PDA

View Full Version : Eminem as headliner in 2011

jsjwitt
10-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Has the number one album and could be the headlining rap star this year

tigermilkboy
10-13-2010, 06:31 AM
Because every year Coachella has had headlining rap, right?

gaypalmsprings
10-13-2010, 06:50 AM
He was a lot of fun to see at Epicenter 2010. I think the crowd would enjoy him.

higgybaby23
10-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Does Eminem ever perform without lip synching or using a backing track? Just wondering, as all the times I've seen him on television this was the case.

GuyInTucson
10-13-2010, 07:48 AM
I have seen Eminem three times and he always raps live. He may have an actual track playing in the background, but he's always rapping live. I have a couple of recordings, recent and old, where he has no backing track at all.

Twice when I saw him, he killed it; once he was awful, but that was right after he released Encore and that is, by far, his worst album.

I would enjoy it if he were at Coachella, but I am not sure a lot of people would agree with me. If he has a live band backing him and a few solid guests, then yes, for sure.

Again, not sure many will agree though.

captncrzy
10-13-2010, 07:52 AM

This.

locachica73
10-13-2010, 08:11 AM
I would actually really like to see him someday. I wonder if his shows are still as good now that he is sober.

betao
10-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Not at Coachella.

juloxx
10-13-2010, 08:36 AM
I support this. I mean ya, your gonna have a lot of people whine about how he isn't Coachella enough, but still bomb music is bomb music. If he would avoid preforming songs off the later part of his career that would be ideal.

So what, because Jay-Z headlined we cant ever have a hip-hop headliner again?

GuyInTucson
10-13-2010, 08:38 AM
I support this. I mean ya, your gonna have a lot of people whine about how he isn't Coachella enough, but still bomb music is bomb music. If he would avoid preforming songs off the later part of his career that would be ideal.

So what, because Jay-Z headlined we cant ever have a hip-hop headliner again?

I think Paul Tollett alluded to Jay-Z being the only rap artist that could fit the headlining bill at Coachella. I am a big Eminem fan and even I see what he means.

I personally would love it, but I understand why people don't think Coachella is best suited for him.

koryp
10-13-2010, 08:47 AM
I don't think you understand what you'll get. This is not the marshal mathers of old. I walked over at voodoo for a peek and saw a flat, limited emotion, actor performing a show. This wasn't the punk ass, fuck you if you don't like me white boy, ripping out fresh rhymes. I've watched plenty of artist get sober and the truth is it takes 3-5 years before they start reclaiming the stage presence they had before addiction or during it. It takes a while to feel safe pushing yourself to that emotional state, and he doesn't appear to have it yet. Don't know if he ever will. I won't even go into any other reasons he fails as a headliner.

juloxx
10-13-2010, 08:48 AM
I think Paul Tollett alluded to Jay-Z being the only rap artist that could fit the headlining bill at Coachella. I am a big Eminem fan and even I see what he means.

I personally would love it, but I understand why people don't think Coachella is best suited for him.

Honestly I dont think he meant that, unless he doesn't even know who Outkast is (or even Dre at that). I just think he was trying to show some support for Jay, since people were flipping out that he selected Jay-Z as a headliner. All that hip-hopchella and everyone is gonna get robbed and raped by thugs gobbilty gook.

FoxeyLady
10-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Eminem does use backing tracks now, on almost all of his songs, whether you can tell or not. Everything I used to love about this guy is gone. He's dead to me.

TheRotten42
10-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Can I get a time machine back to high school when people actually though he was semi good because of his wife bashing comedy raps instead of a reinvented Snow and I may possibly consider agreeing with this but I wouldnt hold your breath.

Chromezeppelin
10-13-2010, 09:13 AM
i wanna say no but i think it would be ok as long as the other 2 headliners i can really get excited about

pachucasunrise
10-13-2010, 09:21 AM
performing the Marshall Mathers LP front to back? yes. otherwise? meh.

Neighborhood Creep
10-13-2010, 09:32 AM
HE USES A LIVE BAND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyZYDU-2qdM&feature=related

ELECtROjan
10-13-2010, 11:04 AM
One his own....2nd Level

"Detox" Live ft. Dr. Dre + Eminem = Headliner ... which i am all for because it (like Jay Z) would offer me a chance to see something I would never go see elsewhere

tigermilkboy
10-13-2010, 11:11 AM
I have always appreciated Eminem's recording history. But I have been consistently underwhelmed with the live performances. The few headline shows I have witnessed were killed by the number of guests, intermissions and cartoons/video and the lack of Eminem. It was more other stuff than Eminem. The Eminem bits were pretty good, it was the other stuff that felt more like show filler.
If he gave me 90% Eminem then I would be interested. I don't get why he needs guests? It would be like going to see Radiohead headline, having The Liars play a couple of Radiohead's tunes, RH play two songs, then Beck gives us a acoustic version of another RH song, some video, a few more RH songs then Bat For Lashes play a RH song.
I wanna see Eminem perform not some crappy rappers/street performers/videos.

Sublime
10-13-2010, 11:14 AM
performing the Marshall Mathers LP front to back? yes.

that'd be worth the ticket by itself. otherwise? meh.

stephen22
10-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Eminem would be a step below Jack Johnson for me. He is a legit headliner (probably more so than most of this years HLs), but I've never been into him at all.

Of course there is more than 1 stage going at a time.

sweet3400
10-13-2010, 11:46 AM
He would be way better than Jay Z or Kanye i think and it would be cool if dre or Snoop played with him.

rasooli
10-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Fuck no, Eminem is garbage.

GuyInTucson
10-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Fuck no, Eminem is garbage.

Incorrect

rasooli
10-13-2010, 11:59 AM
no, correct.

Mr. Dylanja
10-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Everything I used to love about this guy is gone. He's dead to me.

I feel the same way, I was such a huge fan in the early days. Can't really blame him though, it's hard to keep that hungry, underground mentality after experiencing that much success.

GuyInTucson
10-13-2010, 12:15 PM
no, correct.

no you're wrong.

He may not be the best option for Coachella and you may not necessarily like his work, but to call him "garbage" is fucking idiotic.

Dude has respect from hip hop's elite. Jay-Z, Nas, Andre 3000, Black Thought, Kanye, Q-Tip, Mos Def... shit even old school legends like Rakim, Grandmaster Caz, DMC, Chuck D and countless others have all credited him for being one of the best at what he does.

Yeah he's released some bad material, but what emcee hasn't?

I'd rather see Eminem in the headlining spot than see some douchebag like Sage Francis anywhere on the poster.

GuyInTucson
10-13-2010, 12:22 PM
I feel the same way, I was such a huge fan in the early days. Can't really blame him though, it's hard to keep that hungry, underground mentality after experiencing that much success.

I felt this way until I heard relapse. Even that album was kinda wishy washy. I like recovery though. On Encore and during his Benzino battles and work with 50/G-Unit, his lyricism fell off.

If you listen to Encore, then listen to Relapse and Recovery, you can see he has gone back to focussing on his lyrics.

That being said, I can see him at lolla, but not Coachella.

stephen22
10-13-2010, 12:26 PM
My guess is that IF we get a hip hop/rap artist as a headliner, we are getting the Beasties. I know everyone argues over if they are still a headliner and whatnot, but they are gonna be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, have a new album, and Coachella would be the perfect spot for them to make their return.

GuyInTucson
10-13-2010, 12:27 PM
I'd be cool with the Beasties if they don't spend half their set talking politics like they did in 2003.

Mr. Dylanja
10-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I felt this way until I heard relapse. Even that album was kinda wishy washy. I like recovery though. On Encore and during his Benzino battles and work with 50/G-Unit, his lyricism fell off.

If you listen to Encore, then listen to Relapse and Recovery, you can see he has gone back to focussing on his lyrics.

That being said, I can see him at lolla, but not Coachella.

With Em, below average lyricism is still way better than almost anyone else. For me, it's the delivery and song structure.

Too much singing, too much of the trying-to-be-angry inflection. I think I'm the only one that enjoys his delivery on 3am. Everybody else hates the accents on that album but I prefer him trying to be goofy and witty opposed to heartfelt and emotional. For me, his heartfelt stuff will always come across more sincere in the earlier releases.

As far as the song structure, I don't like the direction he went at all. It's all poppy now. I guess the band and stuff is cool, it probably sounds better live, but still NEEDS MOAR DR. DRE! How many tracks did he produce of the latest record, 1 or 2? And as far as singing, he just shouldn't do it, AT ALL.

And if there's going to be a hip hop headliner it's going to be KANYE WEST.

GuyInTucson
10-13-2010, 12:53 PM
With Em, below average lyricism is still way better than almost anyone else. For me, it's the delivery and song structure.

Too much singing, too much of the trying-to-be-angry inflection. I think I'm the only one that enjoys his delivery on 3am. Everybody else hates the accents on that album but I prefer him trying to be goofy and witty opposed to heartfelt and emotional. For me, his heartfelt stuff will always come across more sincere in the earlier releases.

As far as the song structure, I don't like the direction he went at all. It's all poppy now. I guess the band and stuff is cool, it probably sounds better live, but still NEEDS MOAR DR. DRE! How many tracks did he produce of the latest record, 1 or 2? And as far as singing, he just shouldn't do it, AT ALL.

Totally agree with the singing part. and I am not sure he is producing any of his newer tracks. I think he lets Denaun (Mr Porter) do a lot of his work along with Dre.

And you aren't the only one who enjoys his delivery in 3 am. That's - IMO - easily the best track on relapse.

Distorted_Jungle
10-13-2010, 01:04 PM

This is sad but true, fish sticks.

Neighborhood Creep
10-13-2010, 01:10 PM
loved 3am but I liked Stay Wide Awake, Medicine Ball and Hello better on Relapse