PDA

View Full Version : Cut Copy for 2011

Gribbz
11-02-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't think there's a "Tell Us About 2011 albums" thread yet... so:

Cut Copy Unveil Album Artwork, Video

Australian trio Cut Copy scored an international breakthrough with their 2008 album, In Ghost Colours, and after a few teaser tour dates this summer, they're poised to release its follow-up. SPIN can exclusively reveal that it'll be called Zonoscope and will arrive in stores on February 8. Check out the artwork here, and some behind the scenes video from the band's recording sessions below.

The band's Tim Hoey tells SPIN the album artwork, which uses an image of New York City engulfed in a waterfall (created by the late Japanese photo montage artist Tsunehisa Kimura), is emblematic of where his band has netted out with their new tunes.

"We certainly are using all sorts of electronic instruments, more synthesizers, computers, all of that, but contrasted with more organic sounds, more organic percussion," says Hoey. "Since [frontman] Dan [Whitford] came across the image a few months ago, he's stuck with it, and thought that it summed up what we wanted to get across."

Kimura also designed a post-apocalyptic vision of Sydney, Australia, for the cover of fellow Aussie band Midnight Oil's 1984 album Red Sails in the Sunset, and Hoey says Cut Copy actually ended up working with the artist's wife to track down his original print.

As for the music itself, the new behind the scenes video from the studio reveals Cut Copy tinkering with loads of digital noises and synthesizers -- an interesting revelation considering, "Where I'm Going," the first taste of Zonoscope which was released as a free download earlier this year, veered into a more conventional-sounding, guitar-bass-drums combination and seemed to indicate a departure from the sleek, electronic-laced sound of In Ghost Colours.

"I knew it might throw people a little bit, but at the end of the day it still sounded like a Cut Copy song," says Hoey. "It's got a pop music element, which runs throughout every Cut Copy song or album. I thought it was actually great to put out first from the record."

But, Hoey revealed, it's another version of "Where I'm Going" that made the final cut. "There's actually a new mix of that song on the album which is more like the original vision we had for that song: more chant-y, kind of tribal, and probably less pop than the version that came out a couple of months ago," he explains.

Hoey also feels the raw warehouse space in Melbourne, littered with discarded vintage recording gear and instruments, that was used to record Zonoscope had a profound influence on the finished product. In the middle of winter, they loaded in all of their own equipment, set up exactly how they wanted to, and cut themselves off from the world.

"There was no Internet in there, barely any heat, nothing, just fucking industrial Melbourne," he says. "We just knew we could kind of go into there and not feel pressured. We were just kind of locked in there by ourselves, and we couldn't have had it sounding how it sounds without us going in there."

Between now and February, Hoey says he and his bandmates will be reinventing their live show and figuring out how to bring Zonoscope to life onstage. "We've created this new world with the record, and we certainly want the new live show to represent that, to take it into new territory," he says. The band will also sort through songs that didn't make the cut, try to finish some, and figure out how to possibly release even more music in 2011.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DJArcLight/cutcopy_.jpg

http://www.spin.com/articles/exclusive-cut-copy-unveil-album-artwork-video

DFrank
11-02-2010, 12:32 PM
We already gots a Cut Copy thread. But i'll be very surprised if they dont make appearance for us in April.

Gribbz
11-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Yeeeeaaah. True, but that thread is in the "line-up" section. I think a Cut Copy thread is more appropriate in the "Rumors/Gossip/Wish List" section. Perhaps I should have put it in the "Music Lounge."

Coachella Bound
11-02-2010, 03:19 PM
i fully support this thread....!!!

rage patton
11-02-2010, 05:35 PM
I don't think I have ever listened to Cut/Copy... but that album artwork is fantastic.

Gribbz
11-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Hmmm. I could see you loving or hating them. I'll send you some of their stuff.

gaypalmsprings
11-02-2010, 05:44 PM
They were great at their last Coachella appearance.

heart cooks brain
11-02-2010, 05:57 PM
This thread is my friend

JebusLives
11-02-2010, 06:11 PM
I don't think I have ever listened to Cut/Copy... but that album artwork is fantastic.

what are your thoughts on New Order? I think Cut/Copy can be summarized (and I don't mean disparagingly) as a thouroughly-modern New Order.

I missed them last time for the Breeders (bad call). Please bring!

fiopadp7791
11-03-2010, 12:34 AM
They were great at their last Coachella appearance.

Me looking like a wiener with my cut copy 3D glasses on in 08
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3601/petercutcopy.jpg (http://img294.imageshack.us/i/petercutcopy.jpg/)

I'm in the red t-shirt, 2nd row... checking out some pretty Asian chick instead of looking at the stage for some reason. But their set kicked a whole lotta ass.

Coachella Bound
11-03-2010, 09:34 AM
what are your thoughts on New Order? I think Cut/Copy can be summarized (and I don't mean disparagingly) as a thouroughly-modern New Order.

I missed them last time for the Breeders (bad call). Please bring!

completely agree... funny thing is, C.C. did it better. Cant wait to hear the new album.....

Cooper
11-03-2010, 11:20 AM
makes me so excited to see that other people are also pretty sure that C/C will be playing, they're pretty much one of my favorite bands ever that I haven't seen yet.

Bleezie
11-03-2010, 01:05 PM
I support this. Very excited about the new album

heyeric
11-05-2010, 10:03 AM
fully support this. 08 performance was killer and with the new album release coming in february i'd like to see them on the stage at coachella again.

shermanoaksyo
11-06-2010, 07:52 PM
They were very good at lolla.

beeerplease
11-07-2010, 01:52 AM
zonoscope! so ready!

signed.

ldobbie
11-11-2010, 12:10 AM
These guys have gotta be a lock for this year.. They are like a hipster elite band. I'd love to see them again just knowing they're gonna play their old songs, let alone whatever new stuff they have. Signed.

jonesjupiter
11-11-2010, 10:39 AM
I want them! Come play in our "outback"!!!

Mr. Porter
11-11-2010, 11:18 AM
They are like a hipster elite band.
Kind of an off-based perception of them ya think?

humanoid
11-11-2010, 11:19 AM
they were great last time around...and also at the LA Detour Festival...what was that, '08?

send me ctrpllrs
11-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Probably, they toured a lot that year. I saw them at Coachella and 4 songs at Pitchfork that year, then at Club Nokia in 09. I support this thread, but I want them at night this time.

jonesjupiter
11-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Probably, they toured a lot that year. I saw them at Coachella and 4 songs at Pitchfork that year, then at Club Nokia in 09. I support this thread, but I want them at night this time.

The night time is indeed the right time...

FoxeyLady
11-12-2010, 10:52 AM
I regret missing them in 08, I'll definitely be there if they play this year.

weezy f baby
11-12-2010, 11:06 AM
I'd rather see The Presets.

choice cat
11-12-2010, 12:30 PM
they were great last time around...and also at the LA Detour Festival...what was that, '08?

yup 08. that was a great fucking little festival ....

Aurgasm
11-12-2010, 12:35 PM
never been impressed by these guys' live stuff.

i bet they will show up, afterall, GV loves to recycle hipster dance music

Huggz
11-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Really hoping Cut Copy play too, though I will luckily be seeing them again in February at Laneway Festival.

I'm from Australia and pretty much every hipster hates them here yet it seems like the complete opposite over there in the US which I find quite strange.

Really stoked to see how popular they've gotten internationally over the past few years too, still remember seeing them as a kid back in 2005, wish they still played more BLNL material.

guedita
11-22-2010, 01:46 PM
New single streaming now: http://www.modularpeople.com/news/listen-cut-copy-take-me-over-premiere-/3894.html

Something oddly reminiscent of that "I Come From The Land Down Under" song from the 80s.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-22-2010, 01:55 PM
New single streaming now: http://www.modularpeople.com/news/listen-cut-copy-take-me-over-premiere-/3894.html

Something oddly reminiscent of that "I Come From The Land Down Under" song from the 80s.

ahahaha right off the bat the bass line sounds just like it

HandBanana
11-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Thx!
I love this.

rag and bone
11-22-2010, 02:27 PM
aaaahhh so dance-y, so fun. i'm in love with this song already. zonoscope can't come soon enough.

Gribbz
11-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Loving this new track.

JebusLives
11-22-2010, 03:42 PM
New track is good, but doesn't really feel up to par with the best 8 or so from In Ghost Colours. That is a hell of a hill to climb, though.

darkjustice
11-22-2010, 03:48 PM
that song is very similar to "land down under" by men at work...i like it

Gribbz
11-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Their Coachella set will be pure sexy time.

ldobbie
11-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Lol, if it were any other band that recorded that song I'd probably dismiss it as cheesy, but.. Cut Copy get a lifetime free cheese pass from me

Cooper
11-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Lol, if it were any other band that recorded that song I'd probably dismiss it as cheesy, but.. Cut Copy get a lifetime free cheese pass from me

word
I duno if it's me being a diehard fan but I think this new track is amazing! I am so stoked to be confident that they'll be at coachella...ahh the excitement

guedita
12-11-2010, 01:13 PM
They are confirmed to play at WMC/Ultra. Coachella IMMINENT!

Gribbz
12-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Commence fist pumping.