PDA

View Full Version : The one show Ive literally been dreaming about

abellongoria35
10-20-2010, 01:40 AM
First time poster here. I've trolled around a lot, but never really had anything important to say so I just look around mostly. This year will be my 2nd Coachella, and I'm so excited that I'm effin dreaming about it. Literally. This might sound crazy too, but the one person I think has an opportunity to top Jay's performance of last year is Eminem. Seriously, I'm going to make a valid argument for it. Recovery actually was a recovery for him musically,and a big one at that. We haven't heard him like this since the days of 8 Mile. He brings a lot of upbeat, intense songs that are pure fire. I honestly believe there isn't a rapper who can beat him when he is at the top of his game.

For those who don't want rap at Coachella
If you're going to complain that rappers shouldn't headline, then get with the times. Last year we saw more hip hop than ever before, and Jay Z arguably had the best show of the weekend. Goldenvoice, you think, would want to continue the trend this year. Hip Hop is the fastest growing genre, and it is the most popular amongst college students, so it would be stupid not to bring in more. We have all sorts of rumors for Wiz, OutKast/Big Boi, Kanye, etc... Artists like this are not there to please the uber Coachella-er that has been to every single festival. They're there to cater to new fans, for the people who thought Jay Z had the best show last year. If you were one of those people who didn't see it, or didn't even want him playing in the first place, then this discussion isn't for you. Don't come in here and poop on my parade cuz I'm not tryin to poop on yours. There are going to be rappers at Coachella, that's just how its gonna be, so you might as well deal with it.

Those of you criticizing his recent music:
If all you have listened to from Eminem is what the radio has played the past few years, then I really understand how you can hate. His last two albums were awful. Most people didn't even care to even try out Recovery after those horrible excuses for music. On top of that his recent singles are really sissy, which gave people even less incentive to peeps Recovery. But after I checked it out I was pleasantly surprised. He keeps it real, and tells a story about what was happening during his spiral downward with a song called Talkin 2 Myself. It really highlights his maturation as both a person and artist. I'm not saying I would like this song live, it's just an interesting song that surprises most people. He also brings fire that we haven't heard since the Eminem Show with songs like No Love (IMO, his best verse of all time), Almost Famous, Never Over, On Fire, and Cinderella Man. Recovery isn't his best album, but its undoubtedly a step in the right direction. Point is, Eminem can make music. If people just listen to it(yes you might have to skip through some bs songs here and there) with an open mind they will, at the very least, begin to respect what he brings to the table.

Eminem toured with Jay-Z for a few shows
We all saw the performer that Jay was last year, and there is no doubt in my mind that some of that rubbed off on Em. There are blogs and articles all over the place that say his shows lately have been 10x better than ever.This is an intro to a show in Detroit, and it looks strikingly similar to Jay's at Coachella last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-HEdVj7hak
Sameish type of backdrop, live band, trap door, lots of epicness, etc... My point, Eminem has the ability to bring the house down because he knows what it takes to have a great set. My Name Is, Real Slim Shady, Lose Yourself, Superman, and so so so many more would be such a blast to see at a place like Coachella.

Why Eminem? Three letters - D. R. E.
So if Coachella is looking to keep the rap trend alive, they're obviously going to want someone to try and top Jay. Maybe OutKast can if they reunite, but it would make so much more sense for them to do it at Bonnaroo. If it happened at Coachella would I complain? Hell no I'd love it, but the same reason they would want to play at Bonnaroo is the same reason Dr. Dre would want to play at Coachella, its right in his back yard. I know, I know, there is a shit ton of "what if" in this scenario, but it makes a lot of sense. Beyonce was the biggest surprise guest of last year, and the entire nation heard about it. Hell, I got home the Monday after the festival, and the YouTube page already had over 100,000 hits. Coachella's geographic location right next to LA, attracts a lot of media. Media means advertising. We saw how fast the word spread about Beyonce last year, and she was only a feature. Imagine what would happen if Dre announced DETOX! Imagine the buzz that this would generate. Imagine how much damn money a stunt like this could bring in. There isn't a more perfect location for Dre to do it, and there isn't a more perfect person to bring him in than Eminem, and there isn't a more perfect time in his career for him to do it.

It all makes too much sense.

Final Argument
Eminem has sold over 80,000,000 albums
He has won 11 Grammys
He has 1 Oscar
Eminem is worthy of a headliner at Coachella.

It seems plausible enough to me, but I'm just a music fan from Texas who doesn't really know jack about this kind of stuff. I know its super unlikely, but if this did happen it'd be a great thing for everyone involved - Coachella, Dre, Eminem, me, you, and even hip hop. Thoughts?

daftmau5
10-20-2010, 04:33 AM
First off, this is not for those who don't want rap at Coachella

fixed

yeah so i was a huge eminem fan in high school and i went through that fairly common suburban prep school kid phase where i thought i was hardcore for downloading 1990s rap and wearing grungy sweatpants & hoodies to school everyday for three years. i still think he's one of the best lyricists of all time, and i get what you're saying about it being a good time in his career, and i also think that he'd put on a good show.

but i wouldn't want to hear anything post-2002. IMO it would be best if he only performed songs from infinite and the slim shady LP. when he switched up his lyrical technique from fast-paced multisyllabic internal rhyme schemes to the hoarse-voiced ranting/raving/shouting i lost all interest. recovery was an indeed an introspective album but i don't really care to see it live cause i don't think it would be that entertaining for the masses. i don't think there are that many die-hard eminem fans at coachella.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-20-2010, 05:51 AM
11 Grammys AND 1 Oscar? Maybe he can do Friday and Barbara Streisand can do Saturday.

tigermilkboy
10-20-2010, 06:18 AM
You still don't have anything important to say. Keep lurking though!

liquidsnake28
10-20-2010, 07:01 AM
Hip Hop is the fastest growing genre

Hehe

malcolmjamalawesome
10-20-2010, 08:15 AM
You still don't have anything important to say. Keep lurking though!

IT'S IMPORTANT THIS IS IMPORTANT

guedita
10-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Don't come in here and poop on my parade cuz I'm not tryin to poop on yours. There are going to be rappers at Coachella, that's just how its gonna be, so you might as well deal with it.

G_g3kkGH8Mo

malcolmjamalawesome
10-20-2010, 08:27 AM
It seems plausible enough to me, but I'm just a music fan from Texas who doesn't really know jack about this kind of stuff. I know its super unlikely, but if this did happen it'd be a great thing for everyone involved - Coachella, Dre, Eminem, me, you, and even hip hop. Thoughts?

Hooping. Hollering.

captncrzy
10-20-2010, 08:58 AM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jezebel/2010/10/thumbsupobama.gif

MarkO
10-20-2010, 09:01 AM
11 Grammys AND 1 Oscar? Maybe he can do Friday and Barbara Streisand can do Saturday.

One of the best retorts I've read on this board. Awesome.

thewoodenman
10-20-2010, 09:10 AM
its jackasses like you that make me happy im not in texas anymore

Cookieman908
10-20-2010, 09:42 AM
its jackasses like you that make me happy im not in texas anymore

Ouch

bobchella
10-20-2010, 09:44 AM
pass

pachucasunrise
10-20-2010, 10:15 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Marshall Mathers LP or GTFO.

NachoCat
10-20-2010, 10:18 AM
While his second album was great. I can think of 10 other hip hop acts id rather see

daftmau5
10-20-2010, 10:20 AM
oh man abellongoria got flamed to a crisp

sorry dude, i really wouldn't mind eminem at coachella but as you can see i don't think the general community is too supportive

keep your fingers crossed though, if his show doesn't interfere with any not horrendous act at the sahara i will be in the crowd

Phantasma Del Mar
10-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Imagine what would happen if Dre announced DETOX!

lol

Distorted_Jungle
10-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Maybe you didn't see the search button, but it's been discussed.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41211&highlight=Eminem

Sublime
10-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Eminem became a whiny, desperate hoe on Recovery. He went from talking about chopping his ex's heads off and driving them off a cliff in a trunk to divorcing them. "I'm not really crazy ladies." It's one of the saddest albums I've ever heard.

tygamilk
10-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Damn son, you mad.

paulb
10-20-2010, 12:46 PM
If you think Jay Z was the best set at Coachella, you clearly did not watch Fever Ray....

summerkid
10-20-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm not a fan of either Jay-Z or Eminem but have seen both at festivals and I can tell you one thing that Jay-Z is 100 times the live performer that Eminem is and in part because Jay-Z actually has a great band. I don't really much of Eminem's show except the intro and being in one of my worst crow experiences ever. Some guy peed on the guy standing two people behind me and these fat girls started fighting and wrestling.

guedita
10-20-2010, 01:41 PM
If you're going to complain that rappers shouldn't headline, then get with the times. Last year we saw more hip hop than ever before

Incredibly false statement.

Distorted_Jungle
10-20-2010, 01:49 PM
If you think Jay Z was the best set at Coachella, you clearly did not watch Plastikman....

Fixed.

tigermilkboy
10-20-2010, 02:21 PM
I don't really much of Eminem's show except the intro and being in one of my worst crow experiences ever.

I had a bad crow experience as a kid, know exactly what you mean!

juloxx
10-20-2010, 02:39 PM
I was seriously hoping that Dre would come out during Jay-Z's set, seeing as "the first single" of detox was leaked right before Coachella, and it had Jay-Z on it.

Instead we got Beyonce. I promptly left before they could finish their shitty duets.

abellongoria35
10-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Damn, you guys are fuckin brutal. I guess people just don't have any love for him anymore. Sucks, cuz I love what he does, and would love to see it live. People are pretty adamant that they don't want him around, so its doubtful we'll see it.

I still think that a Dre guest appearance is the absolute best thing that can happen, from a Hip-Hop perspective at least. Doesn't matter if it was Eminem. Snoop or OutKast would be just fine, but I still think Em has the potential to bring it harder than all of em.

thewoodenman
10-20-2010, 04:08 PM
really? better than outkast...eh.. not at coachella please. pppplllleeeeasssee.

sbessiso
10-20-2010, 04:10 PM
He cant be any worse than Kanye.

thewoodenman
10-20-2010, 04:25 PM
although it would be less conflict, idk bout the crowd though

malcolmjamalawesome
10-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Damn, you guys are fuckin brutal. I guess people just don't have any love for him anymore. Sucks, cuz I love what he does, and would love to see it live. People are pretty adamant that they don't want him around, so its doubtful we'll see it.

I still think that a Dre guest appearance is the absolute best thing that can happen, from a Hip-Hop perspective at least. Doesn't matter if it was Eminem. Snoop or OutKast would be just fine, but I still think Em has the potential to bring it harder than all of em.

Are you an asshole? Dre is a great producer. He's a weak ass rapper. You really think seeing his old, fat, slow ass live is going to be that great?

GuyInTucson
10-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Another Eminem thread? Look I am a huge fan of Em and always have been, but you're fighting an uphill battle with most of this board. I would bank on him playing Lollapalooza before Coachella. Paul Tollett basically said the only hip hop act he'd book to headline Coachella is Jay-Z and that already happened.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Paul Tollett basically said the only hip hop act he'd book to headline Coachella is Jay-Z

Link or GTFO

juloxx
10-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Are you an asshole? Dre is a great producer. He's a weak ass rapper. You really think seeing his old, fat, slow ass live is going to be that great?

You talkin to me?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WT47uHJXGgU/RulsALOurYI/AAAAAAAACsI/89Ucvts_eDY/s320/dre.jpg

zimmy1222
10-20-2010, 05:06 PM
yeah man, he actually has gotten in shape.

but that does not negate the fact that em (even with dre) @ coach is a terrible idea. i wouldn't even go past the outdoor during that time. (unless pure filth is that-a-way ;))

malcolmjamalawesome
10-20-2010, 05:09 PM
I guess he bought a gym membership with the Dr. Pepper money.

FoxeyLady
10-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Link or GTFO

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/music/articles/2010/04/14/20100414coachella-jayz.html

But as Coachella's founder and operational mastermind Paul Tollett points out, Jay-Z is the only rhyme-spitter in the game today with enough big hits, street cred, Twitter-worthy showmanship and mass appeal to connect with the desert festival's discerning audience. "I don't think there's any other hip-hop artist who could headline Coachella right now," Tollett said.

I don't think that rules out a hip hop headliner this year though, seeing as he said "right now".

I'd be happy if they decided not to have a hip hop headliner this year. As much as I love that genre I think Coachella has the ability to sign much more interesting headliner talent.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Well, not to mention the fact that live mainstream hip hop blows.

WhyTheLongFace
10-20-2010, 06:05 PM
If you think Jay Z was the best set at Coachella, you clearly did not watch Fever Ray....

Well Obviously.......since they were on at the same time.

FoxeyLady
10-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Well, not to mention the fact that live mainstream hip hop blows.

I'm guessing you haven't seen Jay-Z.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Oh, sorry. I meant "Not to mention all but one mainstream hip hop act blows live."

FoxeyLady
10-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Well, Glow In The Dark Tour...

But yeah besides that I agree with you.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-20-2010, 06:53 PM
[Pause for someone to say "Well, obviously you've never seen Outkast or Beastie Boys or some other boring fuck."]

juloxx
10-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Well obviously you've never seen The Ying Yang twins

malcolmjamalawesome
10-20-2010, 08:05 PM
hahahahaha

WhyTheLongFace
10-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Or Waka Flocka

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Well obviously we have a rapist in Lincoln Park

Blinken
10-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Not gonna happen this year. I doubt they would book a hip hop headliner two years in a row after going 10 years without one. Plus Eminem just did that shitty Epicenter festival so it is unlikely that Coachella would tap him as a headliner the next year. I would love to see Eminem at Coachella but I just don't see it happening this year. Plus the backlash on the boards and among Coachella fans would rival the Jack Johnson shitfest around here.

What I really want is for him to do a small tour on his own where he play a full set.

WhyTheLongFace
10-20-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't even look at Em as hip hop act. He'd be like RHCP. So whatever reception Coachella goers would have against RHCP headlining Em would get the same.

But I agree with Blinken I rather a tour than him at Coachella.