PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety, Depression, Medication, Mental Health

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

kitt kat
12-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Then I did, and I managed to stop having panic attacks thanks to psychiatric meds, and thus stopped having to cut myself.

Did you cut yourself while having an attack to make yourself feel like you had some control over what your body was doing to itself?

(Because that's how I used to cope, partially, with panic attacks. Just wondering.)

thelastgreatman
12-30-2007, 02:08 AM
My point is that we have some control over our mood. Obviously, we can't control our genes and that also plays a big role in how likely we are to be depressed. And, what are you talking about - what is a chemical shift?

Your point that we have some control over our mood is a perfect demonstration of how you DON'T FUCKING GET IT. Sorry, but this is really starting to piss me the fuck off. What makes serious clinical depression require medication in many cases is that you don't have control over it. Until you've experienced it or maybe had any significant exposure to it besides taking a couple of fucking classes at UCLA you are absolutely clueless and it shows, and I would really appreciate it if you would shut the fuck up. Truly clinically depressed people don't have control over it. Exercise, diet, blah blah blah, yes that can be useful in many cases, but we're not talking about having the blues. We're talking about people that cannot muster any semblance of pleasure or motivation in life whatsoever. It's a real fucking problem--not rich people who sit around all day watching TV and get bored as a result.

Did you cut yourself while having an attack to make yourself feel like you had some control over what your body was doing to itself?

Um... that's an interesting way to put it--I never really thought of it like that but that's one way to phrase it. I think the more literal explanation is that panic attacks induce such an intense psychosomatic pain that the induction of true physical pain shocks the system out of the attack. Part of this is due to the fact that pain releases dopamine and endorphins. But yes, I kind of see what you're saying in that the psychosomatic pain of panic attacks is incredibly frustrating--in addition to being as painful as anything I've ever experienced--because there's no understandable cause for it. One could argue that the urge to cut is motivated by a desire to experience a pain with clear visible causality rather than pain derived from seemingly imaginary emotional explosions.

rage patton
12-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Wow Randy, you are one educated motherfucker.

thelastgreatman
12-30-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure if that's supposed to be sarcastic or not or what.

rage patton
12-30-2007, 09:49 AM
No, it wasn't sarcastic at all actually. You just seem to know your stuff about all this.
A person I am very close too, and who I will not identiy/name, is clinically depressed. Yet that person is also one of the nicest, most selfless people you will ever met in your entire life. No matter how good life is sometimes though, you cannot shake the depression. The person is not under heavy medication at all, and actually, their meds are reducing faster and faster as time goes on. What the meds do is they help you find a way to deal with the depression. When it starts working, they prescribe less and less... until you are able to deal with it yourself. If a person is using the meds an unneccessary or an unsafe amount, clearly meds are not the answer. But when used appropriately, meds are incredibly helpful.
I know some people are able to get over depression without meds, but if meds ARE going to help someone get overcome it, I don't see why they can't use them. Its true though, meds also do harm some people. But, as Randy said, everyone's depression is different.
So basically Randy, you are doing an excellent job defending this side of the argument. I commend you on that.

kreutz2112
12-30-2007, 09:51 AM
meds are shit. scientology 100%

thelastgreatman
12-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Oh. Well thanks. But none of what I said is the result of education I guess is what confused me--just explaining my first-hand experience.

menikmati
12-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I don't think you've experienced true clinical depression, Erik. There aren't shit times and good times for truly depressed people. There's just shit times. This is the problem. You might feel differently about the matter if you couldn't get out of bed in the morning, or found yourself instantly regretting that you'd lived through the night every time you woke up. Perhaps you shouldn't assume that all depression is the same as your depression.

Also, it's unbelievably ignorant for you to say that you don't think these medications work even though you've never taken them and you're not a psychiatrist. You have no basis for this opinion, and apparently don't consider the fact that millions of people find them beneficial to be valid evidence. I could just as easily say that I don't believe insulin works, but diabetics would probably disagree.

Well right Randy, I've never tried the medication myself....but I have seen how it affects people first hand...as almost my ENTIRE family (on my mom's side that is), meaning my mom, brother, older sister, aunt, niece etc....they've all been saying they've been depressed for whatever reason, can't get out of bed, hate life etc etc...so they've all been addicted to the different types of medication out there, and I don't think it's EVER worked for any of them, in fact I know it hasn't, because they've said so. In my opinion, it just made them worse...worse moods, a bigger lack of motivation etc etc....it was just pathetic, but oh it's okay for them to be on it, because they're depressed.

Well guess what, I can tell them I'm just as depressed as they are, maybe more. My life sucks too. I hate it sometimes too....but I can't just sit and lay there and mope about it and tell people I'm clinically depressed and need meds, just like my mom and brother have, because I truly think it's gonna lead to nowhere. I would like to lay in bed all day to saying I'm depressed, but like I said earlier, I think we have way more control over it than others think. I think some people get caught up in the idea they've been "diagnosed" as being depressed, and it goes to their head that they have no way out other than meds. Sorry to say that if it offends some people, but from what I've seen, that's just how I feel.

Maybe for a few, the meds can be positive, but from what I've seen....they are just generally useless (except for the fact that drug companies are making bank off of them...hmmm).

full on idle
12-30-2007, 10:03 AM
and the moon landing is fake and Bigfoot is real. Am I missing anything?

edit* and Kurt Cobain was murdered, thank you.

kreutz2112
12-30-2007, 10:04 AM
elvis is still alive.

thelastgreatman
12-30-2007, 10:05 AM
I don't think that you should base opinions on an entire medical field on the behavior of your immediate family. Your family is probably not an all-inclusive representation of the human population. You've never known anyone who felt they benefited from these medications? None of your family take them anymore, I guess?

menikmati
12-30-2007, 10:05 AM
kurt was murdered

kreutz2112
12-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Oh. Well thanks. But none of what I said is the result of education I guess is what confused me--just explaining my first-hand experience.

I don't think that you should base opinions on an entire medical field on the behavior of your immediate family. Your family is probably not an all-inclusive representation of the human population. You've never known anyone who felt they benefited from these medications? None of your family take them anymore, I guess?

FACE

thelastgreatman
12-30-2007, 10:10 AM
And it's not that it offends people, or at least not that it offends me. I'm just amazed that so many of you can make such boldly stupid statements. Doesn't it occur to you that you're probably not 100 percent informed on the subject? Don't you have any instinct to not say things that make you look like fucking idiots? Just curious.

kreutz2112
12-30-2007, 10:11 AM
^^^^

Refer to post 516.

thelastgreatman
12-30-2007, 10:12 AM
FACE

Funny, but it doesn't really apply. Seeing as my position is that medication can be helpful for some people, and it was helpful for me, my personal experience proves my point.

They are trying to prove a negative. Just because it didn't work for their family doesn't mean it doesn't work at all. Proving absolute negatives is difficult--it's best to generally refrain from them.

kreutz2112
12-30-2007, 10:13 AM
right and just becaue it worked for one person (you) doesnt mean it works for everyone. It applies.

full on idle
12-30-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm going to call my band Absolut Negatives (do you see how I made absolute into absolut like the vodka? That's for marketing purposes).

kreutz2112
12-30-2007, 10:17 AM
foi is still drunk from drinking absolute vodka last night (See how I made the absolut into absolute, like the word).

full on idle
12-30-2007, 10:18 AM
You need help on your businesswoman technique.

kreutz2112
12-30-2007, 10:21 AM
by the way foi, I am listening to "Friend Opportunity" right now and am realizing how good it really is. Good choice.

Benis23
12-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Your point that we have some control over our mood is a perfect demonstration of how you DON'T FUCKING GET IT. Sorry, but this is really starting to piss me the fuck off. What makes serious clinical depression require medication in many cases is that you don't have control over it. Until you've experienced it or maybe had any significant exposure to it besides taking a couple of fucking classes at UCLA you are absolutely clueless and it shows, and I would really appreciate it if you would shut the fuck up. Truly clinically depressed people don't have control over it. Exercise, diet, blah blah blah, yes that can be useful in many cases, but we're not talking about having the blues. We're talking about people that cannot muster any semblance of pleasure or motivation in life whatsoever. It's a real fucking problem--not rich people who sit around all day watching TV and get bored as a result.

LGM,

First of all, I'm speaking in generalities and you are talking about your specific situation. From what you have said about yourself, you seem to have a more severe form of depression, and it is easily the case that even if you do make serious changes in your lifestyle, you will still be be very depressed. In which case, medication would be a great treatment for you.

But I'm speaking in generalities. IN GENERAL, there are things people can do to improve their mood and there are many, many studies that support that belief.

Secondly, my opinions aren't coming from a couple of bullshit psychology classes. They're coming from 20+ classes in psychology, sociology, anthropology, neuroscience, genetics, and biology. But again, I am no expert on your life. I know what the studies say, and they may not speak to your life at all.

thelastgreatman
12-30-2007, 10:28 AM
right and just becaue it worked for one person (you) doesnt mean it works for everyone. It applies.

It would only apply if I ever said that it works for everyone, when in fact I said very clearly that it doesn't. It works for some. Are you trying to look like an idiot too or how do you not understand this?

thelastgreatman
12-30-2007, 10:36 AM
LGM,

First of all, I'm speaking in generalities and you are talking about your specific situation. From what you have said about yourself, you seem to have a more severe form of depression, and it is easily the case that even if you do make serious changes in your lifestyle, you will still be be very depressed. In which case, medication would be a great treatment for you.

But I'm speaking in generalities. IN GENERAL, there are things people can do to improve their mood and there are many, many studies that support that belief.

Secondly, my opinions aren't coming from a couple of bullshit psychology classes. They're coming from 20+ classes in psychology, sociology, anthropology, neuroscience, genetics, and biology. But again, I am no expert on your life. I know what the studies say, and they may not speak to your life at all.

Listen you fucking nimrod, I personally know several dozen people who have also benefited from these medications and I guarantee that you do too. This is fucking ridiculous.

Benis23
12-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Are you hallucinating right now? Who are you arguing with? When did I ever say that anti-depressants could not be helpful?

full on idle
12-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Nimrod was a mighty hunter descended from Ham in the old testament.

thelastgreatman
12-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Are you hallucinating right now? Who are you arguing with? When did I ever say that anti-depressants could not be helpful?

You're just being a jerkoff about the whole thing by insisting that the only circumstances where you'll concede that these medications can/should be used have to be of the highest severity. People get misdiagnosed and improperly prescribed for all kinds of shit, but every time you step into any of these discussions your position is always basically telling people that seeking psychiatric medicine is a mistake.

Only when I play the self-mutilation card do you relent on your general assertion that people who think they're depressed could all fix it themselves if they just tried. I don't think you have any figures to back that up as much as you think you do, I still call bullshit on your claim that serotonin has no connection to depression from back when you first stepped into this thread, and I'm tired of you speaking in "generalities" when what you're really talking about is misdiagnosis and irresponsible prescription.

You admit there's a distinction for cases like myself because mine is so "severe." But it isn't as uncommon as you fucking make it out to be, and it's not that it's especially severe that makes the medication applicable--it's that I suffer from true clinical depression. Know how you know it's clinical depression? When none of the behavioral modifications produce an improvement. Hence your argument isn't that people should try other means to treat their depression in the psychiatric sense of the word, it's that they probably aren't actually medically depressed at all.

In which case, yeah no fucking shit the medication isn't effective.

ruetheday
12-30-2007, 11:11 AM
you guys are all fucked up.

thelastgreatman
12-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Do you have a pill that promotes unfuckedness? I'll take the two most popular brands and some placebos too.

kreutz2112
12-30-2007, 11:20 AM
I will also take a few. Only if they are able to be administered rectally.

Yablonowitz
12-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Before I became severely and debilitatingly depressed, I thought much like Erik and Penis, but once I actually was profoundly overtaken PHYSICALLY by depression - such that I thought that I had no purpose or place in the world and that every second dragged on for 12 hours with every cell in my body hurting and I didn't want to get out of bed and I didn't want nor could eat and cried and shook uncontrollably THEN I discovered what depression really was and that it is a physical condition. Had I not started taking SSRI's, I don't think I would have made it. I don't have any evidence, except that two weeks into the paxil, I finally woke up and felt normal again. And I began to realize how distorted my view of reality had become and how unlike "me" I was while I was depressed. Yes, I went to therapy and tried to zero in on what might have triggered or caused it, but my uncertain opinion is that it was an over-reaction to stress that is inherently part of my chemistry. I had been through MUCH harder and more stressful times. I was recently married, had a wife I loved and a job and a baby boy on the way...there really wasn't any reason for it. I could say that I was just a weak person, but that didn't explain how I got through graduate school at University of Wisconsin and lived a year as a newspaper reporter constantly under stress and deadlines, etc.

There just wasn't that much "bad" in my life to justify what I went through. I just don't believe that there was some unseen hiding cause in my emotional life, it just wasn't that simple. So, Erik, Penis, and others who say meds are cop outs and don't help whatsoever, I would kindly disagree with you and make the assumption that you have never actually experienced real, physical, serious depression. But that's just a guess, we all experience the world differently and maybe you have an understanding that I lack, but I would definitely recommend that you at least listen and think about the stories from people who have experienced true, lasting depression and give them a level of respect for trying to make themselves feel better, even if it's through a method you disagree with. Very little about medication for the brain is simple or easy to generalize. If it's sensible enough that people can inherit physical problems genetically, why is it so hard to believe that you can't inherit a biological makeup that is more sensitive to stress and hardship than others?

thelastgreatman
12-30-2007, 11:38 AM
I'll take anything if it's administered rectally. You don't even need a commercial or a brand name.

ruetheday
12-30-2007, 11:39 AM
all this happened to yablo because I left the board.

thelastgreatman
12-30-2007, 11:40 AM

He was suffering from Rue withdrawl. That one's almost certainly administered rectally.

Benis23
12-30-2007, 12:08 PM
I thought much like Erik and Penis . . . So, Erik, Penis

MY NAME IS BENIS

thelastgreatman
12-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Um, I'm pretty sure the name is Penis. Are you sure you haven't been misspelling it?

Yablonowitz
12-30-2007, 01:15 PM

That's the rueth.

PS - I was channeling tomaz for that joke.

ruetheday
12-30-2007, 02:03 PM
That's the rueth.

PS - I was channeling tomaz for that joke.

that was a good one.

TomAz
01-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Before I became severely and debilitatingly depressed, I thought much like Erik and Penis, but once I actually was profoundly overtaken PHYSICALLY by depression - such that I thought that I had no purpose or place in the world and that every second dragged on for 12 hours with every cell in my body hurting and I didn't want to get out of bed and I didn't want nor could eat and cried and shook uncontrollably THEN I discovered what depression really was and that it is a physical condition. Had I not started taking SSRI's, I don't think I would have made it. I don't have any evidence, except that two weeks into the paxil, I finally woke up and felt normal again. And I began to realize how distorted my view of reality had become and how unlike "me" I was while I was depressed. Yes, I went to therapy and tried to zero in on what might have triggered or caused it, but my uncertain opinion is that it was an over-reaction to stress that is inherently part of my chemistry. I had been through MUCH harder and more stressful times. I was recently married, had a wife I loved and a job and a baby boy on the way...there really wasn't any reason for it. I could say that I was just a weak person, but that didn't explain how I got through graduate school at University of Wisconsin and lived a year as a newspaper reporter constantly under stress and deadlines, etc.

There just wasn't that much "bad" in my life to justify what I went through. I just don't believe that there was some unseen hiding cause in my emotional life, it just wasn't that simple. So, Erik, Penis, and others who say meds are cop outs and don't help whatsoever, I would kindly disagree with you and make the assumption that you have never actually experienced real, physical, serious depression. But that's just a guess, we all experience the world differently and maybe you have an understanding that I lack, but I would definitely recommend that you at least listen and think about the stories from people who have experienced true, lasting depression and give them a level of respect for trying to make themselves feel better, even if it's through a method you disagree with. Very little about medication for the brain is simple or easy to generalize. If it's sensible enough that people can inherit physical problems genetically, why is it so hard to believe that you can't inherit a biological makeup that is more sensitive to stress and hardship than others?

I would agree with you but I don't think I'll give you the satisfaction.

nothingman00
01-02-2008, 09:35 AM

Good post, Greg. I really can believe there are people who think medications are unnecessary. That said, if each of those people experienced just 2 or 3 full blown panic attacks/severe bouts of clinical depression, they'd be a little more understanding. Nothing I've experienced in my life has been as difficult as the worst panic attack I've had. Feeling like you're dying is one thing but being 99% certain that you're dying is quite another.

J~$$$
01-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Im not going back to look it up, but what is "brain shivers" all about? Isnt this a dangerous side effect of SSRI's. I hear a lot of people experiencing dangerous side effects.

Yablonowitz
01-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Im not going back to look it up, but what is "brain shivers" all about? Isnt this a dangerous side effect of SSRI's. I hear a lot of people experiencing dangerous side effects.

It's not dangerous, at least the ones that I have. Though they FEEL dangerous and are very unsettling. What I get are periodic electric 'zaps' (for lack of a better word) in my head, related to rapid eye movement. There are lots of different words for it - brain shocks, shivers, paresthesia but I've been having them for over several years and have never been harmed by them. My first fear was that i was going to have a seizure or that i was going to faint. But I've had enough of them now and been reassured often by my MD that they are harmless, yet not entirely understood occurences. Although, I do wonder if there are long-term effects that come from them that haven't been presenting because of the newness of these drugs. So far, though, there hasn't been anything to show that long-term use of SSRIs have any debilitating effect on the brain, contrary to anecdotal accounts that claim it permanently alters your neurological receptors.

It seems likely that there could be an extended period where, once you're off the drugs, your brain takes a while to re-configure itself...but they are finding that the brain is more fluid and flexible even at older ages than they thought.

bug on your lip
01-08-2008, 07:36 AM
...but they are finding that the brain is more fluid and flexible even at older ages than they thought.

that's what she said

prettydirtything
02-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Science: Antidepressants Work No Better Than a Placebo (http://medicine.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pmed.0050045&ct=1)
Posted by kdawson on Tuesday February 26, @07:02AM
from the sugar-pills-are-cheaper dept.

Matthew Whalley writes
"Researchers got hold of published and unpublished data from drug companies regarding the effectiveness of the most common antidepressant drugs. Previously, when meta-analyses have been conducted on only the published data, the drugs were shown to have a clinically significant effect. However, when the unpublished data is taken into account the difference between the effects of drug and placebo becomes clinically meaningless ó just a 1 or 2 point difference on a 30-point depression rating scale ó except for the most severely depressed patients. Doctors do not recommend that patients come off antidepressant drugs without support, but this study is likely to lead to a rethink regarding how the drugs are licensed and prescribed."
[+] medicine, science, !true, depressing, cos (tagging beta)

http://science.slashdot.org/science/08/02/26/107234.shtml

gaypalmsprings
02-27-2008, 05:19 PM
you must be a fan of tom cruise

Beef Jerky
02-27-2008, 05:29 PM
I took a tour round the Scientology Center in LA last year, after Coachella. I went with three friends, for the hell of it. We walked in (three guys and one girl) and they made us stand in the lobby and then this hot blonde girl around our age came to show us around. I am sure if we had been three girls and one guy then a hot guy would have been our guide, to lure us in.

Anyway, the tour was predictably ludicrous, and at the end they asked if we wanted to buy any books or ask any questions. We declined the books but I decided to ask a question. I said to her "How long have you been in scientology and why did you join?". She replied "Four years, and I joined because people used to take advantage of me, and I was really gullible before I joined the church, but they helped me change all that."

I swear to god that is what she said.

We had no further questions.
I went to the church of Scientology for celebrities in Hollywood not too long ago for a friend's funeral. I wonder if it's the same one you went to.

Somewhat Damaged
02-27-2008, 09:32 PM
I was put on Abilify about a month ago. My psychiatrist started me off on 5mg and told me a potential side effect could be increased energy so that I should take it in the morning. At 5mg, I didn't really notice any effect, which was a good thing because the reason I've taken myself off Risperdal and Paxil (among other meds) in the past was due to the side effects that came with them. After a couple weeks on 5mg, I had a follow-up appointment. The doctor didn't even look at me, just had his head in my chart and asked how the 5mg were doing. I reported that it was okay so he upped my dosage to 10mg since "5mg is a baby dose."
I got my prescription filled and the first thing I noticed was that the warning label on the bottle said that it "may cause drowsiness." Why was that in direct conflict with what my psychiatrist had told me? How confident could I be in his competence if he didn't warn me about potential drowsiness but a completely opposite effect? I took the 10mg for a little over a week and in that time I started becoming really moody. My psychologist says I'm classifiable as Bipolar Type II; if I had manic episodes on a consistent basis, I would be Type I and be in need of constant medication. As a Type II, though, he doesn't feel that I necessarily need to be on any medication unless I'm experiencing frequent behavioral problems.
And so since June of 2005, I hadn't been taking any meds, which was the first time since May 1999 that I'd been completely unmedicated. In that time, as I've mentioned in here before, I stopped self mutilating and I haven't done any time in the psychiatric ward. (I think I've had 4 stays since 1998, the shortest being 2 days, the longest being 58.) I lost a couple of friendships and relationships in that time, which I just chalked up to the natural course of friendships and relationships dying, but I know that some of my obsessiveness and intense mood swings were very much to blame. I was at a party one time and just fell silent during the course of a conversation and suddenly got up, took the chair I was sitting on and smashed it against a cactus, and stormed off to my car and drove home. I can't recall anybody doing anything to piss me off to warrant that sort of a reaction, I was just suddenly furious. (Actually, come to think of it, that may have happened before I got off meds.)
Anyway, so I took Abilify for a couple of weeks and I noticed that I was in a bad mood a good chunk of the time. I didn't really feel any happiness but I sure as fuck felt sadness. My girlfriend had suggested I started taking something because of my weekly musings on suicidality. (I disagree with her on the frequency of my saying I was depressed and wanted to kill myself; maybe it would happen once a month, which she says is too much, but considering how bad it's been in the past, that's really nothing.) It was last Tuesday when things really came into clear view, though, that the Abilify wasn't working. I was snapping at my boss and just very unapproachable. I wanted to put my fist through the wall and had violent thoughts. I work with security guards, all of whom aren't the brightest people in the world, and having to deal with their stupidity was just getting to me too much and I felt like fucking killing some of them. My boss knew that I had started on a medication and asked me how I was doing with it. I complained that since I moved to the stronger dosage, I was feeling more tired during the day, which was getting me even angrier because I like having an abundant amount of energy when I'm at work and have tons of shit to do, which has been very much the case lately, so feeling sluggish was the last thing I needed. He noted that I did seem to be cranky all the time, and with that being the case, I decided to take myself off the meds altogether. If my psychiatrist called 5mg a "baby dose" and I didn't feel anything on it, then why continue taking it? It's like taking a placebo. And if 10mg was making me cranky all the time and making my life devoid of ever being "up," then what was the point of taking it? I realize that you're supposed to give medications some time to kick in but the thoughts I was having during those two weeks on 10mg were getting to be too much. When you're thinking of running people over with your car, you're so pissed off, or you start having horrifically violent dreams and the images stay with you during the day, how eager are you to continue taking something till those side effects subside?
So I haven't been on anything for a little over a week now and of course I would've liked to have talked to my psychologist about it since then but he was out of town last week so I haven't had an appointment yet. I was hanging out with a friend last night and was in a pissy mood for a good chunk of the evening, not deriving any fun from the company and wishing I hadn't gone over, until I had a mood swing and started feeling like a party machine. (Fortunately I was in control enough to only have 3 drinks at the bar. Don't need another DUI, do I?) And today I was fluctuating a lot, again largely due to circumstances with work (driving 70 miles out of my way to visit one of our sites pissed me the fuck off), but at the end of the work day, I felt like I'd accomplished a lot and was feeling pretty good about myself. But after I got home, I got some writing done on my new script and it just put me in a really dark place and I haven't been able to get myself out of having these really wicked thoughts again. I even went to the gym and tried to strain it out of me but all the exertion seemed to do was make it worse. I've had a few drinks every night this week but there's no liquor in my house right now and I wish there was. I don't know if I'll be able to go to sleep anytime soon but I really need to 'cause I've got a lot of shit to do in the morning. I'm glad I have an appointment with my psychologist tomorrow 'cause I need to get a lot of this stuff off my chest, it just aggravates me that I can't talk right now while I'm feeling this way.

matildawong
02-27-2008, 10:06 PM
I wish I could offer you some sort of intelligent-'sounding' support, Somewhat Damaged. Suffice to say that I can relate to the mood swings and the stopping of medication (even though it is considered dangerous) when I've felt it was necessary. I hope you are able to get some sleep. Maybe the Dr. will really listen to you tomorrow.

Blinken
02-28-2008, 09:26 AM
I haven't read the whole thread yet, I read most it awhile back when i was a lurker but don't remember it all. I just want to add my thoughts. I have a mild form of depression, i know that it runs in my family. I am somewhat reluctant to get it treated, partly because of my experiance with prescription drugs over the years. I have

ADD/ADHD although the ADHD has for most part gone away the ADD is still there. I started on biofeedback training learning to control my brainwaves, for about a year in middleschool. During this time i was put on Ritalin. Started at 5mg and kept increasing dosage as i built up a tolorance to the stuff. So they switched me to Adderall. I started out at 10mg But before i knew it i was taking 40 - 60mg to wake up in the morning and go to school. and another 20mg pill when i got home. Needless to say i became a insomniac. I normally didn't fall asleep until 3 or 4 in the morning, waking up at 7 with more pills. If i had alot of homework i would take even more to stay up and study, with the usually 40 mg before school. Funny thing is people would come up to me thinking was really high or tweeking out, at the time i didn't think so, i thought it was natural sleep deprivation. I always hated taking these pills, so when i went to college and started smoking weed, i stopped taking them, my grades suffered because of this but fuck it. I started to sell them to other students so the could study all night too. I don't take anything other than Zyrtec, for my allergies, now.

maxabukar
03-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Anxiety and depression (http://www.mydepressionmedication.com/) are emotional disorders. Persons affected by anxiety and depression show some specific symptoms. Victims of anxiety and depression often show suicidal tendencies. These disorders can even lead to a separation of the patient from his self.

Encaitare
03-12-2008, 10:54 PM
It's not dangerous, at least the ones that I have. Though they FEEL dangerous and are very unsettling. What I get are periodic electric 'zaps' (for lack of a better word) in my head, related to rapid eye movement. There are lots of different words for it - brain shocks, shivers, paresthesia but I've been having them for over several years and have never been harmed by them. My first fear was that i was going to have a seizure or that i was going to faint. But I've had enough of them now and been reassured often by my MD that they are harmless, yet not entirely understood occurences. Although, I do wonder if there are long-term effects that come from them that haven't been presenting because of the newness of these drugs. So far, though, there hasn't been anything to show that long-term use of SSRIs have any debilitating effect on the brain, contrary to anecdotal accounts that claim it permanently alters your neurological receptors.

It seems likely that there could be an extended period where, once you're off the drugs, your brain takes a while to re-configure itself...but they are finding that the brain is more fluid and flexible even at older ages than they thought.

I can't tell you have great it was to hear someone admit they get these brain zaps, and to know it is (probably) harmless! I just thought I was (extra) crazy.

I had been on numerous types of anti-depressants since I was 13. Due to some financial hardships, and my still feeling depressed a good half the time anyways, I recently stopped taking all of them. Even though I titrated them down safely, I went through fucking HORRID withdrawals, at one point getting these electric jolts every few seconds.

3 months later, I'm still getting them occasionally, (a few times a week) even though all the meds should be out of my system by now.

Has anyone else had this happen? And if anyone else has managed bipolar or similar disorders med-free, got any advice? It hasn't been too great so far.

PotVsKtl
03-12-2008, 10:57 PM
The electric shocks are common when you don't regulate your dosage carefully. Withdrawal guarantees them.

PotVsKtl
03-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Also, goblins.

fatbastard
03-13-2008, 07:13 AM
How is your life without medication? What are you doing to keep regulated?

Encaitare
03-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Right now I'm all over the place, and I'll admit I haven't really done too much about it - I just moved to a new city and started attending a new college and am living on my own, it's all kinda overwhelming. When I'm manic I am thankful and try to get shit accomplished, and usually do. But then I'll crash a few days later and I pretty much just try to sleep it off. I've found it does help somewhat if I go outside, try to get some sun, and just drive down some of the backroads where there's little traffic and listen to upbeat music, just to get out of bed. But with the price of gas that is not a sustainable option.

The thing is, I only feel maybe 20% worse than when I WAS taking the meds, so yeah it's shitty, but it has been for a so many years that it's not that much shittier. Not a great motivation to get back on them, or try something new. Just one day at a time I guess.

fatbastard
03-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Might sound like the obvious but had you tried different meds before coming to the conclusion of getting off them? I understand there are thousands of varieties to choose from and that your diet and blood type come into play as well. I was attracted at a young age to the whole idea of stories and books of the tragically depressed. Being an adult, it's difficult to see friends and family members who deal with depression. It sucks to hear about your difficulties but I am impressed on your focus and mindset to work on yourself. Most people are challenged enough to focus on completing the day.

Hannahrain
03-13-2008, 08:26 PM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080312081256.htm

jenja
03-14-2008, 10:47 AM
O.K.
I attempted reading this entire thread, but skipped to the end by about page four... you are all inspireing in the way you so very articulately write about your issues.
I am diagnosed Type II Bipolar.
I choose not to take prescription medications.

I feel that my disorder is under control for the most part. Don't get me wrong, I deffinately have manic episodes and therefore also depressive one's.
I practice daily meditation, yoga, as well as OUTDOOR excersice.
Being outdoors on a daily basis is key to me staying healthy. Wether it's sunny or pooring buckets, I have to get outside for at least 30 - 60 minutes a day. I do however take daily Bach Flower Essence, with my green tea that I drink throughout the day. And I have been looking into 5HTP...

My question is however, although I feel I have my mood disorder under control. My insomnia has recently come back full force. I no longer sleep for more than an hour or two at a time. And feel the absolute need to get out of bed 5-10 times nightly. I have tried meditation before bed (as my normal routine is morning meditation), also tried chamomile tea to which is calming but doesn't keep me asleep. I tried burning chamomile/lavander oil throughout the night... didn't seem to help.
My girlfriend is getting worried about the fact that the insomnia is prograssively getting much worse. I don't worry to much about it... as I have gone weeks on end without much sleep at all. So only getting a few hours a night seems ok... to me. She has depressive tendansies and has been on zanex for years. She suggests that I either talk to the psychiatrist or take some of her zanex to help. I won't take her zanex. And the only suggestions that the shrink can give me, besides meds of course, I have tried and have failed...
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a non-medicated insomiac??

PotVsKtl
03-14-2008, 10:54 AM
http://www.jamiesonvitamins.com/library/img/6e0330f6-e7b4-4162-9b6a-d600499e1c3d.jpg

thelastgreatman
03-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Also L-Tryptophan. But why do you object to taking the xanax?

jenja
03-14-2008, 11:14 AM
-I- want to be in control of my mind... not give the power to a pill.

Also, just a side note if I smoke before bed I tend to sleep for a longer period of time... I have a card because of my insomnia but my roomate objects to daily smoking when we have class's and work...

Is L-triptophan along the lines of the 5HTP?? OTC supplement?

thelastgreatman
03-14-2008, 11:21 AM
You realize that Xanax only lasts for about 2-4 hours, right? It'd just put you to sleep, and be completely out of your mind long before you woke up? It's not like bipolar medication.

Yes, Tryptophan is a natural supplement, OTC, it's the shit in turkey that makes you sleepy.

jenja
03-14-2008, 11:30 AM
If xanex is out of your system so quickly than would it truelly help me??
I really am in need of something that will keep we asleep. Like I said I am not to bothered by my constant visits to the kitchen/patio/bathroom, but my girl is not very happy about it... besides the fact that my cig. smoking between dust and dawn has gone through the roof... what else is there to do when everyone else is sleeping? lol :)
I am not completely opposed to taking it, although not on a regular basis... I am looking for something that will get me through night after night...

I looked up the L-tryptophan and 5HTP is actually a component of it. I suppose one of these two supplements would be the best bet. I was hoping for some tincture or herb that someone has used besides the few that I've tried that has helped them... we shall see.
Thanks for the suggestion though :) you rock.

thelastgreatman
03-14-2008, 11:35 AM
If you want something herbal, there's always Valerian. Doesn't do shit for me though. Xanax is a nice sleeping pill, but you'll build up tolerance and dependency after time. I still don't think you should turn it down if you REALLY can't sleep some given night, but you're not entirely off-base for being wary.

5-htp won't make you sleepy to the best of my knowledge, not with the kind of symptoms you're talking about. Valerian and Tryptophan, if you want something more natural like.

jenja
03-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Valerian sounds promising...
What I have read it sounds like the perfect fix, the only down side, it has listed as a common side effect as gastrointestinal irritation...
I have a history of stomach ulcers so I would have to keep a close eye on that... but other than that it sounds like my likely next trial route :)

Encaitare
03-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Might sound like the obvious but had you tried different meds before coming to the conclusion of getting off them? I understand there are thousands of varieties to choose from and that your diet and blood type come into play as well. I was attracted at a young age to the whole idea of stories and books of the tragically depressed. Being an adult, it's difficult to see friends and family members who deal with depression. It sucks to hear about your difficulties but I am impressed on your focus and mindset to work on yourself. Most people are challenged enough to focus on completing the day.

Thanks for the acknowledgment, I'm working pretty damn hard right now to keep my life together, and my mental problems isn't something I discuss, or even tell, most of my family or friends about, so it's always good to hear kind words or encouragement, even from a stranger.

And yes, I've been on many, many different types of anti-depressants and anti-psychotics. Since being put on Paxil when I was 13, I've also tried Wellbutrin, Paxil CR, nerontin, lithium, lexapro, topamax, to name a few, as well as several different combinations of them together, all under the supervsion of 5 different psychologists and psychiatrists over the years. Looking back, it was all just a lot of physical and emotional distress while getting used to, then withdrawling from, all of them, but with only slight improvement on the bipolar disorder.

Yablonowitz
03-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Feel free to disregard this, but my understanding of bi-polar is that it isn't something you can do a whole lot about on your own. There seems to be a strong genetic link and symptoms are so similar that I get the impression it's one of the most physically driven disorders out there. I think trying to find ways around it through herbal remedies or other "wholistic" methods is similar to not taking medication for high blood pressure. People shouldn't feel the pressure to not rely on medication to get through it. I think they should, instead, accept the fact that they have a condition that they can not mentally overcome on their own and accept the necessity of medication like a diabetic accepting insulin treatment.

I commend any of you for trying on your own and if you find a way to manage it without meds, that's great. I just hope people with bi-polar (in particular) understand how strongly it is associated with genetic and biological factors.

TomAz
03-15-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't know anything, but I generally agree with yablo in the sense that thinking of mental health as somehow 'different' from physical health, as something to be segregated and thought of differently, is not the best approach. The brain is a body organ just like the heart or liver.

but.. from what I've read science is just starting to grasp the physiological changes that meditation can deliver. Y mentioned hypertension and diabetes, interestingly. here (http://www.theheart.org/article/714763.do)'s an article about meditation lowering blood pressure and decreasing insulin resistance.

thelastgreatman
03-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Bi-polar disorder still seems like an overwhelmingly either misunderstood or misdiagnosed condition. Still never known anyone who had it treated well with medication really.

Meditation is unbelievably effective at many things, the treatment of depression definitely being one of them.

Yablonowitz
03-15-2008, 05:20 PM
I don't know anything, but I generally agree with yablo in the sense that thinking of mental health as somehow 'different' from physical health, as something to be segregated and thought of differently, is not the best approach. The brain is a body organ just like the heart or liver.

but.. from what I've read science is just starting to grasp the physiological changes that meditation can deliver. Y mentioned hypertension and diabetes, interestingly. here (http://www.theheart.org/article/714763.do)'s an article about meditation lowering blood pressure and decreasing insulin resistance.

Yikes, zing. Good point, I'll retreat a bit from what I was saying about outside prescription therapies.

I'm just saying that I don't think people should feel that it's a weakness of their creation if they have bi-polar and acknowledge that you're not a failure if you seek medication that, for some people with bi-polar, has helped.

thelastgreatman
03-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Degrees (and accuracy) of bi-polar condition varies quite a bit. I'm not sure that people can do much about truly severe brain malfunctions. Like severe schizophrenics, well, they're probably fucked. Although certain things--such as meditation--might help them control the symptoms of it a bit.

Encaitare
03-16-2008, 11:29 AM
I totally agree - bi-polar disorder and similar mental disorders are physical problems in the sense that something is wrong with the chemistry or makeup of your brain. Nothing to be ashamed of, or feel guilty about, or anything like that. I have an uncle who has insisted my whole life that I don't have any condition, and that I just need to learn to "suck it up" so to say - learn to not be so emotional or sensitive or whatnot. A lot of people have this notion of mental disorders and depression, and it's total bullshit. Medications and therapy are necessary, just like they would be if anything else was physically wrong with your body. But just like some people respond to antibiotics differently, or different blood pressure medications differently, so it is the same for any mental illness medication. They CAN help, and they CAN make a huge difference, but they just have not for me. I wish they did. But since they don't, and they are also fucking expensive and take huge tolls on your body through side effects, they just are no longer a viable option for me at this point in my life.

Benis23
03-16-2008, 02:11 PM
I totally agree - bi-polar disorder and similar mental disorders are physical problems in the sense that something is wrong with the chemistry or makeup of your brain. Nothing to be ashamed of, or feel guilty about, or anything like that. I have an uncle who has insisted my whole life that I don't have any condition, and that I just need to learn to "suck it up" so to say - learn to not be so emotional or sensitive or whatnot. A lot of people have this notion of mental disorders and depression, and it's total bullshit. Medications and therapy are necessary, just like they would be if anything else was physically wrong with your body. But just like some people respond to antibiotics differently, or different blood pressure medications differently, so it is the same for any mental illness medication. They CAN help, and they CAN make a huge difference, but they just have not for me. I wish they did. But since they don't, and they are also fucking expensive and take huge tolls on your body through side effects, they just are no longer a viable option for me at this point in my life.

What?? You recommend that people take anti-depressants, but at the same time you say that they have 1) emptied your wallet, 2) given you lots of side effects and 3) not helped you at all?

I had a similar experience with anti-depressants, except that I am now pretty resentful towards psychiatrists and pharmaceutical companies.

Yablonowitz
03-16-2008, 06:46 PM
What?? You recommend that people take anti-depressants, but at the same time you say that they have 1) emptied your wallet, 2) given you lots of side effects and 3) not helped you at all?

I had a similar experience with anti-depressants, except that I am now pretty resentful towards psychiatrists and pharmaceutical companies.

Hey, guess what people? Medications have side-effects. Newsflash. ALL medications have side-effects.

And Penis, you seem to have a hard time with complexity - I believe what our friend was saying was that the side effects for him (or her) were not worth it and the medications did not work as well as he/she hoped. Yet, this same, more understanding person, accepts that medication CAN work for people with bi-polar. We're not all the same...people with bi-polar are not all the same. There is not one thing wrong with someone trying a medication for bi-polar - because it IS a genetic/physical condition, highly hereditary and very difficult to live with without SOME kind of treatment. And some people benefit from medication, some don't. Don't turn your own specific experiences with medication as a blanket indictment of them for everyone. Try to understand that the world is a little more complicated than you seem to think it is.

frozen pilgrim
03-16-2008, 07:31 PM
pharmaceutical anti-psychotic medication is almost exclusively a scheme to ply money from people who are lacking natural, social stimuli that trigger the same neurotransmitters to be altered in their levels as the medications affect.

I've been "diagnosed" with a lot of shit. your stock ADHD/OCD combo as a kid, but because (one true diagnosis) I've got a mild to moderate case of synesthesia (nothing like god, I mean RDJ, and probably related a little to psychedelic misuse, but hey, that's life), as a kid, some of the effects of sound and sight crossover caused a diagnosis of me being schizophrenic. that didn't stick. nothing did, really, because all these diagnoses just equate to a slew of prescriptions, none of which I took, and everything that was ever "wrong", I found other ways to self medicate.
I was hyperactive, becxause of a thyroid/adrenaline issue, so I got into fast, guitar driven music and started a band to let out as much adrenaline as possible- being on stage is (to me) the biggest rush ever. I got OUT of the game of being a young actor, which is just balls- being out of school is just not condusive to being socially well adjusted, and not having friends=low dopamine levels from day to day.
pot has been a big part of becoming who I am today- a reliable, completely coherent, (unlike how I portray myself on here) nice, generous, well-read person who has a good job and an even better relaitonship- i wasn't the answer, but i allowed me to regulate my dopamine levels so I wasn't just miserable all the time, and that meant I could establish normal social relationships and connections and get myself back on track-
when I was fourteen, I started to just be normal.
of course, then I got into psychedelics at sixteenish, and things got a bit off track again, because I made the poor choice of trying to experiment with opening my mind when things happening in my family required enough day to day mental expansion that tripping was an unnecessary excess.

it's been a year and a half or more since the last time I took anything other than alcohol, tobacco, and pot.
I'm considering mushrooms at coachella, but perhaps half a pill of pure MDMA before I leave just to see how I am.

anyways, I guess my only useful contribution to this thread is the following:
pharms aren't the answer. neither are other drugs long term. the only answer is straightening out what's causing your unhealthy thinking and or chemical imbalances in the first place.

Benis23
03-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Hey, guess what people? Medications have side-effects. Newsflash. ALL medications have side-effects.

And Penis, you seem to have a hard time with complexity - I believe what our friend was saying was that the side effects for him (or her) were not worth it and the medications did not work as well as he/she hoped. Yet, this same, more understanding person, accepts that medication CAN work for people with bi-polar. We're not all the same...people with bi-polar are not all the same. There is not one thing wrong with someone trying a medication for bi-polar - because it IS a genetic/physical condition, highly hereditary and very difficult to live with without SOME kind of treatment. And some people benefit from medication, some don't. Don't turn your own specific experiences with medication as a blanket indictment of them for everyone. Try to understand that the world is a little more complicated than you seem to think it is.

Wow. You're on anti-depressants, right? So, is being an arrogant, thick-headed douche bag a side effect you have been experiencing, or were you just born that way?

Look, I keep coming on here and sharing my opinions about psychiatric medications. I have taken many classes about this stuff with well-qualified professors, and I really know the studies and the statistics well. I NEVER EVER SAID AND I DARE YOU TO FIND IT AND PROVE ME WRONG that nobody should take medication or that people who are bi-polar should never take medication. My opinion is that anti-depressants are over-prescribed and that pharmaceutical companies are taking advantage of some people who are looking for a fast track to happiness. But not all people. Many people really do suffer from depression, and many people are helped by anti-depressants. I simply think that not quite as many people who are on them really need to be on them.

TomAz
03-17-2008, 06:09 AM
pharmaceutical anti-psychotic medication is almost exclusively a scheme to ply money from people who are lacking natural, social stimuli that trigger the same neurotransmitters to be altered in their levels as the medications affect.

you should see your doctor about getting a prescription for your paranoid delusions.

Yablonowitz
03-17-2008, 06:11 AM
Wow. You're on anti-depressants, right? So, is being an arrogant, thick-headed douche bag a side effect you have been experiencing, or were you just born that way?

Look, I keep coming on here and sharing my opinions about psychiatric medications. I have taken many classes about this stuff with well-qualified professors, and I really know the studies and the statistics well. I NEVER EVER SAID AND I DARE YOU TO FIND IT AND PROVE ME WRONG that nobody should take medication or that people who are bi-polar should never take medication. My opinion is that anti-depressants are over-prescribed and that pharmaceutical companies are taking advantage of some people who are looking for a fast track to happiness. But not all people. Many people really do suffer from depression, and many people are helped by anti-depressants. I simply think that not quite as many people who are on them really need to be on them.

But we were talking about medication in the context of people with bi-polar disorder, not the general widespread use of SSRIs. I don't know why you're changing to subject as a means of defending yourself. You expressed astonishment that the other poster would say that bi-polar CAN be effectively treated with medication (and, for the record, that usually does NOT involve SSRIs) even though they, personally, dealt with more negative side effects than benefits from the drugs. The reason being is that there is a completely different equation between people with diagnosed manic depressive disorder and those taking medication for the more ambiguous "depression." No one's arguing here, that I've seen, that SSRIs aren't over-prescribed. But that wasn't what we were talking about.

The previous poster with bi-polar was simply stating that for him/her, the medications didn't work, but acknowledged that it was a physical/genetic/hereditary disorder that one can not escape from. And, that if medication can work for them, there should be no shame in accepting the fact that it's not a personal failing, but a disorder that needs treatment.

Then you mocked him/her for holding that position while admitting that he/she personally experienced bad side effects from the medications that made them decide to use different ways to treat it.

If your view that medications can be useful for the right people, then I don't understand why you would disagree with their sentiment about people with bi-polar...which is a completely different situation than the more widespread issue of SSRIs and anti-depressants in general.

And stop citing all the classes and research you've been exposed to. It doesn't do anything but make you look like a doofus.

bug on your lip
03-17-2008, 06:44 AM
i'm getting depressed reading this

Encaitare
03-17-2008, 11:19 AM

What he said

Yes, I still think anti-depressants can work for some people. But every body is different, and no one will react the exact same way to them. They didn't work for me, but they may some day, and I know people for which they have. And call me crazy, but if someone can end immense suffering and better their lives by taking a tiny pill once a day, then I say by all means, do it. Happiness, or at least mental well-being, is far more important than weight gain, nausea, etc or having to pay the pharmacy once a month.

TomAz
03-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Happiness is a warm gun. Bang bang shoot shoot.

downingthief
03-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Thank you Tom, for the clarity.

fatbastard
03-17-2008, 01:47 PM
What he said

Yes, I still think anti-depressants can work for some people. But every body is different, and no one will react the exact same way to them. They didn't work for me, but they may some day, and I know people for which they have. And call me crazy, but if someone can end immense suffering and better their lives by taking a tiny pill once a day, then I say by all means, do it. Happiness, or at least mental well-being, is far more important than weight gain, nausea, etc or having to pay the pharmacy once a month.

People need to evalaute themselves after receiving medicine to determine if the benefits outweigh the side effects. Lack of sleep may be relieved but migranes may take it's place. It's seems like there are so many variables and that it would take years and years to determine if medication is the answer. The good news is that there is plenty to choose from. Look at Patrick Swazye, he doesn't have a choice and his days are pretty much counted. At least there are alternatives. I wonder how many people just "deal" with their side effects and don't think twice about it. I also wonder why depression is such a common thing now days. It's Bush right?

Encaitare
03-17-2008, 10:07 PM
People need to evalaute themselves after receiving medicine to determine if the benefits outweigh the side effects. Lack of sleep may be relieved but migranes may take it's place. It's seems like there are so many variables and that it would take years and years to determine if medication is the answer. The good news is that there is plenty to choose from. Look at Patrick Swazye, he doesn't have a choice and his days are pretty much counted. At least there are alternatives. I wonder how many people just "deal" with their side effects and don't think twice about it. I also wonder why depression is such a common thing now days. It's Bush right?

I do think clinical depression is over-diagnosed, just like ADD/ADHD and other disorders for which there is no true way to test for them. But when the diagnosis is correct, and you are given medication that makes the unbearable symptoms go away, and you instead feel only minor symptoms, I think it is a good situation. I would take a headache over panic attacks, or weight gain over depression so intense that you just sit in your room and scream and cry until you are so exhausted that you sleep for days straight, having to leave work and drop out of school, any day. And so would anyone.

And I don't see how Swayze or cancer have anything to do with this, besides the fact that they are both potentially deadly diseases that can destroy lives and families. Cancer is not always genetic, and can often be completely cured. Depression is often genetic, and for some people, can never be cured, or even alleviated.

fatbastard
03-18-2008, 05:18 AM
Just making the point that people with clinical depression at least have alternatives. There are people who have been diagnosed with other ailments where there are no alternatives .i.e. Patrick Swazye.

Encaitare
03-18-2008, 03:57 PM
and I'm just making the point that sometimes people with depression DONT have any alternatives, just like sometimes people with even ominous ailments like cancer DO.

jinkajone
03-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Anxiety medication helps reduce the symptoms of anxiety. They do not completely cure anxiety and every person responds individually to the medication.
http://www.myanxietyattacks.com/anxiety-cures/anxiety-medication/

thelastmejia
03-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Anxiety medication helps reduce the symptoms of anxiety. They do not completely cure anxiety and every person responds individually to the medication.
http://www.myanxietyattacks.com/anxiety-cures/anxiety-medication/

Thers no real cure for an anxiety disorder, there are treatments to control it and curb it but no real cure to make it go away forever. my wife has it and she constantly has to watch herself to make sure she can calm herself down before shes a full attack. Her psych recommenced Kava Kava supplements if you don't want to take prescribed medicine and another thing a person can try is smoking pot, no joke it really helps with the anxiety overall.

thelastgreatman
03-24-2008, 08:46 PM
No psychiatric medication is ever a cure in and of itself. They can be treatments to help curb symptoms and eventually the condition can go away, either due to change in body chemistry, lifestyle, behavioral therapy...

thelastmejia
03-24-2008, 08:56 PM
If xanex is out of your system so quickly than would it truelly help me??
I really am in need of something that will keep we asleep. Like I said I am not to bothered by my constant visits to the kitchen/patio/bathroom, but my girl is not very happy about it... besides the fact that my cig. smoking between dust and dawn has gone through the roof... what else is there to do when everyone else is sleeping? lol :)
I am not completely opposed to taking it, although not on a regular basis... I am looking for something that will get me through night after night...

I looked up the L-tryptophan and 5HTP is actually a component of it. I suppose one of these two supplements would be the best bet. I was hoping for some tincture or herb that someone has used besides the few that I've tried that has helped them... we shall see.
Thanks for the suggestion though :) you rock.

Have you considered quiting smoking, studies have shown that the nicotine in cigarettes don't help much in keeping you in restful state of sleep and lots of exercise in the mornings to help make your body naturally want to crave sleep by exhausting your energy

maxabukar
04-24-2008, 09:29 PM
click here for depression medication (http://www.mydepressionmedication.com/)

maxabukar
05-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Depression is one of the most common and most serious mental health problems facing people today. Depression can interfere with a person's ability to function effectively throughout the day.
http://www.mydepressionmedication.com/

Jenniehoo
05-06-2008, 10:03 PM
For some reason, I get the feeling you're not genuinely interested in my depression...

PotVsKtl
05-06-2008, 10:16 PM
I'll vouch for maxabukar, he's a stand-up dude. I buy all my oxygen masks from him.

BROKENDOLL
05-06-2008, 10:20 PM
For some reason, I get the feeling you're not genuinely interested in my depression... Jenniehoo, let me scan through the rest of the threads real quick and then I'll come back n' cheer you up! :)-

Jenniehoo
05-06-2008, 10:21 PM
BUT I'LL BE DEAD BY THEN

bballarl
05-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Stop being emo about your depression.

Jenniehoo
05-06-2008, 10:25 PM
SMISH

That was the sound of suicide.

BROKENDOLL
05-06-2008, 11:06 PM
SMISH

That was the sound of suicide.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/dakinishir/lolcats/impossibleescape.jpg

Encaitare
05-08-2008, 09:15 PM
So Saturday morning at Coachella I had a really bad panic attack, but I managed to calm myself down for the rest of the day. Sunday was way worse, and my husband had to take me home - the first time we've missed a day of Coachella since we started going. It was pretty shitty.

I called to make an appointment with the campus Psychiatrist when I got home, since I'm thinking maybe now is the time to retry medications, or at least therapy, since this shit has been going on for a while now and just getting worse. They told me they'd call me back when they have availability. That was over a week ago, and I've called back and left messages a few times, and talked to the secretary who insists "we're just so busy this time of year".

And people wonder why there are so many shootings/violence, and other problems on college campuses. (not that I'm gonna go psycho)

GAH

algunz
05-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Hang in there Encai.

BROKENDOLL
05-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Encaitare~ Is there a reason you have to see someone on campus? Insurance? School Policy? Just curious...

gaypalmsprings
05-08-2008, 10:18 PM
So Saturday morning at Coachella I had a really bad panic attack, but I managed to calm myself down for the rest of the day. Sunday was way worse, and my husband had to take me home - the first time we've missed a day of Coachella since we started going. It was pretty shitty.

I called to make an appointment with the campus Psychiatrist when I got home, since I'm thinking maybe now is the time to retry medications, or at least therapy, since this shit has been going on for a while now and just getting worse. They told me they'd call me back when they have availability. That was over a week ago, and I've called back and left messages a few times, and talked to the secretary who insists "we're just so busy this time of year".

And people wonder why there are so many shootings/violence, and other problems on college campuses. (not that I'm gonna go psycho)

GAH

I hope your husband is understanding. Is there a public mental health place you can go to while awaiting an appointment? Best wishes & be persistent.

Encaitare
05-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Brokendoll - yeah, I can only go to the campus health center because I'm on the shitty school insurance plan - to be enrolled at any UC you have to have insurance, so I got the one that through the school and advertised as being the "most convenient" and affordable.

gaypalmsprings - thankfully my husband is awesome and amazing and totally understanding, (we've been best friends since jr. high, so he's seen me at my ups and downs). I can't go to any local mental health places because they are either only for those without insurance, and wont see me because I'm a student and am supposed to go to the campus one, or are private practitioners who wont see me because I can't afford it.

But I am being persistent. I sent an email to the city newspaper, because this has been a constant problem for me and many others at the health center, and I'm being interviewed for an investigative article next week. Hopefully this will get the public's attention, since the many people I've contacted at the school (including the director of health services, and the Dean), don't seem to have the time for me.

thanks for all the good wishes, it actually means a lot. :-)

TomAz
05-09-2008, 08:26 PM
maybe you're panicking that you got married too young

Encaitare
05-10-2008, 11:34 AM
maybe you're panicking that you got married too young

Yeah, pretty sure that's not it. We're both 21, and in the town we grew up in, most people were on their 3rd or 4th kid by then. We've been together for 4 years, and have pretty level heads on our shoulders, (even with my mental illness, I'm not incapable of making sound decisions).

Yablonowitz
05-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Yeah, pretty sure that's not it. We're both 21, and in the town we grew up in, most people were on their 3rd or 4th kid by then. We've been together for 4 years, and have pretty level heads on our shoulders, (even with my mental illness, I'm not incapable of making sound decisions).

Pay no attention to Zippy the Pinhead. The state of psychiatry is pretty bad right now in terms of numbers and will probably get worse over time. Hang in there.

thelastgreatman
05-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Hey Yabs, why'd you disappear?

Yablonowitz
05-10-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm a very busy and important man, Randy.

thelastgreatman
05-10-2008, 03:05 PM
You lack articles, sir.

Yablonowitz
05-10-2008, 03:19 PM
You lack articles, sir.

I don't have time for articles.

thelastgreatman
05-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Your avatar kinda looks like you at forty five.

Yablonowitz
05-10-2008, 03:28 PM
I'll have to take up smoking. Actually, I'm thinking of changing it to Judge Judy.

thelastgreatman
05-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Then it will look like you at fifty five.

Yablonowitz
05-10-2008, 03:39 PM
You think?

Beef Jerky
07-02-2008, 06:33 PM
I need help.
Or my mom does, rather. She's so severely depressed I can't take care of her by myself. It's so bad that she's been on disability for over a month now. Last month she was taken in to a psychiatric facility where she stayed for 7 days. After being released, things were starting to look good then all of a sudden her conditions were back to where she started or even worse.
I don't even know where to begin. This sucks. She's making my life miserable.

Pixiessp
07-02-2008, 07:02 PM
has she been this way all her life or is this something relatively new?

RotationSlimWang
07-02-2008, 09:46 PM
What kind of meds do they have her on?

Beef Jerky
07-03-2008, 05:22 AM
has she been this way all her life or is this something relatively new?

She's been like this since her mid 30s and she is 44 now.
She's on so many meds. I can only name one of the prescriptions she is taking which is somas.

fatbastard
07-03-2008, 06:59 AM
No information to pass along but best wishes for your situation. It requires a large amount of strengthto assist depressed family members.

jigsaw
07-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Ho shit son...I came to work way too blazed today.

Young blood
07-03-2008, 07:47 AM
I heard ice cream always works. mint chip.

bakersfield
07-03-2008, 09:19 AM
anybody out there take Lexapro?

locachica73
07-03-2008, 09:23 AM
anybody out there take Lexapro?

I do, gotta love happy pills.

jigsaw
07-03-2008, 09:24 AM
I am listening to the Portishead song THREADS. Fuckin' stoney.

Pixiessp
07-03-2008, 11:33 AM
She's on so many meds. I can only name one of the prescriptions she is taking which is somas.

that's some strong stuff. the mind is such a complex thing.
I have never had to deal with a family member with depression.
My experience has been with Alzheimer's. wish i had some advice to give you.
A support group might help you. it's a good way to relieve some of the tension/anxiety you could be feeling.

BROKENDOLL
07-03-2008, 11:54 AM
She's on so many meds. I can only name one of the prescriptions she is taking which is somas. The fact that I'm old enough to be your mother depresses me...

Somewhat Damaged
07-03-2008, 11:55 AM
The fact that I'm old enough to be your mother depresses me...

Aren't you old enough to be pretty much everyone's mother around here? Even Tom's?

RotationSlimWang
07-03-2008, 12:11 PM
that's some strong stuff. the mind is such a complex thing.
I have never had to deal with a family member with depression.
My experience has been with Alzheimer's. wish i had some advice to give you.
A support group might help you. it's a good way to relieve some of the tension/anxiety you could be feeling.

There is nothing remotely strong about Somas.

Jerky, I need to know what actual antidepressants your mother is on cause it doesn't sound like they're doing the job. Somas are not antidepressants. I know you go to the doctor with your mom, so are you paying attention to how she's being treated or not?

Young blood
07-03-2008, 12:25 PM
No Randy, she will not sell her moms drugs to you.

TomAz
07-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Yeah Soma is a mild muscle relaxant. they give it to people with sore necks and stuff.

Mr.Nipples
07-03-2008, 12:34 PM
you can get somas through the pennysaver

fatbastard
07-03-2008, 12:36 PM
The fact that I'm old enough to be your mother depresses me...

I mentioned going to EDC last weekend to a co-worker. They mentioned that her "grandaughter" also went.

bakersfield
07-03-2008, 12:49 PM
I do, gotta love happy pills.

They sure have mellowed me out!

locachica73
07-03-2008, 12:53 PM
They sure have mellowed me out!

Yeah, with all the trouble my teens were getting into and my own personal demons it was necessary. I was having alot of anger/depression and would yell for no reason, or for plenty of reason but should not have gotten as angry as I was, then I was having trouble sleeping on top of it so the doc put me on lexepro to calm me down and Trazadone to help me sleep. I feel alot happier about life these days.

BROKENDOLL
07-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Aren't you old enough to be pretty much everyone's mother around here? Even Tom's? Tom's mother? Geez, Somewhat, I was startin' to like you...LOL! But, yeah, I may be old enough to be a mother to alot of you, but does it matter if I'm young enough to keep up with you?

amyzzz
07-03-2008, 01:55 PM
I am listening to the Portishead song THREADS. Fuckin' stoney.
"Threads" makes me want to kill myself. In a good way.

Blinken
07-03-2008, 01:56 PM
What is the "good" way Amy?

amyzzz
07-03-2008, 01:57 PM
It was a joke. :)
:) :) :)

TomAz
07-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Tom's mother? Geez, Somewhat, I was startin' to like you...LOL! But, yeah, I may be old enough to be a mother to alot of you, but does it matter if I'm young enough to keep up with you?

You have a lot in common with my mother, actually. She's been dead for 15 years.

BROKENDOLL
07-03-2008, 02:44 PM
You have a lot in common with my mother, actually. She's been dead for 15 years. We may have alot in common, but thank God we don't have everything in common!

Beef Jerky
07-03-2008, 09:36 PM
She's taking
-Seroquel
-Lexapro
-Somas
-Ambien
-Clonazepam
and I don't know what else.

algunz
07-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Find out what else.

Beef Jerky
07-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Right now I'm letting her take only somas, clonazepam, and ambien. I had to take her meds away cuz she was ODing.

algunz
07-03-2008, 10:01 PM
You should still find out what else. She may also have things stashed.

The situation sucks. Sorry, Beef.

Somewhat Damaged
07-03-2008, 10:10 PM
She's taking
-Seroquel
-Lexapro
-Somas
-Ambien
-Clonazepam

I'm pretty sure I've taken 3 of these. Had so many different things prescribed over the past decade, I can't keep track of 'em all.

Was put on Abilify for a couple weeks in February. Didn't feel that I really needed to be on any meds since I've been doing well for the past 3 years without taking them, but then there's the girlfriend and psychologist suggesting that taking medication when you're bipolar is as necessary as taking insulin when you're diabetic and your resolve starts to weaken. I noticed immediately that I was always in a bad mood and my boss would ask me on a daily basis if I was all right 'cause I kept snapping at him. I know that one should give a medication a month or so to become effective but I've never been inclined to put up with that month of getting used to it when thoughts of murder and suicide start popping up on an hourly basis.

Pixiessp
07-04-2008, 12:10 AM
She's taking
-Seroquel
-Lexapro
-Somas
-Ambien
-Clonazepam

my mom took Seroquel for a spell. it turned her into a zombie.

RotationSlimWang
07-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Right now I'm letting her take only somas, clonazepam, and ambien. I had to take her meds away cuz she was ODing.

Um... the ones you're giving her are the only ones she could conceivably OD on.

Gunz, why do you assume she must be on something else?

Backwater
07-04-2008, 12:18 AM
thoughts of murder and suicide start popping up on an hourly basis.

That's a sign of needing help immediately. I've had similiar experiences in my life and trust me, help is needed, right Now!

Beef Jerky
07-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Um... the ones you're giving her are the only ones she could conceivably OD on.

I swear she takes pills like candy. She goes nuts when she can't get pills. I can't look after her 24-7. She needs those meds for her anxiety.

RotationSlimWang
07-04-2008, 11:41 AM
I swear she takes pills like candy. She goes nuts when she can't get pills. I can't look after her 24-7. She needs those meds for her anxiety.

Jerky, I understand what you're saying but my point is that the Lexapro and Seroquel (neither of which I necessarily agree with taking) are the only two out of those five that really aren't potentially dangerous if abused. They won't get her high, for example.

locachica73
07-04-2008, 12:16 PM
You can't just take her off of a medication either. It can make things worse. What has her doc said about taking her off the meds?

Yablonowitz
07-06-2008, 10:07 PM

That's a truly puzzling decision. There's no reason to take her of the Lexapro...especially without tapering down. She can't realistically OD on that. Plus it probably has the best chance of helping her out in the long run.

Is she seeing a psychiatrist for prescriptions and consultation as opposed to a family doctor or an internist? If she isn't...she should, in my opinion. Plus, she needs to follow the dosing instructions the psychiatrist gives her. If she's not, she's probably just making matters worse for her.

Also, what is her official diagnosis? Serious depression? Behavior?

I'm not asking because I'm going to be like Randy and pretend to be a doctor, I'm just wondering if she and you are actually going about treatment in the right way. It sounds pretty ad hoc and less than stable. If she's going up and down and changing doses on all or a few of those drugs, you're never going to be able to separate her condition from the behavior that results from not properly taking medications.

johnmark1986
07-16-2008, 02:18 AM
Iím also suffering from depression since last one year. My doctor prescribes me xanax for medication. Please suggest me should I take it or not? Is this really effective in this issue? Iíve come across the sites like http://www.xanax-effects.com which provides information about xanax and also provide xanax pills worldwide.

Mr.Nipples
07-16-2008, 04:54 AM
Iím also suffering from depression since last one year. My doctor prescribes me xanax for medication. Please suggest me should I take it or not? Is this really effective in this issue? Iíve come across the sites like http://www.xanax-effects.com which provides information about xanax and also provide xanax pills worldwide.

fuck you.

locachica73
07-16-2008, 07:49 AM
xanax is actually more of a anti anxiety pill for when your having panic attacks, or just want a really good buzz. I don't really think they work for depression so much, it is more of a pop one when you are freaking out, not take it everyday and be a zombie. But I could be totally wrong, I just know that when I was younger and having some serious issues my doc gave them to me for my panic attacks and they worked really well when I had to get on the subway in NYC.

gaypalmsprings
07-16-2008, 08:10 AM
She's taking
-Seroquel
-Lexapro
-Somas
-Ambien
-Clonazepam

She's killing herself & burning you out. Has she tried an inpatient detox program?

How many different doctors does she have?

JustSteve
07-16-2008, 08:52 AM
xanax is actually more of a anti anxiety pill for when your having panic attacks, or just want a really good buzz. I don't really think they work for depression so much, it is more of a pop one when you are freaking out, not take it everyday and be a zombie. But I could be totally wrong, I just know that when I was younger and having some serious issues my doc gave them to me for my panic attacks and they worked really well when I had to get on the subway in NYC.

i think you misunderstood the gist of that post. it was :spam

yesterday i had a picc line placed here in the hospital for my treatment of a lung infection over the next few weeks. i received sedation in the form of 2g's of ativan via iv. that shit knocked me out so hard, a lot of yesterday is a blur to me. i have taken that stuff in pill form in the past, but man the i.v. version was strooooong!

locachica73
07-16-2008, 08:57 AM
You are right, I didn't catch that. Thank you. :)

The only i.v. drug I have had was demeral (sp?) when I was in labor. Man that shit was good, I wish I could get some just for fun and not actually have to leave the hospital with a baby in order to get it.

amyzzz
07-16-2008, 09:00 AM
You are right, I didn't catch that. Thank you. :)

The only i.v. drug I have had was demeral (sp?) when I was in labor. Man that shit was good, I wish I could get some just for fun and not actually have to leave the hospital with a baby in order to get it.
I had stadol <sp?>; it made me hallucinate. (this was before I'd ever tried hallucinagens btw)

chairmenmeow47
07-16-2008, 09:01 AM
i hate i.v.'s mainly because whoever is putting them in always makes an "i.v. in the ivy" joke and i have to laugh since they have control of my body.

locachica73
07-16-2008, 09:07 AM
I had stadol <sp?>; it made me hallucinate. (this was before I'd ever tried hallucinagens btw)

The Demeral actually made me sleep between contractions. Then my ex, trying to be all nice for a change, would wipe my brow with a damp cloth while I was asleep and I would scream at him to leave me the fuck alone. But no hallucinations. I have never actually taken a hallucinagen, I am scared of a bad time.

locachica73
07-16-2008, 09:09 AM
i hate i.v.'s mainly because whoever is putting them in always makes an "i.v. in the ivy" joke and i have to laugh since they have control of my body.

LOL ok that is cute. I hate i.v.'s because they can never find my veins and when I tell them in advance that it would be best to go through my hand because the veins are easier to find there the nurse always thinks she is better then everyone else who has tried in the past so she digs around for a few, then calls in the "special" nurse to dig around, then they finally decide to go through my hand. Bastards.

gaypalmsprings
07-16-2008, 09:09 AM

That comment was the cat's meow.

This reminds me of the goldfish in the I.V. drip bag in the movie Young Doctors in Love.

iv3rdawG
07-16-2008, 09:11 AM

:p

It sucks when you have interns doing it and they have to put it in three times to get it right :nono

JustSteve
07-16-2008, 09:12 AM
i once had a nurse cry because she tried 7 or 8 times to get an i.v. started in my hand and failed. i tried to tell her it was fine, but she felt horrible. why do they do that, though? let the shitty nurses try first before getting the good ones who do it in one stick? the best i.v. starters i have come across are anesthesiologists.

locachica73
07-16-2008, 09:20 AM
I got an i.v. once and the lady thought she got it, walked away, and i ended up with a big bubble of liquid under my skin. Dumb bitch.

amyzzz
07-16-2008, 09:24 AM
I apparently have really nice veins for such things. My mom who used to be a nurse told me that--kind of an odd thing to say but whatever.

locachica73
07-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Mine are better now that I drink more water but at that time I never drank much water. Hard to get the veins when your dehydrated apparently.

Beef Jerky
07-16-2008, 06:14 PM
She's killing herself & burning you out. Has she tried an inpatient detox program?

How many different doctors does she have?

She started seeing a new psychiatrist, psychologist, and therapist this past week. They put her on higher dosage of Lexapro and Seroquel.
So far she's doing much better.

matildawong
07-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Glad to hear that your mom's doing better.

Beef Jerky
07-17-2008, 04:40 AM
Thank you. You people are so kind!

brando4n82
09-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Does anyone have anything good or bad or anything to say at all about Lexapro? My girlfriend was prescribed it for depression and anxiety. she is a bit apprehensive about taking it after what shes read online. Just wondering if anything had an personal experiences with it?

amyzzz
09-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Again, I think Locachica takes it.

Courtney
09-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks for re-posting Brando :)

What has your girlfriend read that makes her so apprehensive? Personally, I'd be prone to take the advice of a psychiatrist over something I read on the internet, but it's definitely good to be well-informed when making decisions about your own health.

brando4n82
09-16-2008, 07:25 PM
apparently it wasnt a psychiatrist, but another docotr of sourts (i didnt ask what kind)

but she is concerned about insomnia, weight gain, decreased sex drive, and being unmotivated.

locachica73
09-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Does anyone have anything good or bad or anything to say at all about Lexapro? My girlfriend was prescribed it for depression and anxiety. she is a bit apprehensive about taking it after what shes read online. Just wondering if anything had an personal experiences with it?

I am on it and it works really well, no weird side effects, unlike others I have tried, just make sure they start her on a low dose and work her up to where she needs to be.

brando4n82
09-16-2008, 07:50 PM
thank you very much.

gaypalmsprings
09-16-2008, 08:20 PM
It takes at least 6 weeks for the Lexapro to work - and longer than that for side effects to lessen - so tell "your friend" that she should see a competent psychiatrist who will consistently follow-up with her in adjusting/changing meds if need be, and monitoring the positive and negative effects of Lexapro or any mood-altering meds.

Beef Jerky
09-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Ew I'd rather be depressed than deal with weight gain and lack of sex drive.

locachica73
09-17-2008, 08:08 AM
I have not suffered from either of those problems, in fact its more of the opposite. Which also makes me happy. :)

Courtney
09-17-2008, 10:09 AM
she should see a competent psychiatrist who will consistently follow-up with her in adjusting/changing meds if need be, and monitoring the positive and negative effects of Lexapro or any mood-altering meds.

Truth.

locachica73
09-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Yes and you have to do the rechecks, some of those meds after being on for long periods of time change the effectiveness. My father had been on one for years and years and it stopped working or changed somehow and he tried to commit suicide. So it is important to go see the prescribing doctor every 3 months for rechecks.

amyzzz
09-26-2008, 09:11 AM
So I'm kinda thinking I should give in and go see a psychiatrist. Every once in a while (like yesterday) my mood takes a real nose-dive and I wonder how I'm gonna get through the day. I stuck it out at work yesterday, but I'm wondering if I should go to a doc, get prescriptions for something or at least talk to someone. I just don't want to get stuck on anti-depressants. I wouldn't mind getting a little xanax now and again though. Any advice?

locachica73
09-26-2008, 09:34 AM
So I'm kinda thinking I should give in and go see a psychiatrist. Every once in a while (like yesterday) my mood takes a real nose-dive and I wonder how I'm gonna get through the day. I stuck it out at work yesterday, but I'm wondering if I should go to a doc, get prescriptions for something or at least talk to someone. I just don't want to get stuck on anti-depressants. I wouldn't mind getting a little xanax now and again though. Any advice?

xanax is more of an anxiety med, they gave it to me back when I use to get panic attacks. If the mood swings are more often then once in awhile they will probably put you on something like lexapro or something similar. I recommend going to a psychiatrist though, when I had my initial visit they did a thorough interview to find out what the best meds would be for me. My psychiatrist is a great doc, he looks like captain kangaroo with the twirly mustache and everything but still a good doc. Although he is way up on 7th Street and Thunderbird. But I would recommend him if your interested.

amyzzz
09-26-2008, 09:47 AM
I was getting ahead of myself. I also get paranoid about things, so that would be for the xanax (forgot to put that in there). I just realized this week that I go grab some coffee to boost my mood at work and then I start freaking out getting paranoid about things, so I guess I better lay off the caffeine. But I do also get paranoid about my work sometimes when I realize I have to go consult other people for help--I have a lot of trouble talking to people in general. Just not sure if I want to get a bunch of crazy meds for it with all the shitty side effects.

kreutz2112
09-26-2008, 09:51 AM
sex change.

amyzzz
09-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Not sure if I wanna OD on testosterone, but thanks for the input.

kreutz2112
09-26-2008, 09:55 AM
you're a woman?

locachica73
09-26-2008, 09:58 AM
yeah the side effects suck. the only one I notice with lexapro so far is if I miss my dose 2 days in a row I start to get what I call tracers. When I turn my head to look at something it seems like it takes my eyes a minute to catch up. Kind of makes me a bit dizzy but that is why I am not suppose to skip my doses lol.

amyzzz
09-26-2008, 09:58 AM
You've got a big bug up your butt today, kreutz. :thu

amyzzz
09-26-2008, 10:00 AM
yeah the side effects suck. the only one I notice with lexapro so far is if I miss my dose 2 days in a row I start to get what I call tracers. When I turn my head to look at something it seems like it takes my eyes a minute to catch up. Kind of makes me a bit dizzy but that is why I am not suppose to skip my doses lol.I remember your commenting on how sometimes you don't care about things that you really should care about while on this drug, and I'm scared about that effect.

locachica73
09-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Yes that is also an issue, in fact I really need to call my doc and get in to see him, he upped my dose last time and I think maybe I need to lower it again or something. I was on 10mg's and now I am on 20mgs. I wonder if they do 15 lol. But it is better then where I was before. It was like my whole life was a calgone commercial. Every little sound, dog barking, tv, kids, the beeping of my seat belt clicker if I didn't plug it in right away would have me wanting to stab myself in the ears. Not a good place to be.

TheWatcher
09-26-2008, 08:18 PM

My daughter took Lexapro and then Celexa for a couple years. Result is that she gained a LOT of weight. Search for Lexapro or Celexa (similar drug) and you will find thousands of posts from people who gained significant weight and it can take years to take the weight off again. I think almost any anti-depressant will cause weight gain, but seems like this one is pretty bad.

amyzzz
09-27-2008, 01:01 AM
If I gain weight in certain places, might not be too bad (although I know what places I will gain weight in, and they won't be good places).

fatbastard
09-27-2008, 05:58 AM
I need help identifying good places and bad places.

gaypalmsprings
09-27-2008, 06:04 AM
I need help identifying good places and bad places.

Man boobs are fun.

fatbastard
09-27-2008, 06:22 AM
Man boobs are fun.

Then I'm a rave.

bakersfield
09-27-2008, 07:18 AM
I remember your commenting on how sometimes you don't care about things that you really should care about while on this drug, and I'm scared about that effect.

^I found that to be true at times.
I took Lexapro for a year and a half.
It kind of takes the edge off. That is good, because I had a total
edge to me where I would get pissed & upset quick.
BUT, it also could be a drag because it would at times go to the other extreme,
where I did not quite have the drive I was used to. My "go-getter" attitude was not there.
I have gotten off of it for now.
Seems like I am able to cope now better than I could prior to being on it. Overall it had a positive effect on me.

amyzzz
09-27-2008, 08:44 AM
I don't have much motivation to begin with, so that probably wouldn't matter. I'm stuck in a dead-end but secure job, and I'm hoping to be able to quit sometime in the future and just be a mom for a little while.

Jon Blazed
09-27-2008, 08:57 AM
(i can't read all this but i read your post from yesterday)

amyzzz,

I think you should just try to adjust your diet and exersize routines. I have to take a pill everyday for a physical problem and I don't want to because I am not sure what the longterm side effects could be. I would try to keep it natural and from the earth as much as you could. Maybe fruit and vegetables and for exersize biking or yoga. Really what ever your into. It is really hard but that is my plan too. This is true for the drugzzz too. Chronic and Shrooms only no more ACID.

amyzzz
09-27-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm going to try to lay off the caffeine and acid, and maybe try to exercise more. I'm not really "into" anything, which is part of the problem. I eat pretty well when I eat fresh fruits and veggies, but I hate to cook so much that a lot of time I eat fattening crap because it's easy.

sbessiso
09-27-2008, 09:18 AM
no more acid?? Oh No!

What are the long-term affects?

Jon Blazed
09-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Of Acid? Insanity.

sbessiso
09-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Then there's no need to stop now

SoulDischarge
09-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Actually, in all seriousness (I'm not sure if this has been covered in this thread or not, and I'm too lazy to look), how compatible are anti-depressants/anxiety medications and hallucinogens and other narcotics? Is it a really bad idea to mix them? I've got a lot of reservations about trying out meds, and obviously I should talk to a professional about the majority of them, but I doubt any of them are going to encourage illegal drug use. Any first hand perspectives?

Jon Blazed
09-27-2008, 09:32 AM
I think that's the only side effect. It could be bad if you got insainly depressed. Yoshi you are just insainly gay.

Jon Blazed
09-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Actually, in all seriousness (I'm not sure if this has been covered in this thread or not, and I'm too lazy to look), how compatible are anti-depressants/anxiety medications and hallucinogens and other narcotics? Is it a really bad idea to mix them? I've got a lot of reservations about trying out meds, and obviously I should talk to a professional about the majority of them, but I doubt any of them are going to encourage illegal drug use. Any first hand perspectives?

Yeah but they do encourge leagal drug use. They are pushed by major drug companies to make some cash. Doctors perscribe legal drugs and don't encourage natural remedies. They only think about right now and what is working for you. Rarely have I experience doctors that attack the long term solution.

Jon Blazed
09-27-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm going to try to lay off the caffeine and acid, and maybe try to exercise more. I'm not really "into" anything, which is part of the problem. I eat pretty well when I eat fresh fruits and veggies, but I hate to cook so much that a lot of time I eat fattening crap because it's easy.

You could try tennis, walking, biking, swimming. Just wear a head sweat band because its hot in Pheonix.

Benis23
09-27-2008, 10:20 AM
(i can't read all this but i read your post from yesterday)

amyzzz,

I think you should just try to adjust your diet and exersize routines. I have to take a pill everyday for a physical problem and I don't want to because I am not sure what the longterm side effects could be. I would try to keep it natural and from the earth as much as you could. Maybe fruit and vegetables and for exersize biking or yoga. Really what ever your into. It is really hard but that is my plan too. This is true for the drugzzz too. Chronic and Shrooms only no more ACID.

I agree with this. Things like improving your diet, getting more exercise, being more social, taking yoga classes, etc. can all really improve your mood, and they don't have all the side effects of anti-depressants. I was on an anti-depressant for a couple of years and I gained weight, had a decreased sex drive and became more lazy and drowsy.

The other thing to remember is - no one is happy all of time. I feel like a lot of people have this expectation and pharmaceutical companies take advantage of it. Happiness and sadness are major human emotions, and you don't get one without the other.

Benis23
09-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Personally, I'd be prone to take the advice of a psychiatrist over something I read on the internet.

Nor sure about this. It is not necessarily going to be in the psychiatrist's financial interest to do what is best for you. The more people take anti-depressants and pay for regular visits to see a psychiatrist, the more successful psychiatrists are.

BROKENDOLL
09-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Actually, in all seriousness (I'm not sure if this has been covered in this thread or not, and I'm too lazy to look), how compatible are anti-depressants/anxiety medications and hallucinogens and other narcotics? Is it a really bad idea to mix them? I've got a lot of reservations about trying out meds, and obviously I should talk to a professional about the majority of them, but I doubt any of them are going to encourage illegal drug use. Any first hand perspectives? I'm picturing you standing in front of a mirror, smiling from ear to ear as the rest of your face melts away...Is that compatible?

amyzzz
09-27-2008, 12:25 PM
no more acid?? Oh No!

What are the long-term affects?
I don't know, but I keep hearing a lot about paranoia, and I've been a bit more paranoid lately. But I've also been taking advantage of the free coffee at work when I know I don't handle my caffeine very well.

mountmccabe
09-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah but they do encourge leagal drug use. They are pushed by major drug companies to make some cash. Doctors perscribe legal drugs and don't encourage natural remedies. They only think about right now and what is working for you. Rarely have I experience doctors that attack the long term solution.

What do you mean "natural remedies?" If you are talking exercise and eating well, well, doctors and psychiatrists do recommend that.

If you are talking roots and herbs, then, well, they shouldn't recommend that sort of shit because there isn't the testing, there isn't the study done on those types of things so you can't tell what the hell they'd do and how they'd interact.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 02:58 PM
ok so I am official "bummed" on the way to being depressed. The summer is over so the winter will soon set in Colorado. After 2 winters I am not looking forward to it. Red Rocks is now closed until next May for concerts. No Coachella, APW or festivals of any kind until next year. I am still trying to figure how to reorganize our finances since my Wife went back to school and went to working part time. ugh...maybe I should start doing drugs or start drinking...well, at least I still have a job :thu

SoulDischarge
09-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Do what I do: abduct "big-boned" girls, starve them in a pit, and then cut off their skin to make a suit of lady parts. It's quite the time consumer, releases some creative energy, and just think of how fabulous you'll look when it finally does get nice again.

If that's not really yr thing, I'd recommend drink, drugs, and finding a good library.

amyzzz
09-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Join the millions of others who self-medicate.

I'm going to my husband's doctor on Thursday. He's a regular PCP doctor, so I'll talk to him about some of my issues and maybe ask for a psychiatrist referral or something.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Do what I do: abduct "big-boned" girls, starve them in a pit, and then cut off their skin to make a suit of lady parts. It's quite the time consumer, releases some creative energy, and just think of how fabulous you'll look when it finally does get nice again.

If that's not really yr thing, I'd recommend drink, drugs, and finding a good library.

you know what is shitty? When I live in Las Vegas I was ALWAYS close to a library...since I moved out to Colorado I have been to a library only ONCE and I have to drive quite a bit to get to it...most guys go to a bar and hang out with their buddies after getting out of my work..no I went to the damn library...my wife would always ask me if I was at the library or book store....ugh!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Join the millions of others who self-medicate.

I'm going to my husband's doctor on Thursday. He's a regular PCP doctor, so I'll talk to him about some of my issues and maybe ask for a psychiatrist referral or something.

I have yet to go to the doctor despite having health insurance...namely because I don't know where to find a good one...

CalmerThanYou
09-30-2008, 03:09 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/2465240679_61d3c45856.jpg?v=0

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 03:10 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/2465240679_61d3c45856.jpg?v=0

actually this only makes me more depressed....no more Kraftwerk :(

amyzzz
09-30-2008, 03:10 PM
We (My husband and I) always lose the library books or turn them in late when we first join a library after moving somewhere so we never go back because we don't want to pay the fees.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Never had a late library book.

amyzzz
I have yet to go to the doctor despite having health insurance...namely because I don't know where to find a good one...
My husband was lucky -- he found his doctor when he was doing the wiring for the doctor's new office (Jacob's old job). Really nice Nigerian guy.

locachica73
I had a $4.00 library fee show up on my credit report when I bought my house, and because it was from Oregon I had to send them the check return receipt requested so that I could prove I paid it to the lender.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
I supposed I could try to get into sports and just numb myself with that. Football is pretty big here.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 03:14 PM
I had a $4.00 library fee show up on my credit report when I bought my house, and because it was from Oregon I had to send them the check return receipt requested so that I could prove I paid it to the lender.

hahaha Oregon rocks.

amyzzz
09-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Yikes. I don't know if they do that here. I heard that when you pay your library fees in Phoenix that they don't even use those fees to buy more library books or library stuff. It just goes into a general fund for the city. (not sure on this, and I heard it 10 years ago)

Jon Blazed
09-30-2008, 03:16 PM
you know what is shitty? When I live in Las Vegas I was ALWAYS close to a library...since I moved out to Colorado I have been to a library only ONCE and I have to drive quite a bit to get to it...most guys go to a bar and hang out with their buddies after getting out of my work..no I went to the damn library...my wife would always ask me if I was at the library or book store....ugh!

The Library is a name of a strip club here in Vegas...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 03:18 PM
The Library is a name of a strip club here in Vegas...

thanks tips...I used to live in Las Vegas...born and raised there for 24 years...I actually had friends who worked there...good times...good times...

locachica73
09-30-2008, 03:18 PM
We have a bar named the library, on Thursday nights they have white trash revival nights and they have waitresses wearing booty shorts, wife beaters and big hair selling $1 PBR's.

amyzzz
09-30-2008, 03:20 PM
venturing way off into off-topic land, my favorite band Catherine Wheel played at a bar called The Library when I was 20 years old, and it was a 21 and over show so I couldn't go. For the Chrome tour too, my favorite album of ALL TIME. Sucked.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 03:21 PM
I can't see the attraction to Catherine Wheel..I remember watching their videos all the time on 120 minutes...even saw a few interviews...

Jon Blazed
09-30-2008, 03:23 PM
thanks tips...I used to live in Las Vegas...born and raised there for 24 years...I actually had friends who worked there...good times...good times...

Nice, I was born and raised here for 28 years...29 in a few weeks. East side!!!!!!!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Weird...I was raised on the East side as well....closed to the Boulder Station if it is still called that.

Jon Blazed
09-30-2008, 03:26 PM
That's right next to the Library...strip club.

amyzzz
09-30-2008, 03:28 PM
I can't see the attraction to Catherine Wheel..I remember watching their videos all the time on 120 minutes...even saw a few interviews...
Great, passionate vocals, really interesting harmonies, atmospheric guitars.... Apparently they were heavily influenced by Pink Floyd (and MBV and Joy Division), but I still can't get into PF.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 03:28 PM
my older brother went to LVHS on sunrise mountain..I would rather not say what school I went to.

I hear the LV Economy has really taken a dump...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Great, passionate vocals, really interesting harmonies, atmospheric guitars.... Apparently they were heavily influenced by Pink Floyd (and MBV and Joy Division), but I still can't get into PF.

I haven't heard their stuff in years...maybe I should pick them up and try them out again.

Jon Blazed
09-30-2008, 03:29 PM
good thing i went to college...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 03:30 PM
unlv?

Jon Blazed
09-30-2008, 03:31 PM
my older brother went to LVHS on sunrise mountain..I would rather not say what school I went to.

I hear the LV Economy has really taken a dump...

Opportunity school?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Opportunity school?

I am pleading the 5th on this one.

SoulDischarge
09-30-2008, 03:32 PM
actually this only makes me more depressed....no more Kraftwerk :(

Get the Maximum-Minimum DVD and take lots of pills. Close enough.

I'm lucky with Akron's library. The whole city is going to hell, businesses closing all over the place, the ghetto expanding at every turn, etcetcetc, but we have a new main library with an amazing selection. They've got at least half the Criterion Collection and keep up with new releases, which makes up for the fact that there's absolutely no good video stores in town. The other week I realized their pop culture book selection was incredible and they have a pretty decent graphic novel section (something I've always wanted to get into but never felt like spending the money). They also have guest speakers pretty regularly (I read that Chuck D. spoke at some point while I was living in CA) and screen movies on Thursday nights.

Jon Blazed
09-30-2008, 03:33 PM
unlv?

Hell yes.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Hell yes.

For what? What do you do now?

CalmerThanYou
09-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Hell yes.

VEGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!

oh yeah... :(

I did see 3 nights of Phish there a couple years back in the arena, such good times...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 03:36 PM
VEGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!

oh yeah... :(

I did see 3 nights of Phish there a couple years back in the arena, such good times...

again...so weird...Vegas had very little in the way of a music scene...yet Phish always sold out no matter where they played. I was working at Mandalay Bay when they played the HOB though..it was fun seeing all the hippies in the casino..

CalmerThanYou
09-30-2008, 03:41 PM
the weekend that phish was there, i swear to god ive never seen so many people freaked out in Vegas of all places. Hippies playing blackjack, sleeping in lobbies, it was a riot.

phish sells out no matter where they play (due to the fact that half of the audience is following them on their tour selling grilled cheese and slanging acid to survive)

CalmerThanYou
09-30-2008, 03:41 PM
VEGOOOOSE FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

VEGOOOOOOSE FTL!!!!!!!!!