip Hop did it. Brooklyn did it."

But it's also one of my favorite songs so that's why I was deep in it
Haha must have been the shrooms

WhyTheLongFace
12-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Haha must have been the shrooms

hahah nah my shroom high was already gone by the time Jay was on. I think.

That song is just compelling

"Had a dream I said, about who he said?
about B.I.G. I said, that's big he said
Dig what he said, proceed he said
Indeed I said, so - breathe I did
Don't repeat what I say I said, he said nothing
He agreed with his head, he just nodded like this
What I believe to be a yes I repeated what was said
It came to me like a well as even I said
"What's the deal, playboy?" was the greeting he said
First thing I wanted to know, what's the reason he was dead?
"More money -- more problems, better believe it," he said
"Careful what you wish for you might receive it," he said
I see I said, jealousy I said
Got the whole industry mad at me I said
Then B.I. said, "Hov' remind yourself
nobody built like you, you've designed yourself"
I agree I said, my one of a kind self
Get stoned every day like Jesus did
What he said, I said, has been said before
"Just keep doing your thing," he said, say no more
"

And I don't know after reading this board hating on Jay-Z and going into the crowd as LCD finished and hearing douchebags scream "Fuck Jay-Z, I'm a go watch Deadmau5" it was like his son gto shut up critics and keep it moving.

Or maybe it was the shrooms lol

faxman75
12-06-2010, 11:26 AM
you are so full of it!!!

I walked to the back of the lawn because I was somewhat bored. I found Blinken and sat in the grass with him watching and then finally the rest of the set came and all was right with the world but the beginning of his set was brutal. I remember he even sounded a bit loopy and was making odd comments. Someone asked me if I thought Macca was drunk. He turned that shit around though and killed it in the second half.

obzen
12-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Fax, you got it wrong.

Prince>>>Rage Against The Machine>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jay-z

Hova...

sbessiso
12-06-2010, 11:42 AM
4G2ZSYXdX-w

/thread.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Fever Ray.

faxman75
12-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Main stage headliners.

Bjork. Talk about a party that was off the hook! errrr not so much I suppose.

obzen
12-06-2010, 12:41 PM
I'd actually put Bjork over Jay-Z, easily.

stinkbutt
12-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Bjork in 07 was amazing. Most the time people were just too amazed to move, but there were a lot of people dancing around me.

faxman75
12-06-2010, 12:57 PM
I'd actually put Bjork over Jay-Z, easily.

Oh Obzey...

Bjork was fantastic by the way and the Cure were great too though I don't understand why either would be mentioned when talking about the crowd dancing or rocking out.

liquidsnake28
12-06-2010, 12:57 PM
4G2ZSYXdX-w

/thread.

Why, oh why did Throbbing Gristle have to conflict with this? Those were probably my two favorite coachella performances scheduled at the same time. I saw plenty of the Cure before TG and I even made it up to rail after TG but still ... That ended up being about the worst conflict ever for me.

djandrews25
12-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I am not a fan of jayz, i did enjoy a few of the songs but the crowd didnt seem nearly as into it as you make it seem. If the crowd was that into it, why did he keep skipping songs because the crowd was dead and saying shit like, "they arent ready for that one?"

FoxeyLady
12-06-2010, 01:12 PM
I am not a fan of jayz, i did enjoy a few of the songs but the crowd didnt seem nearly as into it as you make it seem. If the crowd was that into it, why did he keep skipping songs because the crowd was dead and saying shit like, "they arent ready for that one?"

I'm pretty sure that only happened once, when he pulled out Ain't No *****, which most fans had probably never heard. I was kinda bummed actually, because I really wanted to hear that song.

Also, I was pretty close so I don't know what the crowd was like farther back. It was pretty cool looking back at all the diamonds in the air though.

ShyGuy75
12-06-2010, 01:18 PM
lolla crowd > coachella crowd

kg8o8rzHLIk

faxman75
12-06-2010, 01:25 PM

ha ha ha

"why did he keep skipping songs"

You're right. He would start songs all night and the crowd was completely dead so he had to keep trying different ones until the crowd responded appropriately.

He teased a song and thought better of it. Nothing more. He never kept skipping songs.

Try again.

faxman75
12-06-2010, 01:26 PM

kg8o8rzHLIk

Nope.

6V41qkhU-98

djandrews25
12-06-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm pretty sure that only happened once, when he pulled out Ain't No *****, which most fans had probably never heard. I was kinda bummed actually, because I really wanted to hear that song.

Also, I was pretty close so I don't know what the crowd was like farther back. It was pretty cool looking back at all the diamonds in the air though.

I remember 2 songs being skipped. Maybe more.

FurtherDownTheRabbitHole
12-06-2010, 01:30 PM
/worst thread i've read in awhile

ShyGuy75
12-06-2010, 01:30 PM
was at both shows and shockingly, it wasn't even close. you can zip up now.

Mr. Dylanja
12-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Jay-Z has teased songs each of the three times I've seen him. The man simply has too many hits to play them all. He likes to have his dj drop little snippets of them just to get a crowd reaction, it's all part of his show.

I was inside the front barricade about halfway up and the everybody around me knew the majority of the songs.

The deep cut that Coachella got and Bonnaroo didn't was Where I'm From :pulse Probably my favorite track from Reasonable Doubt and the last song I'd ever expect to hear, awesome.

faxman75
12-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Shyguy, I'll zip up when I say you're finished pal. Good boy.

sbessiso
12-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Why, oh why did Throbbing Gristle have to conflict with this? Those were probably my two favorite coachella performances scheduled at the same time. I saw plenty of the Cure before TG and I even made it up to rail after TG but still ... That ended up being about the worst conflict ever for me.

First time I ever cried at a show. Like tears streaming down my cheeks. It was quite an experience

faxman75
12-06-2010, 01:36 PM
He likes to have his dj drop little snippets of them just to get a crow reaction, it's all part of his show.

ding ding ding

Mr. Dylanja
12-06-2010, 01:37 PM
I see I said, jealousy I said
Got the whole industry mad at me I said
Then B.I. said, "Hov' remind yourself
nobody built like you, you've designed yourself"

So sick.

djandrews25
12-06-2010, 01:38 PM
ha ha ha

"why did he keep skipping songs"

You're right. He would start songs all night and the crowd was completely dead so he had to keep trying different ones until the crowd responded appropriately.

He teased a song and thought better of it. Nothing more. He never kept skipping songs.

Try again.

Your excuse is he thought better of it? Im sure it had nothing to do with the fact that the crowd was quiet for the songs skipped.

djandrews25
12-06-2010, 01:40 PM
At least dylan knows what was up.

GuyInTucson
12-06-2010, 01:42 PM
I remember 2 songs being skipped. Maybe more.

Then your memory needs to be tested. He "skipped" one song.

djandrews25
12-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Oh my memory doesnt need to be tested, it sucks ass.

juloxx
12-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Say what you want too say about if his set was amazing or not, but what I do know is he played this. And with this tune being dropped, booties inevitably started gyrating.

nG8o_9RliwU

This was one of the songs he teased btw. And I know for a fact it got as much of a reaction as any other one of his big songs.

Ill bash Jay-Z here and there but hearing him drop that put a big smile on my face. I really did like how he played a lot of songs that I wasnt expecting to hear. Too many artists have predictable sets song wise.

liquidsnake28
12-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Your excuse is he thought better of it? Im sure it had nothing to do with the fact that the crowd was quiet for the songs skipped.

Psssst hint, hint, he was being sarcastic.

faxman75
12-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Of course Dylan knows what's up as did the rest of us who actually watched the set.

You're also contradicting yourself. Dylan is saying what the rest of us said. Jay-Z didn't skip songs based on crowd responses several times throughout the night. That was in your own mind. ;)

obzen
12-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Hips gyrate, booties shake.

GuyInTucson
12-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Oh my memory doesnt need to be tested, it sucks ass.

Fair enough

Gribbz
12-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Fever Ray.

/thread

Mr. Dylanja
12-06-2010, 01:56 PM
says Mr. I regret not seeing more of Jay-Z

djandrews25
12-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Of course Dylan knows what's up as did the rest of us who actually watched the set.

You're also contradicting yourself. Dylan is saying what the rest of us said. Jay-Z didn't skip songs based on crowd responses several times throughout the night. That was in your own mind. ;)

I watched the whole set. But is he thought better the same as saying he always teases? No it isnt. Also, if the crowd went crazy for the song he skipped like they did for his popular hits would he still have skipped it?
My point isnt that his set was bad at all. In fact i was pretty impressed with how much he involved the crowd. But saying he set the bar is a stretch.

grannock
12-06-2010, 02:27 PM
I can't even think of one band worth waiting on the rail all day for...

Gorillaz was totally worth it!

faxman75
12-06-2010, 02:28 PM
I watched the whole set. But is he thought better the same as saying he always teases? No it isnt. Also, if the crowd went crazy for the song he skipped like they did for his popular hits would he still have skipped it?
My point isnt that his set was bad at all. In fact i was pretty impressed with how much he involved the crowd. But saying he set the bar is a stretch.

How is it a stretch? You're kind of all over the place with your opinion.

If the crowd was that into it, why did he keep skipping songs because the crowd was dead and saying shit like, "they arent ready for that one?"

but then you say...

My point isnt that his set was bad at all. In fact i was pretty impressed with how much he involved the crowd.

So, the crowd was dead but you were impressed with how much he involved....the dead crowd?

bobchella
12-06-2010, 02:28 PM

kg8o8rzHLIk

WOW!!!! What a fucking JOKE! I live in Chicago and go to both fests and you couldn't be further from the truth.

djandrews25
12-06-2010, 02:32 PM
During the song he skipped, yes it was dead. .

venturas90sgirl
12-06-2010, 02:38 PM
As far as the Lolla crowd goes, I thought there was just as much energy as Coachella but remember the venue is TWICE AS LARGE and had the same amount of people as Coachella. I had a blast at both, met great people and saw some truly amazing shows.

I'm 50/50 about this. In most cases when I wanted a great spot for a headliner I got there only an hour/90 minutes beforehand and practically made it to the front. But again it all depends on what's playing beforehand if I want to get there early.

I'm in the Jay-Z rocked it camp. I wasn't a believer before the show but some good people (looking at you faxman) convinced me and it was a great decision.

stinkbutt
12-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Fever Ray or PiL were better decisions

ADrunkPoet
12-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Split Jay-Z and Fever Ray about even, since I saw Fever Ray at The Glasshouse in 2009.

Both were good choices. Jay-Z was much better than I would have expected.

nathanfairchild
12-06-2010, 03:00 PM

kg8o8rzHLIk

I was too busy rocking out at Soundgarden.

ShyGuy75
12-06-2010, 03:02 PM
WOW!!!! What a fucking JOKE! I live in Chicago and go to both fests and you couldn't be further from the truth.

welcome to the party. up until this past year, i would have agreed with you.

venturas90sgirl
12-06-2010, 03:05 PM

As was I my friend, and I still stand by that decision firmly.

menikmati
12-06-2010, 03:08 PM
You're high. The first 45 minutes of Paul had the polo fields ready to question the entire booking.

wtf? This is the stupidest thing I've read on here in a while.

ShyGuy75
12-06-2010, 03:21 PM
faxman came to paul's set expecting a giant dance party. when he didn't get it, he punished everyone by walking to the back of the crowd.

i was at neither, but from what i saw, tiesto had the crowd jumping more than jay z.

earn your pay and lock this thread, menik.

obzen
12-06-2010, 03:23 PM
ha!

faxman75
12-06-2010, 03:43 PM
faxman came to paul's set expecting a giant dance party. when he didn't get it, he punished everyone by walking to the back of the crowd.

i was at neither, but from what i saw, tiesto had the crowd jumping more than jay z.

earn your pay and lock this thread, menik.

The McCartney Dance Party was EPIC!

Menik, you're kidding yourself if you think McCartney was amazing from the get go. He started slow. If that's the stupidest thing you've read on here in a while you need a comprehension class, i'm far from the only person to think this. Come on.

sbessiso
12-06-2010, 03:45 PM
I was entranced by Macca from the get go. He was radiating positive energy from the second he walked on-stage. Faxy, you're just kind of crazy and have DEFINITELY been listening to a little too much GNR

I'dDoItAllAgain
12-06-2010, 03:53 PM
...and have DEFINITELY been listening to a little too much GNR
:rotfl

Love ya.

HandBanana
12-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I was entranced by Macca from the get go. He was radiating positive energy from the second he walked on-stage. Faxy, you're just kind of crazy and have DEFINITELY been listening to a little too much GNR

Sbessio: while I understand you not wanting to miss any of the legend McCartney's set, you missed out on a giant sweaty tent of hot Australian dudes in the Sahara at that very moment (Presets) and could have gotten some pretty serious shirtless hugs from dudes that may have wanted to "root" you, footie-player style.

The regret is yours my friend.

Gribbz
12-06-2010, 04:06 PM
says Mr. I regret not seeing more of Jay-Z
Jay-Z was in Phoenix AND Tucson last year... he'll be back. Fever Ray will probably never set foot in Arizona. I made the right choice.

Sbessio: while I understand you not wanting to miss any of the legend McCartney's set, you missed out on a giant sweaty tent of hot Australian dudes in the Sahara at that very moment (Presets) and could have gotten some pretty serious shirtless hugs from dudes that may have wanted to "root" you, footie-player style.

The Presets were a "must see" for me in 2009... until I saw the set times. It was a no brainer for me. The Presets will tour the States again... and I'll be able to score a good seat for less than $300 bucks. Can't say the same for Paul.

sbessiso
12-06-2010, 04:09 PM

Eh, its alright. Not 10 minutes ago a seriously hunky, sexy, "straight" guy just left my apartment covered in sweat, hair all disheveled and probably won't be able to shit straight for a week.

I dont need no Sahara for that

HandBanana
12-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Jay-Z was in Phoenix AND Tucson last year... he'll be back. Fever Ray will probably never set foot in Arizona. I made the right choice.

The Presets were a "must see" for me in 2009... until I saw the set times. It was a no brainer for me. The Presets will tour the States again... and I'll be able to score a good seat for less than $300 bucks. Can't say the same for Paul.

We still saw like 2 hours of Paul. It worked out.

faxman75
12-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Eh, its alright. Not 10 minutes ago a seriously hunky, sexy, "straight" guy just left my apartment covered in sweat, hair all disheveled and probably won't be able to shit straight for a week.

/thread & sigged

bobchella
welcome to the party. up until this past year, i would have agreed with you.

Yeah but the crowd at Lolla sucks EVERY year. I think it's the whole urban/no-camping thing that ruins it but who knows. Maybe it's because I spend three days within a mile of Perry Farrell

Distorted_Jungle

HAHA! That was funny, me and my wife were in there and realized how much the gays love the Presets.

HandBanana
12-06-2010, 04:14 PM

Yeah but he probably didnt use his cute accent to exclaim "Im gonna crack you open like a can of Foster's on the barbie until ya cry like a Sheila, mate!" during the butt-coitus.

Gribbz
12-06-2010, 04:17 PM
We still saw like 2 hours of Paul. It worked out.

To each his own. I didn't want to miss any Beatles songs. Not saying this is your view, but a lot of people think Paul waited over an hour before he busted out the classics.

HandBanana
12-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Oh naw its cool man. Im not saying you made a bad decision at all.
Im just giving Sbezz shit for missing a change to get his Vegemite on.

faxman75
12-06-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't think anyone thinks he waited that long. I'm also not saying there weren't any hits in the first 30-45 minutes. I'm saying after the initial excitement of him hitting the stage, he slowly killed a bit of it with each song up to and including the song for Linda and then hit it out of the fucking park!

Gribbz
12-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Yeah but he probably didnt use his cute accent to exclaim "Im gonna crack you open like a can of Foster's on the barbie until ya cry like a Sheila, mate!" during the butt-coitus.
Don't get me wrong, I REALLY wanted to see The Presets... just didn't work out.

I don't think anyone thinks he waited that long.

I've actually heard a lot of people say that. Really no point in arguing about it though. It's silly.

HandBanana
12-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Coming over after Presets, we missed the bolded songs it seems....

Main set: Jet / Drive My Car / Only Mama Knows / Flaming Pie / Got to Get You Into My Life / Let Me Roll It (with a coda of Purple Haze) / Honey Hush / Highway / The Long and Winding Road / My Love / Blackbird / Here Today / Dance Tonight / Calico Skies / Mrs. Vanderbilt / Eleanor Rigby / Sing the Changes / Band on the Run / Back in the U.S.S.R. / Something / I’ve Got a Feeling / Paperback Writer / A Day in the Life > Give Peace a Chance / Let It Be / Live and Let Die / Hey Jude

First encore: Birthday / Can’t Buy Me Love / Lady Madonna

Second encore: Yesterday / Helter Skelter / Get Back / Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) > The End

Out of all those I really only regret missing "Got to Get You", "Let Me Roll It", "Winding Road" and "Jet" so it wasnt too damaging.

Now if he had opened with "Venus and Mars / Rock Show" I would have been mad jealous.

sbessiso
12-06-2010, 04:23 PM

I hope The Presets play again next year.

Distorted_Jungle
12-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Oh naw its cool man. Im not saying you made a bad decision at all.
Im just giving Sbezz shit for missing a change to get his Vegemite on.

You aren't the only one who chose The Presets over sir paul, I didn't watch any of his set since I'm not big on the beatles at all.

Gribbz
12-06-2010, 04:27 PM
I hope The Presets play again next year.

I think someone mentioned a new album and that they're open to ideas in regards to touring.

Good sign I'd say.

Mr. Dylanja
12-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Just to get back to the thread title...

ioXd8A8guUA

I shoot at you actors like movie directors

menikmati
12-06-2010, 04:45 PM
To each his own. I didn't want to miss any Beatles songs. Not saying this is your view, but a lot of people think Paul waited over an hour before he busted out the classics.

Okay seriously, anyone who even glanced or heard a paul mccartney concert in the last 25 years knew going in that he saves all the big Beatles hits for the last part of his set...I mean why wouldn't he? It was the EXACT same thing he did at Glastonbury in 2004, his 2002 tour, his 2005 tour, summer 2008 shows and so on ...I mean really, anyone who is gonna act disappointed or think Paul "waited too long" to play his classics is just an idiot, because he's been doing the same set since like 1989.

Mr. Dylanja
12-06-2010, 04:53 PM
You aren't the only one who chose The Presets over sir paul, I didn't watch any of his set since I'm not big on the beatles at all.

y2QUspW0OZQ

:pulse

concertgoer
12-06-2010, 04:54 PM

That was a big misktake

faxman75
12-06-2010, 06:24 PM
So much GLOW lol

5jHZzwt_O54

nathanfairchild
12-06-2010, 06:33 PM
That was a big misktake

Wrong. This was Soundgarden's 3rd show in 13 years and aside from two songs on Conan they haven't done any other shows. Arcade Fire is gonna be touring next spring so if I wanna see them I can. Can't say the same about Soundgarden.

FoxeyLady
12-06-2010, 06:42 PM
The deep cut that Coachella got and Bonnaroo didn't was Where I'm From :pulse Probably my favorite track from Reasonable Doubt and the last song I'd ever expect to hear, awesome.

In My Lifetime Vol. 1 :nono

The fact that he pulled that song out was pretty sweet though.

Mr. Dylanja
12-06-2010, 06:52 PM
That's embarrassing, not sure why I did that, Friend or Foe would be pretty sweet too.

I always get pissed when he asks the audience to name a song and they never give him something old school and obscure.

Wheres the beef?
12-06-2010, 06:55 PM
y2QUspW0OZQ

Haha yes! I regret nothing!

stellarpoet22
12-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Worst thread ever

Distorted_Jungle
12-06-2010, 09:06 PM
y2QUspW0OZQ

Haha yes! I regret nothing!

EXACTLY!

sbessiso
12-06-2010, 09:08 PM
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/7/2010/06/image_rave_legend_2.jpg

venturas90sgirl
12-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Lol nice pic. They're almost as nice looking as the seven or eight cute Australians I danced with the year before during Pendulum. Needless to say, one of my top Coachella highlights.

Wrong. This was Soundgarden's 3rd show in 13 years and aside from two songs on Conan they haven't done any other shows. Arcade Fire is gonna be touring next spring so if I wanna see them I can. Can't say the same about Soundgarden.

EXACTLY!!! My line of reasoning as well.

Mr. Porter
12-06-2010, 10:10 PM
I was about to hate on that dude who said where i'm from is from reasonable doubt. lol it's all good you're like one out of ten in the crowd who knew that particular track

sacleonard
12-06-2010, 10:42 PM
/worst thread i've read in awhile

This.
(and yet I'm posting here)

sacleonard
12-06-2010, 10:42 PM
First time I ever cried at a show. Like tears streaming down my cheeks. It was quite an experience

I think I cried during Happy Mondays, but it wasn't out of joy.

sacleonard
12-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Fever Ray or PiL were better decisions

PiL was probably my favorite Coachella set ever.

uERYlg8XCf4

Distorted_Jungle
12-07-2010, 06:29 AM
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/7/2010/06/image_rave_legend_2.jpg

http://suckmybeatles.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/beatles4sale.jpg

GuyInTucson
12-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Hey Distorted, you ever going to fix your sig?

"Sedish House Mafia"?

Distorted_Jungle
12-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Never noticed it haha, thanks.

chiapet
12-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Some bands are useless without a big stage, some without a big light show.
Art Brut proved that you dont even need an audience

Art Brut were in my hotel at Bumbershoot. Nice boys. :)

Bumblebee
12-07-2010, 09:22 AM
I'm still annoyed a Jay-Z showing up 45 minutes late and thus messing up may plans to see parts of my 4-way conflict. Saw first couple JZ songs, then 45 minutes of PIL(top 2-3 that weekend) then finishing off with 20 minutes of Fever Ray. I took a glance at the dance tent(Deadmaus?)

Sia was also playing one of the other tents.

And to the person who had to think about Cure/Gristle conflict....TG have only done 50 shows in their career. And no chance of another reunion of any kind for Cure play all the time.

2009 was my first Coachella, and the triple header of Leonard/moz/Paul was simply beyond comprehension for me. 3 acts that I'd waited 15 years each to see(Moz and Paul seem to be allergic to Western Canada) all in a 5 hour window.

faxman75
12-07-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm still annoyed a Jay-Z showing up 45 minutes late and thus messing up may plans to see parts of my 4-way conflict..

He was scheduled to start at 10:50. Are you saying he didn't start until 11:35?

If so you are wrong. His 10 minute countdown started within 10 minutes of his scheduled time (between 10:50 and 11:00). He was no more than 10 minutes late if at all.

http://www.coachella.com/event/set-times

thom cobain
12-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Yes he was late. The clock started at least 10 minutes after he was supposed to come on.

faxman75
12-07-2010, 10:13 AM
That's still 20 minutes and not 45 genius.

Bumblebee
12-07-2010, 11:05 AM
I remember it being 11:15/20 by the time he hit the stage. PIL were also a tiny bit late and I got there right before they hit the stage around 12:30.

That 10 minute sign for jay-z was super stupid, especially after running a tiny bit late and nothing happening onstage during those 10 countdown minutes crew wise.

thom cobain
12-07-2010, 11:14 AM
That's still 20 minutes and not 45 genius.

i never said 45. but it is more than 10 genius. i'm not mad at him. i thought the clock was hot. just saying, he was late.

Bumblebee
12-07-2010, 11:21 AM
i never said 45. but it is more than 10 genius. i'm not mad at him. i thought the clock was hot. just saying, he was late.

The Coachella screens should be used for set time updates when headliners inevitable run late. Or volcano ash victims.

One of my bigger Coachella peeves, expecially when splitting conflicts 50/50.

Distorted_Jungle
12-07-2010, 11:38 AM
The Coachella screens should be used for set time updates when headliners inevitable run late. Or volcano ash victims.

One of my bigger Coachella peeves, expecially when splitting conflicts 50/50.

Or teaching people how to spell especially

faxman75
12-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Relax, he's black.

chairmenmeow47
12-07-2010, 12:57 PM
i'm still mad at myself for trying to catch part of fever ray & crapmau5 and leaving jay-z :(

also, i am glad i missed the boring part of paul mccartney to catch a few minutes of the presets because now i know the presets are not worth my time. so over hyped. the presets and deadmau5 should have an anti-climactic gang bang to celebrate their "meh"ness.

faxman75
12-07-2010, 12:58 PM
NOOOOO NOT THE FIVER! lol

sbessiso
12-07-2010, 07:29 PM
nice sig

venturas90sgirl
12-07-2010, 08:35 PM
NOOOOO NOT THE FIVER! lol

Lol that reminds me of all the 19 yr employees I have who went to EDC and were all excited to see him. When they got back I was all "So, how was the ol' Fiver!" and they were all "Whuuuuuh!" And yet I couldn't escape him this festival season.

So glad I saw all of Jay-Z, it made appreciate a true hip-hop artist I never gave full attention too. Although I would've liked to have seen part of PiL.

sbessiso
12-11-2010, 07:52 PM
"Hello planet earth!"

RHLQG-DKLSc
KqdDY8biIG4
u52M69mb6Dw

End of Discussion.